Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Black Tuesday - The Bruery

Reviews: 619 | Hads: 3,349
4.52/5  rDev +1.1%

The Beers of California

Bottled Date: 2012 Vintage

A: Poured into a oversized wine glass boasting a jet black body with a light brown head that quickly settles down.

S: Strong bourbon alcohol vapors intertwined with licorice, chocolate, espresso, marshmallows, brown sugar, fig and dark fruit.

T: The bourbon is the backbone of this brew which has components of woodiness building through the palate ending in a warm alcohol finish. Built on the bourbon are notes of smoke, espresso, dark chocolate, vanilla, and marshmallow which bring to mind scenes of sitting by a fire with a cup of mocha making s'mores. Running parallel with the bourbon are dark bread and brown sugar maltiness. On top of this there are some dark fruit characteristics: prunes, figs, and raisins.

M: Full bodied, smooth, with some chewiness and carbonation which keeps the feel interesting.

O: The new online allocation system allowed me to grab two bottles of this difficult to obtain brew. An Imperial Stout with an amazing 19.2 ABV. The alcohol is present but not overwhelming dressed with a melange of flavors which makes this an amazing beer to experience. A holiday beer that I am thankful to experience this holiday season.

4.99/5  rDev +11.6%

Outta freekin site this is good. Has replaced Berserker as " best ever".

Viscous, strong, sugary, fresh bourbon, aged bourbon, and bourbony hints of bourbon. mouthfeel still has active carbonation.

Vintage 2012.

In the category of thick, heavy, no holds barred RIS: this is fantastic. It is like BCBS x 1.5, eclipse x2. Wow.

4.52/5  rDev +1.1%

Had at the Bruery Provisions during a homebrew club meeting. Extremely viscous and opaque black. Minimal light seeps through the edges in a brown tint. Small head is dark brown and leaves a surprising amount of lace for such a high alcohol brew.

As expected, nose is full of roast malt, chocolate, and coffee. Lots of honey, bourbon, soy sauce, and sherry-like oxidation notes.

Very thick, coats the palate. Huge taste of honey and sherry. Lots of roasty coffee and chocolate coupled with notes of bourbon, oak, and a warming alcohol finish.

This is one big beer. Insanely complex and tasty. Obviously, this one's a sipper.

Thank you abecal98 for sharing this heaven sent beer.

A - The beer pours a complete Obsidian black. Its beautiful how it seems to not only adsorb light but it reflects it, much like the rock. Amazingly small bubbles in dark khaki head

S - Starts off a clean sweetness deep dark chocolate the a wonderful black cherry. Back round notes of honey and vinilla come through as well.

T - Perfect complexity dark dry chocolate that moves to dreamy dark fruits. Roast malts and bitterness finish n an ever satisfying finish. There are subtle notes of Vanilla and Honey which enhance the flavor profile. As the beer warms it brings out further surprises of Bourbon and oak. The Honey and sweet malt stand up a bit more but the chocolate and cherries still stand on top.

M - Even well balanced medium body, thick flavor ebbs to a soft finish

O - The reason for the perfect review is because of the vibrancy of each flavor and its how each note does not over power the next. This is one of the best beers I've ever had.

I really like this beer. Everything about it is a great stout. Not overly boozy, though it is front and center all the time.

What I like most is the quote on the front of the bottle. All things are fleeting. Bulls and bears will come and go, but pigs get slaughtered.

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

OK, so my first foray into rating beers officially on this site. Reviewing from last night's notes upon my opening my first bottle. Offhandedly, this was just as good as on-tap at the release. It's marginally better than the first time I had it, some months back at the Bruery, where I thought the body was a little thin.

Appearance is pitch black, light ruddy edges of brown. Thick, viscous, though not as akin to used motor oil as Dark Lord. So happy to see a small, coffee-colored head at the top. It stays the whole time. A swirl of the glass coats the interior, so that the glass itself is stained brown.

Smell is exceptional - just a bit of boozy heat, which I like. Powerful aroma, with dark fruit, rich dark chocolate, coffee, and a touch of bourbon. Not my favorite-smelling stout, but it's way up there.

Taste... well, suffice to say that this is the best tasting imperial stout I've ever had. Massive dark fruit, roasted coffee, a bit of chocolate, and some heat. But seriously, you cannot tell me that this is 20%. The taste tells me 10%. Is that cherry I taste? Where the hell did that come from? Pretty sweet too, but somehow it works. An epic after-dinner beer.

Mouthfeel is crazy good. Thick, viscous, with enough carbonation that it feels alive in your mouth.

Drinkability is the only, and I mean only spot where I can take off any points. I was actually struggling with whether to give a 5 or a 4.5 here. Because honestly, I don't think it's possible for a beer of this strength and complexity to be any more drinkable than BT is. However, this beer is almost too much... you definitely need one or two people to share it with, because this is a damn beast. Sooo... yes, I will have to give it a 4.5.

Overall: This is probably my favorite beer of all-time. It's certainly among the most complex and well-constructed beers I've ever had. Hot damn, I'm glad that I've got more of this. Don't listen to the cynics that tell you that this beer is "overly hyped" or that its scores are artificially inflated. This beer is the real deal. It would be tough to claim that there's any better imperial stout out there.

Opened this bottle and shared it with friends. One including BA DwnTwnBwn and ebingen.

A - pours a viscious thick black. As I poured it into my tulip, the oily slick beer grabs the inside of the glass as it pours in. A nice inch of tan bubbly head stays at the top. Not much lacing, but the beer leaves a constant thin head at top.

S - chocolate, bourbon, sweet molases. All those flavors and more come in the nose. So much going on. Another wiff hints of coffee ad licorice. Amazing.

T - wow. So much going on in this beer. First taste hits with brown sugar. After that comes slight coffee. Then, the hint of dark melted chocolate blasts it's way in and is followed by the taste of ripe cherries. Damn, the flavor profile contues to develop as it warms. Bourbon now, slight vanilla, a pleasing bourbon burn pleasantly coats your throat at warmer serving temperature. This beer is a slice of heaven in a glass. What you expect in such a strong, viscous complex stout is here.

M - perfectly carbonated. This beer is thick, chewy, and sharp. The beer fills up your mouth, and the flavor explodes with the sticky beer hitting every flavor receptor. Perfect.

D - for a 19.5% abv beer, the drinkability is threw the roof. So damn drinkable. Every sip males me want more. Can't get enough.

O - wow, even better than the first time I had this beer. So good. Something everybody should try.

4.95/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured into my Mikasa snifter.

Pours a deep black with very little head. Almost no lacing.

Smell is vanilla and bourbon. Smells soo decadent. Incredible.

Taste is incredible. Vanilla more vanilla and the great bourbon. Soo smooth. Heaven

Mouthfeel is decadent. Thick smooth, light carbonation. Excellent.

Overall this is my second favorite stout of all time. Simply superb. Makes me want to buy a reserve society membership just for this.

4.62/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pour: Dark brown black almost with a small bubbly dark brown head.

Nose: Fudge brownie, vanilla, oak, toasted coconut, toffee, leather, small amount of alcohol, charred oak and perhaps a small amount of alcohol and tobacco.

Taste: Fudge brownie and dark chocolate at first, vanilla, charred oak, toffee, leather, toasted coconut, not much alcohol at all, slight leather, tobacco, and more chocolate.

Mouthfeel: Slightly viscous, sligtly oily, no lacing, no legs, really a thick monster of a beer though.

Overall: A fantastic beer. This was split with my father and was enjoyed prevalently by both. What a fantastic beer to share. This one is going into my top 3 beers of all time. Took two hours to enjoy. Fantastic and amazing beer. The Bruery really knows how to make beer. What an amazing beer. Cheers to the Rue family.

4.79/5  rDev +7.2%

2010 Vintage.

A- Pours a very dark brown with a 1 and a half finger light brown head. The bubbles are fairly large, though some smaller bubbles intermingle. The head recedes to a ring around the glass but there is surprisingly good head retention for a beer with this high of an alcohol content. Alcohol legs on the glass.

S- Smell jumped out as soon as I heard the first hiss from the cap as I was opening it. Bourbon and chocolate jump out first. Then some sweet dark fruit syrups with plumb and raisin. Over time the aroma became predominantly soy sauce and spicy teriyaki. Very Asian influenced.

T- Molasses, bourbon, and sweet dark fruit syrups (plumb, raisin) hit me first. This reminded me of Sweet Horizon. The soy sauce and spicy teriyaki began to take over the taste the more I drank. This is a very sweet beer. Light amounts of heat going down the esophagus into the belly. Not nearly as boozy as I thought this was going to be. Very approachable now, in fact. They did a nice job with this.

M- Full bodied and smooth. Has a fairly high amount of carbonation in the mouth, actually.

O- Very Asian influenced with the high levels of soy sauce and teriyaki in the aroma and taste. Surprised I haven't heard anything about this regarding this beer before. Other beers people claim to get these flavors I do not, while this beer to me was dominated by the salty Asian sauces. I think this is excellent stuff, though. Big, sweet, and full flavored. Has a delicious factor due to the sweetness. Great beer to split with a friend, or few.

2011 Black Tuesday review on 4/21/2012:

The bourbon and oak are backed down a bit in the taste on this vintage, and sweet caramel, molasses, and dark fruits reign supreme. The oak and bourbon fall to the background. A very sweet dessert beer. Heat is evident, though it presents more of a warming than a burn. One of the best out there. Wish there were more chocolate and bourbon flavors like the 2010, but just as good if not a little better than last years.

4.92/5  rDev +10.1%

2011 vintage served from a 750mL bottle into a snifter.

A - Blacker than black. Couldn't shine a light through this to save my life.

S - Wow. Boozy, chocolate, vanilla, coconut, caramel, burnt toast, figs, tobacco, bourbon... So complex. This is what Willy Wonka's factory must smell like.

T - Lots of chocolate and bourbon. Noticeable oak character. Complex, even more so as it warms up. Incredibly smooth for over 18%.

M - Very thick body. Carbonation is higher than expected (bottle actually foamed a bit).

O - I don't give out many 5's but this one deserves it. The best RIS I've had, hands down.

4.17/5  rDev -6.7%

Reviewed from notes. Thanks to pecorasc for splitting this 3 ways

A: Pours Dark Black. Medium tan head, but NO lacing. Looks like it came out a little thin.

S: One word: Molasses! dark fruits come through and I pick up alcohol, but not the 19.5%. Nice bourbon and vanilla aromas. Smells a lot like the 08 Darkness I had a little while back.

T: Very sweet. Lots of alcohol/bourbon in the front. Dark Fruit appears in the finish with molasses and vanilla. I like the sweetness, but if you dont, this beer is not for you. Also, the alcohol burn is there.

M: Surprisingly thin. I was hoping for more body with this and some nice chewy thickness.

D: Its sweet and high alcohol, so you cant drink a lot of this, but overall, I thought my 3rd of the bottle serving was perfect.

4.41/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The story of Black Tuesday. When glazeman and I first started our journey into the world of BA, BT was on our radar. I remember when it was first released, the hype that followed, and how it made its way to the top of the BA top 100. I never thought I would get the chance to try this beer. When the second release (2010) gave people the opportunity to purchase BT online, we jumped at the opportunity. We each got a bottle, no thanks to the broke-ass internet connection at the Hines VA. As someone who repeatedly proclaims, "support your midwest brewers," especially in terms of big stouts, I really was hoping to dislike this beer. What can I say? It is outstanding.

The appearance is nothing too special - tiny head that quickly fades - not a whole lot else going on. The smell is outstanding - booze, dark fruit, bourbon, vanilla. The taste is even better - vanilla, dark roasts, and an awesome chocolate after taste. Mouthfeel is also out of this world - just about as thick as Dark Lord. In general, this brew is very similar to DL, but a little bit less sweet, and obviously a lot more boozy vanilla. The drinkability is high, and the outrageous ABV is not even noticeable. I wish I had more of this.

I got told by this beer. Period. I wanted to hate it, but it was amazing. My standard proclamation needs an addendum - "support your midwest breweries, but get your hands on some Black Tuesday."

Enjoyed a 2010 at Darkness Days this year.

Pours a black, toasted marshmallow head- amazing laces in the glass. The aroma is pure bourbon. It is incredible how the bourbon aroma held up. Dark Chocolate, Toffee, Caramel, and Blackberry also present in the nose. Taste reveals a medium-body stout. Matches the nose perfect- bourbon forward, with nice dessert hints as it warms. NO WAY is this 20% ABV. Hides it perfect. I think that BT is great fresh, or with 2-5 years of ago- something we happens during that ~1 year mark- but before and after that it is sublime. If you can snag this vintage, do.

4.89/5  rDev +9.4%

On tap at the Bruery 08/02/09 before the official release.

A - pitch black, fairly thin tan head with some light lacing.

S - dark fruits, figs, dates, prunes, bourbon, apricot

T - Very complex. Coffee, chocolate, roasted maltyness, smokiness, dark fruits: like figs, prunes, dates, vanilla, sweet, brown sugar, oak and of course, the ever prominent bourbon backing.

M - Pretty slippery on the tongue, but also coats your tongue. Low to moderate carbonation.

D - ABV is EXTREMELY well hidden. And not to sweet like most high ABV beers. Although this is IS a little bit sweet for a stout, it's very balanced. A little hot, but not what you'd think, it's scary drinkable. I would compare this to GI BCS, but a ton more complex, higher ABV, and more drinkable.

4.32/5  rDev -3.4%

It came on a Monday night....Black Tuesday!! Hugh thanks to the generosity of BeerFM Andy for sharing this one of a kind brew. Pours a thick midnight black a la motor oil with a two finger tan head. Sweet aroma taste which is body slammed by the hot booziness. Great tones of chocolate, vanilla, mild bourbon, and molasses.

A cage match in a glass between the sweet and the booze which can be fatiguing. Think I'll skip the next train fuel station and just pour Black Tuesday into the tank. A powerhouse of a stout.

4.42/5  rDev -1.1%

Big thanks to Khumbard for pouring this. Bottle 2010.

A: Pours a dark brown, almost black, but not quite. Not quite as thick as I was expecting, more like a strong ale, less an RIS. A thin layer of tan foam.

S: Smells sweet, with vanilla, and raisins/prunes, hint of dark chocolate and roasted malts. Booze, lots of booze.

T: Sweet and boozy. Raisins and prunes are dominate, with hints of oak, vanilla, dark chocolate nuances, but not as much as the nose would suggest.

M/D: Thinner than the style would suggest, good carbonation. Thought this would have benefited from being thicker, or maybe I just should not have expected it. The alcohol is very present, but it makes itself known after the swallow right in the middle of the chest. Very much like a whisky would. Awesome beer though.

4.97/5  rDev +11.2%

Enjoyed on-tap at the release in a Bruery snifter.

Pours opaque and pitch black, with only a tiny bit of dark brown head. Smell is chocolate, caramelized sugar, and loads of sweet malts, with some bourbon as well. I was glad that the bourbon wasn't overdone. Too much would have ruined the excellent balance of this great beer. Taste is right in line with the aroma, primarily sweet chocolate and bourbon, but again not overdone. The big surprise is that there is no note of alcohol. I'm not sure how there can be nearly 20% alcohol in this beer! This is a big, full bodied monster of a beer, but the carbonation (not high, but appropriate) made it a smooth drink.

I was pleasantly surprised with Black Tuesday versus Chocolate Rain. While the additional blast of chocolate and vanilla in the cask version was wonderful, the carbonation in Black Tuesday balanced the beer out and made it much more enjoyable to drink. I believe I read about someone doing a 50/50 blend, which probably would have been delicious! I wish I would have thought of it.

The lack of head was my only gripe with this beer. It seems quite cold when served, so perhaps if it were poured a bit warmer there would have been more of a head. Regardless, this is one of the best beers I have ever tasted.

There was some discussion at the release regarding aging Black Tuesday, but I'm not sure what it could gain. If the bottles are force carbonated and not bottle conditioned, then they should be ready to drink and I can't imagine this beer getting any smoother.

4.28/5  rDev -4.3%

Must say this was as good as advertised...

Beautiful Big Black Pour with an amazing nose!!

Sweet sweet bourbon in this bad boy. From the nose to the taste.. Big and Bold but also extremely smooth. Warming all over !!!

VEry good beer...So glad i was able to try this one!

3.43/5  rDev -23.3%

The infamous Black Tuesday...shared with a few friends...

The bottle pours a richly deep black liquid with a small brownish head. The edges look almost purple.
Aroma starts out nice...rich chocolate, dark fruits, molasses and vanilla. But as this beer warms it starts to head a bit down hill. Overly sweet chocolate and a ton of booze...almost rubbing alcohol like.
Taste is similar to the aroma...lots of rich chocolate, dark fruit, some oak and vanilla. But again as it warms it becomes way too boozy and way to sweet, like drinking chocolate syrup right from the bottle. The booze is also very overpowering at this point.
Mouthfeel is super sticky, overly sweet and very viscous.
I have to say drink ability is not great, but its not horrible. All the sweetness and booze that appears as this warms really kills the drink ability. I find it really hard to believe a lot of these ratings that are giving drink ability such a high score, these people mush be missing a palate and taste buds...Patrick is a great brewer and i applaud the effort, but its a little much...

4.49/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Black Tuesday...what a name. Enjoyed as part of a tasting of BT, GM, MW, and CR.

A-Few beers will ever look as deadly. A brief glance at the label and you'll know (at 19.7%) this isn't something to take lightly. This beer doesn't have a color, it's strictly the absence of all light.

S-Huge alcohol up front, almost as if smelling a spirit. Bourbon is slightly there, but is overpowered by the alcohol content of the beer itself.

T-Husky up front. Lost of malt in here. Hard to pick out a dominant flavor. The bourbon/malt/alcohol is very complex.

F-Lots of alcohol means this one is a sipper.

O-Share with friends.

4.56/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2013 version, and still tasting quite hot from the booze. Have had this fresh, and expected some more of the nuanced flavors to come through more, and get less alcohol, but no dice. I still get bourbon over anything else, but coffee and chocolate are certainly there as well. A wonderful beer to share with friends.

4.19/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2013 Bottle

Pour - Looks like cola coming out of the bottle and builds as a dark brown / black body with a one finger carbonated tan head. Appears a bit thin from the pour and voids on the head

Smell - Bourbon hits you up front. Baking chocolate follows and I get some dark fruits as well which turns way to almost a licorice scent.

Taste - Lot of fruit and licorice up front on this one. Chocolate isn't as pronounced as it was on the nose, instead I pick up a lot of caramel with a hint of vanilla.

Feel - Mouthfeel is nice. I was expecting it to be a bit thin base on the pour and color as it came out of the bottle. Smooth on the mouthfeel and just enough there to allow you to mull it over a bit. Would love it to be thicker, but nice where it's at.

Overall: Nice BA stout. Can tell the booze is there compared to some other high abv stouts, but it is well done. Good flavor profile and gets better as it warms. Reminds me a bit of Boris Bairille Aois

4.17/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thick, black pour with no head. Aroma is sweet and of bourbon. Flavor is very balanced for something this big, very sweet and malty but not as hot as I would have expected. Overall a great brew, but I'm not sure it was worth all the hype that surrounded it.

4.87/5  rDev +8.9%

Captured in a recent trade, big thank you here.

A-Death black as it poured out with a very heavy body to it, very thick looking. I gave it a good hard pour to see if a head would develop at all, minimal head did develop and it disappeared quickly leaveing a ring around the edge of the glass.

S-Very different than any other BB aged stout i have had before, the bourbon was very mild with a heavy chocolate cake sweetness. Overall i am very impressed how this does not smell like alcohol at all at 18.2%

T-Should be a 6 for just how much flavor this has!! I have NEVER had a beer stick to my tongue and mouth like this did, i could taste it for what seemed like 15 minutes in my mouth (this grossed out the wife when she tried) after a small sip. The best part here is it still was very balanced with a TON of different flavors destroying my tastebuds.

M-THICK and RICH, coates your mouth like no other beer can or could!!!

D-For 18.2% i would say pretty damn good.

Overall this beer has always had a ton of hype and i can tell you that it has exceeded all of my expectations, this probably was one of the most epic beer moments for me. I can say one thing for sure and that is "I will be at the next release of this beer".

Black Tuesday from The Bruery