Black Tuesday - The Bruery

2010: 18.2% ABV
2011: 18.3% ABV
2012: 19.2% ABV
2013: 18.9% ABV

(Beer added by: OlieIPA on 07-18-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Black Tuesday Alström Bros
ChadQuest

4.4/5  rDev -2.9%

2009 batch, wow, don't see this one every day.
This one pours a still black inky liquid that looks exactly how i always thought it would. There are legs to meet anybodys desires.
The aroma gives a sweetness off right away but then makes it take on natural fruity sugars likeness, and cuts it down with a hefty alcohol presence.
The flavors are integrating very nicely it seems. My two worries going into this pour was either it being cloying or soy sauce, and i can say in this bottle neither was the case. I can see how some people could get either from this, but i found both aspects to be minimal enough that they contributed to the overall flavor componants in a positive manor. The alcohol and barrel flavors of vanilla and caramel, the rich chocolate, and those dark currants and fruits rolled in sugar.

This 2009 bottle was awesome, i really dug it. i wonder how this beer is fresh though.

07-05-2011 18:31:38 | More by ChadQuest
aasher

4.25/5  rDev -6.2%

2009 vintage. This one pours a viscous oily midnight black with no head. It smells of dark chocolate, roasted coffee, and intense dark fruit sweetness. It has a really sweet nose. It drinks of chocolate coffee syrup and is insanely flavorful despite the sweetness. The chocolate and dark fruits work very well together. It's smooth, thick, and syrupy and could be hard to finish due to sugar and alcohol but its an intense imperial stout. This is just a massive beer and despite the abv, is not too hot having mellowed slightly, being the 2009 vintage. While good, I don't know why this vintage demands so much on the trade block.

06-25-2011 20:27:18 | More by aasher
scottfrie

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

A huge thanks to Mike for sharing at a tasting. 2010 vintage.

A: Pour an inky black with raisin colored edges. The thin dark tan head left a few patches of lacing, but as I lightly swirl the liquid in my glass freaking legs of alcohol are left like in wine. This is going to be fun.
S: Super sweet smelling and alcoholic with notes of vanilla, caramel and bourbon. Very rich and dark.
T: Again, very sweet and boozy. I felt the flavors were actually not very complex, but I still think it tastes very good. Picture a really good straight forward well integrated stout. It has all the right flavors one would expect such as vanilla, chocolate, molasses, caramel, raisin, and bourbon, and it has it in all the right ways. I get raisin in the finish, and aftertaste is full of vanilla and chocolate and definitely lingers long as the swallow.
M: Ultra thick and syrupy with a boozy and hot mouthfeel that isn’t necessarily uncomfortable.
O: A really solid and impressive beer that is not for the light of heart. There are better stouts out there of this caliber, but over-all the hype is pretty close to worth it. Thanks again Mike for the pour.

06-25-2011 15:44:30 | More by scottfrie
nlmartin

4.97/5  rDev +9.7%

Just wow! Neorunner you sent me probably one of the best beers I have ever received trading directly or BIF. I am just blown away by your generous blinded beer. You have humbled me. The bottle is marked share x2. The bottle has a thin black wax wrap.

This beer was shared between 4 people. It was a very fitting and worthy beer for the occasion. The beer was split 4 ways and served in tulip glasses.

A - 4.5 The body of the beer is black and totally impenetrable by light. I could almost mistake this for 40 weight oil. The head was the coloration of nugget from a 3 Muskateers candy bar. The head resolved to a thin ring of foam. No lacing noted on the glass.

S - 5.0 The aroma of bourbon rises out of the bottle when cracked at arms length. At this point if you don't love bourbon its time to walk away. Lucky for me my companions love the bourbon! The aroma is very similar to making good bourbon balls. Cocoa, brown sugar, vanilla, chocolate cake covered in bourbon, a lot of bourbon booze present but not a problem. Someone has masterfully used a bourbon barrel to great effect!

T - 5.0 A brilliant use of a bourbon barrel. Bourbon soaked chocolate cake, figs, dates, raisins, vanilla. Very sweet and darkly roasted malt notes. The alcohol is used as a foil to keep the sweetness in check. Absolutely no harshness noted to the flavor. This only gets better as the beer warms up.

M / D - 5.0 / 5.0 This is a perfectly viscous and thick beer. Very very full bodied. Makes me feel like Mix-Alot. My anaconda dont want none unless you got buns. Baby got Back! This is a perfect beer drinking experience. Literally everything I hope for in a barrel aged RIS. My beer buzz tells me this is 15% +. The actual drinking experience feels about 10 - 12 %.

I mentioned I was blown away by this generous beer offering. Thank you Nate - Neorunner! The rest of the package could be crazy eds barrel aged chili beer and cask Colt .45 I would be completely satisfied.

The reveal: Bruery Black Tuesday. Dude you are a maniac!

06-14-2011 10:36:58 | More by nlmartin
thetomG

4.05/5  rDev -10.6%

2009 edition

Super inky black color (as expected). Thick & with viscous lacing left around the glass. Thin layer of tan head.

Aroma is almost pure bourbon - it comes through so strongly that you really can't pick up much of anything else (possibly some hints of vanilla).

Flavor is a bit better with the maltiness fighting its way through the bourbon a bit more than in the nose. The sweetness makes itself known as well. Not bad by any means - I just prefer a bit more complexity.

Mouthfeel is great - the thick feel of this one really works well for this beer.

The finish is (not surprisingly) very strong and boozy - can't imagine I'd be able to put way too much of this stuff - its a big bold bourbon bomb of a beer so if you like that sort of thing you will LOVE this.

Recommended, but maybe a bit underwhelming - just not as complex as I'd hoped for - maybe with more time the bourbon would chill out a bit and mingle in with the other flavors but for me that overly bourbony aspect detracted from my overall enjoyment of the beer.

06-13-2011 21:16:48 | More by thetomG
kingcrowing

Vermont

3.1/5  rDev -31.6%

750ml black waxed bottle, 2010 Vintage.

Pours a super dark inky black with a small but super dark brown head. Nose is crazy boozy, malty, sweet, raisin and molasses.

Taste is very hot, boozy, sweet and honestly just a bit too much. The mouthfeel is syrupy but almost too thin, sticky and quite low carbonation. There is a good dark, sweet melty chocolate.

This is pretty much the concent of my group - not sure about the high ratings on here

06-11-2011 01:29:53 | More by kingcrowing
rowingbrewer

2.38/5  rDev -47.5%

Had this at a tasting on friday night, a huge thanks to John for bring this beer

The beer pours like motor oil with a thin barely there dark head. the smell is sweet boozy with a noticeable bourbon smell. the taste is hot boozy and cloyingly sweet. this beer reminds me of dark lord, ( which i thought was highly overrated). the mouthfeel is thick and its hard to get the coating feel out of your mouth. between everyone at the tasting it was probably a 50/50 split of love hate. i gave the rest of my pour to my brother who enjoyed it. in my opinion this beer is one to avoid

06-05-2011 12:51:48 | More by rowingbrewer
Luvzsurfrz

Sampled from a bottle into my taster (TWICE) at The Bruery's 3rd Anniversary Party.

A: Pours dark, opaque black with a dark brown head. Obvi, hard to get an accurate vision of it's true appearance consider my taster only held a 4oz pour, but I was definitely in awe regardless.

S: Smells very boozy up front with hints of chocolate, coffee, and rich malty goodness.

T: For me, the taste lives up to the hype of this incredible beer! Very similar to the smell, and the boozy taste is incredibly smooth for such a high abv.

M: Thick, but very smooth and warm going down.

O: Overall, very impressed! Very complex flavoring, that is beyond my less experienced palette. Also, want to give a BIG THANK YOU to The Bruery for pulling our ticket in the lottery give-away. We now have a bottle of Black Tuesday to keep and save for a special occassion. VERY excited to try it again!

05-31-2011 19:30:36 | More by Luvzsurfrz
woosterbill

Kentucky

3.5/5  rDev -22.7%

2010 bottle into a wine glass; sampled at DLD '11. Huge thanks to the generous sharer of this famous treat.

A: Black body with dark brown highlights; thin, fleeting head of light brown foam. Looks big, and there's no surprise there.

S: Booze, coffee, booze, chocolate, booze, earthiness, and booze. Hugely alcoholic, and yet somehow also hugely appealing.

T: Cloyingly sweet here, and that's about it. Seriously, this is sweeter than Vanilla Bean Dark Lord, and in this case that's not a complement. Crazy.

M: Thick, sticky. Yup.

O: I was really excited to try this beer (obviously enough), and wasn't sure what to expect. Smelling it made me think that I'd fall in love with its sheer vastness of flavor, but when it came to the point of actually tasting the beer it was a serious letdown. All the complexity of the aroma got washed out in a massive wave of underattenuated sugar, so much so that it resembled beer-flavored pancake syrup more than actual beer. Now that I've tried it, I definitely won't be trading my whole cellar for more.

Cheers!

05-30-2011 11:44:39 | More by woosterbill
TheDudeRules

4.33/5  rDev -4.4%

Generously shared by UMNbeerhunter. Thanks Joe.

I wondered if the day I got to try this would ever come? Fortunate enough to be invited to a tasting and this beauty was on the docket. Poured into my Darkness snifter. My 3oz pour is black with brown on the outskirts. A good looking mocha colored head sets atop. I make sure I smell the bottle before I pass it down the line. It smells exactly like a sweet chocolate chip cookie soaked in booze. That doesn't sound at all horrible does it! (sarcasm right there folks) This beer is pretty damn sweet. A lot of chocolate and bourbon. Some amount of dark fruit in there. I've read that the alcohol is hidden well for being 18%. I say false. The hot bite is certainly there. Leaves your throat very warm and you can feel it trickle down into your chest. Me personally I liked that aspect. It's a big giant beer. Lots of bourbon and chocolate.

Ultimately I am really glad I was able to try this. So much hype around it that it pulls you in. It was a good beer but not excellent or the best I've ever had by any means. There were other stouts poured at this tasting as well. In my opinion Rare was far superior. If you don't have to trade away half your cellar it is worth a shot.

05-29-2011 16:42:49 | More by TheDudeRules
rhodeska

4.97/5  rDev +9.7%

This is possibly the best beer that I have had in my life, especially stout-wise. There is a ton going on in it, more than my palate can properly identify or process.

Great dark pour with some swirling head into a wonderfully dark mess in my glass.

Even the smell has hints of vanilla, bourbon, and strong other flavors. It's super involved, and I can't pick everything out.

The taste is just as much going on in the beer as the smell, if not more. I get vanilla, bourbon, caramel, a little roasty, and just a great balance of a ton of flavors. This beer is super-complex and super alcoholy, but quite delicious.

05-25-2011 04:50:13 | More by rhodeska
tewaris

4.13/5  rDev -8.8%

2010, I believe, shared very generously in a great tasting by UMNBeerHunter. Thanks Joe! Poured into a tasting snifter.

Black Tuesday is, ironically, not "black" enough; frankly it belongs more in the -bal Barleywine/Strong Ale territory than among Imperial Stouts. Looks, smell, taste... on all counts.

The aroma is an overload of delicious things: vanilla, sweet booze, and tons of dark fruit. Very appealing, if a little rough.

The taste has a lot of bourbon, and more. Vanilla, obviously; and rum soaked dried dark fruit with plenty of bitter-sweet-tart darkness. Think prunes and raisins, but more complex and infinitely boozier.

I can't believe that this beer is appearing thin on the palate and I think that it has to be with the insanely high ABV. Even though it's clean, it's still very sweet. I am loving the taste but I am certainly not digging the mouthfeel, that is into the moderate strength liqueur territory.

A brewing achievement but not beer like; delicious nonetheless. I am very glad that I got to try it, and I don't think I could have without Joe's generosity. Thanks again!

05-24-2011 11:30:53 | More by tewaris
sarro

3.03/5  rDev -33.1%

2009 bottle shared generously by punkrkr27 at FL invades MI May Super Tasting, thanks Steve!
Served at room temp, it poured a super jet black with a one finger, light brown head. Smell is dark, boozy chocolate and what seems to be dry wood. Taste is syrupy dark chocolate as well as some vanilla and honey dipped marshmallow. Mouthfeel on this beer was the highlight to me--a very full, viscous body that’s complimented by a supporting chewy malty-ness. Definitely a hot finish in the throat.
The noticeable abv makes it a dry finish after swallowing, but this beer was super sweet with lots of rich malt and there’s no way I could enjoy more than 3oz.

05-24-2011 04:36:02 | More by sarro
Alpar

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

Opened this beast at Dark Lord Day 2011, shared with people in line. From notes:

A: Black Hole dark, pretty badass and intimidating.

S: Phenomenal bourbon notes. I don't know what these guys use to age their beers in but its golden. All I can smell is bourbon, especially in the cold and rain.

T: EPIC! This was well worth what I traded for it. I thought it would disappoint based off the other reviews but it most definitely did not. Sweet vanilla and oak as it warmed, better than most Barrel aged brews I've come across.

M: Extremely viscous, very coating and adds to flavor production.

O: This is one that lives up to the hype! Very, very happy I have a bruery connection and can look forward to having another one of these, bourbon aged stout heaven!

05-24-2011 03:27:05 | More by Alpar
emerge077

4.33/5  rDev -4.4%

Thanks Jared & Kevin for making this review possible... An appropriately sinny rapturebeer™ if ever there was one. Review from written notes.

Into a small tulip glass it pours an imposing black with blood red ruby edges that glint in the light. Slim amount of foam, tan ring around the edge, surprising there was any foam considering the abv. The glassy obsidian surface reminds me of the oily black pool at Glastonbury Grove in Twin Peaks.

Toasted marshmallows, melted milk chocolate bars, deep roasty char.

Rich and fudgy (understatement), caramel toffee, almond fudge, fried plantains, warm chocolate syrup. Mucho dry roast and bitter bakers chocolate in the aftertaste. So decadent. Impossibly dense, fudgy and chewy to the nth degree, a perfect liquid dessert. About 4 oz. is enough for one sitting, although I could certainly drink more if I forced myself.

05-24-2011 02:31:55 | More by emerge077
ROBORB

3.83/5  rDev -15.5%

2009 bottle split with 3 friends.

A: This poured dark black with a very thin mocha head. I was surprised that it has this much carbonation.

S: It smelled like a very hot bourbon. I could get some dark malts, soy and some dark fruits as well.

T: The taste was pretty similar to the smell. At first I thought that the alcohol was fairly well hidden. But then, after about 10 seconds or so, the alcohol made its presence known. This went away as my senses got overwhelmed. I was also able to detect some great dark fruits and soy in the taste. It was better than I was anticipating.

M: The mouthfeel was OK. It was a little too heavy for my tastes.

O: I found this to be slightly better than average. The alcohol makes it near impossible to finish by yourself. I figured after 2 years that it would have tamed down some but it was still pretty hot. This might be better in another couple of years. I will re-visit in 2 years and re-rate.

05-22-2011 19:09:45 | More by ROBORB
hamilton23

4.75/5  rDev +4.9%

2010 Vintage. Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours black with a fair amount of thick, brown head. Nice lacing.

Aroma: Tons of bourbon, chocolate, vanilla, some coconut.

Taste: Chocolate, vanilla, coconut. Sweet. Really, really, really sweet. Some of complained that this is sickeningly sweet. I disagree. It is not something you would down on a summer afternoon after working in the yard, it is to be savored like a dessert wine or port.

Mouthfeel: Thick and syrupy.

Overall: This is a tremendous beer. It is like an almond joy bar in liquid form. If you don't like big sweet bourbon bombs, this is not the beer for you. But, if you are like me and love sweeter stouts...damn this is good.

05-21-2011 19:56:29 | More by hamilton23
FosterJM

4.3/5  rDev -5.1%

497th review on BA
Bottle to Bruery Tulip
750, Capped & Waxed
2010 Bottle

Split 6 ways for Bottle 5 of 5 for Birthday dinner. Even my wife, who most of you have seen me post about said this is pretty good.

App- This was a Black Stout, I have said it before, but this was damn dark. Only thing is that no head formed, no lacing not real carbonation level to it.

Smell- Everything I had heard about this about being hot, being too big in the aromatics was a little over done. This was big yes, but it was smooth, boozy, and sweet. Smelled a lot like a port vs a stout. Very dark chocolate with the dark fruits and Bourbon scents with some vanilla as well.

Taste- Not at all how hot I thought it would be. It was big and rich and lush. The flavors were very mellow but you can tell the ABV on this while smash you alone. The vanilla and chocolate blend with some some of the port flavors.

Mouth- This is exactly how I felt a stout should be on the palate. It was lush, creamy, smooth, rich, decadant and full. A very full bodied stout with a low carbonation.

Drink- I sat on this bottle since its release in October for a special occasion and I fiqured a birthday to be one of them. I am sure Ill keep trying to acquire this year to year. Wonderful brew! To the team at The Bruery. Nicely done.

05-21-2011 02:16:51 | More by FosterJM
ktrillionaire

4.75/5  rDev +4.9%

I want to drink a whole bottle of this by myself. Next birthday, if I'm not double-fisting Cantillons, I'll be drinking this straight out of the bottle, probably wrapped in a paper bag to make it super ghettofab.

A - It pours an oily dark-brown hue, literally appearing like filthy motor oil. It has some red around the edges, and is capped with a crimson-tinged khaki head that recedes to a minimal frothy film.

S - The nose is ridiculously decadent; molasses, dark and milk chocolate, Bourbon and Kahlua, chocolate-covered cherry cordials, and the charred top of Creme Brulee all come to mind. Given the ABV, booze is understated.

T - The taste is fabulous. Rich notes of roasted grain, molasses, dark chocolate, vanilla, Bourbon, charred sugar, toffee and sweet medjool dates are proffered, and the resulting brew is supremely delicious, and exceptionally decadent. The brew is intensely flavorful, literally saturating your palate with the richness of the elements at play.

M - Big, rich and luscious.

O - I did not find this brew to be exceptionally hot; it is, however, definitely on the sweet side. I tend to like some relatively sweet beers, if they are well done; exquisite (and disparate) examples that come to mind are JW Lees Harvest Ale, Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock, BCS Rare, TREAT, 100% BA Coton, Vanilla DL, Brandy Hunahpu, Westvleteren 12, Gouden Carolus Cuvee Van De Kaiser Blauw, etc. This is definitely a brew of that ilk, in terms of being a delicious nectar of the Gods, and it is as good as any one of the aforementioned brews.

05-18-2011 19:49:28 | More by ktrillionaire
emmasdad

Colorado

4.65/5  rDev +2.6%

Old draft review. Poured a rich, oily midnight black color with a hint of dark brown foam on top. Aromas of bourbon, dark chocolate, oak, vanilla and roasted malt. On the palate, this one is thick and full bodied, with flavors of dark fruits, huge bourbon, oak, vanilla, dark chocolate and hot alcohol. An insanely delicious and exceptional beer.

05-10-2011 22:50:19 | More by emmasdad
Phoenix2443

4.65/5  rDev +2.6%

Sampled with RandomBattle and some others on a NY trip home:

Appearance - there is no head whatsoever on this beer, very reddish brown in color, like the color of dark leather

Smell - vanilla, and bourbon. Very enjoyable, probably one of the best smelling BA Stouts

Taste - Wow this beer will creep up on you. With such a smooth taste I can imagine downing more than I realize when that ABV hits me. Lots of dark fruits, sweet molasses and a bit of vanilla towards the end.

Mouthfeel - Considering the style, its pretty thin, not the huge chunky mess that some other stouts have become at this point. However, I think it did work out pretty well considering its drinkability.

Overall - great beer, I realize its very hyped but I'm impressed with what I got when I got to try it

05-08-2011 22:16:26 | More by Phoenix2443
jbtice0315

4.95/5  rDev +9.3%

I've had the 2009 vintage once and the 2010 vintage out of the bottle 5 times and on tap once. The 09 is substantially better than the 2010. Not sure if this is due to the alcohol variation or age, but likely both.

This review is from a recent stout tasting I had - thanks to Mark for sharing - you're awesome!

A - Small amount of mocha head that did not stick around very long. This is dark like night, sticky yet silky, which I didn't even know was possible.

S - I smelled this for a few minutes before diving in. I didn't get any alcohol on the nose. Very complex, bourbon, vanilla, chocolate, and raisins. Love this smell - every time you go in for a whiff it's slightly different.

T - Amazing! The Bruery knocked it out of the park. Sweetness, vanilla, molasses, maple syrup, roast, chocolate, bourbon, alcohol is present but subdued.

D - I could probably drink half the bottle myself before the sweetness would take it's toll, however I would never do that because this a gem that can only be shared with a few people. What a great treat!

05-07-2011 18:46:38 | More by jbtice0315
seeswo

4.68/5  rDev +3.3%

Some kind soul gave me a pour at DLD. From the BT '09 bottle.

Pours a sugar-shimmering black with a small ring of whitish-tan head. This is big and looks yummy. The nose is enormous vanilla, with the rest being hints of wood, bourbon, chocolate, roast. But, this is a big huge vanilla bomb. One of the best smelling beers I've had. Unbelievable taste of vanilla bourbon. Side flavors of wood, and chocolate, roast, coffee, a touch of dark fruit. Definitely a sweet sipper of a beer. Little to no booziness, which is a shocking feat (might be the age). Unlike Bourbon County Rare, this has less depth of flavor and more punch you in the face vanilla. The mouthfeel is excellent, big, sticky with low carbonation. One of the top few beers I have ever had. Wow. Liked this better than Chocolate Rain, though everyone else felt the opposite way. This is legit.

[edit: since had this a few times and am dinging it a bit because none of my other goes have been quite as good as the original review]

05-05-2011 14:13:20 | More by seeswo
RandomBattle

4.72/5  rDev +4.2%

Had this at the Black Tuesday event at the Bruery and split a bottle with my friends at a later date, this review is a combination of the two.

Enjoyed out of a Bruery tulip. (how appropriate)

Appearance - Well, there is no head whatsoever on this beer. At first I figured it was because of the small pour at the event but having it a second time, with a larger amount in the glass, yielded the same result. Otherwise its black in the core with hints of reddish brown on the edges.

Smell - A wonderful combination of vanilla, chocolate, malts, and bourbon. Very pleasant and balanced, a lot of people say they just smell booze, while that wouldn't be unthinkable given the ABV there are a lot more wonderful aromas going on in there. My one friend, literally, could not take his nose out of his snifter, he loved it.

Taste - It's amazing. Asides hitting your tongue with a balanced myriad of BB RIS flavors, it is frighteningly smooth. I've had beers that were 10% and had a mild alcohol burn to them. This, not in the slightest. Nothing but smooth sweet vanilla, bourbon, chocolate, and some really nice port wine flavors. Fantastic.

Mouthfeel - Well it is incredibly smooth as I said, however it's not as thick as some other RIS's out there, which is in no way a bad thing, as a matter of fact it completely works for this beer. If it was any thicker this beer would be a bit overwhelming.

Overall - It's great. Very happy to have enjoyed this beer. I am supremely excited to open up the rest of the bottles I have in the future, and am looking forward to going to the Black Tuesday event again this year.

05-04-2011 16:03:18 | More by RandomBattle
cpmichael

4.43/5  rDev -2.2%

Big thanks to Khumbard for pouring this. Bottle 2010.

A: Pours a dark brown, almost black, but not quite. Not quite as thick as I was expecting, more like a strong ale, less an RIS. A thin layer of tan foam.

S: Smells sweet, with vanilla, and raisins/prunes, hint of dark chocolate and roasted malts. Booze, lots of booze.

T: Sweet and boozy. Raisins and prunes are dominate, with hints of oak, vanilla, dark chocolate nuances, but not as much as the nose would suggest.

M/D: Thinner than the style would suggest, good carbonation. Thought this would have benefited from being thicker, or maybe I just should not have expected it. The alcohol is very present, but it makes itself known after the swallow right in the middle of the chest. Very much like a whisky would. Awesome beer though.

05-02-2011 17:47:59 | More by cpmichael