Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Black Tuesday - The Bruery

2012: 19.2% ABV
2013: 18.9% ABV
2014: 19.7% ABV
Reviews: 613 | Hads: 3,306

Appearance: black and syrupy with a dark brown head a couple cm thick.

Smell: bourbon molasses vanilla chocolate and a slight hint of booze

Taste: chocolate bourbon and strong molasses followed by trailing notes of vanilla. this is one hell of a beer. had a fair amount of alcohol burn when it was cold, but after warming up alcohol was barely noticeable

Mouth-feel: thick and a tad bit syrupy. slight carbonation.

Drinkability: Quite amazing how well this drank for being 19.5%.

Overall: This is one hell of a beer. i felt that this beer could never live up to its hype, but i was wrong. (595 characters)

4.42/5  rDev -0.9%

Special thanks to Mike for bringing this to last nights tasting. Out of a snifter, 2010 bottle.

A- Pitch black. Little to no head, and light ring remains. No lacing, but a film coats the inside of the glass.

S- Sweet and boozy. Some notes of dark fruit and bourbon. Some oak, soy, and chocolate.

T- This stuff is seriously sweet. Strong notes of bourbon and dark malt and molassas. I get some oak and chocolate as well, plus some coffee notes. As I was drinking it, I couldn't help but think to myself "This tastes a lot like Sugar Daddies"

M- Definitely a little cloying, but the body and carbonation were spot on. Not too thick, and surprisingly drinkable for the ABV.

O- Overall, a great beer but maybe a little over hyped. It is so sweet, I just couldn't picture myself drinking too much more than I had. A very nice sipper, and a great beer to have tried.

-GFunk (873 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +9.2%

2009 Vintage Poured into my Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary glass and shared with a friend.

This beer absolutely lives up to the hype and is worth seeking out by any means necessary. I have never had a beer at this high ABV (19.5%) and been able to detect very little of the booze. You do have to drink it slowly, because of how heavy it goes down and just for the purpose of enjoying every last sip. My friend and I both agree that this is like a fudge cake/brownie wrapped into one of the most unique and exceptional beers you can have of this style. It is without a doubt a special occasion beer and one worthy of that occasion. I think the year of age on it as well had some to do with the drinkability. (707 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +7.6%

Had 2 tastes at the Reserve Society Event. Poured into wine tasting glass.

A- Great black, dark brown edge color with a nice tan head that dissappears quicly. The body on this thing is just awesome, leaves a thick coating on the glass.

S- HEAVY. Sweet vanilla bourbon with nice chocolate malts, just a great beer!!!

T- Sweet sugar, chocolate, and some nice candied fruits, molasses, some very nice anise flavors. Then it begins to move to some smooth Oaky vanilla bourbon flavors, slight alcohol finish.

M- HUGE, medium/light carbonation, smooth creamy mouthfeel. Couldn't tell it was 19.5% alcohol.

D- Great but I don't think I could drink too much of this stuff, it's a meal in a bottle.

All in all I need to acquire more of this beer, like copius amounts of it, because this is just the best beer I have ever had. Thanks Patrick and The Bruery gang. (858 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2011 vintage. Poured at room temperature into my Bell's tulip at the Adventyres in Homebrewing Teach a Friend to Brew Day.

A: Standard for the style. Deep, dark black. Some mocha colored head.

S: Bourbon and sweet, sweet chocolate.

T: Wonderfoul, boozy bourbon on the nose. Very sweet. I love my stouts to be sugary messes, but this one is almost too sweet.

M: Medium body with just the right amount of carbonation. I would not mind if it was a little thicker.

O: So glad I got 5 bottles of this year's vintage. Can't wait to do a side by side with my 2010 bottle. (571 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Opened a 2013 bottle. Shared with friends.

A- pours pitch black with little head that fades, no lacing.

S- At first open and pour there were faint chocolate notes giving way to dark fruits and booze as it warmed.

T- Served slightly chilled, dark fruits and slight chocolate notes. As warms dark fruit and booze start to come out becoming very prevalent.

M- very thick, fills the pallet and goes down smooth.

O- this was well worth the KBS I traded for it. This easily goes up with the best barrel aged stouts easily available each year. (542 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +11.4%

Apperearance: black w/brown head

Smell: rich bourbon, vanilla, chocolate, sweet brown sugar.

Taste: malt, coffee, chocolate, toastiness. plum/prune, port, bourbon, vanilla, oakiness, brown sugar and caramel. Complex, balanced, drinkable.

Mouth: Very thick and flavorful all the way down. Not much alcohol taste or burn at all amazingly.

Overall: The best IS I've ever had. Since it's my favorite style that makes it my favorite beer I've ever had.
I'm shocked by the abv. Way more drinkable than any other beer of this strength I've had, and more drinkable than many beers of half this strength, which is why I awarded a perfect score for drinkability.
I've had KBS, BS, BCS, peche mortel, speedway, stone RIS, and this beats them all.
I have not had darkness, dark lord, or DFH WWS, so cannot compare, but have 2 out of 3 in the cellar so will note on comparisons when I pop them. (886 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Warning: Extremely delicious if you like bourbon-barrel aged beers

A: Black with caramel head, recedes fast
S: Bourbon, toffee, sugar, vanilla
T: Vanilla, bourbon, dark fruits
F: Very nice mouthfeel
O: Something really special if you get can get your hands on it, a great base beer for all their variants. (307 characters)

4.43/5  rDev -0.7%

Motor oil black pour with a loose brown head. The aroma is heavily charred oak and smoky bourbon with notes of vanilla bean, 100% cacao chocolate and boozy dark fruit. The begins with bitter dark espresso and blends to bourbon, smoke, and oak. It finishes with lingering dark chocolate, a dark fruit liquor, and a hint of amaretto. The FULL body is oily feeling with a moderate carbonation level and a big alcohol burn. (419 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +9.2%

Finally getting around to rating this one; shared with a group at a recent tasting.

A--Very black; no reading the newspaper through this one! A little bit of a head with minimal lacing.

S--Chocolate and bourbon.

T--Bourbon, chocolate, and oak. WONDERFUL taste.

M--Thick with just the right amount of carbonation.

D--I say it's great, though most would disagree due to the high alcohol content. I counter that by saying just share it with someone or sip on this one for an hour or more while watching a good movie, game, etc. GREAT beer. (541 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A big thanks to Dreadnaught33 for procuring this bottle from a friend and allowing some of us to try it! I got a generous 4-5 oz. pour off the bat into a Bruery snifter.

A: Pours very black fluid (this beer isn't unbelievably black, it's just mostly black) with slight mahogany brown highlights around the edges. A light tan cap appears briefly but dissipates quickly to a thin ring. Handsome presentation indeed!

S: The smell is very powerful and forced me to bellow in delight as I took a whiff! Big bourbon notes coupled with vanilla and oak woodiness support a malt aroma of dark caramel and chocolate. I am getting very little, if any, roastiness from this. It is mostly a sweeter style. There is a slight unexpected tinge of teriyaki as we discussed at the table.

T: Molasses, Grade C maple syrup, chocolate malts all come to mind in this big flavored beer. The bourbon is present but not intrusive. Vanilla and Oak notes compliment the flavor nicely. Again, no roastiness available which is somewhat disappointing to me. The teriyaki is also somewhat of a distraction. Medium alcohol heat is present in the finish.

M: Full bodied beer representative of the style with a slightly slick mouthfeel. It is probably very dextrinous. Medium sweet finish.

D: For most part the beer is fairly drinkable at 18+% ABV. Pleasant flavors abound however, the beer is fairly sweet, not quite cloying, but getting there. The alcohol in the finish is also somewhat of a turn off.

This is a great beer, but I think it is over-hyped. It would probably be in my top-10 of stouts, but not top 5. (1,587 characters)

4.96/5  rDev +11.2%

2013 vintage:
Good lord this is a beast of a beer.

A- Not super impressive. Typical high ABV stout; little to no head. Basically pitch black, but not the darkest I've seen.
S- GOOD GOD. The aroma on this thing is incredible. This was done side-by-side with BCBS, which smelled simple and boring compared to this thing (and I'm a BCBS fanboy). Sweet vanilla, charred oak, bourbon, licorice. Unbelievable.
T- I was worried that the taste wouldn't live up to the aroma, but there is no worries here. Wave after wave of dark fruits, chocolate, sweet vanilla, and bourbon. This is not a beer that will "sneak up on you." This beer lets you know its going to dominate you from the beginning.
M- Typical high ABV stout. Pours thick, though nothing like TenFIDY. Low carbonation. Sticky as hell, but smooth. Foams well when swished in the mouth.

O- Need I say more? Best BBA Stout I've ever had hands down. This thing is a monster, so it may not be for everyone, but if you are looking for something to blow you away, this'll do it. (1,027 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -12.3%

Popped a bottle of this at pre ebf training with a few fellow BA's

A-black. oil. not too much of a head, but more than i expected for a 19.5% abv beer

S-bourbon overpowering, as per usual with the style. lots of chocolatey notes as well, although much harder to notice than i wouldve liked because of all of the bourbon

T-WAY too much sugar IMO, honestly kinda burned my throat on the way down--but not because of it being too hot, because it was just so sweet/rich. also huge amounts of chocolate again, really nice chocolate flavor, not AS bourbon-forward as the smell would have made me think

M-thick, thick, thick. like a freakin smoothie-but in a good way.

D-for being 19.5%, i guess one could say its very drinkable, but at the same time i had trouble getting down my glass because of the sugary burning aspect of it-just way too rich and sugary for me.

Overall it's a good beer, pretty impressive, but nowhere near the "god" of all beers like people say. Wouldn't go out of my way to have it again, happy i got a chance to try it though. (1,051 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -7.6%

2011 Vintage poured into a Founders tulip

A: Blacker than a voodoo midnight with a light tan head that fell quickly away.

S: Nice sweet bourbon and strong port-like notes. Chocolate syrup moves in there, too.

T: This is a very sweet beverage. I find lots of chocolate brownies or syrup, a touch of soy here and there, and slight caramel notes. The bourbon is kind of hard to find amidst everything else that is going on. The heat is pretty high at this point and finishes into strong notes of port.

M: The mouthfeel was touch disappointing, but with the high alcohol I should not be surprised. There is a lingering sweetness that transcends taste and is strongly reminiscent of port.

O: I am happy to try this one, but I don't really want more than a 6 oz serving. I think that this is fine piece of work, however it is not really my bag. (844 characters)

4.86/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I would have liked a little more head to this one, but I cannot really complain for something 19+ to tasty this amazing. so rich, smooth, and easy to drink. Just WOW (167 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +2.7%

After standing more than four hours in line in order to acquire this treasure, with limited fund, I purchased a lone bottle. A month later, with the combination of the occurrence of Thanksgiving, I finally decided to crack open this much-talked-about monster.

Pour into a tulip class, the color was as opaque with a healthy dose of head, even with its high. Smell of powerful bourbon and coffee as soon as the cap dropped.

There wasn't any alcohol burn in my stomach as the I swallowed my first sip. It was a bit sweeter than I've considered ideal, nevertheless it was extremely drinkable given that this brew is near 20% abv.

Easy to go down, but rather hard for me to finish the whole bottle in a timely manner. I opened it on the wee hour of Thanksgiving and continued to sip away the next morning. (808 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Small amount had at the recent BA tasting in Portland. Someone earlier described this beer as liquid chocolate cake and I think that was my experience as well. There was almost no alcohol present in the nose, and exceptionally well hidden in the beer, where I also became another one of the people wondering how that happens at 19%. Everything else I have ever had in that range had an alcohol burn even after a few years of aging, but this didn't at all. The taste REALLY fills every corner of the mouth with a chewy sticky sweetness that is balanced by enough barrel flavors to keep it more than pleasant. The mouthfeel was the most memorable component of the beer for me.

No way could anyone really enjoy a full bottle of this alone, so how about crowing Black Tuesday the best beer of all time in a new "dinner party dessert beer" category? (846 characters)

4.29/5  rDev -3.8%

Had on tap at The Bruery.
It's an Imperial Stout and 19.5%! It poured pitch black, hence the name, and smelled of: vanilla, dark chocolate, malt and bourbon. It tasted like molasses, brown sugar, chocolate malt, prunes, raisins, espresso, slight anise and an oaky bourbon finish, which actually wasn't that strong of an alcohol burn considering it's 19.5%! All in all, it was delicious. (386 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +0.2%

Served from a .750 into a snifter. Part of the fellow BA CosmicEvan Tasting session.

Appears like night fudge. Little to know head.

Smells like gasoline, lightning, and blackouts. Holy moly
that's a high abv!

Tastes like deep anise and prunes and fig.

Mouthfeel is very heavy duty. It almost has a port like exit.

Overall an amazing beer. I really enjoyed this and would love to have it again. (403 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -8.5%

750mL bottle 2010 batch, poured into snifter reviewed on 8/27/11

A: Pours a dark brown, not black as the name seems to imply with no head or lacing left around glass, which is to be expected for a beer this big.

S: Lots of alcohol which is hard to get past. Hints of toffee, chocolate and bourbon are detectable behind all of the alcohol.

T: Lots of roasted malt with toffee and chocolate notes with oak, vanilla and some coconut from the bourbon barrels. Lots of alcohol.

M: Very full body, low to moderate carbonation and finishes very sweet.

O: Very unique brew, too much alcohol in the nose takes away from the experience but tastes quite good, especially as it warms up. Nice warming after each sip.. (710 characters)

Fantastic stout. One of the most surprising aspects of this beer is that despite the high alcohol content, it is not overly boozy. It has a nice smell and is really smooth. One of the best stouts I have had. (210 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -8.5%

Much thanks to Adam for busting this out at our tasting.

Pours a jet black with almost no head, not surprising, looks intimidating, all the rumors must be true....

Aroma is some vanilla and oak, a pretty good bit of gooze on the nose. Roast malt comes through in a big way. Pretty hot and equally as intimidating as the appearance.

Taste is big and intense, very hot. Vanilla is evident, along with a big roast character. It's surprisingly sweet, from beginning to end.

Mouthfeel is extremely thick and it really coats the mouth and lingers long after the sip. I think this one will age well but its kind of hot and intense now. Without the hype, I doubt it would get such high numbers. (690 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +7.6%

Thanks to Kaiser81 for opening this at the recent tasting he hosted on 2/27. This was the first beer opened among many opened that night, so the notes and palate were fresh.

Poured into my Delirium Tremens snifter glass

A - Thick, pitch black, syrupy with a small layer of mocha bubbles. Lacing doesn't stick to the glass. Just by looking at it, you know it's going to be big and heavy.

S - Chocolate and bourbon dominate. And the chocolate is extensive...there's some cocoa powder, milk, and lots of dark chocolate. It's very rich, like liquid fudge and bourbon mixed. There is just a little bit of an alcohol smell on the back end. I think I served it too cold, as I've had a lot of other smells other times when it was a bit warmer.

T - Wow!! Bourbon notes mixed with dark chocolates, like truffles. There is just a bit of booze after it warms up, and maple comes out as well. Deliciousness! Still makes my knees weak every time I taste it.

M - heavy body mixed with carbonation. I don't think you can expect much more from a beer like this.

D - How is 18.5% mixed into a beer this good and drinkable? It's truly amazing, and I wish I could drink this all the time.

This is the third time I've had it, and it still is just as awesome as if I had waited 4 hours in line to get my bottle allotment. (1,306 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -17.5%

Had on tap at the release party Nov 27.

Poured a nice jet black with small tan head. A swirl of the glass left a thick residue on the side. Awesome.

Smelled of bourbon and dark fruit. I am almost able to get drunk off inhaling this stuff , its so hot..

One sip and you realize this isnt an ordinary beer. There is plenty of stout style flavors in this ; Coffee, chocolate, bourbon, a bit of a grainy flavor as well, like a chewy nutty taste. However the alc% just bites right through all of it at times when i wish it hadn't. The flavors are just too big all around at this time, an d i wonder how this will age.

Mouthfeel is just about right, as is isnt too thick like bourbon county.

One 4 oz taster and i was feelin pretty buzzed, i couldnt drink a whole bottle alone, or even 2 people probably. It's like drinking liquor with alot more flavor than usual.

Overall I am glad i didnt spend 30$ on a bottle because this to me isn't as good as say The Abyss, and thats 12$. (978 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +4.3%

Much thanks to kzoobrew for bring this one to the tasting!

A - For a small (4-5oz pour) there was a significant amount of tan head on top of the dark black base. Head dissipates slowly, and then a syrupy viscosity coats the glass.

S - Booze. It dominates. Hints of chocolate and brown sugar. Overall, the tone is booze and sweet.

T - Highly bourbon, but shockingly smooth for the high abv. Some chocolate around in the middle, and some interesting fruit tones in the end that are a bit difficult to pick out. Wonderful.

M - Exactly what you want from a big bodied stout. Its entirely full and creamy, and coats the mouth.

D - My wife could not finish hers (too boozy), so my 5ozs turned to around 9ozs. After that much, I was done, but the booze began to dominate. I dinged it a couple points just because of that. (820 characters)

Black Tuesday from The Bruery