Black Tuesday - The Bruery

2011: 18.3% ABV
2012: 19.2% ABV
2013: 18.9% ABV
2014: 19.7% ABV
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,119 | Reviews: 619
4.05/5  rDev -11%

4.05/5  rDev -11%

DVelcich invited a few BAs over to share the bottle he acquired. (Did it cost him a growler of Captain Krunkles? I don't know, but he is a generous souls for allowing a few of us a chance to try it).

I did get a chance to sample this one at Dark Lord Day, but I never got to review it.

I poured this into my Duvel tulip--

It isn't as dark or viscous as I was expecting it to be. It is a very deep brown in color, not black at all, but it has very large bubbles of a tan head that disapaited ather quickly and settled into a little whispy cloud of a thin cap of bubbles... But the bubbles are enormous in size. I did give this a rather vigarous pour to get some kind of head, and I've been swirling it every now and then to see the legs and release some volatiles.

I first smell a really big boozy/whiskey presence. It just has to be the alcohol level-- which is noticable in the beer, but it isn't kicking your ass, it's actually very nice the way the alcohol bite melds in with the choclate and vanilla notes that I'm getting out of this one. A whole bunch of intense dark flavors with a lot of english toffee and even some coffee. Very nice nose, and very delicious. Swirling it around my mouth really opens up that alcohol warming sensation that is working quite well with this brew. On the taste you do get some coffee and some chocolate with a little vanilla and toffee in there as well.

Very nice taste, and surprisingly well-balanced for being as strong as it is. The 8 ozs I had is more than sufficient in terms of how much I would want to drink of this beer. I would honestly have no interest in trying to take down a whole bottle of this beer, but I mean that not as put-down of the beer, but rather a sad comment on the realization that I am in fact a wuss. (At least on this particular day-- where this was opened up 9/10s of the way through a pretty big and bold tasting party).

I do feel lucky to be given another chance to try this beer again, so big props to Dan for inviting me over!

On the mouthfeel, you really get that this a full thick stout, and that it actually is thicker than it looks. It looks thinner than it feels.

As this warms, I am getting even more of that roasted malty goodness.

Overall-- I'm going to say that this is a great beer-- but as far as all the hype-- I think that the ABV is the real reason this has become a bit of a whale. They do a great job creating a flavor profile around the huge ABV, as opposed to trying to cover it up. It is worth trying, and I'd like to see all of the hoarders give up a few bottles here and there to guys willing to let others in on a tasting.

4.52/5  rDev -0.7%

4.58/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev -1.1%

4.65/5  rDev +2.2%

4.25/5  rDev -6.6%

4.38/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

huge thanks to scott for opening this at our last tasting!

750ml capped and waxed bottle, 2011 vintage.

pours out pretty much opaque black, but a bit of brown is noticable on the edges. a nice creamy, dark mocha head that lasted the whole way, bit of legs and lace. i maybe was expecting motor oil considering the abv, but this wasnt at all.

big alcohol in the nose, starts off kind of smooth like a bourbon, but as this warms its almost all solvent booze. also lots of sweet maple syrup, dark fruits, raisons, burnt sugars.

intensely sweet, but i love it! burnt sugar, maple syrup, dark fruits, and a bit of roasted malt are what i pick up the most. the alcohol is definatly there, not really bourbony however, but compared to the aroma, its definatly more subdued.

big huge, syrupy, sticky, sweet mouthfeel. quite sugary in a way, high final gravity im assuming. carbonation feel right.

overall, this was definatly one of the better stouts ive had, different than most. this one focuses more on the maple, sweet, sugary flavors where most focus on the roast. the alcohol may hurt this beer a little, mainly the aroma, but that could age out nicely. cant wait to try chocolate rain!!!!

4.66/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.97/5  rDev +9.2%

Just wow! Neorunner you sent me probably one of the best beers I have ever received trading directly or BIF. I am just blown away by your generous blinded beer. You have humbled me. The bottle is marked share x2. The bottle has a thin black wax wrap.

This beer was shared between 4 people. It was a very fitting and worthy beer for the occasion. The beer was split 4 ways and served in tulip glasses.

A - 4.5 The body of the beer is black and totally impenetrable by light. I could almost mistake this for 40 weight oil. The head was the coloration of nugget from a 3 Muskateers candy bar. The head resolved to a thin ring of foam. No lacing noted on the glass.

S - 5.0 The aroma of bourbon rises out of the bottle when cracked at arms length. At this point if you don't love bourbon its time to walk away. Lucky for me my companions love the bourbon! The aroma is very similar to making good bourbon balls. Cocoa, brown sugar, vanilla, chocolate cake covered in bourbon, a lot of bourbon booze present but not a problem. Someone has masterfully used a bourbon barrel to great effect!

T - 5.0 A brilliant use of a bourbon barrel. Bourbon soaked chocolate cake, figs, dates, raisins, vanilla. Very sweet and darkly roasted malt notes. The alcohol is used as a foil to keep the sweetness in check. Absolutely no harshness noted to the flavor. This only gets better as the beer warms up.

M / D - 5.0 / 5.0 This is a perfectly viscous and thick beer. Very very full bodied. Makes me feel like Mix-Alot. My anaconda dont want none unless you got buns. Baby got Back! This is a perfect beer drinking experience. Literally everything I hope for in a barrel aged RIS. My beer buzz tells me this is 15% +. The actual drinking experience feels about 10 - 12 %.

I mentioned I was blown away by this generous beer offering. Thank you Nate - Neorunner! The rest of the package could be crazy eds barrel aged chili beer and cask Colt .45 I would be completely satisfied.

The reveal: Bruery Black Tuesday. Dude you are a maniac!

4.53/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev -1.1%

4.32/5  rDev -5.1%

2011 vintage. On tap at the Bruery for 2011 Black Tuesday release.

Pours very dark coffee brown, some small bubbles but basically no head. Smell is well integrated bourbon and chocolate, big aroma of dark cocoa powder, some vanilla bean, cola and mocha. Really good stuff. Taste is pretty dry bourbon, mocha/chocolate syrup, some cola, moderate alcohol (but I guess not bad given the ABV), finishing again with a hefty dose of cocoa and also a light espresso bitterness. Very light carbonation and kind of thin/Coca Cola-like body. There's a moderate amount of alcohol burn which kind of overwhelms the light body. Overall, this is a big stout with nicely integrated flavors, improved by the barrel, but lacks body and is a little hot. Still, at 18% this is drinkable enough--surely a miracle of nature.

Between this, Chocolate Rain, and S'More Tuesday, this was my least favorite.

4.75/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.25/5  rDev -6.6%

4.75/5  rDev +4.4%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Black Tuesday from The Bruery