1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Black Tuesday - The Bruery

2010: 18.2% ABV
2011: 18.3% ABV
2012: 19.2% ABV
2013: 18.9% ABV

(Beer added by: OlieIPA on 07-18-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Black Tuesday Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,110 | Reviews: 542 | Show All Ratings:
rmseven4

4.68/5  rDev +3.3%

Have been lucky enough to have had this beer both on tap at The Bruery and from a fresh bottle the week it was released.

Pours pitch black with a thin layer of tan, almost brown head.

Great smells as soon as the glass gets within 3 feet of your nose, bourbon is very strong and mixes well with the chocolate, vanilla and molasses.

The thick nectar seems to want to grab hold of the side of the glass and not let go, when it does it almost appears to have stained the glass brown.

The taste is a full mix of bourbon, espresso coffee, molasses, dark fruit, vanilla, oak and roasted malts. While strong the bourbon does not overpower and works with the other flavors instead of competing or trying to cover them up. Alcohol, while evident, is not as strong as you would expect in a beer that is supposed to be 19.5%. A little on the sweet side and thus the reason for the lower taste and drinkability scores, more than 5 or 6 ounces of this would start to be too much for me.

Definitely will drink this beer again and look forward to taking one of my remaining bottles back to the East Coast to share with a couple of friends and family.

11-25-2009 00:13:52 | More by rmseven4
khiasmus

South Carolina

3.15/5  rDev -30.5%

Many, many thanks to HopHeadlouie for sending this to me... I'm saddened that it was not what I had hoped for.

A viscous black, liquified dark, nothing on top at all. Stains, not legs or lacing, remain on the sides, a glass of ink, black ink, careful it doesn't stain your clothes.
One whiff and you remember your childhood. You used to love sweets. Eat them all day. Pecan pie, Hershey's chocolate syrup, fudge, chocolate cake. These are what you smell, the aromas that you used to love. But now you are older. Now you also smell the alcoholic burn in it... you catch the hint, the hint of that soy-sauce-sweet-syrup, that called Triple Bock. No, really. Yes, really. A good dose of Triple Bock with the chocolate cake in the nose.
And the flavour, there again, reminds you... well, no sense in remembering, let's break out the ol' photo album, and there you are. Chocolate cake all over your face, your hair, your hands, chocolate icing, chocolate milk, chocolate fudge, chocolate brownies, and caramel. Milky Way, take a bite of alcoholic Milky Way. Alcoholic sweet, chocolatey, syrupy, nougatey, fudgey, Triple Bock.
That Hershey's syrup mouthfeel too, syrupy, sticky, creamy, immensely thick, almost no carbonation, and a lingering syrupy warmth.
This thing would be wonderful if you still loved to eat chocolate cake until your gut could no longer take it anymore. It's little but a chocolate fudge liqueur. Nothing RIS about this one. No roastiness, no balance, just tons and tons of chocolate syrup. Alcoholic, liquid chocolate cake.

11-24-2009 03:01:14 | More by khiasmus
Sandstone

Black Tuesday. It exposes English for the failure of a language it is. No words capable of the profound expression needed.

The ancient Chinese have a symbol. Unpronounceable, but which I have always referred to as The Xa. The Xa is the very concept of inexpressibility. The Xa transcends language and evokes emotion, raw and true.

Black Tuesday is The Xa. A beer which has profoundly impacted my life. With but a single sip, all prior culinary experiences became dull and meaningless by comparison.

Appearance: Black. Impenetrable darkness. A thin brown head, the only sign of life beneath the murky depths.

Smell: Chocolate. Bourbon. Molasses. A delicate richness never before known to beer. Every inhalation is an orgasm of the senses.

Taste: Roasted malts, bourbon. Barrel aged complexity that is beyond the previous limits of my experience.

Mouthfeel: Thick and viscous. Brutal and abusive in many ways, but with the delicate touch of a passionate lover.

Drinkability: Unparalleled. One could drink this forever into the oblivion.

True joy escaped my face in the form of a single tear, rolling down the cheek, into the sublime concoction I was partaking of.

I was one with The Xa.

The pleasure, immeasurable, the pain unthinkable.

White Truffle. Black Caviar. Foie Gras. Even the forbidden Ortolan. They now meant less than nothing to me. They tasted foul and vile by comparison.

Food, I cannot eat. Drink, I cannot drink.

Every day, every minute, since my sip of Black Tuesday, I have been haunted by The Xa.

Help me, Patrick Rue.

Help. Me.

11-23-2009 20:37:25 | More by Sandstone
paco1029384756

4.78/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours black with a small dark tan head with good retention, and it is ridiculously cloying.

Scent of sweet dark fruit, maple syrup, chocolate, a hint of oak, some alcohol, and bourbon. Very sweet, and though the alcohol is noticeable, it is hardly overpowering.

Taste of strong chocolate, sweet maple syrup, bourbon, molasses, candi sugar, oak, and a hint of alcohol. Finishes with dry oak, vanilla and some alcohol. Incredible stuff, not at all suggestive of it's 19.5% ABV.

Mouthfeel is heavy bodied and oily with a small bite of carbonation. As expected, the mouthfeel is perfectly smooth and heavy, but not quite flat.

11-22-2009 21:40:36 | More by paco1029384756
DmanGTR

4.43/5  rDev -2.2%

Very massive thank you to Richard for this bottle to be shared at our tasting.

A - Poured pitch black, no light shines through even when held up to the light. Creamy, tan head that retained as a thin cap and shortly dissipated. No lacing, but very nice considering it is 19.5%. (4.0)

S - Lots of bourbon. It dominated the aroma, although not too unbalanced. Light hints of blackberries and dark chocolate. Very malt forward. There seems to be many layers of complexity here that could have shown more colors. A touch is shown here and there. Bourbon is still quite prominent. But amazing. Like a well aged Bourbon County Stout. (4.0)

T - Wow, where to start? First off, there is a lovely rich fruitiness of an aged RIS. A touch of fig, but more so in the black currant department, molasses, and heavy roasted malts. Lots of chocolate and expresso bean. Bourbon is a huge part of the flavor but does not dominate like it does in the aroma. Fantastic balance for a huge beer, you can hardly taste any hotness from the alcohol. Finishes roasty and sweet, with much bourbon flavor. (4.5)

M - As huge of a beer it is, it is not cloyingly sweet nor is it sticky. Chewy, yes, I can nearly spread it on toast, but damn this drinks incredibly smooth. Not hot at all, just a hint of warmth after it trickles down your throat. Carbonation is very mild. It works for the huge character, just enough to bring everything together. (5.0)

D - A lovely sipper. A full bottle is a bit much at nearly 20% but split between three or four people, it can be enjoyed for hours in an evening. (4.5)

Notes - I treated this beer as any other beer to review. Honestly, I don't give a crap about how hyped up a beer is. A beer is a beer and if your tastebuds enjoy it, then great. If not, at least you gained experience. Personally, I thought this was an excellent beer, although I would have preferred slightly less bourbon in the nose. That was really the only thing that I could complain about. In terms of taste, I can definitely appreciate the subtleties of a year's worth of bourbon barrel aging. It is very much like a vintage Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. In fact, I think I enjoy the balance in GIBCS a touch more than BT. However, its velvety smoothness and lack of alcoholic hotness is what gave it its exceptional texture. Overall, I felt that this was an awesome experience. Thanks again, Richard.

11-22-2009 17:32:26 | More by DmanGTR
KeefD

4.7/5  rDev +3.8%

*This review was a fresh bottle of '09.

Big thanks go out to Mauerhan, one of the most generous and fair traders on this site, for hooking me up with this bottle. Had this last night, shared with friends, took a few notes.

Strange thing happened. As I cut into the wax around the cap, I heard a fizzing sound before I even popped the cap off. That's odd. Poured a dark brown color when viewed in the light, but was completely black in the glass, no head or lacing. Not sure why/how the appearance on this one has been garnering so many 5's, but I digress.

This beer smelled exceptional. Those who know me well know I love bourbon, and this is the best smelling bourbon barrel aged beer I've ever come across. So much wood and bourbon, followed by dark chocolate, graininess, figs, light vanilla, and port. Yep.. This smells amazing. The aroma was easily my favorite part of this beer.

Upon first sip, when it was still a little cold, it tasted much like port, with plenty of chocolate and bourbon. It's a very sweet, complex combination of figs, brown sugar, caramel, and chocolate. As it warms up, the bourbon really starts to come out, especially after a few swirls of the glass, along with some cocoa powder-like chocolate. To me, it literally tasted like a liquid bourbon ball. Outstanding!

The mouthfeel was really great on this beer, really thick, viscous, light carbonation. The only complaint here is that it nearly became cloyingly sweet, and left a little too much of a sugary coating in my mouth and on my lips.

Drinkability really is lower for me on this one. For 19%, the alcohol is well hidden on the tongue, but it does have a good warming as it goes down, and the sweetness/richness is a little much after awhile. The 8-9oz pour I had was just enough, I think. I couldn't see drinking much more than 10oz of this at a time.

Great brew. Glad I got to try this one. No further comments.

Thanks again, Topher!

11-22-2009 03:55:15 | More by KeefD
nickd717

4.7/5  rDev +3.8%

My second review of the great Black Tuesday. This time out of a bottle. largadeer was kind enough to share this awesome rarity - thanks a lot, Chris!

A - Well, it's black. I was really expecting more of a light golden-straw color. Huge disappointment when I realized this was a -bal aged imperial stout rather than an American adjunct lager. Can't win 'em all I guess.

S - Aroma did not wow me as much as before. In fact, this is the one area that this beer fell short. To be frank (as in candid, not hot dog), Cigar City Hunahpus, Marshal Zhukov, and -bal aged 110k+OT, which I had before this, smelled considerably better. I mean it has nice chocolate, roast, bourbon, and vanilla, but I also got a bit of soy sauce that was a little reminiscent of Sam Adams Triple Bock. Don't get me wrong, it smelled better than average, but there are a lot better imperial stouts in this category out there.

T - Well, once again, it's amazing, and I've got to give it a 5 here. Rich chocolate, molasses, roasted malt, caramel, bourbon, vanilla, a little dark fruit - it's all in there. Lasts a long time and does not disappoint in the least. Not much booze at all, but the 19.5% does hit you later. Had about an ounce of a Black Tuesday/Utopias blend also and it was incredible.

M - Thick and viscous with medium-low carbonation, just the right level for this beer. Not syrupy or cloying like you'd think it might be. Booze is there, and you can sense that this is very strong, but not nearly as strong as you'd expect for the ABV.

D - Finished my glass incredibly quickly. Way, way too easy to drink. This was at the end of a large tasting, and the BT sent me over the edge. Still have a headache from it as I write this.

11-21-2009 21:53:32 | More by nickd717
Gyle41386

South Carolina

3.43/5  rDev -24.3%

Big thanks to khiasmus for the opportunity to try this one. With it being held for such high ransom on the trading forum, I was worried I might not have a shot at this one.

Inpenetrable black pour. There's more light brown foam than I would have imagined, which retains well. Not a whole lot of lacing left on the glass, which doesn't surprise me.

The aroma is really, really sweet. Like your standard stout, with a couple of shots of bourbon and a packet of Nestle Quik dumped in. Or maybe if you poured Hershey's syrup into some spiked black coffee. Either way, you get the picture. It's an amped up imperial stout.

The flavor is...well, big. Lots of dark chocolate, molasses, vanilla, and bourbon. Again, it's what you expect from a monster barrel-aged imperial stout.

Unfortunately, there is a harsh boozy finish. I read so many reviews prior to drinking this beer that said how it tasted nothing like 19.5% and how well the alcohol was masked...this beer was hotter than the Dogfish Head Fort we had earlier.

Big, big body. Sticky texture. Obviously, not a very easy drinker. Definitely glad to try it, but it's not worth $30 to me, and it's certainly not worth trading away way more than it's worth.

11-21-2009 18:33:32 | More by Gyle41386
miketd

2.95/5  rDev -34.9%

Bottle shared by Fiver29. Thanks John.

Pours pitch black with a decent brown head. Has the look of Motor oil, or a very thick milkshake. Aroma of sherry, chocolate, coffee and some booze. I don't get any barrel. Flavor is pretty much the same - chocolate, sherry and coffee - but it has an odd, twangy sour finish that wasn't appealing. The best thing about the beer was the body, nice and thick. Not very drinkable, but ok in small doses.

This is a very average beer, nothing special.

11-21-2009 16:46:58 | More by miketd
fiver29

3.78/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle pours pitch black with tan head. Aroma is amazing. I detect subtle notes of bourbon, slight oxidation, dark roast, coffee, chocoate, and dark grain. This has a really pronounced dark grain aroma that just dominates. If you have ever brewed with dark grains that is what it smells like. Those black grains just stand out the most for me in the nose. Dense and viscous mouthfeel. Flavor has a touch of alcohol, bourbon, coffee, grains, and finishes somewhat chocolate sweet with a slight grain astringency. The sweet chocolate and grain astringency finish knock this beer down a bit for me. I don't care for the sweetness or astringency. And that is what I'm left with as it finishes. It has all the layers of complexity that make it a remarkable if not one of the best beers on the planet. I just wish it finished better. Still a nice beer to try either way.

11-21-2009 15:13:49 | More by fiver29
SparklePants

Thanks KeefD for sharing!

This beer looked almost just like any other imperial stout. In fact after having this beer last night I had a pout of the Darkness 09' and thought that had more head retention and lacing. Very dark and syrupy look to it.

A small swirl and then smell brought out a ton of the bourbon, a little overpowering to me. I could get more essence of the different flavors smelling than tasting it seemed.

This beer hides the almost 20% alcohol it holds pretty well. Small chocolate and vanilla flavors to it. As it warmed up the flavors were more brought out and so was the bourbon.

It deffinitly made my lips sticky, and almost felt like I had some coating my mouth. Pretty smooth, but Im saying that for a 20% beer.

I couldn't imagine drinking an entire bottle of this to myself and splitting it 3 ways I was close to buzzing! A sharing bottle indeed. Drinkability is just above what I would consider average.

11-21-2009 14:59:40 | More by SparklePants
drgonzo3705

3.9/5  rDev -13.9%

Again thanks to Miketd and Fiver29 for hooking this up for a small Friday tasting.

A: Deep cola black hole looking color with a small but sufficient head. Decent legs but not much lacing.

S: Interesting. I imagine taking some cocoa nibs and soaking them in soy sauce. After that you would take that old bourbon barrel you have out back that your Uncle Cornelius picked up for you that you thought would be good to throw some of your Aunt Mae's famous maple syrup in. Now throw those nibs in that barrel and add some grain to the mix with a little malt. Shake vigorously chill and serve. You would have just recreated Black Tuesday.

T: Read my thoughts on the smell of this beer and translate that to your taste buds. Pretty straightforward.

M: Definitely the highlight of this brew. Viscous. I should probably just keep a spare bottle in my car in case I start leaking oil. Good carbonation.

D: 25.4 oz = 24 hours. Definitely something to share. I have to say this is a very unique and interesting beer. I don't feel it is worth all the hype, some maybe but not all of it. Very good don't get me wrong but you Cali guys can just keep holding on to those bottles for yourselves.

11-21-2009 05:31:09 | More by drgonzo3705
oglmcdgl

4.9/5  rDev +8.2%

A-Opens with a nice hiss and pours a black so dark the lord of the pit himself couldn't see his way out. Head builds nicely but reduces to a fine dark brown skin. This dames got legs for days a quick swirl around the snifter coats the sides very well.

S-Burbon, vanilla, black strap molasses, a bit of boozyness that seems to come more from the bourbon then the brew itself but what do I know. As it warms the aromas really open up and brings out dark fruits and brown sugar. Wow factor on the smell for sure.

T-Big time bourbon and dark roasty malts. Vanilla bean and fudge, coco power and that blackstrap again. The barrel aging really shows but it does not over shadow this amazing brew.

m- Thick and viscous, smooth and creamy. It coats the mouth and then the perfect amount carb fizzes up and carries the liquid to a new level of complexity. I love a thick beer and this one is up there but not too much that one cant appreciated it.

D-Well I wish I had twice as much. Yes, it is a huge beer with lots of abv but it is by no means overly hot. As it warms a bit more of the heat comes out so Im thinking with some time this will be a perfect 5 in my book. Amazing beer from an amazing brewery, keep up the good work.

11-21-2009 01:28:37 | More by oglmcdgl
Steamhead

Kentucky

4.78/5  rDev +5.5%

Well, I first heard about Black Tuesday back in early summer. Naurally, being a lover of great stout like myself, I have been dying to try this one. Endless thanks to davod23, the best trading partner in the world. Bottle shared with dear friend and fellow BA Hopfu on a rainy Tuesday afternoon alongside 09 Goose Island BCS and 09 KBS for comparison in the ever-faithful Duvel glass at cellar temperature. So onto the 19.5%, 20 malt, 15 month bourbon barrel-aged beast!
Wow, stunning packaging from choice of inks, paper and wax on this bottle. Admirable attention to detail in every respect. A gentle pour into the glass renders a one inch dark khaki head that soon recedes to the liquid surface. Rich, viscuous retention on the glass suggests some serious liquid extract. The body is black and dense as any world-class Imperial Stout. The aromatics are fantastic! One of the most lush dessert scents like Vahlrona lava cake and pure vanilla extract. No trace of booziness anywhere. My senses are fully engaged in anticipation at this point. Anchors aweigh, my boys! The attack is phenomenal. All sorts of extravagant analogies such as young vintage port, chocolate cream liquer, and black barleywine coming to mind. Neither the bourbon nor barrel component is overdone. The sweetness however is a slight challenge for me...moreso than I expected, but at these extremes is very well-managed. The finish becomes slightly one-dimensional due to the sweetness, but does reveal traces of alcohol. Ultimately delicious in every way, I truly believe that another year in the barrel would have made this even more integrated. It certainly deserves its place in the pantheon of all-time greatest stouts. While in the bar of my dreams, this would certainly be on tap, but I can't say that it is my all-time favorite. I will be checking in regularly to see how it ages though. So does it set a new benchmark for it's category? Absolutely. I, however, believe that The Bruery has the potential to produce even better beers than this one. It just reminds me how grateful I am to be alive during this unprecedented golden age of craft beer.

11-20-2009 12:26:15 | More by Steamhead
MrDanno96

4.9/5  rDev +8.2%

A bottle of this fortuitously made its way to the Rochester BA Tasting this past Saturday at the Tap and Mallet. My heartfelt thanks go out to Richard and Daren for making this possible. While I don't usually review beers I've had at tastings, I had a decent 3-4 oz. serving of this. While that may be too small an amount to review most beers, due to the nature of this amazing brew I don't think I would drink more than about 8 oz. of it at a time anyway (though I would definitely want to). Therefore, I feel justified in posting the notes and ratings that I took down at the tasting.

A: Pours pitch black with a beautiful tan head. Just a little lacing, but I can also see lots of legs sliding down the sides of the glass.

S: Bourbon, vanilla, chocolate, some oak, and warm, stinging alcohol. Definitely not your typical aroma, but still quite amazing.

T: Similar to the nose, but even better! Bourbon is very apparent, but is complemented quite well by flavors of vanilla, molasses, caramel, and chocolate. Some toasty malts are also apparent. Heat from the alcohol is pretty apparent, but it works well with everything that is going on.

M: Amazingly smooth, very little carbonation. Warms just like brandy or bourbon going down.

D: The epitome of a sipper. As I noted above, I wouldn't want to drink a lot of this in one sitting, but a good 8-12 oz serving would probably last you well over an hour if treated right. The flavors and aroma are so complex and amazing - I wish I had a few bottles of this to sip on during the cold winter months. I was ready for a let down after all the hype, but after trying this I think most of the hype is definitely deserved. I'm not sure it deserves to be on the ridiculously high pedestal most traders put it on, but it is most certainly one of the best beers I've ever had the pleasure of tasting.

11-19-2009 16:28:59 | More by MrDanno96
HopHead84

4.98/5  rDev +9.9%

20 malt batch consumed on 08/01/2009 on tap at The Bruery. I toyed with the idea of driving up here to try this on draft, and the only thing that was stopping me was the fact that I already had a couple bottles reserved. With each new review of the beer that I read, the urge to head north grew stronger, and finally I found myself on the 5 North last Saturday riding for victory (more bottles and a draft sample).

The liquid is black in my snifter, as any good Imperial Stout should be. The toffee head is mountainous, and it leaves behind thick legs on the sides which are quickly reanimated by a swirl of the glass. The retention is excellent, finally choosing to settle into a lingering froth of various shades of brown. Great looking beer.

The aroma is magnificent. The dark fruit component is made up of grapes, dark cherries, and plums. Blackstrap molasses is present. The 19% is not at all represented in the nose. You could tell me the ABV of this beer is 7% and I'd believe you (If I hadn't already seen the legs). Notes of brown sugar accompany vanilla, oak, and rich toffee sweetness. Dark chocolate is noticeable, and the bourbon is very well integrated into the aroma. It doesn't overpower and it doesn't take center stage. The candied sugar is excellent, but it's the maple that really stands out for me.

The flavor is rich chocolate and toffee with bourbon and oak. The sweetness is sugary but nowhere near cloying. It's made up of maple, which tastes wonderful, and candied, which is also fantastic. I commented on the well integrated bourbon in the aroma, and that trend continues in the flavor. I really love bourbon dominated beers, but there's so much going in Black Tuesday that balance is key, and any overshadowing flavor would be to its detriment. The dark fruit complexity is made up of plums, dark cherries, and grapes. Blackstrap molasses is present, and once again the alcohol hints at an ABV much lower than 19.5%. I honestly can't believe it. The only evidence of such an ABV is in the warming finish and the body that is evident in the legs in the appearance. The alcohol is masterfully hidden. The finish exhibits alcohol warming, with lingering toffee, bourbon, and maple sugar.

The beer is full bodied with a nice medium level of draft carbonation. I really hope this carbonation level carries through to the bottles. The mouthfeel is creamy, silky, chewy, and at times it is sticky.

All aboard. This is one of the best Imperial Stouts around and you'll just have to deal with it. Black Tuesday is a paragon.

11-19-2009 07:25:28 | More by HopHead84
BARFLYB

4.05/5  rDev -10.6%

Thanks goes out to ___ for providing the bottle, went into some small snifters and split with friends. Review 475.

Midnight sky black with some dark muddy spots towards the edges. The beer pours thick and oil like and just looks like some gooey syrup. You may want to put some plastic down on your couch before enjoying this near 20%er, things could get tricky. Not really any head, save for a few small patches of brown bubbles. Nothing in terms of lace but there is a brown dirty film that remains on the glass.

Smells like sweet heaven. Black Tuesday has a bold nose, and it reaches far from the glass. An equal amount of roasted malt and chocolate attack the senses, opening my eyes. A nice vanilla base and minimal coffee. The bourbon is huge and makes me smile. BT smells like a souped up Bourbon County Stout mixed with a small bit of World Wide Stout, but with even more malt sweetness. Some molasses and licorice. The alcohol is masked very well but it's not 100% out of the way.

Tuesday is big, It's huge in fact. The two main tastes is dark rich chocolate and roasted malts working in unison together. Under that is more malt giving off more sweetness plus caramel. Expensive bourbon makes a move next and leaves my mouth a bit hot and boozy, but im loving it. The bourbon shines with temp. changes. Some oak from the barrel. Surprised not to get a lot of coffee out of BT, it's very minimal. For a beer this size I was expecting some soy sauce, and i got some but just a touch, phew. Molasses and more malt in the finish, this stuff is big.

The alcohol is masked well but I can still tell it's there easily with a slight hotness, it's small and not in the way. BT is thick and viscous, chewy and RAW. Kind of goes down like a light syrup while taking small sips. This has a certain slickness going down leaving all the ingredients on the tounge, and then finishing with some hot booze. The bourbon seems to be sticking around the longest.

Slowly and surely I will make it through this darkness. BT demands some time and patience and a plate of assorted chocolates to heighten the experience. Spread the love and share with a friend or two or you may not make it into work the next morning. For the amount of alcohol and sweetness this beer is very approachable. I believe that while aging this may do something to the taste and heat, it wont exactly benefit greatly as it's huge and great right now

Black Tuesday actually reminded me of some of those big foreign stouts including some Mikeller stuff, Dark Horizon and the like, only with the American twist of doing it even bigger.

11-16-2009 20:33:46 | More by BARFLYB
waltonc

Colorado

4.22/5  rDev -6.8%

Cracked open a bottle of this last night with some friends. Pours viscous black with mocha head. Smells amazing - we all kept sniffing this over and over before even taking a sip. Sweet bourbon, brown sugar, and vanilla are all quite prominent. Tastes quite bourbony and sweet, with more brown sugar and vanilla. Maybe a hint of butterscotch in there too. After sampling this at GABF, I wasn't sure if I'd find it to be too sweet for my taste. Thankfully that was not the case. This tastes to me like Goose Island BCS squared. Body is very thick, and well supported by ample carbonation. Overall, an extremely delicious brew. My biggest complaint is that this is sold in 750 ml bottles. Absurd, given the high ABV. If I want to share with friends, I can just open a second smaller bottle. No need for the large format.

11-15-2009 18:49:35 | More by waltonc
Overlord

Well, had a chance to sample one of my precious few remaining bottles of this. It's made its way from tap to bottle spectacularly. I really don't have too much to change about my review (I invariably only review a beer once, regardless of how many serving variations I have, but I'll make an exception this one time). I'll put in all caps the differences.

Pours a dark black, with a surprisingly robust bubbling brown head. IF ANYTHING, IT MIGHT BE MORE CARBONATED IN THE BOTTLED VERSION, AS I REMEMBER THE HEAD DYING DOWN FASTER FOR THE ON-TAP VERSION. YAY FORCED CARBONATION.

Smells like molasses, brown sugar, heavenly bourbon (these guys have the f****g best bourbon barrels), vanilla, and a bit of spicy ... nuttiness? Caramel? Insane. Tons of roasted chocolate and malt.

Taste delivers on the promise of the smell. Just wondrous. More bourbon, more roasted bitter chocolate malt with an undercurrent of sweet milk chocolate, a crazy pecan/woody/earthy nutty aftertaste, that "vanilla in the raw" flavor, and layered brown sugar/molasses. Hints of oak/wood. This is absolutely great. IT'S BEEN IN THE BARREL A BIT LONGER, AND MAY BE A BIT STRONGER IN THE BOURBON AND VANILLA.

For what it is, the drinkability is dangerous and insane. Sticky, chewy, and thick. Rivals Dark Lord, Darkness, PtY, and World Wide Stout for thickest, chewiest beer I've ever tried.

One of a handful of beers I could legitimately call the best I've ever had. I will treasure this "twenty malt" version.

11-15-2009 07:40:11 | More by Overlord
FtownThrowDown

4.05/5  rDev -10.6%

Bottle courtesy of RoyMunson.

Pours a very dark brown, damn near black in color. A nice mocha colored head on the pour. Looks very inviting.
Smell is dark molasses, some tobacco, and a little bit of alcohol in the nose. Smell is good.
Taste is incredibly smooth and creamy. Did I say creamy, this beer is absolutely ridonculous.
Plenty of roasted molasses, with a very nice dark chocolate flavor, milk shake material.
Plenty of hotness and alcohol coming through in the flavor. This is a good beer, but I doubt it's worth what people are giving up. I would take Vanilla Bean Dark Lord over this beer easily.

11-15-2009 01:44:59 | More by FtownThrowDown
pwoods

4.95/5  rDev +9.3%

Huge thanks to Roymunson for sharing this during Munsonfest.

A: Pitch black, very thick but not quite motor oil or Dark Lord. Moderate head on the pour with just a bit of retention. Some wispy lacing.

S: Deep, rich fucking malts. Not burnt but very roasty with loads of deep sugary molasses. You can definitely tell that it's a huge beer bu the alcohol only comes out a bit and is already melding well.

T/M: I want to hate this beer but I can't. This is very good. Deep, rich malts, but again, not burnt. Deeply sweet molasses and caramel. Some muted hops but not huge like Expo. Damn fine alcohol line, not much heat but plenty of flavor that melds nicely. Light, flavorful wood with some vanilla but not tons of bourbon. Body is full but not heavy and very very creamy.

D: 19.5? I would never guess this past 12 or so but still incredibly drinkable. Like I said.... I want to hate this beer because of the hype but damn.... This is an incredible beer.

EDIT: Just split a bottle with my Kels and the bourbon is much more pronounced in this bottle. Still not massive on the bourbon but definitely a step up and a nice improvement. Gonna bump the aroma up to a 5. Fantastic.

11-15-2009 00:47:04 | More by pwoods
Tdizzle

4.88/5  rDev +7.7%

A- Poured about ten ounces into a Bruery tulip glass. Black Tuesday appears motor oil-black with a brief showing of light-brown foam that dissipates to a thin, swirly film over the beer and a thick ring along the inside of the glass. No lacing at all.

S- Bourbon whiskey, oak wood, and vanilla backed by hugely sweet notes of dark chocolate, molasses, anise, and dark fruits caramelized in brown sugar. There's little indication that this beer is almost 20% alcohol.

T- The initial taste is of suagry dark fruits -- maybe choclate covered raisins and dates -- and loads of syrupy sweetness. Bourbon whiskey and oak barrel accent every flavor from start to finish. The 19.5% ABV is remarkeably well-hidden and the finish leaves deeply sweet flavors of chocolate syrup along with a mild espresso bitterness clinging to the palate and the sides of the mouth. There's just a touch of alcohol heat in the chest after each sip. The final taste is of woody bourbon barrel and molasses.

M- A rich, creamy mouthfeel with fine, delicate carbonation bubbles that provide just the right amount of balancing effervescnece to the viscous and slightly syrupy texture.

D- This is incredibly drinkable stuff given the immense ABV and the massively sweet flavors. I was able to finish my entire glass and was left wanting more.

One of the best beers I've ever had. I'll be interested to see what a few years of age will do, if anything.

11-14-2009 08:29:57 | More by Tdizzle
Pehlman

4.43/5  rDev -2.2%

Thanks to T Dizzle for opening this with me. I had this a few times on tap but this is my first from the bottle.

A: Blacker than black can be. Very little head. Poured with a 1/4 inch dark tan head but disappeared quickly. and no lacing what so ever.

S: Smells A LOT like Goose Island Bourbon County Stout! but sweeter. You definitely get a lot of the sugars in the aroma. The alcohol is hidden very very well.

T: Bourbon hits first and then fades into a boozey, sugary, flavor-fest. Quite nice. The sweetness lingers a little too long for my taste. Again very reminicent of Goose Island BCS.

M: Feels great. Perfect amount of carbonation. Great body. Not too dry as I would expect from this high of ABV. Coats the mouth, leaving great flavor.

D: I think I could finish about 1/2 of a bottle but that would be about it. Not just cuz of the 19.5 ABV. But the sugars seem to get a little too sweet. Almost like a Liqueur. A very very tasty liqueur. Maybe not quite worth $30 a pop but still quite nice.

11-14-2009 07:41:56 | More by Pehlman
OlieIPA

4.88/5  rDev +7.7%

Decided to share a bottle of this with my good buddy Brian in celebration of a new job. Poured and served in a Bruery tulip glass.

A: Probably the thickest and darkest looking brew I've every had! Damn it's viscous! Before opening this bottle, I was a little worried about the amount of carbonation and head this beer was going exhibit (due to the overabundance of alcohol)...but I wasn't let down this time. I discovered that BT was able to produce a beautiful light brown colored head. The only knock would be the lack of head retention and lacing, but overall...a nice looking stout.

S: Took a fresh whiff when I first poured this beast and found the alcohol extremely over the top, but after letting it breathe for 5 or 10 minutes...it seemed to cool off quite a bit. Once this was done, I was able to pick up an assortment of aromas that included: brown sugar, chocolate, vanilla, caramel, anise, and more brown sugar. Just from the nose, you can tell this is one sticky beer.

T: The alcohol presence szx more subdued than the smell indicated. Again, tons of brown sugar molasses and dark chocolate backed up by vanilla bean, caramel, dark fruit, and anise. I was amazed by the incredible smoothness and cohesion of all the flavors. It's basically the Albert Pujols of beers. Has immense amounts of power and punch...but has a sophistication to hit for a high average.

M: Mildly carbonated, creamy, full-body; perfect!

D: Thought the bottle version and the higher serving temp would affect the overall drinkability, but I surprised to find this even more drinkable than the tap version. Yeah...you can taste the alcohol presence...but for 19.5%....no other beer within the area code of ABV can compete with BT.

Overall: The only major difference between the tap and bottle version...at least in my opinion...is the nose. At warmer temps, the alcohol is easily detectable...and at times, felt like I was getting buzzed even before I took a sip. Yet, I was able to extract more flavors and nuances than with the tap version. With that said, BT is among the top Impy stouts in the world. A must try. Cheers!

11-13-2009 06:10:56 | More by OlieIPA
DrewOSU

4.05/5  rDev -10.6%

Shared by Newtonty, thanks man!

A: The pour has a black base, with a swirl of dark roasted head. Lacing is a viscous oil that coats the side of the glass.

S: Stinging bourbon attacks the nose, followed by an onslaught of sweet malts. You can tell this beer is going to be massive just by smelling it

M/T: Medium, oily body coats the tongue and the roof of the mouth. Next comes the sting from the high APV drying out the pallet, only to be finished by huge maple flavor. The maple flavor is very sweet and overwhelming after the 3rd swallow. The taste is too reminiscent of other big bourbon stouts out there.

D: Huge alcohol, malts and maple. Couldn't drink too much of this. It appears to me that the brewer threw everything in the book at this beer and left nothing left to chance. Huge alcohol, huge bourbon, huge malts. There is nothing subtle about this whatsoever. Doing so, I think it lost some appeal with me. I think its smoother than other big dogs out there, but I am not getting on the hype train with this one.

11-13-2009 00:13:56 | More by DrewOSU