Black Tuesday - The Bruery

2011: 18.3% ABV
2012: 19.2% ABV
2013: 18.9% ABV
2014: 19.7% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Black Tuesday Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,248 | Reviews: 632
4.32/5  rDev -5.1%

I got a pretty small pour of this one as it was split many ways at the tasting, huge thanks to the man who brought it. In all honesty, I don't know if I'd even want more than a couple ounces. The aroma is all sorts of heady, with tons of bourbon, chocolate, and sugar going on. The taste is similar with lots and lots of sweetness. Some underlying chocolate and vanilla from the bourbon. I've said it before, but never has it applied more - this one's a sipper. The first thing that came to mind for me was the similarity to bourbon county stout just from the full-on rush of sensation. The tastes are similar (although this one's a little more sweetness and chocolate and a little less outright bourbon) and since I'm a huge fan of BCS that can only be a good thing. Glad I got a chance to try this very special beer.

4.32/5  rDev -5.1%

2011 vintage. On tap at the Bruery for 2011 Black Tuesday release.

Pours very dark coffee brown, some small bubbles but basically no head. Smell is well integrated bourbon and chocolate, big aroma of dark cocoa powder, some vanilla bean, cola and mocha. Really good stuff. Taste is pretty dry bourbon, mocha/chocolate syrup, some cola, moderate alcohol (but I guess not bad given the ABV), finishing again with a hefty dose of cocoa and also a light espresso bitterness. Very light carbonation and kind of thin/Coca Cola-like body. There's a moderate amount of alcohol burn which kind of overwhelms the light body. Overall, this is a big stout with nicely integrated flavors, improved by the barrel, but lacks body and is a little hot. Still, at 18% this is drinkable enough--surely a miracle of nature.

Between this, Chocolate Rain, and S'More Tuesday, this was my least favorite.

4.3/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured from a bottle into a Portsmouth tulip. The pour is oil-thick, viscous and dark. There is a thin mocha head that quickly fades to nothing, leaving the most oily lacing behind I have ever seen.

The nose is an intense blast of bourbon, followed closely by undertones of caramel, vanilla and wood. There is a complimentary dark chocolate, that is rich and strong. The boozy sweetness is intense, almost burning the nostrils.

The taste follows the smell very closely, the bourbon is first and foremost, hitting the tongue and giving a strong introduction. The sweet vanilla, caramel and wood characteristics compliment the bourbon nicely. The finish is hot and boozy, with a nice strong brown sugar component. The rich dark chocolate takes on a powdery cocoa quality on the tongue. Beyond the bourbon, chocolate and vanilla notes there are hints of dark fruits, layers of figs and hints of cherries; this beer surprises at every sip. The flavor is much more approachable than I expected.

The beer is thick, viscous and "chewy" with adequate carbonation. The flavors compliment the high alcohol nicely, making this much more approachable than it should be. I couldn't enjoy an entire bottle, but for this high an abv, the beer is very drinkable. I wish there was another glass in my near future.

From notes on 1/1/12:

Bottle poured into a wine glass.

Pours black, with a bit of light seeping through giving dark brown edges. Tan head quickly retreats and leaves no form of lacing. When tilting the glass it looks a bit thinner than I previously imagined.

Bourbon barrel is very intense with lots of vanilla and charred oak. Rich chocolate, brown sugar, and dark fruit are all present.

Wow. Very sweet from the malt and chocolate. Barrel character remains very strong in the taste. The dark fruit came out much more so than in the nose. Dark cherries, fig, and plums.

Carbonation was somewhat low, which was surprising, and the body is medium.

This is one of the best barrel aged stouts I've had, and easily the most rich and intense. A quintessential sipping stout. Give yourself and another (or 3) an afternoon for this one.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Newtonty hooked us up tonight!!! Okay, I'm going to be as objective as possible on this recently uber-hyped beer.

Amazing packaging adorn this one with a fine, black wax head.

From luke warm, put in a freezer 20 minutes, then removed. The initial temp during the pour was a little too cold for my tastes.

Pours in my snifter as dark as a starless night. Black with a dark cocoa head with small bubbles. Only a faint halo remains after a few minutes in my snifter. A fine topaz ring can be see around the edges of my glass.

The nose on this one is VERY big, even at the present cold temperature. Big, woody, yet sweet malts, nuances of sweet flavors like vanilla, caramel and molasses. It's like a malt extract or Caro syrup in it's thickness. I get faint cocoa, big dark chocolate fudge and black licorice, at times, as well. Very big and complex overall. Sublime...

The mouth reflects the nose on this. This is a not a beer for the mild... Even at it's current cold temperature, I can't get over the thickness (chewiness) in the mouthfull. It's like drinking an oil slick mixed with maple syrup! This beer, at times, reminds me of the blending involved with the Firestone Walker anniversary beers. Overall, I get a mix of flavors including big, sweet malts, aggressive sweetness, vanilla, chocolate, figs, black licorice and caramel. The flavors are huge and in your face the entire time. I was actually surprised how little alcohol burn there was through out, but it was present.

This beer is very complex, but not "in your face, big with flavors", but it actually is at the same time. It was almost too sweet for me at times, like the brewer intentionally added as many core ingredients to the beer before turning this liquid into a solid!

Wow, lots going on, recommended.

4.3/5  rDev -5.5%

Sampled at GABF on 9/18/2010. This Imperial Stout pours a deep black color from the tap. Medium sized tan foamy head. The aroma is chocolate, coffee, roasted malt, vanilla and woody with some alcohol. A full bodied Imperial Stout. A VERY BIG Imperial Stout. The malts are chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, some bourbon and some cherry. The hops are herbal. This beer has a big alcohol presence, I mean a whole lot of alcohol, the first sip and smell are dominated by the alcohol, after that the other flavors start coming through. There is a nice mix of malts, sweetness, vanilla and wood going on here, once you get past the big alcohol blast. This beer has an awesome potential for aging. It is very good now, but a couple or five years of bottle aging would make this beer even more amazing. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly sweet.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a very dark black with some gorgeous reddish tints on the edges, a touch of off white head. Very Solid thick appearance. Smells incredibly sweet and chocolatey. Tons of brown sugar o the nose. Tastes like chocolate syrup and brown sugar! Tons and tons of sweetness. Very sweet and overpowering but incredibly drinkable for being 18.2%. Surprisingly drinkable..

4.3/5  rDev -5.5%

After having a (really, really) small sample at the HTOD, I was able to try this again at a more formal tasting where I got a good amount to taste.

Pours a deep brown/black- with a small head. Smell is ok- nothing exceptional- strong roasted wood smell coupled with some chocolate and molasses.

Taste is great- You can taste the bourbon paired with the chocolate and it goes together very very well. However my only qualm is that for a thick looking beer it drinks very very thin and makes for a average mouthfeel. However this does help cover the massive ABV.

Overall I was slightly disappointed with this beer- with all this hype I was expecting a mental/sensory explosion- needless to say, I didn't get it.

11/15/2012 *Update*
Now I've had this more than several times, I'm inclined to bump up the scoring. When this first came out, there was this massive aura of HYPE WHALZ around this and it negatively impacted how I , along with several other people viewed tis beer. As it has progressed through the years and lessened that hypeness, it has grown to hold its own among other great BA imperial stouts and I can safety say it's a beer I'd seek out.

4.3/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Small amount had at the recent BA tasting in Portland. Someone earlier described this beer as liquid chocolate cake and I think that was my experience as well. There was almost no alcohol present in the nose, and exceptionally well hidden in the beer, where I also became another one of the people wondering how that happens at 19%. Everything else I have ever had in that range had an alcohol burn even after a few years of aging, but this didn't at all. The taste REALLY fills every corner of the mouth with a chewy sticky sweetness that is balanced by enough barrel flavors to keep it more than pleasant. The mouthfeel was the most memorable component of the beer for me.

No way could anyone really enjoy a full bottle of this alone, so how about crowing Black Tuesday the best beer of all time in a new "dinner party dessert beer" category?

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours a black color with a dark cocoa head. Head fades away to a small ring of bubbles.

S- Very wonderful smell and a lot going on here. Woody, sweet malts, bit of vanilla, caramel and molasses. Some chocolate and alcohol here too.

T- A nice mix of flavors sweet malts, vanilla, chocolate, figs, black licorice and caramel. The alcohol is here but not nearly as strong as I expected.

M- Very full in body and low carbonation. Almost like syrupy too.

D- Fairly easy to drink maybe just a little too sweet for me tastes but still solid. Split this one with a great group of guys at DLD.

Served in a snifter

Thanks to hayesez for this beer from the Beer Name Puzzle LIF!!!

This beer pours a decently black brown with a little bit of beige head up front. This beer is nice and bourbon and fruity esters on the nose. The oak flavor mixed with caramel and brown sugar work really well with this. I'm truly enjoying this beer, I wish I had the willpower to have aged this at least a year because the high ABV is still running a little hot. I still have no problem enjoying this beer and drinking it with my many friends.

4.3/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured from a bottle into my Orval tulip.

This is a black as night beer with a small brown head that didn't leave any lacing. Smells of burnt char and nice chocolate. This drinks exceptionally smooth and well and awesomely drinkable for a 20% beer (this was the 2009 bottle).

I like this beer and would like to drink some more of it, but you really want to have someone around to help share it with as it will mess you up.

4.29/5  rDev -5.7%

2011 bottle, shared 4 ways.

Black body, mild tan head, average lace. Mildly carbonated. Complex aroma: roasty malts, caramel, toffee, plenty of booze, vanilla, and chocolate.

Roasty with lots of malty sweetness. Torrents of caramel, toffee, vanilla, and chocolate amidst the boozy background. Turns sweeter and more boozy as it warms. Still plenty of fermentable sugars present; this beer will be awesome in a year or two.

The 2010 BT we had a few weeks back alongside Chocolate Rain was a significantly better beer. I won't be opening my other 2011s for at least 1.5 years. Great potential, needs time!

4.29/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A must-try, just make sure you have someone/s to share it with! Had the 2012 on 11/14/14

4.29/5  rDev -5.7%

Had on tap at The Bruery.
It's an Imperial Stout and 19.5%! It poured pitch black, hence the name, and smelled of: vanilla, dark chocolate, malt and bourbon. It tasted like molasses, brown sugar, chocolate malt, prunes, raisins, espresso, slight anise and an oaky bourbon finish, which actually wasn't that strong of an alcohol burn considering it's 19.5%! All in all, it was delicious.

4.29/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Holy crap, huge beer (2012 vintage). First time with the BT. Weren't sure what to expect when we cracked this, after a few whiffs and a couple of sips, cracked the benchmark by which I compare all BA Stouts to - BCBS. While the BCBS (2012) got the BT today in smoothness, drinkability, overall experience, the BT was damn good, albeit, HOT! I would go as far as to say, as big as it is today, it may have more potential than BCBS in the future. The BCBS is just so damn good right now. Glad we have a few bottles of the BT to age, look forward to revisiting in 12-18 months. We should have sat on this one longer, but glad we tried it.

4.28/5  rDev -5.9%

750ml poured into a tulip. Split with russwbeck and tasted side-by-side with Chocolate Rain. Epic.

A - Living up to its name, Black Tuesday is black. Shiny, glossy, foreboding black. A surprising amount of carbonation and bubbles can be seen slowly rising up the sides of the glass, continuously feeding and resupplying the tan head, which peaks at around a finger in height but slowly receding to about a half-finger cap that lasts forever. It is surprisingly noticeably darker than Chocolate Rain, which takes on a ruddy brown color in comparison.

S - In comparison to Chocolate Rain and going back and forth, Black Tuesday actually comes across as significantly less bold and in your face. The chocolate and roast are still key components here, though the chocolate is less sweet, but with the less ostentatious aroma comes a little bit more mellow aroma in terms of anise and alcohol. It's hard to say which one is actually 'better' as they are two different beasts.

T - The minute this liquid hits my lips, it's memorable. This instantly rockets to the top of my list of sweetest stouts, fighting neck and neck with Three Floyds' Dark Lord. I don't really get as much bourbon as I thought I would in the front, but there is some in the finish and underneath everything. A little bit of char and liquid smoke, and exceptionally malty. Slight bits of anise, and a surprising amount of dark fruits to add to it. Like sugar-coated, alcohol-soaked fruit. To wrap everything up is a warming alcohol that is always on the mind, but not constantly nagging with its astringency.

M - Mouthfeel is heavy-bodied with decent carbonation. Thick and offensively bold, Black Tuesday invades the palate and infests it with a syrupy feel that weighs heavily on the palate.

D/O - Drinkability is moderate. The sweetness and alcohol heat keeps it from being on par with Chocolate Rain, but it is still very much up there in terms of imperial stouts. Probably doesn't come across as much as the ABV would suggest, but it is noticeable. Although I am drinking half a bottle of this and half a bottle of Chocolate Rain side-by-side, I couldn't imagine drinking a whole bottle of this alone, but Chocolate Rain would probably be feasible.

4.28/5  rDev -5.9%

Must say this was as good as advertised...

Beautiful Big Black Pour with an amazing nose!!

Sweet sweet bourbon in this bad boy. From the nose to the taste.. Big and Bold but also extremely smooth. Warming all over !!!

VEry good beer...So glad i was able to try this one!

497th review on BA
Bottle to Bruery Tulip
750, Capped & Waxed
2010 Bottle

Split 6 ways for Bottle 5 of 5 for Birthday dinner. Even my wife, who most of you have seen me post about said this is pretty good.

App- This was a Black Stout, I have said it before, but this was damn dark. Only thing is that no head formed, no lacing not real carbonation level to it.

Smell- Everything I had heard about this about being hot, being too big in the aromatics was a little over done. This was big yes, but it was smooth, boozy, and sweet. Smelled a lot like a port vs a stout. Very dark chocolate with the dark fruits and Bourbon scents with some vanilla as well.

Taste- Not at all how hot I thought it would be. It was big and rich and lush. The flavors were very mellow but you can tell the ABV on this while smash you alone. The vanilla and chocolate blend with some some of the port flavors.

Mouth- This is exactly how I felt a stout should be on the palate. It was lush, creamy, smooth, rich, decadant and full. A very full bodied stout with a low carbonation.

Drink- I sat on this bottle since its release in October for a special occasion and I fiqured a birthday to be one of them. I am sure Ill keep trying to acquire this year to year. Wonderful brew! To the team at The Bruery. Nicely done.

4.27/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Super boozy (obviously at 19%) but not moonshine status surprisingly. Oak and bourbon notes at first, followed by vanilla and sugar. Very sweet; a desert beer in my opinion. Not the best barrel aged beer, but a good one. Hardly worth $40 a bottle though.

4.27/5  rDev -6.2%

Huge Props to Abecall98 for providing this in trade about a year ago. This bottle is from the original release and is marked as 19.5% abv.

Pours into my tulip glass with an almost brown/copper head that doesn't last long and collapses upon it's own weight. A hint of things to come on just how big of a beer this is. More like "legs" in the glass vs. lacing. The beer coats the inside of the glass. A shiney dark brown/almost black color. Looks like a mixture of used motor oil and maple syrup or molasses.

The aroma was so intense, bold and complex I am not sure where to start. Sweet, chocolate, a touch of vanilla, even some chocolate syrup. Much less alcohol than I would have guessed for 19.5%

Holy snikees is this a big beer. The sweetness is really right in your face. Dessert in a glass. Chocolate syrup again, then this gives way to a lot of complexity. Dark chocolate, very slight bourbon & vanilla. Sweet roasted malt. Ok, I have to admit, I thought of ST Crème Brulee when I drank this, minus the big vanilla. What I find interesting is that was a LOVE/Hate beer due to the big sweetness. And this one is universally loved. It's consistent for me, as I am a Crème Brule fan. This just drinks like it should offend some more in my book. If I had a wish it was that the bourbon came through a little more. Perhaps the time has settled that flavor a bit. Got coconut at times mixed with the dark chocolate flavors. This went well with the sweetness.

Just and I mean just shy of syrup like. I said to a buddy that if I had vanilla ice cream we'd try the two together. Alas, I did not. Thick is the only word to use to describe the body. Slick on your tongue. But not cloying.

The abv is so well hidden that it's scary. The sweetness and complexity keeps it below the surface, but soon you get a warm happy feeling. It's very very good. Not a top ten for me, but I am stoked I had a chance to enjoy a bottle.

I did get a chance to try this at the beer fest last year but it was fun to share a bottle with a couple buddies.

Thanks Abel!

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: Brown(ish)/ pitch black color…Vanishing (next to no) head and no lacing

S: Syrupy if you will: caramel, vanilla, & dark fruits. As well as bourbon and some chocolate

T: Dark fruits, vanilla accompanied by a coffee/dark chocolate texture. The bourbon & booze content is there, but I wouldn’t say it’s overwhelming.

M: Soft, easygoing, comfortable, and particularly smooth are the adjectives I’ll use to describe what most 19% beers are not.

O: When drunken leisurely, you’ll find this to be quite scrumptious…Definitely in there with the top of its class, when taken into consideration the content and style of the beer.

Date: 07/31/2010
Vintage: 2009
Type: 750ml. Bottle
Glassware: Portsmouth Tulip

Sampled at The Epic Sweer & Sour Tasting I w/ wunderbeer(Ron), ShadesofGray(Ryan), and big Dan. Nice event!

Poured a midnight black in color w/ a thin tan that left no lacing. Looks the consistency of 10W-30 motor oil. The nose was of chocolate malt, oak, bourbon, and a unique fig aroma. The taste was of chocolate, bourbon, oak, and dark fruits. The mouthfeel is thick as hell, like a milkshake. Drinkability is about as good as it can possibly be for a 19.50% alcohol beer, but was still slumping me under the table.

Overall, tremendous brew that as much as it sadens me say, lives up to the hype and billing. Great Imperial Stout from Cali!

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2012 Bottle.
Pours a deep dark black and starts to look slightly brown as it reaches the top of the glass. Little to no head. Not quite as thick and viscous as I imagined.
Aroma is nice - strong bourbon, bakers chocolate, vanilla beans, deep roasted malts and a big alcohol note.
This beer is so sweet, brunt sugar, rich chocolate and booze. The beer is incredibly boozy and hot, you can taste the bourbon and a bit of oak on the finish.
Mouthfeel is creamy and pretty nice. Overall it was good but not amazing. Way to sweet for me. Got down about 8 oz, which was just enough.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

2013 vintage.

Big, bold, thick, and black. Massive bourbon presence.

Black Tuesday from The Bruery