Black Tuesday - The Bruery

2014: 19.7% ABV
2015: 19.9% ABV
Reviews: 614 | Hads: 3,308
4.87/5  rDev +9.4%

This beer is truly amazing! Shared from a bottle with brandoneast. The nose on this beer is so impressive it is indescribable. Huge chocolate, roast, bourbon oak up front. Taste is right on as well. If (and there is not)there was a downside to this beer it would be drinkability due to the high level of alcohol. The smell really boozed up after about an hour and I thought everything was cool. Then as I was laying in bed next to my wife she asks me to go close the blinds and I knew then that that beer was stronger than I expected.

Almost over the top sweet and boozey but the mouthfeel and nose balance it out.

Great beer overall and Patrick impresses me yet another time. (680 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +8.5%

2010 Bottle, Poured in Tulip

Before i begin, this has been one of the best beers I've ever had. It pours a midnight chocolate with a beautiful inch-thick head. You can immediately smell the bourbon-barrel and chocolate/cocoa nibs. Also get some vanilla scent towards the back end. This thing tastes like Heaven. I immediately taste the dark fruit, chocolate and bourbon. Breathe while twirling the beer in your mouth and your palate will also pick up on some vanilla and slightt oak. Not too effervescent, and after every sip, I felt like an oil sheath of Black Tuesday was left on my tongue. In terms of drinkability, I would replace this with water if I could... (665 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -9.7%

2010 edition, split with friends and poured into a snifter

A: Dark, dark brown but not quite black as you can see through the edges of the glass. There was a 1 finger light brown head that faded quickly leaving about ½ a crown. The head had fairly poor retention, even for the style and there was no lacing.

S: There's bourbon up front, but light and nice. There's some etoh on the nose in the middle as well as a little caramel. To me this actually smells more like a bourbon barely barelywine than a stout. I think that's mostly due to the high ABV. There's also a strange lemon/ginger smell at the finish.

T: The main flavors here are licorice, some bourbon, and an aftertaste that consists of a little bourbon, a little booze and a smidgeon of toast and vanilla. As a side note, there were very little flavors of coffee, chocolate, caramel, maple, or other flavors typical of a stout.

M: First, I didn't think this was nearly as thick as it has been made out to be. With that being said it has a great mouthfeel and is on the thicker side as far as imperial stouts go.

D: Considering the extremely high ABV this one went down fairly easy, but with notable alcohol in the aftertaste. I would definitely have it again, but to be honest was a little under whelmed given the enormous amount of attention this beer gets. (1,325 characters)

4.41/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The story of Black Tuesday. When glazeman and I first started our journey into the world of BA, BT was on our radar. I remember when it was first released, the hype that followed, and how it made its way to the top of the BA top 100. I never thought I would get the chance to try this beer. When the second release (2010) gave people the opportunity to purchase BT online, we jumped at the opportunity. We each got a bottle, no thanks to the broke-ass internet connection at the Hines VA. As someone who repeatedly proclaims, "support your midwest brewers," especially in terms of big stouts, I really was hoping to dislike this beer. What can I say? It is outstanding.

The appearance is nothing too special - tiny head that quickly fades - not a whole lot else going on. The smell is outstanding - booze, dark fruit, bourbon, vanilla. The taste is even better - vanilla, dark roasts, and an awesome chocolate after taste. Mouthfeel is also out of this world - just about as thick as Dark Lord. In general, this brew is very similar to DL, but a little bit less sweet, and obviously a lot more boozy vanilla. The drinkability is high, and the outrageous ABV is not even noticeable. I wish I had more of this.

I got told by this beer. Period. I wanted to hate it, but it was amazing. My standard proclamation needs an addendum - "support your midwest breweries, but get your hands on some Black Tuesday." (1,407 characters)

4.38/5  rDev -1.6%

Got this in a trade about a year back. Been waiting to try this for a while, but I think for review #400, I will pull out the big guns and open this one up. 750ml bottle, 2009 vintage...

A: Super pitch black color with no light shining through. Pours like motor oil. Thick 2 inch dark mocha colored head that fades at a decent pace. Awesome.

S: One review I remember reading on this said it smelled like a chocolate brownie. That is the first thing that hits me. It's like an intense chocolate with a bready cake scent blended in. Some raisin and cocoa in the middle with some vanilla and booziness blended in the backend. Very good.

T: This one's super hot! I get a think bourbon burn upfront with some huge chocolate malts in the middle almost like chocolate syrup with hints of raisin and a breadiness on the backend. Very thick. This almost reminds me of a chocolate martini. Very good.

M: Super thick with a heavy carbonation. A hot creamy finish. Good.

D: Drinkability is not as high as some have led to believe. Good.

All in all, this is a great beer. Super thick and hot. Very chocolaty and delicious. If you like stouts, you definitely should try this at least once. If you don't like boozy brews, then this is not for you. (1,238 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +6.7%

I was fortunate enough to attend a tasting put together by ShadesOfGray and this gem was definitely the highlight of the night. Serving was a 2009 vintage. Appearance was very dark with an almost maroon-ish head which disappears quickly. Smell is of coarse a very strong bourbon highlight, dark chocolate, and dark fruits. Plumb maybe? As far a taste goes I'm blown away. considering we just had Kate previous to this, BT is a big step up. Strong bourbon taste, good amount of vanilla thrown in there. Chocolate is big in this, and a variety of darker fruits. Its very thick, motor oil thick. Nice hearty burn on the way down. This is by far the best stout i have ever encountered. (681 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -19.1%

2009 version

A - poured reddish dark brown without much of a head

S - smelled very sweet - maple syrup and vanilla with molasses and a modicum of toasted malt. More sweet than anything.

T - Followed the nose perfectly. Opened up extremely sweet - loads of syrupy molasses and vanilla from the bourbon barrels. A lot of chocolate milk chocolate was blended in there as well. It ended very sweet, almost too sweet. I guess the sweetness is warranted for the huge ABV this thing packs.

M - chewy mouthfeel to it with a full body. The booze was really well hidden.

D - this one was overly sweet to me. I felt like this was a huge beer, but the ABV just made it way sweeter than it needed to be. I can see why some people would really like this, but I think the couple glasses I had of it were way more than enough. The overly sweetness got to me after awhile. Good to try, but I wouldn't be disappointed if I never had it again.

---

2010 version - it seemed that molasses wasn't as prominent and this was not as sweet as the 2009 version, albeit it was still extremely sweet. (1,079 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -8.5%

After having multiple times I guess it is time to put this one in the books. Thanks to corby112 for the most recent sharing of this one in the form of a 2009 vintage bottle.

A-Deep, dark, brutally black. Highlight? What's a highlight? A thin reddish tinged head quickly dissipates to a wisp of retention and leaves no lace whatsoever. Foam does reform with a bit of invigoration.

S-Fat dose of bourbon goodness up front with dry oak and sweet vanilla taking the center stage. Dark roasted malt, dark chocolate, eel sauce and dark cherries struggle to rise up out of the alcohol heat ooze.

T-Massive bourbon laden roasted malt, dark chocolate and dark fruit batter the palate with a non stop barrage of alcohol soak flavours. Massively complex with just so much going on it becomes hard to concentrate.

M-Medium-heavy to almost chewy bodied with a strong alcohol burn and LONG lingering flavours.

D-For 18+% it is surely more drinkable than expected but it becomes tedious and uninteresting after awhile. I don't think I could ever drink an entire 750 ml bottle on my own without some money on the line. Good? Sure! Life altering, no! (1,139 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -39.8%

2009 Vintage.

Am I supposed to eat this, or drink this? Does this stuff go into my car? Is it safe to consume? This thing is pitch black with no head unless I give it swirl, and the beer coats the glass a little bit like wine instead of leaving actual lacing.

What the hell? The same questions I asked before come to mind when I smell this. Fire, chocolate and whiskey. Strange combo.

My nose is on fire. Maybe it's my throat. I can't tell, but it's hot. I can feel all of my nose hairs. They burn. If you could see my face, it would say "grimace." I'm pretty sure this wasn't meant for me to drink, but I can't seem to chew it either. What is it? I taste wood, whiskey, chocolate, molasses, dark fruits and loads of dark malt, but mostly I just taste alcohol. Burning, nose-hair-melting, fusel fire.

Mouthfeel: Chewing on a mildly spicy pepper?

This thing is unique and complex, but it's also a sticky, jumbled mess. I don't want to try this one again. (958 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +8.3%

Thanks to RocPorterFanatic for sharing a bottle of this with me.

Reviewed from tasting notes. Bottle was 09

A: Syrupy and Dark mahogany as it pours. Black in the glass. Not a lot of head from the pour, but a gentle swirl gets a nice caramel head.

S: Very rich and sweet. Vanilla, oak, and a hint of bourbon. It actually smells thick. Tons of caramel in this, as well as notes of brown sugar and molasses.

T: A vanilla and caramel Explosion of sweetness. Dark and malty. The bourbon comes in the finish, with oak and a little more caramel sweetness. The booze is pretty well hidden in this monster.

M: This explodes in your mouth with sweetness. Thick and syrupy. You can feel the booze more than you can taste it. Carbonation is good for the style.

D: Sweet as hell, but man is this tasty. A sipper for sure, but complex and amazing. Damn, I see why Overlord drinks this everyday. (891 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -7.4%

750 ml bottle split and poured into a Bruery tulip. 18.2% ABV, no date (2010 edition).

He'll never see this, but I must send a big thanks to my fiancée's uncle for picking up a few bottles for myself and friends and sending them back this way!

A - Pitch black in appearance but clear on the pour, this one comes out like motor oil. It produces a short-lived tan head with almost no lace. Sticky legs cling to the glass.

S - Strong alcohol aroma followed by wood and heavily roasted chocolate malts. Notes of coffee with fig, raisins, and slight pine hops on the swirl. Then again that could just be the pine-sol cleaning agent coming from the hot booze. It doesn't smell as thick and sweet as I remember it.

T - Sweet molasses and rich bittersweet chocolate with subtle coffee notes and barrel aroma. The bourbon doesn't come through as much as straight solvent alcohol like in the aroma.

M - Thick and syrupy-rich with a full body, this is the thickest beer I've ever had for sure. Hot alcohol is surprisingly mellow in it's perceived feel. Not too overbearing.

D - Definitely boozy overall and unbalanced toward sweetness but very good and different regardless. This begs to a) be sipped and b) be shared. I wouldn't open a bottle of this without at LEAST two other guys to share it with. (1,297 characters)

4.35/5  rDev -2.2%

Many thanks to corby112 for bringing this 2009 vintage 705ml bottle to our tasting on 1/23/11!

A - Definitely blacker than Monday with a burnt tan ring around the top of the glass. Oily and ominous.

S - Although the bourbon is quite pronounced (no surprise there), the aroma is rounded out by chocolate, molasses, vanilla and a hint of soy sauce.

T - As with the aroma, the bourbon character dominates the initial flavor. Underneath all of the boozy warmth lies the true heart of Black Tuesday, though. Wood, chocolate, tobacco, vanilla and soy sauce all emerge to create a delicious flavor profile. While the bourbon presence is clearly over zealous, the alcohol remains fairly restrained for an 18% ABV beer.

M - Full bodied with an extremely oily, viscous texture and timid carbonation. While this is 18%, it drinks more in the 8-10% range. Mouthfeel is sticky and warm overall with a moderate alcohol burn in the finish.

D - OK, the Bruery finally has my attention now. Full-bodied, complex and brimming with bourbon and vanilla goodness, Black Tuesday is a pretty amazing BBA Imperial Stout.

Brewslut's Quote of the Day:
"This was my beer of the day!" (1,165 characters)

3.99/5  rDev -10.3%

Huge thanks to javib458 for sending this beast to me.

2009 vintage, 20 malts, son!

Pours pitch black and completely opaque without even the slightest hint of lighter color and a half finger dark mocha head that dissapears immediately. No lacing at all.

Boozy bourbon aroma with hints of earthy oak and vanilla. slightly roasted chocolate malt as well as some hazelnut and toffee but the nose of this beer is all about the barrel. There's a nice vanilla marshmallow presence that cuts down the hot spirit character. Subtle soy sauce in the nose as well and the bourbon dominates but the malt presence becomes more evident as it warms.

Chewy medium body with a huge blast of bourbon that lingers troughout into a sweet, hot finish with plenty of warmth in the chest. Slightly viscous but a bit thinner than I expected based on the appearance. As it warms the silky chocolate malts become more apparent but overall this is kind of a one dimensional bourbon bomb. Faint hints of chocolate, toffee and licorice. Lots of alcohol sweetness and subtle soy spice flavor but this beer is actually pretty drinkable with a relatively well masked ABV. I would have never guessed that this was over 18%.

Overall this beer is pretty tasty and easier drinking than expecting considering the ABV but it's a bit one dimensional and thinner bodied than I prefer for the style. (1,364 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -33.3%

2010 Bottle

A - A fair amount of carbonation bubbles for the ABV. Certainly worthy of it's black title.

S - Mildly diluted rubbing alcohol.

T - Sugary black licorice. Alcohol vaporizes in your nose as you sip. Lip lingeringly sweet. Boozey but not overwhelming.

M - Thick. Smooth. Very little carbonation.

D - Sip sip sip. Quickly becomes fatiguing.

Thanks to BeerFMAndy for sharing. (389 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +6.1%

2009 Vintage! Served from bottle into a snifter while at Beechwood BBQ with a lot of Cali BAs after the Bruery Party. Poured pitch black with a minimal tan head. There was no lacing evident throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, caramel, dark chocolate, and slight alcohol. The flavor was of sweet malt, roasted malt, dark chocolate, alcohol, and maple syrup. It had a heavy feel on the palate with low carbonation. Overall this brew was nothing short of excellent. Had a great flavor and aroma going on here that invited you to come back for more. This vintage was still a little hot, but still great. Massive thanks to the BA who shared this one (can't remember who it was but BM me if it was you and I will give you appropriate credit). Definitely glad I got to try this one! (800 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +9.4%

2009 Vintage Poured into my Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary glass and shared with a friend.

This beer absolutely lives up to the hype and is worth seeking out by any means necessary. I have never had a beer at this high ABV (19.5%) and been able to detect very little of the booze. You do have to drink it slowly, because of how heavy it goes down and just for the purpose of enjoying every last sip. My friend and I both agree that this is like a fudge cake/brownie wrapped into one of the most unique and exceptional beers you can have of this style. It is without a doubt a special occasion beer and one worthy of that occasion. I think the year of age on it as well had some to do with the drinkability. (707 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured from a bottle into my Orval tulip.

This is a black as night beer with a small brown head that didn't leave any lacing. Smells of burnt char and nice chocolate. This drinks exceptionally smooth and well and awesomely drinkable for a 20% beer (this was the 2009 bottle).

I like this beer and would like to drink some more of it, but you really want to have someone around to help share it with as it will mess you up. (424 characters)

4.35/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours a dark black chocolate color, nice.

Smell is of brown sugar molasses, alcohol, chocolate, and roasted malts.

Taste is of alcohol, molasses, sweet caramel and toffee. Very big and complex stout, but the alcohol is very prevalent.

Medium carbonation, sweet, smooth, very boozy.

Sweet and boozy, good beer but the alcohol is really strong, but maybe that is to be expected from an 18.2% beer.

Overall a great beer, but not something you could ever drink an entire bottle of. (482 characters)

4.42/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This review is for the 2010 version.

After opening the bottle, it gushed slowly over the top and onto the counter top, eventually falling to the sheet vinyl flooring below. This was not expected, as the bottle's owner was away rinsing out his Hopmonk snifter, readying it for a splash of Black Tuesday to celebrate the New Year. After cleaning up the mess, a healthy pour was allocated to both the bottle's owner and compadre.

The beer sitting in front of me mirrored the night sky and seemed to reflect the chasm of the atmosphere overhead. It looked both still and alive in the same instance and seemed indifferent to the cold evening air.

In order to wash away the dinner smell of braised short ribs, I buried my nose in the glass. A wave of bourbon alcohol, warm fudge and mocha from Pete's coffee house greeted me. Another sniff revealed strong vanilla extract, spices, cinnamon and more bourbon. This is something that one could dive into and swim around for awhile, and a few laps are necessary.

A quick swig immediately made me aware of the high alcohol content and that 18.5% wasn't something that is quickly imbibed, but savored over an evening, which it was. Further sips revealed sherry, port, chocolate, vanilla, cinnamon, bourbon, a sweet brewers concoction of malt and sugar, all spice and a similar flavoring that reminded me of Melange 3, or vice versa as this was a component in that blend.

There was a cold front moving through the peninsula and a thick, wool blanket was needed to stay warm. The beer served as a secondary heater, heavy and viscous, helping to keep the cold night air at bay as it infiltrated the old single-pane windows. The minimal carbonation was appropriate for a beer of this style and seemed in tune with the Victorians that line the streets here in San Francisco, old but still relevant, almost flat but not quite yet.

I think that 2011 will be a good year. And for a year that starts out with a glass of Black Tuesday, it has already eclipsed the previous year. (2,013 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

2009 Bottle: Poured into a Duvel tulip glass and was motor oil pitch black in color with a creamy 1 finger brown head that faded slowly and left decent lacing; wasn't sure what to expect after cutting off the wax, and this beer looked mean as it poured - like the heartless souls of Wall Street dumped into a glass.

The aroma was all business and very impressive; starts off with a whiff of bourbon and then meanders into dark fruit like plum, dates and raisin, molasses, chocolate, cocoa, burnt grains, coffee grinds, brown sugar, toasted malt, vanilla, toffee and something else sweet which I can't put my finger on because the alcohol presence seems to come in waves. This defines the imperial stout aroma to me, as the bourbon barrel aging is so evident that this feels like an after dinner dink. This is super sweet and powerful in every sense, but yet somehow still alluring and pleasant to inhale. Exactly what I hoped for in the odor and I am psyched to have this bottle all to myself as this smells spectacular.

Tastes like it smells, with bourbon, dark fruit like plum, dates and raisin, molasses, chocolate, vanilla, cocoa, burnt grains, coffee grinds, brown sugar, toasted malt, toffee, smoked/burnt wood, red wine, dates, and an overall sweetness that pushes your taste buds to the limit in a good way. The alcohol heat is evident and lets you know it's there, but somehow manages to blend in nicely with the bourbon and malt sweetness which is at an extreme level and took on some of the barrel woody notes. There might be some hops in here, but they are so overwhelmed that they were not present to me; the lack of hops didn't matter much as this flavor is so incredible it wouldn't matter what was used since this is so complex and tasty - wow, just a great beer. This flavor is for anyone who likes stouts, bourbon and getting fucked up.

Mouthfeel is smooth and slick considering the ABV heat that burns as it goes down and then warms your insides in a peaceful manner; this is a chewy stout that has a heavy body and a real rich feel as the weighty ingredients make for a beer that is dynamic and robust, and gets you wasted all at the same time.

Kept this for a year and then opened it today to enjoy it's earthly pleasures; slow sipper is an understatement, I nursed this bomber. Outstanding taste and beer experience, this was delicious and while it messed me up from the high ABV, I enjoyed each and every sip of this world class brew. I highly recommend this beer and advise everyone to grab a bottle if they can. (2,544 characters)

4.37/5  rDev -1.8%

Brought to the New Years Eve tasting by Bankhead. Greatly appreciated, Henry!

A: Straight black, topped with soft brown, shimmering head that holds on to all but a collar that maintains all the way down.

S: Roasted malts, deep vanilla and woods, alcohol fusels, and some notes of saltiness and anise.

T: Big roasted malts, sweet coffee and loads of vanilla and creamy toffee. Very sweet, yet not at all cloying. The alcohol is very noticable, as expected, and manages to complement it very nicely. I didn't expect it to be so very well balanced and port-like. Strangely, I don't pick up on anise on the palate. Excellent.

M + D: Thick and rich, yet slick and smooth and easy to take back. Nice warming without being "hot" or otherwise boozy. Again, a well balanced big beer that I'm pleased to have tried (809 characters)

4.37/5  rDev -1.8%

I first tried this beer at DLD 2010, but was in no condition to remember enough for a review. I do remember it being very strong at the time... This week, I was lucky to try a pour of 2009 BT with a fresh palate, courtesy of Spycow (thanks Chris!). It was the first drink before a fairly large tasting, possibly not the best first choice what with the ABV, but one I pounced on.

This bottle was actually opened the previous night but was recorked in such a way that there was very good carbonation remaining. A nice audible when we pulled the wine stopper out. It poured dark black with a thin tan head (almost certainly diminished head versus drinking it the night before).

The aroma was much much better than my DLD recollection. Big bourbon notes and all sorts of delicious scents, vanilla and chocolate, rich roasted malts, some dark fruits, and very little alcohol (for a beer with >18% ABV).

Everything comes through in the flavor, this beer is definitely as good as people say. It comes across as sweet but not cloying, and the bourbon is tasteful without being overbearing. You can tell it's got a decent kick if only from the slight burn, but really you don't taste the alcohol. All of the other flavors mask it very well.

Low carbonation, probably due to the way I had it, but it worked well and I thought it was a nice creamy match for the flavors. The only real negative is the packaging, this type of beer should be sold in smaller bottles. I would never want to open it without a small crowd. Excellent. (1,524 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -7.4%

Bottle. 2010 version. Oh, the fabled and mythical BT!
Poured into a tulip glass a dark brown with slight reddish brown highlight on the rim. The head is very slight and forms a tan head around the collar of the glass. The aroma is very boozy with notes of molasses, vanilla, bourbon, dark chocolate, and toffee. The alcohol burns the nose as you inhale a deep breath. The taste is sweet with hints of bourbon, dark roast, chocolate, and booze. The booze somewhat overpowers this and I kind of wish it was dialed down a tad but that being said, for the abv this is pretty smooth drinking. Warms as you drink this beer. No lace but it has legs for gods sake! Medium/heavy mouthfeel. This beer is pretty sweet flavor wise. For being such a high abv beer it really is decent but given the choice on an everyday basis, I would rather have a lower abv imperial stout. (861 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +7.9%

Thanks Hophead101 for breaking this out during the epic tasting! The Holy Grail or RIS ?? I'd say so...

Appearance:

Upon popping the cap and cutting the wax off the neck there was a decent amount of carbonation gasses that cam from the large bottle. On the pour this baby comes out jet black like 10W-30 motor oil and will not let any amount of light pass through it. I was left with a dark dark chocolate colored head that was maybe a half an inch thick and slowly dissipated as I sipped away. When I give a little swirl there is a massive amount of lacing going on here , it seems to stain the glass deep red like iodine and crawls ever so slowly down the walls.

Smell:

Wow, huge bouquet of black chocolate, figs, dark whiskey soaked cherries, heat alcohol, cocoa, bourbon, vanilla, oak tannins and even some Raisin Bran. There is just a load of aromas going on here that you almost have to try to believe very complex.

Taste:

Man, does it get better than this ? I'm going with one of the best RIS I ever had. Surprisingly very smooth and the alcohol is hidden very well. Figs, cream, cocoa whiskey, sharp barrel notes, warming alcohol some ash and meaty tones. I cant get over how easy this drinks which is very dangerous. Very sweet molasses, and vanilla round out this robust ale.

Drinkability:

Lets be real here, your not going to pound a 16oz glass of this but damn would I love to try. This is very slow sipping and isn't for the faint of heart so its drinkability is a little lower but still makes for a epic tasting ale. (1,538 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +10.6%

First off, many thanks go to the BA now known as IronKrausen for hooking me up with this beer. He will be mentioned again in a future review involving a 5 year vertical of another great beer. More on that another day...

I'm not sure if I've ever told this story here before, but shortly before moving out to Portland back in May of this year, I put out an "In Person" trade request for Sierra Nevada Ken & Fritz's Ale. It didn't make it to the bottle shop I frequented in North Georgia, so it was definitely a want. MADhombrewer answered my post and we set up a meeting for some pints and the swap at Don Younger's fantastic Horse Brass Pub when I got to Portland. That initial trade has led to our friendship and more than a few bottles opened at each other's houses. Black Tuesday was the last bottle opened at our most night of "bottle popping". It was shared with my wife "TulipSnifter" and his wife-to-be "WitchesBrew". Nine bombers averaging about 8%-9% ABV were opened prior to this one so I was quite surprised to find glorious well written notes and scores typed into the memo pad section of my BlackBerry the next morning when I woke up at 10am with a splitting freaking headache. Onto the review now that the back story is out of the way. Very little embellishing has been added to these "real time" notes.

A: Poured into a stemless crystal Reidel brandy snifter, Black Tuesday appears sinister enough to propel the American economy into flat out bankruptcy. The super thick viscosity of the pour glugs into my glass to reveal a bottomless gash in the earth inky blackness with deep brown heartland soil edges. The very light fizzy walnut head dissipates quickly to reveal just a glass ring of bubbles. Swirling allows the liquid to creep up the sides of the glass and descend back to the body in legs. 4.5/5

S: Holy Hammer of Thor is this thing extreme! Without a doubt this is the most alcohol-centric beer I have ever smelled! Other Barrel Aged Imperial Stouts I have had like to showcase the barrel but this is a Rockette high kick to the olfactory's! I don't think I have to worry about my nose hairs for a while because they all just got singed off. The wonderful sweet Bourbon just dances everywhere. Black pepper spice, white pepper heat, and cinnamon warmth just dance a jig that I can't get enough of. My new standard for what -BAL stout should be. 5/5

T: Another wow to add to the list of previous tasters. If the aroma wasn't wild enough, this roller coaster ride of a beer just went for a double loop. Does this taste like what I expected 18% to be? Not even close! Sweet milk chocolate, sweet dates, sweet brown sugar, sweet caramel, sweet bourbon, and sweet cinnamon candies are all along for the cork screw turn on the track. I LOVE an overly sweet boozy beer and this fits the bill to a "T". 5/5

M: My Tongue is literally numb. It's definitely on the medium-low carbonated side but it's just so luxurious and smooth those bubbles may not even be needed. Take them away all together and you have something resembling Cognac. That is not a problem in my book. Despite the super-hero sized dessert sweetness in the taste, this actually finishes a little cleaner than I expected. 4.5/5

D: The next bottle of Black Tuesday I get is going to be opened by me and me alone! Seriously though, it's a beer that I could drink by myself should I really want to but would best be shared with others so its magnificence can be talked about. Saying "wow that shit is good" doesn't quite have the same impact when tucked away in a man-cave by one's self. Get a few other people to share a bottle with or they won't believe your fabled stories of Black Tuesday! 5/5

I actually looked into airplane tickets to attend the brewery release this year. At the time I thought it may not be worth it after adding up all the costs. Hopefully Patrick Rue can make a few more bottles of this for next year and maintain this level of quality because I will be trying like crazy to get tickets for the 2011 party. If I manage to do so, I don't expect to be the only new face there. This never was a secret to faithful local patrons of The Bruery and now I'm very much in the know as well. I hope to see everybody there next year! (4,234 characters)

Black Tuesday from The Bruery