2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Black Tuesday - The Bruery

2010: 18.2% ABV
2011: 18.3% ABV
2012: 19.2% ABV
2013: 18.9% ABV

(Beer added by: OlieIPA on 07-18-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Black Tuesday Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,133 | Reviews: 543 | Show All Ratings:
patm1986

4.65/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

a-pitch Brown. dark brown sugar hue. no head. very minor carbonation.
s-sweet tea, lactose, phenols, hershey's cocoa, choco coverd cherries, corn, cream of wheat.
t-heavily phenolic, sweet peas, sugar cubes, lipton tea, aunt jemima maple, butter, EPIC VANILLA.
m-rich, fatty
OVERALL: beast, beast, beast. for such a massive beer, it's smoother than most. the port qualities are abound, but this baby is barrel aged stout at its extreme best.
marvelous.

03-06-2013 01:58:11 | More by patm1986
mindspin315

4.88/5  rDev +7.7%

Black with the smallest amount of brown bubble head when poured. Bit of brown around the edges where the light hits.

Big alcohol in the nose. Chocolate covered cherries, dark chocolate, oak tannin, toffee, and anise.

Wow first sip the alcohol screams at you. Shocks the nose and burns the chest, but damn is it in a good way. After the first couple sips everything starts to settle in though. Sweetness and touch of roast to start. Overall a sweet sticky flavor. Sweetness really coats the palate. Lots of molasses, brown sugar, leather, dark chocolate, bit of oak/caramel, and dark cherries. Low carbonation and the heat sits right in the chest. I often find that big stouts drink like sweet dessert wines. BT has that aspect to it. The port wine like sweetness is there and the overall way BT drinks is with sweetness.

Black Tuesday is a very interesting and amazing stout. It drinks much like a bourbon/brown liquor blend within a beer. Big alcohol presence that doesn't hide itself or cower away. The alcohol is not masked here, but it doesn't need to be. It's such a good aspect of this beer. Lots of sweet booziness. Of course this beer falls into the hype beer category, but delivers for a reason...it backs itself up in every way.

[99/100]

01-15-2012 08:20:15 | More by mindspin315
Crittervision

4.88/5  rDev +7.7%

a lot of this will probably overlap with beavers below. we enjoyed this one yesterday. a lot.

deep deep black all the way to the edges with a quarter inch head that is darker than tan, nearing brown. incredible (did not end up being the darkest though). the head regenerates wonderfully with just a swirl. and! this is the first time i can say ive appreciated the legs of a beer. that was a fun discovery. not as excessive/impressive as other high alcohol beverages, but there, and pretty, and from a beer.

smell is full of sweetness. milky caramel, bourbon and chocolate. there is a hint of soy sauce for me. i believe beavers said salty in that respect. the heat is more perceptible in the smell than the taste.

sweet everything. man. chocolate, bourbon, cake, cherry tootsie pop when the cherry is mostly gone and its all tootsie roll, molasses minus the tanginess. but then all this sweetness is balanced with a nearly hidden roastiness, moderate (incredible for 19.5%) alcohol, and a bit of a vinous characteristic. at the end of the glass, the last few drops (not even last sip, but last drops) are huge on the molasses (tanginess evident), and booze. that the alcohol waited that long to wake up is phenomenal.

Edit 1: forgot to mention that we found these flavors to lie on a gradient. every flavor blended into the next, there wasnt huge bourbon here, huge chocolate there. it was all just a subtle gradation from one flavor to the next. super duper.

creamy and poofy with carbonation playing its part to keep it fluffy. ive used creamy to describe beers before, but this one makes me think of heavy cream with just the right amount of carbonation to remove most of it from my tongue. wow.

drinkability is insane. it is so easy to forget this is a near-20% abv beer. 20% alcohol, 100% delicious. it is incredibly balanced, generously full of flavor, and delightful in every aspect.

Edit 2: again, forgot to mention that after we had finished our glasses, we were ready to drink anything. this beer wasnt overwhelming in any negative way. we moved on to other beers with no problem, and wouldnt have hesitated to drink more of this one if there was another open bottle in front of us. mmm!!

02-24-2010 00:37:29 | More by Crittervision
Kranders

4.93/5  rDev +8.8%

From notes.

Wow. Let me just put that out there to start. Poured a super deep black, with a nice subtle tan head. Everything you'd expect in the aroma was right there. Big bourbon notes, with that burnt sugar/toffee/caramel scents. One of the best tasting beers I've had in a long time. Utterly complex, full of bourbon, toffee, and hints of vanilla that completely hid the ABV. Nice smooth finish, something truly amazing.

02-17-2012 18:50:57 | More by Kranders
ROBORB

3.83/5  rDev -15.5%

2009 bottle split with 3 friends.

A: This poured dark black with a very thin mocha head. I was surprised that it has this much carbonation.

S: It smelled like a very hot bourbon. I could get some dark malts, soy and some dark fruits as well.

T: The taste was pretty similar to the smell. At first I thought that the alcohol was fairly well hidden. But then, after about 10 seconds or so, the alcohol made its presence known. This went away as my senses got overwhelmed. I was also able to detect some great dark fruits and soy in the taste. It was better than I was anticipating.

M: The mouthfeel was OK. It was a little too heavy for my tastes.

O: I found this to be slightly better than average. The alcohol makes it near impossible to finish by yourself. I figured after 2 years that it would have tamed down some but it was still pretty hot. This might be better in another couple of years. I will re-visit in 2 years and re-rate.

05-22-2011 19:09:45 | More by ROBORB
adkirkish

4.47/5  rDev -1.3%

-Cue up the music from Stanley Kubricks 2001: A Space Odyssey- Or at least that's what I imagine the EPICNESS surrounding this beer would be. So much hype, mystique, rarity, aggravation, and emmotional appeal surrounding this beer. Not to mention this years tickets for this beer sold out in 6 minutes (myself included did not get a ticket - yeah I was one of "those" unfortunate few). So thanks to the Ferm for breaking this one out for GABF war planning party.

A: Poured black w/ a ruby colored bubbly head w/ quick dissipation. Ruby color retains around the edges of the beer.

A: Boozy bourbon, toffee, and caramel. No hop aromatics. No diacetyl or esthers.

F: Sweet Maple syrup, caramel, toffee, and warming to light chocolate notes. Light bourbon flavor in the finish.

M: Heavy body and mouthfeel, low carbonation, w/ slight alcohol warmth. Not necessarily "burning" Drinks smooth and viscous - syrup like.

O: Really? That's It? You just reviewed one of the most EPIC beers ever in ~ 63 words? Yes I did and here is why. This beer tasted pretty straightforward to me: It's sweet and rightfully so for an 19% beer. Comparable to Dark Lord, if you removed the fruit and complex notes, I believe you would have black tuesday. Black Tuesday is boozy and sweet. Did the beer hype around this one blow my mind? Yes...The beer itself? Not so much. Tasty yes, drinkable yes, would I give my first born? No. I'm glad I can put to rest the aggravating ambitions of trying to secure one of these bottles for myself.

09-12-2010 23:16:33 | More by adkirkish
tprokop7

4.18/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thick, black pour with no head. Aroma is sweet and of bourbon. Flavor is very balanced for something this big, very sweet and malty but not as hot as I would have expected. Overall a great brew, but I'm not sure it was worth all the hype that surrounded it.

02-16-2010 23:54:32 | More by tprokop7
antilogic

4.88/5  rDev +7.7%

On tap at the Bruery both at Allocation sale time, and at release on 10/27. First review deleted due to site problems.

Jet black, opaque, dark tan head, that really sticks to a glass as you roll it around. Smell is bourbon, some coffee, some chocolate, roasted malts, and sugars.

Taste is not overpowering in borubon, which is great; it just adds to the complexity. Definitely some chocolate and a very high amount of sugar considering the ABV. Not much hotness/alcohol. Don't find much oak there.

Carbonation is well done (on tap at least), and is truly necessary to make this a drinkable beer. I'm not one for syrupy beers that are not highly carbonated (not overly fond of 120min or flat angel's share).

If I didn't start to feel it after a few pours, I would not believe the 19.5% ABV. Impressive.

10-29-2009 01:01:27 | More by antilogic
JWD

4.88/5  rDev +7.7%

Captured in a recent trade, big thank you here.

A-Death black as it poured out with a very heavy body to it, very thick looking. I gave it a good hard pour to see if a head would develop at all, minimal head did develop and it disappeared quickly leaveing a ring around the edge of the glass.

S-Very different than any other BB aged stout i have had before, the bourbon was very mild with a heavy chocolate cake sweetness. Overall i am very impressed how this does not smell like alcohol at all at 18.2%

T-Should be a 6 for just how much flavor this has!! I have NEVER had a beer stick to my tongue and mouth like this did, i could taste it for what seemed like 15 minutes in my mouth (this grossed out the wife when she tried) after a small sip. The best part here is it still was very balanced with a TON of different flavors destroying my tastebuds.

M-THICK and RICH, coates your mouth like no other beer can or could!!!

D-For 18.2% i would say pretty damn good.

Overall this beer has always had a ton of hype and i can tell you that it has exceeded all of my expectations, this probably was one of the most epic beer moments for me. I can say one thing for sure and that is "I will be at the next release of this beer".

12-12-2010 00:33:20 | More by JWD
decadance

4.68/5  rDev +3.3%

Much thanks to kzoobrew for bring this one to the tasting!

A - For a small (4-5oz pour) there was a significant amount of tan head on top of the dark black base. Head dissipates slowly, and then a syrupy viscosity coats the glass.

S - Booze. It dominates. Hints of chocolate and brown sugar. Overall, the tone is booze and sweet.

T - Highly bourbon, but shockingly smooth for the high abv. Some chocolate around in the middle, and some interesting fruit tones in the end that are a bit difficult to pick out. Wonderful.

M - Exactly what you want from a big bodied stout. Its entirely full and creamy, and coats the mouth.

D - My wife could not finish hers (too boozy), so my 5ozs turned to around 9ozs. After that much, I was done, but the booze began to dominate. I dinged it a couple points just because of that.

02-20-2011 16:44:27 | More by decadance
bgramer

Washington

3.53/5  rDev -22.1%

After having Black Tuesday at the HOTD dock sale, I looked forward to opening this bottle at a tasting with friends last night so I could give it a proper review.

The beer appears black in my glass fading into a clear brown hue on the edges as I hold it up to the light. I expected it to be a little thicker and more opaque in it's color.

It smells sweet like dark fruits, roasty and oaked. The taste is just like how it smells. There's a dark fruity, bourbon, and vanilla presence that becomes more prominent. Definitely some woody dark chocolate and caramel notes. The mouthfeel is thinner than I expected but the flavors are integrated well which helped mask the 19.5% ABV.

It's quite good and extremely drinkable but is it the best? No, IMHO, but it is definitely one of the better stouts out there.

12-07-2009 05:35:09 | More by bgramer
bartle

Ontario (Canada)

4.35/5  rDev -4%

Thanks Eric!

This pours like motor oil. Really rich dark black, with ruby high-lights on the sides in the light. A large mocha tan head that quickly fades and dies off.

The nose was full of molasses, some chocolate and spice, toasty and smokey, raisins, espresso and cocoa, some real light red fruit coming from the alcohol. This is just a great aroma. Hard to take my nose out of the glass.

The taste follows but with more complex flavours. Super rich, chocolatey, molasses stewed plums, dates and raisins, some vanilla hints in the dark espresso roastyness. There is a cool toasted coconut like taste that swims around in this one. Some smokey notes are also present. This is a little sweet, but still fairly dry for the alcohol content and complexity.

The body is oily, sweet, thick, slimy and moderate carbonation. Not too hot.

An amazing sipping beer. Really really rich and inviting with flavours coming out as it warms. I think this is a winner. It does live up to all the hype. a "Wow" beer.

04-12-2010 01:14:38 | More by bartle
DrewOSU

4.05/5  rDev -10.6%

Shared by Newtonty, thanks man!

A: The pour has a black base, with a swirl of dark roasted head. Lacing is a viscous oil that coats the side of the glass.

S: Stinging bourbon attacks the nose, followed by an onslaught of sweet malts. You can tell this beer is going to be massive just by smelling it

M/T: Medium, oily body coats the tongue and the roof of the mouth. Next comes the sting from the high APV drying out the pallet, only to be finished by huge maple flavor. The maple flavor is very sweet and overwhelming after the 3rd swallow. The taste is too reminiscent of other big bourbon stouts out there.

D: Huge alcohol, malts and maple. Couldn't drink too much of this. It appears to me that the brewer threw everything in the book at this beer and left nothing left to chance. Huge alcohol, huge bourbon, huge malts. There is nothing subtle about this whatsoever. Doing so, I think it lost some appeal with me. I think its smoother than other big dogs out there, but I am not getting on the hype train with this one.

11-13-2009 00:13:56 | More by DrewOSU
vince4953529

4.58/5  rDev +1.1%

After standing more than four hours in line in order to acquire this treasure, with limited fund, I purchased a lone bottle. A month later, with the combination of the occurrence of Thanksgiving, I finally decided to crack open this much-talked-about monster.

Pour into a tulip class, the color was as opaque with a healthy dose of head, even with its high. Smell of powerful bourbon and coffee as soon as the cap dropped.

There wasn't any alcohol burn in my stomach as the I swallowed my first sip. It was a bit sweeter than I've considered ideal, nevertheless it was extremely drinkable given that this brew is near 20% abv.

Easy to go down, but rather hard for me to finish the whole bottle in a timely manner. I opened it on the wee hour of Thanksgiving and continued to sip away the next morning.

11-27-2009 17:22:27 | More by vince4953529
gueuzer

Colorado

4.2/5  rDev -7.3%

Several samples on tap at the GABF. Late in the night when they stopped serving this I spotted a wasted volunteer (in a sombrero) just pouring himself glass after glass of this and slamming it. I am 100% sure he had no idea what he was drinking. Priceless.

App- Black as night. Motor oil in a glass with a thick brown head. Beautiful.

SM- Bourbon, espresso, vanilla, chocolate. Very sweet.

Ta- Very similar to the smell, but with some heat. Have to say people overdo the heat aspect in their reviews. Had I not know the ABV, I would have guessed this was ~9%. The oakiness really plays nice with all the other flavors.

MF- The super subtle carbonation cuts the sweetness beautifully. You keep tasting this long after you are done.

DR- A beautiful sipper.

I don't know if any beer deserves the hype that this one has gotten, but it sure does it's best. Great beer.

09-20-2010 15:54:58 | More by gueuzer
cptierney

4.72/5  rDev +4.2%

So, we drove eight hours to Orange County for this bad boy. Big Ups to my main man eliottJW for getting an early allotment and sharing this experience with me.

Poured from a Bruery Champagne bottle into a Russian River Tulip.

The color on this is surprising. While black, there are still hints of light around the edges making a sort of deep brown appearance. A solid pour yielded a one finger width of quickly receding vibrant brown foam. Everything about the pour put any unease about a lack of carbonation at rest. As I drank the glass down there was no lacing left behind.

The nose on this beer frankly frightens me. It's that figgy pudding, ten loaves of bread in a bottle malt punch that I will forever associate with Goose Island's BCS, a beer I do not enjoy. There's the lovely bourbon hit too but it is swallowed by malts. In a nod to the subjectivity of reviews I will note that the smell is full and colorful with a blunt shape. I get a little of the bourbon and maaayyybeee some licorice but ultimately it's a blast of bread.

The mouthfeel is luscious. Velvety liquid coats my palate but doesn't get jammy in the process. The only note here would be related to the carb bite. I would have actually enjoyed an even more viscous brew especially as the bubbles kept reminding me of just how alcoholic this beer is. That said I'd rather take the bite than have a totally flat beer.

The taste on this beast is stupid, and should be illegal. After the abuse of the nose I was expecting the hottest alcohol hit ever, but was met instead by a sumptuous maiden of flavor. There are the dark fruits I crave in a RIS, some prune and maybe a hit of raisin like sweetness. There's also that wonderful Abyss like hint of candied sugars. But the thing that sets BT apart is the incredibly smooth and balanced flavor of bourbon that pervades the quaff. I have to force my tongue upward to taste any bittering on its sides and it is there like I expected, keeping a lid on an extremely sweet beer.

If this astronomically high ABV is correct I can't believe how drinkable this brew is. Clearly meant to be sipped and enjoyed like a distilled beverage, I have never wanted to drink so much of such a potentially dangerous beverage. Hats of to the Bruery. I count myself extremely lucky to try this rare treat.

12-01-2009 23:09:32 | More by cptierney
boothbeer

4.2/5  rDev -7.3%

Reviewed from notes. Thanks to pecorasc for splitting this 3 ways

A: Pours Dark Black. Medium tan head, but NO lacing. Looks like it came out a little thin.

S: One word: Molasses! dark fruits come through and I pick up alcohol, but not the 19.5%. Nice bourbon and vanilla aromas. Smells a lot like the 08 Darkness I had a little while back.

T: Very sweet. Lots of alcohol/bourbon in the front. Dark Fruit appears in the finish with molasses and vanilla. I like the sweetness, but if you dont, this beer is not for you. Also, the alcohol burn is there.

M: Surprisingly thin. I was hoping for more body with this and some nice chewy thickness.

D: Its sweet and high alcohol, so you cant drink a lot of this, but overall, I thought my 3rd of the bottle serving was perfect.

05-11-2010 02:30:41 | More by boothbeer
vinny21bal

4.55/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

What a monster. Black tar stout. Big booze on this. But it really blends nicely with everything else going on. Great mouth feel to it. Really one of the better stouts out there. It's kind of on its own as far as uniqueness. This is a big intense beer. Don't recommend opening it by yourself. The Bruery just kills it time and time again.

11-19-2013 05:00:07 | More by vinny21bal
gregmoscetti

4.97/5  rDev +9.7%

19.5%. It is absurd how delicious and drinkable this beer was considering its beastly nature. For such a booze bomb, I was left with a very refined taste. One of if not the best imperial stout I have ever had. I really hope the bottle holds up to the draft.

I can say that the Bruery hadn't impressed me until my trip there in which I got to try Black Tuesday, White Oak and Papier. I am a believer.

07-27-2009 05:26:21 | More by gregmoscetti
bmanning

4.68/5  rDev +3.3%

Thanks gford217 for bringing this to the amazing tasting at Brick Store Pub last night. Also much thanks goes out to portia99 and sonicdescent for generously hooking me up with bottles. What a treat!
Thick and syrupy pour into a tasting glass - appearance is black with a thin dark brown head.
Smell is heavy on the bourbon but there is also so much chocolate, vanilla and molasses.
Taste is amazing - there is so much going on that it's hard to pinpoint all the flavors. There is obviously a lot of bourbon, chocolate, and vanilla, but in the background there is brown sugar, tobacco, leather, dark fruits (plum, cherry), coffee.
Mouthfeel is exceptional - it's so thick that it coats the mouth very well, and the creaminess is wonderful.
Drinkability is high considering it's over 19% ABV - that is hidden very well. However, I don't think I could drink more than 8 oz of this beer in one sitting. This is a beer meant for tastings since 4oz is plenty.
Overall, this is an exceptional barrel aged stout and one of my favorites now.

12-30-2009 16:09:10 | More by bmanning
MrFootstones

4.43/5  rDev -2.2%

A: Black as night with a barely there ring of mahogany nighlight when tilted and held to the light. Brown head reduces to a thin foam cap. Sexy ass legs with brown bubbles

S: Bourbon, vanilla, roast, booze, oak, chocolate, coconut. Reminds me a bit of GI BCS and the Firestone Walker anniversary beers. Licorice and dried figs.

T: Sweeet, bourbon, roast and musty wet oak. Again I am reminded of BCS. Booze finally becomes apparent as it gets to room temp. Also huge dark fruit as it gets warm.

M: Rich and velvety, nice appropriate carbonation. Oily and slick.

D: I split this beer with three other people and the 6 ounce pour was perfect.
This was never a chore but it was quite intense.

01-23-2010 01:59:46 | More by MrFootstones
rmalinowski4

4.95/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured into my Mikasa snifter.

Pours a deep black with very little head. Almost no lacing.

Smell is vanilla and bourbon. Smells soo decadent. Incredible.

Taste is incredible. Vanilla more vanilla and the great bourbon. Soo smooth. Heaven

Mouthfeel is decadent. Thick smooth, light carbonation. Excellent.

Overall this is my second favorite stout of all time. Simply superb. Makes me want to buy a reserve society membership just for this.

11-12-2011 04:15:47 | More by rmalinowski4
xenjoiii

4.05/5  rDev -10.6%

2011 Vintage (18.3% ABV)

A: Dark as night with a medium brown head: think caramel or toasted almond. About two fingers that quickly receded to a ring of film that rested around the walls of the glass.

S: Initially the nose is dominated by bourbon (really pleasant vanilla notes) and a considerable amount of heat; there is a decent amount of oak that lingers in the background.

T: Big bourbon notes upfront, which are followed by a considerable amount of bitter dark chocolate/caramel sweetness; a bit of dark fruit is showcased out the back (raisins/figs/sweet plum).

M: light carbonation with a syrupy consistency.

O: "Its too much of a heavy muffin." However, there are really interesting flavors being showcased in both the taste and aroma. If the beer was toned down a notch in the alcohol department, it would really allow all of the other aspects to shine at their full potential. One last note: as the beer began to warm, the sweetness increased exponentially.

*Anything in "quotes" was said by my girlfriend.

06-06-2012 02:46:25 | More by xenjoiii
beerad666

4.75/5  rDev +4.9%

What a rare treat it was to open this up.

It pours out a thin motor oil, it doesn't have the thickness you see in Dark Lord. A thin brown head tops off the top but fades away quickly. No lacing but it does leave a slight brown film on the glass. The bourbon aroma smacks you hard in the face even from a distance. There is also a dark fruit coming out with the chocolate. Almost no roast aroma. At first sip this beer tastes just like it smells. So well balanced. Bourbon, chocolate and a slight apple tart. Once your mouth is coated with that alcohol you can really get into this beer and see that it's just amazing. The year in the barrel has made this incredibly smooth. Which makes it one of the most drinkable Imperial Stouts I've had. The 19.5% ABV if correct, is hidden very well. One thing that I'm missing in this is the coffee or the roasted malts.

01-24-2010 19:16:27 | More by beerad666
JoeySchlitz

Colorado

4.4/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This review is for the 2010 version.

After opening the bottle, it gushed slowly over the top and onto the counter top, eventually falling to the sheet vinyl flooring below. This was not expected, as the bottle's owner was away rinsing out his Hopmonk snifter, readying it for a splash of Black Tuesday to celebrate the New Year. After cleaning up the mess, a healthy pour was allocated to both the bottle's owner and compadre.

The beer sitting in front of me mirrored the night sky and seemed to reflect the chasm of the atmosphere overhead. It looked both still and alive in the same instance and seemed indifferent to the cold evening air.

In order to wash away the dinner smell of braised short ribs, I buried my nose in the glass. A wave of bourbon alcohol, warm fudge and mocha from Pete's coffee house greeted me. Another sniff revealed strong vanilla extract, spices, cinnamon and more bourbon. This is something that one could dive into and swim around for awhile, and a few laps are necessary.

A quick swig immediately made me aware of the high alcohol content and that 18.5% wasn't something that is quickly imbibed, but savored over an evening, which it was. Further sips revealed sherry, port, chocolate, vanilla, cinnamon, bourbon, a sweet brewers concoction of malt and sugar, all spice and a similar flavoring that reminded me of Melange 3, or vice versa as this was a component in that blend.

There was a cold front moving through the peninsula and a thick, wool blanket was needed to stay warm. The beer served as a secondary heater, heavy and viscous, helping to keep the cold night air at bay as it infiltrated the old single-pane windows. The minimal carbonation was appropriate for a beer of this style and seemed in tune with the Victorians that line the streets here in San Francisco, old but still relevant, almost flat but not quite yet.

I think that 2011 will be a good year. And for a year that starts out with a glass of Black Tuesday, it has already eclipsed the previous year.

01-01-2011 09:28:41 | More by JoeySchlitz