Black Tuesday - The Bruery

2014: 19.7% ABV
2015: 19.9% ABV
Reviews: 625 | Hads: 3,395
4.05/5  rDev -9.6%

Chocolate, coffee, bourbon, booziness. More bourbon than I care for, more chocolate than I require, and the coffee was OK. Black, small head, a ring of lace. Lots of coconut flavour, not unpleasant. All of the above are liked more by others. Some vanilla, it is very rich and smooth, I am highly preferential to Kate TG and even other imperial stouts in the ratings race.Thanks Tom for hooking me up with a 2010.

4.66/5  rDev +4%

Bottle pour at the Bruery Reserve Society initiation party at The Phoenix Club in Anaheim, CA.

2011 vintage.

Pours an opaque super dark brown with a tan head that settles to an oily film on top of the beer. No lacing on this one. Smell is of dark roasted malt, vanilla, wood, and bourbon aromas. Taste is amazing and is of dark roasted malt, dark fruits, vanilla, wood, and bourbon. This beer has a light level of carbonation with a medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is an exceptional stout with a fantastic barrel aged presence.

4.8/5  rDev +7.1%

I'm reluctant to review since I'm throwing in an opinion consistent with those before me! In summary, an all around winner destined for stardom!

I buy into the hype of the "rare," "hard to get" "big alcohol," "one of a kind" stuff as much as the next person. Thus, after driving Steff crazy with e-mails, I'm sure, (and in which she basically said if you want to try it..come down and try it! lol...) I drove down today. Candidly, I've been disappointed, a bit, in some of these hyped, huge alcoholic stouts and "stout type" brews. I am a big fan of "the extreme." I love the huge hops and I love the big, bold stouts. I like 'em all but those are my favorites.

I was ready to taste Black Tuesday, say I did, and then move on. Well, hold your horses...this one is the "real deal."

Thick and viscous out of the bottle the nose hits you with vanilla, whiskey, brandy, dark cherries, vanilla, sweet espresso and sweet Turkish coffee. Wow...

The mouthfeel is like thick cream. It actually initially tastes like you've put a sweet cherried chocolate vanilla carmel bourbon/brandy fudge sauce in your mouth. Then, you get a bit of heat and alcohol, although nothing like the 19+% it is. This is a meal; this is that special dessert; this is simply a gigantic surprise party of flavor, layers and texture.

While we sipped it at the brewery in our 4 oz pour, I was already planning on the meals at which I'd pour this. First meal will be a huge BBQ, although one could pour this as part of any dessert course, including one of the sweetest and darkest chocolate you could find.

Shows like a thick Sherry, Madera or Port. See the prior reviews. So far, everyone's right on!

Only possible shortcoming for me (and the only reason I didn't give it 5s across the board) is that many will not find it appealing with most food and find it a sipping beer. Me? I'll drink this puppy with everything from BBQ chicken and ribs to pecan pie!

We may have a new standard for big stouts;....or, we simply may have a whole new catagory...

4.56/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

alright. this is it. everyone else out there might as well stop making massive barrel treated imperial stouts, because black Tuesday is the best one there is, and there isn't much room to improve this one of a kind offering from the bruery. major thanks to drlovemd87 for hooking this up! it pours a surprisingly thin looking dark chocolate brown with just a light fizzy tan head. not to say its thin, but I expected this to be syrup, like the older viscosity or the mikkeller brunch, but it isn't, it still looks like beer, which is good. the head isn't epic, but it looks damn good all up. the smell is intense, not nearly as alcoholic as it seems like it should be for nearly 20% abv. I get a ton of nice roasted chocolate malt, cocoa nibs, light vanilla and bourbon. some char and some sweeter milk chocolate too. its complex and huge, but it isn't overpowering or out of balance. now the taste? that is overpowering! wow! what an explosion of flavors here, everything I could smell just cascades over my whole palate. chocolate is large, vanilla is bigger too than it smells, its almost like the best ice cream ever, and its got me thinking about a float... is that sacrilege or is it encouraged? the weight of this beer and its alcoholic strength are not immediately apparent. im lost in a chocolate covered oak orgasm here, its maxed out. the feel again impresses me, that its still beer like at this size. decent carbonation and a full body, but again, it isn't syrupy or overly sticky thick as to be undrinkable. obviously a bottle to share, but wow, this is incredible. id say this is a special occasion beer, but its somehow even too good for Christmas, if that makes sense. its more like just pop it on a random Wednesday and see what happens. again, drlovemd87 is a legend for making this possible. I wont soon forget black Tuesday, and I am really curious for its other incarnations.

edit: drank a fresh one last night as a midnight toast for the new year. i have to say, i was surprised that this wasnt alcoholically hot. the year on the one reviewed here i thought had done much of the mellowing, but its mellow as its made. i have even more admiration for this beer now, really really special stuff.

4.54/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This poured out as a deep rich black color with a light brown head top. The bottle was a active and started foaming over. The retention hangs around the edge of the glass with a very thin lacing and a little syrupy. The taste is loaded with flavor, it's sweet, roasted, malty, bourbon, vanilla some molasses and a subtle licorice in there. The mouthfeel is oily and thick, lightly carbonated and boozy. Overall this beer is impressive, very good on just about every level. It's a huge beer... Almost over the top but very good nonetheless.

4.55/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Nearly pitch black but still displays some ruby highlights; the head is rather modest but that is not surprising for a 19.2% ABV; minimal lacing

Smell: Bourbon and chocolate, with undertones of vanilla and marshmallow; boozy heat

Taste: Chocolate, up front, with the Bourbon, vanilla, marshmallow and coconut building in the middle; quite boozy, after the swallow, with dark fruit, coffee and maple flavors that linger in the finish; the aftertaste has some sweet cherry tones, as well

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with low carbonation; tons of heat

Overall: I had this once before and remember it as being way to big and boozy so I was surprised to find that the 2012 bottling (with the benefit of of some time in the cellar) was really quite flavorful and complex without overwhelming the palate

Thanks, BigTomZ, for the opportunity

4.74/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

If Stouts could inspire liqueur, then this beer is the epitome of that discussion. Again, The Bruery outdoes themselves with another transcendent ale. Beers simply don't get bigger, bolder, more confident or... more ideal!

Its highly viscous pour is the blackest of blacks- its onyx-like sheen makes the beer look every bit as much like an oil slick as it would anything meant to be placed in the mouth. Ominously dark, mysterious and undoubtedly masculine- there's simply something menacing about the beer's appearance. With really no foam, froth, or streaming to mention- the beer's espresso-like character takes hold.

As espresso is where the aromas take off. Deep sweet and smoky roast character is charged with the strongest roasted coffee that's woven together with molasses and maple syrups. Dark chocolate and dried fruit gives the beer a complex wine-like nose. Cherries, grapes, dates, figs and oak peak through the enormity of malt along with hints of coconut, vanilla and caramel as the beer warms.

Heading into taste, the stout's low-lying carbonation allows its massive malt sweetness to latch onto the taste buds and saturate them fully with high espresso roast, black-strap molasses, bittersweet chocolates, walnuts and a savory, smoky sweetness. Port wine and aged sherry release savory and almost salty flavors with a certain "meatiness" that reminds me playfully of teriyaki and soy sauce. Its that sweet and salty interplay that creates such a savory combination that the stout easily replaces dessert as after dinner reward. Its molasses-infused bourbon flavor is well equipped with oak, vanilla, coconut and char as the beer warms.

Incredibly rich and chewy, the beer's viscosity wraps around the tongue like a ribbon of silk- it might as well make love to the mouth. Its heavy coat easily penetrates to soft tissues of the mouth and is slow to release- allowing for a forever linger of sweetness, booze and brownie.

With all the Imperial Stouts on the market, few reach this kind of apex- its every much a digestive liqueur that's as well balanced, complete and robust as any. If stout is the questions, then Black Tuesday wins!

4.72/5  rDev +5.4%

Served on tap at the Bruery on August 9, 2009 in a "Bruery" tulip glass.

A: Very dark and thick with a thin tan head that stayed that way throughout. Nice legs on the sides of the glass.

S: Deep notes of coffee, dark chocolate, vanilla, oak, bourbon, some dark fruits, and hints of brown sugar sweetness.

T: Very similar to the nose and very, very strong-tasting. The alcohol is present, but is certainly not overpowering, blending in quite well.

M: Quite smooth and medium-full bodied. My only complaint at all about this beer is that it could have been a little more fuller-bodied with a more creamy texture.

D: Exceedingly drinkable. A four-ounce pour is not nearly enough. It's too bad the pre-orders were all filled up, but I'm incredibly happy that I ended up in Orange County at just the right time!

4.25/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle: Poured a clear light dark black color ale with a nice dark brown foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of rich thick black chocolate notes with light molasses and some roasted malt is quite sublime. Taste is an incredible mix of thick black chocolate with some roasted malt and some light molasses. Body is quite full with good carbonation and surprisingly no alcohol is easily apparent. Light oak and vanilla notes can also be detected. I was expecting somewhat of a messy overly sweet beers bit this is actually very smooth with plenty of complexity.

4.7/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2009 edition generously shared by Shane. Thanks! Enjoyed this one over the course of a couple hours with Shane and Dyan. This provided a nice contrast to all the bottles of lambic we opened that day.

The pour is black and opaque, impressively dark for the style. It's even black around the edges, and the head is nearly black itself. I'd describe this beer as black.

It smells strongly of bourbon and brownies. The bourbon imparts a strong aroma of caramel, which is supported by a huge chocolate malt foundation. Where's the alcohol? I have no idea. At 19.5% ABV, it's unbelievable how mellow this is. While it's not the most complex stout I've come across, it's certainly a feat of brewing.

The taste opens with bourbon, vanilla, toffee and bittersweet chocolate. Rich and full-bodied, but surprisingly it's neither syrupy nor cloying. Very little heat, and no harshness - I've tried -bal aged beers of half the ABV that tasted hotter. Amazing. Molasses-like sweetness along with a mild roastiness appear mid-palate. Carbonation is fairly ample, enough to give the beer a lively texture and ward off the taste of alcohol. The finish is sweet, a bit woody, with lingering flavors of coffee, caramel and slight alcohol. It's warming going down, the only indication that this is anywhere near 19.5%.

Drinkability isn't especially high, it did take me a couple hours to finish 1/3 of a bottle, but with that said it never became cloying or harsh - it's just such a filling and intense beer that I can't see myself wanting to drink it often or in large quantities.

4.32/5  rDev -3.6%

Thanks Jared & Kevin for making this review possible... An appropriately sinny rapturebeer™ if ever there was one. Review from written notes.

Into a small tulip glass it pours an imposing black with blood red ruby edges that glint in the light. Slim amount of foam, tan ring around the edge, surprising there was any foam considering the abv. The glassy obsidian surface reminds me of the oily black pool at Glastonbury Grove in Twin Peaks.

Toasted marshmallows, melted milk chocolate bars, deep roasty char.

Rich and fudgy (understatement), caramel toffee, almond fudge, fried plantains, warm chocolate syrup. Mucho dry roast and bitter bakers chocolate in the aftertaste. So decadent. Impossibly dense, fudgy and chewy to the nth degree, a perfect liquid dessert. About 4 oz. is enough for one sitting, although I could certainly drink more if I forced myself.

4.57/5  rDev +2%

Thanks to given2flybrewing for sharing this.

A - Poured out an opaque, jet black color. Viscous and thick with a small, tan head of foam that left sudsy trails of lace on the glass.

S - It smelled of bourbon, vanilla, oak, chocolate and rich roastiness.

T - Such great balance - chocolate, toffee, burnt molasses, vanilla and bourbon. Its got some boozy heat, too.

M - It was crisp and smooth. A full bodied ale with a clean finish.

O - This is so fantastic. It lived up to the hype. Simply amazing!

4.97/5  rDev +10.9%

Well it certainly took me long enough to find the time to crack this one open! I figured christmas night would be just the right time to split this one among the family, though I have to admit I ended up drinking half the bottle myself. Served at around fifty degrees and poured into several tasting glasses, this one was consumed on 12/25/2009.

The pour was brilliant and menacing. Rich and dark as night, no light could penetrate this one at all. Sinister looking with a huge tan head that rose up out of the depths and settled over the top with huge amounts of lacing. At this point I am scared, but I push on.

Aroma is brilliant and huge. Rich bourbon notes are immediatly felt. Just larger then life from the get go. Huge notes of booziness, rich vanilla soaked touches, tons of chocolate and rich molasses like notes, the aroma is soo thick you could drown in it. As I take the first sip I am blown away by how big this is. Decadence is defined in this beer. It is so viscous and huge, it almost defies words. Huge flavor of rich chocolate and huge vanilla and bourbon flavors. For 19.5 percent there was no way at all to tell. Maybe 10 percent or so, but wow. Soo smooth and complex I am completely in awe of this creation.

Overall I am really left rather speechless by this. I had my hopes dampened coming into this one as people have said it was not worthy of the hype, but I beg to differ, it was worth every bit of it. This is quite simply the biggest, baddest, strongest RIS I have ever come across and it deserves its title. Still in awe of this one.

4.72/5  rDev +5.4%

I was able to try all three versions at during the tasting this past weekend. My rating will be based off of the 2009 bottle, which I enjoyed the most. Poured from the bottle into my Colossus snifter.

Appearance: Pours black with a very mild amount of tan head that disappears quickly.

Smell: Some hot alcohol with dark fruit, roasted barley, and a ton of sweet and dark chocolate. Quite nice.

Taste: Sweet and very smooth, chalked full of warming alcohol that made mellowed from time. Sweet chocolate with dark fruit and some honey as well.

Mouthfeel: Thick and syrupy with tingly carbonation and a slick finish.

Overall: I thought this beer was just wonderful. I love how much it has mellowed since I was first able to try it. I found the 2010 version to be way too hot, and I preferred the 2011 version to the 2010. 2009 is simply sublime.

4.52/5  rDev +0.9%

I feel like such a homer and a feeder of the hype-machine by giving this beer such an amazing review, but I cannot help it. It deserves it.

A: Black Tuesday is jet black and has one of the best heads I've seen. A finger or so of mocha colored foam that has incredible staying power. If it didn't taste so good, it would be great to just look at it in the glass.

S: As one might expect from a beer as big and bold as this, there are great aromas of bourbon, chocolate, roasted malt, vanilla, sugar, and surprisingly mild alcohol.

T: The flavor is strikingly similar to the aroma (no shock there). The huge chocolate and bourbon barrel flavors are the first to knock your socks off. As you continue to enjoy the beer, you pick up on some dark fruits and licorice, along with some sweeter flavors of vanilla and brown sugar. Eventually the alcohol burn starts to creep in as the beer warms.

M: The carbonation on this beer is low, but the bubbles help to keep it from being too heavy and overwhelming. I find it to be a great match for the flavors and the enormous body of Black Tuesday.

D: Well, this could do well to sit in a cellar for about 5 years. But, it's still so wonderful now that I would not turn a serving down. This is one beer that truly has lived up to its hype (for me, anyway) and I look forward to sharing my bottles and my friends bottles whenever we feel so moved. An absolutely world class beverage!

4.25/5  rDev -5.1%

Appearance: Pours out a foreboding black body with a wispy, wild, beige head.

Smell: Heavy concentrated, sweet-smelling aroma of dark malts with an equally strong, entrancing scent of quality bourbon. Mm-mmm!

Taste: Starts sharply, arrestingly sweet, then in rolls some dark fruits lusciously coated in creamy bittersweet chocolate ganache, brown sugar, and blackstrap molasses and spiced with some star anise. Even doses of vanilla and zesty, charred oak character. Additional dribble of prune juice and a chilled cup of Americano. Warming (though thankfully not boozy or harsh), sweet-tasting (but not cloying) finish.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied. Medium carbonation. Particularly velvety mouthfeel.

Drinkability: A phenomenal, fierce brew! It's about as easily drinkable as something of this magnitude or degree of sweetness can be. Take it slow, bring some friends, and enjoy yourself.

4.65/5  rDev +3.8%

Got a chance to try this awesome beast thanks to ShogoKawada's trading prowess and our "Rush Hour Tasting" of epic magnitudes. I had to back log a bunch of beers so I could write this up for my 200th review as I'm trying to do something epic for each centennial review. My review will be a little less in depth as usual as I was truing to scribble little notes into my notebook and enjoy/savor the awesomeness of the beer at the same time.

A: Super dark rich thick heavy pitch black color. Pours like molasses almost. A light head and carbonation.

N: Nose is loaded with chocolate up the wazzoo, and I'm talkin all kinds of chocolate, bakers chocolate, mild chocolate, dark chocolate, malted chocolate. Some bourbon and oak make their way through it's lusciousness. A little boozy on the nose, but not close to what I would expect for 19.5%. It adds some malty aromas, but not overwhelming.

T: Taste just blows it away. Is so rich and thick. Very sweet with some maple and molasses and a huge malty sweetness. Some bourbon flavor permeates, but doesn't overpower like the chocolate and sweetness. Which brings me to the chocolate. Again, just about every chocolate you can dream of coming out the taste of this. It adds a nice stoutty flavor too with more earthy charred malt flavor. Add some roasted malts to it and you got a nice mix going. Still somewhat boozy but not what you would expect for 19.5%. As it warms more alcohol comes out a bit, the sweetness lessens, your mouth gets used to the chocolate, and some fruity qualities come out. Even a touch of toasted coconut comes through, as well as some fig and plum maybe.

M: So rich and thick my mouth is partying thinking it died and went to beer heaven. It's like liquid velvet blended with the smooth skin of a baby's ass. Some warming alcohol, but not overbearing.

F: Finish is still very sweet, although it seems to lessen on sweetness as it warms but ups the boozy taste. Although I would still put this beer at 10-12% abv so this blend really hides it well. Some bitterness comes out on the finish probably a combination of some hidden hops as well as the earthiness of the starched malts and stout like qualities.

This beer basically lived up to the awesome hype. I was a little worried that it wouldn't, and we all wanted it to bomb out so we could downgrade the score. Instead it did the opposite and made is happy but sad at the same time. I would love to see how this does with a few more years under it's belt. I hope they continue to make batches of this and make higher quantities. The only difficult part of it was the sweetness that was a little overbearing at times, and it was hard to finish, even slowly, but that just pushes the sipping aspect of it, which is very thankful as it masks the 19.5% so well you could just put it back much easier otherwise.

4.72/5  rDev +5.4%

Capped 750 ml bottle into several glasses on 2/3/10. Big thanks go to Deuane for busting this bad boy out on his 40th birthday as a special treat for us all to try.

The pour on this is blacker than black, with about a ½ finger of angry, burnt, reddish, and just all around mean looking, mocha colored head. The retention is this is actually pretty sturdy for a barrel-aged effort, staying foamy on the sides and then more fizzy across the middle portion of the glass. Swirling this gets a steady rise of froth, which leaves a cascade of sticky foam and brown oils, which ever so slowly creeps down the sides of the glass. The aroma is literally, like a bomb going off in the nose. Cocoa, vanilla, brown sugars, herbal hops, burnt molasses, bitter dark malts, and fried smelling sugars, are all out in full force here. The Bourbon kind of hangs half in and half out here in the nose, mingling effortlessly up front with the other flavors and then showing itself all out in the back. As you can imagine, there is a good bit of heat present that singes the nose hairs a bit but when you're dealing with flavors this huge, it only adds to the general badassness of this dark and powerful bouquet.

The taste is just as large and in charge as the aroma was and contains much of the same feel and flavors. Burned and blackened malts, espresso, green citric tones, extremely sticky and thick notes of chocolate, toffee, smoky molasses, brown sugar, plums, and black currants. Trust me, if it dark and sweet tasting, it's probably in here. Bourbon hangs over the other flavors like a hazy cloud, being prominent but still allowing the largeness of the other flavors to still shine. Understandably, the barrel character seems to get a bit lost in the shuffle at times but I can still pick up a good bit of earthy tannic dryness in the finish. The mouthfeel on this beer feels beyond full, with a massive creaminess to it that literally blows up in your mouth. All of that chewy sweetness and herbal character comes in off of the sides with a gooey slickness. I don't think that any description I can give can properly give the mouthfeel of this thing its due. The ABV on this is beyond warm. It's downright hot at times (with the Bourbon flavor adding some of that) but it's not nearly enough to make you think that this thing is pushing 20%. As a matter of fact, everything else about this beer is so huge and ridiculous, I didn't mind it one bit! Hell, throw some over-the-top alcohol in there as well! The more the merrier!

Well after finally getting to try this, I can definitely see how just how polarizing of a beer this can be. Everything about this (OK, except maybe the look) is just outrageous and I think that one's enjoyment of this will depend on their like of these types of flavors or big Stouts in general, as they are totally taken to the nth degree here. I personally loved every drop of it! I will say that a little bit of this goes a long way. I had about 4-5 oz from the bottle and that was plenty for me. This was definitely a bottle meant to be shared by friends.

3.52/5  rDev -21.4%

Served in a snifter.

Big thanks to VDubb86 for sharing his winnings with me!

And the elusive Black Tuesday sits in my glass. Nice. it pours a straight obsidian topped by a half-finger of light ecru foam. The nose comprises rich bourbon, chocolate syrup, roasted malts, molasses, and oak. Smells like the hype might ring true. The taste, though, ensures that it does not. The bourbon is far too hot, the chocolate is just a step too sweet, and these combined with a hefty dose of roasted malts produce an unnerving prickle on the tongue. It's clear there was a damn good idea in place for this beer, but it doesn't seem as though it was carried out very well. Perhaps some age would have done it some good, but I'm not sure I'll find that out. As it stands, the flavors are just too all over the place to work properly. The body is a hefty-ish medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a semi-chewy feel. Overall, though disappointing, I was very glad to have been able to try this brew. I can see why many would love it, but it's just not working for me.

3.95/5  rDev -11.8%

Served on-draught into 2 oz stemware at the Bruery Provisions shoppe. Expectations were wildly high given its reputation, but I've been disappointed with Bruery beers in the past. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a one finger head of good cream, good thickness, and bad retention - obviously due to the high ABV. Solid black colour.

Sm: Raisins, caramel, molasses, restrained dark fruit, grapes, and heavy oak. A moderately strong aroma.

T: The notes of the nose are all present - oak presiding, with a slightly tart unexpected finish. Rich, well balanced, and brilliantly built. The raisin comes through as well. The tart fruit is quite special in this style.

Mf: Velvety smooth and wet. A touch too thick, but it complements the flavours perfectly. This is the strong point of the beer.

Dr: A wonderful sipper, but difficult to drink on account of its high ABV. It's affordable for a small amount at the brewery, but rather unfairly expensive out of the bottle. I'd have it again at a fair price. Really quite nice.

4.17/5  rDev -6.9%

Big thanks to the generosity of Deuane for sharing this beast. Poured chilled into a 1/2 pint and allowed to gradually warm

A - Big and black appearance -the look is not quite viscous like black chocolate liquid, a ring of light tan is present and a bit of cream revives to a thin skin of a head when swirled. The lace hold on the glass when sips are taken

S - molasses, vanilla and toffee notes are high in the aroma w/ baked brownie and a light cocoa bean and dark roast coffee

M -Moderately full feel, not quite syrupy. The feel is warming,yet not quite boozy w/ sugary feel and mild roasted texture w/ nutty and slightly smooth oily fee The beer seems spicy and dry as it finishes

T - The flavor is intense from the get-go, black currants and cocoa w/ dark brown sugar and slightly charred malt taste w/ woody accents and toasted grain w/ bitter herbal flavor and dark roast coffee-like acidity w/ lots of intense concentrated wort flavor like a dark malty molasses accented roasted elixir, both dry and sweet w/ spicy and alcohol flavors all very forward in the flavor, big beer that lets you know its a bruiser but doesn't knock you out with the first taste. The layers of malts and wood and alcohol all are in sync and leave ripples of full flavor on the tongue even after the taste

D - The drinkability is hard to compare to others of the style, very high quality and enjoyable to savor, yet not something you would want to pick up and drink all that often. For what it is it is highly drinkable. The flavors evolve very well and the abv while evident is still not close to what you might expect 19%+ to be when consuming this

3.79/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I'm pretty sure this was a 2012 bottle, consumed Jan. '14. Dark brown-black pour, no surprise there, topped with a thin brown head that receded to a ringlet; minimal lacing. Aroma was fairly sweet, notes of dark chocolate and vanilla, pretty hot with bourbony booze, licorice, brown sugar, some dark fruits. But the booze was the dominant factor. Fairly sweet up front in the taste (not quite Dark Lord sweet, perhaps), lots of booze, bourbon-soaked oak, bitter dark chocolate, licorice, tobacco, dark fruits, more subtle vanilla, the oak and herbal hops came out a bit more in the finish, and even more so as it warmed. While this was definitely pretty hot and boozy, it still drank fairly well, considering the extremely high ABV. Body was on the fuller side of medium--might as well just call it full--with a slick and somewhat unctuous mouthfeel. A decent brew overall, but doesn't really live up to the hype (welcome to the Bruery). I can get a World Wide Stout at my local shop and experience pretty much the same thing this beer offers (or better), in a better package (aka smaller bottle) and for a better price.

4.38/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

2(!) shared bottles.

Wonderful strong rich aroma with well set contribution from the BBL

Flavor, a bit more BBL but plenty of other flavors too including a strong molasses note.

Well hidden ABV - drinks like 'just' 10%. Very smooth and mild for 19.2% ABV.

4.7/5  rDev +4.9%

From 12/12/10 notes. Got to try this at a local tasting thanks to drabmuh. Big thanks Matt, this was my biggest want!

a - Pours a jet black color with two to three inches of fluffy tan head that stays throughout drinking and light carbonation evident. Leaves a tiny bit of lacing on the glass, looks perfect.

s - Smells of bourbon, oak, chocolate, roasted malts, dark fruit, and vanilla. Also a little sweet brown sugar or molasses. Very enjoyable; it's complex and balanced.

t - Tastes of bourbon, oak, chocolate, roasted malts, vanilla, and molasses. Also a little bit of raisin or dark fruit. Taste is a bit hot but still great to me, as I love bourbon.

m - Medium to full body and low carbonation. The body is really smooth and creamy and the ABV is very well hidden. It I didn't know this was 18-19% ABV, I would have guessed it was 9%. Love the mouthfeel.

d - Overall I thought this was an amazing beer; one of the best barrel aged stouts I've ever had. While this beer is super hyped and I have been disappointed with some of their hyped beers in the past, this one lived up to the hype. I think it looks and smells great, and has a wonderful mouthfeel, but is a tiny bit hot. I think in 6-12 months this could be even better, if the heat dies down a tiny bit. Either way, if you like bourbon barrel aged stouts you'll still love this one now. Would love to get another bottle of this.

4.59/5  rDev +2.5%

I have had this beer multiple times over the last few years, this rating will be a combination of them all. The numerical ratings are from a 09 bottle. I recently brought a 2011 bottle to Imminent Liquidation II so I decided to finally write a review.

A - Pours pitch black with a nice one and a half finger tall tan head leaving a good amount of lace down the sides of the glass.

S - Smells of milk chocolate, vanilla, dark roasted malt, bourbon, dark fruits, oak, brown sugar and some oak. The booze is apparent throughout. I can not think of anything more I would want in an imperial stout.

T - Starts off with a ton of chocolaty sweetness and lots of warm bourbon quickly giving way to a mix of dark roasted malt, vanilla, dark fruit and brown sugar. Finish has some sweet heat with some lingering dry oak tannins.

M - Big, smooth, boozy feel that is just great. I prefer these with a year or so on them to help kill some of the booze. There is no doubt that this is one big beer.

O - This is undoubtedly one of the best imperial stouts out there. When it is fresh it can be a little too harsh for my liking but once the booze mellows it really comes into its own. I will never turn down one of these.

Black Tuesday from The Bruery