Black Tuesday - The Bruery

2011: 18.3% ABV
2012: 19.2% ABV
2013: 18.9% ABV
2014: 19.7% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Black Tuesday Alström Bros
4.75/5  rDev +4.6%

3.33/5  rDev -26.7%

Thanks to Jeff and Erik for sharing this one during the BA tasting in Utrecht. Had this one (2011 vintage) side-to-side with the Black Damnation 5 double black
Look: the beer pours a dark black color with a very small beige-brown head.
Smell: Sweet dark malts, chocolate and bourbon.
Taste: Sharp and very sweet. Brown sugar mixed with bourbon and malts. The beer has a quite alcoholic burn. Way too boozy.
Mouthfeel: Medium-low carbonation, full bodied.
Overall: Way too boozy. It was funny to have this one next to the 24% abv BD5 in which the alcohol is much more hidden. The opinions about this beer head-2-head with the BD5 differed at the end of the evening, but the majority preferred the BD5 over this one. For me it was not even a fair contest. Overrated and K.O. first round against the BD5!

4.56/5  rDev +0.4%

Beer pours with minimal hed. Not quite as dark as I would have expected. Ring of off white head remains around the glass. Aroma is big vanilla, caramel, dark fruit, and bourbon. Flavor is pretty sweet. Lots of caramel, vanilla, dark fruits, and a bit of bourbon. Very nice and warming. A bit lighter mouthfeel than I would have expected. Nicely carbonated. Wow. I have had a few other bruery beers, but this one is clearly the best of the bunch. Though it was sweet, I would have expected something that was over 18% to be sweeter and boozier. Heat was well hidden in a nice smooth warmth. Outstanding beer.

3.5/5  rDev -22.9%

2011 Black Tuesday opened with my Dad on Christmas Day 2011.

It pours black, yep black. A few bubbles break the surface but it's ultimately an inky black beer with no head to speak of. Just a few tan bubbles. The aroma is okay. It's good I suppose. Dark fruits, intense alcohol, not heavy on the bourbon actually. I was expecting the bourbon barrel to dominate the nose but it didn't.

The flavor is actually a dark fruit bomb. Little roast, the bourbon notes are overshadowed by the figgy, raisin like flavors. Alcohol is evident but not nearly as evident as it could be. Lots of residual sugars create a long, sweet finish. It's not bad. It's not great but it's not bad. Complexity is somewhat lacking. I'd like a little more roasted malt flavor and little more bitterness. It's just incredibly sweet and after 5 or 6 oz can be a little draining on the palate.

The abv, style, and residual sugars would suggest a lush, thick, mouthfeel.... Yeah, not so much. Incredibly thin for the style. The carbonation is appropriate for the style but the weight on the tongue is lacking.

Overall, this is a nice beer. Not one of the Bruery's better efforts but a nice enough Imperial Stout. Not worth the price tag or effort to obtain for a Midwest guy with a shallow cellar.

4.97/5  rDev +9.5%

The 09 BT. Too bad the Larse is a mandate J. Split this one with R Moe Nay and Zapps to celebrate Festivus on 12/23/2011. We were all at 100 percent.

Poured into snifters. This stout is the Big Bad Wolf. This is the stout the Boogie Monster checks his closet for. Dark as the Larse's soul. Tan almost brown head. We can see that we are in for a real treat.

Aroma is more potent than a Larse burp. Bourbon at the front. Alcohol, vanilla, molasses, chocolate, prunes. The only thing I rather smell than this beer is Christina Ricci.

We all sat around R Moe Nay's basement scared to even sip this beast. I dared take the first dive. 19.5 percent ABV... I knew this was going to be a bad MF. This is the sam adams utopias of stouts. It took me 10 sips to even have an idea what was going on. All the aromas were present in the taste. None outweighing the other all playing their clearly defined roles. Damn, this IS a tasty stout. BA Yeti, KTG, 09 BT... right there with all the top contenders.

The mouthfeel is ridiculous. I cannot believe this is 19.5 percent. It tastes around 8 percent. The malts all work together in harmony to make this the most complex rich creamy stout I have ever had.

I had a 2011 Brooklyn black ops after this bad boy courtesy of R Moe Nay... It tasted like poland springs compared to the BT. I seriously thought he emptied the Black ops out and filled it with Guiness. This is one of those once in a lifetime beers that makes memories. Killer.

4.47/5  rDev -1.5%

After long deliberation, I decided it was a good day to open Black Tuesday. Today is monday , I have off from work and tomorrow is the tuesday following Xmas vacation... Back to work Black Tuesday tomorrow... I had a Melange No. 3 last week from this years batch and picking up many of the flavors from Black Tuesday, I was tempted to return to these great flavors.

A: Midnight black in color with no head, no lacing, very watery black looking.

S: Sweet bourbon whiskey , oak barrels , sugar, dark fruit and cherries.

T: Wow is this sweet. I had expected this after having any beer over 16% always tastes extremely sweet. This beer is no exception. It does however taste like the most magnificent Bourbon Barrel aged American Imperial Stout that i have ever had. Sweet bourbon flavors tinged my tongue while the sweetness of the malt kicked in at full strength. There are cotton candy, sweet black cherry flavors, candied plums, among other dark fruit flavors sticking out. Wow, this is sweet... I opened around 55-60 degrees and was glad that I did this vs opening at a refridgerated temp. The bourbon really comes out and stings at the end of every sip along with strong american oak flavors. Delicious

M: Medium in mouthfeel. There is a low but mild level of carbonation as expected and after I let her sit for a minute after opening, a nice frothy top came to the tip of the bottle.

O: This is definitely my favorite American Imperial stout that I have had to date and I have tried many. A few of these will be cellaring for years to come and I look forward to seeing how they age. The flagship beer from the Bruery has landed.

4.38/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - black with a finger or so of brown head that disappeared rather quickly

S - chocolate, booze, sugar

T - oh man, this beer was sweet. I think it gave me diabetes. Chocolate, bourbon, very sweet, coffee/espresso favors, so sweet.

M - very full, not too much carbonation. Smooth but also sticky.

A great beer, probably the sweetest barrel aged stout I've had. Boarder line cloying. I did manage to drink about a 1/3 of the bottle so couldn't have been that bad.

4.82/5  rDev +6.2%

This was one of the hightlights (if not THE highlight) at Doopiedoopiedoo's tasting a few weeks ago.

It was at the end of the tasting we tried this one against the Black Damnation V from the Struise. I am a very big fan of the BD V but this beer stole my heart...sorry Urbain!

I only wrote down the points for the beer and then my light almost went out. This is a beer from outerspace.

4.57/5  rDev +0.7%

A - Very dark brown. Some head, not much. No lace.

S - Booze and dark cooked fruits. I feel like I am munching into a cooked fig.

T - Beautiful mix of dark fruits, sugar, booze. It's like a fruitcake :).

M - Low carb, high body, good balance.

D - Glad to see what all the hoopla was about. Nice beer.

3.87/5  rDev -14.8%

2011 750 mL bottle poured into my new CBS snifter. Split with baconbourbon.

Appearance - Doesn't really pour as black as I thought it would be, considering it's called Black Tuesday. It's a little translucent at the edges. Temporarily has a head, but it doesn't last. How could it, really? It incredibly sticky. If left for a while, I would expect this to reduce to a molasses-like sludge.

Smell - Bourbon, sugar, and alcohol. Whoah. I kinda get some of the stout behind it, but really it's overpowered by the bourbon, sugar, and alcohol. When I first smelled it, I got a lot of the barrel. As I drink it, I get less barrel and more alcohol.

Taste - Bourbon at first. Vanilla and caramel. No oak, but the barrel seems evident just from the bourbon and vanilla. Lighter malts shine through much more than any roasted malts. Immensely sweet. In the back I finally get some flavors from the stout itself. Chocolate and some coffee, but it's an afterthought to the sugar and alcohol. The finish isn't as boozy as I expected.

Mouthfeel - Thick and syrupy. Boozy, but not in the taste. It's warming to the point of a slight burn. Split two ways, this is a big ask. I want to go to sleep, but I still have half a glass left and I know I won't feel so hot in the morning.

Overall - Disappointing, I suppose. I don't know what I expected out of such a gigantic stout. It's like the scene at the beginning of Super Troopers where they chug the maple syrup, except there's lethal levels of alcohol in this. Good night.

4.55/5  rDev +0.2%

2011 bottle

A: looks like flat Coke, same consistency too.

S: very mineral, Flintstones vitamins, prunes, soy sauce, maple syrup, very boozy

T: candy sugar, chocolate syrup, cola, raisins, vanilla, bourbon, brandy, red wine marinated mushrooms (especially beef bourguignon), a little bit of savory umami, roasty charcoal finish.

M: medium to thick, alcohol burns on the way down.

O: great, super sweet and boozy, but in all the best ways. The nose was lacking but the taste more than made up for it. Definitely want to let this one warm up.

Black Tuesday from The Bruery