Black Tuesday - The Bruery

2010: 18.2% ABV
2011: 18.3% ABV
2012: 19.2% ABV
2013: 18.9% ABV

(Beer added by: OlieIPA on 07-18-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Black Tuesday Alström Bros
kingcrowing

Vermont

3.1/5  rDev -31.6%

750ml black waxed bottle, 2010 Vintage.

Pours a super dark inky black with a small but super dark brown head. Nose is crazy boozy, malty, sweet, raisin and molasses.

Taste is very hot, boozy, sweet and honestly just a bit too much. The mouthfeel is syrupy but almost too thin, sticky and quite low carbonation. There is a good dark, sweet melty chocolate.

This is pretty much the concent of my group - not sure about the high ratings on here

06-11-2011 01:29:53 | More by kingcrowing
beerbeagle

3.15/5  rDev -30.5%

Have had this on two occasions and just wasn't that impressed. Appearance was what you would expect for this type of beer. Felt it was better served at cellar temperature. Seemed to be drinkable at this temp. As it warmed the malty sweetness really made this hard to finish. Not overly heavy on the bourbon. Was definiely a sipper. First bottle was shared with about 8 people with each getting about 4-5 ozs. And all felt that was a large enough sample. Bottle two wa sshared with 4 other people . With half the bottle left unfinished.

03-15-2010 01:10:39 | More by beerbeagle
khiasmus

South Carolina

3.15/5  rDev -30.5%

Many, many thanks to HopHeadlouie for sending this to me... I'm saddened that it was not what I had hoped for.

A viscous black, liquified dark, nothing on top at all. Stains, not legs or lacing, remain on the sides, a glass of ink, black ink, careful it doesn't stain your clothes.
One whiff and you remember your childhood. You used to love sweets. Eat them all day. Pecan pie, Hershey's chocolate syrup, fudge, chocolate cake. These are what you smell, the aromas that you used to love. But now you are older. Now you also smell the alcoholic burn in it... you catch the hint, the hint of that soy-sauce-sweet-syrup, that called Triple Bock. No, really. Yes, really. A good dose of Triple Bock with the chocolate cake in the nose.
And the flavour, there again, reminds you... well, no sense in remembering, let's break out the ol' photo album, and there you are. Chocolate cake all over your face, your hair, your hands, chocolate icing, chocolate milk, chocolate fudge, chocolate brownies, and caramel. Milky Way, take a bite of alcoholic Milky Way. Alcoholic sweet, chocolatey, syrupy, nougatey, fudgey, Triple Bock.
That Hershey's syrup mouthfeel too, syrupy, sticky, creamy, immensely thick, almost no carbonation, and a lingering syrupy warmth.
This thing would be wonderful if you still loved to eat chocolate cake until your gut could no longer take it anymore. It's little but a chocolate fudge liqueur. Nothing RIS about this one. No roastiness, no balance, just tons and tons of chocolate syrup. Alcoholic, liquid chocolate cake.

11-24-2009 03:01:14 | More by khiasmus
SpeedwayJim

3.2/5  rDev -29.4%

Shared by capra12 (Jon). Opened at a tasting 5/29/10. 4oz. pour from a 750ml waxed wine bottle into a snifter. Reviewed from notes. You know your tasting is epic when BT becomes an afterthought.

A: Pours a 1/4 finger mocha head that quickly collapses in on itself. Beer is a black hole. Perhaps the blackest I've ever seen any RIS. No lacing.

S: Ridiculous booziness upfront drowns out all pretenses of complexity. My nostrils fight to try to get something more here. Some chocolate, prunes, raisins, other dried, dark fruit, brownie, and licquorice. Not the most appetizing aroma as I think I'm gonna get a facefull of alcohol...

T: Chocolate, dark fruit, brownies, and licquorice. Exceedingly sweet and a huge booze bomb. Make no mistake about it, I tasted all 19.5% of this one and every sip made me cringe. Aftertaste is... what else? Sweet is all heck and still incredibly hot and boozy. The complexity is definitely there... but its blanketed by alcohol.

M: Medium to full bodied with more carbonation than I'd expect. Oily in the mouth and silky going down. Very smooth for its ABV. Finish is messy with a big, lingering aftertaste.

D: All hype. How could I think anything else? Waaay to boozy and waaaay too sweet. Its sad since there's a lot going on here and the feel is near perfect but why does it have to be 19.5% and why does it have to flaunt every single % in the taste and nose?!?! I'll give it another try down the line but as it is now, definitely not my cup of tea and DEFINITELY not worth the buzz and trouble.

05-30-2010 15:20:25 | More by SpeedwayJim

KaslD

02-09-2013 09:59:28 | More by KaslD
Arceo

3.25/5  rDev -28.3%

Had on tap at the release party Nov 27.

Poured a nice jet black with small tan head. A swirl of the glass left a thick residue on the side. Awesome.

Smelled of bourbon and dark fruit. I am almost able to get drunk off inhaling this stuff , its so hot..

One sip and you realize this isnt an ordinary beer. There is plenty of stout style flavors in this ; Coffee, chocolate, bourbon, a bit of a grainy flavor as well, like a chewy nutty taste. However the alc% just bites right through all of it at times when i wish it hadn't. The flavors are just too big all around at this time, an d i wonder how this will age.

Mouthfeel is just about right, as is isnt too thick like bourbon county.

One 4 oz taster and i was feelin pretty buzzed, i couldnt drink a whole bottle alone, or even 2 people probably. It's like drinking liquor with alot more flavor than usual.

Overall I am glad i didnt spend 30$ on a bottle because this to me isn't as good as say The Abyss, and thats 12$.

10-30-2009 09:28:32 | More by Arceo

04-18-2013 19:09:16 | More by readbaron
rvdoorn

Netherlands

3.28/5  rDev -27.6%

Thanks to Jeff and Erik for sharing this one during the BA tasting in Utrecht. Had this one (2011 vintage) side-to-side with the Black Damnation 5 double black
Look: the beer pours a dark black color with a very small beige-brown head.
Smell: Sweet dark malts, chocolate and bourbon.
Taste: Sharp and very sweet. Brown sugar mixed with bourbon and malts. The beer has a quite alcoholic burn. Way too boozy.
Mouthfeel: Medium-low carbonation, full bodied.
Overall: Way too boozy. It was funny to have this one next to the 24% abv BD5 in which the alcohol is much more hidden. The opinions about this beer head-2-head with the BD5 differed at the end of the evening, but the majority preferred the BD5 over this one. For me it was not even a fair contest. Overrated and K.O. first round against the BD5!

12-30-2011 11:47:05 | More by rvdoorn
MysterySwirl

Wisconsin

3.33/5  rDev -26.5%

I've been looking forward to trying this beer since it's been so hard to get. These California traders really have this beer nailed down. I couldn't get any of this beer in a trade, so I bought my bottle from the website that BA won't let me mention here.

Appearance: Really dark chocolate-like but the opacity dissipates into a brown hue if you angle the glass and look through the light making me think it's more of a porter than a stout.

Putting my nose down to the rim of my snifter glass, the bourbon is too pronounced which overpowers the chewiness, fruitiness, and chocolate smell. It smells sweet like cherries and dark fruits but I can smell the alcohol coming through.

This taste like bourbon soaked chocolate covered cherries, raisins, figs, bready, lots of flavor but the mouthfeel is thin which the appearance hinted at. Something about this beer reminds me of an aged World Wide Stout with bourbon-added but not integrated well.

I honestly didn't finish my bottle. Two glasses was enough for me. I'm glad I had friends that I was able to share this bottle with. Because of that, I consider it's drinkability to be low. This would be better as a sipper for an after dinner drink like how ports and liqeuers are served with dessert or by the fireplace.

All in all, there's some complexity here to make it one of the higher-rated beers but don't be fooled by the hype, which sadly may be its downfall. If you get a chance to try this beer, I suggest you ignore the hype and approach it without expectations for what it is.

12-08-2009 19:04:18 | More by MysterySwirl
pepsican

Iowa

3.35/5  rDev -26%

Thanks to Greg for the sample at johns. Much appreciated! Pours pitch black with a small tan head. Aroma is up front raisin, vanilla, figs, plums, and brown sugar. Lots of dark fruit along with chocolate are sitting in the background, and the alcohol is really prominent after a good amount of sniffing and swirling. The flavor, unfortunately, is a bit of a mess.

Up front this beer has a great bourbon/vanilla flavor, and quite a bit of chocolatey goodness. Molasses and toffee round out the good parts. Very rich. It all falls apart when the cloying sweetness hits you. All of the great notes of the beer get dominated by the under-attenuation, think amaretto sweetness and you are getting close. After a few sips I'm just overwhelmed. Not enough is going on to offset the cloying aspects of this beer; it doesn't try to hide it one bit. It also had a bit of over roasted coffee thrown in that I didn't pick up at all in the nose. I had a rough time getting through my pour and I think if I would have finished it my score would be lower. If ever a beer demanded to be drank in 4oz portions for maximum enjoyment, I'd say this is the one.

The finish is very viscous, almost exactly what you would expect it to be. Carbonation is very soft and works really well. It does have a decent bit of peppery alcohol bite, think tequilla. Being a big spirit drinker I'd certainly question the 19.5% claim on this one though, I'd peg it more in the 15-16% range. If they hit ~20, I'd be impressed with the lack of alcohol presence.

Overall this is a very nice imperial stout and I look forward to trying it again. I could see myself drinking this one in place of a nice port after a meal or when I have a craving for sweets.

11-25-2009 19:49:19 | More by pepsican
calise1122

3.4/5  rDev -24.9%

Sometimes a review kills a movie. In fact, often it is hard for a movie ever to live up the incredible hype critics bath it in. I am sure, in these instances - we walk out with a down feeling on what was actually a pretty good movie - but we were expecting Raging Bull, and got it didn't deliver.

Anyway, that aside - we opened the bottle with a certain level of excitement - a definite pop in your step if you will. But something didn't feel right for me, it didn't seem like an authentic "holy shit" moment - as when I opened my first Westy years ago or just a couple months ago having the FW vertical.

All that doesn't matter - what matters is the beer. Once I butchered the hell out of the wax cap and caused an absolute scene - the incredibly thick and heavy liquid was poured into our respective glasses. A great looking beer for sure: just scary dark, with a really pretty head about a centimeter or so thick with a plum/purplish head. Lacing, check. Lots of lacking and a even as we all sat there for an uncomfortable amount of time not knowing what to do - the smell was mushroom tattooing me on the forehead.

Sweet Sweet chocolate with an incredible amount of - well, booze. A wide array of things happening in this one: vanilla, dark sugar plums, brown sugar, tobacco, raisins, licorice, and of course malts. But then, as we are sitting around listening to bleach something happens - the complexity becomes dwarfed by a smell of booze, and not even good booze... almost rubbing alcohol. It becomes a bit off putting and I am not sure how to fairly rate a beer that begins with me saying "this is f'n great" to ehh... "what the hell happened here". I don't want to discount how good it smells, just that it needs time I suppose.

The taste followed the same trend. It began with a very nice and complex flavor, like a cup really good hot chocolate, you get some of the oak, lots of the vanilla and coffee flavors come through. But then it is almost as if the person who made your hot coffee decided to add more mix, to much mix - creating an uber-sweet concoction that became incredibly hard to drink.

The mouth feel was heavy, lush and sticky. The more it warmed up, the stickiness turned from a nice coat over around the tongue to what felt like a bit of Emerson's glue being swirled around.

And I understand the this has to be rated to style, but part of what makes an Imperial Stout so great is when it is drinkable. 2/3rds of us couldn't finish our glass. It was to sweet, to sticky, and to boozy. It was a really different experience... going from what started as an amazing experience to 20 minutes later being on the complete other end of the spectrum. Good beer for sure, by no means my favorite from the Bruery or from the style. Glad I was able to try it

12-04-2009 13:07:23 | More by calise1122
Fweezle

Nevada

3.4/5  rDev -24.9%

Thanks to hooliganlife for bringing this to a great tasting.

Ok, let's get down to it.
Poured the most amazing stout I've ever seen, just pitch black goodness. Slight off white creamy head that dissolved quite quickly. Kinda disappointing but I'm sure that's the ABV. Smelled of dark German chocolate cake, deep doses of roasted barley, coffee, bourbon, charcoal, wood, and lots and lots of booze. Taste was really disappointing. I was expecting this beer to make me weak in the knees, instead I got a wonderfully flavored imperial stout overpowered with booze. I know for a beer of this strength you would expect some booze, but I think that the key to any good beer is balance and this beer doesn't have it. What flavors I could pick out were good - chocolate cake, sugary syrupy molasses, oak vanilla, and coffee. Mouthfeel was great for this monstrous beer, I had to scrape the sugar coating off my tongue when I was done. As far as the drinkability, My 3oz pour was plenty, in fact maybe a little too much.

Did this live up to the hype for me? No, not really. I'm glad I got to try it and if I came across the opportunity to trade or buy a bottle for a reasonable price I would, because I'd like to age this and see if a year or two can mellow this out. If the booziness can tone down a little, this beer would be out of this world.

12-20-2009 16:53:13 | More by Fweezle
Gyle41386

South Carolina

3.43/5  rDev -24.3%

Big thanks to khiasmus for the opportunity to try this one. With it being held for such high ransom on the trading forum, I was worried I might not have a shot at this one.

Inpenetrable black pour. There's more light brown foam than I would have imagined, which retains well. Not a whole lot of lacing left on the glass, which doesn't surprise me.

The aroma is really, really sweet. Like your standard stout, with a couple of shots of bourbon and a packet of Nestle Quik dumped in. Or maybe if you poured Hershey's syrup into some spiked black coffee. Either way, you get the picture. It's an amped up imperial stout.

The flavor is...well, big. Lots of dark chocolate, molasses, vanilla, and bourbon. Again, it's what you expect from a monster barrel-aged imperial stout.

Unfortunately, there is a harsh boozy finish. I read so many reviews prior to drinking this beer that said how it tasted nothing like 19.5% and how well the alcohol was masked...this beer was hotter than the Dogfish Head Fort we had earlier.

Big, big body. Sticky texture. Obviously, not a very easy drinker. Definitely glad to try it, but it's not worth $30 to me, and it's certainly not worth trading away way more than it's worth.

11-21-2009 18:33:32 | More by Gyle41386
gregc

3.43/5  rDev -24.3%

The infamous Black Tuesday...shared with a few friends...

The bottle pours a richly deep black liquid with a small brownish head. The edges look almost purple.
Aroma starts out nice...rich chocolate, dark fruits, molasses and vanilla. But as this beer warms it starts to head a bit down hill. Overly sweet chocolate and a ton of booze...almost rubbing alcohol like.
Taste is similar to the aroma...lots of rich chocolate, dark fruit, some oak and vanilla. But again as it warms it becomes way too boozy and way to sweet, like drinking chocolate syrup right from the bottle. The booze is also very overpowering at this point.
Mouthfeel is super sticky, overly sweet and very viscous.
I have to say drink ability is not great, but its not horrible. All the sweetness and booze that appears as this warms really kills the drink ability. I find it really hard to believe a lot of these ratings that are giving drink ability such a high score, these people mush be missing a palate and taste buds...Patrick is a great brewer and i applaud the effort, but its a little much...

12-04-2009 03:07:34 | More by gregc
TMoney2591

3.45/5  rDev -23.8%

Served in a snifter.

Big thanks to VDubb86 for sharing his winnings with me!

And the elusive Black Tuesday sits in my glass. Nice. it pours a straight obsidian topped by a half-finger of light ecru foam. The nose comprises rich bourbon, chocolate syrup, roasted malts, molasses, and oak. Smells like the hype might ring true. The taste, though, ensures that it does not. The bourbon is far too hot, the chocolate is just a step too sweet, and these combined with a hefty dose of roasted malts produce an unnerving prickle on the tongue. It's clear there was a damn good idea in place for this beer, but it doesn't seem as though it was carried out very well. Perhaps some age would have done it some good, but I'm not sure I'll find that out. As it stands, the flavors are just too all over the place to work properly. The body is a hefty-ish medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a semi-chewy feel. Overall, though disappointing, I was very glad to have been able to try this brew. I can see why many would love it, but it's just not working for me.

12-25-2010 02:58:35 | More by TMoney2591
craytonic

District of Columbia

3.45/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Appearance: Rich, dark, pour, incredibly thick. Completely coats the glass, and nice head as well.

Smell: Boozy notes of prunes, plums, brown sugar, vanilla, molasses, and chocolate. Not as much bourbon as I had hoped for although the alcohol is very hot. Definitely thick, but not particularly appitizing. Too sweet.

Taste: The 09 did a good job of hiding the alcohol but in the 2010 the booze smacks you in the face like a freight train. Big booze, plums, prunes, brown sugar, vanilla, tobacco, oak, coffee, chocolate, lots and lots of malt. Biggest negative is that it is way too sweet, which, combined with the over-present vanilla, booze heat, and alcohol thinness, detracts greatly.

Mouthfeel: Thick, but not silk/satin smooth. The 09 was decent but the alcohol in the 10 made it feel too hot and runny.

Drinkability: Hard call here, not drinkable in the sense that you normally think, as in it goes down easy, but it is "drinkable" for a 19.5% beer. However, I am going to go with general drinkability, as "highly drinkable for a 19.5%" beer sounds similar to "particularly tasty meal as far as rusty nails go."

Overall a good brew, but not a stand-out for the style. Certainly the "biggest" but that does not mean "best" as well, at least in my book. A good exercise in over-loading each part of the brewing process with malt and then tossing it in a barrel, but nothing I would need to try again - similar to seeing the bearded lady, etc. I've had the 09 and 2010, the 10 was much hotter and the alcohol made it feel thin.

01-02-2010 04:12:28 | More by craytonic
Brew33

3.48/5  rDev -23.2%

2011 Black Tuesday opened with my Dad on Christmas Day 2011.

It pours black, yep black. A few bubbles break the surface but it's ultimately an inky black beer with no head to speak of. Just a few tan bubbles. The aroma is okay. It's good I suppose. Dark fruits, intense alcohol, not heavy on the bourbon actually. I was expecting the bourbon barrel to dominate the nose but it didn't.

The flavor is actually a dark fruit bomb. Little roast, the bourbon notes are overshadowed by the figgy, raisin like flavors. Alcohol is evident but not nearly as evident as it could be. Lots of residual sugars create a long, sweet finish. It's not bad. It's not great but it's not bad. Complexity is somewhat lacking. I'd like a little more roasted malt flavor and little more bitterness. It's just incredibly sweet and after 5 or 6 oz can be a little draining on the palate.

The abv, style, and residual sugars would suggest a lush, thick, mouthfeel.... Yeah, not so much. Incredibly thin for the style. The carbonation is appropriate for the style but the weight on the tongue is lacking.

Overall, this is a nice beer. Not one of the Bruery's better efforts but a nice enough Imperial Stout. Not worth the price tag or effort to obtain for a Midwest guy with a shallow cellar.

12-28-2011 20:57:03 | More by Brew33