Black Tuesday - The Bruery

2011: 18.3% ABV
2012: 19.2% ABV
2013: 18.9% ABV
2014: 19.7% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Black Tuesday Alström Bros
4.22/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to eyebereej for sending this particular bottle. 2012 vintage. Poured from wax-sealed 750 mL bottle into a Brooklyn Brewery snifter glass.

A: Pours a nicely opaque black, with no visible carbonation and a thin tan head.

S: Big bourbon, oak, cacao, dark fruits, sweet with roasted malts, tannins, and mild acetone.

T: Boozy bourbon, oak, cacao, some dark fruits, sticky sweet, and big alcohol burn with some acetone. Boozy sticky chocolate in the hang.

M: Thin body for a big Imperial Stout, low carbonation, and whatever superlative you'd care to apply to the alcohol presence.

O: First of all, this was good. There's an awful lot of barrel character and booze, to the point that even if the ABV wasn't so high, I wouldn't want to drink it all the time. My biggest complaint was the body. Perhaps I'm spoiled by the amazing mouthfeel of Cigar City's stouts, but this really fell short in that department. Very good, but not quite great.

4.22/5  rDev -7%

2010 Vintage. Big thanks to Jeff for sharing this bottle.

A: Pours (shockingly) black with much more of a head than I was expecting for a beer so big. Appears to have some nice carbonation.

S: Aroma is great! Bourbon, chocolate and oak really all come together nearly perfectly here.

T: Taste follows the smell, with bourbon, chocolate and oak as the dominant flavors. It's quite sweet, but not cloying. Impressively balanced flavor for a beer so big and doesn't taste overly boozy.

M: Mouthfeel is a little on the thinner side for a beer so big, but not necessarily in a bad way. Definitely a little sticky-sweetness left in your mouth as well.

O: I was definitely a fan of this one, but it's a beer you really only need a small amount of. We split the bottle 4 ways and that was just fine with me, I didn't really need to have more than that. We all kinda came to the conclusion that it's a great dessert beer, but I'm not sure it's more than that. I'd love to try it with some age, and I'm glad I got to try it, but I can't think of a time where I would really ever be craving to drink this beer again.

4.22/5  rDev -7%

I owe wespatrick a lot for this one. He is a great trader and hopefully he is happy with what I sent him. We all know the story about the beer and the stories about what people thought about it. Reviewed from notes.

The pour looks like used motor oil that came from my old 1980 Oldsmobile. It hits the glass and with a very aggressive pour produces a half finger head. The head has big fat bubbles, the whole thing is colored like a dark leather belt. The alcoholic legs are medium, but leave behind a grainy residue. The head leaves very fast and all that is left is a film over the brew that reminds me of 'The Swamp Thing'. No lacing and no head retention is why there is not a perfect score.

The smell is divine. Moist chocolate cake, bourbon, raisins, plums, earth, Hersheys syrup, and lots of sugar. One of the best smelling beers I have come across.

The taste comes off not very complex at first, but then the sugars give way to other characters. Dark fruits covered in Hershey syrup. Cinnamon with figs and bourbon in very small hints. Absolutely no alcohol in terms of harsh 20% ABV, just the smooth flavors of bourbon and earthy malts. Towards the end of the tasting it came to taste more like liquid chocolate cake. It was so sweet that if I had the choice, I would of paired it with some vanilla ice cream to make it the best dessert ever. The sugars are expected, but I have never had a beer with such an array of chocolate sugar flavors. Liquid cake, fudge, chocolate covered raising, but no bitter cooking cocoa. Nothing really bitter at all, just smooth sweet chocolate. I almost wish the bourbon was a bigger character, but this is a little aged to the point where it is starting the transformation into a different beer. Overall pleased but too sweet.

The mouthfeel has a bit of alcoholic breath, and sits heavy on the palate. It has a grainy aspect that reminds me of over cooked fudge. Its sugars grind in between your teeth and pretty much put the sweet tooth in a head lock. I could of drank the whole bottle easily, but would of felt like I had just finished a whole batch of fudge by myself. A dessert beer at its best.

The drinkability is good and very enjoyable. It is the perfect beer to share with someone for the third person that tasted this enjoyed it. She was a non beeradvocate that seems to like craft beer. She tasted it and very much enjoyed it. I think that this is the creme of the crop for some, and just okay for others. I can see why this got so much praise, because it does deserve it. It is extremely sweet and rich and decadent. It is a beer you pair with the finest dessert with the best of friends. I enjoyed it, but it is far from my favorite of the style.

J

4.23/5  rDev -6.8%

Split with 3 other people courtesy of MrFootstones.

Aroma- tobacco, chocolate, clean alchohol, earthy dirt, mineral, vanilla, molasses, oak, wood, roasted/charred malt. whiskey.

App - rich dark brown foam. creamy. black with mahogany edge. good retention. legs.

Taste- roasty, chocolate. caramel, lots of specialty malt and unfermentables. slightly funky off malt complexity - too many malts. delicious layered flavor. licorice. brown sugar. hops are balanced and not distinct. very sweet but also intense overall.

Mouthfeel- full, sweet and cloying if drank too fast. low fine carb. lots of clean alcohol- it is there but not harsh. syrup. could be better but great for a huge beer.

Overall- similiar to Bourbon County Stout but not as good. I would prefer an Abyss or BCS over this, but it is very good. The alcohol is strong so a 6 oz pour is enough.

4.23/5  rDev -6.8%

2009 vintage. This one pours a viscous oily midnight black with no head. It smells of dark chocolate, roasted coffee, and intense dark fruit sweetness. It has a really sweet nose. It drinks of chocolate coffee syrup and is insanely flavorful despite the sweetness. The chocolate and dark fruits work very well together. It's smooth, thick, and syrupy and could be hard to finish due to sugar and alcohol but its an intense imperial stout. This is just a massive beer and despite the abv, is not too hot having mellowed slightly, being the 2009 vintage. While good, I don't know why this vintage demands so much on the trade block.

4.23/5  rDev -6.8%

Several samples on tap at the GABF. Late in the night when they stopped serving this I spotted a wasted volunteer (in a sombrero) just pouring himself glass after glass of this and slamming it. I am 100% sure he had no idea what he was drinking. Priceless.

App- Black as night. Motor oil in a glass with a thick brown head. Beautiful.

SM- Bourbon, espresso, vanilla, chocolate. Very sweet.

Ta- Very similar to the smell, but with some heat. Have to say people overdo the heat aspect in their reviews. Had I not know the ABV, I would have guessed this was ~9%. The oakiness really plays nice with all the other flavors.

MF- The super subtle carbonation cuts the sweetness beautifully. You keep tasting this long after you are done.

DR- A beautiful sipper.

I don't know if any beer deserves the hype that this one has gotten, but it sure does it's best. Great beer.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

9/18/13 bottling date. into a tulip

pours a pitch black with a mild beige head. smell is big on ABV and malts..slight dark chocolate. the taste is very big on ABV and malty....big on the bourbon....huge body...sipper...mild carbonation.

overall very good..lovely

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A-Black in the glass one finger off white head.

S-Bourbon, lots of it. Some roasted malt, chocolate and slight coffee.

T-Lots of bourbon. Some roasted malt, slight chocolate. The high level of bourbon when fresh dominates any other flavors.

M-Medium to heavy in body, not much carbonation.

O-Just too much bourbon, to alcoholic when fresh. It needs to sit and balance out.

4.24/5  rDev -6.6%

Celebratory last beer in CA.

A- Pours out of the bottle like a sludge of viscous oil. A dark mocha head forms to about a half centimeter and falls to a creamy ring around the glass. Sticky legs and only a few lace spots.

S- Starts out as a fudge, cocoa forward massive stout with big dark raisins and subdued bourbon. Warmth allows the oak, whiskey and vanilla to come out. When warm it is amazing bourbon brownie dessert greatness.

T- Just like the aroma but one major difference, sweetness really comes out. The great cocoa, fudge, truffle, whiskey, raisin fruit, vanilla profile is brought down somewhat by a big sweet table sugar presence. Don't get me wrong, it is good but would be phenomenal if this wasnt the case.

MF- Oily, super thick (most ever) body with a surprisingly creamy and slick oily body. Not as warm as I expected, just a nice alcohol compliment.

A true dessert beer. The sweetness (surprised more reviews don't mention it) is the only thing that keeps this from being spectacular. It is also the first time a beer really made me feel more drunk, sip by sip. Very well hidden alcohol, would take some alcohol flavor for a cut in sweetness though.

4.24/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2012 Vintage... taking this bottle down by myself...

A: Pours black, with brown hues on the edges. There is a think bubbly khaki colored head that fades quickly, leaving a small frothy ring along the edges of the beer. There is no lacing as it drinks.

S: The nose is really sweet. I get prunes, raisins, dates, some caramel, and maybe a bit of vanilla extract.

T: It starts out with a big burst of sugary sweetness. I get prunes, caramel, and vanilla extract, and white chocolate. The beer get's hugely boozy in the back end, but you kind of expect that with a 19.2% beer.

M: Full bodied beer. Sweet and smooth to start, but once the liquid moves off the palate, it gets sticky and almost syrupy.

O: This is a good beer. I don't know if I'd call it great, but I'm enjoying it. It's very sweet, and that is usually a turn off for me, but the alcohol is so high that it cuts the sweetness a bit. It's going to be a chore to finish this bottle by myself. Challenge accepted!

4.25/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours a thick deep brown and a nice dark tan head. The aroma is overwhelming of bourbon and sweet chocolate. Just by the aroma you can tell it's a strong beer.

Taste is very complex and rich, dark chocolate mixed with coffee and maybe some vanilla, bourbon and oak are strong as well without one flavor dominating, it's a bit hard to put a finger on what your tasting at a single moment. The bourbon might be the most dominate which kinda detracts from the beer goodness I know is underneath.

The mouthfeel is indeed very thick and rich and to be honest a bit hard to drink by itself and needs a nice food complement to I think fully enjoy the nuances of this beer.

Overall a great beer, but a couple things need to be better balanced to hide the bourbon a bit more and to ease the drinkability... needs to be smoothed out. I had a 2011 bottle so it's likely aged bottles will be better balanced.

Black Tuesday from The Bruery