Black Tuesday - The Bruery

2014: 19.7% ABV
2015: 19.9% ABV
Reviews: 627 | Hads: 3,400
4.29/5  rDev -4%

Had on tap at The Bruery.
It's an Imperial Stout and 19.5%! It poured pitch black, hence the name, and smelled of: vanilla, dark chocolate, malt and bourbon. It tasted like molasses, brown sugar, chocolate malt, prunes, raisins, espresso, slight anise and an oaky bourbon finish, which actually wasn't that strong of an alcohol burn considering it's 19.5%! All in all, it was delicious.

3.64/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Huge thanks to pecorasc for sharing this one with boothbeer and I. Drank this after having CCB Hunahpu's IS. Poured into a tulip glass.

A- Produced a fingers width of flimsy, cream/mocha colored head. The beer looked a little on the thin side as it was being poured into the glass. Reduced to a thin ring throughout consumption.

S- Big molasses aroma upfront. Alcohol notes produce a nutty-like attribute. Has a sweet, sugary chocolate finish. Other than an ever so slight nose burn, the alcohol was pretty well hidden. Very rich and boozy, but without the alcohol heat.

T- Sweet, very sweet, then intensely sweet. Chocolate, bourbon and molasses rolled into one. Vanilla notes come in midway through along with a boozy finish. Once again, the alcohol is pretty well hidden. The problem was that all of the subtleties were masked by an overbearing sweetness that just seemed to grow and grow as the beer was consumed.

M- Tad disappointing. Heavy bodied, but still retained a much thinner feel than expected. Little carbonation.

D- If I was basing this on ABV, this would have received a 5.0. Drinks more like a 9-10% RIS. However, the sweetness was an absolute overkill and that's an understatement. Became nearly unbearable towards the end.

Overall, just flat out too sweet. Couldn't help but think I would contract diabetes after drinking this. There is a depth and complexity there, but for the most part it's masked. Glad I finally got to try it, but won't be seeking it out in the future.

4.8/5  rDev +7.4%

Thanks to Kaiser81 for opening this at the recent tasting he hosted on 2/27. This was the first beer opened among many opened that night, so the notes and palate were fresh.

Poured into my Delirium Tremens snifter glass

A - Thick, pitch black, syrupy with a small layer of mocha bubbles. Lacing doesn't stick to the glass. Just by looking at it, you know it's going to be big and heavy.

S - Chocolate and bourbon dominate. And the chocolate is extensive...there's some cocoa powder, milk, and lots of dark chocolate. It's very rich, like liquid fudge and bourbon mixed. There is just a little bit of an alcohol smell on the back end. I think I served it too cold, as I've had a lot of other smells other times when it was a bit warmer.

T - Wow!! Bourbon notes mixed with dark chocolates, like truffles. There is just a bit of booze after it warms up, and maple comes out as well. Deliciousness! Still makes my knees weak every time I taste it.

M - heavy body mixed with carbonation. I don't think you can expect much more from a beer like this.

D - How is 18.5% mixed into a beer this good and drinkable? It's truly amazing, and I wish I could drink this all the time.

This is the third time I've had it, and it still is just as awesome as if I had waited 4 hours in line to get my bottle allotment.

4.76/5  rDev +6.5%

I've been graced with this brew 4 times, 3 on tap and once with a bottle split 6 ways. Black as night with the everlasting legs. The only flaw of BT is the smell of strong booze. The flavors are thick molasses, burnt malts, dark chocolate, and smooth bourbon. Mouthfeel is bar none the thickest beer I've drunk. WWS, BCS, and Rasputin XII aren't even close. Light carbonation. Even my alcohol aversion is forgotten making me want to come back for more.

The two aspects that really make this beer shine are perfect mouthfeel and powerful flavor, which some will claim is cloying. Non beer drinkers who sampled this also really enjoyed it.

3.18/5  rDev -28.9%

Have had this on two occasions and just wasn't that impressed. Appearance was what you would expect for this type of beer. Felt it was better served at cellar temperature. Seemed to be drinkable at this temp. As it warmed the malty sweetness really made this hard to finish. Not overly heavy on the bourbon. Was definiely a sipper. First bottle was shared with about 8 people with each getting about 4-5 ozs. And all felt that was a large enough sample. Bottle two wa sshared with 4 other people . With half the bottle left unfinished.

3.64/5  rDev -18.6%

*Re-reviewed on 7/30/09*

The taste has developed much more and it's drinking wonderful now. Not as cloyingly sweet, which had turned me off. I didn't really find any flavor from the oak though. The nose has a huge soy sauce aroma too. I'm giving a lower rating to the smell and bigger rating to the taste.

*Original Review*

Pitch black liquid with a dark tan head. Smells like chocolate, sweet malt, bourbon creeping in, vanilla, oak.

Taste is very sweet. Intense malt. Bourbon isn't as prominent in the flavor profile as expected. Oak is there but backlashed by the overall sweetness. Alcohol is amazingly well hidden behind this barrier of sugary liquid. Not much of a surprise.

4.52/5  rDev +1.1%

Pitch black color with a small dark tan head which fades quickly. Smells of bourbon, raisins, figs, oak, vanilla, chocolate syrup and molasses. A lot going on with this one. Very complex.

The taste surprises me. I thought there would be a lot of alcohol heat in this beer, but there is not. I can taste the raisins, chocolate syrup , figs, molasses, and vanilla, but the oak and the alcohol are lighter than I thought they would be. Quite good. This beer has more chocolate flavor than any I have had before.

This beer is viscous, full bodied, but also smooth, with low carbonation. This is quite an experience. Quite drinkable, but at 19.5%, I would not want to drink a lot of this in one sitting.

4.58/5  rDev +2.5%

mike kim is the man for sharing this at woodshop. we were blessed with the opportunity to share this bottle with some really wonderful people. i don't know if he was serious about our presence being the final reason for opening this bottle, but, goddammit i am honored.
the great black tuesday! as it hits the glass it covers everything like napalm, scorching its way up the angled chalice. the glass even feels heavier than it should with this weight in it. it is darker than the 6 eyes of cerberus. it reaks of dark roast, chocolate candy, molasses, dark fruits, and anger. i have never smelled such a terrifying creature. it takes time, but, trembling, i bring the glass to my lips and drink. it is one of those few beers that you don't even want to swallow for at least a minute. it must coat everything, which it quickly and angrily obliges. the malts are outstanding, sweet and dominating. it is not of this world. for 19.5%, there is so little alcohol flavor. what a brilliant job brewing this beer by the guys at the bruery, the only brewery we were unable to hit that we really wanted to on the 3 week grand tour.
the only way to finish this beer, with just a half ounce left, and a black sheen all over it, is by a few ounces of swirling with pliny the elder. this is the life we were born to lead.

4.43/5  rDev -0.9%

Motor oil black pour with a loose brown head. The aroma is heavily charred oak and smoky bourbon with notes of vanilla bean, 100% cacao chocolate and boozy dark fruit. The begins with bitter dark espresso and blends to bourbon, smoke, and oak. It finishes with lingering dark chocolate, a dark fruit liquor, and a hint of amaretto. The FULL body is oily feeling with a moderate carbonation level and a big alcohol burn.

4.85/5  rDev +8.5%

a lot of this will probably overlap with beavers below. we enjoyed this one yesterday. a lot.

deep deep black all the way to the edges with a quarter inch head that is darker than tan, nearing brown. incredible (did not end up being the darkest though). the head regenerates wonderfully with just a swirl. and! this is the first time i can say ive appreciated the legs of a beer. that was a fun discovery. not as excessive/impressive as other high alcohol beverages, but there, and pretty, and from a beer.

smell is full of sweetness. milky caramel, bourbon and chocolate. there is a hint of soy sauce for me. i believe beavers said salty in that respect. the heat is more perceptible in the smell than the taste.

sweet everything. man. chocolate, bourbon, cake, cherry tootsie pop when the cherry is mostly gone and its all tootsie roll, molasses minus the tanginess. but then all this sweetness is balanced with a nearly hidden roastiness, moderate (incredible for 19.5%) alcohol, and a bit of a vinous characteristic. at the end of the glass, the last few drops (not even last sip, but last drops) are huge on the molasses (tanginess evident), and booze. that the alcohol waited that long to wake up is phenomenal.

Edit 1: forgot to mention that we found these flavors to lie on a gradient. every flavor blended into the next, there wasnt huge bourbon here, huge chocolate there. it was all just a subtle gradation from one flavor to the next. super duper.

creamy and poofy with carbonation playing its part to keep it fluffy. ive used creamy to describe beers before, but this one makes me think of heavy cream with just the right amount of carbonation to remove most of it from my tongue. wow.

drinkability is insane. it is so easy to forget this is a near-20% abv beer. 20% alcohol, 100% delicious. it is incredibly balanced, generously full of flavor, and delightful in every aspect.

Edit 2: again, forgot to mention that after we had finished our glasses, we were ready to drink anything. this beer wasnt overwhelming in any negative way. we moved on to other beers with no problem, and wouldnt have hesitated to drink more of this one if there was another open bottle in front of us. mmm!!

4.56/5  rDev +2%

Thanks to Ineedabeerhere for opening this bottle last weekend!

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a Deschutes tulip glass. Obviously, this is the 20 malts version.

A: This is the best feature of this beer. Lively, flowy, gracious head! For such a high ABV, this is impressive (compared to the likes of BCS, BA BORIS, etc.). Bubbles tantalize your eyes as they sit atop the beer.

S: Bourbon, vanilla, oak, maple, wood, and black cherries. Honestly, I also got hints of a mulled wine aroma too.

T: Sweet, sweet, sweet molasses. Just kidding. This is the sweetest/sugariest beer I have ever had though (thank you 20 malts!). Bourbon in the background and leaves a pleasant vanilla taste as it goes down.

M: This is the best feature of this beer. Like an emulsion and warming against the inside of the mouth when swished around. Haagen Daaz milkshake anyone?

D: This is the best feature of this beer. For 19.5% ABV, this stuff goes down real easy. We split this bottle 4 ways and had no problem finishing our glasses within an hour or two (of course because you want to savor it!).

Did you notice I wrote "This is the best feature of this beer" too many times? Yeah, that's because this beer is awesome! Very appreciative for getting to try this.

4.68/5  rDev +4.7%

Big thanks to jrallen24 for this beautiful bottle.

750ml split three ways. Snifter style.

Pours jet black with an oily and creamy dark brown head [note: I said that this was perhaps the darkest head I've seen...but was beaten later in the night by Marshall Zhukovs]. Looks like old motor oil. Head dies down to a blanket covering, but restores easily with a swirl.

Rich and decadent aroma of caramel, sweet dark chocolate, and ___ . Bourbon notes are present but are definitely secondary behind the sweet candied flavors. Fusel alcohol notes are also unsurprising existent and while they significantly increase as it warms, they are definitely in the back.

Taste is very sweet upfront (chocolate syrup, molasses, and caramelized sugars) and this sugary sweetness transitions seamlessly into sweet bourbon flavor and builds from there. The bouron barrel gives off nice earthy flavors of toasted wood, vanilla bean, and licorice. This really isn't an overly roasty RIS, and I don't really get coffee...and it doesn't bother me one bit. The alcohol is AMAZINGLY well hidden and the barrel perfectly integrated.

The mouthfeel is syrupy and viscous, and while I thought it would be too much, it is not where near cloying for me. This beer is huge in every way possible but is extremely drinkable considering the 19.5%. We all thought that it tasted much more like a 10% beer.

4.01/5  rDev -10.3%

We split a bottle at Cambridge Commons at the post EBF lunch. Usual suspects avryle and drseamus. Before the review let it be said we had 6 people to split the bottle and we probably could have used another person or two.

A: It is black. That really does not do it justice though. This is the blackest beer that I have ever seen. The pour was in slow motion at it was really sticking to the snifters. More head than I thought would be on this beer. Super deep mocha/ coffee colored. No lacing.

S: Nothing like bourbon at noon on a Sunday. The bourbon really is overpowering. You get booze behind that. A little bit of burnt espresso beans and just a touch of chocolate after it had been sitting in my glass for about 30 min.

T: Bourbon again. This is one of the most over the top bourbon tastes in a beer ever. The heat and the sweetness catch up as well. There is not enough roast bitterness to balance it out. It is a one dimensional beer but it was an enjoyable experience.

M: Super thick. Just coated everything on the way down. The heat is part of the mouthfeel big time. You can actually feel this beer hit your stomach.

D: I am torn. It is a singular effort but it is not that drinkable a beer. We split the 750 6 ways and people had a hard time finishing their glasses. Granted we were in a restaurant but this beer probably needs quite a few friends and many hours with no one driving afterwards. I would drink it again though.

4.8/5  rDev +7.4%

The beer pours a pitch black color with a 1/4" brown head that fades to lacing. The aroma is out of this world. It's warm and dark with excellent bourbon barrel character. The black and roasted malts are present and accounted for. The taste is perfect in my opinion. It's a strong black, earthy, roasted beer with a thick rich flavor that goes down warm and finishes the same with a nice bourbon character. The bourbon really compliments the overall experience. The mouthfeel is exceptional. It is a full bodied beer with near perfect carbonation. This is my new favorite beer in the world. It has everything I'm looking for in a drinking experience.

4.53/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

20 malts! Wow. I was annoyed with all the hype surrounding this beer but given the opportunity to try it, I was seriously blown away by it and I'm really glad I got the opportunity.

Beer is black (shocking) and forms a thin brown head that leaves some lacing on the glass. Carbonation is moderate to low. When I swirl the beer it coats the glass and leaves legs on the walls of the glass like a fine wine would do.

This is a seriously big beer, I was expecting alcohol in the nose but no...it smells sweet and there's some bourbon smell in there but no straight alcohol. I can pick up some roast as well. Really nicely balanced, seriously.

Beer is sweet up front but has a good body to it, medium. I'm definitely not drinking rubbing alcohol but I'm also not chewing it. There is some bitterness in the back but again, the alcohol is completely masked. I'm knocking it down on drinkability because I honestly don't think I could drink a lot of it, its builds on me in both sweetness and bitterness but its a great beer. Think Bourbon County on steriods.

3.91/5  rDev -12.5%

Popped a bottle of this at pre ebf training with a few fellow BA's

A-black. oil. not too much of a head, but more than i expected for a 19.5% abv beer

S-bourbon overpowering, as per usual with the style. lots of chocolatey notes as well, although much harder to notice than i wouldve liked because of all of the bourbon

T-WAY too much sugar IMO, honestly kinda burned my throat on the way down--but not because of it being too hot, because it was just so sweet/rich. also huge amounts of chocolate again, really nice chocolate flavor, not AS bourbon-forward as the smell would have made me think

M-thick, thick, thick. like a freakin smoothie-but in a good way.

D-for being 19.5%, i guess one could say its very drinkable, but at the same time i had trouble getting down my glass because of the sugary burning aspect of it-just way too rich and sugary for me.

Overall it's a good beer, pretty impressive, but nowhere near the "god" of all beers like people say. Wouldn't go out of my way to have it again, happy i got a chance to try it though.

4.12/5  rDev -7.8%

This is a true monster of a beer. The full brunt of the 19.5% ABV and strong bourbon character pack a hell of a one-two punch.

It pours from the bottle like oil from the drain plug on my car when I've gone 15k miles without a change...dark and thick. It looks truly syrupy in the glass and they'll probably need a chisel to clean the glass fully.

The bourbon aroma is intense as it wafts out of the glass and up your nose to rip the hairs out by the root. It is so overpowering and imposing that I can't detect anything else in there.

I've had to put myself on a tongue transplant waiting list thanks to this beer. Right before it killed my last tastebud I recall a ton of bourbon with copius amounts of chocolate and coffee. They were however not copius enough to consider ganging up on the bourbon in an attempt to get some foreground action. The bourbon rules this beer with an iron fist and dissent will not be tolerated.

The mouthfeel is surprisingly light for the intensity of the flavor and syrupy look. I think the bourbon must have scared the body away. In place of the body he has appointed his son, the esteemed Mr. Bourbon Burn, as Vice Chancellor of Black Tuesdayville.

All things considered, this is not a very drinkable beer but under threat of violence from the bourbon I have been instructed to wrap up this review on a positive note. It actually is pretty damn good in small doses but drinking a bottle would put a man six feet under.

3.71/5  rDev -17%

Thanks Joe for splitting the bottle. Shared 4 ways with the renegades of funk as part of the pre-EBF tasting.

The appearance is incredible. It pours pitch black with a very impressive head formation in the Bruery tulip. It's got a thick consistency and is one finger high at first, and then recedes to a dark brown ring of very fine bubbles. Some film is left on the glass.

The aroma is gigantically malty with some liquor character coming from the bourbon. Rich chocolate with a touch of coffee, vanilla, oak, and alcohol form a very complex and strong nose. This is the strongest smelling beer I've smelled, but not the most boozy.

The first flavor match I thought of was java chip coffee ice cream. Charred wood, chocolate powder, vanilla, marshmallows and bourbon make up a strong and rich flavor. As it warms, the bourbon unfortunately comes through more, but so does molasses, brown sugar, white sugar, and maple. It's complex, interesting, and boozy. After every sip, it made me think more than it made me say "this is a good beer." I can appreciate these complexities and the uniqueness though.

Black Tuesday is the thickest beer I've ever had. The level of carbonation was higher than I expected, but it helped. It felt like I was drinking something with a lot of un-dissolved sugar, as there was obviously a lot of residual sugars in this. This made it a bit hard to drink. It became a chore towards the end, so I left a bit in the glass and went to sleep. It tasted surprisingly similar the next morning, with more of a marshmallow character to it.

I was very interested in trying this beer, and I liked it more than I thought. I'd like to try next years release, which I think will be an improvement over the first attempt.

4.28/5  rDev -4.3%

Must say this was as good as advertised...

Beautiful Big Black Pour with an amazing nose!!

Sweet sweet bourbon in this bad boy. From the nose to the taste.. Big and Bold but also extremely smooth. Warming all over !!!

VEry good beer...So glad i was able to try this one!

4.17/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thick, black pour with no head. Aroma is sweet and of bourbon. Flavor is very balanced for something this big, very sweet and malty but not as hot as I would have expected. Overall a great brew, but I'm not sure it was worth all the hype that surrounded it.

4.37/5  rDev -2.2%

Bottle@Friends place.

A: Dark++ with a wee, brown, head.

S: Molasses, Bourbon, Roasted malt, Ripe fruit. Awesome.

T: Alcohol, Bourbon, Molasses, Dark Chocolate, Ripe fruit, Licorice. Very high residual sweetness.

M: Superthick and creamy with almost no carbonation. Thickest beer i've tried to date.

I thought this beer would be all about the hype but i was wrong. It is a super-thick imperial stout that hides it abv extremely well. I would not want more than 2-3oz of this during one sitting. So damn filling.

4.7/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was my second time having this nectar and it is great.

Super dark black with a tiny whispy of espresso foam.

Aromas of bozze, chocolate, mollases, bourbon, roasted malts, and slightly green hops.

Taste is more of the same. Booozy roasty heaven.

Mouthfeel is thick and drinkability is great.

This reminds me of WWS that has been aged for 6 years.

Killer stuff.

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

I believe this one was generously traded by KJGAGNE (please correct me if I am wrong).
Large capped bottle poured into a snifter, divided three way.

Pitch black as expected, deep and thick, impenetrable to light, with about a finger thick dark tan head that holds amazingly well for the ABV, and leaves chunks of lace on its way down.
Aroma is very rich and nice, malty as expected, with layers and layers of sweet goodness. Vanilla, bourbon, chocolate, coffee, cookie dough all play a role.
Compared to the review below, from the same bottle, I have to say I did not notice the "power" that much; I would have actually guessed a 10-12% based on the taste, but the flavor itself is quite rich and powerful. Malty, sweet goodness plays a center role here, with dark chocolate, cofee, vanilla, bourbon, dark fruits and a hint of hoppiness nearly lost in the middle for good measure.
Full bodied and creamy, with an average carbonation, this is one rich beer, but should be shared given the ABV. Drinkability is high all things considered, in this cold Wisconsin night.
Great beer, but IMHO, does not challenge either Dark Lord or Westy 12 for the first place in my cellar.

4.52/5  rDev +1.1%

Had this with brdc and stoutsnipas courtesy of the generosity of brdc. Poured from a bottle into a snifter. It pours a thick deep black and forms a 1/2 inch mocha/red head that leaves a beautiful lacing of swirls. It is absolutely opaque when held to the light.

The aroma is fantastic. The first thing that was most prominent was the bourbon and vanilla components and a strong dark malty sweetness. A healthy dose of dark chocolate and an earthy hops scent is also there.

My first comment with the taste was, you can tell this has horsepower. There are hefty doses of dark chocolate, dark fruity sweetness, molasses, and bourbon. The hop character is a bit more citrus than in the nose. Oak and alcohol, as well as vanilla are definitely present but not overwhelming.

The mouthfeel was solid with a full body. The beer goes down quite smooth leaving a velvety texture with a pleasant dryness at the finish. Carbonation was reasonable and alcohol seemed to play a greater role here than in the taste.

This is a phenomenal beer. It is a little hard to drink primarily due to the intensity of flavors, as well as the ABV. It should be shared and could easily overpower just about any food.

4.72/5  rDev +5.6%

Capped 750 ml bottle into several glasses on 2/3/10. Big thanks go to Deuane for busting this bad boy out on his 40th birthday as a special treat for us all to try.

The pour on this is blacker than black, with about a ½ finger of angry, burnt, reddish, and just all around mean looking, mocha colored head. The retention is this is actually pretty sturdy for a barrel-aged effort, staying foamy on the sides and then more fizzy across the middle portion of the glass. Swirling this gets a steady rise of froth, which leaves a cascade of sticky foam and brown oils, which ever so slowly creeps down the sides of the glass. The aroma is literally, like a bomb going off in the nose. Cocoa, vanilla, brown sugars, herbal hops, burnt molasses, bitter dark malts, and fried smelling sugars, are all out in full force here. The Bourbon kind of hangs half in and half out here in the nose, mingling effortlessly up front with the other flavors and then showing itself all out in the back. As you can imagine, there is a good bit of heat present that singes the nose hairs a bit but when you're dealing with flavors this huge, it only adds to the general badassness of this dark and powerful bouquet.

The taste is just as large and in charge as the aroma was and contains much of the same feel and flavors. Burned and blackened malts, espresso, green citric tones, extremely sticky and thick notes of chocolate, toffee, smoky molasses, brown sugar, plums, and black currants. Trust me, if it dark and sweet tasting, it's probably in here. Bourbon hangs over the other flavors like a hazy cloud, being prominent but still allowing the largeness of the other flavors to still shine. Understandably, the barrel character seems to get a bit lost in the shuffle at times but I can still pick up a good bit of earthy tannic dryness in the finish. The mouthfeel on this beer feels beyond full, with a massive creaminess to it that literally blows up in your mouth. All of that chewy sweetness and herbal character comes in off of the sides with a gooey slickness. I don't think that any description I can give can properly give the mouthfeel of this thing its due. The ABV on this is beyond warm. It's downright hot at times (with the Bourbon flavor adding some of that) but it's not nearly enough to make you think that this thing is pushing 20%. As a matter of fact, everything else about this beer is so huge and ridiculous, I didn't mind it one bit! Hell, throw some over-the-top alcohol in there as well! The more the merrier!

Well after finally getting to try this, I can definitely see how just how polarizing of a beer this can be. Everything about this (OK, except maybe the look) is just outrageous and I think that one's enjoyment of this will depend on their like of these types of flavors or big Stouts in general, as they are totally taken to the nth degree here. I personally loved every drop of it! I will say that a little bit of this goes a long way. I had about 4-5 oz from the bottle and that was plenty for me. This was definitely a bottle meant to be shared by friends.

Black Tuesday from The Bruery