2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Black Tuesday - The Bruery

2010: 18.2% ABV
2011: 18.3% ABV
2012: 19.2% ABV
2013: 18.9% ABV

(Beer added by: OlieIPA on 07-18-2009)
Ratings: 2,123 | Reviews: 543 | Show All Ratings:
Mooch273

4.72/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2010 Release

A: Dark, black syrup with thin skin of mocha on the surface. Great legs when swirled. Appears very thick.

A: Cocoa, bourbon, dark fruits, dark brown sugar, slight molasses. Very inviting.

T: Yep, as it smelled. Vanilla, chocolate, roasted malt, bourbon and dark fruits. Alcohol surprisingly not really noticeable. Damn... this is good.

M: One of the richest beers I've experienced. Heavy viscosity that coats the tongue. Light carbonation leads to smooth feel. Amazingly not boozy given high ABV.

D: Thick, delicious and smooth, however a couple of half pours is about all one needs to completely enjoy this amazing beverage. This is definitely one to be shared with friends.

11-09-2010 04:52:11 | More by Mooch273
porkinator

4.95/5  rDev +9.3%

A - Beautiful! Dark, inviting, asking you to drink it. Nice head, fantastic look!
S - Tasty. Like walking into your favorite pizza shop, and falling in love again and again (however 2010 seems a bit stronger). Not overpowering to not want to try.
T - Delcious. Very well hidden, but at the same timestrong alcohol flavor.
M -Thick. Wants to linger. While sipping, you want it to last. Definitely not hot.
D - Huge. Couldn't even imagine drinking an entire bottle, but a glass with a few friends and some light cheese, it's very easy.

10-28-2010 07:25:44 | More by porkinator
SpdKilz

4.6/5  rDev +1.5%

Ahh Black Tuesday, we finally meet. And under such wonderful circumstances! I have heard about your lusciousness, dare I say delectableness countless times on the forum and from word of mouth. While I understand you have "gotten around" since last year, this is of no matter to me. Alas, it was finally my time to try you...

Appearance - Poured by an absolutely stand up cheery fellow dressed in 1920's garb behind the counter at the BT release party, into my brand new Bruery Tulip. The color is an utter midnight black, with no light even daring to try and penetrate through such an opaque mass. Just a hint of dark mocha colored head is given in this overly generous pour. Despite not much head, the glass was thoroughly coated with thin lacing once I was done with it.

Smell - I stood there next to fellow BA's, and was entranced by the aroma. Unbelievable sweetness in the nose with cocoa, roasted malt, bourbon, slight vanilla, and some dark fruits. I swirled the beer in my glass numerous times in order to take in my first BT experience.

Taste - As I raise my quivering glass up to my mouth to take my first sip, everything suddenly slows down. My eyes dart around the room, looking at the other BA's to see if they too were experiencing this phenomenon; it appears they were not. I feel like I am immersed in a world that is still. To my left a BA is frozen in time, about to open a Black Ops 08. To my right there is an individual looking at the list of beers he is wanting to try. And straight ahead is a girl that appears to be the person in Irishgurl4's avitar but we all know that said account is fake and is in reality a 50 year old male. Befuddled, I continue with my first sip, savoring this great tick...err beer. And then "poof", the room around me once again comes back to life, as if someone flipped a switch. The initial taste yields a nice bourbon flavor, though nothing that would make you wince. The alcohol is masked surprisingly well, behind flavors quiet similar to the nose. Bourbon, vanilla, cocoa, and some plum. Quite sweet, but not cloying. A beer that honestly lives up to at least "some" of the hype. Very very delicious.

Mouthfeel - All I can say is that I had this BT, then after did a bottle share with a Short's 2009 Anniversary Wheat Wine which by itself has a relatively heavy feel. It felt like water after having the BT. Great viscosity, low carbonation (duh), and a definite dry finish.

Drinkability - The few ounces I had dissipated relatively fast given the alcohol content. I did not taste alcohol in the beer, though I did feel its warming effects. A very enjoyable beer and I am glad I was able to make my way with it. I will look for you again soon, my Black Tuesday gal.

10-28-2010 03:05:23 | More by SpdKilz
Sumdeus

4.69/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Standard 750mL Bruery bottle, poured into a snifter glass. 2013 bottle.

A: Black. Very little head or apparent carbonation. Almost no lacing. Flows oily.

S: Some roasty-ness, bitter fruits and booze. Sweet too.

T: Similar to the smell. Big boozy beer with lots of biter fruits. Not as much coffee/caramel/bourbon as expecting, but its not lacking. Very excellent. Doesnt taste like 19% either, thats not to say you cant taste the alcohol but it works well, it tastes strong, it works well but doesnt taste like im drinking 19%.

M: Oily and coating. A great thick feel, it coats the mouth.

O: I have had this beer sitting in a beverage cooler for about 5 months, anticipating opening it. I finally opened it, it wasnt what I expected (I was expecting more bourbon), but it was amazing in what it was.

04-18-2014 05:43:46 | More by Sumdeus
rlee1390

Indiana

4.24/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A-Black in the glass one finger off white head.

S-Bourbon, lots of it. Some roasted malt, chocolate and slight coffee.

T-Lots of bourbon. Some roasted malt, slight chocolate. The high level of bourbon when fresh dominates any other flavors.

M-Medium to heavy in body, not much carbonation.

O-Just too much bourbon, to alcoholic when fresh. It needs to sit and balance out.

04-11-2014 18:56:38 | More by rlee1390
deltatauhobbit

Maine

4.43/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks for mlaroche for this bottle.

Review #1000!

Vintage 2010

Pours a wicked dark black color, no light getting through this, not even at the edges, smallish head that fades very quickly and doesn't leave any lacing on the glass.

Huge notes of dark fruit, especially fig and raisin, even has almost a chocolate sherry aroma, subtle hints of wood, bourbon is quite prevalent on the nose as well.

Taste starts out with a bourbon burn, even after almost 4 years of aging this still packs a punch although it's not nearly as bad as when I first tried it a few years ago, quite sticky and sweet although the sugary aspects have also mellowed out and allowed the dark fruit to have a large presence, carbonation is low but more than adequate for this style and is very soft on the mouth, finishes with a very sticky feeling.

To be honest, I didn't care for it the first time. It was way too sugary sweet and burned too much as well. It's still very strong in both of those arenas but have considerably mellowed out and allowed other flavors to come through. Overall, a good choice for my 1000th review as it demonstrates a good usage of cellaring. I think I'll sit on my 2011 bottle until I hit 1100 reviews (at my current pace, it might be awhile).

03-30-2014 01:01:59 | More by deltatauhobbit
ThrewRedButter

4.36/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A - As advertised: Black as night

S - Bourbon front and center. Then oak, dark fruits, almost like a chocolate-covered cherry.

T - Bourbon dominates with dark fruits. A really sweet beer, but even after you get past the warming sensation that engulfs your chest, it actually is pretty damn smooth for being over 18% abv.

M - Thick with decent carbonation

O - High expectations weren't quite met, but this is still a good barrel-aged stout. You really need to be a fan of sweet beers to like this one. Served at room temperature this is a bourbon-soaked dark fruit stout with some balls. Very good, but in my opinion (and I can't stress enough: MY OPINION) it didn't live up to it's reputation.

03-29-2014 02:41:16 | More by ThrewRedButter
spinrsx

Ontario (Canada)

4.36/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

thanks to mtomlins for this - 2013 edition

Appearance - Dark brown colour with a small size frothy head. There is a low amount of carbonation showing and there is some faint lacing. The head lasted for around 3-4 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Malts, chocolate, grains, coffee, wood, booze

Taste & Mouth - There is a below average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts, chocolate, and faint coffee. There is also quite a bit of booze and some vanilla and wood.

Overall - One of the booziest beers I have ever had.. but this is not a bad thing. I was expecting this to be cloyingly sweet, but instead it still manages to remain quite drinkable especially given the ABV - not that sweet at all either. Definitely a good bottle to share and worth seeking out.

03-25-2014 16:56:58 | More by spinrsx
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

4.25/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle: Poured a clear light dark black color ale with a nice dark brown foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of rich thick black chocolate notes with light molasses and some roasted malt is quite sublime. Taste is an incredible mix of thick black chocolate with some roasted malt and some light molasses. Body is quite full with good carbonation and surprisingly no alcohol is easily apparent. Light oak and vanilla notes can also be detected. I was expecting somewhat of a messy overly sweet beers bit this is actually very smooth with plenty of complexity.

03-24-2014 23:16:30 | More by Phyl21ca
mtomlins

Ontario (Canada)

4.56/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass and shared with friends
2013 vintage poured 3/2014

Pours a deep dark brown, but still see through which surprised me; short ephemeral brown head. Big nose of chocolate, big dark roasted malts, massive bourbon and vanilla and some hot alcohol. The taste is so smooth and balanced especially for such a big beer, chocolate, vanilla, bourbon, roasted malt. The body is big but doesn’t reflect the 19.5% ABV with low carbonation for a silky smooth stout. Overall and incredible balanced and deep stout, wow!

03-21-2014 15:21:56 | More by mtomlins
mlhyatt

Georgia

4.8/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Poured into a tulip glass

To preface i was cery skeptical of this beer tasting like straight up liquor because of the alcohol content.

A- jet black with very very little brown head that turns into nothing very very quickly. Man this looks good. Getting lost in its appearance.

S- bourbon. Sweet caramel and vanilla. The chocolate comes through at the end and sits in the nose for a good while. The smell is very very sweet almost like candied soy sauce. Sounds weird but it's very good.

T- chocolate with hints of coffee. The coffee is very faint but the chocolate leaves a bitterness like dark chocolate does on the tongue. Then te bourbon comes in and swirls around the mouth. The booze is hot but it blends so well with the malt and chocolate. The sweetness from the bourbon doesn't overwhelm the flavors at all. This tastes amazing. Can't find anything wrong with the taste.

M- incredibly smooth for a 19% beer. Not much bite from the carbonation either. Can't believe how smooth it is.

O- a very delicious beer that really captures the style. Gotta drink it slow though. Very hard to find something wrong with this beer. If there was anything it would be the heat from the alcohol. But even that is done so well for a beer that is almost 20%. To me this beats out BCS because the sweetness from the bourbon blends way better in this beer. Glad i have another bottle.

03-16-2014 03:36:00 | More by mlhyatt
mverity

3.73/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2013 bottle shared by some great people after Hunahpu's Day 2014. Great deep black with some tan head, decent legs, not much for lacing. Hot hot hot. Even with a year on this, the bourbon heat is alive and well. Aroma is boozey up front, vanilla, toffee, and molasses behind that bourbon heat. Taste is also very boozey. I get the vanilla, some faint dark fruit (raisin or something of the like), some good oakiness. Slightly thin in the mouthfeel, but I enjoy the low carbonation and fairly thick body.

03-10-2014 20:38:47 | More by mverity
themind

4.95/5  rDev +9.3%

This is an outstanding BB beer that lived up to the hype. Black as motor oil this monster comes in at 19.2%. The well hidden ABV sneaks up on you and before you realize it the bottle you shared with a few friends is empty and your stubling about. I cant say enough about this beer as it is one of the best beers in the style I have ever had. If you like BB stouts this is a no brainer with a fantastic stout backbone coupled with the barrel aging makes this treat Legendary.

Bottom Line: Legendary brew!

03-10-2014 12:10:06 | More by themind
drmcleod10

Missouri

4.84/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Shared this on Christmas Eve and it was fitting… it fell on a Tuesday night
Definitely excited for this one and has been on my bucket list

A - Dark as night with a tan finger head

S - Smell comes through as roast, vanilla, oak, chocolate, and bourbon as this barrel really comes through. You would expect this out of the high ABV

T - Definitely the best part of this beer as the bourbon really was not too powerful. The character of the barrels balanced extremely well with the vanilla, chocolate and roast flavors. This is the best 18+% beer I have had

M - Medium bodied for sure with low to minimal carbonation which resounds perfectly with this beer

O - Definitely one of my favorite stouts. I would not put this at the top, but it is hard to improve on this beer. Would love to try the variants some day

03-06-2014 23:05:22 | More by drmcleod10
Sound_Explorer

Washington

4.28/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I'm not a huge Stout fan and really not a bourbon barrel fan but I try to be fair to the tastes and beers I try, like this one.

Smells big and intense yet tasty even to me. Rather intense/big taste but still felt smooth to me over all. The taste, to me, didn't seem to linger on the tongue so long that I couldn't taste anything else, which was a nice difference to me at least. This baby is big and can slap you in the face at 18-19% but if you're a fan of stouts and bourbon barrel aging, definately get this.

02-28-2014 18:45:20 | More by Sound_Explorer
MDDMD

4.48/5  rDev -1.1%

A-dark brown black color with a minimal tan head and no lacing

S-dark chocolate, coffee, bourbon, molasses, oak, little vanilla

T-dark roasted malt, coffee, dark chocolate, little dark fruit, oak, little vanilla, bourbon

F-medium body with little carbonation, smooth and a little boozy, but less than one would expect with the ABV

O-enjoyable stout meant for sharing with friends, would drink again

02-25-2014 02:35:24 | More by MDDMD
anteater

Oregon

4.45/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

2011 Black Tuesday poured into an Orval glass

A: Black, can't see through it when I hold it up to a light. Two random litte patches of light tan bubbles linger on the surface, other than that there are little signs of carbonation.

S: Booze and chocolate mostly with bourbon and oak being second. I could smell this one the second the seal from the cap broke.

T: Lots of boozey flavor but no burn! Its intense but well balanced out by the chocolate, more of a milky sweeter chocolate, and bourbon. Hints of vanilla and maybe a bit of caramel in the background.

M: Very very thick, maybe the thickest beer I've had up to this point. Its pretty amazing!

O: Seems like this beer is a huge hit or huge miss for a lot of people and I have to say it was a huge hit for me. Its not as sweet as I expected and the alcohol is actually far less detectable than I had anticipated even though it plays a pretty big role in both aroma and flavor. Really nice beer.

02-07-2014 01:05:49 | More by anteater
BeerEngineer

4.86/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

General: So I got this at a white elephant gift exchange with our company. Everyone passed it up because they are all liquor drinkers so I was thrilled to pick it up! Poured this into a small tulip for tasting purposes. I live near The Bruery, about 15 minutes away or so and I have a big problem with their beers. They are going bigger and stronger only. There is no intricate 5% ABV beer in the tasting room, only beers above 10% ABV. That's not my style but I'm going review this fairly and not allow my prejudice to get into it.

Appearance: Black as it gets, this is really dark and has a slightly tan head that diminishes quickly.

Aroma: A slight chocolate hint with a bourbon aroma. there is also a big alcoholic aroma to this. It's intricate though at least, there are undertones of caramel and maybe some sort of rock fruit like a prune or something.

Mouthfeel: This is thick, it is almost like it's got cream in it. It's kind of crazy how much booze in this, I can feel a burn the entire way down to the stomach.

Taste: Booze booze booze. What little flavor of bourbon and chocolate is there is really overpowered by booze but that's what this was intended to be so OK. I'm not a big fan of this beer but for someone who wants a big strong beer, this is it.

Overall: Again it's a Bruery beer. I'm not impressed with the flavors that they developed, I'm more impressed that they created a beer that was 18.9% ABV. This isn't my style but I'm not going to give it poor marks because of that. It is what it is, it's a super strong beer that has a slight chocolate flavor with a hint of bourbon.

02-01-2014 05:02:23 | More by BeerEngineer
gcamparone

Rhode Island

4.33/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 25 oz bottle into a Bruery snifter glass. Acquired in a trade from vitese, thanks buddy! One of my biggest ISOs.

A- Upon the pour a chocolate brown, translucent stream enters the glass, exhibiting a deep brown body with a 1 finger light mocha colored head that reduces slowly to leave a brown ring of foam. Little lacing.

S- Upfront come big aromas of bourbon, vanilla, maple, and molasses. Upon further evaluation, he background reveals aromas of caramel, toffee, and coffee. I get some boozy aromas every so often, but any 19% beer that doesn't smell like booze is not 19% alcohol.

T- Sweet milk chocolate and caramel upfront, next up next is coffee and a roastyness. Super sweet.. a syrupy fudgyness that coats the tongue. The finish is somewhat roasty, charred. Boozy but not too boozy.

M- Rich, thick, low carbonation. The definition of a sipper.

I was really looking forward to Black Tuesday, and it did deliver. It is on the sweet side, so if you don't prefer sweet stouts this probably isn't for you. I was expecting something more dry like BCBS, but nonetheless the flavor profile worked for what it is. Share this one or split it over a few nights, it's a meal!

02-01-2014 03:03:07 | More by gcamparone
Axnjxn

4.23/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

9/18/13 bottling date. into a tulip

pours a pitch black with a mild beige head. smell is big on ABV and malts..slight dark chocolate. the taste is very big on ABV and malty....big on the bourbon....huge body...sipper...mild carbonation.

overall very good..lovely

01-26-2014 05:20:52 | More by Axnjxn
Rifugium

3.79/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I'm pretty sure this was a 2012 bottle, consumed Jan. '14. Dark brown-black pour, no surprise there, topped with a thin brown head that receded to a ringlet; minimal lacing. Aroma was fairly sweet, notes of dark chocolate and vanilla, pretty hot with bourbony booze, licorice, brown sugar, some dark fruits. But the booze was the dominant factor. Fairly sweet up front in the taste (not quite Dark Lord sweet, perhaps), lots of booze, bourbon-soaked oak, bitter dark chocolate, licorice, tobacco, dark fruits, more subtle vanilla, the oak and herbal hops came out a bit more in the finish, and even more so as it warmed. While this was definitely pretty hot and boozy, it still drank fairly well, considering the extremely high ABV. Body was on the fuller side of medium--might as well just call it full--with a slick and somewhat unctuous mouthfeel. A decent brew overall, but doesn't really live up to the hype (welcome to the Bruery). I can get a World Wide Stout at my local shop and experience pretty much the same thing this beer offers (or better), in a better package (aka smaller bottle) and for a better price.

01-26-2014 01:03:33 | More by Rifugium
PicoPapa

Connecticut

4.58/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to Moyman for this beer.

750mL bottle. Pours a pitch black viscous color with a 1/2 inch of brown head. Minimal lacing. The aroma is a whole lot of booze with some nice vanilla, oak, raisins, dark chocolate, black coffee and earth. The taste is boozey with a great chocolate presence that somehow isn't overpowered by the bourbon. Vanilla hints with some caramel as well. Chocolate and alcohol burn towards the end. More warming alcohol at the finish with dark chocolate. Almost tastes like boozey Hershey's Syrup. Heavy, chewy mouthfeel. I'm surprised that the taste is so complex given the very high Abv. Its not just a boozey mess. Probably one of, if not the best, Barrel Aged Imperial Stouts I have had. Amazing beer.

01-23-2014 03:03:45 | More by PicoPapa
ChrisChagnon

Connecticut

4.53/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured out of a 750ML bottle into a tulip

This poured jet black, with little to no head at all. Expected with that ABV.

The smell is really sweet- chocolate and intense bourbon smell is picked up instantly

Taste- strong alcohol heat right away, totally understandable though. Really hot, but the chocolate sweetens it up so much. Bourbon and oak in the finish. A lot going on in this beer that is hard to pick up the first time drinking it.

Mouth- Really hot and boozy taste and just coats the mouth. Warm and a little carbonation. This is def a sipper

Overall- This beer was great and I would love to have the chance to try it again with some age on it to see how it ages.

01-22-2014 13:47:05 | More by ChrisChagnon
trojanshawn

4.78/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Black Tuesday has to be one of my favorite beers. This is the beer I use to judge other bourbon aged stouts against, and I haven't found many that stack up to this one. If you're a fan of strong, bourbon aged stouts, then Black Tuesday has to be on your bucket list.

01-15-2014 20:42:05 | More by trojanshawn
JMScowcroft

Vermont

4.81/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

The Bruery - Black Tuesday, poured into a Lawson's tulip.

Look - Pours a thin viscosity brown and settles black with minimal head. Not much lacing.

Smell - Chocolate malts and bourbon. Smells delish.

Taste - Rich chocolate followed by a nice bourbon warmth. Sweet oak vanilla finish.

Mouthfeel - Full bodied with medium carbonation. Boozy and warm but yummy. Definitely a sipper.

Overall - Great brew, pretty much the epitome of the style.

01-11-2014 19:34:11 | More by JMScowcroft