Black Tuesday - The Bruery

2015: 19.9% ABV
Reviews: 625 | Hads: 3,395

750 ML into a tulip/ Consumed on 10-28-09

Review #200!

P: Completely light-rejecting with barely a few stray bubbles on top, even after an extremely vigorous pour. All that was left was a micro-thin halo on top and some dark brown stains on the side of the glass. After a vigorous swirl, however, I was able to conjure up a 1/2 inch soapy head of dark cappuccino-colored foam. I was really hoping to see a big dollop of foam on top of this beast, but at 19.5% I guess it's understandable. The score reflects my slight disappointment in this department, though.

A: This is, undoubtedly, the best aroma from a RIS I've come across yet! The bourbon isn't at all boozy and messy like some of the other barrel-aged stouts out there. Instead, it's really refined and well-integrated into the rest of the profile of the nose. Other aromas bursting from the glass include: deeply roasted malts, chocolate fudge, maple, wood, vanilla, and dark fruits. Awesome!

T: The first sip reveals an impossibly deep roasted malt bill that just envelops you in its flavor. Oozing from all 20 of the malts supposedly present here is chocolate fudge cake, vanilla, caramel, molasses, leather, maple wood, and of course, bourbon. Much more dark fruits are in here than I expected to find that remind me of dates, figs, and black cherries that add yet more complexity. Once again, the bourbon isn't alcoholic and messy on the palate, but it does warm the back of the throat, chest, and belly with each and every swallow. Finishes sweet and leaves a sweet aftertaste that hangs on for an eternity. If this ain't a 5, I don't know what is.

M: The term "full-bodied" just doesn't do it justice. Black Tuesday is incredibly thick, glassy smooth, perfectly creamy, and absolutely chewy as hell. There is no liquid that has ever passed my lips that even comes close to feeling this incredibly viscous and oily.

Notes: After standing in line for 4 1/2 hours in a dark, cold, wind-swept alley to obtain this beer, I became increasingly skeptical if the beer could ever live to all the hype. As hard as I tried to find a chink in the Black Tuesday armor, the only thing I could come up with was the lack of head after the initial pour. Smells incredible, tastes phenomenal, and makes Goose Island Bourbon County Stout feel like a porter! As for its drinkability, the 19.5% is hidden so damn well that drinking an entire bottle is not nearly as cumbersome as it might sound in theory. No doubt it's a sipper to be reckoned with, but it went down much more easily than I thought it would. Two thumbs way up!

4.82/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Warning: Extremely delicious if you like bourbon-barrel aged beers

A: Black with caramel head, recedes fast
S: Bourbon, toffee, sugar, vanilla
T: Vanilla, bourbon, dark fruits
F: Very nice mouthfeel
O: Something really special if you get can get your hands on it, a great base beer for all their variants.

4.67/5  rDev +4.2%

2011 vintage, poured cold and waited until warm (ok ok, i sneaked some sips!). I have had several '10 and one '11 before, so i will try and review it with a fresh mindset

A- Pours a thick dark brown, not black motor oil ish as much as a dark brown thick bourbon. thin head reduces to a thin ring that sticks around for a long time, looks murky and menacing. Thin bubbles rise to the top like swamp water.

S- holy rich bourbon. Loads of booze and vanilla, with definite spiciness as well. Loads of oak, a bourbon blanket over rich notes of maltiness and chocolate. a little coffee as it warms up, definitely a great smelling stout under barrel.

T- Bourbon fills the mouth and the nostrils, so much sweet vanilla and chocolate. the stout really comes out as it warms, too. the bourbon is forward and warming, but smooth and not too hot. dark fruits drenched in bourbon (like those bourbon filled chocolate candies, maybe osme kind of chocolate bourbon date?). This definitely has the potential to be better with age, but is phenomenal now, some complex cinnamon and dessert favor. so good.

M- Not going to lie, this thing is warm. not a biting hot, though, a once-you-swallw-your-throat-warms-up heat that is actually quite awesome. this beer is also much thicker than it poured, ans surprisingly smooth for the alcohol.

O- incredible. The crazy thing is, I think it will actually get BETTER with age, this really is a masterpiece. Probably my favorite beer.

4.81/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance- not as black as I would have expected. Dark brown/ almost red around the edges but not quite motor oil black. Thin slightly off white collar of a head.

Nose- absurdly good. Big bourbon, milk chocolate, sugary sweet molasses, slight oak, slight booze. I could smell this all day long, I wish they made candles with this smell. Really, it's that good.

Taste- holy shit. Absolutely lives up to the hype. That bruery barrel aged flavor you find in brews like melange 3 and bois is here, big time. Huge bourbon and sweet molasses, slight milky chocolate, a little boozy. Really follows suit with the nose. Perfect mouthfeel. Tastes like 10 or 11%, nowhere near 18.9. Booze is well hidden

Overall- I'm glad this lived up to the hype for me. Really a great balanced beer, glad I have more

3.82/5  rDev -14.7%

A: Black, emphasis on silky, brown slivered trim. No practical head.

S: Smells sturdy enough but much less robust than anything I had imagined. Sweetness, bourbon barrel warmed cocoa and milk chocolate are foremost. It really does have a wonderful smell despite being lesser than I preconceived and makes me wish I could bath in it.

T: Definitely a let down for the price, hype, and what I imagined. This beer is definitely not comparable to any other beer but this fresh 2011 bottle is all about sweetness and has a VERY mild barrel presence. Something must be said about the fact that this 18% beer literally tastes and drinks like a 7% beer- obviously very impressive and intriguing.

M: Thin! WTF! It's silky as balls, but come on, rouse me a little, I can take it. You don't have to fuck me this gently.

O: I didn't put this on much of a pedestal, but I can think of literally dozens of other bourbon barrel aged imperial stouts that are better than this (and all cheaper).

4.43/5  rDev -1.1%

A: Black as night with a barely there ring of mahogany nighlight when tilted and held to the light. Brown head reduces to a thin foam cap. Sexy ass legs with brown bubbles

S: Bourbon, vanilla, roast, booze, oak, chocolate, coconut. Reminds me a bit of GI BCS and the Firestone Walker anniversary beers. Licorice and dried figs.

T: Sweeet, bourbon, roast and musty wet oak. Again I am reminded of BCS. Booze finally becomes apparent as it gets to room temp. Also huge dark fruit as it gets warm.

M: Rich and velvety, nice appropriate carbonation. Oily and slick.

D: I split this beer with three other people and the 6 ounce pour was perfect.
This was never a chore but it was quite intense.

4.97/5  rDev +10.9%

19.5%. It is absurd how delicious and drinkable this beer was considering its beastly nature. For such a booze bomb, I was left with a very refined taste. One of if not the best imperial stout I have ever had. I really hope the bottle holds up to the draft.

I can say that the Bruery hadn't impressed me until my trip there in which I got to try Black Tuesday, White Oak and Papier. I am a believer.

4.61/5  rDev +2.9%

This was my Number One Want for so long. Was able to get some 2010 bottles last year, but didn't open any. Finally decided it was time, and opened a 2011 with my buddy Beerontwowheels tonight.

A: A very dark brown, but not black like some stouts I've seen. No head or lacing, and frankly doesn't look that thick.

S: Lots of delicious sweetness. Bourbon, vanilla, chocolate, molasses, and not that much booze.

T: Oh man, this is terrific. Starts off with some sugary dark fruit and molasses. In the middle I get chocolate and a bit of vanilla. The finish comes in with more molasses and a bit of roastiness, both of which linger for several seconds after I've swallowed. Again, really not that much heat at all.

M: Thick and quite appropriate for this beast of a beer. A bit of carbonation to keep it from being too heavy, but it's gentle enough to allow the beer to lay down heavily in the mouth.

O: Yeah, this beer is awesome. Not worth more than the $33 I paid for it, but not worth less either. Lots of delicious, rich flavors, and very sweet. Black Tuesday joins the Dark Lord at the top of my favorite stouts list.

4.97/5  rDev +10.9%

2010 bottle into a Duvel tulip. Much thanks to mashmaster for this longtime want.

It is indeed black, impossibly black. Like motor oil from a jug, this pours very slowly out of the bottle. A quarter-finger medium-dark brown head forms and sticks around for a while. Some lacing around the glass, but it quickly subsides. Legs all over the place.

The aroma is exquisite - this is easily the most complex beer I've ever smelled. I hate to recapitulate a BA cliché, but it applies in this case: I can’t get my nose out of the glass. Huge hits of raisins, prunes, and other dark fruits, like a freshly baked pudding. Dark baker's chocolate and fudge. Plenty of alcohol in the mix as well, with the unmistakable aroma of bourbon. So much sweet vanilla from the barrel, with remarkably little of that nostril hair-burning element that many big stouts have.

The taste is enormous. Tremendous sweetness, but that huge barrel presence tempers it perfectly. There's so much going on with this beer, but nothing seems muddled - each flavor is incredibly pure. Sweet dark fudge with vanilla extract added. Blackstrap molasses and caramel. There's an anise cookie-like flavor at work that really reminds me of biscotti. The back end is all smooth, smooth bourbon, but the booze is not close to being overpowering. Just a hint of bitterness in the finish.

Thick, viscous, sludgy mouthfeel, but there's a hint of carbonation. The mouthfeel is absolutely perfect, and befits the enormity of this beer.

The hype behind this beer is definitely merited. With so many competing flavors at work, this beer could have easily been a muddled mess. Instead, it borders on perfection like no stout I've tried before. I shudder to think what the 2009 version tastes like today, though this one is drinking pretty perfectly right now. Worth every penny.

Had to adjust my rating here. The fact that this is a really good beer is completely overshadowed by a pretentious, conceited brewery with rude employees. Unfortunate, but that kind of pretentious nonsense is repulsive to me. Lots of great beers out there, enjoy it if you want, then move on...it is not all it is made to be. Overpriced...

Enjoyed a bottle of this with my brother on 19 April 12. We chilled the beer for a while, but probably cooled it down a little more than we should have. I prefer some of these bigger stouts with a slight chill, and sometimes close to or right at room temperature. This beer started out really strong on alcohol...the alcohol almost overpowered the flavor and taste of the beer. We probably took about 25-30 minutes to go through the bottle, and by the time it warmed up closer to room temp it was getting really, really good. The last sips were the best. I have another bottle of BT and will be drinking it a lot closer to room temp (60 degrees or so).

A: pitch black
S: Licorice, alcohol, figs, molasses
T: See above, at cooler temps alcohol smothers underlying flavors, takes away from the beer
M: silky smooth, very thick
O: really nice...can't wait to enjoy another!!

4.96/5  rDev +10.7%

Waited to try this for a long time and finally enjoyed the 2014 vintage when my neighbor shared with me. Lived up to my expectations - loads of sweet and savory flavors and quite drinkable. Everything about it was extremely well balanced, a very nice mouthfeel and an inviting smell. Can't wait to try again someday.

Appearance: black and syrupy with a dark brown head a couple cm thick.

Smell: bourbon molasses vanilla chocolate and a slight hint of booze

Taste: chocolate bourbon and strong molasses followed by trailing notes of vanilla. this is one hell of a beer. had a fair amount of alcohol burn when it was cold, but after warming up alcohol was barely noticeable

Mouth-feel: thick and a tad bit syrupy. slight carbonation.

Drinkability: Quite amazing how well this drank for being 19.5%.

Overall: This is one hell of a beer. i felt that this beer could never live up to its hype, but i was wrong.

4.42/5  rDev -1.3%

Special thanks to Mike for bringing this to last nights tasting. Out of a snifter, 2010 bottle.

A- Pitch black. Little to no head, and light ring remains. No lacing, but a film coats the inside of the glass.

S- Sweet and boozy. Some notes of dark fruit and bourbon. Some oak, soy, and chocolate.

T- This stuff is seriously sweet. Strong notes of bourbon and dark malt and molassas. I get some oak and chocolate as well, plus some coffee notes. As I was drinking it, I couldn't help but think to myself "This tastes a lot like Sugar Daddies"

M- Definitely a little cloying, but the body and carbonation were spot on. Not too thick, and surprisingly drinkable for the ABV.

O- Overall, a great beer but maybe a little over hyped. It is so sweet, I just couldn't picture myself drinking too much more than I had. A very nice sipper, and a great beer to have tried.

4.87/5  rDev +8.7%

2009 Vintage Poured into my Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary glass and shared with a friend.

This beer absolutely lives up to the hype and is worth seeking out by any means necessary. I have never had a beer at this high ABV (19.5%) and been able to detect very little of the booze. You do have to drink it slowly, because of how heavy it goes down and just for the purpose of enjoying every last sip. My friend and I both agree that this is like a fudge cake/brownie wrapped into one of the most unique and exceptional beers you can have of this style. It is without a doubt a special occasion beer and one worthy of that occasion. I think the year of age on it as well had some to do with the drinkability.

3.91/5  rDev -12.7%

Popped a bottle of this at pre ebf training with a few fellow BA's

A-black. oil. not too much of a head, but more than i expected for a 19.5% abv beer

S-bourbon overpowering, as per usual with the style. lots of chocolatey notes as well, although much harder to notice than i wouldve liked because of all of the bourbon

T-WAY too much sugar IMO, honestly kinda burned my throat on the way down--but not because of it being too hot, because it was just so sweet/rich. also huge amounts of chocolate again, really nice chocolate flavor, not AS bourbon-forward as the smell would have made me think

M-thick, thick, thick. like a freakin smoothie-but in a good way.

D-for being 19.5%, i guess one could say its very drinkable, but at the same time i had trouble getting down my glass because of the sugary burning aspect of it-just way too rich and sugary for me.

Overall it's a good beer, pretty impressive, but nowhere near the "god" of all beers like people say. Wouldn't go out of my way to have it again, happy i got a chance to try it though.

4.62/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2011 vintage. Poured at room temperature into my Bell's tulip at the Adventyres in Homebrewing Teach a Friend to Brew Day.

A: Standard for the style. Deep, dark black. Some mocha colored head.

S: Bourbon and sweet, sweet chocolate.

T: Wonderfoul, boozy bourbon on the nose. Very sweet. I love my stouts to be sugary messes, but this one is almost too sweet.

M: Medium body with just the right amount of carbonation. I would not mind if it was a little thicker.

O: So glad I got 5 bottles of this year's vintage. Can't wait to do a side by side with my 2010 bottle.

4.8/5  rDev +7.1%

Had 2 tastes at the Reserve Society Event. Poured into wine tasting glass.

A- Great black, dark brown edge color with a nice tan head that dissappears quicly. The body on this thing is just awesome, leaves a thick coating on the glass.

S- HEAVY. Sweet vanilla bourbon with nice chocolate malts, just a great beer!!!

T- Sweet sugar, chocolate, and some nice candied fruits, molasses, some very nice anise flavors. Then it begins to move to some smooth Oaky vanilla bourbon flavors, slight alcohol finish.

M- HUGE, medium/light carbonation, smooth creamy mouthfeel. Couldn't tell it was 19.5% alcohol.

D- Great but I don't think I could drink too much of this stuff, it's a meal in a bottle.

All in all I need to acquire more of this beer, like copius amounts of it, because this is just the best beer I have ever had. Thanks Patrick and The Bruery gang.

4.59/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Opened a 2013 bottle. Shared with friends.

A- pours pitch black with little head that fades, no lacing.

S- At first open and pour there were faint chocolate notes giving way to dark fruits and booze as it warmed.

T- Served slightly chilled, dark fruits and slight chocolate notes. As warms dark fruit and booze start to come out becoming very prevalent.

M- very thick, fills the pallet and goes down smooth.

O- this was well worth the KBS I traded for it. This easily goes up with the best barrel aged stouts easily available each year.

Apperearance: black w/brown head

Smell: rich bourbon, vanilla, chocolate, sweet brown sugar.

Taste: malt, coffee, chocolate, toastiness. plum/prune, port, bourbon, vanilla, oakiness, brown sugar and caramel. Complex, balanced, drinkable.

Mouth: Very thick and flavorful all the way down. Not much alcohol taste or burn at all amazingly.

Overall: The best IS I've ever had. Since it's my favorite style that makes it my favorite beer I've ever had.
I'm shocked by the abv. Way more drinkable than any other beer of this strength I've had, and more drinkable than many beers of half this strength, which is why I awarded a perfect score for drinkability.
I've had KBS, BS, BCS, peche mortel, speedway, stone RIS, and this beats them all.
I have not had darkness, dark lord, or DFH WWS, so cannot compare, but have 2 out of 3 in the cellar so will note on comparisons when I pop them.

4.43/5  rDev -1.1%

Motor oil black pour with a loose brown head. The aroma is heavily charred oak and smoky bourbon with notes of vanilla bean, 100% cacao chocolate and boozy dark fruit. The begins with bitter dark espresso and blends to bourbon, smoke, and oak. It finishes with lingering dark chocolate, a dark fruit liquor, and a hint of amaretto. The FULL body is oily feeling with a moderate carbonation level and a big alcohol burn.

4.87/5  rDev +8.7%

Finally getting around to rating this one; shared with a group at a recent tasting.

A--Very black; no reading the newspaper through this one! A little bit of a head with minimal lacing.

S--Chocolate and bourbon.

T--Bourbon, chocolate, and oak. WONDERFUL taste.

M--Thick with just the right amount of carbonation.

D--I say it's great, though most would disagree due to the high alcohol content. I counter that by saying just share it with someone or sip on this one for an hour or more while watching a good movie, game, etc. GREAT beer.

4.1/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A big thanks to Dreadnaught33 for procuring this bottle from a friend and allowing some of us to try it! I got a generous 4-5 oz. pour off the bat into a Bruery snifter.

A: Pours very black fluid (this beer isn't unbelievably black, it's just mostly black) with slight mahogany brown highlights around the edges. A light tan cap appears briefly but dissipates quickly to a thin ring. Handsome presentation indeed!

S: The smell is very powerful and forced me to bellow in delight as I took a whiff! Big bourbon notes coupled with vanilla and oak woodiness support a malt aroma of dark caramel and chocolate. I am getting very little, if any, roastiness from this. It is mostly a sweeter style. There is a slight unexpected tinge of teriyaki as we discussed at the table.

T: Molasses, Grade C maple syrup, chocolate malts all come to mind in this big flavored beer. The bourbon is present but not intrusive. Vanilla and Oak notes compliment the flavor nicely. Again, no roastiness available which is somewhat disappointing to me. The teriyaki is also somewhat of a distraction. Medium alcohol heat is present in the finish.

M: Full bodied beer representative of the style with a slightly slick mouthfeel. It is probably very dextrinous. Medium sweet finish.

D: For most part the beer is fairly drinkable at 18+% ABV. Pleasant flavors abound however, the beer is fairly sweet, not quite cloying, but getting there. The alcohol in the finish is also somewhat of a turn off.

This is a great beer, but I think it is over-hyped. It would probably be in my top-10 of stouts, but not top 5.

Fantastic stout. One of the most surprising aspects of this beer is that despite the high alcohol content, it is not overly boozy. It has a nice smell and is really smooth. One of the best stouts I have had.

4.58/5  rDev +2.2%

After standing more than four hours in line in order to acquire this treasure, with limited fund, I purchased a lone bottle. A month later, with the combination of the occurrence of Thanksgiving, I finally decided to crack open this much-talked-about monster.

Pour into a tulip class, the color was as opaque with a healthy dose of head, even with its high. Smell of powerful bourbon and coffee as soon as the cap dropped.

There wasn't any alcohol burn in my stomach as the I swallowed my first sip. It was a bit sweeter than I've considered ideal, nevertheless it was extremely drinkable given that this brew is near 20% abv.

Easy to go down, but rather hard for me to finish the whole bottle in a timely manner. I opened it on the wee hour of Thanksgiving and continued to sip away the next morning.

4.86/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I would have liked a little more head to this one, but I cannot really complain for something 19+ to tasty this amazing. so rich, smooth, and easy to drink. Just WOW

Black Tuesday from The Bruery