2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Black Tuesday - The Bruery

2010: 18.2% ABV
2011: 18.3% ABV
2012: 19.2% ABV
2013: 18.9% ABV

(Beer added by: OlieIPA on 07-18-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Black Tuesday Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,133 | Reviews: 543 | Show All Ratings:
Crittervision

4.88/5  rDev +7.7%

a lot of this will probably overlap with beavers below. we enjoyed this one yesterday. a lot.

deep deep black all the way to the edges with a quarter inch head that is darker than tan, nearing brown. incredible (did not end up being the darkest though). the head regenerates wonderfully with just a swirl. and! this is the first time i can say ive appreciated the legs of a beer. that was a fun discovery. not as excessive/impressive as other high alcohol beverages, but there, and pretty, and from a beer.

smell is full of sweetness. milky caramel, bourbon and chocolate. there is a hint of soy sauce for me. i believe beavers said salty in that respect. the heat is more perceptible in the smell than the taste.

sweet everything. man. chocolate, bourbon, cake, cherry tootsie pop when the cherry is mostly gone and its all tootsie roll, molasses minus the tanginess. but then all this sweetness is balanced with a nearly hidden roastiness, moderate (incredible for 19.5%) alcohol, and a bit of a vinous characteristic. at the end of the glass, the last few drops (not even last sip, but last drops) are huge on the molasses (tanginess evident), and booze. that the alcohol waited that long to wake up is phenomenal.

Edit 1: forgot to mention that we found these flavors to lie on a gradient. every flavor blended into the next, there wasnt huge bourbon here, huge chocolate there. it was all just a subtle gradation from one flavor to the next. super duper.

creamy and poofy with carbonation playing its part to keep it fluffy. ive used creamy to describe beers before, but this one makes me think of heavy cream with just the right amount of carbonation to remove most of it from my tongue. wow.

drinkability is insane. it is so easy to forget this is a near-20% abv beer. 20% alcohol, 100% delicious. it is incredibly balanced, generously full of flavor, and delightful in every aspect.

Edit 2: again, forgot to mention that after we had finished our glasses, we were ready to drink anything. this beer wasnt overwhelming in any negative way. we moved on to other beers with no problem, and wouldnt have hesitated to drink more of this one if there was another open bottle in front of us. mmm!!

02-24-2010 00:37:29 | More by Crittervision
hoppymcgee

4.58/5  rDev +1.1%

Thanks to Ineedabeerhere for opening this bottle last weekend!

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a Deschutes tulip glass. Obviously, this is the 20 malts version.

A: This is the best feature of this beer. Lively, flowy, gracious head! For such a high ABV, this is impressive (compared to the likes of BCS, BA BORIS, etc.). Bubbles tantalize your eyes as they sit atop the beer.

S: Bourbon, vanilla, oak, maple, wood, and black cherries. Honestly, I also got hints of a mulled wine aroma too.

T: Sweet, sweet, sweet molasses. Just kidding. This is the sweetest/sugariest beer I have ever had though (thank you 20 malts!). Bourbon in the background and leaves a pleasant vanilla taste as it goes down.

M: This is the best feature of this beer. Like an emulsion and warming against the inside of the mouth when swished around. Haagen Daaz milkshake anyone?

D: This is the best feature of this beer. For 19.5% ABV, this stuff goes down real easy. We split this bottle 4 ways and had no problem finishing our glasses within an hour or two (of course because you want to savor it!).

Did you notice I wrote "This is the best feature of this beer" too many times? Yeah, that's because this beer is awesome! Very appreciative for getting to try this.

02-24-2010 00:31:40 | More by hoppymcgee
beavers

4.72/5  rDev +4.2%

Big thanks to jrallen24 for this beautiful bottle.

750ml split three ways. Snifter style.

Pours jet black with an oily and creamy dark brown head [note: I said that this was perhaps the darkest head I've seen...but was beaten later in the night by Marshall Zhukovs]. Looks like old motor oil. Head dies down to a blanket covering, but restores easily with a swirl.

Rich and decadent aroma of caramel, sweet dark chocolate, and ___ . Bourbon notes are present but are definitely secondary behind the sweet candied flavors. Fusel alcohol notes are also unsurprising existent and while they significantly increase as it warms, they are definitely in the back.

Taste is very sweet upfront (chocolate syrup, molasses, and caramelized sugars) and this sugary sweetness transitions seamlessly into sweet bourbon flavor and builds from there. The bouron barrel gives off nice earthy flavors of toasted wood, vanilla bean, and licorice. This really isn't an overly roasty RIS, and I don't really get coffee...and it doesn't bother me one bit. The alcohol is AMAZINGLY well hidden and the barrel perfectly integrated.

The mouthfeel is syrupy and viscous, and while I thought it would be too much, it is not where near cloying for me. This beer is huge in every way possible but is extremely drinkable considering the 19.5%. We all thought that it tasted much more like a 10% beer.

02-23-2010 05:32:20 | More by beavers
aerozeppl

We split a bottle at Cambridge Commons at the post EBF lunch. Usual suspects avryle and drseamus. Before the review let it be said we had 6 people to split the bottle and we probably could have used another person or two.

A: It is black. That really does not do it justice though. This is the blackest beer that I have ever seen. The pour was in slow motion at it was really sticking to the snifters. More head than I thought would be on this beer. Super deep mocha/ coffee colored. No lacing.

S: Nothing like bourbon at noon on a Sunday. The bourbon really is overpowering. You get booze behind that. A little bit of burnt espresso beans and just a touch of chocolate after it had been sitting in my glass for about 30 min.

T: Bourbon again. This is one of the most over the top bourbon tastes in a beer ever. The heat and the sweetness catch up as well. There is not enough roast bitterness to balance it out. It is a one dimensional beer but it was an enjoyable experience.

M: Super thick. Just coated everything on the way down. The heat is part of the mouthfeel big time. You can actually feel this beer hit your stomach.

D: I am torn. It is a singular effort but it is not that drinkable a beer. We split the 750 6 ways and people had a hard time finishing their glasses. Granted we were in a restaurant but this beer probably needs quite a few friends and many hours with no one driving afterwards. I would drink it again though.

02-23-2010 02:33:10 | More by aerozeppl
WesWes

4.83/5  rDev +6.6%

The beer pours a pitch black color with a 1/4" brown head that fades to lacing. The aroma is out of this world. It's warm and dark with excellent bourbon barrel character. The black and roasted malts are present and accounted for. The taste is perfect in my opinion. It's a strong black, earthy, roasted beer with a thick rich flavor that goes down warm and finishes the same with a nice bourbon character. The bourbon really compliments the overall experience. The mouthfeel is exceptional. It is a full bodied beer with near perfect carbonation. This is my new favorite beer in the world. It has everything I'm looking for in a drinking experience.

02-22-2010 10:14:40 | More by WesWes
drabmuh

Maryland

4.53/5  rDev 0%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

20 malts! Wow. I was annoyed with all the hype surrounding this beer but given the opportunity to try it, I was seriously blown away by it and I'm really glad I got the opportunity.

Beer is black (shocking) and forms a thin brown head that leaves some lacing on the glass. Carbonation is moderate to low. When I swirl the beer it coats the glass and leaves legs on the walls of the glass like a fine wine would do.

This is a seriously big beer, I was expecting alcohol in the nose but no...it smells sweet and there's some bourbon smell in there but no straight alcohol. I can pick up some roast as well. Really nicely balanced, seriously.

Beer is sweet up front but has a good body to it, medium. I'm definitely not drinking rubbing alcohol but I'm also not chewing it. There is some bitterness in the back but again, the alcohol is completely masked. I'm knocking it down on drinkability because I honestly don't think I could drink a lot of it, its builds on me in both sweetness and bitterness but its a great beer. Think Bourbon County on steriods.

02-22-2010 03:21:23 | More by drabmuh
Fahmie25

3.88/5  rDev -14.3%

Popped a bottle of this at pre ebf training with a few fellow BA's

A-black. oil. not too much of a head, but more than i expected for a 19.5% abv beer

S-bourbon overpowering, as per usual with the style. lots of chocolatey notes as well, although much harder to notice than i wouldve liked because of all of the bourbon

T-WAY too much sugar IMO, honestly kinda burned my throat on the way down--but not because of it being too hot, because it was just so sweet/rich. also huge amounts of chocolate again, really nice chocolate flavor, not AS bourbon-forward as the smell would have made me think

M-thick, thick, thick. like a freakin smoothie-but in a good way.

D-for being 19.5%, i guess one could say its very drinkable, but at the same time i had trouble getting down my glass because of the sugary burning aspect of it-just way too rich and sugary for me.

Overall it's a good beer, pretty impressive, but nowhere near the "god" of all beers like people say. Wouldn't go out of my way to have it again, happy i got a chance to try it though.

02-21-2010 23:28:48 | More by Fahmie25
drseamus

4.1/5  rDev -9.5%

This is a true monster of a beer. The full brunt of the 19.5% ABV and strong bourbon character pack a hell of a one-two punch.

It pours from the bottle like oil from the drain plug on my car when I've gone 15k miles without a change...dark and thick. It looks truly syrupy in the glass and they'll probably need a chisel to clean the glass fully.

The bourbon aroma is intense as it wafts out of the glass and up your nose to rip the hairs out by the root. It is so overpowering and imposing that I can't detect anything else in there.

I've had to put myself on a tongue transplant waiting list thanks to this beer. Right before it killed my last tastebud I recall a ton of bourbon with copius amounts of chocolate and coffee. They were however not copius enough to consider ganging up on the bourbon in an attempt to get some foreground action. The bourbon rules this beer with an iron fist and dissent will not be tolerated.

The mouthfeel is surprisingly light for the intensity of the flavor and syrupy look. I think the bourbon must have scared the body away. In place of the body he has appointed his son, the esteemed Mr. Bourbon Burn, as Vice Chancellor of Black Tuesdayville.

All things considered, this is not a very drinkable beer but under threat of violence from the bourbon I have been instructed to wrap up this review on a positive note. It actually is pretty damn good in small doses but drinking a bottle would put a man six feet under.

02-21-2010 20:40:58 | More by drseamus
jeffthecheff

Connecticut

3.7/5  rDev -18.3%

Thanks Joe for splitting the bottle. Shared 4 ways with the renegades of funk as part of the pre-EBF tasting.

The appearance is incredible. It pours pitch black with a very impressive head formation in the Bruery tulip. It's got a thick consistency and is one finger high at first, and then recedes to a dark brown ring of very fine bubbles. Some film is left on the glass.

The aroma is gigantically malty with some liquor character coming from the bourbon. Rich chocolate with a touch of coffee, vanilla, oak, and alcohol form a very complex and strong nose. This is the strongest smelling beer I've smelled, but not the most boozy.

The first flavor match I thought of was java chip coffee ice cream. Charred wood, chocolate powder, vanilla, marshmallows and bourbon make up a strong and rich flavor. As it warms, the bourbon unfortunately comes through more, but so does molasses, brown sugar, white sugar, and maple. It's complex, interesting, and boozy. After every sip, it made me think more than it made me say "this is a good beer." I can appreciate these complexities and the uniqueness though.

Black Tuesday is the thickest beer I've ever had. The level of carbonation was higher than I expected, but it helped. It felt like I was drinking something with a lot of un-dissolved sugar, as there was obviously a lot of residual sugars in this. This made it a bit hard to drink. It became a chore towards the end, so I left a bit in the glass and went to sleep. It tasted surprisingly similar the next morning, with more of a marshmallow character to it.

I was very interested in trying this beer, and I liked it more than I thought. I'd like to try next years release, which I think will be an improvement over the first attempt.

02-21-2010 05:24:55 | More by jeffthecheff
stonequarrywest

4.3/5  rDev -5.1%

Must say this was as good as advertised...

Beautiful Big Black Pour with an amazing nose!!

Sweet sweet bourbon in this bad boy. From the nose to the taste.. Big and Bold but also extremely smooth. Warming all over !!!

VEry good beer...So glad i was able to try this one!

02-20-2010 05:32:53 | More by stonequarrywest
tprokop7

4.18/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thick, black pour with no head. Aroma is sweet and of bourbon. Flavor is very balanced for something this big, very sweet and malty but not as hot as I would have expected. Overall a great brew, but I'm not sure it was worth all the hype that surrounded it.

02-16-2010 23:54:32 | More by tprokop7
baggio

Sweden

4.38/5  rDev -3.3%

Bottle@Friends place.

A: Dark++ with a wee, brown, head.

S: Molasses, Bourbon, Roasted malt, Ripe fruit. Awesome.

T: Alcohol, Bourbon, Molasses, Dark Chocolate, Ripe fruit, Licorice. Very high residual sweetness.

M: Superthick and creamy with almost no carbonation. Thickest beer i've tried to date.

I thought this beer would be all about the hype but i was wrong. It is a super-thick imperial stout that hides it abv extremely well. I would not want more than 2-3oz of this during one sitting. So damn filling.

02-14-2010 15:56:04 | More by baggio
francisweizen

Arizona

4.72/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was my second time having this nectar and it is great.

Super dark black with a tiny whispy of espresso foam.

Aromas of bozze, chocolate, mollases, bourbon, roasted malts, and slightly green hops.

Taste is more of the same. Booozy roasty heaven.

Mouthfeel is thick and drinkability is great.

This reminds me of WWS that has been aged for 6 years.

Killer stuff.

02-14-2010 04:30:25 | More by francisweizen
brdc

Wisconsin

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

I believe this one was generously traded by KJGAGNE (please correct me if I am wrong).
Large capped bottle poured into a snifter, divided three way.

Pitch black as expected, deep and thick, impenetrable to light, with about a finger thick dark tan head that holds amazingly well for the ABV, and leaves chunks of lace on its way down.
Aroma is very rich and nice, malty as expected, with layers and layers of sweet goodness. Vanilla, bourbon, chocolate, coffee, cookie dough all play a role.
Compared to the review below, from the same bottle, I have to say I did not notice the "power" that much; I would have actually guessed a 10-12% based on the taste, but the flavor itself is quite rich and powerful. Malty, sweet goodness plays a center role here, with dark chocolate, cofee, vanilla, bourbon, dark fruits and a hint of hoppiness nearly lost in the middle for good measure.
Full bodied and creamy, with an average carbonation, this is one rich beer, but should be shared given the ABV. Drinkability is high all things considered, in this cold Wisconsin night.
Great beer, but IMHO, does not challenge either Dark Lord or Westy 12 for the first place in my cellar.

02-13-2010 19:34:56 | More by brdc
SykDoc

Wisconsin

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

Had this with brdc and stoutsnipas courtesy of the generosity of brdc. Poured from a bottle into a snifter. It pours a thick deep black and forms a 1/2 inch mocha/red head that leaves a beautiful lacing of swirls. It is absolutely opaque when held to the light.

The aroma is fantastic. The first thing that was most prominent was the bourbon and vanilla components and a strong dark malty sweetness. A healthy dose of dark chocolate and an earthy hops scent is also there.

My first comment with the taste was, you can tell this has horsepower. There are hefty doses of dark chocolate, dark fruity sweetness, molasses, and bourbon. The hop character is a bit more citrus than in the nose. Oak and alcohol, as well as vanilla are definitely present but not overwhelming.

The mouthfeel was solid with a full body. The beer goes down quite smooth leaving a velvety texture with a pleasant dryness at the finish. Carbonation was reasonable and alcohol seemed to play a greater role here than in the taste.

This is a phenomenal beer. It is a little hard to drink primarily due to the intensity of flavors, as well as the ABV. It should be shared and could easily overpower just about any food.

02-12-2010 04:41:47 | More by SykDoc
Kegatron

4.75/5  rDev +4.9%

Capped 750 ml bottle into several glasses on 2/3/10. Big thanks go to Deuane for busting this bad boy out on his 40th birthday as a special treat for us all to try.

The pour on this is blacker than black, with about a ½ finger of angry, burnt, reddish, and just all around mean looking, mocha colored head. The retention is this is actually pretty sturdy for a barrel-aged effort, staying foamy on the sides and then more fizzy across the middle portion of the glass. Swirling this gets a steady rise of froth, which leaves a cascade of sticky foam and brown oils, which ever so slowly creeps down the sides of the glass. The aroma is literally, like a bomb going off in the nose. Cocoa, vanilla, brown sugars, herbal hops, burnt molasses, bitter dark malts, and fried smelling sugars, are all out in full force here. The Bourbon kind of hangs half in and half out here in the nose, mingling effortlessly up front with the other flavors and then showing itself all out in the back. As you can imagine, there is a good bit of heat present that singes the nose hairs a bit but when you're dealing with flavors this huge, it only adds to the general badassness of this dark and powerful bouquet.

The taste is just as large and in charge as the aroma was and contains much of the same feel and flavors. Burned and blackened malts, espresso, green citric tones, extremely sticky and thick notes of chocolate, toffee, smoky molasses, brown sugar, plums, and black currants. Trust me, if it dark and sweet tasting, it's probably in here. Bourbon hangs over the other flavors like a hazy cloud, being prominent but still allowing the largeness of the other flavors to still shine. Understandably, the barrel character seems to get a bit lost in the shuffle at times but I can still pick up a good bit of earthy tannic dryness in the finish. The mouthfeel on this beer feels beyond full, with a massive creaminess to it that literally blows up in your mouth. All of that chewy sweetness and herbal character comes in off of the sides with a gooey slickness. I don't think that any description I can give can properly give the mouthfeel of this thing its due. The ABV on this is beyond warm. It's downright hot at times (with the Bourbon flavor adding some of that) but it's not nearly enough to make you think that this thing is pushing 20%. As a matter of fact, everything else about this beer is so huge and ridiculous, I didn't mind it one bit! Hell, throw some over-the-top alcohol in there as well! The more the merrier!

Well after finally getting to try this, I can definitely see how just how polarizing of a beer this can be. Everything about this (OK, except maybe the look) is just outrageous and I think that one's enjoyment of this will depend on their like of these types of flavors or big Stouts in general, as they are totally taken to the nth degree here. I personally loved every drop of it! I will say that a little bit of this goes a long way. I had about 4-5 oz from the bottle and that was plenty for me. This was definitely a bottle meant to be shared by friends.

02-09-2010 20:36:20 | More by Kegatron
Slatetank

4.15/5  rDev -8.4%

Big thanks to the generosity of Deuane for sharing this beast. Poured chilled into a 1/2 pint and allowed to gradually warm

A - Big and black appearance -the look is not quite viscous like black chocolate liquid, a ring of light tan is present and a bit of cream revives to a thin skin of a head when swirled. The lace hold on the glass when sips are taken

S - molasses, vanilla and toffee notes are high in the aroma w/ baked brownie and a light cocoa bean and dark roast coffee

M -Moderately full feel, not quite syrupy. The feel is warming,yet not quite boozy w/ sugary feel and mild roasted texture w/ nutty and slightly smooth oily fee The beer seems spicy and dry as it finishes

T - The flavor is intense from the get-go, black currants and cocoa w/ dark brown sugar and slightly charred malt taste w/ woody accents and toasted grain w/ bitter herbal flavor and dark roast coffee-like acidity w/ lots of intense concentrated wort flavor like a dark malty molasses accented roasted elixir, both dry and sweet w/ spicy and alcohol flavors all very forward in the flavor, big beer that lets you know its a bruiser but doesn't knock you out with the first taste. The layers of malts and wood and alcohol all are in sync and leave ripples of full flavor on the tongue even after the taste

D - The drinkability is hard to compare to others of the style, very high quality and enjoyable to savor, yet not something you would want to pick up and drink all that often. For what it is it is highly drinkable. The flavors evolve very well and the abv while evident is still not close to what you might expect 19%+ to be when consuming this

02-06-2010 20:39:08 | More by Slatetank
ClockworkOrange

4.13/5  rDev -8.8%

A 750ml bottled shared by Deuane. Poured into my Selin's Grove wine glass. The stout appears a pitch black color akin to dark molasses. Repeated vigorous agitations only managed to produce a thin layer of dark ecru head. Nose and flavors consist of milk and bittersweet chocolate, vanilla, mellow bourbon notes, dark brown sugar/molasses, smoke and a bit of char, deeply caramelized malts, dark cherries, raisins, more chocolate and smoky bourbon. Smells a tad better than it tastes. Some, but certainly no where near enough alcohol heat to lead you to believe this beer is pushing 20%. Full bodied and rich, but rather sweet. The perfect bottle to split between 6 or more people. Thanks again D!

02-06-2010 05:07:57 | More by ClockworkOrange
Jmoore50

Nevada

4.18/5  rDev -7.7%

I owe wespatrick a lot for this one. He is a great trader and hopefully he is happy with what I sent him. We all know the story about the beer and the stories about what people thought about it. Reviewed from notes.

The pour looks like used motor oil that came from my old 1980 Oldsmobile. It hits the glass and with a very aggressive pour produces a half finger head. The head has big fat bubbles, the whole thing is colored like a dark leather belt. The alcoholic legs are medium, but leave behind a grainy residue. The head leaves very fast and all that is left is a film over the brew that reminds me of 'The Swamp Thing'. No lacing and no head retention is why there is not a perfect score.

The smell is divine. Moist chocolate cake, bourbon, raisins, plums, earth, Hersheys syrup, and lots of sugar. One of the best smelling beers I have come across.

The taste comes off not very complex at first, but then the sugars give way to other characters. Dark fruits covered in Hershey syrup. Cinnamon with figs and bourbon in very small hints. Absolutely no alcohol in terms of harsh 20% ABV, just the smooth flavors of bourbon and earthy malts. Towards the end of the tasting it came to taste more like liquid chocolate cake. It was so sweet that if I had the choice, I would of paired it with some vanilla ice cream to make it the best dessert ever. The sugars are expected, but I have never had a beer with such an array of chocolate sugar flavors. Liquid cake, fudge, chocolate covered raising, but no bitter cooking cocoa. Nothing really bitter at all, just smooth sweet chocolate. I almost wish the bourbon was a bigger character, but this is a little aged to the point where it is starting the transformation into a different beer. Overall pleased but too sweet.

The mouthfeel has a bit of alcoholic breath, and sits heavy on the palate. It has a grainy aspect that reminds me of over cooked fudge. Its sugars grind in between your teeth and pretty much put the sweet tooth in a head lock. I could of drank the whole bottle easily, but would of felt like I had just finished a whole batch of fudge by myself. A dessert beer at its best.

The drinkability is good and very enjoyable. It is the perfect beer to share with someone for the third person that tasted this enjoyed it. She was a non beeradvocate that seems to like craft beer. She tasted it and very much enjoyed it. I think that this is the creme of the crop for some, and just okay for others. I can see why this got so much praise, because it does deserve it. It is extremely sweet and rich and decadent. It is a beer you pair with the finest dessert with the best of friends. I enjoyed it, but it is far from my favorite of the style.

J

02-03-2010 05:44:29 | More by Jmoore50
Gtreid

Thanks go out to moosington for the opportunity. Bottle poured into my Stone RIS tulip. This one was consumed after a long day of moving. High expectations.

A: Mostly black, but with reddish hues around the edges. The pour dropped a thin rim of foam that quickly dissapeared, and left no lace. However, it did leaves some nice legs, similer to a red wine.

A: I get the burbon straight away, followed by a vanilla, caramelly, sweetness. I also get a tartness from dried fruit, mainly prunes, raisins, and figs. A healthy amount of molasses is also present.

T: This is where the brew falls apart for me. The burbon is overpowering, then it is followed by an overbearing sweetness. The person I shared the bottle with described it as burbon soaked prunes. And I would have to agree. I think there is just way too much going on here. I can appriciate the complexity, but the flavors do not meld well. I get prunes, raisin, figs, vanilla, caramel, and molasses. Next to no hop presence. It finishes with a warming as it goes down the throat.

M: Heavy body, but slick and oily. There is very little carbonation, so the beer seems to slip around the palate.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is extremely low. The two of us had a rough time finishing the bottle. Overall I was very dissapointed with BT, I thought it was kinda a mess. Although I am happy I got to try this, I will not be seeking it in the future. Skal.

Re-review: 12/9/2011
Vintage 2011. Although I have changed my mind about this beer, I still don't believe it is a world class brew. The body is too light for the ABV, and it is very sweet and very boozy. It MUST be served at room temp! The flavors and nuances of the beer come out much better at 55-65 degrees. All in all, this is a huge beer, and one that I am glad I revisited.

01-31-2010 12:58:25 | More by Gtreid
hobojon

4.2/5  rDev -7.3%

Split with 3 other people courtesy of MrFootstones.

Aroma- tobacco, chocolate, clean alchohol, earthy dirt, mineral, vanilla, molasses, oak, wood, roasted/charred malt. whiskey.

App - rich dark brown foam. creamy. black with mahogany edge. good retention. legs.

Taste- roasty, chocolate. caramel, lots of specialty malt and unfermentables. slightly funky off malt complexity - too many malts. delicious layered flavor. licorice. brown sugar. hops are balanced and not distinct. very sweet but also intense overall.

Mouthfeel- full, sweet and cloying if drank too fast. low fine carb. lots of clean alcohol- it is there but not harsh. syrup. could be better but great for a huge beer.

Overall- similiar to Bourbon County Stout but not as good. I would prefer an Abyss or BCS over this, but it is very good. The alcohol is strong so a 6 oz pour is enough.

01-31-2010 09:31:17 | More by hobojon
Beerisheaven

4.2/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

The headliner of our winter tasting tonight. First off, large props to BevmoIan and Errantnight for the hookup of Black Tuesday bottles and being reasonable traders of this highly sought after beer. Thanks to you both.

A - Dark pour with a khaki head that settles down.

S - A virtual whose who of smells greet you afer a pour into a snifter. Everything that you can imagine, toffee, caramel, candy sugar, chocolate, coffee, and smoke. The only reason it is not a 5 is that the booze is fairly apparent. I would equate this to Darkness or Dark Lord *2 with a strong boozy smell.

T - Given that it tops out near 20%, I have to give the mad scientiests mad props for this beer. It certainly has the booze behind it, but it is 20% for crying out loud. Actually, very pleasant given the ABV which is a real marvel to the craft of this beer. The booze is there, but it is still great.

M - Slick, chewy, oily and very satisfying.

D - You can split one of these 6 ways and still get a good experience. Try to drink this one by yourself and you will make a fool of yourself. You just can't have more than 4-5 ounces of this and get away with it.

It is a great beer and worthy of the acclaim. Other than the over the top boozy profile, it is REALLY good. Thanks to the above mentioned again for the hook-up.

01-30-2010 05:18:10 | More by Beerisheaven
Brent

Kentucky

4.35/5  rDev -4%

Almost 20% abv? Amazing - ususally something that big turns out to be a fiery mess, but here we have a surprisingly smooth big beer. Dense and a bit sweet, with caramel and brown sugar notes, overlapping intense roasted malts. This would be the ideal fireside sipper.

01-25-2010 15:07:47 | More by Brent
DaveJanssen

Germany

4.53/5  rDev 0%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Split a 750mL 4 ways (Thanks MrFootstones) 1/22/2010. Poured into a tulip glass.

Ar: Alcohol, sweet, dark caramel, chocolate, roast, strong vanilla, oak, very sweet and smooth aroma, brown malt. similar to GI BCS, Great full malt profile, molasses, earth, whiskey character increases with warmth

Ap: Black with mahogany around the edges, thick smooth dark tan head, very good retention, legs

F: Chocolate brown malt, light roast, syrupy sweet, alcohol very apparent in nostrils, molasses, dark caramel, whiskey spice, dried fruit, complex and full taste without being muddled, caramelized nuts, light fennel/anise, smoke hints at the end of the taste

M: clean but very present alcohol,low/medium carbonation, sticky and sweet, rich

O: Alcohol is strong but good, thick viscous and syrupy, Similar to the bourbon county stout (which i think is a bit better), a 6 oz pour was perfect, much more and it would have been difficult to finish, sweetness is balanced an unobtrusive, overall a great beer

01-25-2010 05:17:40 | More by DaveJanssen
kels

4.88/5  rDev +7.7%

I love my brother...thanks again, pwoods, for sharing this one with me.

Pours deepest chocolate brown, pretty much black. It is completely opaque - absolutely zero visibility in this beer. Not much head to speak of, just a few cocoa-colored spots suspended atop the liquid and a soft ring of foam that hugs the sides of the glass and leaves behind little watery spots of lace.

Amazingly delicious aroma from this beer. The creamy bitterness of dark chocolate mingles with sweet cream. The bourbon is perfectly balanced in this beer - not masking the rest of the aromas of the beer while not assuming a background role. All the aspects of the aging are there in the nose, too - oak, vanilla, char - it smells incredible.

Wow. If the aroma didn't convince me, the taste of this beer has guaranteed that it lives up to the hype. What a delicious and complex beer. The chocolate is intensely sweet - almost too sweet - and slightly bitter. There is a huge vanilla presence in this beer to a degree I haven't experienced with barrel-aged imperial stouts before. The creaminess is thick and full, and it compliments the bourbon nicely. It is sweet and nutty, somewhat like toffee. While the bourbon is present throughout the whole drink, it is especially pleasing in the aftertaste where the heat from the alcohol really presents itself and the bourbon lingers with a fruity, dark-cherry-like sweetness. Feel is creamy, well-carbonated and mouthfilling. It is impressively smooth with a nice bubbly finish. It leaves behind a slight stickiness on the palate and hot, drying alcohols of vapor in the mouth. The beer immediately warms the chest, and it continues to do so throughout the drink. A very pleasing experience in my opinion.

Drinkability isn't exactly huge for any beer of this style, but this one especially hides its high (crazy high) ABV well. The alcohol feel and taste is definitely present, but it is so well-balanced by the full flavors and full feel of the beer that it goes down much too easily.

01-25-2010 01:37:06 | More by kels