Black Tuesday - The Bruery

2012: 19.2% ABV
2013: 18.9% ABV
2014: 19.7% ABV
Reviews: 610 | Hads: 3,284

The Original. Pours black at night. Smells strong, but the flavors on this are spot on. Bourbon soaked raisin sweetness is the best I can do for a simple description. In my opinion, the best part about this beer is the velvety feel! It coats your entire mouth and stays there for a while. If you are looking to try any of the "days" from The Bruery, I would suggest going with this one first. (398 characters)

Thank you abecal98 for sharing this heaven sent beer.

A - The beer pours a complete Obsidian black. Its beautiful how it seems to not only adsorb light but it reflects it, much like the rock. Amazingly small bubbles in dark khaki head

S - Starts off a clean sweetness deep dark chocolate the a wonderful black cherry. Back round notes of honey and vinilla come through as well.

T - Perfect complexity dark dry chocolate that moves to dreamy dark fruits. Roast malts and bitterness finish n an ever satisfying finish. There are subtle notes of Vanilla and Honey which enhance the flavor profile. As the beer warms it brings out further surprises of Bourbon and oak. The Honey and sweet malt stand up a bit more but the chocolate and cherries still stand on top.

M - Even well balanced medium body, thick flavor ebbs to a soft finish

O - The reason for the perfect review is because of the vibrancy of each flavor and its how each note does not over power the next. This is one of the best beers I've ever had. (1,015 characters)

Reviewing from good notes on Black Tuesday - really wish I could get a bottle of this!! Please beermail me if you see anything interesting to trade for in my gots list.

Had on tap, poured by Patrick Rue @ GABF....a few times by the way. Besides Supplication, this is the best beer i have ever experienced, hands down best Imperial Stout.

Poured black, sucking in the ambient light and showing a mocha head, tight carbonation. Aromas of vanilla, freshly baked - toasted biscotti, some oak, roasted coffee, some dark fruit - cranberry and currants come to mind, roasted pecans. Taste is creamy mocha, vanilla, and oaky bourbon. So well balanced it's sick. Mouthfeel is smooth, chewy, but lends a pleasant viscosity. Not fusel at all, Black Tuesday is 19.5% but drinks like 9%.

So beautifully executed. Patrick is a pioneer and a true alchemist - blending art and science into something that really speaks volumes of American ingenuity. (939 characters)

2014 vintage. Poured into a wine glass. Absolutely incredible. lots of dates, raisins chocolate, bourbon, charred oak and sweet molassas in the nose. the taste is true to the nose. Bourbon chocolate and sweet raisins. it's a sweet beer but not overly sweet. this absolutely blew me away. i can not smell or taste the alcohol for the 19.7%. I would have to say this is the best bourbon barrel aged imperial stout I have ever had. (429 characters)

There's no reason for me to get long winded with this. I should recognize that everything has NOT been said about this beer so far, but that's it's draw - it's unbelievably complex. so far the norm on this is giving an essay length review, and it's TOTALLY warranted. This beer is hands down amazing.

I think I got a LITTLE short changed on the 4oz pour, but there was no need to complain, it was just as attractive and worth it as it would have been otherwise. pitch black with a tight, almost sandy in consistency head. after receding, a twirl of the glass would cause the crown to mimic the look of a nebulous cloud... really an awesome looking beer whose nose, taste, mouthfeel and overall drinkablility agreed with the look of it completely.

smelled caramely, nutty and sweet like molasses. the balance on this beer between the bourbon and malts was truly remarkable. full, creamy and completely masking the size of this beer, no one has exaggerated even a touch.

I liken this beer to GI BCS... only 20x more drinkable... if you can believe it. I had to ration myself on the size of my sips as it was going down so unbelievably smooth.

if the bottles end up as the draft did, this beer is truly worth the hype... and if this were ebay, I would leave feedback saying "Great beer! Would do business again! AAA+++".

and it looks like I got a little lengthy anyway... sorry. (1,380 characters)

I have had the pleasure of having this beer both on tap as well as out of the bottle. It is amazing both ways. The most recent time was a couple nights ago we opened a bottle for a friends birthday. The beer was a beautiful dark chocolate color with a nice head to it. All of the aromas from chocolate to bourbon were present as you take your sip from the glass. Even though the ABV is about 19, it goes down smooth and without a bite. Personally I am not a stout drinker, but this is the best beer I have had. It is fantastic! (527 characters)

Black Tuesday. It exposes English for the failure of a language it is. No words capable of the profound expression needed.

The ancient Chinese have a symbol. Unpronounceable, but which I have always referred to as The Xa. The Xa is the very concept of inexpressibility. The Xa transcends language and evokes emotion, raw and true.

Black Tuesday is The Xa. A beer which has profoundly impacted my life. With but a single sip, all prior culinary experiences became dull and meaningless by comparison.

Appearance: Black. Impenetrable darkness. A thin brown head, the only sign of life beneath the murky depths.

Smell: Chocolate. Bourbon. Molasses. A delicate richness never before known to beer. Every inhalation is an orgasm of the senses.

Taste: Roasted malts, bourbon. Barrel aged complexity that is beyond the previous limits of my experience.

Mouthfeel: Thick and viscous. Brutal and abusive in many ways, but with the delicate touch of a passionate lover.

Drinkability: Unparalleled. One could drink this forever into the oblivion.

True joy escaped my face in the form of a single tear, rolling down the cheek, into the sublime concoction I was partaking of.

I was one with The Xa.

The pleasure, immeasurable, the pain unthinkable.

White Truffle. Black Caviar. Foie Gras. Even the forbidden Ortolan. They now meant less than nothing to me. They tasted foul and vile by comparison.

Food, I cannot eat. Drink, I cannot drink.

Every day, every minute, since my sip of Black Tuesday, I have been haunted by The Xa.

Help me, Patrick Rue.

Help. Me. (1,560 characters)

(Reviewing a 2014 bottle)

Pretty much a perfect example of the style. Ink black, smooth, not to sweet. The bourbon notes resonate with each and every sip, while not coming off as overwhelming boozy in any way. Sure, this one stood to be even better with age, but six months old still provided a fantastic result. (313 characters)

Black Tuesday oh what stories you spawn.

Pours dark and with a sweet boozy lusciousness
The taste is just as good as it smells and it changes getting even better as it warms up
Love the way this sits on the tongue. There's nothing I don't enjoy about this beer.

One of my favorite things about BT is that it has such a high abv and it is such a thick beer that it is not advised to drink an entire bottle to one's self. Instead it basically begs to be shared among friends & family. (484 characters)

Sampled from a bottle into my taster (TWICE) at The Bruery's 3rd Anniversary Party.

A: Pours dark, opaque black with a dark brown head. Obvi, hard to get an accurate vision of it's true appearance consider my taster only held a 4oz pour, but I was definitely in awe regardless.

S: Smells very boozy up front with hints of chocolate, coffee, and rich malty goodness.

T: For me, the taste lives up to the hype of this incredible beer! Very similar to the smell, and the boozy taste is incredibly smooth for such a high abv.

M: Thick, but very smooth and warm going down.

O: Overall, very impressed! Very complex flavoring, that is beyond my less experienced palette. Also, want to give a BIG THANK YOU to The Bruery for pulling our ticket in the lottery give-away. We now have a bottle of Black Tuesday to keep and save for a special occassion. VERY excited to try it again! (878 characters)

2011 750 ML bottle poured into a Duvel Tulip style glass. As indicated in the name the beer comes out black rising in the glass so no light gets through. The pour itself coming out of the bottle had brown highlights. Swirling it in the glass it has a light cough syrup effect to it. Tan colored head with mostly small bubbles, sticks around to the point of a ring around the edge. Decent glass retention, this looks to be an extremely elite beer.

Smell is decadently perfect. Sweet bourbon, decadent and fudgy chocolate are dominant. Plenty of vanilla and oak wood aromas come out. Subtlety toasted marshmallows. Heat from the bourbon tones are present, but it's a nice tickle on your nose, very pleasant.

Much like the smell the exquisite rich chocolate tones come out at you, high class and not overly sweet but all delicious. Plenty of bourbon flavors as well, strong tones of vanilla saturated wood, leather, and even some slight tobacco. Feint hints of licorice on the back of the tongue and again with some toasted marshmallows drizzled with melted brown sugar. All parts of this beer work in every aspect. Beer is as good as beer can taste, perfect when it comes to barrel aged stouts.

Black Tuesday is a full bodied beer, it's heavy with a lingering flavor, but not quite heavy enough where you completely have to chew it (close though). Silky smooth the entire session with a nice carbonation level. Warm finish that doesn't burn at all, just a nice tingling heat to let you know that it's there. 18.3% is nothing to scoff at and how potent this beer is, if someone were to tell you it was a bit lower, it'd be believable based on how drinkable this beer is. This is not a beer to chug, but instead a nice sipper for a night cap. Crazy, crazy drinkable. I could drink a bottle myself, but it's too good not to share and should really just be consumed on occasions where it will be appreciated. Home Run, Slam Dunk, Overtime Goal, Game Winning TD or whatever you want to call it from The Bruery! (2,008 characters)

Drank from a 1 pint 9.4 fl. oz./750 ml bottle
2009 vintage
Served in a tulip
Acquired in a trade with fumner

Review #650

Absolute pitch black in appearance. The liquid poured super oily and was topped by a thin wisp of caramel colored froth. Within seconds, the head dissolved to a clingy ring.

The nose was outrageously rich and fragrant. Super sweet with strong brown sugar and molasses notes. Raisins, prunes and dates were definitely noticeable as well. Lots of deep, dark roasted malts. The bourbon character was definitely present but the booziness must have mellowed with time. What remained were intense notes of vanilla and toasted coconut. There was a definite port wine-like aspect as well.

The flavor profile was even more impressive than the aroma. Massive amounts of roasted and caramel malts appeared on the front end. Tons of brown sugar and sweet cream. As in the nose, bourbon was definitely noticeable but the booziness was amazingly well contained. This beer seriously drank like something in the 12-13% ABV range. Strong molasses and port notes. Some French roast coffee and bakers chocolate. Vanilla and toasted coconut notes played a major role in the taste as well. The finish was sweet and mellow, yet not cloying in the least bit.

Black Tuesday was undoubtedly the most thick and viscous monster of a beer I have ever had the pleasure of drinking. The motor oil-like liquid contained a fine, mild effervesce which lent the beer a surprisingly supple creaminess. Simply amazing.

This 2009 vintage bottle of Black Tuesday was hands down the best stout of any type I have ever tried, and perhaps my favorite beer overall. Despite the ridiculously high ABV (19.5%), the alcohol was so well melded into the flavor profile. I wound up splitting my bottle four ways but felt like I could have put down at least half of it myself (although I might not be standing afterward).

Bottles of these beasts sell for over $300 on eBay and now I understand why. (1,977 characters)

The pour is black. It was poured straight from the source. I wrapped my nose inside the tulip glass and it smelled like bourbon,molasses, and burnt caramel. So many different flavors that smack you as soon as the beer hits your palate. It is well balanced, and does not feel like a 19.5 alcohol beer. It has an aftertaste that reminds you of a chocolaty licorice(good licorice taste) taste. It is a thick mouthful, causing one to fill a full bodied beer full of sweetness and dark malts. I did not taste any bitterness in the beer, and it still tasted great. If you do not like imperial stouts, then you will probably still love this beer. It is very drinkable, and after one sip the palate craves another drink. (712 characters)

2014 release, 19.7% of DANG.

Smells like a rich, dark chocolate candy bar, dropped into a pan of hot chocolate pudding, quietly burning on the range. Complexity of this beer is off the charts. I have had several of The Bruery's blended beers that incorporate Black Tuesday, and I've had Grey Monday, but I will freely admit I was not expecting the zany flavors this monstrous brew delivered to me on the first sip. Abundant fig, oak, hazelnut, almond, vanilla, sweet cream, molasses, molten caramel, pudding, semisweet chocolate... I don't know, man. Blown away. Was all ready to be objective about it and then the first drop hit my tongue. BT is entirely worthy of the reputation it has garnered. (698 characters)

mardi noir poured from a bottle for me and my wife as a final halloween weekend treat

i let her review kate so now she's reviewing this:

"this is my new favorite beer"

"i wish every beer was like this"

"tastes so fucking good"

for my take just read my chocolate rain review but pretend that it's also perfectly carbonated with malted milk ball head and lace and that the fudgyness and vanilla sweetness are replaced by deep savory port port dessert wine badassosity

worth the wait and glad i got to try this batch fresh (525 characters)

Quite simply the absolute best Imperial Stout that has ever graced my tastebuds!

Poured into a tulip glass, it presents an alluring visual sea of rich, dark liquid as expected of this style.

The treat really begins with the first twirl of the glass lifting toward the nose. Beautifully balanced and not overpowering, essences of bourbon and dark fruits and toffee envelop the olfactory glands with delight.

This beer seems to present only the finest characteristics of the aromas presented, all working together in harmony. There is nothing harsh. No overpowering alcohol. You would never know from the aroma that this liquid is 19.5% ABV.

On to the flavors, where this beer is a form of liquid black gold. As with the aromas, the flavors present a perfectly balanced dance of dark fruits and dark chocolate/toffee enhanced by mild woody bourbon notes that give it an elegance without any off-putting bite. No harsh alcohol whatsoever.

This beer invites sip after sip. It draws you in with an addictive presentation of symbiotic flavors; all of which are meant to be there. It is world class.

If you live in SoCal you must visit the brewery (The Bruery) to taste this beer. If you don't live there, book a ticket and fly there to taste this beer! Anybody can go to Disneyland. This is the magic kingdom of Imperial Stouts!

Rob (1,336 characters)

2012, poured dark as the night, smell of bourbon, cholocate, slight vanilla and a bit of booziness. Taste was much of the same characteristics, bourbon up front, sweetness, but not cloying, and rich stout. A slight bit of booze, but no burn and not overpowering. Definitely a monster beer. (292 characters)

I really like this beer. Everything about it is a great stout. Not overly boozy, though it is front and center all the time.

What I like most is the quote on the front of the bottle. All things are fleeting. Bulls and bears will come and go, but pigs get slaughtered. (268 characters)

Fist of all, I could be happy just smelling this beer for hours. I had the 2012 batch (twice) and both times it was incredible. Chocolate and coffee notes, nuttiness in the middle, great hop and malt balance - a true whale. It will linger in your mouth forever, so don't plan on drinking anything else for the rest of the night. (328 characters)

This is the best beer I've ever had. Each year is slighty different, but I've never been disappointed. I have a few bottles I'm going to sit on for several years. (162 characters)

Dark, dark brown, almost black. The smell is pure sweetness. The taste is syrupy sweet and complex. Surprisingly little alcohol taste for a beer of this ABV but after drinking I definitely get the warm mouthfeel that lets me know there was a lot of alcohol in there. The most amazing thing about this beer though is the way it coats the tongue. This is like beer concentrate, it coats the tongue like an oily syrup. This beer is a truly amazing experience. For a beer of this ABV it is amazingly drinkable. The sweetness is a bit much, I don't know that I could drink a pint of it but it would be wonderful served in a snifter or tulip glass as an after dinner drink. (667 characters)

Rich, thick beer that flows over your tongue like a deep kiss. Full-flavor that sings of chocolate, coffee and bourbon. Absolutely amazing mouthfeel. Great for sharing with the folks that matter most to you. Not something to waste on spoiled palates. (250 characters)

A jet black beer with a slightly brown twinge at the edge of the glass. Chocolate brown head that dissipated quickly. Lacing drips vertically down the glass rather than horizontally. Reeks of bourbon, charred oak, molasses, possibly chocolate cake, and dried dark fruits. Tastes like a vanilla bourbon truffle with a sprinkle of espresso. Coffee flavor comes out in the finish in what is otherwise dominated by bourbon, molasses and vanilla. The taste of Tuesday lingers for over a minute after each sip is gone. Taste buds are saturated and nearly overwhelmed by the depth of flavor. Mouthfeel is thick and rich, but lightened by adequate carbonation. Considering the 19.5% abv, the drinkability is silly. An amazing beer that is the best of its style. (753 characters)

I enjoy this beer every year at the black tuesday party held at the bruery and its an event i look forward to time and time again. The apearance is black as night
smells of rich chocolate and dark malts
taste like heaven
mouthfeel is thick and silky and hot all at the same time and stays on your tongue for what seams like an enterity.
only thing better is chocolate rain...which is the same beer with a crap load of coco nibs added. (436 characters)

Well, had a chance to sample one of my precious few remaining bottles of this. It's made its way from tap to bottle spectacularly. I really don't have too much to change about my review (I invariably only review a beer once, regardless of how many serving variations I have, but I'll make an exception this one time). I'll put in all caps the differences.

Pours a dark black, with a surprisingly robust bubbling brown head. IF ANYTHING, IT MIGHT BE MORE CARBONATED IN THE BOTTLED VERSION, AS I REMEMBER THE HEAD DYING DOWN FASTER FOR THE ON-TAP VERSION. YAY FORCED CARBONATION.

Smells like molasses, brown sugar, heavenly bourbon (these guys have the f****g best bourbon barrels), vanilla, and a bit of spicy ... nuttiness? Caramel? Insane. Tons of roasted chocolate and malt.

Taste delivers on the promise of the smell. Just wondrous. More bourbon, more roasted bitter chocolate malt with an undercurrent of sweet milk chocolate, a crazy pecan/woody/earthy nutty aftertaste, that "vanilla in the raw" flavor, and layered brown sugar/molasses. Hints of oak/wood. This is absolutely great. IT'S BEEN IN THE BARREL A BIT LONGER, AND MAY BE A BIT STRONGER IN THE BOURBON AND VANILLA.

For what it is, the drinkability is dangerous and insane. Sticky, chewy, and thick. Rivals Dark Lord, Darkness, PtY, and World Wide Stout for thickest, chewiest beer I've ever tried.

One of a handful of beers I could legitimately call the best I've ever had. I will treasure this "twenty malt" version. (1,490 characters)

Black Tuesday from The Bruery