Black Tuesday - The Bruery

2014: 19.7% ABV
2015: 19.9% ABV
Reviews: 625 | Hads: 3,395
4.5/5  rDev +0.4%

Absolutely spectacular stout. Sweet, dense, creamy and one of the best stouts out there. Incredible balance between chocolate, coffee and vanilla. A definite sipper. Wish I could get some more. The only way to improve this would be to age it with cacao nibs and vanilla.

4.87/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This ranks up there with Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Proprietor's Stout. Got to share this awesome Bruery's Black Tuesday at a Alchemist Heady Topper tasting that I did in Chicago on 6/5. After the Heady Topper was gone, the guests dragged out the Bruery's Black Tuesday bomber and a couple of 12 ounce bottles of the Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Coffee Shout.
Both beers were top of the line brews, but I would give the edge to Black Tuesday. Just a total joy to consume; especially with all my new friends that came to share my Heady Topper Tasting.

4.26/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: Brown(ish)/ pitch black color…Vanishing (next to no) head and no lacing

S: Syrupy if you will: caramel, vanilla, & dark fruits. As well as bourbon and some chocolate

T: Dark fruits, vanilla accompanied by a coffee/dark chocolate texture. The bourbon & booze content is there, but I wouldn’t say it’s overwhelming.

M: Soft, easygoing, comfortable, and particularly smooth are the adjectives I’ll use to describe what most 19% beers are not.

O: When drunken leisurely, you’ll find this to be quite scrumptious…Definitely in there with the top of its class, when taken into consideration the content and style of the beer.

4.59/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Opened a 2013 bottle. Shared with friends.

A- pours pitch black with little head that fades, no lacing.

S- At first open and pour there were faint chocolate notes giving way to dark fruits and booze as it warmed.

T- Served slightly chilled, dark fruits and slight chocolate notes. As warms dark fruit and booze start to come out becoming very prevalent.

M- very thick, fills the pallet and goes down smooth.

O- this was well worth the KBS I traded for it. This easily goes up with the best barrel aged stouts easily available each year.

Had to adjust my rating here. The fact that this is a really good beer is completely overshadowed by a pretentious, conceited brewery with rude employees. Unfortunate, but that kind of pretentious nonsense is repulsive to me. Lots of great beers out there, enjoy it if you want, then move on...it is not all it is made to be. Overpriced...

Enjoyed a bottle of this with my brother on 19 April 12. We chilled the beer for a while, but probably cooled it down a little more than we should have. I prefer some of these bigger stouts with a slight chill, and sometimes close to or right at room temperature. This beer started out really strong on alcohol...the alcohol almost overpowered the flavor and taste of the beer. We probably took about 25-30 minutes to go through the bottle, and by the time it warmed up closer to room temp it was getting really, really good. The last sips were the best. I have another bottle of BT and will be drinking it a lot closer to room temp (60 degrees or so).

A: pitch black
S: Licorice, alcohol, figs, molasses
T: See above, at cooler temps alcohol smothers underlying flavors, takes away from the beer
M: silky smooth, very thick
O: really nice...can't wait to enjoy another!!

4.76/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Pours out dark as night with a two finger, beige head with decent retension and little lacing.

Smell is dark malts, lots of chocolate, and a little tiny bit of booze that hard to notice.

Taste is tons of dark malts, tons of chocolate like no other beer I have tasted, definitely a little heat but nothing that I don't like as I love to drink bourbon clean so this is nothing.

Mouthfeel is huge. Really thick. Maybe the thickest beer I have ever had.

Overall this is a great beer that I have never had and definitely would love to drink again.

4.5/5  rDev +0.4%

Pours much, much thinner than I expected. Looks like cola, but slightly more concentrated, with a thin khaki head. The aroma is chock full of raisins, maple syrup, dark chocolate, coffee, a mild roasty note, vanilla, bourbon, and some toffee. On the palate, the beer feels thin and finishes hot, which is to be expected of an 18-19% ABV beer such as this. However the flavors are rich and intense, with the same notes as evident on the nose.

4.69/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Standard 750mL Bruery bottle, poured into a snifter glass. 2013 bottle.

A: Black. Very little head or apparent carbonation. Almost no lacing. Flows oily.

S: Some roasty-ness, bitter fruits and booze. Sweet too.

T: Similar to the smell. Big boozy beer with lots of biter fruits. Not as much coffee/caramel/bourbon as expecting, but its not lacking. Very excellent. Doesnt taste like 19% either, thats not to say you cant taste the alcohol but it works well, it tastes strong, it works well but doesnt taste like im drinking 19%.

M: Oily and coating. A great thick feel, it coats the mouth.

O: I have had this beer sitting in a beverage cooler for about 5 months, anticipating opening it. I finally opened it, it wasnt what I expected (I was expecting more bourbon), but it was amazing in what it was.

4.24/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A-Black in the glass one finger off white head.

S-Bourbon, lots of it. Some roasted malt, chocolate and slight coffee.

T-Lots of bourbon. Some roasted malt, slight chocolate. The high level of bourbon when fresh dominates any other flavors.

M-Medium to heavy in body, not much carbonation.

O-Just too much bourbon, to alcoholic when fresh. It needs to sit and balance out.

4.45/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks for mlaroche for this bottle.

Review #1000!

Vintage 2010

Pours a wicked dark black color, no light getting through this, not even at the edges, smallish head that fades very quickly and doesn't leave any lacing on the glass.

Huge notes of dark fruit, especially fig and raisin, even has almost a chocolate sherry aroma, subtle hints of wood, bourbon is quite prevalent on the nose as well.

Taste starts out with a bourbon burn, even after almost 4 years of aging this still packs a punch although it's not nearly as bad as when I first tried it a few years ago, quite sticky and sweet although the sugary aspects have also mellowed out and allowed the dark fruit to have a large presence, carbonation is low but more than adequate for this style and is very soft on the mouth, finishes with a very sticky feeling.

To be honest, I didn't care for it the first time. It was way too sugary sweet and burned too much as well. It's still very strong in both of those arenas but have considerably mellowed out and allowed other flavors to come through. Overall, a good choice for my 1000th review as it demonstrates a good usage of cellaring. I think I'll sit on my 2011 bottle until I hit 1100 reviews (at my current pace, it might be awhile).

4.38/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A - As advertised: Black as night

S - Bourbon front and center. Then oak, dark fruits, almost like a chocolate-covered cherry.

T - Bourbon dominates with dark fruits. A really sweet beer, but even after you get past the warming sensation that engulfs your chest, it actually is pretty damn smooth for being over 18% abv.

M - Thick with decent carbonation

O - High expectations weren't quite met, but this is still a good barrel-aged stout. You really need to be a fan of sweet beers to like this one. Served at room temperature this is a bourbon-soaked dark fruit stout with some balls. Very good, but in my opinion (and I can't stress enough: MY OPINION) it didn't live up to it's reputation.

4.35/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

thanks to mtomlins for this - 2013 edition

Appearance - Dark brown colour with a small size frothy head. There is a low amount of carbonation showing and there is some faint lacing. The head lasted for around 3-4 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Malts, chocolate, grains, coffee, wood, booze

Taste & Mouth - There is a below average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts, chocolate, and faint coffee. There is also quite a bit of booze and some vanilla and wood.

Overall - One of the booziest beers I have ever had.. but this is not a bad thing. I was expecting this to be cloyingly sweet, but instead it still manages to remain quite drinkable especially given the ABV - not that sweet at all either. Definitely a good bottle to share and worth seeking out.

4.25/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle: Poured a clear light dark black color ale with a nice dark brown foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of rich thick black chocolate notes with light molasses and some roasted malt is quite sublime. Taste is an incredible mix of thick black chocolate with some roasted malt and some light molasses. Body is quite full with good carbonation and surprisingly no alcohol is easily apparent. Light oak and vanilla notes can also be detected. I was expecting somewhat of a messy overly sweet beers bit this is actually very smooth with plenty of complexity.

4.55/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass and shared with friends
2013 vintage poured 3/2014

Pours a deep dark brown, but still see through which surprised me; short ephemeral brown head. Big nose of chocolate, big dark roasted malts, massive bourbon and vanilla and some hot alcohol. The taste is so smooth and balanced especially for such a big beer, chocolate, vanilla, bourbon, roasted malt. The body is big but doesn’t reflect the 19.5% ABV with low carbonation for a silky smooth stout. Overall and incredible balanced and deep stout, wow!

4.78/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a tulip glass

To preface i was cery skeptical of this beer tasting like straight up liquor because of the alcohol content.

A- jet black with very very little brown head that turns into nothing very very quickly. Man this looks good. Getting lost in its appearance.

S- bourbon. Sweet caramel and vanilla. The chocolate comes through at the end and sits in the nose for a good while. The smell is very very sweet almost like candied soy sauce. Sounds weird but it's very good.

T- chocolate with hints of coffee. The coffee is very faint but the chocolate leaves a bitterness like dark chocolate does on the tongue. Then te bourbon comes in and swirls around the mouth. The booze is hot but it blends so well with the malt and chocolate. The sweetness from the bourbon doesn't overwhelm the flavors at all. This tastes amazing. Can't find anything wrong with the taste.

M- incredibly smooth for a 19% beer. Not much bite from the carbonation either. Can't believe how smooth it is.

O- a very delicious beer that really captures the style. Gotta drink it slow though. Very hard to find something wrong with this beer. If there was anything it would be the heat from the alcohol. But even that is done so well for a beer that is almost 20%. To me this beats out BCS because the sweetness from the bourbon blends way better in this beer. Glad i have another bottle.

3.72/5  rDev -17%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2013 bottle shared by some great people after Hunahpu's Day 2014. Great deep black with some tan head, decent legs, not much for lacing. Hot hot hot. Even with a year on this, the bourbon heat is alive and well. Aroma is boozey up front, vanilla, toffee, and molasses behind that bourbon heat. Taste is also very boozey. I get the vanilla, some faint dark fruit (raisin or something of the like), some good oakiness. Slightly thin in the mouthfeel, but I enjoy the low carbonation and fairly thick body.

4.94/5  rDev +10.3%

This is an outstanding BB beer that lived up to the hype. Black as motor oil this monster comes in at 19.2%. The well hidden ABV sneaks up on you and before you realize it the bottle you shared with a few friends is empty and your stumbling about. I cant say enough about this beer as it is one of the best beers in the style I have ever had. If you like BB stouts this is a no brainer with a fantastic stout backbone coupled with the barrel aging makes this treat Legendary.

Bottom Line: Legendary brew!

4.73/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Shared this on Christmas Eve and it was fitting… it fell on a Tuesday night
Definitely excited for this one and has been on my bucket list

A - Dark as night with a tan finger head

S - Smell comes through as roast, vanilla, oak, chocolate, and bourbon as this barrel really comes through. You would expect this out of the high ABV

T - Definitely the best part of this beer as the bourbon really was not too powerful. The character of the barrels balanced extremely well with the vanilla, chocolate and roast flavors. This is the best 18+% beer I have had

M - Medium bodied for sure with low to minimal carbonation which resounds perfectly with this beer

O - Definitely one of my favorite stouts. I would not put this at the top, but it is hard to improve on this beer. Would love to try the variants some day

4.44/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I'm not a huge Stout fan and really not a bourbon barrel fan but I try to be fair to the tastes and beers I try, like this one.

Smells big and intense yet tasty even to me. Rather intense/big taste but still felt smooth to me over all. The taste, to me, didn't seem to linger on the tongue so long that I couldn't taste anything else, which was a nice difference to me at least. This baby is big and can slap you in the face at 18-19% but if you're a fan of stouts and bourbon barrel aging, definately get this.

4.47/5  rDev -0.2%

A-dark brown black color with a minimal tan head and no lacing

S-dark chocolate, coffee, bourbon, molasses, oak, little vanilla

T-dark roasted malt, coffee, dark chocolate, little dark fruit, oak, little vanilla, bourbon

F-medium body with little carbonation, smooth and a little boozy, but less than one would expect with the ABV

O-enjoyable stout meant for sharing with friends, would drink again

4.44/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

2011 Black Tuesday poured into an Orval glass

A: Black, can't see through it when I hold it up to a light. Two random litte patches of light tan bubbles linger on the surface, other than that there are little signs of carbonation.

S: Booze and chocolate mostly with bourbon and oak being second. I could smell this one the second the seal from the cap broke.

T: Lots of boozey flavor but no burn! Its intense but well balanced out by the chocolate, more of a milky sweeter chocolate, and bourbon. Hints of vanilla and maybe a bit of caramel in the background.

M: Very very thick, maybe the thickest beer I've had up to this point. Its pretty amazing!

O: Seems like this beer is a huge hit or huge miss for a lot of people and I have to say it was a huge hit for me. Its not as sweet as I expected and the alcohol is actually far less detectable than I had anticipated even though it plays a pretty big role in both aroma and flavor. Really nice beer.

4.85/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

General: So I got this at a white elephant gift exchange with our company. Everyone passed it up because they are all liquor drinkers so I was thrilled to pick it up! Poured this into a small tulip for tasting purposes. I live near The Bruery, about 15 minutes away or so and I have a big problem with their beers. They are going bigger and stronger only. There is no intricate 5% ABV beer in the tasting room, only beers above 10% ABV. That's not my style but I'm going review this fairly and not allow my prejudice to get into it.

Appearance: Black as it gets, this is really dark and has a slightly tan head that diminishes quickly.

Aroma: A slight chocolate hint with a bourbon aroma. there is also a big alcoholic aroma to this. It's intricate though at least, there are undertones of caramel and maybe some sort of rock fruit like a prune or something.

Mouthfeel: This is thick, it is almost like it's got cream in it. It's kind of crazy how much booze in this, I can feel a burn the entire way down to the stomach.

Taste: Booze booze booze. What little flavor of bourbon and chocolate is there is really overpowered by booze but that's what this was intended to be so OK. I'm not a big fan of this beer but for someone who wants a big strong beer, this is it.

Overall: Again it's a Bruery beer. I'm not impressed with the flavors that they developed, I'm more impressed that they created a beer that was 18.9% ABV. This isn't my style but I'm not going to give it poor marks because of that. It is what it is, it's a super strong beer that has a slight chocolate flavor with a hint of bourbon.

4.34/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 25 oz bottle into a Bruery snifter glass. Acquired in a trade from vitese, thanks buddy! One of my biggest ISOs.

A- Upon the pour a chocolate brown, translucent stream enters the glass, exhibiting a deep brown body with a 1 finger light mocha colored head that reduces slowly to leave a brown ring of foam. Little lacing.

S- Upfront come big aromas of bourbon, vanilla, maple, and molasses. Upon further evaluation, he background reveals aromas of caramel, toffee, and coffee. I get some boozy aromas every so often, but any 19% beer that doesn't smell like booze is not 19% alcohol.

T- Sweet milk chocolate and caramel upfront, next up next is coffee and a roastyness. Super sweet.. a syrupy fudgyness that coats the tongue. The finish is somewhat roasty, charred. Boozy but not too boozy.

M- Rich, thick, low carbonation. The definition of a sipper.

I was really looking forward to Black Tuesday, and it did deliver. It is on the sweet side, so if you don't prefer sweet stouts this probably isn't for you. I was expecting something more dry like BCBS, but nonetheless the flavor profile worked for what it is. Share this one or split it over a few nights, it's a meal!

4.23/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

9/18/13 bottling date. into a tulip

pours a pitch black with a mild beige head. smell is big on ABV and malts..slight dark chocolate. the taste is very big on ABV and malty....big on the bourbon....huge body...sipper...mild carbonation.

overall very good..lovely

3.79/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I'm pretty sure this was a 2012 bottle, consumed Jan. '14. Dark brown-black pour, no surprise there, topped with a thin brown head that receded to a ringlet; minimal lacing. Aroma was fairly sweet, notes of dark chocolate and vanilla, pretty hot with bourbony booze, licorice, brown sugar, some dark fruits. But the booze was the dominant factor. Fairly sweet up front in the taste (not quite Dark Lord sweet, perhaps), lots of booze, bourbon-soaked oak, bitter dark chocolate, licorice, tobacco, dark fruits, more subtle vanilla, the oak and herbal hops came out a bit more in the finish, and even more so as it warmed. While this was definitely pretty hot and boozy, it still drank fairly well, considering the extremely high ABV. Body was on the fuller side of medium--might as well just call it full--with a slick and somewhat unctuous mouthfeel. A decent brew overall, but doesn't really live up to the hype (welcome to the Bruery). I can get a World Wide Stout at my local shop and experience pretty much the same thing this beer offers (or better), in a better package (aka smaller bottle) and for a better price.

Black Tuesday from The Bruery