Black Tuesday - The Bruery

2013: 18.9% ABV
2014: 19.7% ABV
Reviews: 610 | Hads: 3,281
3.71/5  rDev -16.6%

Thanks Joe for splitting the bottle. Shared 4 ways with the renegades of funk as part of the pre-EBF tasting.

The appearance is incredible. It pours pitch black with a very impressive head formation in the Bruery tulip. It's got a thick consistency and is one finger high at first, and then recedes to a dark brown ring of very fine bubbles. Some film is left on the glass.

The aroma is gigantically malty with some liquor character coming from the bourbon. Rich chocolate with a touch of coffee, vanilla, oak, and alcohol form a very complex and strong nose. This is the strongest smelling beer I've smelled, but not the most boozy.

The first flavor match I thought of was java chip coffee ice cream. Charred wood, chocolate powder, vanilla, marshmallows and bourbon make up a strong and rich flavor. As it warms, the bourbon unfortunately comes through more, but so does molasses, brown sugar, white sugar, and maple. It's complex, interesting, and boozy. After every sip, it made me think more than it made me say "this is a good beer." I can appreciate these complexities and the uniqueness though.

Black Tuesday is the thickest beer I've ever had. The level of carbonation was higher than I expected, but it helped. It felt like I was drinking something with a lot of un-dissolved sugar, as there was obviously a lot of residual sugars in this. This made it a bit hard to drink. It became a chore towards the end, so I left a bit in the glass and went to sleep. It tasted surprisingly similar the next morning, with more of a marshmallow character to it.

I was very interested in trying this beer, and I liked it more than I thought. I'd like to try next years release, which I think will be an improvement over the first attempt. (1,740 characters)

4.28/5  rDev -3.8%

Must say this was as good as advertised...

Beautiful Big Black Pour with an amazing nose!!

Sweet sweet bourbon in this bad boy. From the nose to the taste.. Big and Bold but also extremely smooth. Warming all over !!!

VEry good beer...So glad i was able to try this one! (273 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thick, black pour with no head. Aroma is sweet and of bourbon. Flavor is very balanced for something this big, very sweet and malty but not as hot as I would have expected. Overall a great brew, but I'm not sure it was worth all the hype that surrounded it. (257 characters)

4.37/5  rDev -1.8%

Bottle@Friends place.

A: Dark++ with a wee, brown, head.

S: Molasses, Bourbon, Roasted malt, Ripe fruit. Awesome.

T: Alcohol, Bourbon, Molasses, Dark Chocolate, Ripe fruit, Licorice. Very high residual sweetness.

M: Superthick and creamy with almost no carbonation. Thickest beer i've tried to date.

I thought this beer would be all about the hype but i was wrong. It is a super-thick imperial stout that hides it abv extremely well. I would not want more than 2-3oz of this during one sitting. So damn filling. (516 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was my second time having this nectar and it is great.

Super dark black with a tiny whispy of espresso foam.

Aromas of bozze, chocolate, mollases, bourbon, roasted malts, and slightly green hops.

Taste is more of the same. Booozy roasty heaven.

Mouthfeel is thick and drinkability is great.

This reminds me of WWS that has been aged for 6 years.

Killer stuff. (370 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +1.1%

I believe this one was generously traded by KJGAGNE (please correct me if I am wrong).
Large capped bottle poured into a snifter, divided three way.

Pitch black as expected, deep and thick, impenetrable to light, with about a finger thick dark tan head that holds amazingly well for the ABV, and leaves chunks of lace on its way down.
Aroma is very rich and nice, malty as expected, with layers and layers of sweet goodness. Vanilla, bourbon, chocolate, coffee, cookie dough all play a role.
Compared to the review below, from the same bottle, I have to say I did not notice the "power" that much; I would have actually guessed a 10-12% based on the taste, but the flavor itself is quite rich and powerful. Malty, sweet goodness plays a center role here, with dark chocolate, cofee, vanilla, bourbon, dark fruits and a hint of hoppiness nearly lost in the middle for good measure.
Full bodied and creamy, with an average carbonation, this is one rich beer, but should be shared given the ABV. Drinkability is high all things considered, in this cold Wisconsin night.
Great beer, but IMHO, does not challenge either Dark Lord or Westy 12 for the first place in my cellar. (1,174 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +1.6%

Had this with brdc and stoutsnipas courtesy of the generosity of brdc. Poured from a bottle into a snifter. It pours a thick deep black and forms a 1/2 inch mocha/red head that leaves a beautiful lacing of swirls. It is absolutely opaque when held to the light.

The aroma is fantastic. The first thing that was most prominent was the bourbon and vanilla components and a strong dark malty sweetness. A healthy dose of dark chocolate and an earthy hops scent is also there.

My first comment with the taste was, you can tell this has horsepower. There are hefty doses of dark chocolate, dark fruity sweetness, molasses, and bourbon. The hop character is a bit more citrus than in the nose. Oak and alcohol, as well as vanilla are definitely present but not overwhelming.

The mouthfeel was solid with a full body. The beer goes down quite smooth leaving a velvety texture with a pleasant dryness at the finish. Carbonation was reasonable and alcohol seemed to play a greater role here than in the taste.

This is a phenomenal beer. It is a little hard to drink primarily due to the intensity of flavors, as well as the ABV. It should be shared and could easily overpower just about any food. (1,191 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +6.1%

Capped 750 ml bottle into several glasses on 2/3/10. Big thanks go to Deuane for busting this bad boy out on his 40th birthday as a special treat for us all to try.

The pour on this is blacker than black, with about a ½ finger of angry, burnt, reddish, and just all around mean looking, mocha colored head. The retention is this is actually pretty sturdy for a barrel-aged effort, staying foamy on the sides and then more fizzy across the middle portion of the glass. Swirling this gets a steady rise of froth, which leaves a cascade of sticky foam and brown oils, which ever so slowly creeps down the sides of the glass. The aroma is literally, like a bomb going off in the nose. Cocoa, vanilla, brown sugars, herbal hops, burnt molasses, bitter dark malts, and fried smelling sugars, are all out in full force here. The Bourbon kind of hangs half in and half out here in the nose, mingling effortlessly up front with the other flavors and then showing itself all out in the back. As you can imagine, there is a good bit of heat present that singes the nose hairs a bit but when you're dealing with flavors this huge, it only adds to the general badassness of this dark and powerful bouquet.

The taste is just as large and in charge as the aroma was and contains much of the same feel and flavors. Burned and blackened malts, espresso, green citric tones, extremely sticky and thick notes of chocolate, toffee, smoky molasses, brown sugar, plums, and black currants. Trust me, if it dark and sweet tasting, it's probably in here. Bourbon hangs over the other flavors like a hazy cloud, being prominent but still allowing the largeness of the other flavors to still shine. Understandably, the barrel character seems to get a bit lost in the shuffle at times but I can still pick up a good bit of earthy tannic dryness in the finish. The mouthfeel on this beer feels beyond full, with a massive creaminess to it that literally blows up in your mouth. All of that chewy sweetness and herbal character comes in off of the sides with a gooey slickness. I don't think that any description I can give can properly give the mouthfeel of this thing its due. The ABV on this is beyond warm. It's downright hot at times (with the Bourbon flavor adding some of that) but it's not nearly enough to make you think that this thing is pushing 20%. As a matter of fact, everything else about this beer is so huge and ridiculous, I didn't mind it one bit! Hell, throw some over-the-top alcohol in there as well! The more the merrier!

Well after finally getting to try this, I can definitely see how just how polarizing of a beer this can be. Everything about this (OK, except maybe the look) is just outrageous and I think that one's enjoyment of this will depend on their like of these types of flavors or big Stouts in general, as they are totally taken to the nth degree here. I personally loved every drop of it! I will say that a little bit of this goes a long way. I had about 4-5 oz from the bottle and that was plenty for me. This was definitely a bottle meant to be shared by friends. (3,083 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -6.3%

Big thanks to the generosity of Deuane for sharing this beast. Poured chilled into a 1/2 pint and allowed to gradually warm

A - Big and black appearance -the look is not quite viscous like black chocolate liquid, a ring of light tan is present and a bit of cream revives to a thin skin of a head when swirled. The lace hold on the glass when sips are taken

S - molasses, vanilla and toffee notes are high in the aroma w/ baked brownie and a light cocoa bean and dark roast coffee

M -Moderately full feel, not quite syrupy. The feel is warming,yet not quite boozy w/ sugary feel and mild roasted texture w/ nutty and slightly smooth oily fee The beer seems spicy and dry as it finishes

T - The flavor is intense from the get-go, black currants and cocoa w/ dark brown sugar and slightly charred malt taste w/ woody accents and toasted grain w/ bitter herbal flavor and dark roast coffee-like acidity w/ lots of intense concentrated wort flavor like a dark malty molasses accented roasted elixir, both dry and sweet w/ spicy and alcohol flavors all very forward in the flavor, big beer that lets you know its a bruiser but doesn't knock you out with the first taste. The layers of malts and wood and alcohol all are in sync and leave ripples of full flavor on the tongue even after the taste

D - The drinkability is hard to compare to others of the style, very high quality and enjoyable to savor, yet not something you would want to pick up and drink all that often. For what it is it is highly drinkable. The flavors evolve very well and the abv while evident is still not close to what you might expect 19%+ to be when consuming this (1,641 characters)

4.14/5  rDev -7%

A 750ml bottled shared by Deuane. Poured into my Selin's Grove wine glass. The stout appears a pitch black color akin to dark molasses. Repeated vigorous agitations only managed to produce a thin layer of dark ecru head. Nose and flavors consist of milk and bittersweet chocolate, vanilla, mellow bourbon notes, dark brown sugar/molasses, smoke and a bit of char, deeply caramelized malts, dark cherries, raisins, more chocolate and smoky bourbon. Smells a tad better than it tastes. Some, but certainly no where near enough alcohol heat to lead you to believe this beer is pushing 20%. Full bodied and rich, but rather sweet. The perfect bottle to split between 6 or more people. Thanks again D! (696 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -5.2%

I owe wespatrick a lot for this one. He is a great trader and hopefully he is happy with what I sent him. We all know the story about the beer and the stories about what people thought about it. Reviewed from notes.

The pour looks like used motor oil that came from my old 1980 Oldsmobile. It hits the glass and with a very aggressive pour produces a half finger head. The head has big fat bubbles, the whole thing is colored like a dark leather belt. The alcoholic legs are medium, but leave behind a grainy residue. The head leaves very fast and all that is left is a film over the brew that reminds me of 'The Swamp Thing'. No lacing and no head retention is why there is not a perfect score.

The smell is divine. Moist chocolate cake, bourbon, raisins, plums, earth, Hersheys syrup, and lots of sugar. One of the best smelling beers I have come across.

The taste comes off not very complex at first, but then the sugars give way to other characters. Dark fruits covered in Hershey syrup. Cinnamon with figs and bourbon in very small hints. Absolutely no alcohol in terms of harsh 20% ABV, just the smooth flavors of bourbon and earthy malts. Towards the end of the tasting it came to taste more like liquid chocolate cake. It was so sweet that if I had the choice, I would of paired it with some vanilla ice cream to make it the best dessert ever. The sugars are expected, but I have never had a beer with such an array of chocolate sugar flavors. Liquid cake, fudge, chocolate covered raising, but no bitter cooking cocoa. Nothing really bitter at all, just smooth sweet chocolate. I almost wish the bourbon was a bigger character, but this is a little aged to the point where it is starting the transformation into a different beer. Overall pleased but too sweet.

The mouthfeel has a bit of alcoholic breath, and sits heavy on the palate. It has a grainy aspect that reminds me of over cooked fudge. Its sugars grind in between your teeth and pretty much put the sweet tooth in a head lock. I could of drank the whole bottle easily, but would of felt like I had just finished a whole batch of fudge by myself. A dessert beer at its best.

The drinkability is good and very enjoyable. It is the perfect beer to share with someone for the third person that tasted this enjoyed it. She was a non beeradvocate that seems to like craft beer. She tasted it and very much enjoyed it. I think that this is the creme of the crop for some, and just okay for others. I can see why this got so much praise, because it does deserve it. It is extremely sweet and rich and decadent. It is a beer you pair with the finest dessert with the best of friends. I enjoyed it, but it is far from my favorite of the style.

(2,717 characters)

Thanks go out to moosington for the opportunity. Bottle poured into my Stone RIS tulip. This one was consumed after a long day of moving. High expectations.

A: Mostly black, but with reddish hues around the edges. The pour dropped a thin rim of foam that quickly dissapeared, and left no lace. However, it did leaves some nice legs, similer to a red wine.

A: I get the burbon straight away, followed by a vanilla, caramelly, sweetness. I also get a tartness from dried fruit, mainly prunes, raisins, and figs. A healthy amount of molasses is also present.

T: This is where the brew falls apart for me. The burbon is overpowering, then it is followed by an overbearing sweetness. The person I shared the bottle with described it as burbon soaked prunes. And I would have to agree. I think there is just way too much going on here. I can appriciate the complexity, but the flavors do not meld well. I get prunes, raisin, figs, vanilla, caramel, and molasses. Next to no hop presence. It finishes with a warming as it goes down the throat.

M: Heavy body, but slick and oily. There is very little carbonation, so the beer seems to slip around the palate.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is extremely low. The two of us had a rough time finishing the bottle. Overall I was very dissapointed with BT, I thought it was kinda a mess. Although I am happy I got to try this, I will not be seeking it in the future. Skal.

Re-review: 12/9/2011
Vintage 2011. Although I have changed my mind about this beer, I still don't believe it is a world class brew. The body is too light for the ABV, and it is very sweet and very boozy. It MUST be served at room temp! The flavors and nuances of the beer come out much better at 55-65 degrees. All in all, this is a huge beer, and one that I am glad I revisited. (1,805 characters)

4.23/5  rDev -4.9%

Split with 3 other people courtesy of MrFootstones.

Aroma- tobacco, chocolate, clean alchohol, earthy dirt, mineral, vanilla, molasses, oak, wood, roasted/charred malt. whiskey.

App - rich dark brown foam. creamy. black with mahogany edge. good retention. legs.

Taste- roasty, chocolate. caramel, lots of specialty malt and unfermentables. slightly funky off malt complexity - too many malts. delicious layered flavor. licorice. brown sugar. hops are balanced and not distinct. very sweet but also intense overall.

Mouthfeel- full, sweet and cloying if drank too fast. low fine carb. lots of clean alcohol- it is there but not harsh. syrup. could be better but great for a huge beer.

Overall- similiar to Bourbon County Stout but not as good. I would prefer an Abyss or BCS over this, but it is very good. The alcohol is strong so a 6 oz pour is enough. (858 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

The headliner of our winter tasting tonight. First off, large props to BevmoIan and Errantnight for the hookup of Black Tuesday bottles and being reasonable traders of this highly sought after beer. Thanks to you both.

A - Dark pour with a khaki head that settles down.

S - A virtual whose who of smells greet you afer a pour into a snifter. Everything that you can imagine, toffee, caramel, candy sugar, chocolate, coffee, and smoke. The only reason it is not a 5 is that the booze is fairly apparent. I would equate this to Darkness or Dark Lord *2 with a strong boozy smell.

T - Given that it tops out near 20%, I have to give the mad scientiests mad props for this beer. It certainly has the booze behind it, but it is 20% for crying out loud. Actually, very pleasant given the ABV which is a real marvel to the craft of this beer. The booze is there, but it is still great.

M - Slick, chewy, oily and very satisfying.

D - You can split one of these 6 ways and still get a good experience. Try to drink this one by yourself and you will make a fool of yourself. You just can't have more than 4-5 ounces of this and get away with it.

It is a great beer and worthy of the acclaim. Other than the over the top boozy profile, it is REALLY good. Thanks to the above mentioned again for the hook-up. (1,303 characters)

4.35/5  rDev -2.2%

Almost 20% abv? Amazing - ususally something that big turns out to be a fiery mess, but here we have a surprisingly smooth big beer. Dense and a bit sweet, with caramel and brown sugar notes, overlapping intense roasted malts. This would be the ideal fireside sipper. (267 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Split a 750mL 4 ways (Thanks MrFootstones) 1/22/2010. Poured into a tulip glass.

Ar: Alcohol, sweet, dark caramel, chocolate, roast, strong vanilla, oak, very sweet and smooth aroma, brown malt. similar to GI BCS, Great full malt profile, molasses, earth, whiskey character increases with warmth

Ap: Black with mahogany around the edges, thick smooth dark tan head, very good retention, legs

F: Chocolate brown malt, light roast, syrupy sweet, alcohol very apparent in nostrils, molasses, dark caramel, whiskey spice, dried fruit, complex and full taste without being muddled, caramelized nuts, light fennel/anise, smoke hints at the end of the taste

M: clean but very present alcohol,low/medium carbonation, sticky and sweet, rich

O: Alcohol is strong but good, thick viscous and syrupy, Similar to the bourbon county stout (which i think is a bit better), a 6 oz pour was perfect, much more and it would have been difficult to finish, sweetness is balanced an unobtrusive, overall a great beer (1,000 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +9.4%

I love my brother...thanks again, pwoods, for sharing this one with me.

Pours deepest chocolate brown, pretty much black. It is completely opaque - absolutely zero visibility in this beer. Not much head to speak of, just a few cocoa-colored spots suspended atop the liquid and a soft ring of foam that hugs the sides of the glass and leaves behind little watery spots of lace.

Amazingly delicious aroma from this beer. The creamy bitterness of dark chocolate mingles with sweet cream. The bourbon is perfectly balanced in this beer - not masking the rest of the aromas of the beer while not assuming a background role. All the aspects of the aging are there in the nose, too - oak, vanilla, char - it smells incredible.

Wow. If the aroma didn't convince me, the taste of this beer has guaranteed that it lives up to the hype. What a delicious and complex beer. The chocolate is intensely sweet - almost too sweet - and slightly bitter. There is a huge vanilla presence in this beer to a degree I haven't experienced with barrel-aged imperial stouts before. The creaminess is thick and full, and it compliments the bourbon nicely. It is sweet and nutty, somewhat like toffee. While the bourbon is present throughout the whole drink, it is especially pleasing in the aftertaste where the heat from the alcohol really presents itself and the bourbon lingers with a fruity, dark-cherry-like sweetness. Feel is creamy, well-carbonated and mouthfilling. It is impressively smooth with a nice bubbly finish. It leaves behind a slight stickiness on the palate and hot, drying alcohols of vapor in the mouth. The beer immediately warms the chest, and it continues to do so throughout the drink. A very pleasing experience in my opinion.

Drinkability isn't exactly huge for any beer of this style, but this one especially hides its high (crazy high) ABV well. The alcohol feel and taste is definitely present, but it is so well-balanced by the full flavors and full feel of the beer that it goes down much too easily. (2,015 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +10.6%

Sampled this courtesy of RJ (Grabbin2nd) and Richie (rhertan) at the central coast BA gathering last night. Thanks a ton guys! Following review written by Wiseman Nick, but includes thoughts from Wiseman Justin.

Poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Deep, dark brown, creamy head emerges from a pitch black body. Head descends to a bubbly crescent, and remains like that for the rest of the session. Looks super thick. A swirl coats the walls of the glass in oily residue, occasionally leaving a dab of lacing. N: 4.25; J: 4.5

Smell: Chocolate fudge, black licorice, roasted malt, dark chocolate, rose petals, rum, barbecue sauce, and a touch of bourbon to finish things off. There's much more in there too. All of the BAs sat around smelling this beer for a good ten minutes before even tasting it. Incredibly complex, rich, and harmonious. Alcohol is hidden very well. In Justin's mind, the nose on Black Tuesday is right up there with Firestone Eleven (our favorite smelling beer). I agree wholeheartedly. Sublime. N: 5.0; J: 5.0

Taste: Brownies, molasses, candy, chocolate frosting; tons of residual sugars. Not cloying though, not at all. Alcohol comes through in a sharp finish, but it doesn't taste anywhere near 19.5%. Vanilla and bourbon make their presence known as well, but in a more subtle manner. Chocolate and sweets are the lead players in this stout. Justin was stunned, and related this experience to the epiphanies felt by the children in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory." N: 5.0; J: 5.0

Mouthfeel: Thick, syrupy, rich, and warm. Finishes sticky and dry. Kind of gritty, but amazingly smooth given the ABV and body. Not at all harsh. Very well done. N: 4.5; J: 5.0

Drinkability: We both agreed that we could drink this all day long. Unbelievably drinkable for such a big beer. Delicious, complex, I can't say enough. This is the best beer both of us have ever had. N: 5.0; J: 5.0

Wiseman Nick: A+ (4.80)
Wiseman Justin: A+ (4.90) (1,959 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +7.2%

What a rare treat it was to open this up.

It pours out a thin motor oil, it doesn't have the thickness you see in Dark Lord. A thin brown head tops off the top but fades away quickly. No lacing but it does leave a slight brown film on the glass. The bourbon aroma smacks you hard in the face even from a distance. There is also a dark fruit coming out with the chocolate. Almost no roast aroma. At first sip this beer tastes just like it smells. So well balanced. Bourbon, chocolate and a slight apple tart. Once your mouth is coated with that alcohol you can really get into this beer and see that it's just amazing. The year in the barrel has made this incredibly smooth. Which makes it one of the most drinkable Imperial Stouts I've had. The 19.5% ABV if correct, is hidden very well. One thing that I'm missing in this is the coffee or the roasted malts. (859 characters)

4.42/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Finally cracked open a bottle to share with a friend last night. Too bad this isn't easier to get a hold of.
A: Pitch black and thick. Nice head retention with the brown frothy head.
S: This is really the highlight of this beer. If you like beers like Firestone Walker 12 or SA Utopias, this beer will be a treat. The aroma is full of bourbon, vanilla, chocolate, fig, and molasses.
T: Not quite as good as the aroma, but still impressive. I read a review where someone mentioned chocolate cake, and that is exactly what I got. There is also a strong bourbon presence here as well.
M: Thick and sweet. Covers the tongue.
D: A bit too boozy and sweet to easily drink a ton. Still a great beer. Damn did it hit me hard after a full glass. I would drink this 6oz at a time. (773 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to beerad and kenoftheyear for splitting a bottle last night. Served in a tulip.

Motor oil pour yielding some bubbles and a quickly fading head. There's a good film as well.

Huge bourbon presence in the sniffer. Chocolate syrup, dark fruit a hint of wood. Bourbon is the stand out so far though.

Tastes exactly like bourbony cake batter! Extremely sweet and velvety. Brownies covered in Hershey's syrup and sugar. Again, this is VERY sweet! I can feel cavities forming.

There's no chance this is 19%, but there's also no way I could polish off the whole bottle by myself either. It's a very unique, dessert-forward RIS that should do some interesting things the longer it sits in the bottle. Good stuff! (714 characters)

4.43/5  rDev -0.4%

A: Black as night with a barely there ring of mahogany nighlight when tilted and held to the light. Brown head reduces to a thin foam cap. Sexy ass legs with brown bubbles

S: Bourbon, vanilla, roast, booze, oak, chocolate, coconut. Reminds me a bit of GI BCS and the Firestone Walker anniversary beers. Licorice and dried figs.

T: Sweeet, bourbon, roast and musty wet oak. Again I am reminded of BCS. Booze finally becomes apparent as it gets to room temp. Also huge dark fruit as it gets warm.

M: Rich and velvety, nice appropriate carbonation. Oily and slick.

D: I split this beer with three other people and the 6 ounce pour was perfect.
This was never a chore but it was quite intense. (694 characters)

4.04/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Footbalm brought this along with a plethora of rare beers to the weekend RIS tasting... Thanks Eric.. Classy.

No real head as expected.. but it pours like motor oil.. coats the glass with every swirl.

Nose is thick with every element pronounced yet not very melded... dark chocolate syrup.. quite alot of bourbon.. raisins and dark cherries.... oaky in later pours.

Flavor is immediately reminiscent of Bourbon County but with alot more sweetness... boozy brownie batter .. vanilla sugar.. bits of coffee are drowned out by dark sweet fruits drenched in chocolate sauce.. Full bodied with a nice carbonation, but each sip makes me wanna go brush my teeth.. too cloying for my tastes.

Eric.. I appreciate the opportunity ... We had plenty of BT in Denver this year, and while I think it is very interesting, I still view it as more of a novelty.. That said, I REALLY want a bottle or two to hang on to for a few years and see how it melds... it seems like a bit of a mess right now.

3.5/4.5/4/4.5/3.5 (1,004 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -12.4%

Bottled at The Bruery this last weekend, thanks to a certain photo shoot that went down on friday. Meant to get some more during the initiation party the next day, but I was having too good of a time drinking Two Dirty Hookers in the main room to make it over to the special pour room. Oh, well, the several ounces on friday was more than enough of this beast. Very thick black with a small head and leaves lots of syrupy coating on the cup. Massively intense aroma of chocolate and a shit ton of bourbon without the alcohol sharpness. A touch of oak, but mainly sweet bourbon and chocolate. Hugely thick and rich flavor. Very sweet and chocolate-bourbon flavored on the front on the tongue, but with a toasty and bitter roasty finish that manages a surprising balance. In the initial sip you don't really detect much alcohol, but it really comes out in the finish once it eats through the residual sugar on your tongue. Insanely thick and mouth coating in an almost gross way to be honest. An exceptional beer to be sure, but I can't really decide if I would ever be interested in it beyond a two-ounce sample every now and again. Total props to The Bruery for making a beer this tasty and envelope-pushing, but it really fills a tiny niche in the beer world. (1,260 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +7.9%

Had 2 tastes at the Reserve Society Event. Poured into wine tasting glass.

A- Great black, dark brown edge color with a nice tan head that dissappears quicly. The body on this thing is just awesome, leaves a thick coating on the glass.

S- HEAVY. Sweet vanilla bourbon with nice chocolate malts, just a great beer!!!

T- Sweet sugar, chocolate, and some nice candied fruits, molasses, some very nice anise flavors. Then it begins to move to some smooth Oaky vanilla bourbon flavors, slight alcohol finish.

M- HUGE, medium/light carbonation, smooth creamy mouthfeel. Couldn't tell it was 19.5% alcohol.

D- Great but I don't think I could drink too much of this stuff, it's a meal in a bottle.

All in all I need to acquire more of this beer, like copius amounts of it, because this is just the best beer I have ever had. Thanks Patrick and The Bruery gang. (858 characters)

Black Tuesday from The Bruery