Black Tuesday - The Bruery

2014: 19.7% ABV
2015: 19.9% ABV
Reviews: 619 | Hads: 3,347
4.3/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured from a bottle into my Orval tulip.

This is a black as night beer with a small brown head that didn't leave any lacing. Smells of burnt char and nice chocolate. This drinks exceptionally smooth and well and awesomely drinkable for a 20% beer (this was the 2009 bottle).

I like this beer and would like to drink some more of it, but you really want to have someone around to help share it with as it will mess you up.

4.29/5  rDev -4%

2011 bottle, shared 4 ways.

Black body, mild tan head, average lace. Mildly carbonated. Complex aroma: roasty malts, caramel, toffee, plenty of booze, vanilla, and chocolate.

Roasty with lots of malty sweetness. Torrents of caramel, toffee, vanilla, and chocolate amidst the boozy background. Turns sweeter and more boozy as it warms. Still plenty of fermentable sugars present; this beer will be awesome in a year or two.

The 2010 BT we had a few weeks back alongside Chocolate Rain was a significantly better beer. I won't be opening my other 2011s for at least 1.5 years. Great potential, needs time!

4.29/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A must-try, just make sure you have someone/s to share it with! Had the 2012 on 11/14/14

After having had the 2014 recently, I'll add that the aging really cut through the heat for me and made this a really enjoyable beer. Love it fresh too, it's just a lot.

4.29/5  rDev -4%

Had on tap at The Bruery.
It's an Imperial Stout and 19.5%! It poured pitch black, hence the name, and smelled of: vanilla, dark chocolate, malt and bourbon. It tasted like molasses, brown sugar, chocolate malt, prunes, raisins, espresso, slight anise and an oaky bourbon finish, which actually wasn't that strong of an alcohol burn considering it's 19.5%! All in all, it was delicious.

4.29/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Holy crap, huge beer (2012 vintage). First time with the BT. Weren't sure what to expect when we cracked this, after a few whiffs and a couple of sips, cracked the benchmark by which I compare all BA Stouts to - BCBS. While the BCBS (2012) got the BT today in smoothness, drinkability, overall experience, the BT was damn good, albeit, HOT! I would go as far as to say, as big as it is today, it may have more potential than BCBS in the future. The BCBS is just so damn good right now. Glad we have a few bottles of the BT to age, look forward to revisiting in 12-18 months. We should have sat on this one longer, but glad we tried it.

4.28/5  rDev -4.3%

750ml poured into a tulip. Split with russwbeck and tasted side-by-side with Chocolate Rain. Epic.

A - Living up to its name, Black Tuesday is black. Shiny, glossy, foreboding black. A surprising amount of carbonation and bubbles can be seen slowly rising up the sides of the glass, continuously feeding and resupplying the tan head, which peaks at around a finger in height but slowly receding to about a half-finger cap that lasts forever. It is surprisingly noticeably darker than Chocolate Rain, which takes on a ruddy brown color in comparison.

S - In comparison to Chocolate Rain and going back and forth, Black Tuesday actually comes across as significantly less bold and in your face. The chocolate and roast are still key components here, though the chocolate is less sweet, but with the less ostentatious aroma comes a little bit more mellow aroma in terms of anise and alcohol. It's hard to say which one is actually 'better' as they are two different beasts.

T - The minute this liquid hits my lips, it's memorable. This instantly rockets to the top of my list of sweetest stouts, fighting neck and neck with Three Floyds' Dark Lord. I don't really get as much bourbon as I thought I would in the front, but there is some in the finish and underneath everything. A little bit of char and liquid smoke, and exceptionally malty. Slight bits of anise, and a surprising amount of dark fruits to add to it. Like sugar-coated, alcohol-soaked fruit. To wrap everything up is a warming alcohol that is always on the mind, but not constantly nagging with its astringency.

M - Mouthfeel is heavy-bodied with decent carbonation. Thick and offensively bold, Black Tuesday invades the palate and infests it with a syrupy feel that weighs heavily on the palate.

D/O - Drinkability is moderate. The sweetness and alcohol heat keeps it from being on par with Chocolate Rain, but it is still very much up there in terms of imperial stouts. Probably doesn't come across as much as the ABV would suggest, but it is noticeable. Although I am drinking half a bottle of this and half a bottle of Chocolate Rain side-by-side, I couldn't imagine drinking a whole bottle of this alone, but Chocolate Rain would probably be feasible.

4.28/5  rDev -4.3%

Must say this was as good as advertised...

Beautiful Big Black Pour with an amazing nose!!

Sweet sweet bourbon in this bad boy. From the nose to the taste.. Big and Bold but also extremely smooth. Warming all over !!!

VEry good beer...So glad i was able to try this one!

4.28/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours an oily, not completely black color with brown-red hints in it, with a small bubbly mohagony head, collapsing to a small lacing. The beer reveals thick alcohol legs after swirling, coating up the edges of the glass.

Offers an intense nose, consisting of scorched cocoa nibs, molasses and an intense warmth, resulting from the Bourbon barrel. Bourbon blends perfectly into sweeter, dark and full bodied aromas, revealing dried earth and walnut shell, topped off by a note of cinnamon and wooden vanilla. Very intriguing and well balanced, promising a huge, warming beer.

Drinks surprisingly easy, don't get me wrong, you can tell this is a big beer, but its Bourbon characteristic is amazingly well integrated into the beers overall taste. Drinks expectedly smooth, with a silk, full-bodied mouthfeel, featuring a long lasting warmth, while the taste evolves throughout, challenging the tastebuds in a pleasant way.

Tastes almost instantly of Bourbon, while its presence in the beer is that fundamental, that it only lends wooden oak initially to a foundation of burned rock sugar, wrapped up in a huge amount of earth and bakers chocolate. Develops a spicy, burning but pleasant bite, being far away fom numbing the palate, together with a present oakiness. Cocoa nibs develop more presence, as do vanilla beans, accompanied by a dry, warming Bourbon burn. Bourbon doesn't want to leave the palate at all, while milk chocolate and a note of creamy caramel join in, countering the wooden dryness perfectly. Ends with a long lasting glow, wandering down the throat, accompanied by chocolate, oak and a note of cinnamon.

A unique experience without a doubt. We zipped on this all night, and it took me more than a glass to adjust to the huge body of the beer. After that, it has been a real pleasure to drink it, while I can not confirm that this beer has a relatively thin mouthfeel, which is what I read before more than often. It exhibits a strinking depth and complexity, centered all around well entangled Bourbon, which always saves enough room on the palate for other flavors to unfold.

497th review on BA
Bottle to Bruery Tulip
750, Capped & Waxed
2010 Bottle

Split 6 ways for Bottle 5 of 5 for Birthday dinner. Even my wife, who most of you have seen me post about said this is pretty good.

App- This was a Black Stout, I have said it before, but this was damn dark. Only thing is that no head formed, no lacing not real carbonation level to it.

Smell- Everything I had heard about this about being hot, being too big in the aromatics was a little over done. This was big yes, but it was smooth, boozy, and sweet. Smelled a lot like a port vs a stout. Very dark chocolate with the dark fruits and Bourbon scents with some vanilla as well.

Taste- Not at all how hot I thought it would be. It was big and rich and lush. The flavors were very mellow but you can tell the ABV on this while smash you alone. The vanilla and chocolate blend with some some of the port flavors.

Mouth- This is exactly how I felt a stout should be on the palate. It was lush, creamy, smooth, rich, decadant and full. A very full bodied stout with a low carbonation.

Drink- I sat on this bottle since its release in October for a special occasion and I fiqured a birthday to be one of them. I am sure Ill keep trying to acquire this year to year. Wonderful brew! To the team at The Bruery. Nicely done.

4.27/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Super boozy (obviously at 19%) but not moonshine status surprisingly. Oak and bourbon notes at first, followed by vanilla and sugar. Very sweet; a desert beer in my opinion. Not the best barrel aged beer, but a good one. Hardly worth $40 a bottle though.

4.27/5  rDev -4.5%

Huge Props to Abecall98 for providing this in trade about a year ago. This bottle is from the original release and is marked as 19.5% abv.

Pours into my tulip glass with an almost brown/copper head that doesn't last long and collapses upon it's own weight. A hint of things to come on just how big of a beer this is. More like "legs" in the glass vs. lacing. The beer coats the inside of the glass. A shiney dark brown/almost black color. Looks like a mixture of used motor oil and maple syrup or molasses.

The aroma was so intense, bold and complex I am not sure where to start. Sweet, chocolate, a touch of vanilla, even some chocolate syrup. Much less alcohol than I would have guessed for 19.5%

Holy snikees is this a big beer. The sweetness is really right in your face. Dessert in a glass. Chocolate syrup again, then this gives way to a lot of complexity. Dark chocolate, very slight bourbon & vanilla. Sweet roasted malt. Ok, I have to admit, I thought of ST Crème Brulee when I drank this, minus the big vanilla. What I find interesting is that was a LOVE/Hate beer due to the big sweetness. And this one is universally loved. It's consistent for me, as I am a Crème Brule fan. This just drinks like it should offend some more in my book. If I had a wish it was that the bourbon came through a little more. Perhaps the time has settled that flavor a bit. Got coconut at times mixed with the dark chocolate flavors. This went well with the sweetness.

Just and I mean just shy of syrup like. I said to a buddy that if I had vanilla ice cream we'd try the two together. Alas, I did not. Thick is the only word to use to describe the body. Slick on your tongue. But not cloying.

The abv is so well hidden that it's scary. The sweetness and complexity keeps it below the surface, but soon you get a warm happy feeling. It's very very good. Not a top ten for me, but I am stoked I had a chance to enjoy a bottle.

I did get a chance to try this at the beer fest last year but it was fun to share a bottle with a couple buddies.

Thanks Abel!

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: Brown(ish)/ pitch black color…Vanishing (next to no) head and no lacing

S: Syrupy if you will: caramel, vanilla, & dark fruits. As well as bourbon and some chocolate

T: Dark fruits, vanilla accompanied by a coffee/dark chocolate texture. The bourbon & booze content is there, but I wouldn’t say it’s overwhelming.

M: Soft, easygoing, comfortable, and particularly smooth are the adjectives I’ll use to describe what most 19% beers are not.

O: When drunken leisurely, you’ll find this to be quite scrumptious…Definitely in there with the top of its class, when taken into consideration the content and style of the beer.

Date: 07/31/2010
Vintage: 2009
Type: 750ml. Bottle
Glassware: Portsmouth Tulip

Sampled at The Epic Sweer & Sour Tasting I w/ wunderbeer(Ron), ShadesofGray(Ryan), and big Dan. Nice event!

Poured a midnight black in color w/ a thin tan that left no lacing. Looks the consistency of 10W-30 motor oil. The nose was of chocolate malt, oak, bourbon, and a unique fig aroma. The taste was of chocolate, bourbon, oak, and dark fruits. The mouthfeel is thick as hell, like a milkshake. Drinkability is about as good as it can possibly be for a 19.50% alcohol beer, but was still slumping me under the table.

Overall, tremendous brew that as much as it sadens me say, lives up to the hype and billing. Great Imperial Stout from Cali!

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2012 Bottle.
Pours a deep dark black and starts to look slightly brown as it reaches the top of the glass. Little to no head. Not quite as thick and viscous as I imagined.
Aroma is nice - strong bourbon, bakers chocolate, vanilla beans, deep roasted malts and a big alcohol note.
This beer is so sweet, brunt sugar, rich chocolate and booze. The beer is incredibly boozy and hot, you can taste the bourbon and a bit of oak on the finish.
Mouthfeel is creamy and pretty nice. Overall it was good but not amazing. Way to sweet for me. Got down about 8 oz, which was just enough.

4.25/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours a thick deep brown and a nice dark tan head. The aroma is overwhelming of bourbon and sweet chocolate. Just by the aroma you can tell it's a strong beer.

Taste is very complex and rich, dark chocolate mixed with coffee and maybe some vanilla, bourbon and oak are strong as well without one flavor dominating, it's a bit hard to put a finger on what your tasting at a single moment. The bourbon might be the most dominate which kinda detracts from the beer goodness I know is underneath.

The mouthfeel is indeed very thick and rich and to be honest a bit hard to drink by itself and needs a nice food complement to I think fully enjoy the nuances of this beer.

Overall a great beer, but a couple things need to be better balanced to hide the bourbon a bit more and to ease the drinkability... needs to be smoothed out. I had a 2011 bottle so it's likely aged bottles will be better balanced.

4.25/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle: Poured a clear light dark black color ale with a nice dark brown foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of rich thick black chocolate notes with light molasses and some roasted malt is quite sublime. Taste is an incredible mix of thick black chocolate with some roasted malt and some light molasses. Body is quite full with good carbonation and surprisingly no alcohol is easily apparent. Light oak and vanilla notes can also be detected. I was expecting somewhat of a messy overly sweet beers bit this is actually very smooth with plenty of complexity.

4.25/5  rDev -4.9%

Reviewed from notes from The Bruery tasting I hosted Saturday night. 2011 vintage

Poured from 750 ml bottle into a Half Acre tulip.

A- Pours black with a 1 finger light tan head. Small bubbles form along the edge of the glass and reside quickly.

S- Big chocolate, bourbon, hint of vanilla, and some leather.

T- Very sweet chocolate, licorice, lots of bourbon, and some heat at the finish.

M- Full body, medium carbonation. Huge beer, definitely a sipper from the heat this beer brings.

O- What can I say? Huge beer with a ton of sweet chocolate and big bourbon notes.

4.25/5  rDev -4.9%

Considering the Hype on this beer, I had to get a hold of ONE. Scored on the raffle this year, and comp 3 bottles.
Bottle poured in a snifter glass

A. Poured deep rich black with a hue of amber/brown, little to no head cream in color

S. Toasted charred wood with a hint of bourbon note, light vanilla and caramel in addition bold malt, chocolate, and molasses, which i think hides the most 18% alcohol well yet tingle the nostril.

T. Had a nice well balance base of chocolate, molasses, and slight licorice. In front was an underwhelming taste of bourbon, but a prominent deep yet not overpowering hint of oak and vanilla that I thought was lovely. On the back, there was a nice touch of charred wood similar to Smoking Wood which didn't pack a strong punch, but linger with a hint of alcohol sweetness and dissipated slowly.

Mouth feel was fairly balance, but to my taste was a little on the heavy side which can be overwhelming if you're drinking 12-16oz. lovely velvet texture that coats the mouth and smooth

O. Great overall beer, well balance smooth deep roasted chocolate and rich malt. I can see the hype of the beer because for 18% ABV I mention little alcohol presence, but I felt it lacks something, and personally I don't know what that is. To me everything seem like it was blended amazingly well that it was almost near perfection, yet fell a little short and incomplete. It needed that curve ball that tells you DAMN this is one hell of a beer. NO SHOCK VALUE

Will see if my opinion changes after a year in my cellar

Personal side note
Will I buy it again? Of COURSE; Will I buy 3 bottles? NO (wish they served a 2-4oz taster on tap, smh); Will I join the reserve society to get a hold of this bottle? No

4.25/5  rDev -4.9%

Appearance: Pours out a foreboding black body with a wispy, wild, beige head.

Smell: Heavy concentrated, sweet-smelling aroma of dark malts with an equally strong, entrancing scent of quality bourbon. Mm-mmm!

Taste: Starts sharply, arrestingly sweet, then in rolls some dark fruits lusciously coated in creamy bittersweet chocolate ganache, brown sugar, and blackstrap molasses and spiced with some star anise. Even doses of vanilla and zesty, charred oak character. Additional dribble of prune juice and a chilled cup of Americano. Warming (though thankfully not boozy or harsh), sweet-tasting (but not cloying) finish.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied. Medium carbonation. Particularly velvety mouthfeel.

Drinkability: A phenomenal, fierce brew! It's about as easily drinkable as something of this magnitude or degree of sweetness can be. Take it slow, bring some friends, and enjoy yourself.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A-Black in the glass one finger off white head.

S-Bourbon, lots of it. Some roasted malt, chocolate and slight coffee.

T-Lots of bourbon. Some roasted malt, slight chocolate. The high level of bourbon when fresh dominates any other flavors.

M-Medium to heavy in body, not much carbonation.

O-Just too much bourbon, to alcoholic when fresh. It needs to sit and balance out.

4.24/5  rDev -5.1%

Celebratory last beer in CA.

A- Pours out of the bottle like a sludge of viscous oil. A dark mocha head forms to about a half centimeter and falls to a creamy ring around the glass. Sticky legs and only a few lace spots.

S- Starts out as a fudge, cocoa forward massive stout with big dark raisins and subdued bourbon. Warmth allows the oak, whiskey and vanilla to come out. When warm it is amazing bourbon brownie dessert greatness.

T- Just like the aroma but one major difference, sweetness really comes out. The great cocoa, fudge, truffle, whiskey, raisin fruit, vanilla profile is brought down somewhat by a big sweet table sugar presence. Don't get me wrong, it is good but would be phenomenal if this wasnt the case.

MF- Oily, super thick (most ever) body with a surprisingly creamy and slick oily body. Not as warm as I expected, just a nice alcohol compliment.

A true dessert beer. The sweetness (surprised more reviews don't mention it) is the only thing that keeps this from being spectacular. It is also the first time a beer really made me feel more drunk, sip by sip. Very well hidden alcohol, would take some alcohol flavor for a cut in sweetness though.

4.24/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2012 Vintage... taking this bottle down by myself...

A: Pours black, with brown hues on the edges. There is a think bubbly khaki colored head that fades quickly, leaving a small frothy ring along the edges of the beer. There is no lacing as it drinks.

S: The nose is really sweet. I get prunes, raisins, dates, some caramel, and maybe a bit of vanilla extract.

T: It starts out with a big burst of sugary sweetness. I get prunes, caramel, and vanilla extract, and white chocolate. The beer get's hugely boozy in the back end, but you kind of expect that with a 19.2% beer.

M: Full bodied beer. Sweet and smooth to start, but once the liquid moves off the palate, it gets sticky and almost syrupy.

O: This is a good beer. I don't know if I'd call it great, but I'm enjoying it. It's very sweet, and that is usually a turn off for me, but the alcohol is so high that it cuts the sweetness a bit. It's going to be a chore to finish this bottle by myself. Challenge accepted!

4.23/5  rDev -5.4%

Split with 3 other people courtesy of MrFootstones.

Aroma- tobacco, chocolate, clean alchohol, earthy dirt, mineral, vanilla, molasses, oak, wood, roasted/charred malt. whiskey.

App - rich dark brown foam. creamy. black with mahogany edge. good retention. legs.

Taste- roasty, chocolate. caramel, lots of specialty malt and unfermentables. slightly funky off malt complexity - too many malts. delicious layered flavor. licorice. brown sugar. hops are balanced and not distinct. very sweet but also intense overall.

Mouthfeel- full, sweet and cloying if drank too fast. low fine carb. lots of clean alcohol- it is there but not harsh. syrup. could be better but great for a huge beer.

Overall- similiar to Bourbon County Stout but not as good. I would prefer an Abyss or BCS over this, but it is very good. The alcohol is strong so a 6 oz pour is enough.

4.23/5  rDev -5.4%

2009 vintage. This one pours a viscous oily midnight black with no head. It smells of dark chocolate, roasted coffee, and intense dark fruit sweetness. It has a really sweet nose. It drinks of chocolate coffee syrup and is insanely flavorful despite the sweetness. The chocolate and dark fruits work very well together. It's smooth, thick, and syrupy and could be hard to finish due to sugar and alcohol but its an intense imperial stout. This is just a massive beer and despite the abv, is not too hot having mellowed slightly, being the 2009 vintage. While good, I don't know why this vintage demands so much on the trade block.

4.23/5  rDev -5.4%

Several samples on tap at the GABF. Late in the night when they stopped serving this I spotted a wasted volunteer (in a sombrero) just pouring himself glass after glass of this and slamming it. I am 100% sure he had no idea what he was drinking. Priceless.

App- Black as night. Motor oil in a glass with a thick brown head. Beautiful.

SM- Bourbon, espresso, vanilla, chocolate. Very sweet.

Ta- Very similar to the smell, but with some heat. Have to say people overdo the heat aspect in their reviews. Had I not know the ABV, I would have guessed this was ~9%. The oakiness really plays nice with all the other flavors.

MF- The super subtle carbonation cuts the sweetness beautifully. You keep tasting this long after you are done.

DR- A beautiful sipper.

I don't know if any beer deserves the hype that this one has gotten, but it sure does it's best. Great beer.

Black Tuesday from The Bruery