Black Tuesday - The Bruery

2010: 18.2% ABV
2011: 18.3% ABV
2012: 19.2% ABV
2013: 18.9% ABV

(Beer added by: OlieIPA on 07-18-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Black Tuesday Alström Bros
Hugonaut13

Oklahoma

4.7/5  rDev +3.8%

GLASS: Snifter
TEMP: Served at approx. 45 degrees or so and allowed to warm
Thanks goes to infestaxion for this one. He told me the night before DLD '10 that he'd share this with me the next day, then sought me out to make sure that I got a pour of it. I wound up getting three more pours of it throughout the day from other good souls, but Dave gets the credit, since he was first. Thanks goes also to the others who shared with me though, of course!

This appears to be black at first glance, but with a little backlighting it reveals itself to be a very dark brown color with red highlights. A small head of dark tan colored foam forms on top and then quickly dissipates, leaving a small surface ring around the edges. Lacing is minimal, but a few spotty pieces are here. The 'legs' on this thing are most impressive, though. A light swirl leaves an ample oily residue clinging to the side of the glass and slowly sliding back down to the surface of the liquid.

The smell is amazing! Lots of things are happening inside this glass. Big notes of oak and vanilla. Lots of chocolates are here, both of the milk and dark varieties. Good presence of dark fruits, especially dates and raisins. Nice hints of caramel, brown sugar, and toffee, with a big shot of molasses thrown in. Light hint of smoke. Nice espresso bean notes. Very good bourbon presence. Good shot of lightly roasted maltiness.
Maybe the most complex and intriguing nose that I've experienced to date. The booze is a touch to forward to give it a 'perfect', but it's nowhere near as prominent as I expected with a 19.50%abv. Still, I could just sit here and smell it for a long time, without drinking it, and I'd be happy.

The taste is so good! Almost everything that was spotted in the nose makes another appearance in the flavor profile. You also get a little tiny hint of licorice and some faint coconut notes. A touch of figs comes through with the other dark fruits. A little bit of yeasty biscuit quality is here. Some very mild spice notes are way down deep.
The overall taste is that of a sweet stout. If you like your stouts more on the roasty side this is probably not for you. While it is very complex, it is also suprisingly smooth and nicely balanced.
Worth the wait, as far as I'm concerned.

This one is quite thick and somewhat oily. It has a mild level of carbonation, which works very well for it. It's so silky smooth and easy to swallow. I'd give it a 'perfect' if it had some creaminess going on.

Okay, at 19.50%abv this is too easy to drink. Nothing this 'high-octane' should go down this easily. I'm sure that I'd regret drinking an entire bottle by myself, the next day or something, but I'd have a great time doing it, and don't think that it would be a problem to do so. It's so smooth and easy and delicious.

05-11-2010 22:36:16 | More by coldmeat23
angrybabboon

New Hampshire

3.85/5  rDev -15%

Cheers to Goblinmunkey7 for acquiring this and sharing this

Note: 2011 vintage

Appearance: Dark, dark brown - not exactly black, but very dark, approaching black - light tan head, impressive amount of carbonation given the barrel aging

Smell: Ow, my brains - tons and tons of bourbon aroma - vanilla and some wood - loads of booze, but not as bursting with ethanol as it could be, I suppose - sweet chocolate, loads of caramel, molasses, and a sack of sugar - some dark fruits - absurdly sweet, flirting with the "do not want" line

Taste: A sweet, sugary, bizarre potion - all kinds of sweet, including caramel, burnt caramel, molasses, brown sugar, white sugar, malt extract - sweet chocolate, like a chocolate hard candy - sweet vanilla - intense bourbon flavor - thankfully, light on the wood and dry alcohol - mild burnt bitterness - dark, cooked fruits - very sweet - absolutely disgusting if consumed with a gulp, but tasty if sipped, hard to give an actual score

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, syrupy, oily, with a legitimate alcohol burn, not a huge fan

Overall: Black Tuesday? More than one of these, and it's more like Blackout Tuesday (omg lol)

This is a syrupy, absurd creation. The level of crazy here is hard to assess. It's somewhere between genuinely disgusting and uniquely charming. I'm very happy that I had a chance to sit down with a full glass of this. It's really not suitable for a small pour at a beer fest. I'll be skipping it at future Extreme Beer Fests.

12-09-2012 20:08:11 | More by angrybabboon
scott2269

06-03-2012 18:24:52 | More by scott2269
doucmehu

4.25/5  rDev -6.2%

03-01-2013 13:19:06 | More by doucmehu
paco1029384756

4.78/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours black with a small dark tan head with good retention, and it is ridiculously cloying.

Scent of sweet dark fruit, maple syrup, chocolate, a hint of oak, some alcohol, and bourbon. Very sweet, and though the alcohol is noticeable, it is hardly overpowering.

Taste of strong chocolate, sweet maple syrup, bourbon, molasses, candi sugar, oak, and a hint of alcohol. Finishes with dry oak, vanilla and some alcohol. Incredible stuff, not at all suggestive of it's 19.5% ABV.

Mouthfeel is heavy bodied and oily with a small bite of carbonation. As expected, the mouthfeel is perfectly smooth and heavy, but not quite flat.

11-22-2009 21:40:36 | More by paco1029384756
vinny21bal

4.55/5  rDev +0.4%

What a monster. Black tar stout. Big booze on this. But it really blends nicely with everything else going on. Great mouth feel to it. Really one of the better stouts out there. It's kind of on its own as far as uniqueness. This is a big intense beer. Don't recommend opening it by yourself. The Bruery just kills it time and time again.

11-19-2013 05:00:07 | More by vinny21bal
russwbeck

Shared side by side with Chocolate Rain with nhindian

A: Thick black pour with a small light brown head. Hardly any retention and spotty lacing, but a nice amount of bubbles rise from the bottom of the glass. Significantly darker in color than Chocolate Rain, and a better head. BT gets the nod in terms of appearance.

S: The smell is a bit more subdued, but seemingly more balanced than Chocolate Rain. Bourbon, vanilla, chocolate, and booze much like CR are the focus of the beer, but when comparing the smell of this is much smaller.The booze isn't as offensive, and it is not quite as sweet, but the other smells are also not as big. I can't quite tell which I prefer. Going to call this one a push.

T: The first taste certainly merits the WOW factor. A ton of booze, molasses, licorice, bourbon, vanilla, chocolate, smokey charred malts, and other flavors I'm not quite sure my palate was ready for. As the booze fades on the backend, I'm getting some very dark fruits developing as well. I completely understand why this beer is so highly regarded, but I must say I was expecting a bit more balance and less booze and licorice. Not nearly as much bourbon as I was expecting, but the other flavors certainly make up for it. However, I cannot honestly say this is the best stout I've ever had. The flavors do develop very well on the palate. Chocolate, molasses, and licorice up front. Bourbon, vanilla, and booze in the middle. Booze, roasted malts, and a dry finish combine with that typical warming alcohol feeling.

MF: Not quite as thick as I was expecting. I mean don't get me wrong, this beer has a heavy body and is carbonated well. However, it is not syrupy or creamy like other big stouts. A pretty good body considering the size of the beer.

O: The drinkability is a bit tough on this one. In the end, it is very sweet and very boozy. Half a bottle was honestly a bit much to put down. With that said, it was phenomenally tasty and I was very happy to have tried it. I just was expecting a bit higher drinkability. Very good overall.

11-22-2011 05:24:26 | More by russwbeck
kjyost

Manitoba (Canada)

4.85/5  rDev +7.1%

Bottle shared at a bottle share. Poured into 5 oz glasses, let warm over time. Thanks tbadiuk (Bruery Reserve member) for sharing this gem!

Pours a thick dark oil like body with light tan head that rings but doesn't lace. Liquid chocolate. Hints of liquorice & bourbon. So easy to drink. No heat at all for the high ABV. Sweet, but with a thinner finish. This is dessert in a glass. I could drink a whole bottle of this to myself, and then find myself under the table...

06-20-2012 02:55:19 | More by kjyost
KickInTheChalice

4.05/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a tulip. 2010 bottle, from notes.

Appearance: In my tulip, Black Tuesday lives up to its name, being black all the way through with just a slightly lighter edge if I tilt the glass to make it thin enough.

Smell: Lots of gooey dark chocolate and fusel alcohol, with a little coffee and a fair amount of dark roasted malt to back it up.

Taste: Each sip starts out very sweet and feels boozy going down. Molasses, dark chocolate, some vanilla, and brown sugar add further sweetness to caramel and roasted malt flavors.

Mouthfeel: This has a very full body with medium carbonation. Although, I wonder if it would be possible for a beer with this thick of a body to have any more carbonation or whether the body would simply crush it. There is definitely a full burn going down, which is slightly unpleasant because it feels unnatural. There is no bourbon or other flavor that accompanies it, it is just there for its own sake.

Overall: This was a good beer and I think the Bruery executed what they wanted out of this beer, but I think it is just too over the top for me.

08-09-2011 00:20:55 | More by KickInTheChalice

05-05-2014 12:45:50 | More by Gotti311
Dreadnaught33

District of Columbia

4.83/5  rDev +6.6%

I was extremely fortunate to have been given this bottle as a gift from Thor, the beer manager at Brasserie Beck at dinner last night. A really nice review will be coming after this Black Tuesday review for Brasserie Beck as I've had many good experiences there and is worth a try if in DC.

This beer is my 100th review, as I tried to plan it out that way since this is a beer that I've really really wanted to try since I got a taste (well maybe 4-5 tastes) of it at GABF 2010. It's really a great beer, though age will help the heat on this one.

A: Pours like motor oil super dark brown to black with a khaki head and some lacing. Was expecting complete darkness but it still looks great.

S: Awesomely complex, wow! Bourbon, definite sweet/heat of alcohol, lots of chocolate, vanilla, oak, sugary malt, leather, and more. AWESOME! I could not get my nose out of the glass. Such a present and huge aroma.

T: Taste does not disappoint. The smell and more! The other flavors I got besides the vanilla, bourbon, oak, malt etc. from the smell is an added salty teriyaki (that I get in Dark Lord as well) with other additions of candied dark fruits, chocolate milk, hot chocolate cake, a healthy does of molasses, coffee and some kinds of spicy hot sauce-ish notes (I like that a lot!). I love how ever next sip you get something different, almost like if you think of a different flavor to concentrate on you'll get that next time you sip. What an awesome flavor. Lives up to the hype for me.

M: Really viscous and coating, just what you'd want, although the alcohol heat prevents me from giving this a five. It needs some time to cool down and this will be perfect because I just love the carbonation level and the thickness of it now!

D: What a tasty brew. With time this will probably be a five for me also, if only I can get someone to trade me one of these! I've tried trading lots of stuff for this on here already and honestly I'm glad I never went all out to get one, as it is great great beer but not one to give all you have for. I'm so fortunate that I could get hooked up with this last night, it's a great brew! I may be planning to go to the release next year if I can!

12-17-2010 13:39:37 | More by Dreadnaught33
Scotchboy

Idaho

4.43/5  rDev -2.2%

750ml of the 2012 bottling, poured at a tasting (shared by sstork; thanks man!) with my portion into a Stone chalice.

A: Dark brown edges with a black body; no head.

S: Oaky vanilla, bourbon, brown sugar and toasted caramel dominate, as expected; everyone who has had this beer and its variants must know what I'm talking about. Huge sugary-sweet stout with overwhelming caramel, vanilla and brown sugar notes, and just enough roast and dark chocolate to keep it interesting. Lots of hot, boozy bourbon here as well, though for near 20% this is a pretty manageable nose.

T: Bourbon and brown sugar, plenty of caramel as well as vanilla & bourbon...milk chocolate, burnt sugar, boozy & oaky vanilla.

MF: Fuller bodied & hot, low carbonation; very oily and mouth-coating.

O: Awesome beer, very extreme but well-executed. A sipper for sure.

07-22-2013 14:27:26 | More by Scotchboy
LakerLeith

06-17-2014 06:47:20 | More by LakerLeith
JohnnyBarman

Ontario (Canada)

4.45/5  rDev -1.8%

750mL bottle, shared at a recent beer tasting to cap off the evening. Cheers to Jeff for sharing this one with us!

Poured into a snifter glass. Deepest darkest black, with a thin light brown head that dissolves quite quickly under its own weight. A think little smattering of foam is all that survives. You can see the weight on this as it pours.

Nose is sweet and sugary, with notes of roasted malt, molasses, bourbon, vanilla, dark chocolate, caramel and a slight peat or leather quality. Rich and inviting.

Well this is all kinds of wonderful. Definitely a sharing bottle, even if the ABV wasn't as high as it is. Rich stout flavours, very sweet, with assertive notes of bourbon, chocolate, sugar and vanilla. The booze is certainly there, but despite being 18%, it tastes more like around a 10%er, which makes for some dangerous drinking indeed. A headache-inducing brew, but oh-so-worth it.

Medium-high thickness, mild carbonation, creamy on the palate. Drinks like a liqueur.

Terrific double stout, very sweet, full of flavour. When drinking this brew I had that calm euphoria folks must have felt in the late 1920s with stocks at what Irving Fisher described as a "permanently high plateau". The high ABV hit me a short while later, with the high sugar content causing an irreversible crash. With a brew this good, however, it won't take a war to get me on my feet again. Terrific stuff, well worth a pickup. Share this brew, or don't come crying to me later.

08-20-2012 01:04:32 | More by JohnnyBarman