Black Tuesday - The Bruery

2011: 18.3% ABV
2012: 19.2% ABV
2013: 18.9% ABV
2014: 19.7% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Black Tuesday Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,248 | Reviews: 632
4.59/5  rDev +0.9%

I have had this beer multiple times over the last few years, this rating will be a combination of them all. The numerical ratings are from a 09 bottle. I recently brought a 2011 bottle to Imminent Liquidation II so I decided to finally write a review.

A - Pours pitch black with a nice one and a half finger tall tan head leaving a good amount of lace down the sides of the glass.

S - Smells of milk chocolate, vanilla, dark roasted malt, bourbon, dark fruits, oak, brown sugar and some oak. The booze is apparent throughout. I can not think of anything more I would want in an imperial stout.

T - Starts off with a ton of chocolaty sweetness and lots of warm bourbon quickly giving way to a mix of dark roasted malt, vanilla, dark fruit and brown sugar. Finish has some sweet heat with some lingering dry oak tannins.

M - Big, smooth, boozy feel that is just great. I prefer these with a year or so on them to help kill some of the booze. There is no doubt that this is one big beer.

O - This is undoubtedly one of the best imperial stouts out there. When it is fresh it can be a little too harsh for my liking but once the booze mellows it really comes into its own. I will never turn down one of these.

4.97/5  rDev +9.2%

A huge thanks to jhenry04 for coming through for me on this one in a very fair and reasonable trade.

I served this at 54 degrees into my Dogfish Head snifter. On first pour, there is very little carbonation until five seconds or so pass and a nice stream of bubbles begins to work its way to the surface. A frothy, Cappuccino-like head forms on a second vigorous pour. Swirling this around in the glass produces tremendous legs like a fine sherry or port.

The smell is outstanding. As soon as I worked my way through the two layers of black wax and pried off the cap, a beautiful caramel, cocoa aroma was released. Sticking my nose deep into the snifter I get a host of bourbon-like flavors ranging from vanilla to toffee to sultana raisins. Gorgeous. I spent a good ten minutes just inhaling the aromas before taking my first sip. There was certainly a strong presence of alcohol in the nose which was leading me to believe that this would be quite hot.

Upon my first taste I was immediately struck by how the nose transfered to the taste in every way but one - the alcohol was much more subdued than what I expected. Notes of muscovado sugar, plums and candied pecans all come through on subsequent sips. This is heady stuff!

Mouthfeel was tremendous. Very viscous but never chewy. A perfect amount of carbonation for the high alcohol and a fantastic achievement considering it's nearly 40 proof!

Drinkability is off the charts for the style and high alcohol content. Despite the heat in the nose and very sweet body, it never becomes hot or cloying. Beautifully done!

In retrospect Black Tuesday resembles Utopias, the FW Anniversary beers, MS Arctic Devil Barleywine and even J.W. Lees Harvest Ale more than it does many of the top Imperial Stouts out there.

Is this the best beer in the world? One could certainly argue for or against and have valid points on both sides. What is indisputable to me is that Black Tuesday is a tremendous brewing achievement that shows great finesse in a huge package. All I know is that I spent nearly two hours drinking this beer and when I swirled the last sip in my mouth and swallowed I was deeply satiated.

4.38/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

2(!) shared bottles.

Wonderful strong rich aroma with well set contribution from the BBL

Flavor, a bit more BBL but plenty of other flavors too including a strong molasses note.

Well hidden ABV - drinks like 'just' 10%. Very smooth and mild for 19.2% ABV.

4.8/5  rDev +5.5%

The beer pours a pitch black color with a 1/4" brown head that fades to lacing. The aroma is out of this world. It's warm and dark with excellent bourbon barrel character. The black and roasted malts are present and accounted for. The taste is perfect in my opinion. It's a strong black, earthy, roasted beer with a thick rich flavor that goes down warm and finishes the same with a nice bourbon character. The bourbon really compliments the overall experience. The mouthfeel is exceptional. It is a full bodied beer with near perfect carbonation. This is my new favorite beer in the world. It has everything I'm looking for in a drinking experience.

4.42/5  rDev -2.9%

Huge thanks to GregSVT for sharing this bottle. I was beginning to doubt whether I would ever get to try this one.

2011 vintage.

The beer pours a very dark brown to black color with a few brown bubbles but no real head.

The aroma is awesome. I get a ton of bourbon and molasses notes, as well as some raisins, chocolate and roasted malt. The other barrel-aged notes also come through and contribute quite a bit of maple and oak.

The flavor is just as good, if not better than the aroma. The first notes are some sweet chocolate, which is quickly followed by a heavy amount of bourbon. I also get some great maple, oak and vanilla notes from the barrel-aging process, as well as some coffee and brown sugar. The alcohol is very present and the beer is extremely sweet.

Medium to thick mouthfeel and low carbonation. Thanks again Greg for sharing this bottle.

4.47/5  rDev -1.8%

Review from notes. 2011 Vintage.

A: Pours black with a small khaki colored head on top with decent retention. No lacing.

S: Lots of bourbon, oak, vanilla, and dark fruits, mostly rasins and a little bit of plum. There is a slight boozy note to it, which didn't really surprise me at 18%.

T: Up front there is a lot of brown sugar, molasses and chocolate. The oak comes through a little, and then there is nice rush of bourbon and vanilla.

M: Full bodied, very smooth with the abv surprisingly well hidden.

O: A fantastic beer, not something I could drink everyday from the abv, but a great beer to share.

4.65/5  rDev +2.2%

Review #600

Poured into a mini snifter glass.

Pours a small tan head. Decent retention for the small layer. Color is pretty much black, but around the edges it is has copper hue to it.

Aroma: Chocolate, bourbon, vanilla, oak, raisins, cherries, plums. It smells hot, but very nice.

Taste: A little hot off the top. Lots of bourbon. It's not bad fore the high abv. Vanilla, oak, and tons of dark dried fruits: raisins, cherries, and plums. Chocolate and earthy hops.

Mouthfeel: A little hot, huge malty beer. A little creamy as well. Full bodied with a decent amount of carbonation. I was told this beer had no heat with it, but it brings a lot to the table, granted that it should, being 19.5%.

EDIT: After being able to drink a lot more of this beer at the Bruery, I have to adjust my scores. This beer is really amazing and I wanted to keep drinking it. Superb.

Overall, this beer is good, but I can see it getting a lot better with age on it. People claim that the abv doesn't show at all, well I am going to have to call that a lie. There is definitely a fair amount of heat showing in this beer. I will be reevaluating this beer once I get to try it again with some age on it.

3.68/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I have had the privilege of trying this brew each year it was released but never got around to writing a formal review. This time I am making it happen with a fresh 2012 bottle into a matching Bruery snifter. The brew pours brown in color as it streams out of the bottle and collects in my glass as a darker fudgy brown color. About a finger of khaki head sits atop and fades to a thin film across the top with less than a half finger holding around the outside perimeter of the glass. Rising bubbles maintain that partial forth around the edge of the glass seemingly throughout the entire duration. When held to the light, the brew shows some lighter brown coloration around the edges with hints of red.

The aroma of this brew is sweet with suggestions of vanilla and chocolate. There are plenty of dark fruity alcohol esters present in the nose mixing with a significant supporting role of whiskey. The residual sweetness of the nose is reminiscent of belgian candy sugar coupled with vinous notes. As the brew warms up, some herbal hop notes come forward. When swirled and as the brew warms, there are very minor roasty elements.

The initial flavors are quite sweet but there is a significant amount of booze also present that is borderline numbing to the tongue. A lot of dark fruity alcohol mingles on the tongue creating flavors akin to raisins, plumes, prunes and molasses with again, a kick of solvent alcohol. When bigger sips are taken, there is a bit of an herbal hop present and dry oak quality. As it warms up, it gets somewhat medicinal with a greater focus on whiskey aspects instead of beer.

This is a full bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. It has a huge alcohol impact that really suppresses the overall drinkability. There is quite a bit of complexity here to take in and I gotta say this one has me scratching my head. I dont want to be "that guy" who proclaims the Bruery and this beer has changed but quite frankly, this is not the same beer I remember enjoying in years past. I realize the recipe isn't the same each year and the alcohol varies but this is a significant variance from years past. This is more like a fruity/vinous dark belgian strong ale than the thick and syrupy chocolate smoothie of a beast stout I remember.

4.49/5  rDev -1.3%

2010 vintage courtesy of hopderek at Imminent Liquidation - thanks!!

A: Pitch black, almost no head but it was there for a few seconds, oily looking body.

S: Bourbon....barrels...yup. Loads of seeping bourbon and wood notes from the barrel aging here. Some darker fruits (raisins, plums) and balanced caramel malt presence is here but definitely overshadowed by the bourbon.

T: A sweeter stout than I was expecting. Vanilla, bourbon, chocolate syrup, oak notes and sweet roasted malt again come into play. Very nicely balanced as these flavors seem to play off one another quite well. Nothing is dominating to the point that it doesn't allow the other flavors to shine. Damn straight!

M: Thick and oily, while retaining a certain creaminess about it that is what I always look for in an Imperial Stout. Slight carbonation bubbles that definitely doesn't detract from the body. Well done.

D: I mean, honestly, it's delicious but I couldn't drink much of this. I'd split the bottle and savor every sip. The alcohol is ridiculously high, so I can't score this really high.

Black Tuesday is absolutely worth it's hype. It's a beer every craft beer lover needs to get their hands on an sample at some point in time. Nicely done, boys.

4.88/5  rDev +7.3%

A huge thank you to Darrell for sharing this rare delicacy last night.

A: Deep, opaque black. There is a moderately small beige that hangs out for a few minutes before sinking into the abyss and disappearing forever.

S: Bourbon! Whoa! There is nothing subtle about the aroma. It's enticing and alluring, but I must say that is predominantly bourbon.

T: Black Tuesday tastes fantastic. Plain and simple. It's incredibly rich and buttery smooth. It's like a heavy freight train loaded with rich, roasted malt loaded and bourbon barrels on a collision course with your palate. I didn't find it to be complex, per se, as the enormous bourbon flavors overtake some of the more subtle aspects.

M: Extremely viscous, rich and thick. Alcohol content disguised masterfully. This isn't to say alcohol is not detectable, but I would never have guessed that it's nearly 20% abv. Very impressive.

D: While it definitely seems like a strong beer, I am amazed that it weighs in at 19.5% abv. That's insane. I had 6-8 ounces and thoroughly enjoyed every sip. Highly recommended.

4.05/5  rDev -11%

Thanks goes out to ___ for providing the bottle, went into some small snifters and split with friends. Review 475.

Midnight sky black with some dark muddy spots towards the edges. The beer pours thick and oil like and just looks like some gooey syrup. You may want to put some plastic down on your couch before enjoying this near 20%er, things could get tricky. Not really any head, save for a few small patches of brown bubbles. Nothing in terms of lace but there is a brown dirty film that remains on the glass.

Smells like sweet heaven. Black Tuesday has a bold nose, and it reaches far from the glass. An equal amount of roasted malt and chocolate attack the senses, opening my eyes. A nice vanilla base and minimal coffee. The bourbon is huge and makes me smile. BT smells like a souped up Bourbon County Stout mixed with a small bit of World Wide Stout, but with even more malt sweetness. Some molasses and licorice. The alcohol is masked very well but it's not 100% out of the way.

Tuesday is big, It's huge in fact. The two main tastes is dark rich chocolate and roasted malts working in unison together. Under that is more malt giving off more sweetness plus caramel. Expensive bourbon makes a move next and leaves my mouth a bit hot and boozy, but im loving it. The bourbon shines with temp. changes. Some oak from the barrel. Surprised not to get a lot of coffee out of BT, it's very minimal. For a beer this size I was expecting some soy sauce, and i got some but just a touch, phew. Molasses and more malt in the finish, this stuff is big.

The alcohol is masked well but I can still tell it's there easily with a slight hotness, it's small and not in the way. BT is thick and viscous, chewy and RAW. Kind of goes down like a light syrup while taking small sips. This has a certain slickness going down leaving all the ingredients on the tounge, and then finishing with some hot booze. The bourbon seems to be sticking around the longest.

Slowly and surely I will make it through this darkness. BT demands some time and patience and a plate of assorted chocolates to heighten the experience. Spread the love and share with a friend or two or you may not make it into work the next morning. For the amount of alcohol and sweetness this beer is very approachable. I believe that while aging this may do something to the taste and heat, it wont exactly benefit greatly as it's huge and great right now

Black Tuesday actually reminded me of some of those big foreign stouts including some Mikeller stuff, Dark Horizon and the like, only with the American twist of doing it even bigger.

On-tap at The Bruery itself, 8oz.,

A: Pours pitch black with a light brown head, spots of lace.

S: Robust smell full of chocolate syrup, coffee and licorice.

T: Big flavours, heavy on the dark chocolate, molasses, licorice, anise and mocha. Bourbon barrels come in and add touch of vanilla, wood and cinnamon spice. Pretty much perfect for what an imperial stout should taste like.

M: Full-bodied, thick and viscous, but incredibly smooth and balanced. No heat from the alcohol is astonishing, but something I've come to expect from The Bruery's big beers. Dark Lord is the only beer I can recall having a comparably big mouthfeel.

D: Aside from Partridge in a Spice Tree this is my favourite beer ever from The Bruery, and it will actually be available for more than a weekend. I can't really find a fault with this beer. So easy to drink for its style, it should be illegal. It's hard to say $25 or $1/oz. for a bottle of beer is even a good deal, but for this one it's a steal.

4.2/5  rDev -7.7%

Thanks to Irishcolonial for sharing this the other night. 2011 vintage poured from a 750ml bottle. It poured dark brown in color, and pretty close to black. A very thin tan lacing formed along the edges of the glass.

The first thing that is immediately noticeable in the aroma is the boozy and hot alcohol presence. I do get a lot of nice, rich, dark chocolate and roasted malts to it coming through that I really like. The bourbon seems to add to the hot alcohol presence to it and the notes of vanilla, oak and brown sugar are a little overshadowed by that. It has some very nice, rich flavors to it, but the alcohol showed too much for me.

The taste is rich with dark chocolate up front and bitter roasted malts in the finish. I get some really nice notes of vanilla and booze soaked fruits to it. The bourbon comes through as mostly alcohol heat with some brown sugar and oak notes trying to come out.

The mouthfeel Is oily and a little thick with carbonation being low. Overall, it was pretty good but not as great as I anticipated. The hot, boozy alcohol overshadowed some of the really great flavors to me. I can easily imagine this moving from very good to great with a few years of age on it. Hopefully I'll get a chance to revisit.

4.77/5  rDev +4.8%

The bottles won't be released for another three months, but a keg was tapped at the source yesterday. I've known about this beer since May 2008, when me and a buddy sampled this beer when it was still fermenting! Anyways...let's keep the hype train rolling:

Polka dot tan lacing clings to the glass on top the pitch black body. A little paper-thin tan foam caps the body. The aroma...watch out! Very intense, but oh so enjoyable. Very sweet, like vanilla, bourbon, fruit, burnt sugar, and a faint roastiness.

The aroma, combined with the taste, makes this beer a winner. I was first amazed with how well masked the alcohol was. There is a little heat, but it feels more like 10-11% range of a good beer. It's chocolatey, bourbony, woody, burnt sugary, fruity, and a pinch of boozy. The alcohol had a bit of a cherry flavor. An easy mouthfeel keeps things from getting too cloying, but still heavy and lip-smacking good. Slighty boozy, and it never hangs around for too long. Damn...it's a very slow sipper, but I could sip on it awhile.

I was worried this would be like World Wide Stout or Mikkeller Black and be extremely alcoholic with limited enjoyability. Fortunately, that is not the case. Black Tuesday black out the booze and stimulates the taste buds. Indeed, this is marvelous black water. Oh, and don't fret too much if you miss out on a bottle initially, because this beer will be brewed again in the future.

4.41/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into a snifter glass at Smoke & Barrel DC part of bottle exchange. From notes.

Surprisingly not as dark as thought it would be. A good brown mahogonay coming out of the bottle hits with a solid dark walnut body. Very opaque and har to see through.

Nose has a huge chunk of molasses and sticky quality. Lots of sticky toffee. Thick smelling. Good sense of controlled whiskey like heat, with complimenting red fruits of cherry and raspberry. Great smelling beer, luckily not too hot on the nose.

Palate hits with a good chunk of sweet taffy. Lots of sticky peppermint and warming menthol finish. Controlled warmth with a nice warming big hit in the pit of your stomach. Lots of chocolate sensations with a thick almost syrup like body. Fruit action comes after repeated sips and some warmth, hinting of thick red fruits of cherry/raspberry feeling. Much of the molasses seem to get left behind.

Overall the flavors are nicely balanced, and even at this high abv it's still incredibly easy to drink. Very memorable beer and quite enjoyable, very well made.

3.99/5  rDev -12.3%

Huge thanks to javib458 for sending this beast to me.

2009 vintage, 20 malts, son!

Pours pitch black and completely opaque without even the slightest hint of lighter color and a half finger dark mocha head that dissapears immediately. No lacing at all.

Boozy bourbon aroma with hints of earthy oak and vanilla. slightly roasted chocolate malt as well as some hazelnut and toffee but the nose of this beer is all about the barrel. There's a nice vanilla marshmallow presence that cuts down the hot spirit character. Subtle soy sauce in the nose as well and the bourbon dominates but the malt presence becomes more evident as it warms.

Chewy medium body with a huge blast of bourbon that lingers troughout into a sweet, hot finish with plenty of warmth in the chest. Slightly viscous but a bit thinner than I expected based on the appearance. As it warms the silky chocolate malts become more apparent but overall this is kind of a one dimensional bourbon bomb. Faint hints of chocolate, toffee and licorice. Lots of alcohol sweetness and subtle soy spice flavor but this beer is actually pretty drinkable with a relatively well masked ABV. I would have never guessed that this was over 18%.

Overall this beer is pretty tasty and easier drinking than expecting considering the ABV but it's a bit one dimensional and thinner bodied than I prefer for the style.

3.87/5  rDev -14.9%

2011 750 mL bottle poured into my new CBS snifter. Split with baconbourbon.

Appearance - Doesn't really pour as black as I thought it would be, considering it's called Black Tuesday. It's a little translucent at the edges. Temporarily has a head, but it doesn't last. How could it, really? It incredibly sticky. If left for a while, I would expect this to reduce to a molasses-like sludge.

Smell - Bourbon, sugar, and alcohol. Whoah. I kinda get some of the stout behind it, but really it's overpowered by the bourbon, sugar, and alcohol. When I first smelled it, I got a lot of the barrel. As I drink it, I get less barrel and more alcohol.

Taste - Bourbon at first. Vanilla and caramel. No oak, but the barrel seems evident just from the bourbon and vanilla. Lighter malts shine through much more than any roasted malts. Immensely sweet. In the back I finally get some flavors from the stout itself. Chocolate and some coffee, but it's an afterthought to the sugar and alcohol. The finish isn't as boozy as I expected.

Mouthfeel - Thick and syrupy. Boozy, but not in the taste. It's warming to the point of a slight burn. Split two ways, this is a big ask. I want to go to sleep, but I still have half a glass left and I know I won't feel so hot in the morning.

Overall - Disappointing, I suppose. I don't know what I expected out of such a gigantic stout. It's like the scene at the beginning of Super Troopers where they chug the maple syrup, except there's lethal levels of alcohol in this. Good night.

4.97/5  rDev +9.2%

20 malt batch consumed on 08/01/2009 on tap at The Bruery. I toyed with the idea of driving up here to try this on draft, and the only thing that was stopping me was the fact that I already had a couple bottles reserved. With each new review of the beer that I read, the urge to head north grew stronger, and finally I found myself on the 5 North last Saturday riding for victory (more bottles and a draft sample).

The liquid is black in my snifter, as any good Imperial Stout should be. The toffee head is mountainous, and it leaves behind thick legs on the sides which are quickly reanimated by a swirl of the glass. The retention is excellent, finally choosing to settle into a lingering froth of various shades of brown. Great looking beer.

The aroma is magnificent. The dark fruit component is made up of grapes, dark cherries, and plums. Blackstrap molasses is present. The 19% is not at all represented in the nose. You could tell me the ABV of this beer is 7% and I'd believe you (If I hadn't already seen the legs). Notes of brown sugar accompany vanilla, oak, and rich toffee sweetness. Dark chocolate is noticeable, and the bourbon is very well integrated into the aroma. It doesn't overpower and it doesn't take center stage. The candied sugar is excellent, but it's the maple that really stands out for me.

The flavor is rich chocolate and toffee with bourbon and oak. The sweetness is sugary but nowhere near cloying. It's made up of maple, which tastes wonderful, and candied, which is also fantastic. I commented on the well integrated bourbon in the aroma, and that trend continues in the flavor. I really love bourbon dominated beers, but there's so much going in Black Tuesday that balance is key, and any overshadowing flavor would be to its detriment. The dark fruit complexity is made up of plums, dark cherries, and grapes. Blackstrap molasses is present, and once again the alcohol hints at an ABV much lower than 19.5%. I honestly can't believe it. The only evidence of such an ABV is in the warming finish and the body that is evident in the legs in the appearance. The alcohol is masterfully hidden. The finish exhibits alcohol warming, with lingering toffee, bourbon, and maple sugar.

The beer is full bodied with a nice medium level of draft carbonation. I really hope this carbonation level carries through to the bottles. The mouthfeel is creamy, silky, chewy, and at times it is sticky.

All aboard. This is one of the best Imperial Stouts around and you'll just have to deal with it. Black Tuesday is a paragon.

4.62/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to my homies rhertan and RJ for my first BT, most recently again tried with youradhere

A:Poured a big jet black with good carbonation and a brown head.

S: Nose is booze, cocoa, black licorice, hint of vanila and coffee.

T: Up, down, round and round. Every time I sipped it I picked a new note. Milk chocolate, dark chocolate, toasted grains, liquorice, vanilla, coffee, wood. End is sharp, bitter and dry but complex. Booze is well masked.

M: Big feel, well carbonated, lots of taste.
Creamy and hot..pervert..
O: Drinkability is well, good. For the style it is awesome but man is it hot n heavy by the numbers.

4.4/5  rDev -3.3%

Sampled at yet another outrageous tasting over at Dyan's place the other evening. Many thanks again kind sir for cracking open this beauty the other night.

BT pours a blackish brown color with very good head retention and lots of sticky lacing all around. The nose on this bad boy is quite profound, though at least initially, the alcohol was a bit too noticeable. However, that dissipated fairly quickly and I got dark chocolate, milk duds, leather, licorice, dark fruits and a hint of tobacco. Just so much going on with this beer. Flavors on the palate are even better IMHO, with the rich, sweet, chocolate, maple syrup and vanilla front and center. This is a very, very sweet beer, but I never felt as if it was too sweet and cloying on the palate. There's just so much flavor in this excellent beer, and that flavor profile is huge and intense. Mouthfeel is very rich and sweet, with a long, long finish. Carbonation is fairly low, which works well with this beer. Drinkability is the only area where I feel as if I have to deduct some points. This beer is so sweet and boozy, I cannot imagine drinking more then 4 or 5 ounces at a sitting. We split Dyan's bottle amoung 6 good size guys, and we could barely polish off the bottle. It's absolutely the sort of meal that I'd want to drink after a beer (weak joke there), and then only a splash in a nice size brandy snifter.

A couple of thoughts about this beer. This is an extremely impressive beer, one that was an absolute treat to sample. That being said, it really doesn't have any place in my life. Like the DFH WWS and 120 IPA, this is the sort of beer you can drink once in a blue moon, with no need for repeated applications. Not sure when, if ever, I'll want to try this beer again.

4.12/5  rDev -9.5%

I've tasted this several times, many different batches, but this review is from notes at EBF.
A thick black viscous liquid coats the inside of my glass with great legs. Aromas of chocolate, brown sugar, caramel, molasses, raisins and other dark dried fruits, along with a fair amount of ethanol. The flavor is sweet with dark and burnt sugars but that is countered nicely with a present but not overpowering alcohol heat. Roast and chocolate molasses round out the flavor nicely. Thick body with a light level of carbonation and a sweet syrupy mouthfeel. This is a monster of a beer, but its frikin tasty and devilishly deceptive.

3.92/5  rDev -13.8%

Thanks to hopderek for a pour of this bottle.

A: The stout is black, still as night and under siege. An off-white head comes along for the ride but doesn't amount to much.

S: The nose is punctuated by sweet bourbon. Darker stout aromas are present but take a backseat to the barrel.

T: The sweetness of the barrel, vanilla and dark fruits, along with the boozy strength stand out. Along side the barrel, the stout seems to be laiden with dark sugars and molasses, sweet but not cloying. The strength is hard to miss, rich and overpowering in every sip. The darker flavors, roasted as they are, fit in well amongst the sweet barrel flavors.

M: The mouthfeel is sweet, vanilla and stout flavors run strong through the ale. There is plenty of sweetness beyond the barrel, enough to border on Belgian stout territory.

D: Strong? Indeed. A good stout that makes use of its barrel provenance. It's big though, too big to really dig into.

4.23/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

9/18/13 bottling date. into a tulip

pours a pitch black with a mild beige head. smell is big on ABV and malts..slight dark chocolate. the taste is very big on ABV and malty....big on the bourbon....huge body...sipper...mild carbonation.

overall very good..lovely

4.74/5  rDev +4.2%

From 750mL wax-topped bottle to tasting glass
at my 30th Beerthday Bash on 9/23/11
*From notes

Vintage 2010

-- A BIG thanks to baycat for hookin' me up with this one. Cheers, Ryan! --

A: It's not called "Black Tuesday" for nothing. This monster is as dark as the pits of hell. A good, generous pour yields a 1.25 finger head with minimal lacing.

S: Just fantastic. It's boozy, yet there's a focused concentration of dark chocolate malt and toasted tannin. One of the better bouquets I've had the pleasure of encountering.

T: Now I get it. The density of flavor here is unmatched. It packs such an immense amount of wow per ounce - I'm astounded. I found it to be like liquid brownie batter, which is a really, really good thing. Is the 18% ABV detectable? Absolutely, yet it's so well integrated that I have a hard time complaining about it. This is a delicious beer.

M: Not as viscous as I'd expected, yet it doesn't hold the brew back in any way. It's soft and silky, yet the carbonation adds a wonderful layer of texture that enhances the flavor profile of the beer.

O: I didn't want to like The Bruery's Black Tuesday. Really, I went into this assuming I'd be drinking the most overrated ADIS on the planet. Yet from the moment the bouquet hit my nose and the heavenly liquid entered my mouth, it was over. I must concede that yes, this is a top notch Imperial Stout, and worthy of it's many accolades. There isn't a single facet of the beer that I can harshly critique. It's God damn delicious.

To put it simply: this is a masterpiece.

4.04/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Footbalm brought this along with a plethora of rare beers to the weekend RIS tasting... Thanks Eric.. Classy.

No real head as expected.. but it pours like motor oil.. coats the glass with every swirl.

Nose is thick with every element pronounced yet not very melded... dark chocolate syrup.. quite alot of bourbon.. raisins and dark cherries.... oaky in later pours.

Flavor is immediately reminiscent of Bourbon County but with alot more sweetness... boozy brownie batter .. vanilla sugar.. bits of coffee are drowned out by dark sweet fruits drenched in chocolate sauce.. Full bodied with a nice carbonation, but each sip makes me wanna go brush my teeth.. too cloying for my tastes.

Eric.. I appreciate the opportunity ... We had plenty of BT in Denver this year, and while I think it is very interesting, I still view it as more of a novelty.. That said, I REALLY want a bottle or two to hang on to for a few years and see how it melds... it seems like a bit of a mess right now.

3.5/4.5/4/4.5/3.5