Black Tuesday - The Bruery

2010: 18.2% ABV
2011: 18.3% ABV
2012: 19.2% ABV
2013: 18.9% ABV

(Beer added by: OlieIPA on 07-18-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Black Tuesday Alström Bros
SirHefeweizen

Maryland

01-22-2013 18:49:11 | More by Lunch
erz316

Indiana

If my memory serves me right, there are five excuses for drinking: a house guest arriving, being thirsty at the moment, having a thirst to come in the future, the innate goodness of beer, or, really, any reason of which you can think. (thus is my liberal interpretation and translation of a Pere Sermond)

This has been outside all day, so it should be about 50° F. poured into my la fin du monde tulip glass.

What music to listen to when reviewing such an epic beer? Bach's chaccone, bvw 1004? no, too solemn. Dark side of the moon? No, I'm not getting high after all. Some Monk? No, I need to conjure grandeur, not cool. I think such a beer deserves the most epic song of them all: The Final Countdown. Yes, that will do. Now, where's that repeat button?

A - this beer is a freakin' black hole! Charon denies any light entrance into this stygian glass of ambrosia. pitch, tar, midnight, whatever you want to call it, this brew is as black as Medea's child-killing heart. the liquid itself pours at a seemingly reasonable viscosity, no the motor oil that dark lord is. the head is the perfect colour, it is a perfect medium-dark tan colour. the head is big, aforementioned, and quite light, not creamy at all. the head slowly fizzes down, begging me to fill in the gap left in the tulip; i indulge my new mistress with her request. a solid 1cm layer of foam stays on the top of the beer at all times.

S - the smell is more intense than Frank Dux fighting in the kumite. the nose hits you in the face like a ton of bricks: top notes of booze, bourbon, and oak; middle notes of molasses, prunes, burnt sugar; the base notes are of huge dark malts, roasted and excellent and a slight vinous hint. the sheer power of the oak and whiskey can be overwhelming, it's like they made a barrel out of the mighty Pelian ash itself, or out of all the grandest trees on Mt. Ida. if nothing else: it smells like i'm in an alcoholic cooper's shop. the sheer amount of booze and the need to sift through this bastion of an aroma might be a turn off for some, it might be too much for their noses, not I: I have suffered my body day and night, depriving my self of food and sleep, toughening my body to prepare for the romance of this beer (not really though). for whatever it is worth: styles aside, i can still say I prefer the nose of W.12, but that is probably because I like Belgian styles the most; this beer hold a firm grasp on second place.

T - the taste, oh the taste! I think I have a new favorite stout, yes, indeed I do! Drinking this beer is like taking a bite out of barrel, but one made of deliciousness. That wasn't very descriptive now was it? Let's try that again: if you could encapsulate the experience of getting a bj while holding in one hand my Svend Bang tiger stripe pipe with a bowl full of balkan sobranie aged since the 80's stripe pipe, a glass of '26 Macallan in the other hand (pick any drink you please if you dont like scotch), while having just won the world poker tour on the top turret of Schloss Neuschwanstein. Crude? yes. Accurate? I believe so. Now, onto the taste. the initial taste is a powerhouse of flavours: vanilla, bourbon, oak, malts, fermenting fruits, and some some maple syrup. the alcohol (which I find hard to believe is so high) really does a number on the palate, and I love every second of its burning fury. the finish burns like Troy in the hands of the Danaans. the finish too is hugely boozy, burning, savory with a big molasses aspect and slightly sweet like prunes. a fitting finish for such a beer. the brew doesn't expand in taste like some others, it stays pretty much the same in the taste, the only thing changing is the alcohol, which is what I wanted: the booze in the initial is generally burning (if you hold it in your moth for long enough), but in the finish, pending on how long you kept it in your mouth, can be burning or an amazing dry fruity experience. Some coffee like flavours come out as well in this finish, particularly in the acidic bitter way that coffee tends to finish. the aftertaste is completely different; true it still is a large part of oak and booze, there is a definite chocolate, coffee, caramel/brown burnt sugar aspect that jumps out. having such dynamism in a beer is what makes the few and the proud full score brews.

MF&D - the carbonation is a bit low on this guy, but I find it enough for something with so much flavour and booze. the lack of carbonation is justified when one realizes the body isn't like a motor oil, it is thiner, and thus to get that syrupy feel some absence of carbonation is required. drinkablility? oh man, for a beer with 19.5% abv this brew is like drinking silk. the booze never chokes me up, never makes me gag, it goes down with its lovely burning and thats the end of that. it is a masterful piece of brewing and I wish that I could have regular access to such a prize of a beer.

11-06-2009 01:11:52 | More by erz316
sampx

Missouri

11-18-2011 13:54:29 | More by sampx
drgarage

2011 vintage bottle enjoyed over New Year's Eve with some of my best friends.

I have very little to say about this beer, other than to note that it is like nothing else I have tried. It's an RIS turned into dessert wine or port. The mouthfeel is unparalleled, there are huge gobs of coconut, char, and chocolate. It's a perfect sipper, without noticeable heat, which is shocking at its ABV. Given how great it is this young, I can't wait to find out what it tastes like in years to come.

In thinking about the difference between this and a great RIS like Dark Lord, it strikes me that I would love for someone to figure out how to make a great RIS that was constantly available and very affordable. For Black Tuesday, on the other hand, I can't imagine having it more than once every four months or so, regardless of what it cost. Truly memorable, andI'm glad I had the opportunity.

01-03-2012 00:56:54 | More by drgarage