Black Tuesday - The Bruery

2010: 18.2% ABV
2011: 18.3% ABV
2012: 19.2% ABV
2013: 18.9% ABV

(Beer added by: OlieIPA on 07-18-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Black Tuesday Alström Bros
4.05/5  rDev -10.8%

Chocolate, coffee, bourbon, booziness. More bourbon than I care for, more chocolate than I require, and the coffee was OK. Black, small head, a ring of lace. Lots of coconut flavour, not unpleasant. All of the above are liked more by others. Some vanilla, it is very rich and smooth, I am highly preferential to Kate TG and even other imperial stouts in the ratings race.Thanks Tom for hooking me up with a 2010.

4.7/5  rDev +3.5%

Bottle pour at the Bruery Reserve Society initiation party at The Phoenix Club in Anaheim, CA.

2011 vintage.

Pours an opaque super dark brown with a tan head that settles to an oily film on top of the beer. No lacing on this one. Smell is of dark roasted malt, vanilla, wood, and bourbon aromas. Taste is amazing and is of dark roasted malt, dark fruits, vanilla, wood, and bourbon. This beer has a light level of carbonation with a medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is an exceptional stout with a fantastic barrel aged presence.

3.75/5  rDev -17.4%

4.7/5  rDev +3.5%

Served on tap at the Bruery on August 9, 2009 in a "Bruery" tulip glass.

A: Very dark and thick with a thin tan head that stayed that way throughout. Nice legs on the sides of the glass.

S: Deep notes of coffee, dark chocolate, vanilla, oak, bourbon, some dark fruits, and hints of brown sugar sweetness.

T: Very similar to the nose and very, very strong-tasting. The alcohol is present, but is certainly not overpowering, blending in quite well.

M: Quite smooth and medium-full bodied. My only complaint at all about this beer is that it could have been a little more fuller-bodied with a more creamy texture.

D: Exceedingly drinkable. A four-ounce pour is not nearly enough. It's too bad the pre-orders were all filled up, but I'm incredibly happy that I ended up in Orange County at just the right time!

4.8/5  rDev +5.7%

I'm reluctant to review since I'm throwing in an opinion consistent with those before me! In summary, an all around winner destined for stardom!

I buy into the hype of the "rare," "hard to get" "big alcohol," "one of a kind" stuff as much as the next person. Thus, after driving Steff crazy with e-mails, I'm sure, (and in which she basically said if you want to try it..come down and try it! lol...) I drove down today. Candidly, I've been disappointed, a bit, in some of these hyped, huge alcoholic stouts and "stout type" brews. I am a big fan of "the extreme." I love the huge hops and I love the big, bold stouts. I like 'em all but those are my favorites.

I was ready to taste Black Tuesday, say I did, and then move on. Well, hold your horses...this one is the "real deal."

Thick and viscous out of the bottle the nose hits you with vanilla, whiskey, brandy, dark cherries, vanilla, sweet espresso and sweet Turkish coffee. Wow...

The mouthfeel is like thick cream. It actually initially tastes like you've put a sweet cherried chocolate vanilla carmel bourbon/brandy fudge sauce in your mouth. Then, you get a bit of heat and alcohol, although nothing like the 19+% it is. This is a meal; this is that special dessert; this is simply a gigantic surprise party of flavor, layers and texture.

While we sipped it at the brewery in our 4 oz pour, I was already planning on the meals at which I'd pour this. First meal will be a huge BBQ, although one could pour this as part of any dessert course, including one of the sweetest and darkest chocolate you could find.

Shows like a thick Sherry, Madera or Port. See the prior reviews. So far, everyone's right on!

Only possible shortcoming for me (and the only reason I didn't give it 5s across the board) is that many will not find it appealing with most food and find it a sipping beer. Me? I'll drink this puppy with everything from BBQ chicken and ribs to pecan pie!

We may have a new standard for big stouts;....or, we simply may have a whole new catagory...

3.5/5  rDev -22.9%

4.56/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Nearly pitch black but still displays some ruby highlights; the head is rather modest but that is not surprising for a 19.2% ABV; minimal lacing

Smell: Bourbon and chocolate, with undertones of vanilla and marshmallow; boozy heat

Taste: Chocolate, up front, with the Bourbon, vanilla, marshmallow and coconut building in the middle; quite boozy, after the swallow, with dark fruit, coffee and maple flavors that linger in the finish; the aftertaste has some sweet cherry tones, as well

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with low carbonation; tons of heat

Overall: I had this once before and remember it as being way to big and boozy so I was surprised to find that the 2012 bottling (with the benefit of of some time in the cellar) was really quite flavorful and complex without overwhelming the palate

Thanks, BigTomZ, for the opportunity

4.74/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

If Stouts could inspire liqueur, then this beer is the epitome of that discussion. Again, The Bruery outdoes themselves with another transcendent ale. Beers simply don't get bigger, bolder, more confident or... more ideal!

Its highly viscous pour is the blackest of blacks- its onyx-like sheen makes the beer look every bit as much like an oil slick as it would anything meant to be placed in the mouth. Ominously dark, mysterious and undoubtedly masculine- there's simply something menacing about the beer's appearance. With really no foam, froth, or streaming to mention- the beer's espresso-like character takes hold.

As espresso is where the aromas take off. Deep sweet and smoky roast character is charged with the strongest roasted coffee that's woven together with molasses and maple syrups. Dark chocolate and dried fruit gives the beer a complex wine-like nose. Cherries, grapes, dates, figs and oak peak through the enormity of malt along with hints of coconut, vanilla and caramel as the beer warms.

Heading into taste, the stout's low-lying carbonation allows its massive malt sweetness to latch onto the taste buds and saturate them fully with high espresso roast, black-strap molasses, bittersweet chocolates, walnuts and a savory, smoky sweetness. Port wine and aged sherry release savory and almost salty flavors with a certain "meatiness" that reminds me playfully of teriyaki and soy sauce. Its that sweet and salty interplay that creates such a savory combination that the stout easily replaces dessert as after dinner reward. Its molasses-infused bourbon flavor is well equipped with oak, vanilla, coconut and char as the beer warms.

Incredibly rich and chewy, the beer's viscosity wraps around the tongue like a ribbon of silk- it might as well make love to the mouth. Its heavy coat easily penetrates to soft tissues of the mouth and is slow to release- allowing for a forever linger of sweetness, booze and brownie.

With all the Imperial Stouts on the market, few reach this kind of apex- its every much a digestive liqueur that's as well balanced, complete and robust as any. If stout is the questions, then Black Tuesday wins!

4.25/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle: Poured a clear light dark black color ale with a nice dark brown foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of rich thick black chocolate notes with light molasses and some roasted malt is quite sublime. Taste is an incredible mix of thick black chocolate with some roasted malt and some light molasses. Body is quite full with good carbonation and surprisingly no alcohol is easily apparent. Light oak and vanilla notes can also be detected. I was expecting somewhat of a messy overly sweet beers bit this is actually very smooth with plenty of complexity.

4.97/5  rDev +9.5%

Well it certainly took me long enough to find the time to crack this one open! I figured christmas night would be just the right time to split this one among the family, though I have to admit I ended up drinking half the bottle myself. Served at around fifty degrees and poured into several tasting glasses, this one was consumed on 12/25/2009.

The pour was brilliant and menacing. Rich and dark as night, no light could penetrate this one at all. Sinister looking with a huge tan head that rose up out of the depths and settled over the top with huge amounts of lacing. At this point I am scared, but I push on.

Aroma is brilliant and huge. Rich bourbon notes are immediatly felt. Just larger then life from the get go. Huge notes of booziness, rich vanilla soaked touches, tons of chocolate and rich molasses like notes, the aroma is soo thick you could drown in it. As I take the first sip I am blown away by how big this is. Decadence is defined in this beer. It is so viscous and huge, it almost defies words. Huge flavor of rich chocolate and huge vanilla and bourbon flavors. For 19.5 percent there was no way at all to tell. Maybe 10 percent or so, but wow. Soo smooth and complex I am completely in awe of this creation.

Overall I am really left rather speechless by this. I had my hopes dampened coming into this one as people have said it was not worthy of the hype, but I beg to differ, it was worth every bit of it. This is quite simply the biggest, baddest, strongest RIS I have ever come across and it deserves its title. Still in awe of this one.

4.5/5  rDev -0.9%

I feel like such a homer and a feeder of the hype-machine by giving this beer such an amazing review, but I cannot help it. It deserves it.

A: Black Tuesday is jet black and has one of the best heads I've seen. A finger or so of mocha colored foam that has incredible staying power. If it didn't taste so good, it would be great to just look at it in the glass.

S: As one might expect from a beer as big and bold as this, there are great aromas of bourbon, chocolate, roasted malt, vanilla, sugar, and surprisingly mild alcohol.

T: The flavor is strikingly similar to the aroma (no shock there). The huge chocolate and bourbon barrel flavors are the first to knock your socks off. As you continue to enjoy the beer, you pick up on some dark fruits and licorice, along with some sweeter flavors of vanilla and brown sugar. Eventually the alcohol burn starts to creep in as the beer warms.

M: The carbonation on this beer is low, but the bubbles help to keep it from being too heavy and overwhelming. I find it to be a great match for the flavors and the enormous body of Black Tuesday.

D: Well, this could do well to sit in a cellar for about 5 years. But, it's still so wonderful now that I would not turn a serving down. This is one beer that truly has lived up to its hype (for me, anyway) and I look forward to sharing my bottles and my friends bottles whenever we feel so moved. An absolutely world class beverage!

4.56/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This poured out as a deep rich black color with a light brown head top. The bottle was a active and started foaming over. The retention hangs around the edge of the glass with a very thin lacing and a little syrupy. The taste is loaded with flavor, it's sweet, roasted, malty, bourbon, vanilla some molasses and a subtle licorice in there. The mouthfeel is oily and thick, lightly carbonated and boozy. Overall this beer is impressive, very good on just about every level. It's a huge beer... Almost over the top but very good nonetheless.

4.75/5  rDev +4.6%

4.75/5  rDev +4.6%

4.28/5  rDev -5.7%

Appearance: Pours out a foreboding black body with a wispy, wild, beige head.

Smell: Heavy concentrated, sweet-smelling aroma of dark malts with an equally strong, entrancing scent of quality bourbon. Mm-mmm!

Taste: Starts sharply, arrestingly sweet, then in rolls some dark fruits lusciously coated in creamy bittersweet chocolate ganache, brown sugar, and blackstrap molasses and spiced with some star anise. Even doses of vanilla and zesty, charred oak character. Additional dribble of prune juice and a chilled cup of Americano. Warming (though thankfully not boozy or harsh), sweet-tasting (but not cloying) finish.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied. Medium carbonation. Particularly velvety mouthfeel.

Drinkability: A phenomenal, fierce brew! It's about as easily drinkable as something of this magnitude or degree of sweetness can be. Take it slow, bring some friends, and enjoy yourself.

Black Tuesday from The Bruery