Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Black Tuesday - The Bruery

2014: 19.7% ABV
2015: 19.9% ABV
Reviews: 619 | Hads: 3,347
4.8/5  rDev +7.4%

Thanks to Kaiser81 for opening this at the recent tasting he hosted on 2/27. This was the first beer opened among many opened that night, so the notes and palate were fresh.

Poured into my Delirium Tremens snifter glass

A - Thick, pitch black, syrupy with a small layer of mocha bubbles. Lacing doesn't stick to the glass. Just by looking at it, you know it's going to be big and heavy.

S - Chocolate and bourbon dominate. And the chocolate is extensive...there's some cocoa powder, milk, and lots of dark chocolate. It's very rich, like liquid fudge and bourbon mixed. There is just a little bit of an alcohol smell on the back end. I think I served it too cold, as I've had a lot of other smells other times when it was a bit warmer.

T - Wow!! Bourbon notes mixed with dark chocolates, like truffles. There is just a bit of booze after it warms up, and maple comes out as well. Deliciousness! Still makes my knees weak every time I taste it.

M - heavy body mixed with carbonation. I don't think you can expect much more from a beer like this.

D - How is 18.5% mixed into a beer this good and drinkable? It's truly amazing, and I wish I could drink this all the time.

This is the third time I've had it, and it still is just as awesome as if I had waited 4 hours in line to get my bottle allotment.

3.68/5  rDev -17.7%

Had on tap at the release party Nov 27.

Poured a nice jet black with small tan head. A swirl of the glass left a thick residue on the side. Awesome.

Smelled of bourbon and dark fruit. I am almost able to get drunk off inhaling this stuff , its so hot..

One sip and you realize this isnt an ordinary beer. There is plenty of stout style flavors in this ; Coffee, chocolate, bourbon, a bit of a grainy flavor as well, like a chewy nutty taste. However the alc% just bites right through all of it at times when i wish it hadn't. The flavors are just too big all around at this time, an d i wonder how this will age.

Mouthfeel is just about right, as is isnt too thick like bourbon county.

One 4 oz taster and i was feelin pretty buzzed, i couldnt drink a whole bottle alone, or even 2 people probably. It's like drinking liquor with alot more flavor than usual.

Overall I am glad i didnt spend 30$ on a bottle because this to me isn't as good as say The Abyss, and thats 12$.

4.65/5  rDev +4%

Much thanks to kzoobrew for bring this one to the tasting!

A - For a small (4-5oz pour) there was a significant amount of tan head on top of the dark black base. Head dissipates slowly, and then a syrupy viscosity coats the glass.

S - Booze. It dominates. Hints of chocolate and brown sugar. Overall, the tone is booze and sweet.

T - Highly bourbon, but shockingly smooth for the high abv. Some chocolate around in the middle, and some interesting fruit tones in the end that are a bit difficult to pick out. Wonderful.

M - Exactly what you want from a big bodied stout. Its entirely full and creamy, and coats the mouth.

D - My wife could not finish hers (too boozy), so my 5ozs turned to around 9ozs. After that much, I was done, but the booze began to dominate. I dinged it a couple points just because of that.

4.72/5  rDev +5.6%

pours out a thick, deep brown liquid that would accommodate no light to shine through and only some mere ruby highlights on it's edges. It was an exciting moment I had anticipated for months.

The minimal carbonation that culminated right after a vigorous pour, dissipated to leave a halo of moderately sized bubbles where the cherished booze touched the glassed edges.

Black Tuesday's gives off a deep aroma of dark cherries, chocolate, with roasty, as well as prune, raisin and fig notes. Lots of alcohol in the nose with licorice and very rich bourbon to sweeten things out on the end. So far the aromas do not disappoint.

The taste is as complex as it is alluring. The velvety smooth liquid tastes of caramel, chocolate, vanilla, dark fruit, prune and dark cherry that all appear miraculously with a syrupy, sticky alcoholic heat on the finish. In the most simplistic manner, Black Tuesday is one big dark chocolate covered cherry that has been soaking in bourbon.

The complex flavors are a lot for one's palate to contemplate. Its oily yet silky smoothness makes this beer incredible in mouthfeel alone. This revelation simplifies the complexities of flavor, yet the syrupy sweetness leaves the palate with full-bodied remnants that could almost be chewed.

Hype can be undoubtedly bad for a beer, just as it could be good. My opinion of this beer suffered greatly through my first sips, expecting a life-changing event after reading how great it was. Upon more thorough contemplation, and drinking much more Imperial stouts, I realized the intensity of flavor this beer offers. This is a must drink in my opinion.

4.42/5  rDev -1.1%

2011 Version poured into a Bruery Tulip Glass....

A) Black but a bit more opague then I would have thought...thin head no real lacing after a swirl.

S) Bourbon and Vanilla, a little dried fruit.

T) Absolutely amazing, bourbon and vanilla again, figs, plums and cherries the sweetness abounds!

M) Starts off smooth but you do get that alchohol burn!

O) Glad I have another bottle to age...this might be the beer for me that really has the best complimentary smell and taste. Outstanding!

4.32/5  rDev -3.4%

2010 vintage. Shared yesterday by hu5om in La Crosse with a few other BAs. Served in a snifter:

A - Black with brown edges. Little head that dies to bubbly foam around the edges. Slinky lacing retention.

S - Nice bourbon, cream, chocolate and roast. Caramel and brown sugar. Candy, booze and wood.

T - Booze and candy sugar. Chocolate, roast and booze. A bit sweet and fruits, with dark fruits like plums and figs and booze. Oak and pretty hot, probably from the booze. Did I mention that this is pretty boozy?

M - Slightly smooth. Stinging sensation from the booze heat. Heavy and thick, but expected.

D - Not the easiest thing to drink. Thank God that I didn't have to drink this by myself. Although it was a pretty good beer, I think the hype train has taken this for a ride. I'm really glad I got to try it but I won't be seeking it in the future. We even mixed a bit of it with some 120 IPA to make a really extreme black and tan...it was an improvement. Thanks Ryan!

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

I am more of a RB guy than a BA guy, but I feel this beer must be appropriately explored on both sites. I have been blessed enough to have this beverage at least 15 to 20 times by now. Simply a glorious beer! Originally on tap at the brewery (Bruery?) Pours with a large brown head over a black body. Alcohol legs, brown coating and lace all left behind on the glass. Aroma of tar, chocolate, vanilla, bourbon, dark fruits, and caramel. Taste is dark fruits, tar, bourbon, oak, candi sugar, plums, tobacco and bitter chocolate. Extremely long duration. Super viscous mouthfeel, light carbonation, amazing! Hides alcohol immensely well, does not taste or go down like 19.5% (not even close)! Really looking forward to the bottles. Fantastic beer. I never thought I could find a single beer from them better than Melange #3, but it turns out that a comment of that beer was better than the sum that made Melange Numero Three!

2.98/5  rDev -33.3%

Tap at The Bruery barrel room for the RBSG Grand Tasting. Thanks to Patrick Rue and the gang. A pleasure meeting you all. Pours a deep brune, thick tan head erupts. Nose is thick, sweet tomato paste; bourbon, maple, whoppers candies, vanilla extract. Taste is very sweet, whooo, that is a sweet one. Maple, booze, vanilla try to save something that is overloaded with sweetness from the alcohol level as the brewers are telling me this one actually attenuates very low. So the perceived sugar is really just the abv. I thought the Chocolate Rain felt a little less sweet than this one. The finish on this is also pretty hot unlike the CR. 7/24/2012 7/4/5/3/12=3.1

4.73/5  rDev +5.8%

Just a couple small samples from the Bruery crew themselves at downtown johnny browns 22nd annv. Huge brew, alc and bourbon are not that noticable esp considering the alc level is 18-19%. Great part is if you ever open one of these you will need several people to share 1 bottle with. Dark rich thick sticky bourbon. like sweetened condensed milk but with stout and bourbon. not that sweet i guess. super complex and it opened up and grew bigger with just a couple minutes in a glass. not sure how / if this will age. hoping a long long time but it's a freak and can't wait to re-rate from my own bottle and the black rain!

4.66/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Black Tuesday pours, well, black, with a thin and wispy beige head that recedes to a faint ring around the edge of the glass. Thick, vinous legs on this one, too. The aromas are intense: heavy, heavy alcohol presence that's a lot like straight bourbon (though the alcohol aroma settled substantially as the beer warmed up); dark red fruit like raisins and cherries; chocolate; and a very nice oaky vanilla. Flavors are a dream: sweet, booze-drenched chocolate; spicy alcohol heat; caramelized brown sugar; vanilla marshmallows; more vanilla and molasses; more of those dark red fruits; and a faint char or roastiness on the finish. There's almost a sherry- or port-like flavor to Black Tuesday, which transforms this beer into one fit not only for mortals, but also for the gods. Mouthfeel is not thin, but not as viscous as I was expecting. It's just smooth, substantial, and exactly right for what's going on with the flavors. There's definitely a bit of alcohol burn, but this seemed to dissipate as the beer warmed up.

Overall, Black Tuesday is one of the best straight BA stouts I've ever had, maybe slightly ahead of BCBS and slightly behind the king of the roost, Parabola. The flavors are rich, complex, and hard to capture adequately with words. If you're a BA stout fan, you'll love this one.

4.42/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Finally cracked open a bottle to share with a friend last night. Too bad this isn't easier to get a hold of.
A: Pitch black and thick. Nice head retention with the brown frothy head.
S: This is really the highlight of this beer. If you like beers like Firestone Walker 12 or SA Utopias, this beer will be a treat. The aroma is full of bourbon, vanilla, chocolate, fig, and molasses.
T: Not quite as good as the aroma, but still impressive. I read a review where someone mentioned chocolate cake, and that is exactly what I got. There is also a strong bourbon presence here as well.
M: Thick and sweet. Covers the tongue.
D: A bit too boozy and sweet to easily drink a ton. Still a great beer. Damn did it hit me hard after a full glass. I would drink this 6oz at a time.

4.68/5  rDev +4.7%

I've now tried this three separate times, and last night, in celebration of my college graduation (along with my roommate's as well) we had a massive bottle opening, with this being the first.

Appearance: Dark. Pitch black with amber-brown highlights that block all light even from a close source. Among the darkest beers I've ever had SRM wise, it's just darker than dark. Head is a little latent, cropping up at the end of the pour, and lacing thickly as it loosens up.

Smell: Whew, bourbon, chocolate, prune-raisin, cherry, roasted and toasted malts, and a hint of sweetness on the back-end, but predominantly bourbon and chocolate. Boozy character is there as well, but mostly just as more bourbon.

Taste: So, so much smoother than the smell gives the impression of. Bourbon is mellow and soft, accenting the big chocolate, roasted malt sweetness. The dark fruits come in strongly in the aftertaste, and finishes with an intensely complex dark bourbon sweetness. Whew.

Mouthfeel: Second smoothest beer I've ever had, only to its counterpart of Chocolate Rain, which I still think has a better flavor. Carbonation is nice here though, and all three times I've had BT I've appreciated the carbonation's presence in helping add some liveliness to the incredibly thick and heavy body. Still, just so smooth.

Drinkability: It's essentially 40 proof. It's not easy to drink more than a few glasses of this, that's for sure. In that way, drinkability is low. In the way of masking the ABV, seemingly clocking in around GI BCS' 13%, it's eminently so. Catches up to you quickly, too. Altogether, no doubt one of the best beers I've ever had, and I don't even really love bourbon barrel beer. It's not the hype that's made this beer world-famous, but the smoothness, complexity, and fantastic flavors of a beer that clocks in at almost 20% ABV.

4.18/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

The headliner of our winter tasting tonight. First off, large props to BevmoIan and Errantnight for the hookup of Black Tuesday bottles and being reasonable traders of this highly sought after beer. Thanks to you both.

A - Dark pour with a khaki head that settles down.

S - A virtual whose who of smells greet you afer a pour into a snifter. Everything that you can imagine, toffee, caramel, candy sugar, chocolate, coffee, and smoke. The only reason it is not a 5 is that the booze is fairly apparent. I would equate this to Darkness or Dark Lord *2 with a strong boozy smell.

T - Given that it tops out near 20%, I have to give the mad scientiests mad props for this beer. It certainly has the booze behind it, but it is 20% for crying out loud. Actually, very pleasant given the ABV which is a real marvel to the craft of this beer. The booze is there, but it is still great.

M - Slick, chewy, oily and very satisfying.

D - You can split one of these 6 ways and still get a good experience. Try to drink this one by yourself and you will make a fool of yourself. You just can't have more than 4-5 ounces of this and get away with it.

It is a great beer and worthy of the acclaim. Other than the over the top boozy profile, it is REALLY good. Thanks to the above mentioned again for the hook-up.

4.49/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

First actual review, and it will be brief. Blame TMTOBA.

750ml bottle, 2012, served in a snifter.

A: black and thick. Not super thick or syrupy.

S: bourbon, burnt sugar, chocolate.

T: bourbon/booze but not overbearing for 19%. Burnt sugar coated raisins (light raisin taste) mix with chocolate and a dash of vanilla.

M: not super thick, but definitely sticks a bit. Feels a bit hot, and should be sipped. Swig at your own discretion.

O: I'll be honest, initially I was thinking not the best. About 2 sips later it improved. The further I got into this baby, the more I appreciated it. For a super boozy beer, this is top notch. You will definitely notice/taste/smell the booze, but for 19% or so, I think it blends VERY well. The more I think on this beer, and miss the flavor, the more I admire it. Definitely share a bottle with 2-3 others (even if I did not do the same...yikes).

3.9/5  rDev -12.8%

Again thanks to Miketd and Fiver29 for hooking this up for a small Friday tasting.

A: Deep cola black hole looking color with a small but sufficient head. Decent legs but not much lacing.

S: Interesting. I imagine taking some cocoa nibs and soaking them in soy sauce. After that you would take that old bourbon barrel you have out back that your Uncle Cornelius picked up for you that you thought would be good to throw some of your Aunt Mae's famous maple syrup in. Now throw those nibs in that barrel and add some grain to the mix with a little malt. Shake vigorously chill and serve. You would have just recreated Black Tuesday.

T: Read my thoughts on the smell of this beer and translate that to your taste buds. Pretty straightforward.

M: Definitely the highlight of this brew. Viscous. I should probably just keep a spare bottle in my car in case I start leaking oil. Good carbonation.

D: 25.4 oz = 24 hours. Definitely something to share. I have to say this is a very unique and interesting beer. I don't feel it is worth all the hype, some maybe but not all of it. Very good don't get me wrong but you Cali guys can just keep holding on to those bottles for yourselves.

4.97/5  rDev +11.2%

2012 from the most recent release! I shared this with a few of my family members to finish off the NFL season! GO BEARS!

A: Black, motor oil like! I don't think that bourbon barrel aged stouts get much darker!

Smell: sweet bourbon is all I can smell, which is my favorite!!!

taste; Very Very sweet, vanilla, bourbon, chocolate, dark malts aka DELICiOUS!!!

mouthfeel: perfect body on it for the style!

Overall: Okay this is my favorite part. This beer is absolutely fantastic. This beer is 19.2% and you can't taste an ounce of alcohol! no burn!!!! It is very sweet and a complete treat for anyone that enjoys this style.

Get your hands on this, definitely worth the hype! drink it slowly and at 45 degrees (DONT MESS WITH SERVING TEMP) and don't drink it by yourself unless you want to blackout in 40 minutes.

4.69/5  rDev +4.9%

A: This is a nice beautifull black beer with minimal head.

S: Beer with a wonderful smell but I can not name it.

T: Very very sweet.

M: Magnificent and glorious controlled carbonation.

O: Super beer with an extremely delicious very sweet aftertaste.

4.2/5  rDev -6%

Thanks for hooking this up abecall98!

A: Thinner black with beige cream head. Quite ephemeral, liqueur qualities present.

S: Dark fruits, boozy vapors, backing chocolate and vanilla in full effect.

T: Such a sweet beer. Chocolate covered cherries, raisins, bourbony vanilla sauce, figgy finish. Lots of heat throughout but surprisingly muted for 18%.

M: Quite viscous for the ABV. Long lingering booze presence.

O: Split four ways, it was a long drink. Excellent for an evening movie but a challenge at a tasting. We mostly just enjoyed small sips. Glad I tried it but wouldn't trade as much as I did for another.

4.82/5  rDev +7.8%

A-JET black, with a fat brown head, and some STICKY lacing that reaches for miles on my Bruery glass. Head lasts a long long time, and there are little bubbles of co2 heading up the side of the glass.

S- 2000 servings of nesQuik, bourbon, toffee, mocha, and anise.

T- Incredible, there is virtually no trace of alcohol in this beast, save for a little warming feeling on the far reaches of your palate. absolutely incredible beer. Last time i had a beer of this style and hype i was let down but this one is CARBONATED, but not overly so, and so complex it makes you wonder how a brewery torqued out a beer like this months after it was founded, and released just a year later....wow....mad props to Patrick who I had the honor of meeting at this release.

M- Sticky, foamy, lasting, complex, spicy, roasty, and very deceivingly toxic to your liver!

D- I had no idea a beer of this ABV could be so drinkable but in a tasting i would put this up against a port wine. Gave it a 4.5 because its almost like molasses in the finish.

4.97/5  rDev +11.2%

Apperearance: black w/ slight dark brown head

Smell: bourbon, vanilla, chocolate, brown sugar.

Taste: chocolate, port, bourbon, vanilla, oakiness, brown sugar, caramel, and a malty finish. Complex, balanced, drinkable.

Mouth: Very thick and flavorful all the way down. Not much alcohol taste or burn at all amazingly. Can't believe that this beer is this strong and you can't tell.

Overall: It's the best IS I've ever had. I'm shocked by the abv and it is way more drinkable than any other beer or wine of this strength I've had. More drinkable than many beers of half this strength, perfect score for drinkability.

Serving type: on-tap at the Bruery release

4.47/5  rDev 0%

poured from bottle into a tulip. Thank you Jodan for this beer. Shared with 3 others (Mnbearsfan, Daveay, and Pat) Reviewed by notes.
A - Very black, black as black can be. Very to no head at all, what head is present, reminds me of a mocha color.
S - Smell of popcorn and butter. Very larges scents of toffey and caramel.
T - A sweet stout, you can mos def taste the booze in it. I'm glad I have two of these, that way I can compare with some age on it.
M - you can tell the abv, but easy to drink. Not a lot of carbonation, which is the way I prefer stouts of this abv.
O - worth the hype. I thoroughly enjoyed this beer. Will definitely seek this beer out again.

4.3/5  rDev -3.8%

From notes on 1/1/12:

Bottle poured into a wine glass.

Pours black, with a bit of light seeping through giving dark brown edges. Tan head quickly retreats and leaves no form of lacing. When tilting the glass it looks a bit thinner than I previously imagined.

Bourbon barrel is very intense with lots of vanilla and charred oak. Rich chocolate, brown sugar, and dark fruit are all present.

Wow. Very sweet from the malt and chocolate. Barrel character remains very strong in the taste. The dark fruit came out much more so than in the nose. Dark cherries, fig, and plums.

Carbonation was somewhat low, which was surprising, and the body is medium.

This is one of the best barrel aged stouts I've had, and easily the most rich and intense. A quintessential sipping stout. Give yourself and another (or 3) an afternoon for this one.

4.37/5  rDev -2.2%

Thanks to Stephen Johnson for sharing this at the New Brew Thursday 1 year anniversary.

It poured a dark black with a tan head. The smell was surprising, not as hot as I thought it would be, sweet chocolate, bourbon, vanilla. The flavor pretty much followed suit, very sweet chocolate, some bourbon and vanilla, surprisingly little alcohol flavor for the abv. Mouthfeel was surprisingly light for such a big beer, I'd say it's a smooth, lightly carbonated, medium body.

I'd say this is more of a dessert beer. It drinks very nice but don't think you can finish a bottle by yourself.

3.84/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

2012 vintage split with my two brothers and dad, poured into snifters. Appearance was jet-black with no head to speak of. Lots of alcohol legs.

Smell was pretty inviting. Lots of booze, but balanced out by tons and tons of dark fruits and chocolate.

Taste, alas was just a bit too intensely overwhelming for me. It's obvious from the smell that you are about to catch a beatdown, but the bourbon is just ferocious. Don't get me wrong, I like bourbon well enough, but this is far and away the most aggressively barrel-forward beer I have ever tried. I split this bottle four ways, and the one guy who really liked bourbon thought it was awesome, the rest of us agreed that this is one that should probably be laid down for a long time. The heat was also very formidable, as you would expect from such a huge beer. There is plenty going on here, but my brain was just screaming "BOURBON" and "HEAT".

The mouthfeel was full-bodied, sweet and sticky, appropriate for the style.

Overall, this one was ok, but just a little over the top for me. Perhaps being consumed at the end of a long, intense stout season had a lot to do with it..I will let the other bottle I have sit until the fall and revisit hopefully a little more mellowed out version, and with a renewed desire for big, barrel-aged stouts after a summer of sours and IPA's.

4.09/5  rDev -8.5%

2012 Vintage. 75 cl. bottle sampled. Exited about trying this one finally, this has been a long time want of mine.

Huge gusher, seriously why? Almost 20 % ABV, really weird and really irritating.

A: Black, basically no head.

S: Huge sticky molasses nose, sweet sugar, alcohol, vanilla, very sweet, very sweet, nice,…

T: Lots of caramel, vanilla oak, sweet molasses, brown sugar, creamy, very sweet and very simple, no complexity and terribly exiting honestly. Finish is almost pure alcohol in the finish, light bitter herbs, sticky bitter stuff, quite sticky stuff, bit burn, near pure alcohol,… Seriously it is like they made a very simple RIS and poured some vodka in here, really drags this one down for me personally.

B: Flat, oily and sticky whole

It wasn’t a bad beer per se but it fell tremendously short of its reputation. It is very expensive, hard to get & it is nowhere near even my top 100 RIS’s. Simple, ridiculously, boozy, I really, really do not get the appeal of this beer.

Apparently as it turned out this works really well when blended with fruit lambic.

Black Tuesday from The Bruery