1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Black Tuesday - The Bruery

2010: 18.2% ABV
2011: 18.3% ABV
2012: 19.2% ABV
2013: 18.9% ABV

(Beer added by: OlieIPA on 07-18-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Black Tuesday Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,112 | Reviews: 542 | Show All Ratings:
beachbum1975

4.28/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Newtonty hooked us up tonight!!! Okay, I'm going to be as objective as possible on this recently uber-hyped beer.

Amazing packaging adorn this one with a fine, black wax head.

From luke warm, put in a freezer 20 minutes, then removed. The initial temp during the pour was a little too cold for my tastes.

Pours in my snifter as dark as a starless night. Black with a dark cocoa head with small bubbles. Only a faint halo remains after a few minutes in my snifter. A fine topaz ring can be see around the edges of my glass.

The nose on this one is VERY big, even at the present cold temperature. Big, woody, yet sweet malts, nuances of sweet flavors like vanilla, caramel and molasses. It's like a malt extract or Caro syrup in it's thickness. I get faint cocoa, big dark chocolate fudge and black licorice, at times, as well. Very big and complex overall. Sublime...

The mouth reflects the nose on this. This is a not a beer for the mild... Even at it's current cold temperature, I can't get over the thickness (chewiness) in the mouthfull. It's like drinking an oil slick mixed with maple syrup! This beer, at times, reminds me of the blending involved with the Firestone Walker anniversary beers. Overall, I get a mix of flavors including big, sweet malts, aggressive sweetness, vanilla, chocolate, figs, black licorice and caramel. The flavors are huge and in your face the entire time. I was actually surprised how little alcohol burn there was through out, but it was present.

This beer is very complex, but not "in your face, big with flavors", but it actually is at the same time. It was almost too sweet for me at times, like the brewer intentionally added as many core ingredients to the beer before turning this liquid into a solid!

Wow, lots going on, recommended.

11-13-2009 00:08:53 | More by beachbum1975
alcstradamus

Washington

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

I can't give enough thanks to Scott and David for the opportunity. Here it goes:

Poured into my tulip glass, I am greeted with a nice finger of mocha colored head that I didn't expect from a beer this strength. After it settles, a nice collar forms and leaves an oily residue in its trail. A quick swirl of the glass causes the head to rise back up about a quarter inch high and leave a trail of sticky goo on the the glass wherever it made contact with the liquid. Really awesome and really menacing.

The smell on this is hot hot hot....I have been agitating it quite a bit as I sit here and stare at the glass, and the volatiles are being released and absolutely invade the sinuses with blistering force. Underneath is a dense mishmash of everything you would ever want in an imperial stout. Chocolate, toffee, vanilla, oak, raisins, plums, marshmallows, candy sweetness....oops, another swirl of the glass brings back that potent heat. Really quite nice, and somewhat intimidating. Probably deserves a 5 while sitting still, but I'm dropping this score a bit to reflect the high booziness that peeks out. But now I must have a taste...

...and I am in heaven. But damn heaven is hot as hell. I'm actually really surprised at how many people have stated that this beer drinks like it is only half its strength, because I personally would guess 14-15% if I didn't know any better. Still, that is significantly lower than its actual ABV.

Now onto the actual flavor, which I guess I haven't even touched upon yet. Everything I mentioned in the smell is here in some form or another, but surprisingly nothing really jumps out and takes the forefront. All of this humongous flavor is insanely well balanced. Richly decadent, this beast is a dessert and a half. You basically have to plan your whole night around drinking this. After a while the sweetness starts to really take the forefront, luckily it is not cloying for my palate.

The mouthfeel is full and creamy and very well carbonated. Heavy, yet enough bubbles to engulf the entire mouth with flavor. Just how it should be.

Drinkability improves after you get a few ounces in you. The booziness subsides, and the amazing flavors underneath come to the forefront. I think 8 oz. is probably the perfect serving size for this, so split your bottle 3 ways for best results. I really wish this came in 12 oz. bottles or smaller, because I would like to be able to drink it more often. An absolutely stunning beer.

11-12-2009 19:08:34 | More by alcstradamus
DefenCorps

Oregon

4.65/5  rDev +2.6%

The much hyped Black Tuesday shared generously by Shane. I also managed to score a bottle thanks to Weibull, thanks, Jason! While it took a while to finish this, it was anything but a chore.

Looking at this beer, I ask myself: How much blacker can a beer get? The answer, my friends, is None more black. A dense dark brown head is present, hanging around leaving some foam as it settles into a ring. Incredibly dark, this beer has gorgeous legs, the only way I was able to tell that the the alcohol might be up there.

What an exceptional nose! Rich and layerd with rich chocolate cake, vanilla and bourbon. Devoid of alcohol, this is really quite outrageous. Reminiscent of OADL. Even the chocolate character is outrageously rich - I get layers of milk and dark chocolate as well as some cocoa powder. The vanilla is exceptionally incorporated and the bourbon is outstanding. Very faint rummy character, with some dark fruit - raisins soaked in bourbon and rum. Malted milk balls are present too. I have to mention that this is sweet, but also balanced, much along the lines of Dark Horizon 1st Ed. World Wide Stout/Darkness, this is not.

The palate opens with a ton of sweetness, mildly sugary with a rich and delicious molasses character. A touch sweet for my taste, this is still very very good. A lot of the chocolate complexity appears early on, with dark and milk chocolate character. Nougat like with toffee, bourbon and vanilla appear mid palate. Oak is reserved and while present, it's whelmed by the sweetness. Big in body with soft and smooth carbonation, the finish is LONG lasting with plenty of flavor, vanilla, bourbon and chocolate. Every now and then, I get a touch of a meaty character too. The alcohol is exceptionally well hidden.

Evaluating the drinkability of a beer like this is difficult. While not quaffable, I have to admit that I drank 6oz of my 8oz pour in about 20 minutes and had to really hold myself back in the better interests of my sobriety. This really is a feat of brewing, thanks for sharing this with us, Shane.

**Edit 26 March 2011**

I shared a bottle of the 2010 batch at our Philly tasting.

The nose is a lot simpler - soy sauce and bourbon, brown sugar, booze, caramel. The palate opens with plenty of sugar, caramel, booze, brown sugar, vanilla, and all things sweet. Prunes, dates, raisins, rummy and bourbon are present. Intense. Sweet and moderately boozy on the finish, there's some port. Not as chocolate-like as the 09, there's a stunning lack of all things stout - no roast, no coffee, no chocolate. More of an American Strong Ale imo. 4.5/4/4.5/4/4

**Edit 23 Dec 2011**
Devin shared a bottle last night. Holy fucking fuck, is this beer a hot and boozy mess or what? It tastes like they dumped fucking Everclear in this, it's sinus-clearing boozy with plenty of chocolate and vanilla. Just too fucking intense, this vintage is nothing like the 2009. S/T/M=3.5/2.5/3

**Edit 26 Dec 2012**
Drinking a bottle of the 2011 release with my dad.

Hot, boozy, moderately messy, but a lot more enjoyable. Sweet caramel, vanilla and booze with some chocolate and dark fruit. The palate is similarly big and boozy, with plenty of vanilla and alcohol. Very sugary, this has some chocolate, but is mostly devoid of roast, chocolate and coffee. Enjoyable in small quantities.
3.5/3.5/3.5

11-11-2009 00:49:48 | More by DefenCorps
nqualls

Kentucky

750 mL bottle.

A - Dark black pour with a DARK brown head. Possibly the darkest head I've ever seen.

S - Intoxicating. Bourbon, dark chocolate, milk chocolate, vanilla...and chocolate. Very nice. Compare it to brownies or chocolate cake.

T - Bourbon and vanilla, followed by caramel, rich toffee, and....wait for it...chocolate. Surprisingly little alcohol for a beer of this stature.

M - Silky smooth mouthfeel, heavy body and soft carbonation. Feels like liquid silk in your mouth.

D - This was the only place I could ding points. This is not an easy drinker. It is a meal, and takes a while to drink by yourself...and I did. I wouldn't change anything about the beer, its just doesn't have the drinkability of some lower ABV stouts.

Overall - This is the new standard. Hope you got some bottles of it.

11-10-2009 23:28:10 | More by nqualls
largadeer

4.73/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2009 edition generously shared by Shane. Thanks! Enjoyed this one over the course of a couple hours with Shane and Dyan. This provided a nice contrast to all the bottles of lambic we opened that day.

The pour is black and opaque, impressively dark for the style. It's even black around the edges, and the head is nearly black itself. I'd describe this beer as black.

It smells strongly of bourbon and brownies. The bourbon imparts a strong aroma of caramel, which is supported by a huge chocolate malt foundation. Where's the alcohol? I have no idea. At 19.5% ABV, it's unbelievable how mellow this is. While it's not the most complex stout I've come across, it's certainly a feat of brewing.

The taste opens with bourbon, vanilla, toffee and bittersweet chocolate. Rich and full-bodied, but surprisingly it's neither syrupy nor cloying. Very little heat, and no harshness - I've tried -bal aged beers of half the ABV that tasted hotter. Amazing. Molasses-like sweetness along with a mild roastiness appear mid-palate. Carbonation is fairly ample, enough to give the beer a lively texture and ward off the taste of alcohol. The finish is sweet, a bit woody, with lingering flavors of coffee, caramel and slight alcohol. It's warming going down, the only indication that this is anywhere near 19.5%.

Drinkability isn't especially high, it did take me a couple hours to finish 1/3 of a bottle, but with that said it never became cloying or harsh - it's just such a filling and intense beer that I can't see myself wanting to drink it often or in large quantities.

11-10-2009 22:30:29 | More by largadeer
berkey

4.47/5  rDev -1.3%

Finally opening this bad boy for the occasion of my 100th review. I absolutely loved this stuff on tap at the release and I can't wait to find out if it's as good in the bottle. From notes 11/08/09 shared with a friend. 750ml bottle poured into a Bruery tulip. Can't help but hear the guitar riff from the famous poolside scene in Fast Times at Ridgemont High as I pour this epic brew...

This pours about as black as beer comes. Very briefly forms a medium sized tan head with strong red highlights then fades away almost completely. Leaves near zero lacing as I swish it around the glass.

Aroma jumps right out of the bottle and up the nostrils even before you pour it. Strong scents of chocolate and vanilla compete for supremacy as the dominant smell and it's really not clear which comes out on top. I'm getting some maraschino cherries in the background as well. Very nice.

Strong dark chocolate and powdery cocoa notes continue on the palate along with a hefty dose of anise, some maple syrup, blackberries, and a very faint trace of coffee. As was the case on tap, alcohol heat is conspicuous by its relative absence. Don't know how they did it. Oaky vanilla is still detectable here but not as much of a major player as it was on the aroma. I'm not picking up much in the way of distinct Bourbon and wood notes common in Bourbon barrel aged beers other than the vanilla, which actually starts to reassert itself as the beer warms up.

Feel is creamy and light, not as thick as the most viscous beers in the style but it works well in this case. Carbonation is actually a little on the low side but I was so distracted with the flavors I would never have noticed if feel wasn't one the categories on this site. I don't like soda-like carbonation on stouts though so no complaints. It seems ridiculous to call this 19.5 abv monster highly drinkable but it's true. Too easy to drink actually, in a sense I'm almost glad this is not easily available. If this was a regular I'd drink it to the point of intoxication on a regular basis.

Hype aside, this is overall one of the more interesting beers I've tried recently. It's definitely an extreme beer though, so probably not for everyone. It's quite an accomplishment in itself making a beer this strong that isn't a sticky cloying mess, let alone making one that's highly drinkable and delicious but Patrick and the crew nailed it.

11-09-2009 20:24:32 | More by berkey
davod23

4.9/5  rDev +8.2%

OK, so my first foray into rating beers officially on this site. Reviewing from last night's notes upon my opening my first bottle. Offhandedly, this was just as good as on-tap at the release. It's marginally better than the first time I had it, some months back at the Bruery, where I thought the body was a little thin.

Appearance is pitch black, light ruddy edges of brown. Thick, viscous, though not as akin to used motor oil as Dark Lord. So happy to see a small, coffee-colored head at the top. It stays the whole time. A swirl of the glass coats the interior, so that the glass itself is stained brown.

Smell is exceptional - just a bit of boozy heat, which I like. Powerful aroma, with dark fruit, rich dark chocolate, coffee, and a touch of bourbon. Not my favorite-smelling stout, but it's way up there.

Taste... well, suffice to say that this is the best tasting imperial stout I've ever had. Massive dark fruit, roasted coffee, a bit of chocolate, and some heat. But seriously, you cannot tell me that this is 20%. The taste tells me 10%. Is that cherry I taste? Where the hell did that come from? Pretty sweet too, but somehow it works. An epic after-dinner beer.

Mouthfeel is crazy good. Thick, viscous, with enough carbonation that it feels alive in your mouth.

Drinkability is the only, and I mean only spot where I can take off any points. I was actually struggling with whether to give a 5 or a 4.5 here. Because honestly, I don't think it's possible for a beer of this strength and complexity to be any more drinkable than BT is. However, this beer is almost too much... you definitely need one or two people to share it with, because this is a damn beast. Sooo... yes, I will have to give it a 4.5.

Overall: This is probably my favorite beer of all-time. It's certainly among the most complex and well-constructed beers I've ever had. Hot damn, I'm glad that I've got more of this. Don't listen to the cynics that tell you that this beer is "overly hyped" or that its scores are artificially inflated. This beer is the real deal. It would be tough to claim that there's any better imperial stout out there.

11-09-2009 01:44:27 | More by davod23
Rochefort10nh

New Hampshire

4.97/5  rDev +9.7%

A huge thanks to jhenry04 for coming through for me on this one in a very fair and reasonable trade.

I served this at 54 degrees into my Dogfish Head snifter. On first pour, there is very little carbonation until five seconds or so pass and a nice stream of bubbles begins to work its way to the surface. A frothy, Cappuccino-like head forms on a second vigorous pour. Swirling this around in the glass produces tremendous legs like a fine sherry or port.

The smell is outstanding. As soon as I worked my way through the two layers of black wax and pried off the cap, a beautiful caramel, cocoa aroma was released. Sticking my nose deep into the snifter I get a host of bourbon-like flavors ranging from vanilla to toffee to sultana raisins. Gorgeous. I spent a good ten minutes just inhaling the aromas before taking my first sip. There was certainly a strong presence of alcohol in the nose which was leading me to believe that this would be quite hot.

Upon my first taste I was immediately struck by how the nose transfered to the taste in every way but one - the alcohol was much more subdued than what I expected. Notes of muscovado sugar, plums and candied pecans all come through on subsequent sips. This is heady stuff!

Mouthfeel was tremendous. Very viscous but never chewy. A perfect amount of carbonation for the high alcohol and a fantastic achievement considering it's nearly 40 proof!

Drinkability is off the charts for the style and high alcohol content. Despite the heat in the nose and very sweet body, it never becomes hot or cloying. Beautifully done!

In retrospect Black Tuesday resembles Utopias, the FW Anniversary beers, MS Arctic Devil Barleywine and even J.W. Lees Harvest Ale more than it does many of the top Imperial Stouts out there.

Is this the best beer in the world? One could certainly argue for or against and have valid points on both sides. What is indisputable to me is that Black Tuesday is a tremendous brewing achievement that shows great finesse in a huge package. All I know is that I spent nearly two hours drinking this beer and when I swirled the last sip in my mouth and swallowed I was deeply satiated.

11-08-2009 13:32:50 | More by Rochefort10nh
sonicdescent

4.63/5  rDev +2.2%

Here goes...

Appearance is surprisingly good, usually when you get this high into ABV you are looking at near stillness. This is black as can be with a very nice head and lacing.

Scent is just fantastic. Nowhere near as boozy as some several percentage points less. Rasins, other dark fruits, bourbon, vanilla, and maple syrup hit me as I opened the bottle.

Taste, while not nearly as boozy as several beers with quite a bit less alcohol, is still a tad on the boozy side, which I feel is the only thing keeping this from a perfect 5. The dark fruits and a sweet maple presence make themselves known, along with the vanilla, smoke, light wood.

Mouth is just great, a great level of carbonation that I would consider medium level overall, and a pretty suitably thick feel.

Overall, this is a really incredible achievement in the style. Managing to get the ABV this high, and having it not taste like rocket fuel and fire, LET ALONE having it taste damn good in the process, is just amazing.

11-07-2009 05:08:29 | More by sonicdescent
JRhode

A jet black beer with a slightly brown twinge at the edge of the glass. Chocolate brown head that dissipated quickly. Lacing drips vertically down the glass rather than horizontally. Reeks of bourbon, charred oak, molasses, possibly chocolate cake, and dried dark fruits. Tastes like a vanilla bourbon truffle with a sprinkle of espresso. Coffee flavor comes out in the finish in what is otherwise dominated by bourbon, molasses and vanilla. The taste of Tuesday lingers for over a minute after each sip is gone. Taste buds are saturated and nearly overwhelmed by the depth of flavor. Mouthfeel is thick and rich, but lightened by adequate carbonation. Considering the 19.5% abv, the drinkability is silly. An amazing beer that is the best of its style.

11-07-2009 04:10:40 | More by JRhode
erz316

Indiana

If my memory serves me right, there are five excuses for drinking: a house guest arriving, being thirsty at the moment, having a thirst to come in the future, the innate goodness of beer, or, really, any reason of which you can think. (thus is my liberal interpretation and translation of a Pere Sermond)

This has been outside all day, so it should be about 50° F. poured into my la fin du monde tulip glass.

What music to listen to when reviewing such an epic beer? Bach's chaccone, bvw 1004? no, too solemn. Dark side of the moon? No, I'm not getting high after all. Some Monk? No, I need to conjure grandeur, not cool. I think such a beer deserves the most epic song of them all: The Final Countdown. Yes, that will do. Now, where's that repeat button?

A - this beer is a freakin' black hole! Charon denies any light entrance into this stygian glass of ambrosia. pitch, tar, midnight, whatever you want to call it, this brew is as black as Medea's child-killing heart. the liquid itself pours at a seemingly reasonable viscosity, no the motor oil that dark lord is. the head is the perfect colour, it is a perfect medium-dark tan colour. the head is big, aforementioned, and quite light, not creamy at all. the head slowly fizzes down, begging me to fill in the gap left in the tulip; i indulge my new mistress with her request. a solid 1cm layer of foam stays on the top of the beer at all times.

S - the smell is more intense than Frank Dux fighting in the kumite. the nose hits you in the face like a ton of bricks: top notes of booze, bourbon, and oak; middle notes of molasses, prunes, burnt sugar; the base notes are of huge dark malts, roasted and excellent and a slight vinous hint. the sheer power of the oak and whiskey can be overwhelming, it's like they made a barrel out of the mighty Pelian ash itself, or out of all the grandest trees on Mt. Ida. if nothing else: it smells like i'm in an alcoholic cooper's shop. the sheer amount of booze and the need to sift through this bastion of an aroma might be a turn off for some, it might be too much for their noses, not I: I have suffered my body day and night, depriving my self of food and sleep, toughening my body to prepare for the romance of this beer (not really though). for whatever it is worth: styles aside, i can still say I prefer the nose of W.12, but that is probably because I like Belgian styles the most; this beer hold a firm grasp on second place.

T - the taste, oh the taste! I think I have a new favorite stout, yes, indeed I do! Drinking this beer is like taking a bite out of barrel, but one made of deliciousness. That wasn't very descriptive now was it? Let's try that again: if you could encapsulate the experience of getting a bj while holding in one hand my Svend Bang tiger stripe pipe with a bowl full of balkan sobranie aged since the 80's stripe pipe, a glass of '26 Macallan in the other hand (pick any drink you please if you dont like scotch), while having just won the world poker tour on the top turret of Schloss Neuschwanstein. Crude? yes. Accurate? I believe so. Now, onto the taste. the initial taste is a powerhouse of flavours: vanilla, bourbon, oak, malts, fermenting fruits, and some some maple syrup. the alcohol (which I find hard to believe is so high) really does a number on the palate, and I love every second of its burning fury. the finish burns like Troy in the hands of the Danaans. the finish too is hugely boozy, burning, savory with a big molasses aspect and slightly sweet like prunes. a fitting finish for such a beer. the brew doesn't expand in taste like some others, it stays pretty much the same in the taste, the only thing changing is the alcohol, which is what I wanted: the booze in the initial is generally burning (if you hold it in your moth for long enough), but in the finish, pending on how long you kept it in your mouth, can be burning or an amazing dry fruity experience. Some coffee like flavours come out as well in this finish, particularly in the acidic bitter way that coffee tends to finish. the aftertaste is completely different; true it still is a large part of oak and booze, there is a definite chocolate, coffee, caramel/brown burnt sugar aspect that jumps out. having such dynamism in a beer is what makes the few and the proud full score brews.

MF&D - the carbonation is a bit low on this guy, but I find it enough for something with so much flavour and booze. the lack of carbonation is justified when one realizes the body isn't like a motor oil, it is thiner, and thus to get that syrupy feel some absence of carbonation is required. drinkablility? oh man, for a beer with 19.5% abv this brew is like drinking silk. the booze never chokes me up, never makes me gag, it goes down with its lovely burning and thats the end of that. it is a masterful piece of brewing and I wish that I could have regular access to such a prize of a beer.

11-06-2009 01:11:52 | More by erz316
Bankhead

mardi noir poured from a bottle for me and my wife as a final halloween weekend treat

i let her review kate so now she's reviewing this:

"this is my new favorite beer"

"i wish every beer was like this"

"tastes so fucking good"

for my take just read my chocolate rain review but pretend that it's also perfectly carbonated with malted milk ball head and lace and that the fudgyness and vanilla sweetness are replaced by deep savory port port dessert wine badassosity

worth the wait and glad i got to try this batch fresh

11-02-2009 02:01:46 | More by Bankhead
portia99

4.6/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

750ml bottle purchased at the Bruery release on 10/27/09. Poured into a Bruery tulip.

A - Deep and dark almost pitch black, the slightest of brown highlights when held to the light. A thin cappucinno head that disappears immediately and leaves swirling lines of bubbles on the surface and a thin collar around the edge of the glass.

S - Smells of licorice, dark caramel, malt extract, port wine, medium/dark (50% cacao) chocolate, bourbony, a hint of vanilla.

T - A liquid truffle. Sweet, chocolately, smooth bourbon touched, caramel, touch of vanilla, molasses, sugar, brown sugar,. Really complex flavors - great!

M - Thick, syrupy...low carbonation. Sugary sweetness coats the entire mouth. Really good.
Warmth from the bourbon, malty, sugary sweetness - this all just works.

D - Unbelievably drinkable...19.5%, really? Drinks like a much lower alcohol beer. This is unbelievably good stuff. Thinking about cracking a second bottle, but don't think the trading partners who already have this reserved would appreciate that.

11-01-2009 01:18:51 | More by portia99
Arceo

3.25/5  rDev -28.3%

Had on tap at the release party Nov 27.

Poured a nice jet black with small tan head. A swirl of the glass left a thick residue on the side. Awesome.

Smelled of bourbon and dark fruit. I am almost able to get drunk off inhaling this stuff , its so hot..

One sip and you realize this isnt an ordinary beer. There is plenty of stout style flavors in this ; Coffee, chocolate, bourbon, a bit of a grainy flavor as well, like a chewy nutty taste. However the alc% just bites right through all of it at times when i wish it hadn't. The flavors are just too big all around at this time, an d i wonder how this will age.

Mouthfeel is just about right, as is isnt too thick like bourbon county.

One 4 oz taster and i was feelin pretty buzzed, i couldnt drink a whole bottle alone, or even 2 people probably. It's like drinking liquor with alot more flavor than usual.

Overall I am glad i didnt spend 30$ on a bottle because this to me isn't as good as say The Abyss, and thats 12$.

10-30-2009 09:28:32 | More by Arceo
antilogic

4.88/5  rDev +7.7%

On tap at the Bruery both at Allocation sale time, and at release on 10/27. First review deleted due to site problems.

Jet black, opaque, dark tan head, that really sticks to a glass as you roll it around. Smell is bourbon, some coffee, some chocolate, roasted malts, and sugars.

Taste is not overpowering in borubon, which is great; it just adds to the complexity. Definitely some chocolate and a very high amount of sugar considering the ABV. Not much hotness/alcohol. Don't find much oak there.

Carbonation is well done (on tap at least), and is truly necessary to make this a drinkable beer. I'm not one for syrupy beers that are not highly carbonated (not overly fond of 120min or flat angel's share).

If I didn't start to feel it after a few pours, I would not believe the 19.5% ABV. Impressive.

10-29-2009 01:01:27 | More by antilogic
mrbubbler

Appearance: black and syrupy with a dark brown head a couple cm thick.

Smell: bourbon molasses vanilla chocolate and a slight hint of booze

Taste: chocolate bourbon and strong molasses followed by trailing notes of vanilla. this is one hell of a beer. had a fair amount of alcohol burn when it was cold, but after warming up alcohol was barely noticeable

Mouth-feel: thick and a tad bit syrupy. slight carbonation.

Drinkability: Quite amazing how well this drank for being 19.5%.

Overall: This is one hell of a beer. i felt that this beer could never live up to its hype, but i was wrong.

10-28-2009 18:42:52 | More by mrbubbler
Mauerhan

4.9/5  rDev +8.2%

so I was one of the other hundreds of people that flocked to the bruery last night for the black tuesday release. 3 hours and some change later I finally got to try this beast.

poured jet black into my bruery tulip, with an intimidating one and a half finger head floating atop this bad boy that had an exceptional amount of lacing on the glass. light couldn't get through this if it had to. beautiful.

smell is rich and full of chocolate malts, bourbon, wood, toffee, powdered cocoa with a slight hint of booze near the back. I already have a smile on my face.

taste is great from the second it hits your lips. my palate is enveloped in amazing flavors. chocolate bourbon port toffee creamy sugar/toasted caramel. this beer literally elicited a "woah" out of me after the first sip. I am seriously impressed.

mouthfeel is creamy and full. rich and robust. with just the right amount of carbonation to be refreshing. wait a 19.5 percent beer is refreshing...go figure.

If you hadnt told me the abv i wouldnt have been able to tell you what it was. remarkable. I have to admit I was skeptical going into it but I would gladly say that this beer is worthy of its hype and I really hope more people get to try it.

10-28-2009 18:35:19 | More by Mauerhan
biggied

4.97/5  rDev +9.7%

Apperearance: black w/ slight dark brown head

Smell: bourbon, vanilla, chocolate, brown sugar.

Taste: chocolate, port, bourbon, vanilla, oakiness, brown sugar, caramel, and a malty finish. Complex, balanced, drinkable.

Mouth: Very thick and flavorful all the way down. Not much alcohol taste or burn at all amazingly. Can't believe that this beer is this strong and you can't tell.

Overall: It's the best IS I've ever had. I'm shocked by the abv and it is way more drinkable than any other beer or wine of this strength I've had. More drinkable than many beers of half this strength, perfect score for drinkability.

Serving type: on-tap at the Bruery release

10-28-2009 17:24:59 | More by biggied
srroos

4.97/5  rDev +9.7%

Enjoyed on-tap at the release in a Bruery snifter.

Pours opaque and pitch black, with only a tiny bit of dark brown head. Smell is chocolate, caramelized sugar, and loads of sweet malts, with some bourbon as well. I was glad that the bourbon wasn't overdone. Too much would have ruined the excellent balance of this great beer. Taste is right in line with the aroma, primarily sweet chocolate and bourbon, but again not overdone. The big surprise is that there is no note of alcohol. I'm not sure how there can be nearly 20% alcohol in this beer! This is a big, full bodied monster of a beer, but the carbonation (not high, but appropriate) made it a smooth drink.

I was pleasantly surprised with Black Tuesday versus Chocolate Rain. While the additional blast of chocolate and vanilla in the cask version was wonderful, the carbonation in Black Tuesday balanced the beer out and made it much more enjoyable to drink. I believe I read about someone doing a 50/50 blend, which probably would have been delicious! I wish I would have thought of it.

The lack of head was my only gripe with this beer. It seems quite cold when served, so perhaps if it were poured a bit warmer there would have been more of a head. Regardless, this is one of the best beers I have ever tasted.

There was some discussion at the release regarding aging Black Tuesday, but I'm not sure what it could gain. If the bottles are force carbonated and not bottle conditioned, then they should be ready to drink and I can't imagine this beer getting any smoother.

10-28-2009 17:09:42 | More by srroos
NRa4ever

The pour is black. It was poured straight from the source. I wrapped my nose inside the tulip glass and it smelled like bourbon,molasses, and burnt caramel. So many different flavors that smack you as soon as the beer hits your palate. It is well balanced, and does not feel like a 19.5 alcohol beer. It has an aftertaste that reminds you of a chocolaty licorice(good licorice taste) taste. It is a thick mouthful, causing one to fill a full bodied beer full of sweetness and dark malts. I did not taste any bitterness in the beer, and it still tasted great. If you do not like imperial stouts, then you will probably still love this beer. It is very drinkable, and after one sip the palate craves another drink.

10-28-2009 09:31:15 | More by NRa4ever
slayer3604

4.83/5  rDev +6.6%

A-JET black, with a fat brown head, and some STICKY lacing that reaches for miles on my Bruery glass. Head lasts a long long time, and there are little bubbles of co2 heading up the side of the glass.

S- 2000 servings of nesQuik, bourbon, toffee, mocha, and anise.

T- Incredible, there is virtually no trace of alcohol in this beast, save for a little warming feeling on the far reaches of your palate. absolutely incredible beer. Last time i had a beer of this style and hype i was let down but this one is CARBONATED, but not overly so, and so complex it makes you wonder how a brewery torqued out a beer like this months after it was founded, and released just a year later....wow....mad props to Patrick who I had the honor of meeting at this release.

M- Sticky, foamy, lasting, complex, spicy, roasty, and very deceivingly toxic to your liver!

D- I had no idea a beer of this ABV could be so drinkable but in a tasting i would put this up against a port wine. Gave it a 4.5 because its almost like molasses in the finish.

10-28-2009 08:19:05 | More by slayer3604
womencantsail

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

I feel like such a homer and a feeder of the hype-machine by giving this beer such an amazing review, but I cannot help it. It deserves it.

A: Black Tuesday is jet black and has one of the best heads I've seen. A finger or so of mocha colored foam that has incredible staying power. If it didn't taste so good, it would be great to just look at it in the glass.

S: As one might expect from a beer as big and bold as this, there are great aromas of bourbon, chocolate, roasted malt, vanilla, sugar, and surprisingly mild alcohol.

T: The flavor is strikingly similar to the aroma (no shock there). The huge chocolate and bourbon barrel flavors are the first to knock your socks off. As you continue to enjoy the beer, you pick up on some dark fruits and licorice, along with some sweeter flavors of vanilla and brown sugar. Eventually the alcohol burn starts to creep in as the beer warms.

M: The carbonation on this beer is low, but the bubbles help to keep it from being too heavy and overwhelming. I find it to be a great match for the flavors and the enormous body of Black Tuesday.

D: Well, this could do well to sit in a cellar for about 5 years. But, it's still so wonderful now that I would not turn a serving down. This is one beer that truly has lived up to its hype (for me, anyway) and I look forward to sharing my bottles and my friends bottles whenever we feel so moved. An absolutely world class beverage!

10-28-2009 07:30:58 | More by womencantsail
brandoneast

Reviewing from good notes on Black Tuesday - really wish I could get a bottle of this!! Please beermail me if you see anything interesting to trade for in my gots list.

Had on tap, poured by Patrick Rue @ GABF....a few times by the way. Besides Supplication, this is the best beer i have ever experienced, hands down best Imperial Stout.

Poured black, sucking in the ambient light and showing a mocha head, tight carbonation. Aromas of vanilla, freshly baked - toasted biscotti, some oak, roasted coffee, some dark fruit - cranberry and currants come to mind, roasted pecans. Taste is creamy mocha, vanilla, and oaky bourbon. So well balanced it's sick. Mouthfeel is smooth, chewy, but lends a pleasant viscosity. Not fusel at all, Black Tuesday is 19.5% but drinks like 9%.

So beautifully executed. Patrick is a pioneer and a true alchemist - blending art and science into something that really speaks volumes of American ingenuity.

10-27-2009 20:18:07 | More by brandoneast
paytoplay

4.75/5  rDev +4.9%

Just a couple small samples from the Bruery crew themselves at downtown johnny browns 22nd annv. Huge brew, alc and bourbon are not that noticable esp considering the alc level is 18-19%. Great part is if you ever open one of these you will need several people to share 1 bottle with. Dark rich thick sticky bourbon. like sweetened condensed milk but with stout and bourbon. not that sweet i guess. super complex and it opened up and grew bigger with just a couple minutes in a glass. not sure how / if this will age. hoping a long long time but it's a freak and can't wait to re-rate from my own bottle and the black rain!

10-11-2009 17:08:09 | More by paytoplay
brownbeer

Missouri

4.15/5  rDev -8.4%

Sampled at GABF

Oily black color with no head

Aroma was burnt chocolate cookies, maple, and smoke.

Some of the flavors were tobacco, black strap molasses, chocolate. Quite sweet overall with noticable alcohol but neither were putting us off.

Not much carbontion, viscous mouthfeel with a long, hot, sweet finish.

There was a huge line for this one, worth the wait. Their other beers are also wonderful.

09-29-2009 01:54:29 | More by brownbeer