Black Tuesday - The Bruery

2010: 18.2% ABV
2011: 18.3% ABV
2012: 19.2% ABV
2013: 18.9% ABV

(Beer added by: OlieIPA on 07-18-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Black Tuesday Alström Bros
brew3crew

4.58/5  rDev +1.1%

2010 vintage. My top want for a while. Here we go!
Thanks urbancaver for bringing it and coldponcho for making him open it!

A-black in color with no head whatsoever. No tuesdays seen in the appearance
S-warm bourbon and sweetness
T-very complex and smooth. Huge hints of Bourbon, vanilla. Crazy smooth
M-medium body and crazy smooth. There is no way this is 18%. Way too drinkable.
O-wow. Definetly worth they hype. Delicious brew

04-16-2011 23:26:42 | More by brew3crew
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

4.8/5  rDev +6%

Well hey, BT pours out, black, but is very dark brown, you've seen blacker, so what. Very little head here, not much carbonation, plenty enough for style, immensity of this case.

The greatest meld of chocolate and bourbon for a series of beer, this one has plenty, and until I tried the chocolate rain version, I hadn't had a better example/mix of the beauty the two can do together. The vanilla and slightly charred oak feel is around, its warming, but for 18% it really is so nice. A rounded leather and tobacco blend can make you feel like you're in a Western. Every time I drink BT it burns itself into my memory. BT release night, Christmas fire etc. . .

Such a great 'base' beer for all the melanges/rain variations. Greatest cigar beer of all time. Sweetness. Every aspect is huge. It is very warming. Boozy, but never harsh.

Ended up rationalizing to write this review, I need to print a new 'my' top 1/2/300 list for my house anyways, such a completionist.

EDIT: Man, just had my first bottle of the 2011 last weekend during the Lesnar/Overeem fight. Might be the best one yet, and the appearance is just delightful.

04-14-2011 05:19:30 | More by Beerandraiderfan
Lazerlobe

Washington

4.22/5  rDev -6.8%

Thanks for hooking this up abecall98!

A: Thinner black with beige cream head. Quite ephemeral, liqueur qualities present.

S: Dark fruits, boozy vapors, backing chocolate and vanilla in full effect.

T: Such a sweet beer. Chocolate covered cherries, raisins, bourbony vanilla sauce, figgy finish. Lots of heat throughout but surprisingly muted for 18%.

M: Quite viscous for the ABV. Long lingering booze presence.

O: Split four ways, it was a long drink. Excellent for an evening movie but a challenge at a tasting. We mostly just enjoyed small sips. Glad I tried it but wouldn't trade as much as I did for another.

04-11-2011 03:39:21 | More by Lazerlobe
joshuaseresse

4.33/5  rDev -4.4%

2010 vintage. Shared yesterday by hu5om in La Crosse with a few other BAs. Served in a snifter:

A - Black with brown edges. Little head that dies to bubbly foam around the edges. Slinky lacing retention.

S - Nice bourbon, cream, chocolate and roast. Caramel and brown sugar. Candy, booze and wood.

T - Booze and candy sugar. Chocolate, roast and booze. A bit sweet and fruits, with dark fruits like plums and figs and booze. Oak and pretty hot, probably from the booze. Did I mention that this is pretty boozy?

M - Slightly smooth. Stinging sensation from the booze heat. Heavy and thick, but expected.

D - Not the easiest thing to drink. Thank God that I didn't have to drink this by myself. Although it was a pretty good beer, I think the hype train has taken this for a ride. I'm really glad I got to try it but I won't be seeking it in the future. We even mixed a bit of it with some 120 IPA to make a really extreme black and tan...it was an improvement. Thanks Ryan!

04-04-2011 15:16:42 | More by joshuaseresse
TK5150

Maine

4.8/5  rDev +6%

2010 Vintage.

A- Pours a very dark brown with a 1 and a half finger light brown head. The bubbles are fairly large, though some smaller bubbles intermingle. The head recedes to a ring around the glass but there is surprisingly good head retention for a beer with this high of an alcohol content. Alcohol legs on the glass.

S- Smell jumped out as soon as I heard the first hiss from the cap as I was opening it. Bourbon and chocolate jump out first. Then some sweet dark fruit syrups with plumb and raisin. Over time the aroma became predominantly soy sauce and spicy teriyaki. Very Asian influenced.

T- Molasses, bourbon, and sweet dark fruit syrups (plumb, raisin) hit me first. This reminded me of Sweet Horizon. The soy sauce and spicy teriyaki began to take over the taste the more I drank. This is a very sweet beer. Light amounts of heat going down the esophagus into the belly. Not nearly as boozy as I thought this was going to be. Very approachable now, in fact. They did a nice job with this.

M- Full bodied and smooth. Has a fairly high amount of carbonation in the mouth, actually.

O- Very Asian influenced with the high levels of soy sauce and teriyaki in the aroma and taste. Surprised I haven't heard anything about this regarding this beer before. Other beers people claim to get these flavors I do not, while this beer to me was dominated by the salty Asian sauces. I think this is excellent stuff, though. Big, sweet, and full flavored. Has a delicious factor due to the sweetness. Great beer to split with a friend, or few.

2011 Black Tuesday review on 4/21/2012:

The bourbon and oak are backed down a bit in the taste on this vintage, and sweet caramel, molasses, and dark fruits reign supreme. The oak and bourbon fall to the background. A very sweet dessert beer. Heat is evident, though it presents more of a warming than a burn. One of the best out there. Wish there were more chocolate and bourbon flavors like the 2010, but just as good if not a little better than last years.

03-27-2011 22:25:12 | More by TK5150
xnicknj

4.83/5  rDev +6.6%

bottle poured into tasting glass. 2010 vintage.

Pours a completely inky, opaque blackness with a decent layer of toffee brown head resting on top. The retention slowly sifts away leaving a collar of tanned lacing and head on the glass.

Strong scents of smooth oaky bourbon with vanilla bean edges. Cocoa, brownies and chocolate syrup erupt from the nose, drenched in absolutely wonderful boozy warmth.

Heavily roasted malts with caramel and chocolately notes. The bal aging kicks in nearly immediately, with strong yet pleasant touches of bourbon and vanilla tannins. Chocolate cake, brownies, and cocoa all combine into the richness, which nearly overwhelms the palate. More boozy warmth and syrupy sweetness towards the finish.

The fullest of full bodies, lower carbonation, syrupy and sticky from top to bottom. This beer is ridiculously drinkable for the ABV, and the flavors are as absolutely mindblowing as the internet hype makes them seem to be. Don't be fooled, this is a one-of-a-kind beer.

03-24-2011 05:59:21 | More by xnicknj
scootny

4.75/5  rDev +4.9%

Wow, what a beer! Celebrating Fat Tuesday with a Black Tuesday. This is from the first batch. For such a high alcohol beer there is an impressive head and while there is no lace the covering and ring on top is pretty. Smell leaves me impressed with the barrels used. Bourbony alcohol and light oak hit first but then there is a huge cherry and faint chocolate smoke. Vanilla and burnt caramel accentuates the overall sweetness. Taste is superb. It follows the nose but builds with a bigger oak component and a sublimated bourbon. Cherry sweetness has me seeing a box of Godiva as the chocolate is so milky. Vanilla flavored dark roasted malts, Bourbon is perfectly integrated and this reminds me of a bigger BB version of Kate. For the abv the alcohol is nigh on invisible. Don't get me wrong. You know it is there but nowhere near the actual level. Feel is amazingly carbonated for the amount of booze in the glass and it compliments the light syrupy feel perfectly. Sticky but easy to swallow and Pappy Van Winkle smooth. Drinkability is criminal. This goes down like Brooklyn Chocolate stout at almost twice the strength. So glad I've finally opened a bottle.

03-09-2011 04:38:15 | More by scootny
ShanePB

4.47/5  rDev -1.3%

2010 vintage courtesy of hopderek at Imminent Liquidation - thanks!!

A: Pitch black, almost no head but it was there for a few seconds, oily looking body.

S: Bourbon....barrels...yup. Loads of seeping bourbon and wood notes from the barrel aging here. Some darker fruits (raisins, plums) and balanced caramel malt presence is here but definitely overshadowed by the bourbon.

T: A sweeter stout than I was expecting. Vanilla, bourbon, chocolate syrup, oak notes and sweet roasted malt again come into play. Very nicely balanced as these flavors seem to play off one another quite well. Nothing is dominating to the point that it doesn't allow the other flavors to shine. Damn straight!

M: Thick and oily, while retaining a certain creaminess about it that is what I always look for in an Imperial Stout. Slight carbonation bubbles that definitely doesn't detract from the body. Well done.

D: I mean, honestly, it's delicious but I couldn't drink much of this. I'd split the bottle and savor every sip. The alcohol is ridiculously high, so I can't score this really high.

Black Tuesday is absolutely worth it's hype. It's a beer every craft beer lover needs to get their hands on an sample at some point in time. Nicely done, boys.

03-07-2011 16:19:32 | More by ShanePB
akorsak

3.9/5  rDev -13.9%

Thanks to hopderek for a pour of this bottle.

A: The stout is black, still as night and under siege. An off-white head comes along for the ride but doesn't amount to much.

S: The nose is punctuated by sweet bourbon. Darker stout aromas are present but take a backseat to the barrel.

T: The sweetness of the barrel, vanilla and dark fruits, along with the boozy strength stand out. Along side the barrel, the stout seems to be laiden with dark sugars and molasses, sweet but not cloying. The strength is hard to miss, rich and overpowering in every sip. The darker flavors, roasted as they are, fit in well amongst the sweet barrel flavors.

M: The mouthfeel is sweet, vanilla and stout flavors run strong through the ale. There is plenty of sweetness beyond the barrel, enough to border on Belgian stout territory.

D: Strong? Indeed. A good stout that makes use of its barrel provenance. It's big though, too big to really dig into.

03-06-2011 01:47:53 | More by akorsak
ne0m00re

4.1/5  rDev -9.5%

02/26/11- Review of a 750mL bottle of the 2010 vintage at Cafe Bella for my birthday dinner!
A: Opaque black with chocolate hues, it poured with a tan lacing and a strong collar and film.
S: Strong dark chocolate and boozy bourbon, raisins, grape juice, slight cigar, plums and caramel malt. This has a really great aroma.
T: Very sweet, with a good bourbon character (and very slight vanilla), molasses, grape juice and champagne, orange peel and orange extract hops character... this is good but I have to dock some points for the cloying sweetness. This is probably one of the smoothest-drinking 18% stouts I'll ever have, though.
M: Thick, but with a cleansing alcohol.
D: OK. I'm impressed with how easy-drinking it is for the alcohol content, but still only a couple glasses is enough.

I'm really glad to have gotten the chance to try this. Imagine the combination of Abyss roast, Dark Lord sweetness, and Black Albert molasses and cigar character, all with a champagne wine character vs. port.

02-28-2011 18:19:48 | More by ne0m00re
Reagan1984

4.25/5  rDev -6.2%

Huge Props to Abecall98 for providing this in trade about a year ago. This bottle is from the original release and is marked as 19.5% abv.

Pours into my tulip glass with an almost brown/copper head that doesn't last long and collapses upon it's own weight. A hint of things to come on just how big of a beer this is. More like "legs" in the glass vs. lacing. The beer coats the inside of the glass. A shiney dark brown/almost black color. Looks like a mixture of used motor oil and maple syrup or molasses.

The aroma was so intense, bold and complex I am not sure where to start. Sweet, chocolate, a touch of vanilla, even some chocolate syrup. Much less alcohol than I would have guessed for 19.5%

Holy snikees is this a big beer. The sweetness is really right in your face. Dessert in a glass. Chocolate syrup again, then this gives way to a lot of complexity. Dark chocolate, very slight bourbon & vanilla. Sweet roasted malt. Ok, I have to admit, I thought of ST Crème Brulee when I drank this, minus the big vanilla. What I find interesting is that was a LOVE/Hate beer due to the big sweetness. And this one is universally loved. It's consistent for me, as I am a Crème Brule fan. This just drinks like it should offend some more in my book. If I had a wish it was that the bourbon came through a little more. Perhaps the time has settled that flavor a bit. Got coconut at times mixed with the dark chocolate flavors. This went well with the sweetness.

Just and I mean just shy of syrup like. I said to a buddy that if I had vanilla ice cream we'd try the two together. Alas, I did not. Thick is the only word to use to describe the body. Slick on your tongue. But not cloying.

The abv is so well hidden that it's scary. The sweetness and complexity keeps it below the surface, but soon you get a warm happy feeling. It's very very good. Not a top ten for me, but I am stoked I had a chance to enjoy a bottle.

I did get a chance to try this at the beer fest last year but it was fun to share a bottle with a couple buddies.

Thanks Abel!

02-27-2011 14:25:01 | More by Reagan1984
kzoobrew

4.72/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to my man Carleton (SpdKilz) for hooking me up with this bottle. Cheers buddy!

First beer enjoyed as part of a Bourbon Barrel Tasting.

The body could easily be mistaken for black, when held to the light deep brown hues were noted. Slim malted milk colored head sits atop momentarily though quickly fades to a slim ring. When swirling around the glass you can see the sryupy alcohol cling to the walls like a fine bourbon.

Utterly ridiculous aroma. Strong chocolate and bourbon, smells like a delicious chocolate liqueur. The chocolate is deep and fudge. The bourbon kicks off subtle hints of caramel and vanilla. Slight brown sugar scent fade in and out.

Black Tuesday may have peers but there is nothing that tops it when it comes to the flavor. Rich, decadent chocolate pairs with a smooth bourbon booziness. Smooth caramel and vanilla flavors are layered through out. Tremendous balance between the sweet and the boozy flavors.

Full bodied monster of a beer, carbonation is low and delicate. Very smooth, creamy texture. I love the viscosity of this beer. Rich and heavy flavors dig into the tongue making for a long but enjoyable finish.

Truly an outstanding beer, well worth the hype. It takes talent to craft a beer so massive and still being absurdly drinkable. From the aroma, to the flavor and mouthfeel everything about this beer is exceptional. The alcohol is very well disguised, very minimal burn. This is certainly not drinkable in the sense of quantity, it is however in the sense it would be far too easy to drink too much.

02-23-2011 00:13:26 | More by kzoobrew
decadance

4.68/5  rDev +3.3%

Much thanks to kzoobrew for bring this one to the tasting!

A - For a small (4-5oz pour) there was a significant amount of tan head on top of the dark black base. Head dissipates slowly, and then a syrupy viscosity coats the glass.

S - Booze. It dominates. Hints of chocolate and brown sugar. Overall, the tone is booze and sweet.

T - Highly bourbon, but shockingly smooth for the high abv. Some chocolate around in the middle, and some interesting fruit tones in the end that are a bit difficult to pick out. Wonderful.

M - Exactly what you want from a big bodied stout. Its entirely full and creamy, and coats the mouth.

D - My wife could not finish hers (too boozy), so my 5ozs turned to around 9ozs. After that much, I was done, but the booze began to dominate. I dinged it a couple points just because of that.

02-20-2011 16:44:27 | More by decadance
SkunkWorks

4.83/5  rDev +6.6%

Thanks to mattolesh for the trade and the opportunity to try this beer!

750ml bottle split with my girlfriend, going by the alcohol by volume on the label, this is a 2010 bottle. Poured into a Southampton IRS release day snifter. Took it out of the cellar the morning I was going to drink it and put it in the fridge, let it warm up for about 15 minutes before pouring. It was also drank over the course of about an hour, so I got a lot of different temperatures.

Look: Pours black, with dark brown highlights around the edges of the glass. I'm surprised how its not quite pitch considering the size. Though there's not much head, I'm surprised how much there is. I get a thin layer of mocha colored head that disappears in a minute or so, which is understandable considering the alcohol content of this beer. Surprisingly, there are carbonation bubbles visible close to the top floating to the top of the beer. Very nice looking beer.

Smell: warm, bourbon aroma. Surprisingly, not as powerful as some other bourbon barrel beers are but its still quite powerful. If you've had Bourbon Brand County Stout, its a little more subtle than that. Dark malt with hints of chocolate and some vanilla notes. Aside from the bourbon, this isn't so boozy in the nose as I thought it was going to be.

Taste: a sharp, alcohol burn is felt at the tip of my tongue. Then you have dark fruit soaked in alcohol, very rich chocolate, some coffee, strong vanilla and of course, bourbon. Hints of charred oak and a fairly sugary sweet taste as well. There's a lot going on here and each sip yields a little something new in complexity for me, but it is all well integrated. Its also not very boozy and doesn't drink as big as it is. I've had some other boozier stouts that came in at dramatically lower alcohol content!

The strength of the flavors makes me very intrigued as to what its brother Chocolate Rain tastes like. I'm having a hard time imagining a more flavorful Black Tuesday.

I'm also glad that I split this one way and that we both ended up drinking about 13 oz of beer. I can't imagine being able to fully appreciate this one if I had a smaller sample or if I had to do the whole 750ml bottle by myself... mostly because the latter would probably kill me.

Feel: sharp, alcohol burn at first but my mouth got used to it quickly. Full bodied but surprisingly not as viscous as I thought it was going to be but still quite full. Despite the alcohol content, this is pretty carbonated and is a little bit more carbonated than the really big Dogfish Head beers like World Wide Stout, Raison d'Extra and 120 Minute IPA (the only other beers coming in over 15% I've had), which is nice because it reminds me I'm drinking a beer.

Drink: I honestly don't know how to rate this. Given the style, its a sipper even by the style's standards. If I had a small pour of this, I could see it disappearing quickly, which I think is where its high drinkability scores are coming from in other reviews. However, since I split the bottle with one other person, we both ended up with almost 13 ounces of the beer and well, having a glass full of Black Tuesday led to us taking about an hour to drink it, allowing us to savor it fully, and leaving us both a little buzzed at the end of it. What an amazing problem to have!

That said, I am sure the brewer's intent isn't to make this a beer that you can slam back pint after pint of. But at the same time, the beer being so slow to drink meant that it kind of had the same effect as if we had several pints of a weaker brew during that time!

Overall, this beer really surpassed expectations. I'm always skeptical of these super hyped beers and what's more hyped than Black Tuesday? Brewery only release, barrel aged, huge alcohol content, an imperial stout... basically meets all the criteria for an overhyped beer. Maybe it helped because I didn't seek it out specifically and it fell into my lap because of an exceedingly generous trader in mattolesh.

Regardless, my girlfriend and I decided it would be a good occasion to drink it to celebrate six months of dating after getting back together after a long hiatus. From the second I got the wax off and opened the bottle, I could smell the beer and was a little nervous, honestly. Pouring it out and beginning to drink it, well, I began to see what everyone else sees in this beer. Despite its size, its absolutely delicious.

As a home brewer who is interested in high alcohol brewing (haven't done it yet, but its a long term goal for me), I am very impressed by the technical feat behind brewing this beer.

But now I have a problem. I'm still new to trading, don't have anything exceedingly rare, and really want a Chocolate Rain. How do you improve Black Tuesday? I don't know how it can be done but apparently adding cacao nibs and vanilla bean helps.

Well done, Bruery! You deserve much respect for this beer. Cheers!

02-18-2011 15:34:39 | More by SkunkWorks
joshuacavett

4.88/5  rDev +7.7%

This beer is truly amazing! Shared from a bottle with brandoneast. The nose on this beer is so impressive it is indescribable. Huge chocolate, roast, bourbon oak up front. Taste is right on as well. If (and there is not)there was a downside to this beer it would be drinkability due to the high level of alcohol. The smell really boozed up after about an hour and I thought everything was cool. Then as I was laying in bed next to my wife she asks me to go close the blinds and I knew then that that beer was stronger than I expected.

Almost over the top sweet and boozey but the mouthfeel and nose balance it out.

Great beer overall and Patrick impresses me yet another time.

02-17-2011 17:52:26 | More by joshuacavett
trodersark

4.85/5  rDev +7.1%

2010 Bottle, Poured in Tulip

Before i begin, this has been one of the best beers I've ever had. It pours a midnight chocolate with a beautiful inch-thick head. You can immediately smell the bourbon-barrel and chocolate/cocoa nibs. Also get some vanilla scent towards the back end. This thing tastes like Heaven. I immediately taste the dark fruit, chocolate and bourbon. Breathe while twirling the beer in your mouth and your palate will also pick up on some vanilla and slightt oak. Not too effervescent, and after every sip, I felt like an oil sheath of Black Tuesday was left on my tongue. In terms of drinkability, I would replace this with water if I could...

02-15-2011 00:34:30 | More by trodersark
glazeman

4.03/5  rDev -11%

2010 edition, split with friends and poured into a snifter

A: Dark, dark brown but not quite black as you can see through the edges of the glass. There was a 1 finger light brown head that faded quickly leaving about ½ a crown. The head had fairly poor retention, even for the style and there was no lacing.

S: There's bourbon up front, but light and nice. There's some etoh on the nose in the middle as well as a little caramel. To me this actually smells more like a bourbon barely barelywine than a stout. I think that's mostly due to the high ABV. There's also a strange lemon/ginger smell at the finish.

T: The main flavors here are licorice, some bourbon, and an aftertaste that consists of a little bourbon, a little booze and a smidgeon of toast and vanilla. As a side note, there were very little flavors of coffee, chocolate, caramel, maple, or other flavors typical of a stout.

M: First, I didn't think this was nearly as thick as it has been made out to be. With that being said it has a great mouthfeel and is on the thicker side as far as imperial stouts go.

D: Considering the extremely high ABV this one went down fairly easy, but with notable alcohol in the aftertaste. I would definitely have it again, but to be honest was a little under whelmed given the enormous amount of attention this beer gets.

02-13-2011 16:14:23 | More by glazeman
airohead2001

4.43/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The story of Black Tuesday. When glazeman and I first started our journey into the world of BA, BT was on our radar. I remember when it was first released, the hype that followed, and how it made its way to the top of the BA top 100. I never thought I would get the chance to try this beer. When the second release (2010) gave people the opportunity to purchase BT online, we jumped at the opportunity. We each got a bottle, no thanks to the broke-ass internet connection at the Hines VA. As someone who repeatedly proclaims, "support your midwest brewers," especially in terms of big stouts, I really was hoping to dislike this beer. What can I say? It is outstanding.

The appearance is nothing too special - tiny head that quickly fades - not a whole lot else going on. The smell is outstanding - booze, dark fruit, bourbon, vanilla. The taste is even better - vanilla, dark roasts, and an awesome chocolate after taste. Mouthfeel is also out of this world - just about as thick as Dark Lord. In general, this brew is very similar to DL, but a little bit less sweet, and obviously a lot more boozy vanilla. The drinkability is high, and the outrageous ABV is not even noticeable. I wish I had more of this.

I got told by this beer. Period. I wanted to hate it, but it was amazing. My standard proclamation needs an addendum - "support your midwest breweries, but get your hands on some Black Tuesday."

02-13-2011 02:05:07 | More by airohead2001
steve8robin

4.38/5  rDev -3.3%

Got this in a trade about a year back. Been waiting to try this for a while, but I think for review #400, I will pull out the big guns and open this one up. 750ml bottle, 2009 vintage...

A: Super pitch black color with no light shining through. Pours like motor oil. Thick 2 inch dark mocha colored head that fades at a decent pace. Awesome.

S: One review I remember reading on this said it smelled like a chocolate brownie. That is the first thing that hits me. It's like an intense chocolate with a bready cake scent blended in. Some raisin and cocoa in the middle with some vanilla and booziness blended in the backend. Very good.

T: This one's super hot! I get a think bourbon burn upfront with some huge chocolate malts in the middle almost like chocolate syrup with hints of raisin and a breadiness on the backend. Very thick. This almost reminds me of a chocolate martini. Very good.

M: Super thick with a heavy carbonation. A hot creamy finish. Good.

D: Drinkability is not as high as some have led to believe. Good.

All in all, this is a great beer. Super thick and hot. Very chocolaty and delicious. If you like stouts, you definitely should try this at least once. If you don't like boozy brews, then this is not for you.

02-12-2011 02:22:25 | More by steve8robin
henway

4.78/5  rDev +5.5%

I was fortunate enough to attend a tasting put together by ShadesOfGray and this gem was definitely the highlight of the night. Serving was a 2009 vintage. Appearance was very dark with an almost maroon-ish head which disappears quickly. Smell is of coarse a very strong bourbon highlight, dark chocolate, and dark fruits. Plumb maybe? As far a taste goes I'm blown away. considering we just had Kate previous to this, BT is a big step up. Strong bourbon taste, good amount of vanilla thrown in there. Chocolate is big in this, and a variety of darker fruits. Its very thick, motor oil thick. Nice hearty burn on the way down. This is by far the best stout i have ever encountered.

02-04-2011 21:23:03 | More by henway
birchstick

Colorado

3.58/5  rDev -21%

2009 version

A - poured reddish dark brown without much of a head

S - smelled very sweet - maple syrup and vanilla with molasses and a modicum of toasted malt. More sweet than anything.

T - Followed the nose perfectly. Opened up extremely sweet - loads of syrupy molasses and vanilla from the bourbon barrels. A lot of chocolate milk chocolate was blended in there as well. It ended very sweet, almost too sweet. I guess the sweetness is warranted for the huge ABV this thing packs.

M - chewy mouthfeel to it with a full body. The booze was really well hidden.

D - this one was overly sweet to me. I felt like this was a huge beer, but the ABV just made it way sweeter than it needed to be. I can see why some people would really like this, but I think the couple glasses I had of it were way more than enough. The overly sweetness got to me after awhile. Good to try, but I wouldn't be disappointed if I never had it again.

---

2010 version - it seemed that molasses wasn't as prominent and this was not as sweet as the 2009 version, albeit it was still extremely sweet.

01-31-2011 03:39:55 | More by birchstick
Deuane

4.1/5  rDev -9.5%

After having multiple times I guess it is time to put this one in the books. Thanks to corby112 for the most recent sharing of this one in the form of a 2009 vintage bottle.

A-Deep, dark, brutally black. Highlight? What's a highlight? A thin reddish tinged head quickly dissipates to a wisp of retention and leaves no lace whatsoever. Foam does reform with a bit of invigoration.

S-Fat dose of bourbon goodness up front with dry oak and sweet vanilla taking the center stage. Dark roasted malt, dark chocolate, eel sauce and dark cherries struggle to rise up out of the alcohol heat ooze.

T-Massive bourbon laden roasted malt, dark chocolate and dark fruit batter the palate with a non stop barrage of alcohol soak flavours. Massively complex with just so much going on it becomes hard to concentrate.

M-Medium-heavy to almost chewy bodied with a strong alcohol burn and LONG lingering flavours.

D-For 18+% it is surely more drinkable than expected but it becomes tedious and uninteresting after awhile. I don't think I could ever drink an entire 750 ml bottle on my own without some money on the line. Good? Sure! Life altering, no!

01-29-2011 20:23:05 | More by Deuane
Hojaminbag

Colorado

2.65/5  rDev -41.5%

2009 Vintage.

Am I supposed to eat this, or drink this? Does this stuff go into my car? Is it safe to consume? This thing is pitch black with no head unless I give it swirl, and the beer coats the glass a little bit like wine instead of leaving actual lacing.

What the hell? The same questions I asked before come to mind when I smell this. Fire, chocolate and whiskey. Strange combo.

My nose is on fire. Maybe it's my throat. I can't tell, but it's hot. I can feel all of my nose hairs. They burn. If you could see my face, it would say "grimace." I'm pretty sure this wasn't meant for me to drink, but I can't seem to chew it either. What is it? I taste wood, whiskey, chocolate, molasses, dark fruits and loads of dark malt, but mostly I just taste alcohol. Burning, nose-hair-melting, fusel fire.

Mouthfeel: Chewing on a mildly spicy pepper?

This thing is unique and complex, but it's also a sticky, jumbled mess. I don't want to try this one again.

01-27-2011 01:03:40 | More by Hojaminbag
Beejay

4.85/5  rDev +7.1%

Thanks to RocPorterFanatic for sharing a bottle of this with me.

Reviewed from tasting notes. Bottle was 09

A: Syrupy and Dark mahogany as it pours. Black in the glass. Not a lot of head from the pour, but a gentle swirl gets a nice caramel head.

S: Very rich and sweet. Vanilla, oak, and a hint of bourbon. It actually smells thick. Tons of caramel in this, as well as notes of brown sugar and molasses.

T: A vanilla and caramel Explosion of sweetness. Dark and malty. The bourbon comes in the finish, with oak and a little more caramel sweetness. The booze is pretty well hidden in this monster.

M: This explodes in your mouth with sweetness. Thick and syrupy. You can feel the booze more than you can taste it. Carbonation is good for the style.

D: Sweet as hell, but man is this tasty. A sipper for sure, but complex and amazing. Damn, I see why Overlord drinks this everyday.

01-25-2011 21:33:00 | More by Beejay
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

4.13/5  rDev -8.8%

750 ml bottle split and poured into a Bruery tulip. 18.2% ABV, no date (2010 edition).

He'll never see this, but I must send a big thanks to my fiancée's uncle for picking up a few bottles for myself and friends and sending them back this way!

A - Pitch black in appearance but clear on the pour, this one comes out like motor oil. It produces a short-lived tan head with almost no lace. Sticky legs cling to the glass.

S - Strong alcohol aroma followed by wood and heavily roasted chocolate malts. Notes of coffee with fig, raisins, and slight pine hops on the swirl. Then again that could just be the pine-sol cleaning agent coming from the hot booze. It doesn't smell as thick and sweet as I remember it.

T - Sweet molasses and rich bittersweet chocolate with subtle coffee notes and barrel aroma. The bourbon doesn't come through as much as straight solvent alcohol like in the aroma.

M - Thick and syrupy-rich with a full body, this is the thickest beer I've ever had for sure. Hot alcohol is surprisingly mellow in it's perceived feel. Not too overbearing.

D - Definitely boozy overall and unbalanced toward sweetness but very good and different regardless. This begs to a) be sipped and b) be shared. I wouldn't open a bottle of this without at LEAST two other guys to share it with.

01-25-2011 13:22:04 | More by BeerFMAndy