Black Tuesday - The Bruery

2011: 18.3% ABV
2012: 19.2% ABV
2013: 18.9% ABV
2014: 19.7% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Black Tuesday Alström Bros

4.25/5  rDev -6.4%

4.04/5  rDev -11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - I am actually quite impressed for the ABV that this holds some carbonation, even though short lived resulting in just a mild lace ring I got a 1/8 inch of mocha head. Again I am surprised its not pitch black as it has some ruby hues to that base of the darkness.
S - Smell is very inviting of black currant, some port wine, and a heavy dose of bourbon. I can pick up mild notes of cocoa and dark fruits but it's faint.
T - WARNING the 2012 batch is boozy as hell. Even when warmed the bourbon notes smack you in the face then sweeten the tongue with one of the most heavy doses of caramel I ever tasted. When I get past the booze (very hard to do) It has an almost marshmallow like candy sweetness (and I love sweet beers) with what can only be described by me is a lashing of sugar plums and licorice. Very little chocolate (I could see why they made a version with cocoa nibs) or roast. As others described it's like a wine and I guess I was born to hate it since I can't stand wine.
M - Heavy if you swish this in your mouth prepare to gag a little bit as the bourbon is one of the most strongest I have ever encountered. As it warms to a near room temperature (55-60 degree's) it's almost unbearable of the level of bourbon.

Overall I shared this with my brother and even though he is not a craft beer drinker he helped me with 8oz of this. As I type I still have 2oz (of my 16) and it's so hard to choke down. I guess it's true that some people rate things higher when they pay the "rare" cost.

4.75/5  rDev +4.6%

4.18/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Pitch black with extremely little head that disappears immediately leaving just an outer ring of foam around the glass.

S: This is a monster! Booze blast to the face. Chocolate/vanilla show up to say hey after the booze takes off, but not without wearing out its welcome!

T: BOOZE.. who woulda thought. Port wine, choc/vanilla, fudge, dark fruits. So much going on here. So many different complex taste attributes to this beast of a beer.

M: medium-full body and tingling/numbing booze. Enjoyable to sip on...only to sip on.

O: This is a beer I've always wanted to try, and it almost lived up to the hype but not quite. This beer is a great candidate for consuming with friends as an after dinner drink, or laying down to forget about for a few years. I feel sorry for the poor bastard that tries to take this one down on their own. Share w/ friends.

1.5/5  rDev -67%

4.25/5  rDev -6.4%

2.25/5  rDev -50.4%

4.75/5  rDev +4.6%

3.9/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

2012 bottle, shared with friends and family at the Local Option's Pi Day event. Poured into a snifter, reviewed from notes.

Pours a sludgey cola brown color, almost jet black but lots of brown hues are visible when struck by the light. A few tiny bubbles appear momentarily but are gone immediately and no lacing is left behind. The aroma is powerfully sweet, lots of chocolate, bourbon, sweet oak, mollasses, vanilla, brown sugar and even some toasted marshmallow at the end. There is a powerful alcohol presence that lingers and almost burns the nose, not to be unexpected at nearly 20%, but still a bit of a deterrent. The flavors are really intense, lots of bourbon and sweet milk chocolate, brown sugar, a bit of bitter roast and molasses, chewy oak is a nice touch with some vanilla behind it but the alcohol really dominates the back end of this and the finish is fairly hot. The body is nice, chewy at times, silky at others, it coats the mouth well, nearly zero carbonation but just enough to keep it lively and interesting and there is a nice warming sensation as it goes down.

Verdict: Despite this beer being nearly 20% and fairly hot, it's very drinkable which is quite impressive, but I'm not blown away by this. I've been fortunate enough to try a variety of vintages of this and even with time it's still a alcohol forward beer which isn't really my preference. A worthy beer for anyone who enjoys a barrel aged stout, but there are plenty of better ones on the market, and many of them for a better price.

Black Tuesday from The Bruery