Black Tuesday - The Bruery

2010: 18.2% ABV
2011: 18.3% ABV
2012: 19.2% ABV
2013: 18.9% ABV

(Beer added by: OlieIPA on 07-18-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Black Tuesday Alström Bros
ricecracker420

11-25-2013 06:00:57 | More by ricecracker420
JohnnyBarman

Ontario (Canada)

4.45/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750mL bottle, shared at a recent beer tasting to cap off the evening. Cheers to Jeff for sharing this one with us!

Poured into a snifter glass. Deepest darkest black, with a thin light brown head that dissolves quite quickly under its own weight. A think little smattering of foam is all that survives. You can see the weight on this as it pours.

Nose is sweet and sugary, with notes of roasted malt, molasses, bourbon, vanilla, dark chocolate, caramel and a slight peat or leather quality. Rich and inviting.

Well this is all kinds of wonderful. Definitely a sharing bottle, even if the ABV wasn't as high as it is. Rich stout flavours, very sweet, with assertive notes of bourbon, chocolate, sugar and vanilla. The booze is certainly there, but despite being 18%, it tastes more like around a 10%er, which makes for some dangerous drinking indeed. A headache-inducing brew, but oh-so-worth it.

Medium-high thickness, mild carbonation, creamy on the palate. Drinks like a liqueur.

Terrific double stout, very sweet, full of flavour. When drinking this brew I had that calm euphoria folks must have felt in the late 1920s with stocks at what Irving Fisher described as a "permanently high plateau". The high ABV hit me a short while later, with the high sugar content causing an irreversible crash. With a brew this good, however, it won't take a war to get me on my feet again. Terrific stuff, well worth a pickup. Share this brew, or don't come crying to me later.

08-20-2012 01:04:32 | More by JohnnyBarman
rowingbrewer

2.38/5  rDev -47.5%

Had this at a tasting on friday night, a huge thanks to John for bring this beer

The beer pours like motor oil with a thin barely there dark head. the smell is sweet boozy with a noticeable bourbon smell. the taste is hot boozy and cloyingly sweet. this beer reminds me of dark lord, ( which i thought was highly overrated). the mouthfeel is thick and its hard to get the coating feel out of your mouth. between everyone at the tasting it was probably a 50/50 split of love hate. i gave the rest of my pour to my brother who enjoyed it. in my opinion this beer is one to avoid

06-05-2011 12:51:48 | More by rowingbrewer
craytonic

District of Columbia

3.45/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Appearance: Rich, dark, pour, incredibly thick. Completely coats the glass, and nice head as well.

Smell: Boozy notes of prunes, plums, brown sugar, vanilla, molasses, and chocolate. Not as much bourbon as I had hoped for although the alcohol is very hot. Definitely thick, but not particularly appitizing. Too sweet.

Taste: The 09 did a good job of hiding the alcohol but in the 2010 the booze smacks you in the face like a freight train. Big booze, plums, prunes, brown sugar, vanilla, tobacco, oak, coffee, chocolate, lots and lots of malt. Biggest negative is that it is way too sweet, which, combined with the over-present vanilla, booze heat, and alcohol thinness, detracts greatly.

Mouthfeel: Thick, but not silk/satin smooth. The 09 was decent but the alcohol in the 10 made it feel too hot and runny.

Drinkability: Hard call here, not drinkable in the sense that you normally think, as in it goes down easy, but it is "drinkable" for a 19.5% beer. However, I am going to go with general drinkability, as "highly drinkable for a 19.5%" beer sounds similar to "particularly tasty meal as far as rusty nails go."

Overall a good brew, but not a stand-out for the style. Certainly the "biggest" but that does not mean "best" as well, at least in my book. A good exercise in over-loading each part of the brewing process with malt and then tossing it in a barrel, but nothing I would need to try again - similar to seeing the bearded lady, etc. I've had the 09 and 2010, the 10 was much hotter and the alcohol made it feel thin.

01-02-2010 04:12:28 | More by craytonic
jjayjaye

4.85/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours opaque, dark with a full finger loose foamy tan head that fades fairly quickly with little lacing. The smell is aggressive, intense and complex. It starts off with a full on cherry vanilla assault over caramel and chocolate character. As it warms up the bourbon aroma becomes more intense, eventually maturing into an intense black licorice. Full flavored, the taste matches up to the nose really well, step for step. Lightly carbonated, the mouth feel is full bodied and creamy; a small sip coats the entire mouth thoroughly. The after taste lingers on and on with and the bourbon licorice and dark fruit notes. The 19.5% ABV is ever present but not distracting. Shared this one with my sons the day of the last snow, after-Easter christening the beginning of the 2010 BBQ season. This one is phenomenally complex. Very similar to my favorite Double Stouts but with a tad extra edge.

04-11-2010 02:03:57 | More by jjayjaye
pwoods

4.95/5  rDev +9.3%

Huge thanks to Roymunson for sharing this during Munsonfest.

A: Pitch black, very thick but not quite motor oil or Dark Lord. Moderate head on the pour with just a bit of retention. Some wispy lacing.

S: Deep, rich fucking malts. Not burnt but very roasty with loads of deep sugary molasses. You can definitely tell that it's a huge beer bu the alcohol only comes out a bit and is already melding well.

T/M: I want to hate this beer but I can't. This is very good. Deep, rich malts, but again, not burnt. Deeply sweet molasses and caramel. Some muted hops but not huge like Expo. Damn fine alcohol line, not much heat but plenty of flavor that melds nicely. Light, flavorful wood with some vanilla but not tons of bourbon. Body is full but not heavy and very very creamy.

D: 19.5? I would never guess this past 12 or so but still incredibly drinkable. Like I said.... I want to hate this beer because of the hype but damn.... This is an incredible beer.

EDIT: Just split a bottle with my Kels and the bourbon is much more pronounced in this bottle. Still not massive on the bourbon but definitely a step up and a nice improvement. Gonna bump the aroma up to a 5. Fantastic.

11-15-2009 00:47:04 | More by pwoods
Dreadnaught33

District of Columbia

4.83/5  rDev +6.6%

I was extremely fortunate to have been given this bottle as a gift from Thor, the beer manager at Brasserie Beck at dinner last night. A really nice review will be coming after this Black Tuesday review for Brasserie Beck as I've had many good experiences there and is worth a try if in DC.

This beer is my 100th review, as I tried to plan it out that way since this is a beer that I've really really wanted to try since I got a taste (well maybe 4-5 tastes) of it at GABF 2010. It's really a great beer, though age will help the heat on this one.

A: Pours like motor oil super dark brown to black with a khaki head and some lacing. Was expecting complete darkness but it still looks great.

S: Awesomely complex, wow! Bourbon, definite sweet/heat of alcohol, lots of chocolate, vanilla, oak, sugary malt, leather, and more. AWESOME! I could not get my nose out of the glass. Such a present and huge aroma.

T: Taste does not disappoint. The smell and more! The other flavors I got besides the vanilla, bourbon, oak, malt etc. from the smell is an added salty teriyaki (that I get in Dark Lord as well) with other additions of candied dark fruits, chocolate milk, hot chocolate cake, a healthy does of molasses, coffee and some kinds of spicy hot sauce-ish notes (I like that a lot!). I love how ever next sip you get something different, almost like if you think of a different flavor to concentrate on you'll get that next time you sip. What an awesome flavor. Lives up to the hype for me.

M: Really viscous and coating, just what you'd want, although the alcohol heat prevents me from giving this a five. It needs some time to cool down and this will be perfect because I just love the carbonation level and the thickness of it now!

D: What a tasty brew. With time this will probably be a five for me also, if only I can get someone to trade me one of these! I've tried trading lots of stuff for this on here already and honestly I'm glad I never went all out to get one, as it is great great beer but not one to give all you have for. I'm so fortunate that I could get hooked up with this last night, it's a great brew! I may be planning to go to the release next year if I can!

12-17-2010 13:39:37 | More by Dreadnaught33