Join our email list →

Reviews: 646 | Hads: 3,533
4.35/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

My first BT.
2011 vintage, about time I tried this. Solo.

Look: Semi vigorous pour yields a 3/4 inch head that is gone, but for a ring, in a matter of minutes. After ten minutes, the ring is gone but comes back with a few swirls of the snifter. After 20 minutes the ring can not be brought back. RIP.

Smell: I could smell the booze in this as soon as I lifted the cap. Smells of port soaked raisins, dark chocolate, bitter chocolate. As it warms those raisins are still there but with something new, leather and a distant coffee/espresso essence off in the distance. Raisins dominate.

Taste: Boozy fruit cake, chocolate covered, of course!

Feel: At first I gave it a 4, now at 20 minutes in, 3.75.

Overall: Glad I finally cracked this. I really like beers like this that push the envelope. I will be opening my 2013 sooner rather than later AND with someone else!

4.56/5  rDev +2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Huge flavors across the board. More bourbon then beer with the aroma and taste. Toffee and caramel dominate the tastes for me in this beer, big alcohol flavors take center stage. I get some maple pancake flavors.

4.59/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Drove down to San Diego for a brewery tour. Came down to time it to have Black Tuesday and didn't realize you had to be a special member to get a taste... Pled my case and luckily one of the bartenders had sympathy and snuck me a glasss! Gave him a hefty tip and enjoyed an amazing beer!

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

The infamous Black Tuesday. A bruiser to be sure

A. Dark black with a finger of khaki head and decent lacing. Good head retention.

S. Vanilla, coconut, bourbon soaked raisins, a little tobacco and decent leather. Very rich and inviting baking chocolate and singed brownie batter. One of the best bouquets I've found.

T. Fudge, coconut, caramel, molasses, stone fruit, vanilla, and big, fusile alcohol.

M. Very boozy and very sweet which is the only complaint here. Rich and decadent.

O. Worthy of the hype. Dessert in a glass. Complex and warming. Impressive craftsmanship

4.47/5  rDev 0%

L: dark as space. No head retention. Little carbonation.

S: bourbon and booze.

T: tastes of bourbon all the way through. Almost like a port wine but bourbon flavor.

F: very smooth for 20%. The heat is there but is a easy drink. Nice warming feeling. Would be great on a snow day.

O: lucky to get 3 bottles in 2015. My first time tasting it and it was a good showing. Not quite sure if the real thing met the hype but a phenomenal beer. I did expect just a little more. Maybe a creamier mouth feel.

4.46/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This was a great pour. Poured a dark black color. Lots of Bourbon in the nose and it follows in the taste. Lots of great bourbon taste. The mouth feel is to me a little thin. For a beer this big I would like a little thicker mouthfeel. But it is still a great beer.

4.33/5  rDev -3.1%

Aggressive alcohol bomb has typical Bruery sweetness which I like a decent mouthfull. Sweetness then Bourbon then overwhelming alcohol taste and burn. Glad I have one to age it needs it desperately. I love big bold aggressive high ABV BEERS but this just doesn't mask it very well.

4.27/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

750mL into a wine glass. 2014 bottle.

Lovely cocoa head fills over a black-and brown-viscous body. Pools and swirls of lace plus a rim of lace. Lace abounds. Big and burly-looking. 5

Oaken, vanilla, soy sauce, raisiny port. Old ale or barleywine flavors big time. 4.25

Soy sauce is heavy. Oak, raisin and fig. Caramel and vanilla. Leather and tobacco. And alcohol. Taste resembles a raisin wine from the Dominican Republic. Brown sugar really develops nicely. T- 4.25 M- 4

This beer is tasty and interesting, but I think Baladin captures the concept and flavor better.

2014 vintage into a Bruery tulip.
Pours black as night with a very thiiiiiin mocha head
Smell is intense bourbon and chocolate with coffee behind it all. Turns more to chocolate as it warms.
There is a flavor explosion in my mother f-in mouth. Like someone melted a chocolate bar into a good bourbon and mixed in a bit of coffee. A bit hot but not at all like drinking a 40 proof spirit
Mouthfeel: see above
Overall a once in a life time beverage experience that you should seek out and make happen. Please invite me over when you do because I need more of this sh*t!

3.89/5  rDev -13%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Super dark beer with no head. Dark chocolate and raisin smell.
Boozy with salted caramel, fudge, dark chocolate taste. Lots of alcohol, usually I like that but I feel like it's a little overwhelming.

4.69/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

2015 version poured into a snifter glass; color is rich and dark brown with no head. very nice lacing. smell is bourbon, vanilla, brown sugar, alcohol, toffee, dark malt. overtime the alcohol smell fades, but its strong at first, which isn't surprising given the abv and the age. taste follows the nose here: bourbon, brown sugar, vanilla, molasses, malt, alcohol burn that fades to sweet. massively drinkable considering the abv, yet this is a slow and steady sipper that was shared over several hours. mouth was the biggest surprise; thinner than anticipated with very low carbonation.

a stellar take on the style, but also a beast of a beer. glad i got to try it and glad i have another in the cellar to age.

3.05/5  rDev -31.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2014 bottle. Pours dark brown with little to no head. This isn't black. Smells like bourbon and vanilla. The flavor is intense and cloying. Bourbon dominates the profile, and the flavor is super rich...there is some vanilla coming through, but that is about it. I am not picking up any oaky notes. I don't taste any malt or hops. All sticky sweet bourbon goodness. The body is medium, and much lighter than i anticipated. The mouthfeel is bit fizzy, and lacks the creamy texture that i want in a big stout. Carbonation is very low. Overall, i am glad i tried this but i think this beer is more for those who prefer the thrill of the chase, and the novelty of this beer.

4.78/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Look: Dark coffee color, no milk. Light brown head.
Smell: Caramel, toffee, dark chocolate, sweet bread, dark grains. Tres leches. A touch of alcohol and bourbon.
Taste: Rich, robust, and gigantic. See above. Vanilla, maybe some coconut. Alcohol is in the taste. I taste awesomeness.
Feel: Heavy. Low carb.

Overall - Good to go!

4.77/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

My first Bruery beer, but I figured I'd go big. 2015 in a Bruery tulip.
L - Hazy dark brown. Not black as expected. Khaki tan head that dissapates quickly.
S - A little boozy with toffee and molasses notes. Definately some sweetness going on.
T - I get molasses, caramel, ripe bananas, pecan pie, and burnt toast. Definitely some heat going on.
F- A bit chewy and can feel some chest heat.
O - Overall this beer is fantastic. Very smooth and balanced. The high alcohol is masked very well. Be careful. It catches up with you really quickly. I split the bottle with a friend and didn't realize he only poured a glass. By the time the bottle was gone I was really starting to feel it.

3.8/5  rDev -15%

2013 bottling date. I am a fan of big beers (10+abv) but I have to say this one gave me a very hard time. It's TOO big for me..to sweet, too boozy (although when it comes close to room temp I get a real nice chocolate / vanilla influence) to make this a truly enjoyable experience. It was more like a chore just finishing my half snifter of it. Glad I tried this one but all of the big hitters from Bruery just simply aren't for me.

Probably the best beer I've ever had. Drank the 2013 vintage in August 2015 around a bonfire...poured black as night and smelled incredibly complex. Can't imagine how they make a 19% ABV beer this drinkable but the Bruery succeeded!

4.59/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Serving Type: Bottle (dated 8.25.15)
Consumed: 12.4.15

A: 4.25 Pours a very dark brown with a small, light tan head that dissipates quickly. Looks a bit thinner than expected.

S: 4.5 Immediately struck with caramel, raisins, chocolate, vanilla, and quite a bit of bourbon. There are some roasted malt and coffee aromas going on, but they are definitely dominated by the sweeter elements.

T: 4.75 As expected, this is a sweet beer. Still, it’s surprisingly balanced walking the line between strong ale and stout. Like the nose, the flavor has plenty of raisin, caramel, vanilla, and oak. There’s also tons of maple and molasses on the palate too, blending into relatively subtle roasted malt, licorice, and berry character and making the whole experience more interesting. The beer is just slightly dry and bitter on the finish.

M: 4.5 I had the 2014 version prior and felt it was a bit thin. 2015 is much more substantial, almost chewy; it’s still not to BCBS or parabola levels of thickness, but that might help this beer overall. The carbonation is great and the finish almost makes this huge beer feel drinkable.

O: 4.5 This is a fantastic beer with tons of interesting flavors and aromas. It’s also very impressive how drinkable it is considering it’s nearly 20%. Not exactly the prototype of a BA stout, but definitely a great example of what bourbon barrels can do to strong beers.

2014 vintage. Likely one of the best BA stouts I've had the fortune of having. Deep, intense flavors while extremely smooth for the ABV and nice barrel notes. Look forward to seeing what more age does to this.

4.34/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Split a bomber with my brother in law after we had already had another barrel aged stout. Wow, did this beer kick my ass! This was the highest ABV beer I had ever had and I felt it. It was well worth it though as this beer was great.

Pour appears somewhat thin but the mouthfeel was super thick and chewy. Maybe the barrel aging thinned out the beer but fortunately it did not affect the mouthfeel.

The taste is sweet and malty with a huge bourbon backbone. The sweetness I expected with the high alcohol content but what was nice was there wasn't any kind of alcohol burn despite the potency of the beer.

Overall, this beer was probably one of the best 10-15 beers I have ever had. I know I won't get many chances to try this with Black Tuesday not hitting general distribution. Quite the treat.

3.69/5  rDev -17.4%

2015 bottle into a whiskey glass. Pours amaretto-amber color and not black. I thought the bottle came from the top section of the barrel where the watery part of the beer Flores up. The aroma is unequivocally boozy, with some almond, bourbon, and caramel malt characteristics. The taste is also thoroughly boozy--I had to double check the bottle that I'm not drinking port or amaretto. The taste is of peaches, huge vanilla, biscuity, almondy. Interestingly, no chocolate or roasted coffee whatsoever. The mouthfeel: it burns! From the alcohol, like sipping on soju.

I was surprised how transparent it is for a self-described "black" stout. I could clearly see the lights through the glass. I felt like I was cheated because of the tenuous stout characteristics. This, and the lack of supporting hops makes me think that this is better classified as a barley wine. Giving the beer a "stout" designation misrepresents its quality and unfairly bolsters its appeal. The only redeeming quality of this potion is the malt sweetness, which makes the alcohol somewhat tolerable. Do not attempt this bottle on your own, as it contains 8.9 drinks--more than enough to send someone to neverland. I would have W00tstout 2.0 or BASS any day over this.

$30 at the Bruery.

4.46/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark brown, settles into the glass with a deep cola colored body and a surprisingly thick mocha head. Aromas a charred, roasted malts, sugary bourbon and caramel. Flavor is very roasty with a noticeable, lingering sweetness. Feel is syrupy, but thick enough with a surprising carbonation level. Overall a huge, delicious, memorable beer.

4.84/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

All I can really say is.... wow. This was a magical elixir for me... I cracked a 2014 bottle at a bible study; was amazed by the smell and struck by the incredible bourbon booziness. Looked at the bottle more closely and realized it was 19.7%. Simply a wonderful sipping beer. The bourbon smell and flavor is just incredible with a heavy chewy mouthfeel. There is a sweet syrupy chocolate undertone to this beer and the aftertaste just keeps going. This may be called Black Tuesday but I will fondly remember this as Blackout Sunday. I personally appreciate strong flavors and this one is no joke. Shockingly good. Get your hands on this one, you won't be disappointed.

4.43/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Tried 2014 vintage at the brewery, by donating canned foood which gave me access to this beer. Dark, pitch black, minimal head. Smell is chocolate, malt, and some dried fruit. Taste is much dark cocoa, oak, chocolate dipped apricot flavor here, finishing like a port, but more robust and nutty. Pair with dessert.

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2015 vintage, poured in a teku glass at approximately 55 degrees.

A: Pours dark brown sugar color, able to see through the pour. In the glass it's black with light around the edges. Dark mocha head initially that fades extremely fast. Swirling revitalizes the head a bit but the carbonation is limited. Very apparent alcohol legs.
S: Dark chocolate, oak barrels, faint whiskey, plums, trace amounts of cherry, some vanilla, licorice, dark fruits, cinnamon, nutty aromas of walnuts and almonds. Reminds you somewhat of cinnamon oatmeal packets, a rich bouquet of fruit and spices. Caramelized sugars. It really opens up as it warms. The alcohol is more apparent the warmer it gets, but no astringency or booziness.
T: Warm on the tongue right away, it provides a massive payload of sweet caramel, chocolate, bourbon and dark fruit. Just awesome. It really opens up as it gets warmer, providing a really rich experience on the tongue with notes of the various aromas mentioned above. Drinks like a chocolate cake in many ways. Some heat is there, but for such a big ABV beer it is not overly boozy.
M: Big mouthfeel. Sits heavy on the tongue but still very drinkable when you consider the alcohol content. Coats the mouth. This is the definition of a sipper beer. Light carbonation is there, but doesn't play a lot into the overall experience.
O: just an awesome beer. It's got the full chocolate bourbon barrel experience you expected. Absolutely one of the best beers I've ever had.

4.6/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2014 - Served @ 55deg F in Bruery snifter

A - Dark dark brown with minimal lacing

S - Bourbon, Oak, & chocolate dominate - slight leather, tobacco, and burn sugar / molasses

T/F - Bourbon start and finish - chocolate coats the mouth and lasts for a few seconds before the raisin, molasses, oak, and licorice flavors come out. Slight alcohol burn starts 10-15 seconds after sipping.

O - I can see why this beer is setting the standard for a high ABV Imperial Stout. Can't wait to see what BT is like with a little more time in the cellar. Prost!

Black Tuesday from The Bruery