Black Tuesday - The Bruery

2011: 18.3% ABV
2012: 19.2% ABV
2013: 18.9% ABV
2014: 19.7% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Black Tuesday Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,245 | Reviews: 631
4.1/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A big thanks to Dreadnaught33 for procuring this bottle from a friend and allowing some of us to try it! I got a generous 4-5 oz. pour off the bat into a Bruery snifter.

A: Pours very black fluid (this beer isn't unbelievably black, it's just mostly black) with slight mahogany brown highlights around the edges. A light tan cap appears briefly but dissipates quickly to a thin ring. Handsome presentation indeed!

S: The smell is very powerful and forced me to bellow in delight as I took a whiff! Big bourbon notes coupled with vanilla and oak woodiness support a malt aroma of dark caramel and chocolate. I am getting very little, if any, roastiness from this. It is mostly a sweeter style. There is a slight unexpected tinge of teriyaki as we discussed at the table.

T: Molasses, Grade C maple syrup, chocolate malts all come to mind in this big flavored beer. The bourbon is present but not intrusive. Vanilla and Oak notes compliment the flavor nicely. Again, no roastiness available which is somewhat disappointing to me. The teriyaki is also somewhat of a distraction. Medium alcohol heat is present in the finish.

M: Full bodied beer representative of the style with a slightly slick mouthfeel. It is probably very dextrinous. Medium sweet finish.

D: For most part the beer is fairly drinkable at 18+% ABV. Pleasant flavors abound however, the beer is fairly sweet, not quite cloying, but getting there. The alcohol in the finish is also somewhat of a turn off.

This is a great beer, but I think it is over-hyped. It would probably be in my top-10 of stouts, but not top 5.

4.1/5  rDev -9.9%

I had a small sample of this long ago at the BA Stout Trooper release, but this has been a long time want. 2011 vintage generously shared by cbutova.

Pours black, black, black, with a small brown head that doesn't stick around, dat ABV man. Some legs left on the glass. Ominous.

Smell is big but really not as intense as I was expecting. Chocolate, vanilla, bourbon, alcohol madness.

Taste is better, probably the definition of a dessert beer. Huge chocolate syrup drenched cake, vanilla, raisin, bourbon, alcohol, table sugar. Really insane flavor but very, very sweet, booze isn't bad but you feel the 18%. A sipper for sure.

Pretty good mouthfeel, hot, low carbonation.

Tasty but the sweetness and alcohol really prohibit this one from true greatness. A few ounces is good for me.

4.1/5  rDev -9.9%

2010, I believe, shared very generously in a great tasting by UMNBeerHunter. Thanks Joe! Poured into a tasting snifter.

Black Tuesday is, ironically, not "black" enough; frankly it belongs more in the -bal Barleywine/Strong Ale territory than among Imperial Stouts. Looks, smell, taste... on all counts.

The aroma is an overload of delicious things: vanilla, sweet booze, and tons of dark fruit. Very appealing, if a little rough.

The taste has a lot of bourbon, and more. Vanilla, obviously; and rum soaked dried dark fruit with plenty of bitter-sweet-tart darkness. Think prunes and raisins, but more complex and infinitely boozier.

I can't believe that this beer is appearing thin on the palate and I think that it has to be with the insanely high ABV. Even though it's clean, it's still very sweet. I am loving the taste but I am certainly not digging the mouthfeel, that is into the moderate strength liqueur territory.

A brewing achievement but not beer like; delicious nonetheless. I am very glad that I got to try it, and I don't think I could have without Joe's generosity. Thanks again!

4.12/5  rDev -9.5%

750 ml bottle split and poured into a Bruery tulip. 18.2% ABV, no date (2010 edition).

He'll never see this, but I must send a big thanks to my fiancée's uncle for picking up a few bottles for myself and friends and sending them back this way!

A - Pitch black in appearance but clear on the pour, this one comes out like motor oil. It produces a short-lived tan head with almost no lace. Sticky legs cling to the glass.

S - Strong alcohol aroma followed by wood and heavily roasted chocolate malts. Notes of coffee with fig, raisins, and slight pine hops on the swirl. Then again that could just be the pine-sol cleaning agent coming from the hot booze. It doesn't smell as thick and sweet as I remember it.

T - Sweet molasses and rich bittersweet chocolate with subtle coffee notes and barrel aroma. The bourbon doesn't come through as much as straight solvent alcohol like in the aroma.

M - Thick and syrupy-rich with a full body, this is the thickest beer I've ever had for sure. Hot alcohol is surprisingly mellow in it's perceived feel. Not too overbearing.

D - Definitely boozy overall and unbalanced toward sweetness but very good and different regardless. This begs to a) be sipped and b) be shared. I wouldn't open a bottle of this without at LEAST two other guys to share it with.

2011 Vintage poured into a Founders tulip

A: Blacker than a voodoo midnight with a light tan head that fell quickly away.

S: Nice sweet bourbon and strong port-like notes. Chocolate syrup moves in there, too.

T: This is a very sweet beverage. I find lots of chocolate brownies or syrup, a touch of soy here and there, and slight caramel notes. The bourbon is kind of hard to find amidst everything else that is going on. The heat is pretty high at this point and finishes into strong notes of port.

M: The mouthfeel was touch disappointing, but with the high alcohol I should not be surprised. There is a lingering sweetness that transcends taste and is strongly reminiscent of port.

O: I am happy to try this one, but I don't really want more than a 6 oz serving. I think that this is fine piece of work, however it is not really my bag.

4.12/5  rDev -9.5%

I've tasted this several times, many different batches, but this review is from notes at EBF.
A thick black viscous liquid coats the inside of my glass with great legs. Aromas of chocolate, brown sugar, caramel, molasses, raisins and other dark dried fruits, along with a fair amount of ethanol. The flavor is sweet with dark and burnt sugars but that is countered nicely with a present but not overpowering alcohol heat. Roast and chocolate molasses round out the flavor nicely. Thick body with a light level of carbonation and a sweet syrupy mouthfeel. This is a monster of a beer, but its frikin tasty and devilishly deceptive.

4.12/5  rDev -9.5%

750 ml bottle generously shared by colonelforbin. Thanks Mike. 2010 vintage. Pours a dark black with a small light brown head that disappears pretty quickly. No lacing, which isn't surprising given the ABV. It does leave some legs on the glass when swirled. Aroma is big fudge brownie, vanilla, bourbon, and certainly quite a bit of alcohol as well. The taste is quite sweet with a lot of fudge brownie. A bit of vanilla, some caramel, and lots of bourbon as well as a bit of oak. Warming alcohol is noticeable on the finish. There's a light astringency as well. Full bodied. Manages to be very sweet without being syrupy. Low carbonation. Very good beer. I'm glad to have tried it, but it is not something I could drink a lot of.

4.12/5  rDev -9.5%

Bottle. 2010 version. Oh, the fabled and mythical BT!
Poured into a tulip glass a dark brown with slight reddish brown highlight on the rim. The head is very slight and forms a tan head around the collar of the glass. The aroma is very boozy with notes of molasses, vanilla, bourbon, dark chocolate, and toffee. The alcohol burns the nose as you inhale a deep breath. The taste is sweet with hints of bourbon, dark roast, chocolate, and booze. The booze somewhat overpowers this and I kind of wish it was dialed down a tad but that being said, for the abv this is pretty smooth drinking. Warms as you drink this beer. No lace but it has legs for gods sake! Medium/heavy mouthfeel. This beer is pretty sweet flavor wise. For being such a high abv beer it really is decent but given the choice on an everyday basis, I would rather have a lower abv imperial stout.

4.12/5  rDev -9.5%

This is a true monster of a beer. The full brunt of the 19.5% ABV and strong bourbon character pack a hell of a one-two punch.

It pours from the bottle like oil from the drain plug on my car when I've gone 15k miles without a change...dark and thick. It looks truly syrupy in the glass and they'll probably need a chisel to clean the glass fully.

The bourbon aroma is intense as it wafts out of the glass and up your nose to rip the hairs out by the root. It is so overpowering and imposing that I can't detect anything else in there.

I've had to put myself on a tongue transplant waiting list thanks to this beer. Right before it killed my last tastebud I recall a ton of bourbon with copius amounts of chocolate and coffee. They were however not copius enough to consider ganging up on the bourbon in an attempt to get some foreground action. The bourbon rules this beer with an iron fist and dissent will not be tolerated.

The mouthfeel is surprisingly light for the intensity of the flavor and syrupy look. I think the bourbon must have scared the body away. In place of the body he has appointed his son, the esteemed Mr. Bourbon Burn, as Vice Chancellor of Black Tuesdayville.

All things considered, this is not a very drinkable beer but under threat of violence from the bourbon I have been instructed to wrap up this review on a positive note. It actually is pretty damn good in small doses but drinking a bottle would put a man six feet under.

4.12/5  rDev -9.5%

From a 2014 bottle. Lots of sweetness and heat and a bit thinner than I had hoped. Some nice flavors in there, but a bit overwhelmed by the heat. A sipper for sure.

4.13/5  rDev -9.2%

Sampled at GABF

Oily black color with no head

Aroma was burnt chocolate cookies, maple, and smoke.

Some of the flavors were tobacco, black strap molasses, chocolate. Quite sweet overall with noticable alcohol but neither were putting us off.

Not much carbontion, viscous mouthfeel with a long, hot, sweet finish.

There was a huge line for this one, worth the wait. Their other beers are also wonderful.

4.14/5  rDev -9%

02/26/11- Review of a 750mL bottle of the 2010 vintage at Cafe Bella for my birthday dinner!
A: Opaque black with chocolate hues, it poured with a tan lacing and a strong collar and film.
S: Strong dark chocolate and boozy bourbon, raisins, grape juice, slight cigar, plums and caramel malt. This has a really great aroma.
T: Very sweet, with a good bourbon character (and very slight vanilla), molasses, grape juice and champagne, orange peel and orange extract hops character... this is good but I have to dock some points for the cloying sweetness. This is probably one of the smoothest-drinking 18% stouts I'll ever have, though.
M: Thick, but with a cleansing alcohol.
D: OK. I'm impressed with how easy-drinking it is for the alcohol content, but still only a couple glasses is enough.

I'm really glad to have gotten the chance to try this. Imagine the combination of Abyss roast, Dark Lord sweetness, and Black Albert molasses and cigar character, all with a champagne wine character vs. port.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Can’t believe I haven’t had this until now. Bottle shared at the Santa Cruz tasting in January. Supersweet chocolate syrupy flavors do their best to hide a massive alcohol heat. The flavor profile is actually really nice but the booze makes it hard to drink.

4.14/5  rDev -9%

A 750ml bottled shared by Deuane. Poured into my Selin's Grove wine glass. The stout appears a pitch black color akin to dark molasses. Repeated vigorous agitations only managed to produce a thin layer of dark ecru head. Nose and flavors consist of milk and bittersweet chocolate, vanilla, mellow bourbon notes, dark brown sugar/molasses, smoke and a bit of char, deeply caramelized malts, dark cherries, raisins, more chocolate and smoky bourbon. Smells a tad better than it tastes. Some, but certainly no where near enough alcohol heat to lead you to believe this beer is pushing 20%. Full bodied and rich, but rather sweet. The perfect bottle to split between 6 or more people. Thanks again D!

4.15/5  rDev -8.8%

Bottle 2010 vintage shared with many people, thanks to Weisguy! Beautiful opaque black brown with red shades, although very little head. Extremely volatile, the alcohol brings an wide aroma spectrum: dark fruits, cherries, bourbon, molasses and coconut. Flavors are pure chocolate (almost brownies) and bourbon with some cherries. Rich bodied and low carbonation, almost like a syrup. It was very tasty but too heavy to be pleasant to drink in large servings. An event in itself.

4.15/5  rDev -8.8%

**revisited the 2009 vintage at a recent tasting over the holidays. The flavors and booze have really come together and the alcohol is not as dominant as it was a year ago. I enjoyed my pour much more and went back for another.

Big thanks to Scotty (aka hooliganlife) for bringing this to our STLHops Tasting and for Mike for hosting. Share among several people...I got a good 5oz pour into my tasting glass.

A - Pours black, slim tan-colored head which disipiates into nothingness. The look turns straight back quickly after the pour. no really lacing or retention to speak of, just midnight black in a glass.

S - Chocolate and boozy notes, some burnt malts, molasses. Mostly a mix of sweet and boozy, kinda messy compared to most other stouts that are considered the "crem de la crem". Nothing near mind-blowing here at all.

T - Chocolate syrup, lots and lots of booze, roasted malts, a hint of oak. The booze pretty much dominates this. Although it's hot, I could not tell that this is 19.5% and if I had to guess, I'd say 12% or so. Although the alcohol is well-hidden, there's still a bunch of it and combined with the sweet notes, it makes this beer messy.

M - Full bodied, a big beer, rich and smooth. Probably the best thing about this beer is the feel. I like the way this coats the palate...it sticks with you.

D - My 5oz (approximate) was way more then enough for me. I was done with this one after my initial taste and I don't think I could have gone back for seconds (or enjoyed it). I've had many other stouts that I consider to be superior to this brew. Although it's good, I don't consider it to be great.

4.15/5  rDev -8.8%

Another one from an amazing tasting.

A Pours a nice black color topped with a mocha head.

S Very sweet with a ton of chocolate. Almost reminiscent of chocolate syrup. A bit of alcohol comes through as well.

T The taste follows the nose with a very sweet milk chocolate flavor coming through.This is followed by a kick of alcohol.

M mediumish mouthfeel with a noticeable alcoholic burn.

Overall this is a great beer but due to the sweetness and the massive abv I wouldn't want more then a glass of it though. Perfect beer to share at a tasting.

Reviewed from notes. Thanks to pecorasc for splitting this 3 ways

A: Pours Dark Black. Medium tan head, but NO lacing. Looks like it came out a little thin.

S: One word: Molasses! dark fruits come through and I pick up alcohol, but not the 19.5%. Nice bourbon and vanilla aromas. Smells a lot like the 08 Darkness I had a little while back.

T: Very sweet. Lots of alcohol/bourbon in the front. Dark Fruit appears in the finish with molasses and vanilla. I like the sweetness, but if you dont, this beer is not for you. Also, the alcohol burn is there.

M: Surprisingly thin. I was hoping for more body with this and some nice chewy thickness.

D: Its sweet and high alcohol, so you cant drink a lot of this, but overall, I thought my 3rd of the bottle serving was perfect.

4.17/5  rDev -8.4%

Many Thanks to Phil for providing this rarity and for hosting the recent tasting.

An aggressive pour releases liquid as black as Wesley Snipes into my tulip glass, sitting below a tight dark tan head of a half finger height. Black Tuesday has very nice wine-like legs, but no real lacing to speak of.

I could smell the beer as it poured. The aroma is clearly boozy, but it's not very similar to many bourbon-barrel aged beers I have had before. It's sweet with every type of chocolate you could think of in addition to the barrel characters which are surprisingly in the background (balance). Dark, rich 90% cocoa and booze soaked fruits combine with a hints of oily french roast and molasses. These elements are evident in the taste as well, but in generally smaller doses.

Flavor opens up with an intensely sweet chocolate cake exploding with a molten dark choloate interior. Someone asked,

"What's that thing with chocolate inside of another chocolate?"

"Oh, a Truffle?"

"Yeah, that's it!"

This is like the best chocolate cake you have ever had but you bite into it only to discover that there's an even better chocolate cake inside it. Decadent.

Don't get me wrong though, the booze is apparent. It's very noticeable and anyone telling you otherwise probably lives within a 5 mile radius of Placentia, CA. I would guess probably 10-12% abv, which was about what the other tasters mentioned.

Having said that, this is beer actually got worse as it warmed. All of my beer knowledge indicates that the exact opposite should happen, and that deeper flavors and subtleties should erupt as a beer warms to room temperature. As black tuesday warmed, it only became less drinkable (more alcohol apparent) and it's viscous mouthfeel became borderline overbearing. Yes, this is a very drinkable beer for it's (supposed) 19.5% ABV, but you couldn't (read: wouldn't want to) drink more than 3 or 4oz anyway.

Overall, this is a very impressive beer and as much as I want to hate it, I just can't. I am glad to have had the chance to try it, and would recommend that bottles be shared at cooler temps (closer to 40˚F) between at LEAST 6 People.

4.17/5  rDev -8.4%

Big thanks to the generosity of Deuane for sharing this beast. Poured chilled into a 1/2 pint and allowed to gradually warm

A - Big and black appearance -the look is not quite viscous like black chocolate liquid, a ring of light tan is present and a bit of cream revives to a thin skin of a head when swirled. The lace hold on the glass when sips are taken

S - molasses, vanilla and toffee notes are high in the aroma w/ baked brownie and a light cocoa bean and dark roast coffee

M -Moderately full feel, not quite syrupy. The feel is warming,yet not quite boozy w/ sugary feel and mild roasted texture w/ nutty and slightly smooth oily fee The beer seems spicy and dry as it finishes

T - The flavor is intense from the get-go, black currants and cocoa w/ dark brown sugar and slightly charred malt taste w/ woody accents and toasted grain w/ bitter herbal flavor and dark roast coffee-like acidity w/ lots of intense concentrated wort flavor like a dark malty molasses accented roasted elixir, both dry and sweet w/ spicy and alcohol flavors all very forward in the flavor, big beer that lets you know its a bruiser but doesn't knock you out with the first taste. The layers of malts and wood and alcohol all are in sync and leave ripples of full flavor on the tongue even after the taste

D - The drinkability is hard to compare to others of the style, very high quality and enjoyable to savor, yet not something you would want to pick up and drink all that often. For what it is it is highly drinkable. The flavors evolve very well and the abv while evident is still not close to what you might expect 19%+ to be when consuming this

4.17/5  rDev -8.4%

A - 2009 vintage. It pours pitch black with a small medium tan head that quickly recedes, leaving no lacing.

S - The bourbon presence is strong. It also has a lot of sweetness. There is also light vanilla and woody notes.

M - Full in body. Pretty thick with very light carbonation.

T - It's very sweet up front with chocolate, and molasses. It finishes with strong bourbon notes, light vanilla, and oak. There is a strong alcohol presence, which is to be expected.

This is a huge beer, I'm glad I got a chance to try it. If you like bourbon this beer is for you. Even though I enjoyed it, I don't think I would seek this beer out again. It's not bad, just way to strong. Took forever to finish it.

4.17/5  rDev -8.4%

2010 Vintage. Really been waiting a while to try this and I just moved so what better beer to break in the new house.

A= Pours into my Duvel Tulip a deep black color with a nice finger of head on it that falls fast and leaves a coca cola like fizz on top of the glass. A somewhat impressive head despite the size of the beer. The lacing is nowhere and the bubbles left after a while come strictly from the laser etching on the glass.

S= Smells of sweet sticky booze. Molasses comes to mind as well as maple syrup. The barrel comes through in a more minimal sense. The vanilla is present but again a bit minimal. An interesting mix. Nothing I would concider to be that amazing.

T= The taste is actually a bit suprising. Really sweet. The booze isn't as prominate as I would have expected. The sweetness is almost unbearable however. There is a big booze sting to it that dies a bit as it warms. Molasses come through the most. A decent bit of barrel and vanilla comes through as well. Mostly just really sweet though with a big booze bite.

M= The mouth is actually pretty thick for the size of the beast. Thick and slick like oil. There is a bit of an alcohol vapor left in my mouth that thins it out a bit in the finish.

O= This isn't as transending as I thought it would be. It is mostly just different because the hype and following this beer has. Worth checking out for sure and an amazing beer but it isn't nearly what people have said it is. In the end this is still a huge RIS with a ton of sugars in it. For what this beer is and where it came from I will say it is great though. Worth checking out but not worth blowing the bank. I think most local RIS's have a more nostalgic effect and are usually better per individuals taste.

4.17/5  rDev -8.4%

Big thanks to Hoppymeal for bring a bottle of this to the Kuhnhenn Solstice tasting....obviously this is a white whale for 90% of BA's right now so I was excited to try a sample of this big stout.

poured a 4 oz. sample into a 10oz Kuhnhenn snifter

poured jet black with a small dark tan head that disappated quickly leaving a slight lacing on the glass. Smell is sweet w/ hints of molasses, vanilla, bourban, oak and alcohol. The taste is much of the same. This is a big sweet stout, which is to be expected with such a high ABV. Shockingly enough the booze was fairly well hidden, but the sweetness was a bit much for me and cancelled out some of the subtle flavors that could make this beer great. I think with a few years of aging this could be a spectacular heavy and complex stout. I am certainly glad to have tried this ale...I've always felt as though this was an over hyped beer, but after trying it I can honestly say that it is a supreme effort at a high alcohol stout and reminds me a big of DogFish Head's World Wide Stout which is one of the finest ales to age IMHO. Good Job to the Bruery and I hope to try this one again in a few years when some of the sweetness dies out. Thanks again Derek!

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thick, black pour with no head. Aroma is sweet and of bourbon. Flavor is very balanced for something this big, very sweet and malty but not as hot as I would have expected. Overall a great brew, but I'm not sure it was worth all the hype that surrounded it.

4.18/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

This is my first time having it. 2012 vintage. I don't know what to think... The color really threw me off as it was almost a deep brown opposed to the usually opaqueness of stouts. Second was the taste. Only other stout with a similar taste profile I can think of is DFH WWS. It's a helluva tasty beer, but not what I expected.

Black Tuesday from The Bruery