Black Tuesday - The Bruery

2011: 18.3% ABV
2012: 19.2% ABV
2013: 18.9% ABV
2014: 19.7% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Black Tuesday Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,244 | Reviews: 631
4.32/5  rDev -5.1%

I got a pretty small pour of this one as it was split many ways at the tasting, huge thanks to the man who brought it. In all honesty, I don't know if I'd even want more than a couple ounces. The aroma is all sorts of heady, with tons of bourbon, chocolate, and sugar going on. The taste is similar with lots and lots of sweetness. Some underlying chocolate and vanilla from the bourbon. I've said it before, but never has it applied more - this one's a sipper. The first thing that came to mind for me was the similarity to bourbon county stout just from the full-on rush of sensation. The tastes are similar (although this one's a little more sweetness and chocolate and a little less outright bourbon) and since I'm a huge fan of BCS that can only be a good thing. Glad I got a chance to try this very special beer.

Opened this bottle and shared it with friends. One including BA DwnTwnBwn and ebingen.

A - pours a viscious thick black. As I poured it into my tulip, the oily slick beer grabs the inside of the glass as it pours in. A nice inch of tan bubbly head stays at the top. Not much lacing, but the beer leaves a constant thin head at top.

S - chocolate, bourbon, sweet molases. All those flavors and more come in the nose. So much going on. Another wiff hints of coffee ad licorice. Amazing.

T - wow. So much going on in this beer. First taste hits with brown sugar. After that comes slight coffee. Then, the hint of dark melted chocolate blasts it's way in and is followed by the taste of ripe cherries. Damn, the flavor profile contues to develop as it warms. Bourbon now, slight vanilla, a pleasing bourbon burn pleasantly coats your throat at warmer serving temperature. This beer is a slice of heaven in a glass. What you expect in such a strong, viscous complex stout is here.

M - perfectly carbonated. This beer is thick, chewy, and sharp. The beer fills up your mouth, and the flavor explodes with the sticky beer hitting every flavor receptor. Perfect.

D - for a 19.5% abv beer, the drinkability is threw the roof. So damn drinkable. Every sip males me want more. Can't get enough.

O - wow, even better than the first time I had this beer. So good. Something everybody should try.

Thank you abecal98 for sharing this heaven sent beer.

A - The beer pours a complete Obsidian black. Its beautiful how it seems to not only adsorb light but it reflects it, much like the rock. Amazingly small bubbles in dark khaki head

S - Starts off a clean sweetness deep dark chocolate the a wonderful black cherry. Back round notes of honey and vinilla come through as well.

T - Perfect complexity dark dry chocolate that moves to dreamy dark fruits. Roast malts and bitterness finish n an ever satisfying finish. There are subtle notes of Vanilla and Honey which enhance the flavor profile. As the beer warms it brings out further surprises of Bourbon and oak. The Honey and sweet malt stand up a bit more but the chocolate and cherries still stand on top.

M - Even well balanced medium body, thick flavor ebbs to a soft finish

O - The reason for the perfect review is because of the vibrancy of each flavor and its how each note does not over power the next. This is one of the best beers I've ever had.

4.34/5  rDev -4.6%

Thanks to stevemcqueenjr for bringing this bottle out east!!
A - Deep, deep reddish brown/black. Tan head.
S - Chocolate, some booze, Sweet dark malt, dark fruit. Super rich.
T - Some alcohol heat up front, bourbon, dark fruit and licorice.
M/F - Round and pretty thick. Active carbonation.
D - Very tasty and pretty extreme. A good bottle to share with 5 others!

4.97/5  rDev +9.2%

750 ML into a tulip/ Consumed on 10-28-09

Review #200!

P: Completely light-rejecting with barely a few stray bubbles on top, even after an extremely vigorous pour. All that was left was a micro-thin halo on top and some dark brown stains on the side of the glass. After a vigorous swirl, however, I was able to conjure up a 1/2 inch soapy head of dark cappuccino-colored foam. I was really hoping to see a big dollop of foam on top of this beast, but at 19.5% I guess it's understandable. The score reflects my slight disappointment in this department, though.

A: This is, undoubtedly, the best aroma from a RIS I've come across yet! The bourbon isn't at all boozy and messy like some of the other barrel-aged stouts out there. Instead, it's really refined and well-integrated into the rest of the profile of the nose. Other aromas bursting from the glass include: deeply roasted malts, chocolate fudge, maple, wood, vanilla, and dark fruits. Awesome!

T: The first sip reveals an impossibly deep roasted malt bill that just envelops you in its flavor. Oozing from all 20 of the malts supposedly present here is chocolate fudge cake, vanilla, caramel, molasses, leather, maple wood, and of course, bourbon. Much more dark fruits are in here than I expected to find that remind me of dates, figs, and black cherries that add yet more complexity. Once again, the bourbon isn't alcoholic and messy on the palate, but it does warm the back of the throat, chest, and belly with each and every swallow. Finishes sweet and leaves a sweet aftertaste that hangs on for an eternity. If this ain't a 5, I don't know what is.

M: The term "full-bodied" just doesn't do it justice. Black Tuesday is incredibly thick, glassy smooth, perfectly creamy, and absolutely chewy as hell. There is no liquid that has ever passed my lips that even comes close to feeling this incredibly viscous and oily.

Notes: After standing in line for 4 1/2 hours in a dark, cold, wind-swept alley to obtain this beer, I became increasingly skeptical if the beer could ever live to all the hype. As hard as I tried to find a chink in the Black Tuesday armor, the only thing I could come up with was the lack of head after the initial pour. Smells incredible, tastes phenomenal, and makes Goose Island Bourbon County Stout feel like a porter! As for its drinkability, the 19.5% is hidden so damn well that drinking an entire bottle is not nearly as cumbersome as it might sound in theory. No doubt it's a sipper to be reckoned with, but it went down much more easily than I thought it would. Two thumbs way up!

4.62/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I brought this bottle and shared it with friends at beerloco's house on New Years Day.

Appearance: First off let me mention that the appearance experience really starts when you look at the bottle. It's one sexy label. Beer pours opaque with 2 fingers of tan foam that shows some retention and lots of lace.

Smell: Loads of bourbon, molasses, cocoa powder, deep roasted malts (20 of them to be precise!) Really pungent and really impressive. The nose makes you want to just dive right in to the tasting :)

Taste: Huge flavors that are blended extremely well in my opinion. The 19.5% abv pulls a Jimmy Hoffa on you, as it's nowhere to be found! I mean come on, how do you conceal 19.5% alcohol so well? I'm impressed. Loads of bourbon, roasted malt, vanilla, molasses, and perhaps a touch of brown sugar.

Mouthfeel: This one is thick and syrupy but comes off so creamy! Don't let the thickness perturb you as this beer is smooth!

Drinkability: If it wasn't for the well hidden 19.5% abv I'd give this one a 5.0 for this category as well. The flavor profile is great, the mouthfeel fantastic, and you just want more of it each time you sip it!

Believe the Hype!

3.46/5  rDev -24%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Appearance: Rich, dark, pour, incredibly thick. Completely coats the glass, and nice head as well.

Smell: Boozy notes of prunes, plums, brown sugar, vanilla, molasses, and chocolate. Not as much bourbon as I had hoped for although the alcohol is very hot. Definitely thick, but not particularly appitizing. Too sweet.

Taste: The 09 did a good job of hiding the alcohol but in the 2010 the booze smacks you in the face like a freight train. Big booze, plums, prunes, brown sugar, vanilla, tobacco, oak, coffee, chocolate, lots and lots of malt. Biggest negative is that it is way too sweet, which, combined with the over-present vanilla, booze heat, and alcohol thinness, detracts greatly.

Mouthfeel: Thick, but not silk/satin smooth. The 09 was decent but the alcohol in the 10 made it feel too hot and runny.

Drinkability: Hard call here, not drinkable in the sense that you normally think, as in it goes down easy, but it is "drinkable" for a 19.5% beer. However, I am going to go with general drinkability, as "highly drinkable for a 19.5%" beer sounds similar to "particularly tasty meal as far as rusty nails go."

Overall a good brew, but not a stand-out for the style. Certainly the "biggest" but that does not mean "best" as well, at least in my book. A good exercise in over-loading each part of the brewing process with malt and then tossing it in a barrel, but nothing I would need to try again - similar to seeing the bearded lady, etc. I've had the 09 and 2010, the 10 was much hotter and the alcohol made it feel thin.

4.87/5  rDev +7%

Cracked open my bottle with a few fellow BAs.

A: Pitch black body with absolutely no light shining through the edges when held to the light. Moderate dark khaki head. Holds on for a short while before forming a slight skim which pools around the edges. Very spotty lacing. You can see legs after a swirl in the snifter due to the high abv.

S: Bourbon dominates the initial nose. You get quite a bit of oak and vanilla as well before sweet caramel, chocolate and coffee take over. A lot is going on here but it is neither muddled nor overwhelming. The nose is in perfect harmony and is a nice prelude to each sip.

T: While the nose is quite impressive... it betrays the depth and complexity of the flavors that treat the tongue. Layers and layers of malty goodness are present here. Lots of caramel, dark chocolate, coffee, espresso, molasses, brown sugar, and some roasted nuts. The nice thing is the subtlety of the bourbon which is present throughout, but is not overpowering with its vanilla and oak contributions.

M: I found this to have the ideal weight. Moderate to heavy body with a nice even creamy silkiness. A nice lingering finish really lets the flavors sit on the palate to be explored.

D: With this much flavor and alcohol, this beer should not be this enjoyable. The bottle was split three-ways and it was divine. A truly amazing accomplishment from the Bruery. The hype was more than met here which is a really nice bonus.

4.69/5  rDev +3.1%

I drank this from a 22oz bottle into my Rochefort chalice for New Years Eve.

The beer is very black, only showing the tiniest bit of brown in the light. The head is dark tan, rises about one finger. It looks full and creamy but it is sadly gone in about a minute only leaving a ring of head around the glass. The lacing is poor as is the carbonation.

The aroma is very malty, sweet and enticing. It smells wonderful and begs you to come back again and again. Vanilla dominates the nose, with notes of candy, and raspberries. This sweetness is balanced out by a touch of oak, bourbon and alcohol at the end.

The tase is very matly as well, extremely sweet to start. There is a ton of vanilla and light chocolate on the front, in the middle you get oak and it finishes with a medium alcohol, specifically bourbon taste.

The feel is little lighter than I'd hope for, not watery but not great. The finish is nice as tickles your throat and warms it up on the way down, totally from alcohol.

The drinkablility is nice, you taste the tiniest bit of alcohol but that's to be expected with a 19.5% abv.

Overall, this beer is very good and definitely lives up to all the hype. The 2009 is drinking great right now, aging does wonders.

4.65/5  rDev +2.2%

Thanks gford217 for bringing this to the amazing tasting at Brick Store Pub last night. Also much thanks goes out to portia99 and sonicdescent for generously hooking me up with bottles. What a treat!
Thick and syrupy pour into a tasting glass - appearance is black with a thin dark brown head.
Smell is heavy on the bourbon but there is also so much chocolate, vanilla and molasses.
Taste is amazing - there is so much going on that it's hard to pinpoint all the flavors. There is obviously a lot of bourbon, chocolate, and vanilla, but in the background there is brown sugar, tobacco, leather, dark fruits (plum, cherry), coffee.
Mouthfeel is exceptional - it's so thick that it coats the mouth very well, and the creaminess is wonderful.
Drinkability is high considering it's over 19% ABV - that is hidden very well. However, I don't think I could drink more than 8 oz of this beer in one sitting. This is a beer meant for tastings since 4oz is plenty.
Overall, this is an exceptional barrel aged stout and one of my favorites now.

4.42/5  rDev -2.9%

Shared this 3 ways so i had a very generous pour courtesy of myself as usual.First impression was thinking this tasted like a 08 Darkness on steroids.Then it seemed more like a 02 DFH World Wide Stout..This one packed a punch in a warming way. Made my ears warm. Heavy syrupy flavors of molasses and grain sugars abound throughout. So many flavors coming through it's hard to pick out at times exactly whats going on. Very good and highly drinkable and hides the 19% alc. very well but does have the warmth you would expect from such a high content. This is more like a liqueur than a beer. Would be interesting to let this one sit for a few years and try it again..I think I will with the other bottles I have! Seek one out and enjoy if your lucky enough to land one.

4.97/5  rDev +9.2%

Well it certainly took me long enough to find the time to crack this one open! I figured christmas night would be just the right time to split this one among the family, though I have to admit I ended up drinking half the bottle myself. Served at around fifty degrees and poured into several tasting glasses, this one was consumed on 12/25/2009.

The pour was brilliant and menacing. Rich and dark as night, no light could penetrate this one at all. Sinister looking with a huge tan head that rose up out of the depths and settled over the top with huge amounts of lacing. At this point I am scared, but I push on.

Aroma is brilliant and huge. Rich bourbon notes are immediatly felt. Just larger then life from the get go. Huge notes of booziness, rich vanilla soaked touches, tons of chocolate and rich molasses like notes, the aroma is soo thick you could drown in it. As I take the first sip I am blown away by how big this is. Decadence is defined in this beer. It is so viscous and huge, it almost defies words. Huge flavor of rich chocolate and huge vanilla and bourbon flavors. For 19.5 percent there was no way at all to tell. Maybe 10 percent or so, but wow. Soo smooth and complex I am completely in awe of this creation.

Overall I am really left rather speechless by this. I had my hopes dampened coming into this one as people have said it was not worthy of the hype, but I beg to differ, it was worth every bit of it. This is quite simply the biggest, baddest, strongest RIS I have ever come across and it deserves its title. Still in awe of this one.

Review #600

Poured into a mini snifter glass.

Pours a small tan head. Decent retention for the small layer. Color is pretty much black, but around the edges it is has copper hue to it.

Aroma: Chocolate, bourbon, vanilla, oak, raisins, cherries, plums. It smells hot, but very nice.

Taste: A little hot off the top. Lots of bourbon. It's not bad fore the high abv. Vanilla, oak, and tons of dark dried fruits: raisins, cherries, and plums. Chocolate and earthy hops.

Mouthfeel: A little hot, huge malty beer. A little creamy as well. Full bodied with a decent amount of carbonation. I was told this beer had no heat with it, but it brings a lot to the table, granted that it should, being 19.5%.

EDIT: After being able to drink a lot more of this beer at the Bruery, I have to adjust my scores. This beer is really amazing and I wanted to keep drinking it. Superb.

Overall, this beer is good, but I can see it getting a lot better with age on it. People claim that the abv doesn't show at all, well I am going to have to call that a lie. There is definitely a fair amount of heat showing in this beer. I will be reevaluating this beer once I get to try it again with some age on it.

4.17/5  rDev -8.4%

Many Thanks to Phil for providing this rarity and for hosting the recent tasting.

An aggressive pour releases liquid as black as Wesley Snipes into my tulip glass, sitting below a tight dark tan head of a half finger height. Black Tuesday has very nice wine-like legs, but no real lacing to speak of.

I could smell the beer as it poured. The aroma is clearly boozy, but it's not very similar to many bourbon-barrel aged beers I have had before. It's sweet with every type of chocolate you could think of in addition to the barrel characters which are surprisingly in the background (balance). Dark, rich 90% cocoa and booze soaked fruits combine with a hints of oily french roast and molasses. These elements are evident in the taste as well, but in generally smaller doses.

Flavor opens up with an intensely sweet chocolate cake exploding with a molten dark choloate interior. Someone asked,

"What's that thing with chocolate inside of another chocolate?"

"Oh, a Truffle?"

"Yeah, that's it!"

This is like the best chocolate cake you have ever had but you bite into it only to discover that there's an even better chocolate cake inside it. Decadent.

Don't get me wrong though, the booze is apparent. It's very noticeable and anyone telling you otherwise probably lives within a 5 mile radius of Placentia, CA. I would guess probably 10-12% abv, which was about what the other tasters mentioned.

Having said that, this is beer actually got worse as it warmed. All of my beer knowledge indicates that the exact opposite should happen, and that deeper flavors and subtleties should erupt as a beer warms to room temperature. As black tuesday warmed, it only became less drinkable (more alcohol apparent) and it's viscous mouthfeel became borderline overbearing. Yes, this is a very drinkable beer for it's (supposed) 19.5% ABV, but you couldn't (read: wouldn't want to) drink more than 3 or 4oz anyway.

Overall, this is a very impressive beer and as much as I want to hate it, I just can't. I am glad to have had the chance to try it, and would recommend that bottles be shared at cooler temps (closer to 40˚F) between at LEAST 6 People.

4.32/5  rDev -5.1%

Boy am I pissed off that this was one of the three reveiws i lost from the weekend crash. Atleast I have notes but this wont nearly be as long. Bottle courtesy of Shogokawanda

A: It was black with only mild amount of dark brown carbonation on top. Not as thick as I thought it would be but still pretty dark.

S: As soon as the bottle was cracked, I could smell milk chocolate. The bourbon was milder than I expected which was good, but there was no real roastiness in the aroma. Sweet chocolate, brown sugar, molasses, and vanilla are also there, but I prefer my stout to have some hint of roasted character

T: I wanted to hate this, i really did, but i couldnt. The first sip was amazing. It started out chocolaty then transitioned to a bit of bourbon with hints of wood coming through and then as it went down, amazing flavors of coconut and almond. Dammit why did it have to taste really good.

M: Good amount of body and definitely thick without being to thick, if that makes sense. The bourbon did add some booziness, but i found that it added to the overall experience of the beer.

D: I, as did others, sat on this one for quite some time. I couldnt even think about having one all to myself, or even half a bottle at that. It did live up to the hype and I am very happy to have had the opportunity to try it

4.65/5  rDev +2.2%

Got a chance to try this awesome beast thanks to ShogoKawada's trading prowess and our "Rush Hour Tasting" of epic magnitudes. I had to back log a bunch of beers so I could write this up for my 200th review as I'm trying to do something epic for each centennial review. My review will be a little less in depth as usual as I was truing to scribble little notes into my notebook and enjoy/savor the awesomeness of the beer at the same time.

A: Super dark rich thick heavy pitch black color. Pours like molasses almost. A light head and carbonation.

N: Nose is loaded with chocolate up the wazzoo, and I'm talkin all kinds of chocolate, bakers chocolate, mild chocolate, dark chocolate, malted chocolate. Some bourbon and oak make their way through it's lusciousness. A little boozy on the nose, but not close to what I would expect for 19.5%. It adds some malty aromas, but not overwhelming.

T: Taste just blows it away. Is so rich and thick. Very sweet with some maple and molasses and a huge malty sweetness. Some bourbon flavor permeates, but doesn't overpower like the chocolate and sweetness. Which brings me to the chocolate. Again, just about every chocolate you can dream of coming out the taste of this. It adds a nice stoutty flavor too with more earthy charred malt flavor. Add some roasted malts to it and you got a nice mix going. Still somewhat boozy but not what you would expect for 19.5%. As it warms more alcohol comes out a bit, the sweetness lessens, your mouth gets used to the chocolate, and some fruity qualities come out. Even a touch of toasted coconut comes through, as well as some fig and plum maybe.

M: So rich and thick my mouth is partying thinking it died and went to beer heaven. It's like liquid velvet blended with the smooth skin of a baby's ass. Some warming alcohol, but not overbearing.

F: Finish is still very sweet, although it seems to lessen on sweetness as it warms but ups the boozy taste. Although I would still put this beer at 10-12% abv so this blend really hides it well. Some bitterness comes out on the finish probably a combination of some hidden hops as well as the earthiness of the starched malts and stout like qualities.

This beer basically lived up to the awesome hype. I was a little worried that it wouldn't, and we all wanted it to bomb out so we could downgrade the score. Instead it did the opposite and made is happy but sad at the same time. I would love to see how this does with a few more years under it's belt. I hope they continue to make batches of this and make higher quantities. The only difficult part of it was the sweetness that was a little overbearing at times, and it was hard to finish, even slowly, but that just pushes the sipping aspect of it, which is very thankful as it masks the 19.5% so well you could just put it back much easier otherwise.

4.18/5  rDev -8.1%

Got this in a trade from a very generous BA. Thanks! My contribution to the Rush Hour Tasting v1.

A- Brown, not black, a deep dark brown, and there's a head! It's about half a finger, the bubbles themselves are brown, and they are thin-walled and stick like sea foam.

S- Mild coffee astringency, sweet brown sugar, caramelized/molasses, a bit of bourbon as well.

T- BOURBON! Semi-sweet chocolate. Like a Hershey bar or hot cocoa mix. Molasses, coffee, almond paste. Tastes like a rich chocolate truffle, boozy, of course..

M- This is great... until it warms up. Then the alcohol comes through even stronger. Oppressive, almost.

D- Moderate. A little goes a LONG way. I enjoyed my first glass, and my second glass sat for about 3 hours before I mustered up the strength to finish it.

4.17/5  rDev -8.4%

Big thanks to Hoppymeal for bring a bottle of this to the Kuhnhenn Solstice tasting....obviously this is a white whale for 90% of BA's right now so I was excited to try a sample of this big stout.

poured a 4 oz. sample into a 10oz Kuhnhenn snifter

poured jet black with a small dark tan head that disappated quickly leaving a slight lacing on the glass. Smell is sweet w/ hints of molasses, vanilla, bourban, oak and alcohol. The taste is much of the same. This is a big sweet stout, which is to be expected with such a high ABV. Shockingly enough the booze was fairly well hidden, but the sweetness was a bit much for me and cancelled out some of the subtle flavors that could make this beer great. I think with a few years of aging this could be a spectacular heavy and complex stout. I am certainly glad to have tried this ale...I've always felt as though this was an over hyped beer, but after trying it I can honestly say that it is a supreme effort at a high alcohol stout and reminds me a big of DogFish Head's World Wide Stout which is one of the finest ales to age IMHO. Good Job to the Bruery and I hope to try this one again in a few years when some of the sweetness dies out. Thanks again Derek!

4.15/5  rDev -8.8%

**revisited the 2009 vintage at a recent tasting over the holidays. The flavors and booze have really come together and the alcohol is not as dominant as it was a year ago. I enjoyed my pour much more and went back for another.

Big thanks to Scotty (aka hooliganlife) for bringing this to our STLHops Tasting and for Mike for hosting. Share among several people...I got a good 5oz pour into my tasting glass.

A - Pours black, slim tan-colored head which disipiates into nothingness. The look turns straight back quickly after the pour. no really lacing or retention to speak of, just midnight black in a glass.

S - Chocolate and boozy notes, some burnt malts, molasses. Mostly a mix of sweet and boozy, kinda messy compared to most other stouts that are considered the "crem de la crem". Nothing near mind-blowing here at all.

T - Chocolate syrup, lots and lots of booze, roasted malts, a hint of oak. The booze pretty much dominates this. Although it's hot, I could not tell that this is 19.5% and if I had to guess, I'd say 12% or so. Although the alcohol is well-hidden, there's still a bunch of it and combined with the sweet notes, it makes this beer messy.

M - Full bodied, a big beer, rich and smooth. Probably the best thing about this beer is the feel. I like the way this coats the palate...it sticks with you.

D - My 5oz (approximate) was way more then enough for me. I was done with this one after my initial taste and I don't think I could have gone back for seconds (or enjoyed it). I've had many other stouts that I consider to be superior to this brew. Although it's good, I don't consider it to be great.

4.42/5  rDev -2.9%

pour was jet black motor oil with a very little cocoa head

huge bourbon, dark cherry, vanilla, licorice, and molasses

very sweet, the sugar lined my gums afterward. lots of bourbon but in a very sweet way, not much heat at all for a 19.5% ABV. bits of molasses and vanilla with slight hints of oak and dark cherry. bourbon and sugar dominates.

hands down the thickest stout i have ever had. it lined my mouth and then some.

i was impressed, it lived up to the hype. the ABV was well hidden although in the back of my head I knew it was there. it was a tad too sweet though, that as the only flaw i found. i would drink this again but with other people. 19.5 will wreck you.

3.46/5  rDev -24%

Thanks to hooliganlife for bringing this to a great tasting.

Ok, let's get down to it.
Poured the most amazing stout I've ever seen, just pitch black goodness. Slight off white creamy head that dissolved quite quickly. Kinda disappointing but I'm sure that's the ABV. Smelled of dark German chocolate cake, deep doses of roasted barley, coffee, bourbon, charcoal, wood, and lots and lots of booze. Taste was really disappointing. I was expecting this beer to make me weak in the knees, instead I got a wonderfully flavored imperial stout overpowered with booze. I know for a beer of this strength you would expect some booze, but I think that the key to any good beer is balance and this beer doesn't have it. What flavors I could pick out were good - chocolate cake, sugary syrupy molasses, oak vanilla, and coffee. Mouthfeel was great for this monstrous beer, I had to scrape the sugar coating off my tongue when I was done. As far as the drinkability, My 3oz pour was plenty, in fact maybe a little too much.

Did this live up to the hype for me? No, not really. I'm glad I got to try it and if I came across the opportunity to trade or buy a bottle for a reasonable price I would, because I'd like to age this and see if a year or two can mellow this out. If the booziness can tone down a little, this beer would be out of this world.

4.18/5  rDev -8.1%

Thanks to Degarth for opening this one at my massive tasting.

A: Very Very dark black pour. Nice tall mocha colored head. Nice retention and some leggy lace.

S: Very bold roasted malt, chocolate, coffee, and bourbon. No real oak or vanilla.

T: Malty goodness, but boy is this sweet. We are not talking darkness 08, but this is a sweet beer. There is tons of chocolate malt, with notes of molasses, dark fruit, and toffee. It is boozy with strong notes of bourbon as well. Once again I don't pick up oak or vanilla. I realize a ton of malt was used here, but it is a bit too sweet for my taste. Would like to see the other components of the barrel as well.

M: Very full in body, rich, sweet, slight boozy burn in the finish.

D: All that being said for 19% it is damn drinkable. Great Great beer, was not epic though.

4.68/5  rDev +2.9%

I've now tried this three separate times, and last night, in celebration of my college graduation (along with my roommate's as well) we had a massive bottle opening, with this being the first.

Appearance: Dark. Pitch black with amber-brown highlights that block all light even from a close source. Among the darkest beers I've ever had SRM wise, it's just darker than dark. Head is a little latent, cropping up at the end of the pour, and lacing thickly as it loosens up.

Smell: Whew, bourbon, chocolate, prune-raisin, cherry, roasted and toasted malts, and a hint of sweetness on the back-end, but predominantly bourbon and chocolate. Boozy character is there as well, but mostly just as more bourbon.

Taste: So, so much smoother than the smell gives the impression of. Bourbon is mellow and soft, accenting the big chocolate, roasted malt sweetness. The dark fruits come in strongly in the aftertaste, and finishes with an intensely complex dark bourbon sweetness. Whew.

Mouthfeel: Second smoothest beer I've ever had, only to its counterpart of Chocolate Rain, which I still think has a better flavor. Carbonation is nice here though, and all three times I've had BT I've appreciated the carbonation's presence in helping add some liveliness to the incredibly thick and heavy body. Still, just so smooth.

Drinkability: It's essentially 40 proof. It's not easy to drink more than a few glasses of this, that's for sure. In that way, drinkability is low. In the way of masking the ABV, seemingly clocking in around GI BCS' 13%, it's eminently so. Catches up to you quickly, too. Altogether, no doubt one of the best beers I've ever had, and I don't even really love bourbon barrel beer. It's not the hype that's made this beer world-famous, but the smoothness, complexity, and fantastic flavors of a beer that clocks in at almost 20% ABV.

4.4/5  rDev -3.3%

Sampled at yet another outrageous tasting over at Dyan's place the other evening. Many thanks again kind sir for cracking open this beauty the other night.

BT pours a blackish brown color with very good head retention and lots of sticky lacing all around. The nose on this bad boy is quite profound, though at least initially, the alcohol was a bit too noticeable. However, that dissipated fairly quickly and I got dark chocolate, milk duds, leather, licorice, dark fruits and a hint of tobacco. Just so much going on with this beer. Flavors on the palate are even better IMHO, with the rich, sweet, chocolate, maple syrup and vanilla front and center. This is a very, very sweet beer, but I never felt as if it was too sweet and cloying on the palate. There's just so much flavor in this excellent beer, and that flavor profile is huge and intense. Mouthfeel is very rich and sweet, with a long, long finish. Carbonation is fairly low, which works well with this beer. Drinkability is the only area where I feel as if I have to deduct some points. This beer is so sweet and boozy, I cannot imagine drinking more then 4 or 5 ounces at a sitting. We split Dyan's bottle amoung 6 good size guys, and we could barely polish off the bottle. It's absolutely the sort of meal that I'd want to drink after a beer (weak joke there), and then only a splash in a nice size brandy snifter.

A couple of thoughts about this beer. This is an extremely impressive beer, one that was an absolute treat to sample. That being said, it really doesn't have any place in my life. Like the DFH WWS and 120 IPA, this is the sort of beer you can drink once in a blue moon, with no need for repeated applications. Not sure when, if ever, I'll want to try this beer again.

3.32/5  rDev -27%

I've been looking forward to trying this beer since it's been so hard to get. These California traders really have this beer nailed down. I couldn't get any of this beer in a trade, so I bought my bottle from the website that BA won't let me mention here.

Appearance: Really dark chocolate-like but the opacity dissipates into a brown hue if you angle the glass and look through the light making me think it's more of a porter than a stout.

Putting my nose down to the rim of my snifter glass, the bourbon is too pronounced which overpowers the chewiness, fruitiness, and chocolate smell. It smells sweet like cherries and dark fruits but I can smell the alcohol coming through.

This taste like bourbon soaked chocolate covered cherries, raisins, figs, bready, lots of flavor but the mouthfeel is thin which the appearance hinted at. Something about this beer reminds me of an aged World Wide Stout with bourbon-added but not integrated well.

I honestly didn't finish my bottle. Two glasses was enough for me. I'm glad I had friends that I was able to share this bottle with. Because of that, I consider it's drinkability to be low. This would be better as a sipper for an after dinner drink like how ports and liqeuers are served with dessert or by the fireplace.

All in all, there's some complexity here to make it one of the higher-rated beers but don't be fooled by the hype, which sadly may be its downfall. If you get a chance to try this beer, I suggest you ignore the hype and approach it without expectations for what it is.

Black Tuesday from The Bruery