Black Tuesday - The Bruery

2010: 18.2% ABV
2011: 18.3% ABV
2012: 19.2% ABV
2013: 18.9% ABV

(Beer added by: OlieIPA on 07-18-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Black Tuesday Alström Bros
3.53/5  rDev -22.1%

After having Black Tuesday at the HOTD dock sale, I looked forward to opening this bottle at a tasting with friends last night so I could give it a proper review.

The beer appears black in my glass fading into a clear brown hue on the edges as I hold it up to the light. I expected it to be a little thicker and more opaque in it's color.

It smells sweet like dark fruits, roasty and oaked. The taste is just like how it smells. There's a dark fruity, bourbon, and vanilla presence that becomes more prominent. Definitely some woody dark chocolate and caramel notes. The mouthfeel is thinner than I expected but the flavors are integrated well which helped mask the 19.5% ABV.

It's quite good and extremely drinkable but is it the best? No, IMHO, but it is definitely one of the better stouts out there.

bgramer, Dec 07, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -21%

A big thanks to GregMcQ for sharing a bottle with me and many other BA friends.

A: Pours an opaque black color. A very minimal and bubbly tan head forms. The foam recedes in an second, and leaves no lace. Just an extremely dense liquid.
S: An awesome aroma of toasted, chocolate malt. Brown sugar. Dry wood, oak, and vanilla. Very sweet aromas. Some raisin and dark fruits. Lots of alcohol from the start.
T: Not nearly as complex as the nose. Still, it is very enjoyable. Alcohol hits right up front. Though raisin and other dark fruits come in to play. Powdered chocolate and vanilla. Alcohol is very powerful.
M/D: A full and sticky body. Very low carbonation. Almost under carbonated. A syrupy adhesive sticks to the tongue. Tons of alcohol. Something that needs to be sipped.

I did really enjoy this beer. Though it is hard to rate, and hard to categorize. Similar to Utopias in how extreme the beer is. Overall this is very good, and something that is great to share with friends. Very much worth a try, but it is still not among my favorites of the style.

champ103, Apr 19, 2010
3.58/5  rDev -21%

2009 version

A - poured reddish dark brown without much of a head

S - smelled very sweet - maple syrup and vanilla with molasses and a modicum of toasted malt. More sweet than anything.

T - Followed the nose perfectly. Opened up extremely sweet - loads of syrupy molasses and vanilla from the bourbon barrels. A lot of chocolate milk chocolate was blended in there as well. It ended very sweet, almost too sweet. I guess the sweetness is warranted for the huge ABV this thing packs.

M - chewy mouthfeel to it with a full body. The booze was really well hidden.

D - this one was overly sweet to me. I felt like this was a huge beer, but the ABV just made it way sweeter than it needed to be. I can see why some people would really like this, but I think the couple glasses I had of it were way more than enough. The overly sweetness got to me after awhile. Good to try, but I wouldn't be disappointed if I never had it again.

---

2010 version - it seemed that molasses wasn't as prominent and this was not as sweet as the 2009 version, albeit it was still extremely sweet.

birchstick, Jan 31, 2011
3.6/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Huge thanks to pecorasc for sharing this one with boothbeer and I. Drank this after having CCB Hunahpu's IS. Poured into a tulip glass.

A- Produced a fingers width of flimsy, cream/mocha colored head. The beer looked a little on the thin side as it was being poured into the glass. Reduced to a thin ring throughout consumption.

S- Big molasses aroma upfront. Alcohol notes produce a nutty-like attribute. Has a sweet, sugary chocolate finish. Other than an ever so slight nose burn, the alcohol was pretty well hidden. Very rich and boozy, but without the alcohol heat.

T- Sweet, very sweet, then intensely sweet. Chocolate, bourbon and molasses rolled into one. Vanilla notes come in midway through along with a boozy finish. Once again, the alcohol is pretty well hidden. The problem was that all of the subtleties were masked by an overbearing sweetness that just seemed to grow and grow as the beer was consumed.

M- Tad disappointing. Heavy bodied, but still retained a much thinner feel than expected. Little carbonation.

D- If I was basing this on ABV, this would have received a 5.0. Drinks more like a 9-10% RIS. However, the sweetness was an absolute overkill and that's an understatement. Became nearly unbearable towards the end.

Overall, just flat out too sweet. Couldn't help but think I would contract diabetes after drinking this. There is a depth and complexity there, but for the most part it's masked. Glad I finally got to try it, but won't be seeking it out in the future.

rhinos00, Mar 24, 2010
3.65/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I have had the privilege of trying this brew each year it was released but never got around to writing a formal review. This time I am making it happen with a fresh 2012 bottle into a matching Bruery snifter. The brew pours brown in color as it streams out of the bottle and collects in my glass as a darker fudgy brown color. About a finger of khaki head sits atop and fades to a thin film across the top with less than a half finger holding around the outside perimeter of the glass. Rising bubbles maintain that partial forth around the edge of the glass seemingly throughout the entire duration. When held to the light, the brew shows some lighter brown coloration around the edges with hints of red.

The aroma of this brew is sweet with suggestions of vanilla and chocolate. There are plenty of dark fruity alcohol esters present in the nose mixing with a significant supporting role of whiskey. The residual sweetness of the nose is reminiscent of belgian candy sugar coupled with vinous notes. As the brew warms up, some herbal hop notes come forward. When swirled and as the brew warms, there are very minor roasty elements.

The initial flavors are quite sweet but there is a significant amount of booze also present that is borderline numbing to the tongue. A lot of dark fruity alcohol mingles on the tongue creating flavors akin to raisins, plumes, prunes and molasses with again, a kick of solvent alcohol. When bigger sips are taken, there is a bit of an herbal hop present and dry oak quality. As it warms up, it gets somewhat medicinal with a greater focus on whiskey aspects instead of beer.

This is a full bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. It has a huge alcohol impact that really suppresses the overall drinkability. There is quite a bit of complexity here to take in and I gotta say this one has me scratching my head. I dont want to be "that guy" who proclaims the Bruery and this beer has changed but quite frankly, this is not the same beer I remember enjoying in years past. I realize the recipe isn't the same each year and the alcohol varies but this is a significant variance from years past. This is more like a fruity/vinous dark belgian strong ale than the thick and syrupy chocolate smoothie of a beast stout I remember.

stakem, Dec 23, 2012
3.68/5  rDev -18.8%

Had on tap at the release party Nov 27.

Poured a nice jet black with small tan head. A swirl of the glass left a thick residue on the side. Awesome.

Smelled of bourbon and dark fruit. I am almost able to get drunk off inhaling this stuff , its so hot..

One sip and you realize this isnt an ordinary beer. There is plenty of stout style flavors in this ; Coffee, chocolate, bourbon, a bit of a grainy flavor as well, like a chewy nutty taste. However the alc% just bites right through all of it at times when i wish it hadn't. The flavors are just too big all around at this time, an d i wonder how this will age.

Mouthfeel is just about right, as is isnt too thick like bourbon county.

One 4 oz taster and i was feelin pretty buzzed, i couldnt drink a whole bottle alone, or even 2 people probably. It's like drinking liquor with alot more flavor than usual.

Overall I am glad i didnt spend 30$ on a bottle because this to me isn't as good as say The Abyss, and thats 12$.

BastardKing24, Apr 22, 2010
3.7/5  rDev -18.3%

Thanks Joe for splitting the bottle. Shared 4 ways with the renegades of funk as part of the pre-EBF tasting.

The appearance is incredible. It pours pitch black with a very impressive head formation in the Bruery tulip. It's got a thick consistency and is one finger high at first, and then recedes to a dark brown ring of very fine bubbles. Some film is left on the glass.

The aroma is gigantically malty with some liquor character coming from the bourbon. Rich chocolate with a touch of coffee, vanilla, oak, and alcohol form a very complex and strong nose. This is the strongest smelling beer I've smelled, but not the most boozy.

The first flavor match I thought of was java chip coffee ice cream. Charred wood, chocolate powder, vanilla, marshmallows and bourbon make up a strong and rich flavor. As it warms, the bourbon unfortunately comes through more, but so does molasses, brown sugar, white sugar, and maple. It's complex, interesting, and boozy. After every sip, it made me think more than it made me say "this is a good beer." I can appreciate these complexities and the uniqueness though.

Black Tuesday is the thickest beer I've ever had. The level of carbonation was higher than I expected, but it helped. It felt like I was drinking something with a lot of un-dissolved sugar, as there was obviously a lot of residual sugars in this. This made it a bit hard to drink. It became a chore towards the end, so I left a bit in the glass and went to sleep. It tasted surprisingly similar the next morning, with more of a marshmallow character to it.

I was very interested in trying this beer, and I liked it more than I thought. I'd like to try next years release, which I think will be an improvement over the first attempt.

jeffthecheff, Feb 21, 2010
3.7/5  rDev -18.3%

Thanks Kevin for sharing this!

A- Body is a deep, dark, viscous black color. Fizzy head appears and fades quickly into a thin, light tan collar.

S- Nose is very boozy at first-which is to be expected for a 40 proof beer. Alcohol astringency all over the place, beneath this is a very sweet background of bourbon, peanut butter, milk chocolate, amaretto, vanilla, toffee, and caramel.

T- Flavor is very sweet at first. Milk chocolate, notes of sweet bourbon, caramel, and sugary sweetness. The finish is much like the initial flavor and is surprisingly smooth with minimal alcohol astringency- but it packs a lot of heat at the end with a big alcohol warmth.

M- Low carbonation. Thick, syrupy, and smooth and creamy. Minimal alcohol consistency.

D- I am very pleasantly surprised by this one because its a 19.5% beer that drinks like an 11%. This was split amongst 5 people so I had a good 5 oz-but not a whole serving. A good beer overall-but inconceivable for it not to be shared-so I am hesitant to give the drinkability a 4. Surprisingly not boozy with the exception of the nose and VERY sweet. This brew is quite complex-but not really balanced.

PittBeerGirl, May 24, 2010
3.73/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2013 bottle shared by some great people after Hunahpu's Day 2014. Great deep black with some tan head, decent legs, not much for lacing. Hot hot hot. Even with a year on this, the bourbon heat is alive and well. Aroma is boozey up front, vanilla, toffee, and molasses behind that bourbon heat. Taste is also very boozey. I get the vanilla, some faint dark fruit (raisin or something of the like), some good oakiness. Slightly thin in the mouthfeel, but I enjoy the low carbonation and fairly thick body.

mverity, Mar 10, 2014

*Re-reviewed on 7/30/09*

The taste has developed much more and it's drinking wonderful now. Not as cloyingly sweet, which had turned me off. I didn't really find any flavor from the oak though. The nose has a huge soy sauce aroma too. I'm giving a lower rating to the smell and bigger rating to the taste.

*Original Review*

Pitch black liquid with a dark tan head. Smells like chocolate, sweet malt, bourbon creeping in, vanilla, oak.

Taste is very sweet. Intense malt. Bourbon isn't as prominent in the flavor profile as expected. Oak is there but backlashed by the overall sweetness. Alcohol is amazingly well hidden behind this barrier of sugary liquid. Not much of a surprise.

BearsOnAcid, Mar 13, 2010
3.73/5  rDev -17.7%

2010 bottle into a snifter.

A: Black body with dark brown highlights throughout; head was thin, and diapated quickly leaving a thin light brown foam.

S: Hot, definatley smell the booze, coffee, and chocolate. Heavy on the alcohol.

T: Sweet (a little to sweet for my taste) and very hot! Alcohol is really heavy although not as bad as I expected.

M: Thick, heavy, sticky.

O: I was really amped to try this one and I wasn't sure what to really expect. Overall it was solid, but I am glad I didnt trade away my cellar or drop $40 on a bottle. I think I will stick to RIS's around 10% ABV. Just a little to heavy on the alcohol for me.

Cheers!