Black Tuesday - The Bruery

2011: 18.3% ABV
2012: 19.2% ABV
2013: 18.9% ABV
2014: 19.7% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Black Tuesday Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,248 | Reviews: 632

Apperearance: black w/brown head

Smell: rich bourbon, vanilla, chocolate, sweet brown sugar.

Taste: malt, coffee, chocolate, toastiness. plum/prune, port, bourbon, vanilla, oakiness, brown sugar and caramel. Complex, balanced, drinkable.

Mouth: Very thick and flavorful all the way down. Not much alcohol taste or burn at all amazingly.

Overall: The best IS I've ever had. Since it's my favorite style that makes it my favorite beer I've ever had.
I'm shocked by the abv. Way more drinkable than any other beer of this strength I've had, and more drinkable than many beers of half this strength, which is why I awarded a perfect score for drinkability.
I've had KBS, BS, BCS, peche mortel, speedway, stone RIS, and this beats them all.
I have not had darkness, dark lord, or DFH WWS, so cannot compare, but have 2 out of 3 in the cellar so will note on comparisons when I pop them.

4.97/5  rDev +9.2%

had ourselves a beer friends road trip from petaluma to placentia to pick 3 bottles up. just had one last night poured into a bruery glass

-dark as beer can get. smallish mocha head that stuck around for the most part but not as much as hoped. basically it looked like it should, but not totally perfect

-bunch of bourbon on the 1st smell. then a bunch of dark chocolate really starts to open up throughout

-dark chocolate and the bourbon are the most glaring. after that i just wrote down words instead of sentences cuz there was so much going on...sweet, port, tobacco, dessert, cigars, dark fruits

-very warming, yet not much of an alcohol bite. always amazing from cold to warm

-despite all the hype, miles driven, money spent, long wait...would have to say this is the best beer i have ever had

4.97/5  rDev +9.2%

This is possibly the best beer that I have had in my life, especially stout-wise. There is a ton going on in it, more than my palate can properly identify or process.

Great dark pour with some swirling head into a wonderfully dark mess in my glass.

Even the smell has hints of vanilla, bourbon, and strong other flavors. It's super involved, and I can't pick everything out.

The taste is just as much going on in the beer as the smell, if not more. I get vanilla, bourbon, caramel, a little roasty, and just a great balance of a ton of flavors. This beer is super-complex and super alcoholy, but quite delicious.

750 ML into a tulip/ Consumed on 10-28-09

Review #200!

P: Completely light-rejecting with barely a few stray bubbles on top, even after an extremely vigorous pour. All that was left was a micro-thin halo on top and some dark brown stains on the side of the glass. After a vigorous swirl, however, I was able to conjure up a 1/2 inch soapy head of dark cappuccino-colored foam. I was really hoping to see a big dollop of foam on top of this beast, but at 19.5% I guess it's understandable. The score reflects my slight disappointment in this department, though.

A: This is, undoubtedly, the best aroma from a RIS I've come across yet! The bourbon isn't at all boozy and messy like some of the other barrel-aged stouts out there. Instead, it's really refined and well-integrated into the rest of the profile of the nose. Other aromas bursting from the glass include: deeply roasted malts, chocolate fudge, maple, wood, vanilla, and dark fruits. Awesome!

T: The first sip reveals an impossibly deep roasted malt bill that just envelops you in its flavor. Oozing from all 20 of the malts supposedly present here is chocolate fudge cake, vanilla, caramel, molasses, leather, maple wood, and of course, bourbon. Much more dark fruits are in here than I expected to find that remind me of dates, figs, and black cherries that add yet more complexity. Once again, the bourbon isn't alcoholic and messy on the palate, but it does warm the back of the throat, chest, and belly with each and every swallow. Finishes sweet and leaves a sweet aftertaste that hangs on for an eternity. If this ain't a 5, I don't know what is.

M: The term "full-bodied" just doesn't do it justice. Black Tuesday is incredibly thick, glassy smooth, perfectly creamy, and absolutely chewy as hell. There is no liquid that has ever passed my lips that even comes close to feeling this incredibly viscous and oily.

Notes: After standing in line for 4 1/2 hours in a dark, cold, wind-swept alley to obtain this beer, I became increasingly skeptical if the beer could ever live to all the hype. As hard as I tried to find a chink in the Black Tuesday armor, the only thing I could come up with was the lack of head after the initial pour. Smells incredible, tastes phenomenal, and makes Goose Island Bourbon County Stout feel like a porter! As for its drinkability, the 19.5% is hidden so damn well that drinking an entire bottle is not nearly as cumbersome as it might sound in theory. No doubt it's a sipper to be reckoned with, but it went down much more easily than I thought it would. Two thumbs way up!

On-tap at The Bruery itself, 8oz.,

A: Pours pitch black with a light brown head, spots of lace.

S: Robust smell full of chocolate syrup, coffee and licorice.

T: Big flavours, heavy on the dark chocolate, molasses, licorice, anise and mocha. Bourbon barrels come in and add touch of vanilla, wood and cinnamon spice. Pretty much perfect for what an imperial stout should taste like.

M: Full-bodied, thick and viscous, but incredibly smooth and balanced. No heat from the alcohol is astonishing, but something I've come to expect from The Bruery's big beers. Dark Lord is the only beer I can recall having a comparably big mouthfeel.

D: Aside from Partridge in a Spice Tree this is my favourite beer ever from The Bruery, and it will actually be available for more than a weekend. I can't really find a fault with this beer. So easy to drink for its style, it should be illegal. It's hard to say $25 or $1/oz. for a bottle of beer is even a good deal, but for this one it's a steal.

4.97/5  rDev +9.2%

A huge thanks to jhenry04 for coming through for me on this one in a very fair and reasonable trade.

I served this at 54 degrees into my Dogfish Head snifter. On first pour, there is very little carbonation until five seconds or so pass and a nice stream of bubbles begins to work its way to the surface. A frothy, Cappuccino-like head forms on a second vigorous pour. Swirling this around in the glass produces tremendous legs like a fine sherry or port.

The smell is outstanding. As soon as I worked my way through the two layers of black wax and pried off the cap, a beautiful caramel, cocoa aroma was released. Sticking my nose deep into the snifter I get a host of bourbon-like flavors ranging from vanilla to toffee to sultana raisins. Gorgeous. I spent a good ten minutes just inhaling the aromas before taking my first sip. There was certainly a strong presence of alcohol in the nose which was leading me to believe that this would be quite hot.

Upon my first taste I was immediately struck by how the nose transfered to the taste in every way but one - the alcohol was much more subdued than what I expected. Notes of muscovado sugar, plums and candied pecans all come through on subsequent sips. This is heady stuff!

Mouthfeel was tremendous. Very viscous but never chewy. A perfect amount of carbonation for the high alcohol and a fantastic achievement considering it's nearly 40 proof!

Drinkability is off the charts for the style and high alcohol content. Despite the heat in the nose and very sweet body, it never becomes hot or cloying. Beautifully done!

In retrospect Black Tuesday resembles Utopias, the FW Anniversary beers, MS Arctic Devil Barleywine and even J.W. Lees Harvest Ale more than it does many of the top Imperial Stouts out there.

Is this the best beer in the world? One could certainly argue for or against and have valid points on both sides. What is indisputable to me is that Black Tuesday is a tremendous brewing achievement that shows great finesse in a huge package. All I know is that I spent nearly two hours drinking this beer and when I swirled the last sip in my mouth and swallowed I was deeply satiated.

4.97/5  rDev +9.2%

Enjoyed on-tap at the release in a Bruery snifter.

Pours opaque and pitch black, with only a tiny bit of dark brown head. Smell is chocolate, caramelized sugar, and loads of sweet malts, with some bourbon as well. I was glad that the bourbon wasn't overdone. Too much would have ruined the excellent balance of this great beer. Taste is right in line with the aroma, primarily sweet chocolate and bourbon, but again not overdone. The big surprise is that there is no note of alcohol. I'm not sure how there can be nearly 20% alcohol in this beer! This is a big, full bodied monster of a beer, but the carbonation (not high, but appropriate) made it a smooth drink.

I was pleasantly surprised with Black Tuesday versus Chocolate Rain. While the additional blast of chocolate and vanilla in the cask version was wonderful, the carbonation in Black Tuesday balanced the beer out and made it much more enjoyable to drink. I believe I read about someone doing a 50/50 blend, which probably would have been delicious! I wish I would have thought of it.

The lack of head was my only gripe with this beer. It seems quite cold when served, so perhaps if it were poured a bit warmer there would have been more of a head. Regardless, this is one of the best beers I have ever tasted.

There was some discussion at the release regarding aging Black Tuesday, but I'm not sure what it could gain. If the bottles are force carbonated and not bottle conditioned, then they should be ready to drink and I can't imagine this beer getting any smoother.

4.97/5  rDev +9.2%

2010 bottle into a Duvel tulip. Much thanks to mashmaster for this longtime want.

It is indeed black, impossibly black. Like motor oil from a jug, this pours very slowly out of the bottle. A quarter-finger medium-dark brown head forms and sticks around for a while. Some lacing around the glass, but it quickly subsides. Legs all over the place.

The aroma is exquisite - this is easily the most complex beer I've ever smelled. I hate to recapitulate a BA cliché, but it applies in this case: I can’t get my nose out of the glass. Huge hits of raisins, prunes, and other dark fruits, like a freshly baked pudding. Dark baker's chocolate and fudge. Plenty of alcohol in the mix as well, with the unmistakable aroma of bourbon. So much sweet vanilla from the barrel, with remarkably little of that nostril hair-burning element that many big stouts have.

The taste is enormous. Tremendous sweetness, but that huge barrel presence tempers it perfectly. There's so much going on with this beer, but nothing seems muddled - each flavor is incredibly pure. Sweet dark fudge with vanilla extract added. Blackstrap molasses and caramel. There's an anise cookie-like flavor at work that really reminds me of biscotti. The back end is all smooth, smooth bourbon, but the booze is not close to being overpowering. Just a hint of bitterness in the finish.

Thick, viscous, sludgy mouthfeel, but there's a hint of carbonation. The mouthfeel is absolutely perfect, and befits the enormity of this beer.

The hype behind this beer is definitely merited. With so many competing flavors at work, this beer could have easily been a muddled mess. Instead, it borders on perfection like no stout I've tried before. I shudder to think what the 2009 version tastes like today, though this one is drinking pretty perfectly right now. Worth every penny.

2013 vintage:
Good lord this is a beast of a beer.

A- Not super impressive. Typical high ABV stout; little to no head. Basically pitch black, but not the darkest I've seen.
S- GOOD GOD. The aroma on this thing is incredible. This was done side-by-side with BCBS, which smelled simple and boring compared to this thing (and I'm a BCBS fanboy). Sweet vanilla, charred oak, bourbon, licorice. Unbelievable.
T- I was worried that the taste wouldn't live up to the aroma, but there is no worries here. Wave after wave of dark fruits, chocolate, sweet vanilla, and bourbon. This is not a beer that will "sneak up on you." This beer lets you know its going to dominate you from the beginning.
M- Typical high ABV stout. Pours thick, though nothing like TenFIDY. Low carbonation. Sticky as hell, but smooth. Foams well when swished in the mouth.

O- Need I say more? Best BBA Stout I've ever had hands down. This thing is a monster, so it may not be for everyone, but if you are looking for something to blow you away, this'll do it.

4.96/5  rDev +9%

I thought this was very tasty, I'm glad i have another one on the shelf. I need to try the Run barrel aged one

4.96/5  rDev +9%

Waited to try this for a long time and finally enjoyed the 2014 vintage when my neighbor shared with me. Lived up to my expectations - loads of sweet and savory flavors and quite drinkable. Everything about it was extremely well balanced, a very nice mouthfeel and an inviting smell. Can't wait to try again someday.

4.96/5  rDev +9%

2014 vintage. Massively flavorful and intense. Every single thing I could possibly want from a stout.

4.95/5  rDev +8.8%

I've had the 2009 vintage once and the 2010 vintage out of the bottle 5 times and on tap once. The 09 is substantially better than the 2010. Not sure if this is due to the alcohol variation or age, but likely both.

This review is from a recent stout tasting I had - thanks to Mark for sharing - you're awesome!

A - Small amount of mocha head that did not stick around very long. This is dark like night, sticky yet silky, which I didn't even know was possible.

S - I smelled this for a few minutes before diving in. I didn't get any alcohol on the nose. Very complex, bourbon, vanilla, chocolate, and raisins. Love this smell - every time you go in for a whiff it's slightly different.

T - Amazing! The Bruery knocked it out of the park. Sweetness, vanilla, molasses, maple syrup, roast, chocolate, bourbon, alcohol is present but subdued.

D - I could probably drink half the bottle myself before the sweetness would take it's toll, however I would never do that because this a gem that can only be shared with a few people. What a great treat!

Thanks Patrick Rue and the ladies at the Craft Beer Cellar in Belmont
A-Black, with a Toffeel Head
S-Licorice..with Milk Chocolate and Anise
T-Chocolate/licorice as in smell then dark fruits
M-full mouthfeel with each distinct flavor almost cleansing palate in approach of next flavor...a little heat on the way down
O- check this off my bucket list..although only a tasting, would love to trade for a full bottle...

4.95/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured into my Mikasa snifter.

Pours a deep black with very little head. Almost no lacing.

Smell is vanilla and bourbon. Smells soo decadent. Incredible.

Taste is incredible. Vanilla more vanilla and the great bourbon. Soo smooth. Heaven

Mouthfeel is decadent. Thick smooth, light carbonation. Excellent.

Overall this is my second favorite stout of all time. Simply superb. Makes me want to buy a reserve society membership just for this.

4.95/5  rDev +8.8%

We bought several bottles of this beer about a year ago. They've been sitting in our beer cellar, waiting for the perfect moment to crack one open. Since we live on the East coast, and it's not available here, I paid an obscene amount of money on Ebay. We opened one for my birthday.

We served this in bourbon stemware.

Appearance: very dark black color. Nice rich dark tan head.

Smell: smells rich and dark and strongly of bourbon. Very fruity.

Taste: exceptional. The bourbon taste is delicious, it's just the right amount of malt. The fruit is lush.

Mouthfeel: lush and thick. Coats your tongue.

Drinkability: Because of the ridiculous ABV, this is obviously a sipping beer. Because of the cost, I would call this a very special occasion beer. I thought this was everything it was cracked up to be.

4.95/5  rDev +8.8%

A - Beautiful! Dark, inviting, asking you to drink it. Nice head, fantastic look!
S - Tasty. Like walking into your favorite pizza shop, and falling in love again and again (however 2010 seems a bit stronger). Not overpowering to not want to try.
T - Delcious. Very well hidden, but at the same timestrong alcohol flavor.
M -Thick. Wants to linger. While sipping, you want it to last. Definitely not hot.
D - Huge. Couldn't even imagine drinking an entire bottle, but a glass with a few friends and some light cheese, it's very easy.

4.94/5  rDev +8.6%

Huge thanks to Roymunson for sharing this during Munsonfest.

A: Pitch black, very thick but not quite motor oil or Dark Lord. Moderate head on the pour with just a bit of retention. Some wispy lacing.

S: Deep, rich fucking malts. Not burnt but very roasty with loads of deep sugary molasses. You can definitely tell that it's a huge beer bu the alcohol only comes out a bit and is already melding well.

T/M: I want to hate this beer but I can't. This is very good. Deep, rich malts, but again, not burnt. Deeply sweet molasses and caramel. Some muted hops but not huge like Expo. Damn fine alcohol line, not much heat but plenty of flavor that melds nicely. Light, flavorful wood with some vanilla but not tons of bourbon. Body is full but not heavy and very very creamy.

D: 19.5? I would never guess this past 12 or so but still incredibly drinkable. Like I said.... I want to hate this beer because of the hype but damn.... This is an incredible beer.

EDIT: Just split a bottle with my Kels and the bourbon is much more pronounced in this bottle. Still not massive on the bourbon but definitely a step up and a nice improvement. Gonna bump the aroma up to a 5. Fantastic.

4.94/5  rDev +8.6%

Thanks to my brewing buddy Steve for this one.

Pours up black with brown edges. Quickly fading brown head. Nose is chocolate malts, booze heat, raisins, black cherries, caramel. Tastes of all of the above, huge bourbon and oak, and then some. Thick bodied, smooth mellow carbo. Insane!

4.94/5  rDev +8.6%

On tap at the brewery- sad to see allocations are done. Smell is huge bourbon, oak, and sweet cocoa. Ripe, dark fruit. It's black, slightly viscus with a nice lace. Taste is amazingly smooth. It's silky on the tongue, not thick at all but very smooth. I could drink A LOT of this. Taste is ripe raisin, some prune and other ripe fruits followed by a sweet cocoa and then a slight bitterness. I don't pick up much alcohol in the finish at all- quite amazing... Lives up to the hype

4.94/5  rDev +8.6%

This is an outstanding BB beer that lived up to the hype. Black as motor oil this monster comes in at 19.2%. The well hidden ABV sneaks up on you and before you realize it the bottle you shared with a few friends is empty and your stumbling about. I cant say enough about this beer as it is one of the best beers in the style I have ever had. If you like BB stouts this is a no brainer with a fantastic stout backbone coupled with the barrel aging makes this treat Legendary.

Bottom Line: Legendary brew!

4.94/5  rDev +8.6%

Smooth, sweet, sticky, chewy amazing goodness.

4.92/5  rDev +8.1%

First off, many thanks go to the BA now known as IronKrausen for hooking me up with this beer. He will be mentioned again in a future review involving a 5 year vertical of another great beer. More on that another day...

I'm not sure if I've ever told this story here before, but shortly before moving out to Portland back in May of this year, I put out an "In Person" trade request for Sierra Nevada Ken & Fritz's Ale. It didn't make it to the bottle shop I frequented in North Georgia, so it was definitely a want. MADhombrewer answered my post and we set up a meeting for some pints and the swap at Don Younger's fantastic Horse Brass Pub when I got to Portland. That initial trade has led to our friendship and more than a few bottles opened at each other's houses. Black Tuesday was the last bottle opened at our most night of "bottle popping". It was shared with my wife "TulipSnifter" and his wife-to-be "WitchesBrew". Nine bombers averaging about 8%-9% ABV were opened prior to this one so I was quite surprised to find glorious well written notes and scores typed into the memo pad section of my BlackBerry the next morning when I woke up at 10am with a splitting freaking headache. Onto the review now that the back story is out of the way. Very little embellishing has been added to these "real time" notes.

A: Poured into a stemless crystal Reidel brandy snifter, Black Tuesday appears sinister enough to propel the American economy into flat out bankruptcy. The super thick viscosity of the pour glugs into my glass to reveal a bottomless gash in the earth inky blackness with deep brown heartland soil edges. The very light fizzy walnut head dissipates quickly to reveal just a glass ring of bubbles. Swirling allows the liquid to creep up the sides of the glass and descend back to the body in legs. 4.5/5

S: Holy Hammer of Thor is this thing extreme! Without a doubt this is the most alcohol-centric beer I have ever smelled! Other Barrel Aged Imperial Stouts I have had like to showcase the barrel but this is a Rockette high kick to the olfactory's! I don't think I have to worry about my nose hairs for a while because they all just got singed off. The wonderful sweet Bourbon just dances everywhere. Black pepper spice, white pepper heat, and cinnamon warmth just dance a jig that I can't get enough of. My new standard for what -BAL stout should be. 5/5

T: Another wow to add to the list of previous tasters. If the aroma wasn't wild enough, this roller coaster ride of a beer just went for a double loop. Does this taste like what I expected 18% to be? Not even close! Sweet milk chocolate, sweet dates, sweet brown sugar, sweet caramel, sweet bourbon, and sweet cinnamon candies are all along for the cork screw turn on the track. I LOVE an overly sweet boozy beer and this fits the bill to a "T". 5/5

M: My Tongue is literally numb. It's definitely on the medium-low carbonated side but it's just so luxurious and smooth those bubbles may not even be needed. Take them away all together and you have something resembling Cognac. That is not a problem in my book. Despite the super-hero sized dessert sweetness in the taste, this actually finishes a little cleaner than I expected. 4.5/5

D: The next bottle of Black Tuesday I get is going to be opened by me and me alone! Seriously though, it's a beer that I could drink by myself should I really want to but would best be shared with others so its magnificence can be talked about. Saying "wow that shit is good" doesn't quite have the same impact when tucked away in a man-cave by one's self. Get a few other people to share a bottle with or they won't believe your fabled stories of Black Tuesday! 5/5

I actually looked into airplane tickets to attend the brewery release this year. At the time I thought it may not be worth it after adding up all the costs. Hopefully Patrick Rue can make a few more bottles of this for next year and maintain this level of quality because I will be trying like crazy to get tickets for the 2011 party. If I manage to do so, I don't expect to be the only new face there. This never was a secret to faithful local patrons of The Bruery and now I'm very much in the know as well. I hope to see everybody there next year!

4.92/5  rDev +8.1%

Had the 2013 as part of a 14 bottle Bruery tasting and this was definitely one of the standouts!

On tap @ provisions

Look: Black and totally opaque with a brown ring on top. No real head but definitely not expected

Smell: Wow the nose is great. Lots of chocolate and dark malts there is just a slight hint of alcohol and @ 18.3% that is quite impressive

Taste: This might be one of the best tasting beers I have ever had. The beer has the right amount of bourbon and a great dark chocolate sweetness and a great vanilla backbone. Exceptional flavor. There is absolutely no noticeable alcohol very impressed

Mouthfeel: Near perfect full body but I thought it would be a bit thicker on the palate and low carbonation

Overall: This is hands down one of the best barrel aged big stout if not the best one on the market. I had my reservations that at $30 a bottle this one would not be worth it but damn was I wrong. Almost perfect

Black Tuesday from The Bruery