Black Tuesday - The Bruery

2011: 18.3% ABV
2012: 19.2% ABV
2013: 18.9% ABV
2014: 19.7% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Black Tuesday Alström Bros

4.44/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

2011 Black Tuesday poured into an Orval glass

A: Black, can't see through it when I hold it up to a light. Two random litte patches of light tan bubbles linger on the surface, other than that there are little signs of carbonation.

S: Booze and chocolate mostly with bourbon and oak being second. I could smell this one the second the seal from the cap broke.

T: Lots of boozey flavor but no burn! Its intense but well balanced out by the chocolate, more of a milky sweeter chocolate, and bourbon. Hints of vanilla and maybe a bit of caramel in the background.

M: Very very thick, maybe the thickest beer I've had up to this point. Its pretty amazing!

O: Seems like this beer is a huge hit or huge miss for a lot of people and I have to say it was a huge hit for me. Its not as sweet as I expected and the alcohol is actually far less detectable than I had anticipated even though it plays a pretty big role in both aroma and flavor. Really nice beer.

4.5/5  rDev -0.9%

4.45/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

4.15/5  rDev -8.6%

3.75/5  rDev -17.4%

4.85/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

General: So I got this at a white elephant gift exchange with our company. Everyone passed it up because they are all liquor drinkers so I was thrilled to pick it up! Poured this into a small tulip for tasting purposes. I live near The Bruery, about 15 minutes away or so and I have a big problem with their beers. They are going bigger and stronger only. There is no intricate 5% ABV beer in the tasting room, only beers above 10% ABV. That's not my style but I'm going review this fairly and not allow my prejudice to get into it.

Appearance: Black as it gets, this is really dark and has a slightly tan head that diminishes quickly.

Aroma: A slight chocolate hint with a bourbon aroma. there is also a big alcoholic aroma to this. It's intricate though at least, there are undertones of caramel and maybe some sort of rock fruit like a prune or something.

Mouthfeel: This is thick, it is almost like it's got cream in it. It's kind of crazy how much booze in this, I can feel a burn the entire way down to the stomach.

Taste: Booze booze booze. What little flavor of bourbon and chocolate is there is really overpowered by booze but that's what this was intended to be so OK. I'm not a big fan of this beer but for someone who wants a big strong beer, this is it.

Overall: Again it's a Bruery beer. I'm not impressed with the flavors that they developed, I'm more impressed that they created a beer that was 18.9% ABV. This isn't my style but I'm not going to give it poor marks because of that. It is what it is, it's a super strong beer that has a slight chocolate flavor with a hint of bourbon.

4.34/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 25 oz bottle into a Bruery snifter glass. Acquired in a trade from vitese, thanks buddy! One of my biggest ISOs.

A- Upon the pour a chocolate brown, translucent stream enters the glass, exhibiting a deep brown body with a 1 finger light mocha colored head that reduces slowly to leave a brown ring of foam. Little lacing.

S- Upfront come big aromas of bourbon, vanilla, maple, and molasses. Upon further evaluation, he background reveals aromas of caramel, toffee, and coffee. I get some boozy aromas every so often, but any 19% beer that doesn't smell like booze is not 19% alcohol.

T- Sweet milk chocolate and caramel upfront, next up next is coffee and a roastyness. Super sweet.. a syrupy fudgyness that coats the tongue. The finish is somewhat roasty, charred. Boozy but not too boozy.

M- Rich, thick, low carbonation. The definition of a sipper.

I was really looking forward to Black Tuesday, and it did deliver. It is on the sweet side, so if you don't prefer sweet stouts this probably isn't for you. I was expecting something more dry like BCBS, but nonetheless the flavor profile worked for what it is. Share this one or split it over a few nights, it's a meal!

4.5/5  rDev -0.9%