1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Black Tuesday - The Bruery

2010: 18.2% ABV
2011: 18.3% ABV
2012: 19.2% ABV
2013: 18.9% ABV

(Beer added by: OlieIPA on 07-18-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Black Tuesday Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 476-500 | 501-525 | 526-550  | next › last »
Ratings: 2,112 | Reviews: 542 | Show All Ratings:
bret27

Apperearance: black w/brown head

Smell: rich bourbon, vanilla, chocolate, sweet brown sugar.

Taste: malt, coffee, chocolate, toastiness. plum/prune, port, bourbon, vanilla, oakiness, brown sugar and caramel. Complex, balanced, drinkable.

Mouth: Very thick and flavorful all the way down. Not much alcohol taste or burn at all amazingly.

Overall: The best IS I've ever had. Since it's my favorite style that makes it my favorite beer I've ever had.
I'm shocked by the abv. Way more drinkable than any other beer of this strength I've had, and more drinkable than many beers of half this strength, which is why I awarded a perfect score for drinkability.
I've had KBS, BS, BCS, peche mortel, speedway, stone RIS, and this beats them all.
I have not had darkness, dark lord, or DFH WWS, so cannot compare, but have 2 out of 3 in the cellar so will note on comparisons when I pop them.

09-28-2009 20:04:21 | More by bret27
jcalabre

4.97/5  rDev +9.7%

I have had this on tap at The Bruery four times now.

IMO, this is World Wide Stout meets the bourbon barrel.

no shock to anyone, this pours black, with lots of bourbon, vanilla, brown sugar and other flavors. It's complex, tasty, and basically great. The smooth chocolatey flavors of the stout are complemented wonderfully by the vanilla/oaky bourbon barrel notes. This is an extremely well crafted beer.

08-17-2009 04:12:59 | More by jcalabre
BMan1113VR

4.9/5  rDev +8.2%

I am more of a RB guy than a BA guy, but I feel this beer must be appropriately explored on both sites. I have been blessed enough to have this beverage at least 15 to 20 times by now. Simply a glorious beer! Originally on tap at the brewery (Bruery?) Pours with a large brown head over a black body. Alcohol legs, brown coating and lace all left behind on the glass. Aroma of tar, chocolate, vanilla, bourbon, dark fruits, and caramel. Taste is dark fruits, tar, bourbon, oak, candi sugar, plums, tobacco and bitter chocolate. Extremely long duration. Super viscous mouthfeel, light carbonation, amazing! Hides alcohol immensely well, does not taste or go down like 19.5% (not even close)! Really looking forward to the bottles. Fantastic beer. I never thought I could find a single beer from them better than Melange #3, but it turns out that a comment of that beer was better than the sum that made Melange Numero Three!

08-14-2009 07:54:35 | More by BMan1113VR
RobH

Maryland

Quite simply the absolute best Imperial Stout that has ever graced my tastebuds!

Poured into a tulip glass, it presents an alluring visual sea of rich, dark liquid as expected of this style.

The treat really begins with the first twirl of the glass lifting toward the nose. Beautifully balanced and not overpowering, essences of bourbon and dark fruits and toffee envelop the olfactory glands with delight.

This beer seems to present only the finest characteristics of the aromas presented, all working together in harmony. There is nothing harsh. No overpowering alcohol. You would never know from the aroma that this liquid is 19.5% ABV.

On to the flavors, where this beer is a form of liquid black gold. As with the aromas, the flavors present a perfectly balanced dance of dark fruits and dark chocolate/toffee enhanced by mild woody bourbon notes that give it an elegance without any off-putting bite. No harsh alcohol whatsoever.

This beer invites sip after sip. It draws you in with an addictive presentation of symbiotic flavors; all of which are meant to be there. It is world class.

If you live in SoCal you must visit the brewery (The Bruery) to taste this beer. If you don't live there, book a ticket and fly there to taste this beer! Anybody can go to Disneyland. This is the magic kingdom of Imperial Stouts!

Rob

08-11-2009 12:51:51 | More by RobH
Thorpe429

4.7/5  rDev +3.8%

Served on tap at the Bruery on August 9, 2009 in a "Bruery" tulip glass.

A: Very dark and thick with a thin tan head that stayed that way throughout. Nice legs on the sides of the glass.

S: Deep notes of coffee, dark chocolate, vanilla, oak, bourbon, some dark fruits, and hints of brown sugar sweetness.

T: Very similar to the nose and very, very strong-tasting. The alcohol is present, but is certainly not overpowering, blending in quite well.

M: Quite smooth and medium-full bodied. My only complaint at all about this beer is that it could have been a little more fuller-bodied with a more creamy texture.

D: Exceedingly drinkable. A four-ounce pour is not nearly enough. It's too bad the pre-orders were all filled up, but I'm incredibly happy that I ended up in Orange County at just the right time!

08-10-2009 05:38:47 | More by Thorpe429
jgap

4.95/5  rDev +9.3%

On tap at the brewery- sad to see allocations are done. Smell is huge bourbon, oak, and sweet cocoa. Ripe, dark fruit. It's black, slightly viscus with a nice lace. Taste is amazingly smooth. It's silky on the tongue, not thick at all but very smooth. I could drink A LOT of this. Taste is ripe raisin, some prune and other ripe fruits followed by a sweet cocoa and then a slight bitterness. I don't pick up much alcohol in the finish at all- quite amazing... Lives up to the hype

08-09-2009 21:38:38 | More by jgap
mikedashg

4.9/5  rDev +8.2%

On tap at the Bruery 08/02/09 before the official release.

A - pitch black, fairly thin tan head with some light lacing.

S - dark fruits, figs, dates, prunes, bourbon, apricot

T - Very complex. Coffee, chocolate, roasted maltyness, smokiness, dark fruits: like figs, prunes, dates, vanilla, sweet, brown sugar, oak and of course, the ever prominent bourbon backing.

M - Pretty slippery on the tongue, but also coats your tongue. Low to moderate carbonation.

D - ABV is EXTREMELY well hidden. And not to sweet like most high ABV beers. Although this is IS a little bit sweet for a stout, it's very balanced. A little hot, but not what you'd think, it's scary drinkable. I would compare this to GI BCS, but a ton more complex, higher ABV, and more drinkable.

08-04-2009 08:06:29 | More by mikedashg
EliottJW

There's no reason for me to get long winded with this. I should recognize that everything has NOT been said about this beer so far, but that's it's draw - it's unbelievably complex. so far the norm on this is giving an essay length review, and it's TOTALLY warranted. This beer is hands down amazing.

I think I got a LITTLE short changed on the 4oz pour, but there was no need to complain, it was just as attractive and worth it as it would have been otherwise. pitch black with a tight, almost sandy in consistency head. after receding, a twirl of the glass would cause the crown to mimic the look of a nebulous cloud... really an awesome looking beer whose nose, taste, mouthfeel and overall drinkablility agreed with the look of it completely.

smelled caramely, nutty and sweet like molasses. the balance on this beer between the bourbon and malts was truly remarkable. full, creamy and completely masking the size of this beer, no one has exaggerated even a touch.

I liken this beer to GI BCS... only 20x more drinkable... if you can believe it. I had to ration myself on the size of my sips as it was going down so unbelievably smooth.

if the bottles end up as the draft did, this beer is truly worth the hype... and if this were ebay, I would leave feedback saying "Great beer! Would do business again! AAA+++".

and it looks like I got a little lengthy anyway... sorry.

08-04-2009 01:24:01 | More by EliottJW
callmescraps

4.68/5  rDev +3.3%

The hype train is officially leaving the station. I am hopping on board.

Appearance - Black. A dark sky on a stormy night at sea. The absence of light. It has a very nice mocha colored head that even seems to have a little froth. The head sticks around and gathers at the bottom of the glass when finished. It looks fantastic. Of the RIS I've head, this might be the finest looking one.

Smell - Wonderfully complex. Lots of vanilla. A hint of bourbon as well. Also, it seems like a little oak and smoke. The slightest glimmer of coffee and roast malt. Definitely some chocolate. Finally, toasted marshmallows. I agonized over this score for about fifteen minutes. It's no worse than a 4.5, that's for sure.

Taste - Where to begin? Cherry. Also, lots of that vanilla. The oak and smoke makes the tiniest appearance. There is the bourbon as well. About a hundred flavors I'm not quite identifying. There is a real sweetness, it's like the sweet roasted marshmallow. I swear there's some honey in there. There is a tiny fraction of roast malt bitterness on the end that is less than desirable.

Mouthfeel - Superb. It's about the richest, creamiest, most decadent thing imaginable. It's like hot chocolate. But there is enough carbonation that it's not a flat mess. Coats the tongue. Lovely.

Drinkability - I flat out refuse to believe that this is almost 20% alcohol. That's half as strong as vodka. The only reason I might believe it is because I felt a little tipsy afterwards. This shit is lethal. Smooth as hell.

Damn. I wanted to not really like this beer, and here I sit. There are three things I really can't debate. 1: It looks great. Not quite sure how a RIS could possibly look better. 2: The mouthfeel is fantastic. Even the lady friend who never notices that sort of thing said, "you have to mention how great that mouthfeel was!" 3: It may be impossible to have a more drinkable 20% beer. If anything, I may be selling this short. I'm going to re-review when I get my bottles when there isn't so much hubbub.

But it's a hell of a beer. (Edit: It was obviously on-tap. I have corrected that.)

08-02-2009 06:53:42 | More by callmescraps
kbm

Arizona

4.9/5  rDev +8.2%

On tap at The Bruery. The beer is black as night with a decent amount of carbonation. Decent tan lacing. I really hope this level of carbonation shows up in the bottled version.

Surprisingly drinkable for 19.5% abv. I certainly could split a 750 bottle with a friend. The finish comes off slightly sticky sweet bourbon with heavy maple and vanilla (very similar to many the after taste of the Bruery other barrel aged beers). The sweetness leaves me anticipating the next sip.

I think this one is destined for greatness.

(Update: After opening the bottle version of BT, I hereby renew my enthusiasm for Black Tuesday. It's by far my favorite imperial stout. I actually think the bottle version was a little better than the tap.)

07-30-2009 19:18:29 | More by kbm
Floydster

4.9/5  rDev +8.2%

Have had a few four ounce glasses at the Bruery in the past few weekends, served in their tulip glass, color is pitch black with not a glimmer of light anywhere, thick sludgy looking stuff, big 1 1/4 inch tan to medium brown foamy and creamy head, good lacing at first, head did not budge for close to five minutes, aroma consists of molasses, oak, rich dark chocolate, some mild coffee, roasted malts, mild port, tobacco, vanilla, sweet cocoa, prunes, burned caramel, and bourbon, flavor starts off with a big oak, taste, some sweet chocolate and vanilla in the middle, finish has a nice syrup taste mixed with tons of oak, bourbon comes through later on more pronounced but nothing major being a hair under twenty percent, easily the top three best tasting beers I have had of this alcohol content, some brown sugar and complex malt flavors come out as it continues to warm, almost like a marshmallow flavor by the end, very creamy with minimal booze in the flavor somehow, dry, roasted, bittersweet, oaky, and chewy mouthfeel, full bodied, very soft carbonation, taste lingers incredibly well, best mouthfeel for a stout that I have come across, drank this with no problem at all, cannjot explain how the alcohol is hidden well but it drinks like a beer maybe have of its ABV, not heavy at all, could down a 750 ml bottle and probably will at a later date, amazing drinkability, one of their best brews yet and that is sure saying a lot, the story about this beer is almost impressive as the beverage itself, this thing is going to age wonderfully too, good thing I was able to get a bunch of bottles to experiment with that, will be drinking again sooner than later, highly recommended

07-30-2009 00:32:44 | More by Floydster
gregmoscetti

4.97/5  rDev +9.7%

19.5%. It is absurd how delicious and drinkable this beer was considering its beastly nature. For such a booze bomb, I was left with a very refined taste. One of if not the best imperial stout I have ever had. I really hope the bottle holds up to the draft.

I can say that the Bruery hadn't impressed me until my trip there in which I got to try Black Tuesday, White Oak and Papier. I am a believer.

07-27-2009 05:26:21 | More by gregmoscetti
RodBurg

Missouri

4.55/5  rDev +0.4%

Had at the Bruery Provisions during a homebrew club meeting. Extremely viscous and opaque black. Minimal light seeps through the edges in a brown tint. Small head is dark brown and leaves a surprising amount of lace for such a high alcohol brew.

As expected, nose is full of roast malt, chocolate, and coffee. Lots of honey, bourbon, soy sauce, and sherry-like oxidation notes.

Very thick, coats the palate. Huge taste of honey and sherry. Lots of roasty coffee and chocolate coupled with notes of bourbon, oak, and a warming alcohol finish.

This is one big beer. Insanely complex and tasty. Obviously, this one's a sipper.

07-22-2009 15:07:55 | More by RodBurg
GRG1313

4.8/5  rDev +6%

I'm reluctant to review since I'm throwing in an opinion consistent with those before me! In summary, an all around winner destined for stardom!

I buy into the hype of the "rare," "hard to get" "big alcohol," "one of a kind" stuff as much as the next person. Thus, after driving Steff crazy with e-mails, I'm sure, (and in which she basically said if you want to try it..come down and try it! lol...) I drove down today. Candidly, I've been disappointed, a bit, in some of these hyped, huge alcoholic stouts and "stout type" brews. I am a big fan of "the extreme." I love the huge hops and I love the big, bold stouts. I like 'em all but those are my favorites.

I was ready to taste Black Tuesday, say I did, and then move on. Well, hold your horses...this one is the "real deal."

Thick and viscous out of the bottle the nose hits you with vanilla, whiskey, brandy, dark cherries, vanilla, sweet espresso and sweet Turkish coffee. Wow...

The mouthfeel is like thick cream. It actually initially tastes like you've put a sweet cherried chocolate vanilla carmel bourbon/brandy fudge sauce in your mouth. Then, you get a bit of heat and alcohol, although nothing like the 19+% it is. This is a meal; this is that special dessert; this is simply a gigantic surprise party of flavor, layers and texture.

While we sipped it at the brewery in our 4 oz pour, I was already planning on the meals at which I'd pour this. First meal will be a huge BBQ, although one could pour this as part of any dessert course, including one of the sweetest and darkest chocolate you could find.

Shows like a thick Sherry, Madera or Port. See the prior reviews. So far, everyone's right on!

Only possible shortcoming for me (and the only reason I didn't give it 5s across the board) is that many will not find it appealing with most food and find it a sipping beer. Me? I'll drink this puppy with everything from BBQ chicken and ribs to pecan pie!

We may have a new standard for big stouts;....or, we simply may have a whole new catagory...

07-19-2009 23:11:40 | More by GRG1313
DoubleJ

4.78/5  rDev +5.5%

The bottles won't be released for another three months, but a keg was tapped at the source yesterday. I've known about this beer since May 2008, when me and a buddy sampled this beer when it was still fermenting! Anyways...let's keep the hype train rolling:

Polka dot tan lacing clings to the glass on top the pitch black body. A little paper-thin tan foam caps the body. The aroma...watch out! Very intense, but oh so enjoyable. Very sweet, like vanilla, bourbon, fruit, burnt sugar, and a faint roastiness.

The aroma, combined with the taste, makes this beer a winner. I was first amazed with how well masked the alcohol was. There is a little heat, but it feels more like 10-11% range of a good beer. It's chocolatey, bourbony, woody, burnt sugary, fruity, and a pinch of boozy. The alcohol had a bit of a cherry flavor. An easy mouthfeel keeps things from getting too cloying, but still heavy and lip-smacking good. Slighty boozy, and it never hangs around for too long. Damn...it's a very slow sipper, but I could sip on it awhile.

I was worried this would be like World Wide Stout or Mikkeller Black and be extremely alcoholic with limited enjoyability. Fortunately, that is not the case. Black Tuesday black out the booze and stimulates the taste buds. Indeed, this is marvelous black water. Oh, and don't fret too much if you miss out on a bottle initially, because this beer will be brewed again in the future.

07-19-2009 03:42:44 | More by DoubleJ
Raugupatis

4.9/5  rDev +8.2%

My real-world alter ego joined Overlord's real-world alter-ego for the opening day of this fine brew. I am exceptionally grateful that he invited me along.

My initial thought was that a 19.5% brew was going to feel like the bourbon barrel in which it was aged.

I could not have been more wrong. This lives up to the hype.

I caught a bunch of cocunut on the intial taste that mellowed out to the beautiful nut and cocoa flavors.

07-18-2009 22:36:24 | More by Raugupatis
Halcyondays

On-tap at The Bruery itself, 8oz.,

A: Pours pitch black with a light brown head, spots of lace.

S: Robust smell full of chocolate syrup, coffee and licorice.

T: Big flavours, heavy on the dark chocolate, molasses, licorice, anise and mocha. Bourbon barrels come in and add touch of vanilla, wood and cinnamon spice. Pretty much perfect for what an imperial stout should taste like.

M: Full-bodied, thick and viscous, but incredibly smooth and balanced. No heat from the alcohol is astonishing, but something I've come to expect from The Bruery's big beers. Dark Lord is the only beer I can recall having a comparably big mouthfeel.

D: Aside from Partridge in a Spice Tree this is my favourite beer ever from The Bruery, and it will actually be available for more than a weekend. I can't really find a fault with this beer. So easy to drink for its style, it should be illegal. It's hard to say $25 or $1/oz. for a bottle of beer is even a good deal, but for this one it's a steal.

07-18-2009 17:13:23 | More by Halcyondays