Black Tuesday - The Bruery

2014: 19.7% ABV
2015: 19.9% ABV
Reviews: 625 | Hads: 3,395
4.72/5  rDev +5.4%

2009 Vintage! Served from bottle into a snifter while at Beechwood BBQ with a lot of Cali BAs after the Bruery Party. Poured pitch black with a minimal tan head. There was no lacing evident throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, caramel, dark chocolate, and slight alcohol. The flavor was of sweet malt, roasted malt, dark chocolate, alcohol, and maple syrup. It had a heavy feel on the palate with low carbonation. Overall this brew was nothing short of excellent. Had a great flavor and aroma going on here that invited you to come back for more. This vintage was still a little hot, but still great. Massive thanks to the BA who shared this one (can't remember who it was but BM me if it was you and I will give you appropriate credit). Definitely glad I got to try this one!

4.87/5  rDev +8.7%

2009 Vintage Poured into my Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary glass and shared with a friend.

This beer absolutely lives up to the hype and is worth seeking out by any means necessary. I have never had a beer at this high ABV (19.5%) and been able to detect very little of the booze. You do have to drink it slowly, because of how heavy it goes down and just for the purpose of enjoying every last sip. My friend and I both agree that this is like a fudge cake/brownie wrapped into one of the most unique and exceptional beers you can have of this style. It is without a doubt a special occasion beer and one worthy of that occasion. I think the year of age on it as well had some to do with the drinkability.

4.3/5  rDev -4%

Poured from a bottle into my Orval tulip.

This is a black as night beer with a small brown head that didn't leave any lacing. Smells of burnt char and nice chocolate. This drinks exceptionally smooth and well and awesomely drinkable for a 20% beer (this was the 2009 bottle).

I like this beer and would like to drink some more of it, but you really want to have someone around to help share it with as it will mess you up.

4.35/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours a dark black chocolate color, nice.

Smell is of brown sugar molasses, alcohol, chocolate, and roasted malts.

Taste is of alcohol, molasses, sweet caramel and toffee. Very big and complex stout, but the alcohol is very prevalent.

Medium carbonation, sweet, smooth, very boozy.

Sweet and boozy, good beer but the alcohol is really strong, but maybe that is to be expected from an 18.2% beer.

Overall a great beer, but not something you could ever drink an entire bottle of.

4.42/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This review is for the 2010 version.

After opening the bottle, it gushed slowly over the top and onto the counter top, eventually falling to the sheet vinyl flooring below. This was not expected, as the bottle's owner was away rinsing out his Hopmonk snifter, readying it for a splash of Black Tuesday to celebrate the New Year. After cleaning up the mess, a healthy pour was allocated to both the bottle's owner and compadre.

The beer sitting in front of me mirrored the night sky and seemed to reflect the chasm of the atmosphere overhead. It looked both still and alive in the same instance and seemed indifferent to the cold evening air.

In order to wash away the dinner smell of braised short ribs, I buried my nose in the glass. A wave of bourbon alcohol, warm fudge and mocha from Pete's coffee house greeted me. Another sniff revealed strong vanilla extract, spices, cinnamon and more bourbon. This is something that one could dive into and swim around for awhile, and a few laps are necessary.

A quick swig immediately made me aware of the high alcohol content and that 18.5% wasn't something that is quickly imbibed, but savored over an evening, which it was. Further sips revealed sherry, port, chocolate, vanilla, cinnamon, bourbon, a sweet brewers concoction of malt and sugar, all spice and a similar flavoring that reminded me of Melange 3, or vice versa as this was a component in that blend.

There was a cold front moving through the peninsula and a thick, wool blanket was needed to stay warm. The beer served as a secondary heater, heavy and viscous, helping to keep the cold night air at bay as it infiltrated the old single-pane windows. The minimal carbonation was appropriate for a beer of this style and seemed in tune with the Victorians that line the streets here in San Francisco, old but still relevant, almost flat but not quite yet.

I think that 2011 will be a good year. And for a year that starts out with a glass of Black Tuesday, it has already eclipsed the previous year.

4.65/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

2009 Bottle: Poured into a Duvel tulip glass and was motor oil pitch black in color with a creamy 1 finger brown head that faded slowly and left decent lacing; wasn't sure what to expect after cutting off the wax, and this beer looked mean as it poured - like the heartless souls of Wall Street dumped into a glass.

The aroma was all business and very impressive; starts off with a whiff of bourbon and then meanders into dark fruit like plum, dates and raisin, molasses, chocolate, cocoa, burnt grains, coffee grinds, brown sugar, toasted malt, vanilla, toffee and something else sweet which I can't put my finger on because the alcohol presence seems to come in waves. This defines the imperial stout aroma to me, as the bourbon barrel aging is so evident that this feels like an after dinner dink. This is super sweet and powerful in every sense, but yet somehow still alluring and pleasant to inhale. Exactly what I hoped for in the odor and I am psyched to have this bottle all to myself as this smells spectacular.

Tastes like it smells, with bourbon, dark fruit like plum, dates and raisin, molasses, chocolate, vanilla, cocoa, burnt grains, coffee grinds, brown sugar, toasted malt, toffee, smoked/burnt wood, red wine, dates, and an overall sweetness that pushes your taste buds to the limit in a good way. The alcohol heat is evident and lets you know it's there, but somehow manages to blend in nicely with the bourbon and malt sweetness which is at an extreme level and took on some of the barrel woody notes. There might be some hops in here, but they are so overwhelmed that they were not present to me; the lack of hops didn't matter much as this flavor is so incredible it wouldn't matter what was used since this is so complex and tasty - wow, just a great beer. This flavor is for anyone who likes stouts, bourbon and getting fucked up.

Mouthfeel is smooth and slick considering the ABV heat that burns as it goes down and then warms your insides in a peaceful manner; this is a chewy stout that has a heavy body and a real rich feel as the weighty ingredients make for a beer that is dynamic and robust, and gets you wasted all at the same time.

Kept this for a year and then opened it today to enjoy it's earthly pleasures; slow sipper is an understatement, I nursed this bomber. Outstanding taste and beer experience, this was delicious and while it messed me up from the high ABV, I enjoyed each and every sip of this world class brew. I highly recommend this beer and advise everyone to grab a bottle if they can.

4.37/5  rDev -2.5%

Brought to the New Years Eve tasting by Bankhead. Greatly appreciated, Henry!

A: Straight black, topped with soft brown, shimmering head that holds on to all but a collar that maintains all the way down.

S: Roasted malts, deep vanilla and woods, alcohol fusels, and some notes of saltiness and anise.

T: Big roasted malts, sweet coffee and loads of vanilla and creamy toffee. Very sweet, yet not at all cloying. The alcohol is very noticable, as expected, and manages to complement it very nicely. I didn't expect it to be so very well balanced and port-like. Strangely, I don't pick up on anise on the palate. Excellent.

M + D: Thick and rich, yet slick and smooth and easy to take back. Nice warming without being "hot" or otherwise boozy. Again, a well balanced big beer that I'm pleased to have tried

4.37/5  rDev -2.5%

I first tried this beer at DLD 2010, but was in no condition to remember enough for a review. I do remember it being very strong at the time... This week, I was lucky to try a pour of 2009 BT with a fresh palate, courtesy of Spycow (thanks Chris!). It was the first drink before a fairly large tasting, possibly not the best first choice what with the ABV, but one I pounced on.

This bottle was actually opened the previous night but was recorked in such a way that there was very good carbonation remaining. A nice audible when we pulled the wine stopper out. It poured dark black with a thin tan head (almost certainly diminished head versus drinking it the night before).

The aroma was much much better than my DLD recollection. Big bourbon notes and all sorts of delicious scents, vanilla and chocolate, rich roasted malts, some dark fruits, and very little alcohol (for a beer with >18% ABV).

Everything comes through in the flavor, this beer is definitely as good as people say. It comes across as sweet but not cloying, and the bourbon is tasteful without being overbearing. You can tell it's got a decent kick if only from the slight burn, but really you don't taste the alcohol. All of the other flavors mask it very well.

Low carbonation, probably due to the way I had it, but it worked well and I thought it was a nice creamy match for the flavors. The only real negative is the packaging, this type of beer should be sold in smaller bottles. I would never want to open it without a small crowd. Excellent.

4.12/5  rDev -8%

Bottle. 2010 version. Oh, the fabled and mythical BT!
Poured into a tulip glass a dark brown with slight reddish brown highlight on the rim. The head is very slight and forms a tan head around the collar of the glass. The aroma is very boozy with notes of molasses, vanilla, bourbon, dark chocolate, and toffee. The alcohol burns the nose as you inhale a deep breath. The taste is sweet with hints of bourbon, dark roast, chocolate, and booze. The booze somewhat overpowers this and I kind of wish it was dialed down a tad but that being said, for the abv this is pretty smooth drinking. Warms as you drink this beer. No lace but it has legs for gods sake! Medium/heavy mouthfeel. This beer is pretty sweet flavor wise. For being such a high abv beer it really is decent but given the choice on an everyday basis, I would rather have a lower abv imperial stout.

4.8/5  rDev +7.1%

Thanks Hophead101 for breaking this out during the epic tasting! The Holy Grail or RIS ?? I'd say so...

Upon popping the cap and cutting the wax off the neck there was a decent amount of carbonation gasses that cam from the large bottle. On the pour this baby comes out jet black like 10W-30 motor oil and will not let any amount of light pass through it. I was left with a dark dark chocolate colored head that was maybe a half an inch thick and slowly dissipated as I sipped away. When I give a little swirl there is a massive amount of lacing going on here , it seems to stain the glass deep red like iodine and crawls ever so slowly down the walls.

Wow, huge bouquet of black chocolate, figs, dark whiskey soaked cherries, heat alcohol, cocoa, bourbon, vanilla, oak tannins and even some Raisin Bran. There is just a load of aromas going on here that you almost have to try to believe very complex.

Man, does it get better than this ? I'm going with one of the best RIS I ever had. Surprisingly very smooth and the alcohol is hidden very well. Figs, cream, cocoa whiskey, sharp barrel notes, warming alcohol some ash and meaty tones. I cant get over how easy this drinks which is very dangerous. Very sweet molasses, and vanilla round out this robust ale.

Lets be real here, your not going to pound a 16oz glass of this but damn would I love to try. This is very slow sipping and isn't for the faint of heart so its drinkability is a little lower but still makes for a epic tasting ale.

4.92/5  rDev +9.8%

First off, many thanks go to the BA now known as IronKrausen for hooking me up with this beer. He will be mentioned again in a future review involving a 5 year vertical of another great beer. More on that another day...

I'm not sure if I've ever told this story here before, but shortly before moving out to Portland back in May of this year, I put out an "In Person" trade request for Sierra Nevada Ken & Fritz's Ale. It didn't make it to the bottle shop I frequented in North Georgia, so it was definitely a want. MADhombrewer answered my post and we set up a meeting for some pints and the swap at Don Younger's fantastic Horse Brass Pub when I got to Portland. That initial trade has led to our friendship and more than a few bottles opened at each other's houses. Black Tuesday was the last bottle opened at our most night of "bottle popping". It was shared with my wife "TulipSnifter" and his wife-to-be "WitchesBrew". Nine bombers averaging about 8%-9% ABV were opened prior to this one so I was quite surprised to find glorious well written notes and scores typed into the memo pad section of my BlackBerry the next morning when I woke up at 10am with a splitting freaking headache. Onto the review now that the back story is out of the way. Very little embellishing has been added to these "real time" notes.

A: Poured into a stemless crystal Reidel brandy snifter, Black Tuesday appears sinister enough to propel the American economy into flat out bankruptcy. The super thick viscosity of the pour glugs into my glass to reveal a bottomless gash in the earth inky blackness with deep brown heartland soil edges. The very light fizzy walnut head dissipates quickly to reveal just a glass ring of bubbles. Swirling allows the liquid to creep up the sides of the glass and descend back to the body in legs. 4.5/5

S: Holy Hammer of Thor is this thing extreme! Without a doubt this is the most alcohol-centric beer I have ever smelled! Other Barrel Aged Imperial Stouts I have had like to showcase the barrel but this is a Rockette high kick to the olfactory's! I don't think I have to worry about my nose hairs for a while because they all just got singed off. The wonderful sweet Bourbon just dances everywhere. Black pepper spice, white pepper heat, and cinnamon warmth just dance a jig that I can't get enough of. My new standard for what -BAL stout should be. 5/5

T: Another wow to add to the list of previous tasters. If the aroma wasn't wild enough, this roller coaster ride of a beer just went for a double loop. Does this taste like what I expected 18% to be? Not even close! Sweet milk chocolate, sweet dates, sweet brown sugar, sweet caramel, sweet bourbon, and sweet cinnamon candies are all along for the cork screw turn on the track. I LOVE an overly sweet boozy beer and this fits the bill to a "T". 5/5

M: My Tongue is literally numb. It's definitely on the medium-low carbonated side but it's just so luxurious and smooth those bubbles may not even be needed. Take them away all together and you have something resembling Cognac. That is not a problem in my book. Despite the super-hero sized dessert sweetness in the taste, this actually finishes a little cleaner than I expected. 4.5/5

D: The next bottle of Black Tuesday I get is going to be opened by me and me alone! Seriously though, it's a beer that I could drink by myself should I really want to but would best be shared with others so its magnificence can be talked about. Saying "wow that shit is good" doesn't quite have the same impact when tucked away in a man-cave by one's self. Get a few other people to share a bottle with or they won't believe your fabled stories of Black Tuesday! 5/5

I actually looked into airplane tickets to attend the brewery release this year. At the time I thought it may not be worth it after adding up all the costs. Hopefully Patrick Rue can make a few more bottles of this for next year and maintain this level of quality because I will be trying like crazy to get tickets for the 2011 party. If I manage to do so, I don't expect to be the only new face there. This never was a secret to faithful local patrons of The Bruery and now I'm very much in the know as well. I hope to see everybody there next year!

3.52/5  rDev -21.4%

Served in a snifter.

Big thanks to VDubb86 for sharing his winnings with me!

And the elusive Black Tuesday sits in my glass. Nice. it pours a straight obsidian topped by a half-finger of light ecru foam. The nose comprises rich bourbon, chocolate syrup, roasted malts, molasses, and oak. Smells like the hype might ring true. The taste, though, ensures that it does not. The bourbon is far too hot, the chocolate is just a step too sweet, and these combined with a hefty dose of roasted malts produce an unnerving prickle on the tongue. It's clear there was a damn good idea in place for this beer, but it doesn't seem as though it was carried out very well. Perhaps some age would have done it some good, but I'm not sure I'll find that out. As it stands, the flavors are just too all over the place to work properly. The body is a hefty-ish medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a semi-chewy feel. Overall, though disappointing, I was very glad to have been able to try this brew. I can see why many would love it, but it's just not working for me.

4.3/5  rDev -4%

Served in a snifter

Thanks to hayesez for this beer from the Beer Name Puzzle LIF!!!

This beer pours a decently black brown with a little bit of beige head up front. This beer is nice and bourbon and fruity esters on the nose. The oak flavor mixed with caramel and brown sugar work really well with this. I'm truly enjoying this beer, I wish I had the willpower to have aged this at least a year because the high ABV is still running a little hot. I still have no problem enjoying this beer and drinking it with my many friends.

4.37/5  rDev -2.5%

750mL bottle poured into a snifter. Huge thanks to cjacobsen for the generosity in sharing!

(A)- Pours fairly thick and pitch black. Produced a relatively low tan head but with this high a ABV, I was surprised there even was a head.

(S)- Rich as can be. Plenty of roasted components with lots of licorice and raisin. Some cocoa and molasses too. A bit of boozy heat but not as bad as I was expecting.

(T)- Very similar to the smell, only much much more restrained. Very very sweet with some dark fruits. Plenty of raisins in there. This got alot better once it warmed up some more; some nice cocoa and smooth caramel came through.

(M)- A good carbonation level and a decent balance. Very very sweet; almost borderline sugary. Would have liked to see more of the roasted components from the smell come through in the taste. This is seriously sweet. Superb ABV integration though for a massive 18.2%. This is smoother and easier on the palate than some 10-13% beers I can think of.

(D)- A sipper if there ever was one, however a tasty one at that. Extremely rich and sweet, but bringing it to a warmer temperature helped that out a bit. Glad to have finally tried this, but it is not worth giving your firstborn child for. It is very good mind you, but not THAT good to require you trading away your prized beers from your cellar to acquire.

4.32/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours a deep, opaque black. Stone colored head that diminishes to a few bubbles around the edge of the glass.

Smells of heavy licorice. Some raisin. It hits you very hard right up front. A lot going on and very rich and heavy, a bit of a roasted scent. Bitter dark chocolate, cocoa smell.

Tastes sweet. A lot of dark fruit, blackberries, licorice. A lingering hazelnut aftertaste in there at the end. The alcohol is extremely masked which is an incredible surprise. As it warms, caramel and chocolate notes seem to seep through and become more prevalent.

Surprisingly smooth for the heftiness of the brew and the onslaught of smell and flavor. The carbonation has slight bite to it, but its not too bad and balanced by the malt load.

The drinkability is low due to the fact that you can't have very many of these. It's so rich and heavy in alcohol. It's quite the treat but a doozy.

4.1/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A big thanks to Dreadnaught33 for procuring this bottle from a friend and allowing some of us to try it! I got a generous 4-5 oz. pour off the bat into a Bruery snifter.

A: Pours very black fluid (this beer isn't unbelievably black, it's just mostly black) with slight mahogany brown highlights around the edges. A light tan cap appears briefly but dissipates quickly to a thin ring. Handsome presentation indeed!

S: The smell is very powerful and forced me to bellow in delight as I took a whiff! Big bourbon notes coupled with vanilla and oak woodiness support a malt aroma of dark caramel and chocolate. I am getting very little, if any, roastiness from this. It is mostly a sweeter style. There is a slight unexpected tinge of teriyaki as we discussed at the table.

T: Molasses, Grade C maple syrup, chocolate malts all come to mind in this big flavored beer. The bourbon is present but not intrusive. Vanilla and Oak notes compliment the flavor nicely. Again, no roastiness available which is somewhat disappointing to me. The teriyaki is also somewhat of a distraction. Medium alcohol heat is present in the finish.

M: Full bodied beer representative of the style with a slightly slick mouthfeel. It is probably very dextrinous. Medium sweet finish.

D: For most part the beer is fairly drinkable at 18+% ABV. Pleasant flavors abound however, the beer is fairly sweet, not quite cloying, but getting there. The alcohol in the finish is also somewhat of a turn off.

This is a great beer, but I think it is over-hyped. It would probably be in my top-10 of stouts, but not top 5.

4.82/5  rDev +7.6%

I was extremely fortunate to have been given this bottle as a gift from Thor, the beer manager at Brasserie Beck at dinner last night. A really nice review will be coming after this Black Tuesday review for Brasserie Beck as I've had many good experiences there and is worth a try if in DC.

This beer is my 100th review, as I tried to plan it out that way since this is a beer that I've really really wanted to try since I got a taste (well maybe 4-5 tastes) of it at GABF 2010. It's really a great beer, though age will help the heat on this one.

A: Pours like motor oil super dark brown to black with a khaki head and some lacing. Was expecting complete darkness but it still looks great.

S: Awesomely complex, wow! Bourbon, definite sweet/heat of alcohol, lots of chocolate, vanilla, oak, sugary malt, leather, and more. AWESOME! I could not get my nose out of the glass. Such a present and huge aroma.

T: Taste does not disappoint. The smell and more! The other flavors I got besides the vanilla, bourbon, oak, malt etc. from the smell is an added salty teriyaki (that I get in Dark Lord as well) with other additions of candied dark fruits, chocolate milk, hot chocolate cake, a healthy does of molasses, coffee and some kinds of spicy hot sauce-ish notes (I like that a lot!). I love how ever next sip you get something different, almost like if you think of a different flavor to concentrate on you'll get that next time you sip. What an awesome flavor. Lives up to the hype for me.

M: Really viscous and coating, just what you'd want, although the alcohol heat prevents me from giving this a five. It needs some time to cool down and this will be perfect because I just love the carbonation level and the thickness of it now!

D: What a tasty brew. With time this will probably be a five for me also, if only I can get someone to trade me one of these! I've tried trading lots of stuff for this on here already and honestly I'm glad I never went all out to get one, as it is great great beer but not one to give all you have for. I'm so fortunate that I could get hooked up with this last night, it's a great brew! I may be planning to go to the release next year if I can!

4.7/5  rDev +4.9%

From 12/12/10 notes. Got to try this at a local tasting thanks to drabmuh. Big thanks Matt, this was my biggest want!

a - Pours a jet black color with two to three inches of fluffy tan head that stays throughout drinking and light carbonation evident. Leaves a tiny bit of lacing on the glass, looks perfect.

s - Smells of bourbon, oak, chocolate, roasted malts, dark fruit, and vanilla. Also a little sweet brown sugar or molasses. Very enjoyable; it's complex and balanced.

t - Tastes of bourbon, oak, chocolate, roasted malts, vanilla, and molasses. Also a little bit of raisin or dark fruit. Taste is a bit hot but still great to me, as I love bourbon.

m - Medium to full body and low carbonation. The body is really smooth and creamy and the ABV is very well hidden. It I didn't know this was 18-19% ABV, I would have guessed it was 9%. Love the mouthfeel.

d - Overall I thought this was an amazing beer; one of the best barrel aged stouts I've ever had. While this beer is super hyped and I have been disappointed with some of their hyped beers in the past, this one lived up to the hype. I think it looks and smells great, and has a wonderful mouthfeel, but is a tiny bit hot. I think in 6-12 months this could be even better, if the heat dies down a tiny bit. Either way, if you like bourbon barrel aged stouts you'll still love this one now. Would love to get another bottle of this.

4.87/5  rDev +8.7%

Captured in a recent trade, big thank you here.

A-Death black as it poured out with a very heavy body to it, very thick looking. I gave it a good hard pour to see if a head would develop at all, minimal head did develop and it disappeared quickly leaveing a ring around the edge of the glass.

S-Very different than any other BB aged stout i have had before, the bourbon was very mild with a heavy chocolate cake sweetness. Overall i am very impressed how this does not smell like alcohol at all at 18.2%

T-Should be a 6 for just how much flavor this has!! I have NEVER had a beer stick to my tongue and mouth like this did, i could taste it for what seemed like 15 minutes in my mouth (this grossed out the wife when she tried) after a small sip. The best part here is it still was very balanced with a TON of different flavors destroying my tastebuds.

M-THICK and RICH, coates your mouth like no other beer can or could!!!

D-For 18.2% i would say pretty damn good.

Overall this beer has always had a ton of hype and i can tell you that it has exceeded all of my expectations, this probably was one of the most epic beer moments for me. I can say one thing for sure and that is "I will be at the next release of this beer".

4.2/5  rDev -6.3%

Shared a bottle with some fellow BAs.

Pitch black pour with a dark tan head poured into a chalice. Sticks all over the glass I swirl it around. Deep roasty, fudgy, chocolate, and sherry aroma. Some molasses and burnt sugar there as well. Flavor follows the nose. Dark cocoa bar with a sweet bourbony/brown sugar backbone. Roast takes a back seat to the sweet stout flavors. Great thick body, sticks around long after the beer is gone. Unbeleivably drinkable - the 19.5% ABV is incredibly well hidden (compared to other high ABV stouts / strong ales that I have had). Totally lived up to the hype, very happy I got to try this.

3.82/5  rDev -14.7%

2010 vintage. Kindly trucked up by Official Bruery Mule, womencantsail. Thanks Andrew.

A: Pours a pitch, opaque black. One finger of dark mocha head. It retains poorly, but it does leave curtains during sips.

S: Sherry jumps out at me immediately. This is well oxidized, but in a good way. Molasses, brown sugar. Bourbon, chocolate, vanilla, oak are milder. There is noticeable booze in the nose.

T: A strong, almost treacly sherry flavor to it; it reminds me of the strong raisin character of DFH World Wide Stout. But this is much less harsh. Other sweet flavors of molasses, brown sugar, caramel, and dark fruits jump out at me. Plenty of chocolate and vanilla. The finish is more bourbon than oak, and it lingers deliciously into the aftertaste. Not particularly complex as far as barrel-aged imperial stouts go, but it's thick, heavy, dessert-like, and appreciable by laymen. Definitely good virtues to have.

M: It is closer to medium-bodied this year vs. last year; it seems to be drier on the whole. That seems to make it feel a lot hotter than the '09, too. But it's restrained for something that's estimated to be almost 20%.

D: My second time having this. I like it enough, but I'm not a big fan. It's overall too sweet and too 'big', and my palate is too overwhelmed to pick out the nuances. Still, $30 is a decent price point for one or two bottles, because the beer goes over very well with my family. It makes the centerpiece of a nice tasting; beer nerd and layman alike enjoy it. The primary value of this beer (to me) is not in drinking it alone or even trading it, but in using it to convert beer neophytes. The Bruery fills that niche very well.

4.49/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours a very dark brown, looks black in the glass and is completley opaque and very thick, although on the pour it was not black. Generates an inch or so of beige head, although it's not super thick and keeps only a thin lace without much stick.

Smell is incredibly rich, with dark, fudgy chocolate, roasted malt, black currant and other dark fruits, and lots of enticing bourbon character. It's got lots of vanilla and has a leathery quality to it as well. I do get some booze but I'm neither surprised nor bothered by that given the strength of this beer. So bold and rich, with layers of complexity; really fantastic.

Taste is pretty much every bit as complex and enjoyable but in this case the alcohol heat is just slightly bothersome. Leaves a bit of a burn in the back of the throat, but this still tastes exceptional. It's rich and chocolaty, dark chocolate and fudge, with cocoa and some coffee, roasted malt and molasses. The bourbon is nice and gives some vanilla and oaky flavor. As mentioned previously it's pretty boozy and there is some heat left in the finish. Really tasty stuff.

Mouthfeel is a very creamy full body, super rich and dense, pretty smooth as well except for the burn in the finish. Soft carbonation allows you to swirl it in the mouth and take it all in.

I had this once last year and was lucky enough to score a bottle again this year, and it really is an exceptional beer. Definitely one that lives up to the hype. A great beer to enjoy slowly and with company on a cool evening.

4.9/5  rDev +9.4%

pnk RED thanks for the taste!!!!

appearance 5.0- This beer looks like whats a stout should look like. very dark rich colors with a microscopic tan colored head. almost looks like liquid luxury chocolate if u could imagine!

smell 5.0- exceptional smell from the glass. has a very unique smell that could not be match be any other beer in the world. strong smells of a special type of chocolate and almost a light smell of a chocolate cherry liqour with the barrel smell infused into it. so much more smells i cannot really explain just pure heaven.

taste 5.0- the taste and the abv of 18% can be instantly taste in the mouth. it flows ever so freely with almost of a burst of a million flavors in your mouth. after taking a gulp u can feel sensations still tingling through out your mouth. just overall great.

mouthfeel 5.0- like i kinda touched on in the last catagory very orgasmic in your mouth the feel is just unreal in how it feels in your mouth. cant put it in words for such a great tasting beverage

drinkability 4.5- i would only like to say that i didnt give it a 5.0 because of how strong the the abv is for a beer. so i dont want people to think this is a negitive 4.5..its just my thoughts...whould def have to agree with my best man that this is by far the best stout i have ever have and i would take alot for one to beat it

4.9/5  rDev +9.4%

Luckily I have family close enough to the Bruery to where they are willing enough to ship this to me! Thanks!

It pours a deep seducing black, with a carmel head that dissipates gracefully. Once you pop the wax cap off, the enormous aromas fill the room, at times too strong for the weak of nose. Bringing your face closer to the glass, your nostrils are filled with the thick aromas of chocolate, coffee, caramel and vanilla. The bourbon barrel aging makes it's appearance here, but it's not until the first sip that you can tell how long it has been sitting there. The Bourbon is strong, but smooth. At 18.2% the alcohol is definitely present, but it glides across your palate effortlessly. The sweetness is incomparable. Like a rich brownie, I find myself struggling to lift it to my lips, but the notion of how good it tastes keeps me trucking through. I'm mortified to see how this will age. My favorite stout by far!

4.7/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2010 Release

A: Dark, black syrup with thin skin of mocha on the surface. Great legs when swirled. Appears very thick.

A: Cocoa, bourbon, dark fruits, dark brown sugar, slight molasses. Very inviting.

T: Yep, as it smelled. Vanilla, chocolate, roasted malt, bourbon and dark fruits. Alcohol surprisingly not really noticeable. Damn... this is good.

M: One of the richest beers I've experienced. Heavy viscosity that coats the tongue. Light carbonation leads to smooth feel. Amazingly not boozy given high ABV.

D: Thick, delicious and smooth, however a couple of half pours is about all one needs to completely enjoy this amazing beverage. This is definitely one to be shared with friends.

Black Tuesday from The Bruery