Black Tuesday - The Bruery

2013: 18.9% ABV
2014: 19.7% ABV
Reviews: 610 | Hads: 3,282
3.46/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Appearance: Rich, dark, pour, incredibly thick. Completely coats the glass, and nice head as well.

Smell: Boozy notes of prunes, plums, brown sugar, vanilla, molasses, and chocolate. Not as much bourbon as I had hoped for although the alcohol is very hot. Definitely thick, but not particularly appitizing. Too sweet.

Taste: The 09 did a good job of hiding the alcohol but in the 2010 the booze smacks you in the face like a freight train. Big booze, plums, prunes, brown sugar, vanilla, tobacco, oak, coffee, chocolate, lots and lots of malt. Biggest negative is that it is way too sweet, which, combined with the over-present vanilla, booze heat, and alcohol thinness, detracts greatly.

Mouthfeel: Thick, but not silk/satin smooth. The 09 was decent but the alcohol in the 10 made it feel too hot and runny.

Drinkability: Hard call here, not drinkable in the sense that you normally think, as in it goes down easy, but it is "drinkable" for a 19.5% beer. However, I am going to go with general drinkability, as "highly drinkable for a 19.5%" beer sounds similar to "particularly tasty meal as far as rusty nails go."

Overall a good brew, but not a stand-out for the style. Certainly the "biggest" but that does not mean "best" as well, at least in my book. A good exercise in over-loading each part of the brewing process with malt and then tossing it in a barrel, but nothing I would need to try again - similar to seeing the bearded lady, etc. I've had the 09 and 2010, the 10 was much hotter and the alcohol made it feel thin. (1,536 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -21.3%

2011 Black Tuesday opened with my Dad on Christmas Day 2011.

It pours black, yep black. A few bubbles break the surface but it's ultimately an inky black beer with no head to speak of. Just a few tan bubbles. The aroma is okay. It's good I suppose. Dark fruits, intense alcohol, not heavy on the bourbon actually. I was expecting the bourbon barrel to dominate the nose but it didn't.

The flavor is actually a dark fruit bomb. Little roast, the bourbon notes are overshadowed by the figgy, raisin like flavors. Alcohol is evident but not nearly as evident as it could be. Lots of residual sugars create a long, sweet finish. It's not bad. It's not great but it's not bad. Complexity is somewhat lacking. I'd like a little more roasted malt flavor and little more bitterness. It's just incredibly sweet and after 5 or 6 oz can be a little draining on the palate.

The abv, style, and residual sugars would suggest a lush, thick, mouthfeel.... Yeah, not so much. Incredibly thin for the style. The carbonation is appropriate for the style but the weight on the tongue is lacking.

Overall, this is a nice beer. Not one of the Bruery's better efforts but a nice enough Imperial Stout. Not worth the price tag or effort to obtain for a Midwest guy with a shallow cellar. (1,272 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -20.9%

Served in a snifter.

Big thanks to VDubb86 for sharing his winnings with me!

And the elusive Black Tuesday sits in my glass. Nice. it pours a straight obsidian topped by a half-finger of light ecru foam. The nose comprises rich bourbon, chocolate syrup, roasted malts, molasses, and oak. Smells like the hype might ring true. The taste, though, ensures that it does not. The bourbon is far too hot, the chocolate is just a step too sweet, and these combined with a hefty dose of roasted malts produce an unnerving prickle on the tongue. It's clear there was a damn good idea in place for this beer, but it doesn't seem as though it was carried out very well. Perhaps some age would have done it some good, but I'm not sure I'll find that out. As it stands, the flavors are just too all over the place to work properly. The body is a hefty-ish medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a semi-chewy feel. Overall, though disappointing, I was very glad to have been able to try this brew. I can see why many would love it, but it's just not working for me. (1,060 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -20.4%

After having Black Tuesday at the HOTD dock sale, I looked forward to opening this bottle at a tasting with friends last night so I could give it a proper review.

The beer appears black in my glass fading into a clear brown hue on the edges as I hold it up to the light. I expected it to be a little thicker and more opaque in it's color.

It smells sweet like dark fruits, roasty and oaked. The taste is just like how it smells. There's a dark fruity, bourbon, and vanilla presence that becomes more prominent. Definitely some woody dark chocolate and caramel notes. The mouthfeel is thinner than I expected but the flavors are integrated well which helped mask the 19.5% ABV.

It's quite good and extremely drinkable but is it the best? No, IMHO, but it is definitely one of the better stouts out there. (807 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -19.8%

2010 bottle into a wine glass; sampled at DLD '11. Huge thanks to the generous sharer of this famous treat.

A: Black body with dark brown highlights; thin, fleeting head of light brown foam. Looks big, and there's no surprise there.

S: Booze, coffee, booze, chocolate, booze, earthiness, and booze. Hugely alcoholic, and yet somehow also hugely appealing.

T: Cloyingly sweet here, and that's about it. Seriously, this is sweeter than Vanilla Bean Dark Lord, and in this case that's not a complement. Crazy.

M: Thick, sticky. Yup.

O: I was really excited to try this beer (obviously enough), and wasn't sure what to expect. Smelling it made me think that I'd fall in love with its sheer vastness of flavor, but when it came to the point of actually tasting the beer it was a serious letdown. All the complexity of the aroma got washed out in a massive wave of underattenuated sugar, so much so that it resembled beer-flavored pancake syrup more than actual beer. Now that I've tried it, I definitely won't be trading my whole cellar for more.

Cheers! (1,056 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -19.1%

2009 version

A - poured reddish dark brown without much of a head

S - smelled very sweet - maple syrup and vanilla with molasses and a modicum of toasted malt. More sweet than anything.

T - Followed the nose perfectly. Opened up extremely sweet - loads of syrupy molasses and vanilla from the bourbon barrels. A lot of chocolate milk chocolate was blended in there as well. It ended very sweet, almost too sweet. I guess the sweetness is warranted for the huge ABV this thing packs.

M - chewy mouthfeel to it with a full body. The booze was really well hidden.

D - this one was overly sweet to me. I felt like this was a huge beer, but the ABV just made it way sweeter than it needed to be. I can see why some people would really like this, but I think the couple glasses I had of it were way more than enough. The overly sweetness got to me after awhile. Good to try, but I wouldn't be disappointed if I never had it again.

---

2010 version - it seemed that molasses wasn't as prominent and this was not as sweet as the 2009 version, albeit it was still extremely sweet. (1,079 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -18.9%

A big thanks to GregMcQ for sharing a bottle with me and many other BA friends.

A: Pours an opaque black color. A very minimal and bubbly tan head forms. The foam recedes in an second, and leaves no lace. Just an extremely dense liquid.
S: An awesome aroma of toasted, chocolate malt. Brown sugar. Dry wood, oak, and vanilla. Very sweet aromas. Some raisin and dark fruits. Lots of alcohol from the start.
T: Not nearly as complex as the nose. Still, it is very enjoyable. Alcohol hits right up front. Though raisin and other dark fruits come in to play. Powdered chocolate and vanilla. Alcohol is very powerful.
M/D: A full and sticky body. Very low carbonation. Almost under carbonated. A syrupy adhesive sticks to the tongue. Tons of alcohol. Something that needs to be sipped.

I did really enjoy this beer. Though it is hard to rate, and hard to categorize. Similar to Utopias in how extreme the beer is. Overall this is very good, and something that is great to share with friends. Very much worth a try, but it is still not among my favorites of the style. (1,064 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -18.9%

Thanks Kevin for sharing this!

A- Body is a deep, dark, viscous black color. Fizzy head appears and fades quickly into a thin, light tan collar.

S- Nose is very boozy at first-which is to be expected for a 40 proof beer. Alcohol astringency all over the place, beneath this is a very sweet background of bourbon, peanut butter, milk chocolate, amaretto, vanilla, toffee, and caramel.

T- Flavor is very sweet at first. Milk chocolate, notes of sweet bourbon, caramel, and sugary sweetness. The finish is much like the initial flavor and is surprisingly smooth with minimal alcohol astringency- but it packs a lot of heat at the end with a big alcohol warmth.

M- Low carbonation. Thick, syrupy, and smooth and creamy. Minimal alcohol consistency.

D- I am very pleasantly surprised by this one because its a 19.5% beer that drinks like an 11%. This was split amongst 5 people so I had a good 5 oz-but not a whole serving. A good beer overall-but inconceivable for it not to be shared-so I am hesitant to give the drinkability a 4. Surprisingly not boozy with the exception of the nose and VERY sweet. This brew is quite complex-but not really balanced. (1,154 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -18.2%

*Re-reviewed on 7/30/09*

The taste has developed much more and it's drinking wonderful now. Not as cloyingly sweet, which had turned me off. I didn't really find any flavor from the oak though. The nose has a huge soy sauce aroma too. I'm giving a lower rating to the smell and bigger rating to the taste.

*Original Review*

Pitch black liquid with a dark tan head. Smells like chocolate, sweet malt, bourbon creeping in, vanilla, oak.

Taste is very sweet. Intense malt. Bourbon isn't as prominent in the flavor profile as expected. Oak is there but backlashed by the overall sweetness. Alcohol is amazingly well hidden behind this barrier of sugary liquid. Not much of a surprise. (684 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Huge thanks to pecorasc for sharing this one with boothbeer and I. Drank this after having CCB Hunahpu's IS. Poured into a tulip glass.

A- Produced a fingers width of flimsy, cream/mocha colored head. The beer looked a little on the thin side as it was being poured into the glass. Reduced to a thin ring throughout consumption.

S- Big molasses aroma upfront. Alcohol notes produce a nutty-like attribute. Has a sweet, sugary chocolate finish. Other than an ever so slight nose burn, the alcohol was pretty well hidden. Very rich and boozy, but without the alcohol heat.

T- Sweet, very sweet, then intensely sweet. Chocolate, bourbon and molasses rolled into one. Vanilla notes come in midway through along with a boozy finish. Once again, the alcohol is pretty well hidden. The problem was that all of the subtleties were masked by an overbearing sweetness that just seemed to grow and grow as the beer was consumed.

M- Tad disappointing. Heavy bodied, but still retained a much thinner feel than expected. Little carbonation.

D- If I was basing this on ABV, this would have received a 5.0. Drinks more like a 9-10% RIS. However, the sweetness was an absolute overkill and that's an understatement. Became nearly unbearable towards the end.

Overall, just flat out too sweet. Couldn't help but think I would contract diabetes after drinking this. There is a depth and complexity there, but for the most part it's masked. Glad I finally got to try it, but won't be seeking it out in the future. (1,503 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -17.3%

Had on tap at the release party Nov 27.

Poured a nice jet black with small tan head. A swirl of the glass left a thick residue on the side. Awesome.

Smelled of bourbon and dark fruit. I am almost able to get drunk off inhaling this stuff , its so hot..

One sip and you realize this isnt an ordinary beer. There is plenty of stout style flavors in this ; Coffee, chocolate, bourbon, a bit of a grainy flavor as well, like a chewy nutty taste. However the alc% just bites right through all of it at times when i wish it hadn't. The flavors are just too big all around at this time, an d i wonder how this will age.

Mouthfeel is just about right, as is isnt too thick like bourbon county.

One 4 oz taster and i was feelin pretty buzzed, i couldnt drink a whole bottle alone, or even 2 people probably. It's like drinking liquor with alot more flavor than usual.

Overall I am glad i didnt spend 30$ on a bottle because this to me isn't as good as say The Abyss, and thats 12$. (978 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I have had the privilege of trying this brew each year it was released but never got around to writing a formal review. This time I am making it happen with a fresh 2012 bottle into a matching Bruery snifter. The brew pours brown in color as it streams out of the bottle and collects in my glass as a darker fudgy brown color. About a finger of khaki head sits atop and fades to a thin film across the top with less than a half finger holding around the outside perimeter of the glass. Rising bubbles maintain that partial forth around the edge of the glass seemingly throughout the entire duration. When held to the light, the brew shows some lighter brown coloration around the edges with hints of red.

The aroma of this brew is sweet with suggestions of vanilla and chocolate. There are plenty of dark fruity alcohol esters present in the nose mixing with a significant supporting role of whiskey. The residual sweetness of the nose is reminiscent of belgian candy sugar coupled with vinous notes. As the brew warms up, some herbal hop notes come forward. When swirled and as the brew warms, there are very minor roasty elements.

The initial flavors are quite sweet but there is a significant amount of booze also present that is borderline numbing to the tongue. A lot of dark fruity alcohol mingles on the tongue creating flavors akin to raisins, plumes, prunes and molasses with again, a kick of solvent alcohol. When bigger sips are taken, there is a bit of an herbal hop present and dry oak quality. As it warms up, it gets somewhat medicinal with a greater focus on whiskey aspects instead of beer.

This is a full bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. It has a huge alcohol impact that really suppresses the overall drinkability. There is quite a bit of complexity here to take in and I gotta say this one has me scratching my head. I dont want to be "that guy" who proclaims the Bruery and this beer has changed but quite frankly, this is not the same beer I remember enjoying in years past. I realize the recipe isn't the same each year and the alcohol varies but this is a significant variance from years past. This is more like a fruity/vinous dark belgian strong ale than the thick and syrupy chocolate smoothie of a beast stout I remember. (2,268 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -16.6%

Thanks Joe for splitting the bottle. Shared 4 ways with the renegades of funk as part of the pre-EBF tasting.

The appearance is incredible. It pours pitch black with a very impressive head formation in the Bruery tulip. It's got a thick consistency and is one finger high at first, and then recedes to a dark brown ring of very fine bubbles. Some film is left on the glass.

The aroma is gigantically malty with some liquor character coming from the bourbon. Rich chocolate with a touch of coffee, vanilla, oak, and alcohol form a very complex and strong nose. This is the strongest smelling beer I've smelled, but not the most boozy.

The first flavor match I thought of was java chip coffee ice cream. Charred wood, chocolate powder, vanilla, marshmallows and bourbon make up a strong and rich flavor. As it warms, the bourbon unfortunately comes through more, but so does molasses, brown sugar, white sugar, and maple. It's complex, interesting, and boozy. After every sip, it made me think more than it made me say "this is a good beer." I can appreciate these complexities and the uniqueness though.

Black Tuesday is the thickest beer I've ever had. The level of carbonation was higher than I expected, but it helped. It felt like I was drinking something with a lot of un-dissolved sugar, as there was obviously a lot of residual sugars in this. This made it a bit hard to drink. It became a chore towards the end, so I left a bit in the glass and went to sleep. It tasted surprisingly similar the next morning, with more of a marshmallow character to it.

I was very interested in trying this beer, and I liked it more than I thought. I'd like to try next years release, which I think will be an improvement over the first attempt. (1,740 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2013 bottle shared by some great people after Hunahpu's Day 2014. Great deep black with some tan head, decent legs, not much for lacing. Hot hot hot. Even with a year on this, the bourbon heat is alive and well. Aroma is boozey up front, vanilla, toffee, and molasses behind that bourbon heat. Taste is also very boozey. I get the vanilla, some faint dark fruit (raisin or something of the like), some good oakiness. Slightly thin in the mouthfeel, but I enjoy the low carbonation and fairly thick body. (503 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -15.7%

2010 bottle into a snifter.

A: Black body with dark brown highlights throughout; head was thin, and diapated quickly leaving a thin light brown foam.

S: Hot, definatley smell the booze, coffee, and chocolate. Heavy on the alcohol.

T: Sweet (a little to sweet for my taste) and very hot! Alcohol is really heavy although not as bad as I expected.

M: Thick, heavy, sticky.

O: I was really amped to try this one and I wasn't sure what to really expect. Overall it was solid, but I am glad I didnt trade away my cellar or drop $40 on a bottle. I think I will stick to RIS's around 10% ABV. Just a little to heavy on the alcohol for me.

Cheers! (646 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pours black as night. Smells of bourbon, caramel, chocolate. Mouthfeel is slightly thin for a beer this viscous. 2013 bottle is still pretty boozy and a bit of a palate shock as it's very sweet. Looking forward to trying another vintage. (237 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours quit thin for the style. Black, but still translucent. No head. No lacing. A few bubbles. Aroma is sweet and alcoholic. Chocolate. Malty. Chocolate frosting. Taste is similar. Damn sweet. Chocolaty. Malty. saccharin. Sweetness. And some alcoholic heat. Thinner mouthfeel. Mild to moderate bitterness.
Wow, this beer is not what I expected. Too thin, too sweet, not a whole lot of flavor. Not offensive, just not so great either. At least it was better than chocolate rain. (479 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I'm pretty sure this was a 2012 bottle, consumed Jan. '14. Dark brown-black pour, no surprise there, topped with a thin brown head that receded to a ringlet; minimal lacing. Aroma was fairly sweet, notes of dark chocolate and vanilla, pretty hot with bourbony booze, licorice, brown sugar, some dark fruits. But the booze was the dominant factor. Fairly sweet up front in the taste (not quite Dark Lord sweet, perhaps), lots of booze, bourbon-soaked oak, bitter dark chocolate, licorice, tobacco, dark fruits, more subtle vanilla, the oak and herbal hops came out a bit more in the finish, and even more so as it warmed. While this was definitely pretty hot and boozy, it still drank fairly well, considering the extremely high ABV. Body was on the fuller side of medium--might as well just call it full--with a slick and somewhat unctuous mouthfeel. A decent brew overall, but doesn't really live up to the hype (welcome to the Bruery). I can get a World Wide Stout at my local shop and experience pretty much the same thing this beer offers (or better), in a better package (aka smaller bottle) and for a better price. (1,120 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -14.6%

750ml bottle poured into snifters.

A = On a fairly vigorous pour I get a small quarter inch chocolate brown head that settles relatively quickly into sparse bubbles around the edge of the glass and atop perhaps 25% of the surface.

S = Huge smells of bourbon, maple, melted dark chocolate, vanilla, underneath are some black cherries. There is quite a bit of alcohol burn in there, too, though which I guess I should have expected but so many others have talked about how hidden it is.

T = Rich dark chocolate melted and poured into a cup with fresh heavy cream. Some nuttiness with sharp notes like walnuts have. Oak and vanilla flavors show up at midpalate. At the end and in the aftertaste though I get a kind of thin metallic taste, I think it is the alcohol, but I'm not positive.

M = Very full bodied, luxurious as it swishes around the mouth, extremely good mouthcoating. I could do with slightly less carbonation as it kind of burns when paired with the alcohol, but overall one of the best mouthfeels I've had in a beer.

D = This is a sipper for sure. Indeed, I poured close to 8 ounces in my snifter and wish I would have poured half of that. While quite good, it is a bit overpowering and really does not necessarily draw me to each sip as I could wish it did. Definitely one I'd like to be able to have on other occasions, but I'm not sure if I were going to pick one dessert beer of fortified wine strength to have on hand that it would be this one. Good but just not that extra bit I could wish for.

At the end of the day, it is a very enjoyable beer, but it leaves a somewhat tinny, bitter metallic aftertaste that lingers long after the sweet luscious flavors that make this such a great beer. I would imagine this will be great after two or three years in the bottle, but I am not sure it is actually quite ready for drinking yet. (1,853 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -14.4%

Thanks to Steve_0 for the hookup. 2011 vintage. Split with angrybabboon.

Appearance: Pours nearly pitch black with a tiny collar the color of espresso crema. Some deep dark brown and reds when held to direct light, but it's pretty minimal. More carbonation than expected, but that's not a bad thing. Syrupy and full on the pour.

Smell: Alcohol. Pure high alcohol coupled with a large amount of bourbon. Sweet, super sweet malts. Char, leather, dark fruit (cherry, fig, plum), it's all there. Vanilla, big hits of oak. Raisins. Boourbon soaked chocolate covered fruit. Molasses and brown sugar. Some hints of sherry and deeper vinous characteristics. Super sweet and boozy.

Taste: Crazy sweet. Sugar and bourbon. I took a shot of bourbon with a cane sugar rim. Some burnt, deeply roasted malts form a big backbone. Loads of brown sugar, vanilla (as in pure vanilla extract - concentrated). Warm leather. Soy sauce. Caramel. Touches of dark chocolate bitterness layered through the back. Bourbon drops a nice oak note. So much sweetness. It's almost cloying as the beer warms. Bourbon soaked raisins, like legit. Sherry, oxidized in a good way.

Mouthfeel: Body is medium-full, pushing closer to full. Negligible carbonation. A bit dry overall. Feels hot and drinks like port.

Overall: This couldn't cause The Great Depression, but it's a reasonable recreation of the Boston Molasses Disaster...if you made molasses out of bourbon.

This beer is big, sweet, and massive. This would be an amazing beer to split with 10 people. It's a solid take on a dessert beer/beer for people that don't like beer. It's a liqueur made of bourbon soaked dark fruit. It loses some points in the long run because anything outside of a 3oz pour is difficult to finish. So heavy and sweet and heavy on the bourbon it's hard to really find the depth. (1,832 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -14.2%

2009 bottle split with 3 friends.

A: This poured dark black with a very thin mocha head. I was surprised that it has this much carbonation.

S: It smelled like a very hot bourbon. I could get some dark malts, soy and some dark fruits as well.

T: The taste was pretty similar to the smell. At first I thought that the alcohol was fairly well hidden. But then, after about 10 seconds or so, the alcohol made its presence known. This went away as my senses got overwhelmed. I was also able to detect some great dark fruits and soy in the taste. It was better than I was anticipating.

M: The mouthfeel was OK. It was a little too heavy for my tastes.

O: I found this to be slightly better than average. The alcohol makes it near impossible to finish by yourself. I figured after 2 years that it would have tamed down some but it was still pretty hot. This might be better in another couple of years. I will re-visit in 2 years and re-rate. (939 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -14.2%

2010 vintage. Kindly trucked up by Official Bruery Mule, womencantsail. Thanks Andrew.

A: Pours a pitch, opaque black. One finger of dark mocha head. It retains poorly, but it does leave curtains during sips.

S: Sherry jumps out at me immediately. This is well oxidized, but in a good way. Molasses, brown sugar. Bourbon, chocolate, vanilla, oak are milder. There is noticeable booze in the nose.

T: A strong, almost treacly sherry flavor to it; it reminds me of the strong raisin character of DFH World Wide Stout. But this is much less harsh. Other sweet flavors of molasses, brown sugar, caramel, and dark fruits jump out at me. Plenty of chocolate and vanilla. The finish is more bourbon than oak, and it lingers deliciously into the aftertaste. Not particularly complex as far as barrel-aged imperial stouts go, but it's thick, heavy, dessert-like, and appreciable by laymen. Definitely good virtues to have.

M: It is closer to medium-bodied this year vs. last year; it seems to be drier on the whole. That seems to make it feel a lot hotter than the '09, too. But it's restrained for something that's estimated to be almost 20%.

D: My second time having this. I like it enough, but I'm not a big fan. It's overall too sweet and too 'big', and my palate is too overwhelmed to pick out the nuances. Still, $30 is a decent price point for one or two bottles, because the beer goes over very well with my family. It makes the centerpiece of a nice tasting; beer nerd and layman alike enjoy it. The primary value of this beer (to me) is not in drinking it alone or even trading it, but in using it to convert beer neophytes. The Bruery fills that niche very well. (1,674 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -14.2%

A: Black, emphasis on silky, brown slivered trim. No practical head.

S: Smells sturdy enough but much less robust than anything I had imagined. Sweetness, bourbon barrel warmed cocoa and milk chocolate are foremost. It really does have a wonderful smell despite being lesser than I preconceived and makes me wish I could bath in it.

T: Definitely a let down for the price, hype, and what I imagined. This beer is definitely not comparable to any other beer but this fresh 2011 bottle is all about sweetness and has a VERY mild barrel presence. Something must be said about the fact that this 18% beer literally tastes and drinks like a 7% beer- obviously very impressive and intriguing.

M: Thin! WTF! It's silky as balls, but come on, rouse me a little, I can take it. You don't have to fuck me this gently.

O: I didn't put this on much of a pedestal, but I can think of literally dozens of other bourbon barrel aged imperial stouts that are better than this (and all cheaper).

#brueryhype (997 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -13.9%

Cheers to Goblinmunkey7 for acquiring this and sharing this

Note: 2011 vintage

Appearance: Dark, dark brown - not exactly black, but very dark, approaching black - light tan head, impressive amount of carbonation given the barrel aging

Smell: Ow, my brains - tons and tons of bourbon aroma - vanilla and some wood - loads of booze, but not as bursting with ethanol as it could be, I suppose - sweet chocolate, loads of caramel, molasses, and a sack of sugar - some dark fruits - absurdly sweet, flirting with the "do not want" line

Taste: A sweet, sugary, bizarre potion - all kinds of sweet, including caramel, burnt caramel, molasses, brown sugar, white sugar, malt extract - sweet chocolate, like a chocolate hard candy - sweet vanilla - intense bourbon flavor - thankfully, light on the wood and dry alcohol - mild burnt bitterness - dark, cooked fruits - very sweet - absolutely disgusting if consumed with a gulp, but tasty if sipped, hard to give an actual score

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, syrupy, oily, with a legitimate alcohol burn, not a huge fan

Overall: Black Tuesday? More than one of these, and it's more like Blackout Tuesday (omg lol)

This is a syrupy, absurd creation. The level of crazy here is hard to assess. It's somewhere between genuinely disgusting and uniquely charming. I'm very happy that I had a chance to sit down with a full glass of this. It's really not suitable for a small pour at a beer fest. I'll be skipping it at future Extreme Beer Fests. (1,482 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -13.9%

Dark as night - slight tan head. Full, thick entry - so sweet. Big roast hit - then the sweetness takes over. Full mouthfeel...but the sweetness just kills.

Big alcohol burn on sides of mouth. A burnt sugar flavor hits me mid-mouth. Big roasty finish makes for a good out. The alcohol fire lingers.

I'd prefer this aged for at least a year to take out some of the sweetness. (376 characters)

Black Tuesday from The Bruery