Black Tuesday - The Bruery

2014: 19.7% ABV
2015: 19.9% ABV
Reviews: 625 | Hads: 3,395

750ml bottle shared at woodshop 5.1

Poured a dark as night black like motor oil with a very thin head and almost no lacing left on the glass. There was a lot going on in the aroma which consisted of chocolate malts, coco nibs, brown sugar, slight bourbon notes, vanilla and toffee. It had a sweet nose which probably included dark fruits as well. You can definitely smell the bourbon. The flavor was really complex with the chocolatey brownie striking first on the palate with bourbon, toffee, vanilla and caramelized sugar accents. After a couple sips I also got slight coco like the nose and booze for sure. Black Tuesday was full bodied with a low amount of carbonation that had a silky sweet and boozy finish. It was pretty drinkable considering the ABV on this beast. I actually enjoyed it more on tap before they released last year don't get me wrong it is still a great beer I just had to put in my two cents on it that's all. This is something everyone should try at least once.

4.52/5  rDev +0.9%

Black waxed 750 mL bottle courtesy of vurt in a very generous trade. Poured in to the Bruery-logoed tulip that was also given as an extra by the very same!

Appearance: Pours an ominous inky black, absolutely pitch, thick, viscous, and oily, like tar in to the tulip. A rather vigorous pour on this one didn't help increase its turbulence too much out of the neck of the bottle - this one was a slick, velvety monster, and it slid right out with no difficulty whatsoever. Whatever vigor it did have managed to elicit a good two fingers of deeply cocoa head that fizzed, surged and ... surprisingly, against all odds ... did manage to stick around for a good three minutes or so, before all hints of surface lace, side lace, and collar had vanished. After an initial surge of embedded carbonation calmed down, this was one still, silent beer.

Aroma: Absolutely decadent ... on first impression, it's a cherry/raspberry chocolate cake, awash in a bourbon fudge glaze. One of the most beautiful and surprising things is the absolute lack of bourbon heat. I'm just amazed at how they were able to bury so much alcohol. That's not to say there's no bourbon or barrel presence or character - there's plenty of vanilla, some coconut, and some toasted wood sugars, but still ... damn. The alcohol heat does begin to make itself known as this one hits room temperature, but it took long enough that I'm still colored impressed. Raspberry and cherry syrup coat the nostrils fully, that beautiful mistake of high-alcohol fermentation, melding wonderfully with the slightly toasty but mostly sweet, fudgy, bittersweet chocolate malts.

Taste: Ridiculously sweet and incredibly flavorful. The malts in this one are over the top intense and over the top sweet - I found myself wiping my mouth after almost every sip, like you would do with a milkshake. Huge fudgy chocolate dominates the flavor profile, slightly bittersweet, a little milky, or at least suggestive of mikyness. The cocoa comes across as powdery at points but mostly Hershey's-syrup esque, and you can find it in recognizable form in corners of your mouth that you haven't touched with your tongue in minutes a full half an hour after taking a sip. Various other sweet malts try and jump in - toffee, maybe, some caramel and lactic sweetness, maple syrup, a few hints of dryer malts, toast, faint espresso.

One of the wonderful things about high abv% beers is definitely showcased in this one, and that's the high, sharp, fruity esters that yeast produce under such conditions. This one takes on beautiful sherry-esque notes, with raspberry, cherry, and blueberry notes mingling with all the stray sugars to suggest pure extracts or fruit syrups.

The barrel aging here contributes a few coconut overtones, some slight wood sugars, and plenty of vanilla, but as far as bourbon goes, I think it gets lost at places. There's alcohol heat here - particularly compared to the nose, where alcohol heat was practically non-existent - but the spicy, slightly earthy, mildly roasted malt notes that are associated with bourbon are a little muddled.

Mouthfeel: Thick, syrupy, and absolutely over the top ... but with a surprising amount of carbonation. I also imagine it's been thinned out a little by the spirit infusion ... I tremble at the thought of this beer's original gravity. The thickness does keep this beer remarkably even, creamy ... no, it's too thick to be described as creamy. This one's sort of like melted ice cream (cheap ice cream, such that its 50% air to begin with), at that point when it's been sitting around just long enough that it's reached liquefaction, but not long enough that all of the infused air has yet escaped.

Drinkability: So much to say about this beer and so few characters in which to say it. First, there's no way in hell I'm going to give a beer: 1) this overwhelmingly sweet; and (more importantly) 2) this overwhelmingly high in alcohol anything above a 4.0, and as a self-respecting beeradvocate, I just can't do it. This is nonetheless a really enjoyable beer, and every sip I took made me wish more and more I had a piece of fudge or a slice of German chocolate cake to pair it with. This is the quintessential dessert beer, the sweetest beer I've ever had, and an absolutely over the top decadent treat that I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to have. Is it - to quote a memorable BA thread - only a matter of time before it becomes the #1 beer on BA? Clearly (as its fall from the top 5 indicates) not. It is, however, a great beer, one showing both a mastery of production as well as of craft, and one I was thrilled to have the opportunity to try. Worth seeking out ... though, honestly, not worth trading what a lot of people have probably traded it over.

4.6/5  rDev +2.7%

Had this during the NBA Final game. A full tulip for both me and my buddy cmorton. I also poured some samples for my non beer nerd friends, the bartender, and the owner of Blue Palm's (where we were watching the game). I brought the bottle from home, so don't go rushing over to Blue Palms expecting to find a bottle (they do however have Firestone X if you have $165 you wish to spend). Pardon the detailed introduction, but this was probably my biggest want ever.

A: Pours jet black. Like super duper black. A fat couple of finger reddish khaki/mocha head. Very surprised by the amount of head as many high abv/barrel aged beers usually do not have much. Oily, syrupy legs when swirled, and wisps of lacing left behind. Looks heavy.

S: An almost candy like aroma of brown sugar, caramel, english toffee, maple syrup, vanilla, and chocolate cake batter spiked with bourbon. Hints of raspberry and cherry are also there. Smells quite sweet and insanely decadent.

T: Very sweet. There is caramelized brown sugar, english toffee, black strap molasses, maple syrup, and sweet chocolate fudge. This is a very sweet beer, but somehow manages not to be cloying or soy sauce like. Then there is vanilla, some hint of oak and a solid bourbon kick. Not quite as heavy on the bourbon as I imagined but it is waiting at the end of each sip to let you know what's up. I was eating lobster mac and cheese while sipping on this, and the sweetness of BT with the creaminess of the lobster mac was epic. The sweetness is a little much on it's own otherwise this would have been a 5 as well.

M: Surprisingly not the thickest beer ever. Don't get me wrong, it is quite thick and syrupy, but there are others out there that can contend. Full bodied, incredibly rich, low carbonation, and an almost velvety texture. It's a little hot too, but that's mostly on the back end as it is going down (not as hot as I imagined though).

D: It's 19.5%, but manages to mask that in a complex shroud of sweet delicious desert flavors spiked with bourbon. I would have guessed it's abv to be much lower if I wasn't already aware. It is definitely something you will want to sip on and savor, but I could see myself drinking a whole bottle (which would be an epicly poor decision).

3.21/5  rDev -28.3%

Shared by capra12 (Jon). Opened at a tasting 5/29/10. 4oz. pour from a 750ml waxed wine bottle into a snifter. Reviewed from notes. You know your tasting is epic when BT becomes an afterthought.

A: Pours a 1/4 finger mocha head that quickly collapses in on itself. Beer is a black hole. Perhaps the blackest I've ever seen any RIS. No lacing.

S: Ridiculous booziness upfront drowns out all pretenses of complexity. My nostrils fight to try to get something more here. Some chocolate, prunes, raisins, other dried, dark fruit, brownie, and licquorice. Not the most appetizing aroma as I think I'm gonna get a facefull of alcohol...

T: Chocolate, dark fruit, brownies, and licquorice. Exceedingly sweet and a huge booze bomb. Make no mistake about it, I tasted all 19.5% of this one and every sip made me cringe. Aftertaste is... what else? Sweet is all heck and still incredibly hot and boozy. The complexity is definitely there... but its blanketed by alcohol.

M: Medium to full bodied with more carbonation than I'd expect. Oily in the mouth and silky going down. Very smooth for its ABV. Finish is messy with a big, lingering aftertaste.

D: All hype. How could I think anything else? Waaay to boozy and waaaay too sweet. Its sad since there's a lot going on here and the feel is near perfect but why does it have to be 19.5% and why does it have to flaunt every single % in the taste and nose?!?! I'll give it another try down the line but as it is now, definitely not my cup of tea and DEFINITELY not worth the buzz and trouble.

3.61/5  rDev -19.4%

Thanks Kevin for sharing this!

A- Body is a deep, dark, viscous black color. Fizzy head appears and fades quickly into a thin, light tan collar.

S- Nose is very boozy at first-which is to be expected for a 40 proof beer. Alcohol astringency all over the place, beneath this is a very sweet background of bourbon, peanut butter, milk chocolate, amaretto, vanilla, toffee, and caramel.

T- Flavor is very sweet at first. Milk chocolate, notes of sweet bourbon, caramel, and sugary sweetness. The finish is much like the initial flavor and is surprisingly smooth with minimal alcohol astringency- but it packs a lot of heat at the end with a big alcohol warmth.

M- Low carbonation. Thick, syrupy, and smooth and creamy. Minimal alcohol consistency.

D- I am very pleasantly surprised by this one because its a 19.5% beer that drinks like an 11%. This was split amongst 5 people so I had a good 5 oz-but not a whole serving. A good beer overall-but inconceivable for it not to be shared-so I am hesitant to give the drinkability a 4. Surprisingly not boozy with the exception of the nose and VERY sweet. This brew is quite complex-but not really balanced.

3.96/5  rDev -11.6%

Thanks to MrChopin for sharing this one.

A-pours a jet black liquid with a dark tan colored dense head.

S-the nose is not as boozy as I feared. lots of roasted malts up front, peanut butter, dark chocolate and vanilla. bourbon takes hold behind, hints of acetone.

T-again does pretty well on the flavor in compared to the alcohol content. tons of roasted malts up front, dark chocolate and lots of vanilla. notes of bourbon in the middle with some nice sweetness in the back. the acetone is quite light and it is hot but not much especially for the alcohol.

M-as expected, huge, thick, chewy. great carbonation level to hold body but still fall down the throat.

D-this is huge as expected but no where near the boozy mess I thought it was going to be. the alcohol is there, much more so in the nose. the balance of roasted malts and sweetness is done well and the bourbon notes are present; but a complete lack of any oak and a little hot in the back.

4.72/5  rDev +5.4%

pours out a thick, deep brown liquid that would accommodate no light to shine through and only some mere ruby highlights on it's edges. It was an exciting moment I had anticipated for months.

The minimal carbonation that culminated right after a vigorous pour, dissipated to leave a halo of moderately sized bubbles where the cherished booze touched the glassed edges.

Black Tuesday's gives off a deep aroma of dark cherries, chocolate, with roasty, as well as prune, raisin and fig notes. Lots of alcohol in the nose with licorice and very rich bourbon to sweeten things out on the end. So far the aromas do not disappoint.

The taste is as complex as it is alluring. The velvety smooth liquid tastes of caramel, chocolate, vanilla, dark fruit, prune and dark cherry that all appear miraculously with a syrupy, sticky alcoholic heat on the finish. In the most simplistic manner, Black Tuesday is one big dark chocolate covered cherry that has been soaking in bourbon.

The complex flavors are a lot for one's palate to contemplate. Its oily yet silky smoothness makes this beer incredible in mouthfeel alone. This revelation simplifies the complexities of flavor, yet the syrupy sweetness leaves the palate with full-bodied remnants that could almost be chewed.

Hype can be undoubtedly bad for a beer, just as it could be good. My opinion of this beer suffered greatly through my first sips, expecting a life-changing event after reading how great it was. Upon more thorough contemplation, and drinking much more Imperial stouts, I realized the intensity of flavor this beer offers. This is a must drink in my opinion.

4.67/5  rDev +4.2%

GLASS: Snifter
TEMP: Served at approx. 45 degrees or so and allowed to warm
Thanks goes to infestaxion for this one. He told me the night before DLD '10 that he'd share this with me the next day, then sought me out to make sure that I got a pour of it. I wound up getting three more pours of it throughout the day from other good souls, but Dave gets the credit, since he was first. Thanks goes also to the others who shared with me though, of course!

This appears to be black at first glance, but with a little backlighting it reveals itself to be a very dark brown color with red highlights. A small head of dark tan colored foam forms on top and then quickly dissipates, leaving a small surface ring around the edges. Lacing is minimal, but a few spotty pieces are here. The 'legs' on this thing are most impressive, though. A light swirl leaves an ample oily residue clinging to the side of the glass and slowly sliding back down to the surface of the liquid.

The smell is amazing! Lots of things are happening inside this glass. Big notes of oak and vanilla. Lots of chocolates are here, both of the milk and dark varieties. Good presence of dark fruits, especially dates and raisins. Nice hints of caramel, brown sugar, and toffee, with a big shot of molasses thrown in. Light hint of smoke. Nice espresso bean notes. Very good bourbon presence. Good shot of lightly roasted maltiness.
Maybe the most complex and intriguing nose that I've experienced to date. The booze is a touch to forward to give it a 'perfect', but it's nowhere near as prominent as I expected with a 19.50%abv. Still, I could just sit here and smell it for a long time, without drinking it, and I'd be happy.

The taste is so good! Almost everything that was spotted in the nose makes another appearance in the flavor profile. You also get a little tiny hint of licorice and some faint coconut notes. A touch of figs comes through with the other dark fruits. A little bit of yeasty biscuit quality is here. Some very mild spice notes are way down deep.
The overall taste is that of a sweet stout. If you like your stouts more on the roasty side this is probably not for you. While it is very complex, it is also suprisingly smooth and nicely balanced.
Worth the wait, as far as I'm concerned.

This one is quite thick and somewhat oily. It has a mild level of carbonation, which works very well for it. It's so silky smooth and easy to swallow. I'd give it a 'perfect' if it had some creaminess going on.

Okay, at 19.50%abv this is too easy to drink. Nothing this 'high-octane' should go down this easily. I'm sure that I'd regret drinking an entire bottle by myself, the next day or something, but I'd have a great time doing it, and don't think that it would be a problem to do so. It's so smooth and easy and delicious.

4.17/5  rDev -6.9%

Reviewed from notes. Thanks to pecorasc for splitting this 3 ways

A: Pours Dark Black. Medium tan head, but NO lacing. Looks like it came out a little thin.

S: One word: Molasses! dark fruits come through and I pick up alcohol, but not the 19.5%. Nice bourbon and vanilla aromas. Smells a lot like the 08 Darkness I had a little while back.

T: Very sweet. Lots of alcohol/bourbon in the front. Dark Fruit appears in the finish with molasses and vanilla. I like the sweetness, but if you dont, this beer is not for you. Also, the alcohol burn is there.

M: Surprisingly thin. I was hoping for more body with this and some nice chewy thickness.

D: Its sweet and high alcohol, so you cant drink a lot of this, but overall, I thought my 3rd of the bottle serving was perfect.

4.3/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours a black color with a dark cocoa head. Head fades away to a small ring of bubbles.

S- Very wonderful smell and a lot going on here. Woody, sweet malts, bit of vanilla, caramel and molasses. Some chocolate and alcohol here too.

T- A nice mix of flavors sweet malts, vanilla, chocolate, figs, black licorice and caramel. The alcohol is here but not nearly as strong as I expected.

M- Very full in body and low carbonation. Almost like syrupy too.

D- Fairly easy to drink maybe just a little too sweet for me tastes but still solid. Split this one with a great group of guys at DLD.

4.05/5  rDev -9.6%

DVelcich invited a few BAs over to share the bottle he acquired. (Did it cost him a growler of Captain Krunkles? I don't know, but he is a generous souls for allowing a few of us a chance to try it).

I did get a chance to sample this one at Dark Lord Day, but I never got to review it.

I poured this into my Duvel tulip--

It isn't as dark or viscous as I was expecting it to be. It is a very deep brown in color, not black at all, but it has very large bubbles of a tan head that disapaited ather quickly and settled into a little whispy cloud of a thin cap of bubbles... But the bubbles are enormous in size. I did give this a rather vigarous pour to get some kind of head, and I've been swirling it every now and then to see the legs and release some volatiles.

I first smell a really big boozy/whiskey presence. It just has to be the alcohol level-- which is noticable in the beer, but it isn't kicking your ass, it's actually very nice the way the alcohol bite melds in with the choclate and vanilla notes that I'm getting out of this one. A whole bunch of intense dark flavors with a lot of english toffee and even some coffee. Very nice nose, and very delicious. Swirling it around my mouth really opens up that alcohol warming sensation that is working quite well with this brew. On the taste you do get some coffee and some chocolate with a little vanilla and toffee in there as well.

Very nice taste, and surprisingly well-balanced for being as strong as it is. The 8 ozs I had is more than sufficient in terms of how much I would want to drink of this beer. I would honestly have no interest in trying to take down a whole bottle of this beer, but I mean that not as put-down of the beer, but rather a sad comment on the realization that I am in fact a wuss. (At least on this particular day-- where this was opened up 9/10s of the way through a pretty big and bold tasting party).

I do feel lucky to be given another chance to try this beer again, so big props to Dan for inviting me over!

On the mouthfeel, you really get that this a full thick stout, and that it actually is thicker than it looks. It looks thinner than it feels.

As this warms, I am getting even more of that roasted malty goodness.

Overall-- I'm going to say that this is a great beer-- but as far as all the hype-- I think that the ABV is the real reason this has become a bit of a whale. They do a great job creating a flavor profile around the huge ABV, as opposed to trying to cover it up. It is worth trying, and I'd like to see all of the hoarders give up a few bottles here and there to guys willing to let others in on a tasting.

4.5/5  rDev +0.4%

A - Dark black with a touch of red and a nice tan head. Head faded relatively quickly and didn't leave anything on the sides.

S - Molasses and fruity are the two things I pickup out side of the normal big stouts. Nice roasted malts and muted chocolate with some interesting coffee malts that just meld with the other smells.

T - I got the impression that this beer was way over-hyped but the taste is actually quite stunning. Incredibly smooth with a nice cocoa and roasted backbone. A pretty sweet beer, and I had no idea this was nearly 20% while drinking it until someone mentioned it. Don't taste the alcohol.

M - Oily and slick, mediumly carbonated.

D - Way way waaay to drinkable for 19.5%. Are you kidding me? Dangerous stuff.

4.22/5  rDev -5.8%

Revisited on 6/16/12.

Vintage 2011. Side by side with batch 2 of Chocolate Rain!

Poured into snifter from bomber bottle. Pours a black not quite opaque color with a small brownish tan head.

Smells of boozy bourbon, vanilla, and rich chocolate.

Taste is wonderful! Bourbon goodness right away with chocolate, marshmellows, and vanilla. Very sweet and rich. Finishes sweet with vanilla, oak, hint of leather & tobacco with even more bourbon.

Awesome mouthfeel heavy full bodied beer with low carbonation. Viscous, and coats the mouth first sip! Drinkable when you consider how high the ABV is. It still has that warming heat to it.

Overall: Its a beast of a beer. Drank side by side with Chocolate Rain, my preference goes to Chocolate rain over Black Tuesday, but you gotta have a great base beer to make Chocolate Rain.

4.55/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

sampled april 10/2010 as part of our giant bruery tasting. Viggo and ritzkiss provided the brews, so thanks to eric and eric!

750ml bottle topped with black wax.

pours crystal clear deep dark brown but not quite black or opaque. a thin ring of red can be seen as the light passes through around the edges. a thin layer of very fine brown head forms, dropping fairly fast and leaving spotty lace behind.

aromas is great. alcohol. dark and milk chocolate. coffee and espresso. some dark fruit - date and raisin mostly. bourbon and oak. white bread and cracker. biscuit. earthy. bit of smoke.

taste is great. big warming alcohol. dark, milk, and bittersweet chocolate. coffee and espresso. sweet caramel and toffee. raisin, date, and fig. bit of spice from the barrel - cinnamon and coconut. multi-grain bread and biscuit. light roast. big and complex. there's a bit of port-like character in there too. vanilla. bourbon. raw oak.

mouthfeel is excellent. huge chewy body. nice low carbonation level. silky smooth.

drinkability is great. excellent balance, especially impressive for a beer of this size. great balance with the barrel. tons of depth. a great beer.

3.68/5  rDev -17.9%

Had on tap at the release party Nov 27.

Poured a nice jet black with small tan head. A swirl of the glass left a thick residue on the side. Awesome.

Smelled of bourbon and dark fruit. I am almost able to get drunk off inhaling this stuff , its so hot..

One sip and you realize this isnt an ordinary beer. There is plenty of stout style flavors in this ; Coffee, chocolate, bourbon, a bit of a grainy flavor as well, like a chewy nutty taste. However the alc% just bites right through all of it at times when i wish it hadn't. The flavors are just too big all around at this time, an d i wonder how this will age.

Mouthfeel is just about right, as is isnt too thick like bourbon county.

One 4 oz taster and i was feelin pretty buzzed, i couldnt drink a whole bottle alone, or even 2 people probably. It's like drinking liquor with alot more flavor than usual.

Overall I am glad i didnt spend 30$ on a bottle because this to me isn't as good as say The Abyss, and thats 12$.

3.61/5  rDev -19.4%

A big thanks to GregMcQ for sharing a bottle with me and many other BA friends.

A: Pours an opaque black color. A very minimal and bubbly tan head forms. The foam recedes in an second, and leaves no lace. Just an extremely dense liquid.
S: An awesome aroma of toasted, chocolate malt. Brown sugar. Dry wood, oak, and vanilla. Very sweet aromas. Some raisin and dark fruits. Lots of alcohol from the start.
T: Not nearly as complex as the nose. Still, it is very enjoyable. Alcohol hits right up front. Though raisin and other dark fruits come in to play. Powdered chocolate and vanilla. Alcohol is very powerful.
M/D: A full and sticky body. Very low carbonation. Almost under carbonated. A syrupy adhesive sticks to the tongue. Tons of alcohol. Something that needs to be sipped.

I did really enjoy this beer. Though it is hard to rate, and hard to categorize. Similar to Utopias in how extreme the beer is. Overall this is very good, and something that is great to share with friends. Very much worth a try, but it is still not among my favorites of the style.

4.5/5  rDev +0.4%

750 ml bottle, huge thanks to ritzkiss for cracking one. At the epic Bruery tasting.

Pours a surprising clear dark blackish red, some ruby highlights in the edges, medium sized brown head forms, slowly settles to a thin ring, some lace spots stick, very oily looking.

Smell is great, very intense stuff, toffee and chocolate, big bourbon notes, vanilla, oak, brown sugar, raisin, light roast, a touch of smoke, sweet and sugary through the middle, some booze, oats, coconut, pretty crazy.

Taste is awesome too, very rich, sweet at first, toffee and bourbon, vanilla, nice and woody, lightly roast and some chocolate, biscuit, raisin, brown sugar, oats, decent amount of fruity sweetness, port, sweet and lightly spicy in the finish, real nice coconut cream aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is oily and thick, big body, low carbonation, some heat going down but drinks no where near 20%. Some hype? Of course, but in this case it deserves it, this is great stuff. Thanks Eric!!

Thanks Eric!

This pours like motor oil. Really rich dark black, with ruby high-lights on the sides in the light. A large mocha tan head that quickly fades and dies off.

The nose was full of molasses, some chocolate and spice, toasty and smokey, raisins, espresso and cocoa, some real light red fruit coming from the alcohol. This is just a great aroma. Hard to take my nose out of the glass.

The taste follows but with more complex flavours. Super rich, chocolatey, molasses stewed plums, dates and raisins, some vanilla hints in the dark espresso roastyness. There is a cool toasted coconut like taste that swims around in this one. Some smokey notes are also present. This is a little sweet, but still fairly dry for the alcohol content and complexity.

The body is oily, sweet, thick, slimy and moderate carbonation. Not too hot.

An amazing sipping beer. Really really rich and inviting with flavours coming out as it warms. I think this is a winner. It does live up to all the hype. a "Wow" beer.

4.7/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle, big thanks from my man in Cali, Hophead84, who went beyond the call of duty to help me out with some pre-sales of this stuff back when it came out - finally getting to crack a bottle with a few BAs. Cheers mate!

Pours a deep deep black, a thin ring or ruby molasses color around the edges when held to the light, a surprising mocha head builds on the pour but doesn't have much staying power.

My nose picks up toasted brown sugar with almost a hint of cinnamon crunch, rich chocolate, a touch of molasses. Quite sweet, so full.

This is pretty much the ultimate dessert beer and that was how I approached it, fantastic in small amounts but not something you'd drink a whole bottle of. Mega sweet but somehow never getting of hand. Fudgy chocolate, a hint of baker's chocolate, vanilla, something vinous in there, a touch of bourbon, a touch of roast but wouldn't have minded a bit more to counter the sweetness, light booze and warming in the swallow but imagined a whole lot more, somehow they hide it extremely well. Lots of complexity for such a big beer, each sip picking up a few new things - wasn't expecting that.

Thick, rich mouthfeel that coats your whole mouth, rich without being overly syrupy. Again, perhaps a little more dryness in the finish could have aided the balance but it's so luxurious and rich that this is only nitpicking.

A ton of effort and $ went into getting this beer and I thought it might be a touch of a letdown. It wasn't. It's a great beer, perhaps not my all time favorite but certainly in that top echelon.

4.35/5  rDev -2.9%

Big thanks to Eric for opening this one. You went through a lot of crap to get these, but this is a damn fine beer.

Pours just shy of black, with dark brown highlights when held up to the light. A mocha head soon fades to a collar before disappearing altogether. The aroma is neat - chocolate, vanilla, coffee, bourbon, wood. Lots going on, but not quite as intense as expected.

Flavour is complex and liqueur-like in its intensity. Lots of chocolate at first, a fruity sweetness in the middle, and a spicy finish. At times there are notes of coconut, pepper, brown sugar and vanilla. Nice and an ideal dessert beer. My one slight criticism is that I'd like a bit more roastiness, but that's pretty minor. Decadent, full mouthfeel suits this beer to a tee. Drinkability is impressive, and the alcohol really is not anywhere near discernible. The sweetness and richness certainly limit the size of the pour, and I think it worked great over 150ml. I'd probably go close to double that, but no more.

Well worth trying. Kinda hyped, but actually worth it. Definitely a sharer, but a unique experience as far as beer is concerned. Thanks again, Eric!

4.84/5  rDev +8%

Pours opaque, dark with a full finger loose foamy tan head that fades fairly quickly with little lacing. The smell is aggressive, intense and complex. It starts off with a full on cherry vanilla assault over caramel and chocolate character. As it warms up the bourbon aroma becomes more intense, eventually maturing into an intense black licorice. Full flavored, the taste matches up to the nose really well, step for step. Lightly carbonated, the mouth feel is full bodied and creamy; a small sip coats the entire mouth thoroughly. The after taste lingers on and on with and the bourbon licorice and dark fruit notes. The 19.5% ABV is ever present but not distracting. Shared this one with my sons the day of the last snow, after-Easter christening the beginning of the 2010 BBQ season. This one is phenomenally complex. Very similar to my favorite Double Stouts but with a tad extra edge.

4.65/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours a deep brown color with garnet highlights, with almost no head or carbonation. Heavy aroma of Raisinets (and I love Raisinets), along with notes of port wine and a good dose of booze.
Palate is big, rich, and luxurious. Up front, huge notes of dark fruit (fig and prune), maple, and honey. Chocolate, port wine, and a bit of roasted malt follow, with a long, sweet, maple finish.
Body is thick and rich, and just a touch sticky. Holds the flavors really well, the perfect vessel for the ridiculous complexity of this beer. Just phenomenal.

4.48/5  rDev 0%

750 mL 2009 vintage thanks to callmemickey.

Pours thick jet black, completely opaque. Pretty thin mocha head as expected, and beautiful lacing and some "legs." Aroma or bourbon with a little pine and oak. Thick oily mouthfeel. Nice sweetness on the tongue, then a great bitter espresso followed by a huge caramel finish. Lingering taste of chocolate and cocoa powder.

As it warms, you get more booze in the nose and on the tongue as well as some chocolate and cherry in the aroma.

Overall, an exceptionally well made brew and easily one of my favorites of all time.

4.29/5  rDev -4.2%

Had on tap at The Bruery.
It's an Imperial Stout and 19.5%! It poured pitch black, hence the name, and smelled of: vanilla, dark chocolate, malt and bourbon. It tasted like molasses, brown sugar, chocolate malt, prunes, raisins, espresso, slight anise and an oaky bourbon finish, which actually wasn't that strong of an alcohol burn considering it's 19.5%! All in all, it was delicious.

3.64/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Huge thanks to pecorasc for sharing this one with boothbeer and I. Drank this after having CCB Hunahpu's IS. Poured into a tulip glass.

A- Produced a fingers width of flimsy, cream/mocha colored head. The beer looked a little on the thin side as it was being poured into the glass. Reduced to a thin ring throughout consumption.

S- Big molasses aroma upfront. Alcohol notes produce a nutty-like attribute. Has a sweet, sugary chocolate finish. Other than an ever so slight nose burn, the alcohol was pretty well hidden. Very rich and boozy, but without the alcohol heat.

T- Sweet, very sweet, then intensely sweet. Chocolate, bourbon and molasses rolled into one. Vanilla notes come in midway through along with a boozy finish. Once again, the alcohol is pretty well hidden. The problem was that all of the subtleties were masked by an overbearing sweetness that just seemed to grow and grow as the beer was consumed.

M- Tad disappointing. Heavy bodied, but still retained a much thinner feel than expected. Little carbonation.

D- If I was basing this on ABV, this would have received a 5.0. Drinks more like a 9-10% RIS. However, the sweetness was an absolute overkill and that's an understatement. Became nearly unbearable towards the end.

Overall, just flat out too sweet. Couldn't help but think I would contract diabetes after drinking this. There is a depth and complexity there, but for the most part it's masked. Glad I finally got to try it, but won't be seeking it out in the future.

Black Tuesday from The Bruery