Black Tuesday - The Bruery

2011: 18.3% ABV
2012: 19.2% ABV
2013: 18.9% ABV
2014: 19.7% ABV
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,107 | Reviews: 618
4.8/5  rDev +5.5%

The beer pours a pitch black color with a 1/4" brown head that fades to lacing. The aroma is out of this world. It's warm and dark with excellent bourbon barrel character. The black and roasted malts are present and accounted for. The taste is perfect in my opinion. It's a strong black, earthy, roasted beer with a thick rich flavor that goes down warm and finishes the same with a nice bourbon character. The bourbon really compliments the overall experience. The mouthfeel is exceptional. It is a full bodied beer with near perfect carbonation. This is my new favorite beer in the world. It has everything I'm looking for in a drinking experience.

4.97/5  rDev +9.2%

A huge thanks to jhenry04 for coming through for me on this one in a very fair and reasonable trade.

I served this at 54 degrees into my Dogfish Head snifter. On first pour, there is very little carbonation until five seconds or so pass and a nice stream of bubbles begins to work its way to the surface. A frothy, Cappuccino-like head forms on a second vigorous pour. Swirling this around in the glass produces tremendous legs like a fine sherry or port.

The smell is outstanding. As soon as I worked my way through the two layers of black wax and pried off the cap, a beautiful caramel, cocoa aroma was released. Sticking my nose deep into the snifter I get a host of bourbon-like flavors ranging from vanilla to toffee to sultana raisins. Gorgeous. I spent a good ten minutes just inhaling the aromas before taking my first sip. There was certainly a strong presence of alcohol in the nose which was leading me to believe that this would be quite hot.

Upon my first taste I was immediately struck by how the nose transfered to the taste in every way but one - the alcohol was much more subdued than what I expected. Notes of muscovado sugar, plums and candied pecans all come through on subsequent sips. This is heady stuff!

Mouthfeel was tremendous. Very viscous but never chewy. A perfect amount of carbonation for the high alcohol and a fantastic achievement considering it's nearly 40 proof!

Drinkability is off the charts for the style and high alcohol content. Despite the heat in the nose and very sweet body, it never becomes hot or cloying. Beautifully done!

In retrospect Black Tuesday resembles Utopias, the FW Anniversary beers, MS Arctic Devil Barleywine and even J.W. Lees Harvest Ale more than it does many of the top Imperial Stouts out there.

Is this the best beer in the world? One could certainly argue for or against and have valid points on both sides. What is indisputable to me is that Black Tuesday is a tremendous brewing achievement that shows great finesse in a huge package. All I know is that I spent nearly two hours drinking this beer and when I swirled the last sip in my mouth and swallowed I was deeply satiated.

4.42/5  rDev -2.9%

Huge thanks to GregSVT for sharing this bottle. I was beginning to doubt whether I would ever get to try this one.

2011 vintage.

The beer pours a very dark brown to black color with a few brown bubbles but no real head.

The aroma is awesome. I get a ton of bourbon and molasses notes, as well as some raisins, chocolate and roasted malt. The other barrel-aged notes also come through and contribute quite a bit of maple and oak.

The flavor is just as good, if not better than the aroma. The first notes are some sweet chocolate, which is quickly followed by a heavy amount of bourbon. I also get some great maple, oak and vanilla notes from the barrel-aging process, as well as some coffee and brown sugar. The alcohol is very present and the beer is extremely sweet.

Medium to thick mouthfeel and low carbonation. Thanks again Greg for sharing this bottle.

4.59/5  rDev +0.9%

I have had this beer multiple times over the last few years, this rating will be a combination of them all. The numerical ratings are from a 09 bottle. I recently brought a 2011 bottle to Imminent Liquidation II so I decided to finally write a review.

A - Pours pitch black with a nice one and a half finger tall tan head leaving a good amount of lace down the sides of the glass.

S - Smells of milk chocolate, vanilla, dark roasted malt, bourbon, dark fruits, oak, brown sugar and some oak. The booze is apparent throughout. I can not think of anything more I would want in an imperial stout.

T - Starts off with a ton of chocolaty sweetness and lots of warm bourbon quickly giving way to a mix of dark roasted malt, vanilla, dark fruit and brown sugar. Finish has some sweet heat with some lingering dry oak tannins.

M - Big, smooth, boozy feel that is just great. I prefer these with a year or so on them to help kill some of the booze. There is no doubt that this is one big beer.

O - This is undoubtedly one of the best imperial stouts out there. When it is fresh it can be a little too harsh for my liking but once the booze mellows it really comes into its own. I will never turn down one of these.

4.75/5  rDev +4.4%

4.25/5  rDev -6.6%

4.97/5  rDev +9.2%

On-tap at The Bruery itself, 8oz.,

A: Pours pitch black with a light brown head, spots of lace.

S: Robust smell full of chocolate syrup, coffee and licorice.

T: Big flavours, heavy on the dark chocolate, molasses, licorice, anise and mocha. Bourbon barrels come in and add touch of vanilla, wood and cinnamon spice. Pretty much perfect for what an imperial stout should taste like.

M: Full-bodied, thick and viscous, but incredibly smooth and balanced. No heat from the alcohol is astonishing, but something I've come to expect from The Bruery's big beers. Dark Lord is the only beer I can recall having a comparably big mouthfeel.

D: Aside from Partridge in a Spice Tree this is my favourite beer ever from The Bruery, and it will actually be available for more than a weekend. I can't really find a fault with this beer. So easy to drink for its style, it should be illegal. It's hard to say $25 or $1/oz. for a bottle of beer is even a good deal, but for this one it's a steal.

3.68/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I have had the privilege of trying this brew each year it was released but never got around to writing a formal review. This time I am making it happen with a fresh 2012 bottle into a matching Bruery snifter. The brew pours brown in color as it streams out of the bottle and collects in my glass as a darker fudgy brown color. About a finger of khaki head sits atop and fades to a thin film across the top with less than a half finger holding around the outside perimeter of the glass. Rising bubbles maintain that partial forth around the edge of the glass seemingly throughout the entire duration. When held to the light, the brew shows some lighter brown coloration around the edges with hints of red.

The aroma of this brew is sweet with suggestions of vanilla and chocolate. There are plenty of dark fruity alcohol esters present in the nose mixing with a significant supporting role of whiskey. The residual sweetness of the nose is reminiscent of belgian candy sugar coupled with vinous notes. As the brew warms up, some herbal hop notes come forward. When swirled and as the brew warms, there are very minor roasty elements.

The initial flavors are quite sweet but there is a significant amount of booze also present that is borderline numbing to the tongue. A lot of dark fruity alcohol mingles on the tongue creating flavors akin to raisins, plumes, prunes and molasses with again, a kick of solvent alcohol. When bigger sips are taken, there is a bit of an herbal hop present and dry oak quality. As it warms up, it gets somewhat medicinal with a greater focus on whiskey aspects instead of beer.

This is a full bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. It has a huge alcohol impact that really suppresses the overall drinkability. There is quite a bit of complexity here to take in and I gotta say this one has me scratching my head. I dont want to be "that guy" who proclaims the Bruery and this beer has changed but quite frankly, this is not the same beer I remember enjoying in years past. I realize the recipe isn't the same each year and the alcohol varies but this is a significant variance from years past. This is more like a fruity/vinous dark belgian strong ale than the thick and syrupy chocolate smoothie of a beast stout I remember.

4.65/5  rDev +2.2%

Review #600

Poured into a mini snifter glass.

Pours a small tan head. Decent retention for the small layer. Color is pretty much black, but around the edges it is has copper hue to it.

Aroma: Chocolate, bourbon, vanilla, oak, raisins, cherries, plums. It smells hot, but very nice.

Taste: A little hot off the top. Lots of bourbon. It's not bad fore the high abv. Vanilla, oak, and tons of dark dried fruits: raisins, cherries, and plums. Chocolate and earthy hops.

Mouthfeel: A little hot, huge malty beer. A little creamy as well. Full bodied with a decent amount of carbonation. I was told this beer had no heat with it, but it brings a lot to the table, granted that it should, being 19.5%.

EDIT: After being able to drink a lot more of this beer at the Bruery, I have to adjust my scores. This beer is really amazing and I wanted to keep drinking it. Superb.

Overall, this beer is good, but I can see it getting a lot better with age on it. People claim that the abv doesn't show at all, well I am going to have to call that a lie. There is definitely a fair amount of heat showing in this beer. I will be reevaluating this beer once I get to try it again with some age on it.

4.38/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

2(!) shared bottles.

Wonderful strong rich aroma with well set contribution from the BBL

Flavor, a bit more BBL but plenty of other flavors too including a strong molasses note.

Well hidden ABV - drinks like 'just' 10%. Very smooth and mild for 19.2% ABV.

4.47/5  rDev -1.8%

Review from notes. 2011 Vintage.

A: Pours black with a small khaki colored head on top with decent retention. No lacing.

S: Lots of bourbon, oak, vanilla, and dark fruits, mostly rasins and a little bit of plum. There is a slight boozy note to it, which didn't really surprise me at 18%.

T: Up front there is a lot of brown sugar, molasses and chocolate. The oak comes through a little, and then there is nice rush of bourbon and vanilla.

M: Full bodied, very smooth with the abv surprisingly well hidden.

O: A fantastic beer, not something I could drink everyday from the abv, but a great beer to share.

4.05/5  rDev -11%

Thanks goes out to ___ for providing the bottle, went into some small snifters and split with friends. Review 475.

Midnight sky black with some dark muddy spots towards the edges. The beer pours thick and oil like and just looks like some gooey syrup. You may want to put some plastic down on your couch before enjoying this near 20%er, things could get tricky. Not really any head, save for a few small patches of brown bubbles. Nothing in terms of lace but there is a brown dirty film that remains on the glass.

Smells like sweet heaven. Black Tuesday has a bold nose, and it reaches far from the glass. An equal amount of roasted malt and chocolate attack the senses, opening my eyes. A nice vanilla base and minimal coffee. The bourbon is huge and makes me smile. BT smells like a souped up Bourbon County Stout mixed with a small bit of World Wide Stout, but with even more malt sweetness. Some molasses and licorice. The alcohol is masked very well but it's not 100% out of the way.

Tuesday is big, It's huge in fact. The two main tastes is dark rich chocolate and roasted malts working in unison together. Under that is more malt giving off more sweetness plus caramel. Expensive bourbon makes a move next and leaves my mouth a bit hot and boozy, but im loving it. The bourbon shines with temp. changes. Some oak from the barrel. Surprised not to get a lot of coffee out of BT, it's very minimal. For a beer this size I was expecting some soy sauce, and i got some but just a touch, phew. Molasses and more malt in the finish, this stuff is big.

The alcohol is masked well but I can still tell it's there easily with a slight hotness, it's small and not in the way. BT is thick and viscous, chewy and RAW. Kind of goes down like a light syrup while taking small sips. This has a certain slickness going down leaving all the ingredients on the tounge, and then finishing with some hot booze. The bourbon seems to be sticking around the longest.

Slowly and surely I will make it through this darkness. BT demands some time and patience and a plate of assorted chocolates to heighten the experience. Spread the love and share with a friend or two or you may not make it into work the next morning. For the amount of alcohol and sweetness this beer is very approachable. I believe that while aging this may do something to the taste and heat, it wont exactly benefit greatly as it's huge and great right now

Black Tuesday actually reminded me of some of those big foreign stouts including some Mikeller stuff, Dark Horizon and the like, only with the American twist of doing it even bigger.

4.88/5  rDev +7.3%

A huge thank you to Darrell for sharing this rare delicacy last night.

A: Deep, opaque black. There is a moderately small beige that hangs out for a few minutes before sinking into the abyss and disappearing forever.

S: Bourbon! Whoa! There is nothing subtle about the aroma. It's enticing and alluring, but I must say that is predominantly bourbon.

T: Black Tuesday tastes fantastic. Plain and simple. It's incredibly rich and buttery smooth. It's like a heavy freight train loaded with rich, roasted malt loaded and bourbon barrels on a collision course with your palate. I didn't find it to be complex, per se, as the enormous bourbon flavors overtake some of the more subtle aspects.

M: Extremely viscous, rich and thick. Alcohol content disguised masterfully. This isn't to say alcohol is not detectable, but I would never have guessed that it's nearly 20% abv. Very impressive.

D: While it definitely seems like a strong beer, I am amazed that it weighs in at 19.5% abv. That's insane. I had 6-8 ounces and thoroughly enjoyed every sip. Highly recommended.

3.99/5  rDev -12.3%

Huge thanks to javib458 for sending this beast to me.

2009 vintage, 20 malts, son!

Pours pitch black and completely opaque without even the slightest hint of lighter color and a half finger dark mocha head that dissapears immediately. No lacing at all.

Boozy bourbon aroma with hints of earthy oak and vanilla. slightly roasted chocolate malt as well as some hazelnut and toffee but the nose of this beer is all about the barrel. There's a nice vanilla marshmallow presence that cuts down the hot spirit character. Subtle soy sauce in the nose as well and the bourbon dominates but the malt presence becomes more evident as it warms.

Chewy medium body with a huge blast of bourbon that lingers troughout into a sweet, hot finish with plenty of warmth in the chest. Slightly viscous but a bit thinner than I expected based on the appearance. As it warms the silky chocolate malts become more apparent but overall this is kind of a one dimensional bourbon bomb. Faint hints of chocolate, toffee and licorice. Lots of alcohol sweetness and subtle soy spice flavor but this beer is actually pretty drinkable with a relatively well masked ABV. I would have never guessed that this was over 18%.

Overall this beer is pretty tasty and easier drinking than expecting considering the ABV but it's a bit one dimensional and thinner bodied than I prefer for the style.

4.77/5  rDev +4.8%

The bottles won't be released for another three months, but a keg was tapped at the source yesterday. I've known about this beer since May 2008, when me and a buddy sampled this beer when it was still fermenting! Anyways...let's keep the hype train rolling:

Polka dot tan lacing clings to the glass on top the pitch black body. A little paper-thin tan foam caps the body. The aroma...watch out! Very intense, but oh so enjoyable. Very sweet, like vanilla, bourbon, fruit, burnt sugar, and a faint roastiness.

The aroma, combined with the taste, makes this beer a winner. I was first amazed with how well masked the alcohol was. There is a little heat, but it feels more like 10-11% range of a good beer. It's chocolatey, bourbony, woody, burnt sugary, fruity, and a pinch of boozy. The alcohol had a bit of a cherry flavor. An easy mouthfeel keeps things from getting too cloying, but still heavy and lip-smacking good. Slighty boozy, and it never hangs around for too long. Damn...it's a very slow sipper, but I could sip on it awhile.

I was worried this would be like World Wide Stout or Mikkeller Black and be extremely alcoholic with limited enjoyability. Fortunately, that is not the case. Black Tuesday black out the booze and stimulates the taste buds. Indeed, this is marvelous black water. Oh, and don't fret too much if you miss out on a bottle initially, because this beer will be brewed again in the future.

4.6/5  rDev +1.1%

4.49/5  rDev -1.3%

2010 vintage courtesy of hopderek at Imminent Liquidation - thanks!!

A: Pitch black, almost no head but it was there for a few seconds, oily looking body.

S: Bourbon....barrels...yup. Loads of seeping bourbon and wood notes from the barrel aging here. Some darker fruits (raisins, plums) and balanced caramel malt presence is here but definitely overshadowed by the bourbon.

T: A sweeter stout than I was expecting. Vanilla, bourbon, chocolate syrup, oak notes and sweet roasted malt again come into play. Very nicely balanced as these flavors seem to play off one another quite well. Nothing is dominating to the point that it doesn't allow the other flavors to shine. Damn straight!

M: Thick and oily, while retaining a certain creaminess about it that is what I always look for in an Imperial Stout. Slight carbonation bubbles that definitely doesn't detract from the body. Well done.

D: I mean, honestly, it's delicious but I couldn't drink much of this. I'd split the bottle and savor every sip. The alcohol is ridiculously high, so I can't score this really high.

Black Tuesday is absolutely worth it's hype. It's a beer every craft beer lover needs to get their hands on an sample at some point in time. Nicely done, boys.

4.41/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into a snifter glass at Smoke & Barrel DC part of bottle exchange. From notes.

Surprisingly not as dark as thought it would be. A good brown mahogonay coming out of the bottle hits with a solid dark walnut body. Very opaque and har to see through.

Nose has a huge chunk of molasses and sticky quality. Lots of sticky toffee. Thick smelling. Good sense of controlled whiskey like heat, with complimenting red fruits of cherry and raspberry. Great smelling beer, luckily not too hot on the nose.

Palate hits with a good chunk of sweet taffy. Lots of sticky peppermint and warming menthol finish. Controlled warmth with a nice warming big hit in the pit of your stomach. Lots of chocolate sensations with a thick almost syrup like body. Fruit action comes after repeated sips and some warmth, hinting of thick red fruits of cherry/raspberry feeling. Much of the molasses seem to get left behind.

Overall the flavors are nicely balanced, and even at this high abv it's still incredibly easy to drink. Very memorable beer and quite enjoyable, very well made.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Black Tuesday from The Bruery