Black Tuesday - The Bruery

2010: 18.2% ABV
2011: 18.3% ABV
2012: 19.2% ABV
2013: 18.9% ABV

(Beer added by: OlieIPA on 07-18-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Black Tuesday Alström Bros
4.15/5  rDev -8.6%

Big thanks to Hoppymeal for bring a bottle of this to the Kuhnhenn Solstice tasting....obviously this is a white whale for 90% of BA's right now so I was excited to try a sample of this big stout.

poured a 4 oz. sample into a 10oz Kuhnhenn snifter

poured jet black with a small dark tan head that disappated quickly leaving a slight lacing on the glass. Smell is sweet w/ hints of molasses, vanilla, bourban, oak and alcohol. The taste is much of the same. This is a big sweet stout, which is to be expected with such a high ABV. Shockingly enough the booze was fairly well hidden, but the sweetness was a bit much for me and cancelled out some of the subtle flavors that could make this beer great. I think with a few years of aging this could be a spectacular heavy and complex stout. I am certainly glad to have tried this ale...I've always felt as though this was an over hyped beer, but after trying it I can honestly say that it is a supreme effort at a high alcohol stout and reminds me a big of DogFish Head's World Wide Stout which is one of the finest ales to age IMHO. Good Job to the Bruery and I hope to try this one again in a few years when some of the sweetness dies out. Thanks again Derek!

HopHobo, Dec 21, 2009
4.18/5  rDev -7.9%

Many Thanks to Phil for providing this rarity and for hosting the recent tasting.

An aggressive pour releases liquid as black as Wesley Snipes into my tulip glass, sitting below a tight dark tan head of a half finger height. Black Tuesday has very nice wine-like legs, but no real lacing to speak of.

I could smell the beer as it poured. The aroma is clearly boozy, but it's not very similar to many bourbon-barrel aged beers I have had before. It's sweet with every type of chocolate you could think of in addition to the barrel characters which are surprisingly in the background (balance). Dark, rich 90% cocoa and booze soaked fruits combine with a hints of oily french roast and molasses. These elements are evident in the taste as well, but in generally smaller doses.

Flavor opens up with an intensely sweet chocolate cake exploding with a molten dark choloate interior. Someone asked,

"What's that thing with chocolate inside of another chocolate?"

"Oh, a Truffle?"

"Yeah, that's it!"

This is like the best chocolate cake you have ever had but you bite into it only to discover that there's an even better chocolate cake inside it. Decadent.

Don't get me wrong though, the booze is apparent. It's very noticeable and anyone telling you otherwise probably lives within a 5 mile radius of Placentia, CA. I would guess probably 10-12% abv, which was about what the other tasters mentioned.

Having said that, this is beer actually got worse as it warmed. All of my beer knowledge indicates that the exact opposite should happen, and that deeper flavors and subtleties should erupt as a beer warms to room temperature. As black tuesday warmed, it only became less drinkable (more alcohol apparent) and it's viscous mouthfeel became borderline overbearing. Yes, this is a very drinkable beer for it's (supposed) 19.5% ABV, but you couldn't (read: wouldn't want to) drink more than 3 or 4oz anyway.

Overall, this is a very impressive beer and as much as I want to hate it, I just can't. I am glad to have had the chance to try it, and would recommend that bottles be shared at cooler temps (closer to 40˚F) between at LEAST 6 People.

Ineedabeerhere, Dec 23, 2009
4.18/5  rDev -7.9%

**revisited the 2009 vintage at a recent tasting over the holidays. The flavors and booze have really come together and the alcohol is not as dominant as it was a year ago. I enjoyed my pour much more and went back for another.

Big thanks to Scotty (aka hooliganlife) for bringing this to our STLHops Tasting and for Mike for hosting. Share among several people...I got a good 5oz pour into my tasting glass.

A - Pours black, slim tan-colored head which disipiates into nothingness. The look turns straight back quickly after the pour. no really lacing or retention to speak of, just midnight black in a glass.

S - Chocolate and boozy notes, some burnt malts, molasses. Mostly a mix of sweet and boozy, kinda messy compared to most other stouts that are considered the "crem de la crem". Nothing near mind-blowing here at all.

T - Chocolate syrup, lots and lots of booze, roasted malts, a hint of oak. The booze pretty much dominates this. Although it's hot, I could not tell that this is 19.5% and if I had to guess, I'd say 12% or so. Although the alcohol is well-hidden, there's still a bunch of it and combined with the sweet notes, it makes this beer messy.

M - Full bodied, a big beer, rich and smooth. Probably the best thing about this beer is the feel. I like the way this coats the palate...it sticks with you.

D - My 5oz (approximate) was way more then enough for me. I was done with this one after my initial taste and I don't think I could have gone back for seconds (or enjoyed it). I've had many other stouts that I consider to be superior to this brew. Although it's good, I don't consider it to be great.

Sean9689, Dec 20, 2009

146th Review
Bottle to Westvletren 12 (small) chalice
Vintage 2011

Enjoyed as part of the "main event" at our Utrecht tasting (December 2011) as a result of Jeffo and doopiedoopiedoo's generosity. Thanks guys...can't wait to return the favor! Drank side-by-side with Black Damnation V - Double Black.

A: Deep brown, nearly opaque. 0.75 (soft mocha) fingernail head on vigorous pour.

S: Bourbon, Ghirardelli dark chocolate brownies, roasted dark malt, fig, vanilla, oak, and more booze (i.e. bourbon). It smells "hot", but this is masked well by some of the other notes coming off the nose.

T: In-your-face from the start with a very strong bourbon presence (too much for my liking though). Balance of dark fruits, chocolate, vanilla, and molasses, but seems to be a bit lop-sided for my liking. I'd like a bit more of the dark fruit to come thru, but all-in-all not too bad.

M: Full boded with medium carbonation.

O: This vintage needs a bit of age to mellow out as this beer is drinking a bit hot now. Robust and thick, but just not (entirely) well-rounded yet. Double Black was victorious in the head-to-head battle, but I look forward to trying this again in the future. A big, bold, and good offering from Patrick and Co. at The Bruery!

spdyfire83, Jan 30, 2012
4.18/5  rDev -7.9%

Thanks to Degarth for opening this one at my massive tasting.

A: Very Very dark black pour. Nice tall mocha colored head. Nice retention and some leggy lace.

S: Very bold roasted malt, chocolate, coffee, and bourbon. No real oak or vanilla.

T: Malty goodness, but boy is this sweet. We are not talking darkness 08, but this is a sweet beer. There is tons of chocolate malt, with notes of molasses, dark fruit, and toffee. It is boozy with strong notes of bourbon as well. Once again I don't pick up oak or vanilla. I realize a ton of malt was used here, but it is a bit too sweet for my taste. Would like to see the other components of the barrel as well.

M: Very full in body, rich, sweet, slight boozy burn in the finish.

D: All that being said for 19% it is damn drinkable. Great Great beer, was not epic though.

tpd975, Dec 20, 2009
4.18/5  rDev -7.9%

I owe wespatrick a lot for this one. He is a great trader and hopefully he is happy with what I sent him. We all know the story about the beer and the stories about what people thought about it. Reviewed from notes.

The pour looks like used motor oil that came from my old 1980 Oldsmobile. It hits the glass and with a very aggressive pour produces a half finger head. The head has big fat bubbles, the whole thing is colored like a dark leather belt. The alcoholic legs are medium, but leave behind a grainy residue. The head leaves very fast and all that is left is a film over the brew that reminds me of 'The Swamp Thing'. No lacing and no head retention is why there is not a perfect score.

The smell is divine. Moist chocolate cake, bourbon, raisins, plums, earth, Hersheys syrup, and lots of sugar. One of the best smelling beers I have come across.

The taste comes off not very complex at first, but then the sugars give way to other characters. Dark fruits covered in Hershey syrup. Cinnamon with figs and bourbon in very small hints. Absolutely no alcohol in terms of harsh 20% ABV, just the smooth flavors of bourbon and earthy malts. Towards the end of the tasting it came to taste more like liquid chocolate cake. It was so sweet that if I had the choice, I would of paired it with some vanilla ice cream to make it the best dessert ever. The sugars are expected, but I have never had a beer with such an array of chocolate sugar flavors. Liquid cake, fudge, chocolate covered raising, but no bitter cooking cocoa. Nothing really bitter at all, just smooth sweet chocolate. I almost wish the bourbon was a bigger character, but this is a little aged to the point where it is starting the transformation into a different beer. Overall pleased but too sweet.

The mouthfeel has a bit of alcoholic breath, and sits heavy on the palate. It has a grainy aspect that reminds me of over cooked fudge. Its sugars grind in between your teeth and pretty much put the sweet tooth in a head lock. I could of drank the whole bottle easily, but would of felt like I had just finished a whole batch of fudge by myself. A dessert beer at its best.

The drinkability is good and very enjoyable. It is the perfect beer to share with someone for the third person that tasted this enjoyed it. She was a non beeradvocate that seems to like craft beer. She tasted it and very much enjoyed it. I think that this is the creme of the crop for some, and just okay for others. I can see why this got so much praise, because it does deserve it. It is extremely sweet and rich and decadent. It is a beer you pair with the finest dessert with the best of friends. I enjoyed it, but it is far from my favorite of the style.

J

Jmoore50, Feb 03, 2010
4.18/5  rDev -7.9%

Another one from an amazing tasting.

A Pours a nice black color topped with a mocha head.

S Very sweet with a ton of chocolate. Almost reminiscent of chocolate syrup. A bit of alcohol comes through as well.

T The taste follows the nose with a very sweet milk chocolate flavor coming through.This is followed by a kick of alcohol.

M mediumish mouthfeel with a noticeable alcoholic burn.

Overall this is a great beer but due to the sweetness and the massive abv I wouldn't want more then a glass of it though. Perfect beer to share at a tasting.

beerandcycling88, Jan 09, 2012
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thick, black pour with no head. Aroma is sweet and of bourbon. Flavor is very balanced for something this big, very sweet and malty but not as hot as I would have expected. Overall a great brew, but I'm not sure it was worth all the hype that surrounded it.

tprokop7, Feb 16, 2010
4.19/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Pitch black with extremely little head that disappears immediately leaving just an outer ring of foam around the glass.

S: This is a monster! Booze blast to the face. Chocolate/vanilla show up to say hey after the booze takes off, but not without wearing out its welcome!

T: BOOZE.. who woulda thought. Port wine, choc/vanilla, fudge, dark fruits. So much going on here. So many different complex taste attributes to this beast of a beer.

M: medium-full body and tingling/numbing booze. Enjoyable to sip on...only to sip on.

O: This is a beer I've always wanted to try, and it almost lived up to the hype but not quite. This beer is a great candidate for consuming with friends as an after dinner drink, or laying down to forget about for a few years. I feel sorry for the poor bastard that tries to take this one down on their own. Share w/ friends.

egrace84, Mar 18, 2013
4.2/5  rDev -7.5%

A poured into a pint glass this brew pours black but not as dark as I was hoping. With a name like black Tuesday I expected midnight black, nonetheless this brew is impressive.

S the aroma is rich with Bourbon. You can smell the massive amount of grain I. This brew. Sweet malt. Big and in your face.

T the flavor is pure ris with a mautly sweetness. The Bourbon is well blended. Maybe a little to sweet, but this brew is huge. Mollasses and a little anise round off the brew.

Mf mouthfeel is good considering the barrel aging. Can use more carbonation

Overall an amazing brew. Pure ris with an American twist

TKEbeerman, Apr 15, 2012
4.2/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle from the NWI Black Tuesday 09-12 and variants tasting

A - Dark chocolate brown with a slight mocha colored head on the sides of the glass. Looks to be a really thick and viscous beer

S - Dark chocolate, vanilla, slight bourbon and oak

T - Sweet vanilla, light chocolate, brown sugar, dark fruit (like plums) and light oak that lingers in the finish. This wasn't as boozy as the variants and didn't have as much of a bourbon presence

M - Thick syrupy sweet beer that coats the tongue. Light oak astringency that lingers in the finish.

O - This is one thick and syrupy beer. It is solid across the board. It is definitely a sweet beer with lots of chocolate and vanilla. We had the 09-12 and I'd say this is one beer that is definitely better with about 2 years on it. It helps mellow it out and allows the flavors to blend together well

jeonseh, Feb 23, 2013
4.2/5  rDev -7.5%

Split with 3 other people courtesy of MrFootstones.

Aroma- tobacco, chocolate, clean alchohol, earthy dirt, mineral, vanilla, molasses, oak, wood, roasted/charred malt. whiskey.

App - rich dark brown foam. creamy. black with mahogany edge. good retention. legs.

Taste- roasty, chocolate. caramel, lots of specialty malt and unfermentables. slightly funky off malt complexity - too many malts. delicious layered flavor. licorice. brown sugar. hops are balanced and not distinct. very sweet but also intense overall.

Mouthfeel- full, sweet and cloying if drank too fast. low fine carb. lots of clean alcohol- it is there but not harsh. syrup. could be better but great for a huge beer.

Overall- similiar to Bourbon County Stout but not as good. I would prefer an Abyss or BCS over this, but it is very good. The alcohol is strong so a 6 oz pour is enough.

hobojon, Jan 31, 2010

Reviewed from notes. Thanks to pecorasc for splitting this 3 ways

A: Pours Dark Black. Medium tan head, but NO lacing. Looks like it came out a little thin.

S: One word: Molasses! dark fruits come through and I pick up alcohol, but not the 19.5%. Nice bourbon and vanilla aromas. Smells a lot like the 08 Darkness I had a little while back.

T: Very sweet. Lots of alcohol/bourbon in the front. Dark Fruit appears in the finish with molasses and vanilla. I like the sweetness, but if you dont, this beer is not for you. Also, the alcohol burn is there.

M: Surprisingly thin. I was hoping for more body with this and some nice chewy thickness.

D: Its sweet and high alcohol, so you cant drink a lot of this, but overall, I thought my 3rd of the bottle serving was perfect.

boothbeer, May 11, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -7.5%

Celebratory last beer in CA.

A- Pours out of the bottle like a sludge of viscous oil. A dark mocha head forms to about a half centimeter and falls to a creamy ring around the glass. Sticky legs and only a few lace spots.

S- Starts out as a fudge, cocoa forward massive stout with big dark raisins and subdued bourbon. Warmth allows the oak, whiskey and vanilla to come out. When warm it is amazing bourbon brownie dessert greatness.

T- Just like the aroma but one major difference, sweetness really comes out. The great cocoa, fudge, truffle, whiskey, raisin fruit, vanilla profile is brought down somewhat by a big sweet table sugar presence. Don't get me wrong, it is good but would be phenomenal if this wasnt the case.

MF- Oily, super thick (most ever) body with a surprisingly creamy and slick oily body. Not as warm as I expected, just a nice alcohol compliment.

A true dessert beer. The sweetness (surprised more reviews don't mention it) is the only thing that keeps this from being spectacular. It is also the first time a beer really made me feel more drunk, sip by sip. Very well hidden alcohol, would take some alcohol flavor for a cut in sweetness though.

cbutova, Oct 28, 2011
4.2/5  rDev -7.5%

Several samples on tap at the GABF. Late in the night when they stopped serving this I spotted a wasted volunteer (in a sombrero) just pouring himself glass after glass of this and slamming it. I am 100% sure he had no idea what he was drinking. Priceless.

App- Black as night. Motor oil in a glass with a thick brown head. Beautiful.

SM- Bourbon, espresso, vanilla, chocolate. Very sweet.

Ta- Very similar to the smell, but with some heat. Have to say people overdo the heat aspect in their reviews. Had I not know the ABV, I would have guessed this was ~9%. The oakiness really plays nice with all the other flavors.

MF- The super subtle carbonation cuts the sweetness beautifully. You keep tasting this long after you are done.

DR- A beautiful sipper.

I don't know if any beer deserves the hype that this one has gotten, but it sure does it's best. Great beer.

gueuzer, Sep 20, 2010

Revisited on 6/16/12.

Vintage 2011. Side by side with batch 2 of Chocolate Rain!

Poured into snifter from bomber bottle. Pours a black not quite opaque color with a small brownish tan head.

Smells of boozy bourbon, vanilla, and rich chocolate.

Taste is wonderful! Bourbon goodness right away with chocolate, marshmellows, and vanilla. Very sweet and rich. Finishes sweet with vanilla, oak, hint of leather & tobacco with even more bourbon.

Awesome mouthfeel heavy full bodied beer with low carbonation. Viscous, and coats the mouth first sip! Drinkable when you consider how high the ABV is. It still has that warming heat to it.

Overall: Its a beast of a beer. Drank side by side with Chocolate Rain, my preference goes to Chocolate rain over Black Tuesday, but you gotta have a great base beer to make Chocolate Rain.

4DAloveofSTOUT, Apr 25, 2010

Marco_Gtz, Sep 08, 2014
4.2/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Review #100. Took me longer to get here than it should've, but I can honestly say that I didn't expect to try Black Tuesday within my first 100 reviews. So for that, I feel pretty lucky. I've had this twice now, first on-tap at Bruery Provisions on November 7th, 2011, and second from a bomber on November 22nd, 2011. Both 2011 vintages.

This review will be for the on-tap 2 oz. sample, served in a wine taster.

A - Well, it's not as oily as CC offerings, but it is as thick as I expected. Truly black and utterly still. Literally no carbonation, head, or retention atop the body. Lacing amounts to minimal bubbles mixed with a light brown film across the face of the glass.

S - Predominantly bourbon oak barrel, and a really damn good-smelling one at that. Underneath, it's difficult to pick out everything. What I can name includes vanilla bean, decadent dark chocolate and cocoa, light caramel, a sort of nutty character, roasted cashews and almonds, light spices, and the faintest touch of alcohol.

T - This is the absolute best-tasting stout I've had. Immense creamy milk chocolate at the front. Mid-palate is comprised of bourbon, oak, insanely-robust vanilla, stronger caramel, toffee, and roasted notes. This is massive and perfectly-integrated. This goes beyond a 5.0.

M - Heavy body with a soft and creamy feel. The finish is lightly-bitter, almost tannic, and lingers with a roasted/bourbon/wood quality. Alcohol reveals itself as throat-warming.

D - Black Tuesday tastes amazing. The nose isn't quite on the same level with a bit too much bourbon to find that pinpoint balance with all of the other characters. Otherwise, it's as well-crafted and complex as anything I can think of.

Primary difference between on-tap and bottling - a bit more carbonation in the bottle, with actual visible head. Smell and taste were virtually identical with what I recall on-tap.

Edit - 2012 revisit. The malts got carried away in the newest vintage and it's just too sweet. Docking slightly for consistency because this vintage really isn't that great.

Auracom, Nov 27, 2011
4.2/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to eyebereej for sending this particular bottle. 2012 vintage. Poured from wax-sealed 750 mL bottle into a Brooklyn Brewery snifter glass.

A: Pours a nicely opaque black, with no visible carbonation and a thin tan head.

S: Big bourbon, oak, cacao, dark fruits, sweet with roasted malts, tannins, and mild acetone.

T: Boozy bourbon, oak, cacao, some dark fruits, sticky sweet, and big alcohol burn with some acetone. Boozy sticky chocolate in the hang.

M: Thin body for a big Imperial Stout, low carbonation, and whatever superlative you'd care to apply to the alcohol presence.

O: First of all, this was good. There's an awful lot of barrel character and booze, to the point that even if the ABV wasn't so high, I wouldn't want to drink it all the time. My biggest complaint was the body. Perhaps I'm spoiled by the amazing mouthfeel of Cigar City's stouts, but this really fell short in that department. Very good, but not quite great.

macrosmatic, Oct 13, 2013
4.2/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

The headliner of our winter tasting tonight. First off, large props to BevmoIan and Errantnight for the hookup of Black Tuesday bottles and being reasonable traders of this highly sought after beer. Thanks to you both.

A - Dark pour with a khaki head that settles down.

S - A virtual whose who of smells greet you afer a pour into a snifter. Everything that you can imagine, toffee, caramel, candy sugar, chocolate, coffee, and smoke. The only reason it is not a 5 is that the booze is fairly apparent. I would equate this to Darkness or Dark Lord *2 with a strong boozy smell.

T - Given that it tops out near 20%, I have to give the mad scientiests mad props for this beer. It certainly has the booze behind it, but it is 20% for crying out loud. Actually, very pleasant given the ABV which is a real marvel to the craft of this beer. The booze is there, but it is still great.

M - Slick, chewy, oily and very satisfying.

D - You can split one of these 6 ways and still get a good experience. Try to drink this one by yourself and you will make a fool of yourself. You just can't have more than 4-5 ounces of this and get away with it.

It is a great beer and worthy of the acclaim. Other than the over the top boozy profile, it is REALLY good. Thanks to the above mentioned again for the hook-up.

Beerisheaven, Jan 30, 2010

Lugo, Aug 14, 2014
4.2/5  rDev -7.5%

2010 Vintage. Big thanks to Jeff for sharing this bottle.

A: Pours (shockingly) black with much more of a head than I was expecting for a beer so big. Appears to have some nice carbonation.

S: Aroma is great! Bourbon, chocolate and oak really all come together nearly perfectly here.

T: Taste follows the smell, with bourbon, chocolate and oak as the dominant flavors. It's quite sweet, but not cloying. Impressively balanced flavor for a beer so big and doesn't taste overly boozy.

M: Mouthfeel is a little on the thinner side for a beer so big, but not necessarily in a bad way. Definitely a little sticky-sweetness left in your mouth as well.

O: I was definitely a fan of this one, but it's a beer you really only need a small amount of. We split the bottle 4 ways and that was just fine with me, I didn't really need to have more than that. We all kinda came to the conclusion that it's a great dessert beer, but I'm not sure it's more than that. I'd love to try it with some age, and I'm glad I got to try it, but I can't think of a time where I would really ever be craving to drink this beer again.

starrdogg, Aug 10, 2011
4.2/5  rDev -7.5%

2010 Vintage. Really been waiting a while to try this and I just moved so what better beer to break in the new house.

A= Pours into my Duvel Tulip a deep black color with a nice finger of head on it that falls fast and leaves a coca cola like fizz on top of the glass. A somewhat impressive head despite the size of the beer. The lacing is nowhere and the bubbles left after a while come strictly from the laser etching on the glass.

S= Smells of sweet sticky booze. Molasses comes to mind as well as maple syrup. The barrel comes through in a more minimal sense. The vanilla is present but again a bit minimal. An interesting mix. Nothing I would concider to be that amazing.

T= The taste is actually a bit suprising. Really sweet. The booze isn't as prominate as I would have expected. The sweetness is almost unbearable however. There is a big booze sting to it that dies a bit as it warms. Molasses come through the most. A decent bit of barrel and vanilla comes through as well. Mostly just really sweet though with a big booze bite.

M= The mouth is actually pretty thick for the size of the beast. Thick and slick like oil. There is a bit of an alcohol vapor left in my mouth that thins it out a bit in the finish.

O= This isn't as transending as I thought it would be. It is mostly just different because the hype and following this beer has. Worth checking out for sure and an amazing beer but it isn't nearly what people have said it is. In the end this is still a huge RIS with a ton of sugars in it. For what this beer is and where it came from I will say it is great though. Worth checking out but not worth blowing the bank. I think most local RIS's have a more nostalgic effect and are usually better per individuals taste.

jjanega08, Aug 03, 2011
4.2/5  rDev -7.5%

Got this in a trade from a very generous BA. Thanks! My contribution to the Rush Hour Tasting v1.

A- Brown, not black, a deep dark brown, and there's a head! It's about half a finger, the bubbles themselves are brown, and they are thin-walled and stick like sea foam.

S- Mild coffee astringency, sweet brown sugar, caramelized/molasses, a bit of bourbon as well.

T- BOURBON! Semi-sweet chocolate. Like a Hershey bar or hot cocoa mix. Molasses, coffee, almond paste. Tastes like a rich chocolate truffle, boozy, of course..

M- This is great... until it warms up. Then the alcohol comes through even stronger. Oppressive, almost.

D- Moderate. A little goes a LONG way. I enjoyed my first glass, and my second glass sat for about 3 hours before I mustered up the strength to finish it.

ShogoKawada, Dec 22, 2009
4.21/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Big thanks to Tommy for nailing this long time want of mine - it has eluded me for too long! Black Tuesday pours, well... black. Deep black with dark, dark brown only rounding out the corners. No head, no foamy collar, nothing in terms of life except for a few bleak bubbles that rise to the surface and immediately pop; its got legs like a supermodel when you swirl the glass, though.

What a massive aroma; as soon as your nose heads towards the glass, Black Tuesday's aroma reaches out and runs a train on your nostrils. Warm bourbon, smooth caramel, cocoa dust, chocolate malts, mild vanilla, thick brown sugar, molasses, and some heavy back-end black licorice and anise. Pretty sweet and boozy, and at 19.2% ABV, I don't think that's a surprise to anyone.

The taste is every bit as huge as the aroma, and every bit of that 19.2% ABV is felt, as well as matched with enormous malty sweetness. Sugary and sweet up front, rivers of warm caramel, bourbon soaked oak chips, roasty chocolate malts, minimal roast, and sticky molasses. It's just such a gigantic beer; every single sip lingers on your palate long after it has been swallowed. Black Tuesday, straight annihilating your taste buds.

Everything you thought you knew about hot, sweet beer just got wrecked thanks to this malt dragon. The finish is full of more cocoa, caramel, bourbon, oak, as well as some vanilla and licorice sweetness. Warmth, of course, brings out more sweetness, more robustness, and more booze. The mouth feel is monstrous as well; sticky and thick, chewy, oily, large and in charge.

Black Tuesday is a beast of a beer - a true night cap and a sipper if there ever was one. It'll take even the manliest of men a while to pounce through their pours of this one. That said, it's quite tasty and really an enjoyable experience, but you better leave the Motrin on the night stand if you plan on tackling this one alone. Huge, sweet, and boozy; unabashedly so. Thanks again, Tommy.

tectactoe, Jul 29, 2013