2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Black Tuesday - The Bruery

2010: 18.2% ABV
2011: 18.3% ABV
2012: 19.2% ABV
2013: 18.9% ABV

(Beer added by: OlieIPA on 07-18-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Black Tuesday Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,118 | Reviews: 543 | Show All Ratings:
Prospero

Colorado

4.23/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours a thick deep brown and a nice dark tan head. The aroma is overwhelming of bourbon and sweet chocolate. Just by the aroma you can tell it's a strong beer.

Taste is very complex and rich, dark chocolate mixed with coffee and maybe some vanilla, bourbon and oak are strong as well without one flavor dominating, it's a bit hard to put a finger on what your tasting at a single moment. The bourbon might be the most dominate which kinda detracts from the beer goodness I know is underneath.

The mouthfeel is indeed very thick and rich and to be honest a bit hard to drink by itself and needs a nice food complement to I think fully enjoy the nuances of this beer.

Overall a great beer, but a couple things need to be better balanced to hide the bourbon a bit more and to ease the drinkability... needs to be smoothed out. I had a 2011 bottle so it's likely aged bottles will be better balanced.

06-05-2012 20:08:06 | More by Prospero
aknight

Dark, dark brown, almost black. The smell is pure sweetness. The taste is syrupy sweet and complex. Surprisingly little alcohol taste for a beer of this ABV but after drinking I definitely get the warm mouthfeel that lets me know there was a lot of alcohol in there. The most amazing thing about this beer though is the way it coats the tongue. This is like beer concentrate, it coats the tongue like an oily syrup. This beer is a truly amazing experience. For a beer of this ABV it is amazingly drinkable. The sweetness is a bit much, I don't know that I could drink a pint of it but it would be wonderful served in a snifter or tulip glass as an after dinner drink.

11-06-2010 03:55:05 | More by aknight
calise1122

3.4/5  rDev -24.9%

Sometimes a review kills a movie. In fact, often it is hard for a movie ever to live up the incredible hype critics bath it in. I am sure, in these instances - we walk out with a down feeling on what was actually a pretty good movie - but we were expecting Raging Bull, and got it didn't deliver.

Anyway, that aside - we opened the bottle with a certain level of excitement - a definite pop in your step if you will. But something didn't feel right for me, it didn't seem like an authentic "holy shit" moment - as when I opened my first Westy years ago or just a couple months ago having the FW vertical.

All that doesn't matter - what matters is the beer. Once I butchered the hell out of the wax cap and caused an absolute scene - the incredibly thick and heavy liquid was poured into our respective glasses. A great looking beer for sure: just scary dark, with a really pretty head about a centimeter or so thick with a plum/purplish head. Lacing, check. Lots of lacking and a even as we all sat there for an uncomfortable amount of time not knowing what to do - the smell was mushroom tattooing me on the forehead.

Sweet Sweet chocolate with an incredible amount of - well, booze. A wide array of things happening in this one: vanilla, dark sugar plums, brown sugar, tobacco, raisins, licorice, and of course malts. But then, as we are sitting around listening to bleach something happens - the complexity becomes dwarfed by a smell of booze, and not even good booze... almost rubbing alcohol. It becomes a bit off putting and I am not sure how to fairly rate a beer that begins with me saying "this is f'n great" to ehh... "what the hell happened here". I don't want to discount how good it smells, just that it needs time I suppose.

The taste followed the same trend. It began with a very nice and complex flavor, like a cup really good hot chocolate, you get some of the oak, lots of the vanilla and coffee flavors come through. But then it is almost as if the person who made your hot coffee decided to add more mix, to much mix - creating an uber-sweet concoction that became incredibly hard to drink.

The mouth feel was heavy, lush and sticky. The more it warmed up, the stickiness turned from a nice coat over around the tongue to what felt like a bit of Emerson's glue being swirled around.

And I understand the this has to be rated to style, but part of what makes an Imperial Stout so great is when it is drinkable. 2/3rds of us couldn't finish our glass. It was to sweet, to sticky, and to boozy. It was a really different experience... going from what started as an amazing experience to 20 minutes later being on the complete other end of the spectrum. Good beer for sure, by no means my favorite from the Bruery or from the style. Glad I was able to try it

12-04-2009 13:07:23 | More by calise1122
joshuacavett

4.88/5  rDev +7.7%

This beer is truly amazing! Shared from a bottle with brandoneast. The nose on this beer is so impressive it is indescribable. Huge chocolate, roast, bourbon oak up front. Taste is right on as well. If (and there is not)there was a downside to this beer it would be drinkability due to the high level of alcohol. The smell really boozed up after about an hour and I thought everything was cool. Then as I was laying in bed next to my wife she asks me to go close the blinds and I knew then that that beer was stronger than I expected.

Almost over the top sweet and boozey but the mouthfeel and nose balance it out.

Great beer overall and Patrick impresses me yet another time.

02-17-2011 17:52:26 | More by joshuacavett
Aberration

4.47/5  rDev -1.3%

Enjoyed for new years eve, poured into my new CBS snifter. 2011 vintage.

Dark mahogany colored brew with very little head. Smells like oak and booze. Literally smells as hot as I could imagine a fresh 2011 would be.

Taste: amazingly smooth, dark fruits like a Belgian with a lot of sugar. This is like a fine cognac but its a beer. Delicious! One of the better RIS that I've had in a long time...I'd like more but I'm buzzed off a 1/3 of the 750 haha

Mouthfeel was smooth but with a hint if alcohol. Good accomplishment for an 18% brew I'd say.

Overall: more please. I wish I could snag another couple of these to see how they develop over time!

01-01-2012 17:28:19 | More by Aberration
TATURBO

4.4/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours very dark black with minimal carbonation no head or lacing.

S: Bourbon up front with some dark fruits. Bourbon dominates.

T: Strong Bourbon and alcohol. Followed by some sweetness and marshmallow flavor. Some dark chocolate and vanilla notes present.

M: Full bodied with a strong heat from the alcohol.

O: Awesome beer, had back to back with Chocolate Rain. This one has a strong alcohol heat that leads to an intense sweetness. As it warms to 70 degrees appx, It really smooths out. Another sipper. Take your time and enjoy this one. It's a solid 4.4 to me.

06-17-2012 15:45:58 | More by TATURBO
OldPenguinHunter

4.6/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2010 bottle: Had this with a few friends for a Christmas party... All I can say is how much hedonism can you fit into a bottle? At least that's what my notes said. Big chocolate syrup notes, dark fruit, coffee and unsweetened cocoa powder. The mouthfeel is silky and immense, It was almost hard to drink between the three of us, at least it would have been if it wasn't so delicious. That being said, this beer is probably the most extreme examples of a stout there can be, and definitely worth picking up and sharing with some good friends.

02-07-2013 19:37:57 | More by OldPenguinHunter
biggied

4.97/5  rDev +9.7%

Apperearance: black w/ slight dark brown head

Smell: bourbon, vanilla, chocolate, brown sugar.

Taste: chocolate, port, bourbon, vanilla, oakiness, brown sugar, caramel, and a malty finish. Complex, balanced, drinkable.

Mouth: Very thick and flavorful all the way down. Not much alcohol taste or burn at all amazingly. Can't believe that this beer is this strong and you can't tell.

Overall: It's the best IS I've ever had. I'm shocked by the abv and it is way more drinkable than any other beer or wine of this strength I've had. More drinkable than many beers of half this strength, perfect score for drinkability.

Serving type: on-tap at the Bruery release

10-28-2009 17:24:59 | More by biggied
drgarage

2011 vintage bottle enjoyed over New Year's Eve with some of my best friends.

I have very little to say about this beer, other than to note that it is like nothing else I have tried. It's an RIS turned into dessert wine or port. The mouthfeel is unparalleled, there are huge gobs of coconut, char, and chocolate. It's a perfect sipper, without noticeable heat, which is shocking at its ABV. Given how great it is this young, I can't wait to find out what it tastes like in years to come.

In thinking about the difference between this and a great RIS like Dark Lord, it strikes me that I would love for someone to figure out how to make a great RIS that was constantly available and very affordable. For Black Tuesday, on the other hand, I can't imagine having it more than once every four months or so, regardless of what it cost. Truly memorable, andI'm glad I had the opportunity.

01-03-2012 00:56:54 | More by drgarage
mlhyatt

Georgia

4.8/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Poured into a tulip glass

To preface i was cery skeptical of this beer tasting like straight up liquor because of the alcohol content.

A- jet black with very very little brown head that turns into nothing very very quickly. Man this looks good. Getting lost in its appearance.

S- bourbon. Sweet caramel and vanilla. The chocolate comes through at the end and sits in the nose for a good while. The smell is very very sweet almost like candied soy sauce. Sounds weird but it's very good.

T- chocolate with hints of coffee. The coffee is very faint but the chocolate leaves a bitterness like dark chocolate does on the tongue. Then te bourbon comes in and swirls around the mouth. The booze is hot but it blends so well with the malt and chocolate. The sweetness from the bourbon doesn't overwhelm the flavors at all. This tastes amazing. Can't find anything wrong with the taste.

M- incredibly smooth for a 19% beer. Not much bite from the carbonation either. Can't believe how smooth it is.

O- a very delicious beer that really captures the style. Gotta drink it slow though. Very hard to find something wrong with this beer. If there was anything it would be the heat from the alcohol. But even that is done so well for a beer that is almost 20%. To me this beats out BCS because the sweetness from the bourbon blends way better in this beer. Glad i have another bottle.

03-16-2014 03:36:00 | More by mlhyatt
Googs

4.45/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into a cigar city snifter. When the bottle opened, it stated foaming.

A: I'm a little surprised on the carbonation on this, pretty bubbly. Pours pitch black, with a half inch mocha colored head. Turned into a small ring of bubbles with a bunch of alcohol sticking to the glass.

S: A bold and powerful smelling brew. Bourbon with chocolate, sweet roasted malts and booze.

T: Rich chocolate and bourbon blends with oak, vanilla, roasty malts, a bit of dark fruits and caramel sugar. Rum like alcohol flavor is very present, not drinking like almost 20% but hot, none the less.

M; This is an out there American style beer, not surprised about the hype on this stuff. Strong and incredibly sweet and flavorful. At 19% alcohol this is a dessert brew thats for sipping only.

O: It reminds me of an all malt mixed drink, and I can't really drink more than 6oz. Really awesome though, just something I'd keep in the cellar for 5 years to a decade and drink occasionally with a crew of homies.
It's not my favorite ba imperial stout, I prefer Hunahpu, bcbs and bcbcs and a couple of others just mainly because of mouthfeel and drinkability. This is a great beer though that pushes the limits of brewing. glad I finally got to try this.

12-15-2012 09:56:38 | More by Googs
Mooch273

4.72/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2010 Release

A: Dark, black syrup with thin skin of mocha on the surface. Great legs when swirled. Appears very thick.

A: Cocoa, bourbon, dark fruits, dark brown sugar, slight molasses. Very inviting.

T: Yep, as it smelled. Vanilla, chocolate, roasted malt, bourbon and dark fruits. Alcohol surprisingly not really noticeable. Damn... this is good.

M: One of the richest beers I've experienced. Heavy viscosity that coats the tongue. Light carbonation leads to smooth feel. Amazingly not boozy given high ABV.

D: Thick, delicious and smooth, however a couple of half pours is about all one needs to completely enjoy this amazing beverage. This is definitely one to be shared with friends.

Serving type: cask

11-09-2010 04:52:11 | More by Mooch273
kungpao

4.8/5  rDev +6%

2011 Vintage split between myself and 2 others.

A- Pretty damn black, the head quickly dissipates to zilch.

S- Fucking Amazing. Ridiculous amounts of chocolate, malt, vanilla, sugar, oak, alcohol. Simply decadent.

T- Blown away. Mirrors the nose but somehow even more complex. The sweetness is balanced, massive amounts of chocolate, pretty roasty, oak and vanilla and nice amount of heat. COMPLEX.

M- Much thinner than I envisioned but somehow it works.

O- Simply a must try beer. Not for the meek.

11-30-2011 19:59:28 | More by kungpao
Adamostella

Washington

4.83/5  rDev +6.6%

This is regarding the 2011 version, though I'd love to try the 2009 someday.

Deep black pour, very viscous, coats the glass impressively.

Far and away one of the richest smelling beers I've encountered. While I find that CBS offers more of a variety of scents (with the maple, bourbon, vanilla mixing) Black Tuesday just leaves this focused chocolately, boozy wonderfulness on the nose.

Tastes even better than it gives off in the nose which in and of itself is magnificent accomplishment.

Truly worthy of all the hype out there,what a flagship for Bruery products, I'll be trying a lot more of their stuff going forward.

Something every true fan of good beer must try at least once!

11-30-2011 23:16:08 | More by Adamostella
Rau71

4.55/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This beer poured about as black as possible. Smelled very sweet, maybe fruit and chocolate. Taste was very much like the nose, Raisins and dark fruits took over on my pallet. I could get a hint of some chocolate mixed in but was not featured. I could taste a little of the bourbon barrel, but once again back seat to the fruitiness of the raisins. A solid beer I wouldn't mind having it again.

06-10-2012 15:56:41 | More by Rau71
sarro

3.03/5  rDev -33.1%

2009 bottle shared generously by punkrkr27 at FL invades MI May Super Tasting, thanks Steve!
Served at room temp, it poured a super jet black with a one finger, light brown head. Smell is dark, boozy chocolate and what seems to be dry wood. Taste is syrupy dark chocolate as well as some vanilla and honey dipped marshmallow. Mouthfeel on this beer was the highlight to me--a very full, viscous body that’s complimented by a supporting chewy malty-ness. Definitely a hot finish in the throat.
The noticeable abv makes it a dry finish after swallowing, but this beer was super sweet with lots of rich malt and there’s no way I could enjoy more than 3oz.

05-24-2011 04:36:02 | More by sarro
hamilton23

4.75/5  rDev +4.9%

2010 Vintage. Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours black with a fair amount of thick, brown head. Nice lacing.

Aroma: Tons of bourbon, chocolate, vanilla, some coconut.

Taste: Chocolate, vanilla, coconut. Sweet. Really, really, really sweet. Some of complained that this is sickeningly sweet. I disagree. It is not something you would down on a summer afternoon after working in the yard, it is to be savored like a dessert wine or port.

Mouthfeel: Thick and syrupy.

Overall: This is a tremendous beer. It is like an almond joy bar in liquid form. If you don't like big sweet bourbon bombs, this is not the beer for you. But, if you are like me and love sweeter stouts...damn this is good.

05-21-2011 19:56:29 | More by hamilton23
islandboi8204

Hawaii

4.48/5  rDev -1.1%

2009 vintage, 19.5% abv split three ways.

Pours black and viscous with a mocha colored foam that doesn't last long.

Smells as you might expect from such a big beer, tons of bourbon, chocolate covered dark fruits, roasted malt, vanilla, and a moderate alcohol burn, but to be expected for the high abv.

Taste is incredible. Lots of chocolate integrated with bourbon barrel, vanilla, licorice, tiramisu. As it warms, the dark fruits and sweet brown sugar makes it more complex. A mild alcohol burn is there as a reminder to take your time sipping it.

Low carbonation, but enough to keep it from being too heavy. The full body and complexity of flavors go well together, makes for a great night cap.

I had the 2011 when it first came out and remember it being way too sweet and too hot at the time. On the other hand, the 2009 is fantastic, the sweetness and alcohol burn has mellowed and the flavors are complex. I think age has helped this beer a lot, although some say the recipe was supposedly different. Delicious beer overall, just have to remember to pace myself with it next time around - waking up the next morning was rough.

04-19-2012 19:19:09 | More by islandboi8204
JRhode

A jet black beer with a slightly brown twinge at the edge of the glass. Chocolate brown head that dissipated quickly. Lacing drips vertically down the glass rather than horizontally. Reeks of bourbon, charred oak, molasses, possibly chocolate cake, and dried dark fruits. Tastes like a vanilla bourbon truffle with a sprinkle of espresso. Coffee flavor comes out in the finish in what is otherwise dominated by bourbon, molasses and vanilla. The taste of Tuesday lingers for over a minute after each sip is gone. Taste buds are saturated and nearly overwhelmed by the depth of flavor. Mouthfeel is thick and rich, but lightened by adequate carbonation. Considering the 19.5% abv, the drinkability is silly. An amazing beer that is the best of its style.

11-07-2009 04:10:40 | More by JRhode
CenCalMario

4.6/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From tap @ Black Tuesday release party & 2nd serving from tap @ The Provisions store the following day.

Really really liked this years (2011) Black Tuesday. I think I like it more than Chocolate Rain. It's super silky, smooth, buttery, slight booze, chocolate, bourbon. Yum Yum!

Really looking forward to getting to see how the beer develops and changes over time and years.

Can't say enough about it, it's one of the best beers EVER produced.

10-27-2011 21:27:01 | More by CenCalMario
Sandstone

Black Tuesday. It exposes English for the failure of a language it is. No words capable of the profound expression needed.

The ancient Chinese have a symbol. Unpronounceable, but which I have always referred to as The Xa. The Xa is the very concept of inexpressibility. The Xa transcends language and evokes emotion, raw and true.

Black Tuesday is The Xa. A beer which has profoundly impacted my life. With but a single sip, all prior culinary experiences became dull and meaningless by comparison.

Appearance: Black. Impenetrable darkness. A thin brown head, the only sign of life beneath the murky depths.

Smell: Chocolate. Bourbon. Molasses. A delicate richness never before known to beer. Every inhalation is an orgasm of the senses.

Taste: Roasted malts, bourbon. Barrel aged complexity that is beyond the previous limits of my experience.

Mouthfeel: Thick and viscous. Brutal and abusive in many ways, but with the delicate touch of a passionate lover.

Drinkability: Unparalleled. One could drink this forever into the oblivion.

True joy escaped my face in the form of a single tear, rolling down the cheek, into the sublime concoction I was partaking of.

I was one with The Xa.

The pleasure, immeasurable, the pain unthinkable.

White Truffle. Black Caviar. Foie Gras. Even the forbidden Ortolan. They now meant less than nothing to me. They tasted foul and vile by comparison.

Food, I cannot eat. Drink, I cannot drink.

Every day, every minute, since my sip of Black Tuesday, I have been haunted by The Xa.

Help me, Patrick Rue.

Help. Me.

11-23-2009 20:37:25 | More by Sandstone
RandomBattle

4.72/5  rDev +4.2%

Had this at the Black Tuesday event at the Bruery and split a bottle with my friends at a later date, this review is a combination of the two.

Enjoyed out of a Bruery tulip. (how appropriate)

Appearance - Well, there is no head whatsoever on this beer. At first I figured it was because of the small pour at the event but having it a second time, with a larger amount in the glass, yielded the same result. Otherwise its black in the core with hints of reddish brown on the edges.

Smell - A wonderful combination of vanilla, chocolate, malts, and bourbon. Very pleasant and balanced, a lot of people say they just smell booze, while that wouldn't be unthinkable given the ABV there are a lot more wonderful aromas going on in there. My one friend, literally, could not take his nose out of his snifter, he loved it.

Taste - It's amazing. Asides hitting your tongue with a balanced myriad of BB RIS flavors, it is frighteningly smooth. I've had beers that were 10% and had a mild alcohol burn to them. This, not in the slightest. Nothing but smooth sweet vanilla, bourbon, chocolate, and some really nice port wine flavors. Fantastic.

Mouthfeel - Well it is incredibly smooth as I said, however it's not as thick as some other RIS's out there, which is in no way a bad thing, as a matter of fact it completely works for this beer. If it was any thicker this beer would be a bit overwhelming.

Overall - It's great. Very happy to have enjoyed this beer. I am supremely excited to open up the rest of the bottles I have in the future, and am looking forward to going to the Black Tuesday event again this year.

05-04-2011 16:03:18 | More by RandomBattle
Cisco619

4.47/5  rDev -1.3%

750 ml bottle poured into Weyerbacher tulip.

A: Pours an inky black with reddish brown edges that create a mirror effect in the glass. All i see is myself reflected back. Thin covering of off white head after a vigorous pour. After I uncapped it, it proceeded to bubble for about 2 minutes. Catching your eye before even being poured.

S: Dark fruits with a mix of bakers chocolate. A roasted malt aroma dances with the essence of the barrel. First sniffs were a bit boozy, but once the nose overcomes the burn of the alcohol, it is greeted with that complex blend of aromas. Truly enticing.

T: Roasted malt & chocolate followed by a dark fruit sweetness. A woody, bourbon flavor is balanced throughout. It makes itself apparent after you breath in after a sip. A tad sweet, but just as interesting as the nose.

M: Leaves a silky feel, with a bourbon barrel presence that lingers. The sweetness makes it sticky. Thick & syrupy, but not overbearing. A great balanced is achieved here while highlighting key aspects that any great bourbon barrel aged stout achieves.

O: Simply wow! I don't believe in hype, but i can see what the clamor is about over this one. It is a bit sweet & boozy, but that seems to be the hallmark here. The way all the flavors are weaved in is simply mouthwatering. Quite an impressive brew. Older vintages must be drinking amazing.

10-14-2011 04:34:22 | More by Cisco619
Spectre

Have had bottled and on tap. Seams like there's more flavor when served from a bottle.

A. Real thick black with a small dark brown head.

S. Strong bourbon, chocolate, and coffee.

T. Flavor packs a punch and lingers wonderfully after being drank. The perfect amount of chocolate and coffee.

M. Goes down real smooth. Just a little more syrup than most would like but not bad.

Overall I have to say that this is the king of stouts and the only beers that stand near are the variations which furthermore prove my point.

01-11-2013 22:27:29 | More by Spectre
pnkRed

4.9/5  rDev +8.2%

Luckily I have family close enough to the Bruery to where they are willing enough to ship this to me! Thanks!

It pours a deep seducing black, with a carmel head that dissipates gracefully. Once you pop the wax cap off, the enormous aromas fill the room, at times too strong for the weak of nose. Bringing your face closer to the glass, your nostrils are filled with the thick aromas of chocolate, coffee, caramel and vanilla. The bourbon barrel aging makes it's appearance here, but it's not until the first sip that you can tell how long it has been sitting there. The Bourbon is strong, but smooth. At 18.2% the alcohol is definitely present, but it glides across your palate effortlessly. The sweetness is incomparable. Like a rich brownie, I find myself struggling to lift it to my lips, but the notion of how good it tastes keeps me trucking through. I'm mortified to see how this will age. My favorite stout by far!

11-13-2010 04:04:14 | More by pnkRed