Black Tuesday - The Bruery

2013: 18.9% ABV
2014: 19.7% ABV
Reviews: 609 | Hads: 3,279
4.68/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Popped open this '13 vintage at a share, about an 8 oz pour around cellar temp.

Pours a near-black body with a thin mocha head, minimal lacing and retention, unsurprising given the abv.

Smell is of a sweet and roasty malt base with bourbon present and not overpowering. Nice notes of chocolate, vanilla, toffee, caramel, and figs.

Taste is akin to the nose, with a roasty sweet base, medium bitterness, good bourbon flavor, and barrel characters shining through. Alcohol is noticeable but incredibly palatable given the insane abv.

Mouthfeel is thick, smooth, syrupy, sticky, low carbonation, very nice.

Overall, a phenomenal BBA stout worthy of the accolades it receives. (677 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +5.2%

Big thanks to jrallen24 for this beautiful bottle.

750ml split three ways. Snifter style.

Pours jet black with an oily and creamy dark brown head [note: I said that this was perhaps the darkest head I've seen...but was beaten later in the night by Marshall Zhukovs]. Looks like old motor oil. Head dies down to a blanket covering, but restores easily with a swirl.

Rich and decadent aroma of caramel, sweet dark chocolate, and ___ . Bourbon notes are present but are definitely secondary behind the sweet candied flavors. Fusel alcohol notes are also unsurprising existent and while they significantly increase as it warms, they are definitely in the back.

Taste is very sweet upfront (chocolate syrup, molasses, and caramelized sugars) and this sugary sweetness transitions seamlessly into sweet bourbon flavor and builds from there. The bouron barrel gives off nice earthy flavors of toasted wood, vanilla bean, and licorice. This really isn't an overly roasty RIS, and I don't really get coffee...and it doesn't bother me one bit. The alcohol is AMAZINGLY well hidden and the barrel perfectly integrated.

The mouthfeel is syrupy and viscous, and while I thought it would be too much, it is not where near cloying for me. This beer is huge in every way possible but is extremely drinkable considering the 19.5%. We all thought that it tasted much more like a 10% beer. (1,379 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +5.2%

So, we drove eight hours to Orange County for this bad boy. Big Ups to my main man eliottJW for getting an early allotment and sharing this experience with me.

Poured from a Bruery Champagne bottle into a Russian River Tulip.

The color on this is surprising. While black, there are still hints of light around the edges making a sort of deep brown appearance. A solid pour yielded a one finger width of quickly receding vibrant brown foam. Everything about the pour put any unease about a lack of carbonation at rest. As I drank the glass down there was no lacing left behind.

The nose on this beer frankly frightens me. It's that figgy pudding, ten loaves of bread in a bottle malt punch that I will forever associate with Goose Island's BCS, a beer I do not enjoy. There's the lovely bourbon hit too but it is swallowed by malts. In a nod to the subjectivity of reviews I will note that the smell is full and colorful with a blunt shape. I get a little of the bourbon and maaayyybeee some licorice but ultimately it's a blast of bread.

The mouthfeel is luscious. Velvety liquid coats my palate but doesn't get jammy in the process. The only note here would be related to the carb bite. I would have actually enjoyed an even more viscous brew especially as the bubbles kept reminding me of just how alcoholic this beer is. That said I'd rather take the bite than have a totally flat beer.

The taste on this beast is stupid, and should be illegal. After the abuse of the nose I was expecting the hottest alcohol hit ever, but was met instead by a sumptuous maiden of flavor. There are the dark fruits I crave in a RIS, some prune and maybe a hit of raisin like sweetness. There's also that wonderful Abyss like hint of candied sugars. But the thing that sets BT apart is the incredibly smooth and balanced flavor of bourbon that pervades the quaff. I have to force my tongue upward to taste any bittering on its sides and it is there like I expected, keeping a lid on an extremely sweet beer.

If this astronomically high ABV is correct I can't believe how drinkable this brew is. Clearly meant to be sipped and enjoyed like a distilled beverage, I have never wanted to drink so much of such a potentially dangerous beverage. Hats of to the Bruery. I count myself extremely lucky to try this rare treat. (2,308 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +5.2%

The hype train is officially leaving the station. I am hopping on board.

Appearance - Black. A dark sky on a stormy night at sea. The absence of light. It has a very nice mocha colored head that even seems to have a little froth. The head sticks around and gathers at the bottom of the glass when finished. It looks fantastic. Of the RIS I've head, this might be the finest looking one.

Smell - Wonderfully complex. Lots of vanilla. A hint of bourbon as well. Also, it seems like a little oak and smoke. The slightest glimmer of coffee and roast malt. Definitely some chocolate. Finally, toasted marshmallows. I agonized over this score for about fifteen minutes. It's no worse than a 4.5, that's for sure.

Taste - Where to begin? Cherry. Also, lots of that vanilla. The oak and smoke makes the tiniest appearance. There is the bourbon as well. About a hundred flavors I'm not quite identifying. There is a real sweetness, it's like the sweet roasted marshmallow. I swear there's some honey in there. There is a tiny fraction of roast malt bitterness on the end that is less than desirable.

Mouthfeel - Superb. It's about the richest, creamiest, most decadent thing imaginable. It's like hot chocolate. But there is enough carbonation that it's not a flat mess. Coats the tongue. Lovely.

Drinkability - I flat out refuse to believe that this is almost 20% alcohol. That's half as strong as vodka. The only reason I might believe it is because I felt a little tipsy afterwards. This shit is lethal. Smooth as hell.

Damn. I wanted to not really like this beer, and here I sit. There are three things I really can't debate. 1: It looks great. Not quite sure how a RIS could possibly look better. 2: The mouthfeel is fantastic. Even the lady friend who never notices that sort of thing said, "you have to mention how great that mouthfeel was!" 3: It may be impossible to have a more drinkable 20% beer. If anything, I may be selling this short. I'm going to re-review when I get my bottles when there isn't so much hubbub.

But it's a hell of a beer. (Edit: It was obviously on-tap. I have corrected that.) (2,113 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +5.2%

I've now tried this three separate times, and last night, in celebration of my college graduation (along with my roommate's as well) we had a massive bottle opening, with this being the first.

Appearance: Dark. Pitch black with amber-brown highlights that block all light even from a close source. Among the darkest beers I've ever had SRM wise, it's just darker than dark. Head is a little latent, cropping up at the end of the pour, and lacing thickly as it loosens up.

Smell: Whew, bourbon, chocolate, prune-raisin, cherry, roasted and toasted malts, and a hint of sweetness on the back-end, but predominantly bourbon and chocolate. Boozy character is there as well, but mostly just as more bourbon.

Taste: So, so much smoother than the smell gives the impression of. Bourbon is mellow and soft, accenting the big chocolate, roasted malt sweetness. The dark fruits come in strongly in the aftertaste, and finishes with an intensely complex dark bourbon sweetness. Whew.

Mouthfeel: Second smoothest beer I've ever had, only to its counterpart of Chocolate Rain, which I still think has a better flavor. Carbonation is nice here though, and all three times I've had BT I've appreciated the carbonation's presence in helping add some liveliness to the incredibly thick and heavy body. Still, just so smooth.

Drinkability: It's essentially 40 proof. It's not easy to drink more than a few glasses of this, that's for sure. In that way, drinkability is low. In the way of masking the ABV, seemingly clocking in around GI BCS' 13%, it's eminently so. Catches up to you quickly, too. Altogether, no doubt one of the best beers I've ever had, and I don't even really love bourbon barrel beer. It's not the hype that's made this beer world-famous, but the smoothness, complexity, and fantastic flavors of a beer that clocks in at almost 20% ABV. (1,844 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2012 vintage 19.2

A: Is not an incredibly dark beer - murky brown/ruby red tinges along the sides of the glass. Sits pitch black in the glass. No head to speak of at all.

S: Amazing! Incredibly balanced and not very boozy at all, really. Sweet vanilla, coconut, and bourbon caramel. Dark chocolate, milk chocolate, some booze soaked fruits - plums and cherries. Some oak is present as well. There is a distinctive spiciness - cinnamon and gingerbread. Just a very inviting, strongly aromatic, brilliantly balanced.
-note: I'd give this a 5 but I want to see what CR brings to the table

T: Very sweet but balanced. The sweetness counters the alcohol so well. Rich chocolate, tons of sweet vanilla/coconut/oak, some booze soaked dark fruits, cherry juice, and some coffee at the finish. The spiciness from the aroma comes in at the finish as well.

P: Full, but not very viscous. Very smooth. There is a pop of carbonation that subsides with some swirling.

O: An astounding malt beverage. The impeccable balance and complexity makes for an exceedingly enjoyable drinking experience. (1,085 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +5.4%

*This review was a fresh bottle of '09.

Big thanks go out to Mauerhan, one of the most generous and fair traders on this site, for hooking me up with this bottle. Had this last night, shared with friends, took a few notes.

Strange thing happened. As I cut into the wax around the cap, I heard a fizzing sound before I even popped the cap off. That's odd. Poured a dark brown color when viewed in the light, but was completely black in the glass, no head or lacing. Not sure why/how the appearance on this one has been garnering so many 5's, but I digress.

This beer smelled exceptional. Those who know me well know I love bourbon, and this is the best smelling bourbon barrel aged beer I've ever come across. So much wood and bourbon, followed by dark chocolate, graininess, figs, light vanilla, and port. Yep.. This smells amazing. The aroma was easily my favorite part of this beer.

Upon first sip, when it was still a little cold, it tasted much like port, with plenty of chocolate and bourbon. It's a very sweet, complex combination of figs, brown sugar, caramel, and chocolate. As it warms up, the bourbon really starts to come out, especially after a few swirls of the glass, along with some cocoa powder-like chocolate. To me, it literally tasted like a liquid bourbon ball. Outstanding!

The mouthfeel was really great on this beer, really thick, viscous, light carbonation. The only complaint here is that it nearly became cloyingly sweet, and left a little too much of a sugary coating in my mouth and on my lips.

Drinkability really is lower for me on this one. For 19%, the alcohol is well hidden on the tongue, but it does have a good warming as it goes down, and the sweetness/richness is a little much after awhile. The 8-9oz pour I had was just enough, I think. I couldn't see drinking much more than 10oz of this at a time.

Great brew. Glad I got to try this one. No further comments.

Thanks again, Topher! (1,934 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +5.4%

Some kind soul gave me a pour at DLD. From the BT '09 bottle.

Pours a sugar-shimmering black with a small ring of whitish-tan head. This is big and looks yummy. The nose is enormous vanilla, with the rest being hints of wood, bourbon, chocolate, roast. But, this is a big huge vanilla bomb. One of the best smelling beers I've had. Unbelievable taste of vanilla bourbon. Side flavors of wood, and chocolate, roast, coffee, a touch of dark fruit. Definitely a sweet sipper of a beer. Little to no booziness, which is a shocking feat (might be the age). Unlike Bourbon County Rare, this has less depth of flavor and more punch you in the face vanilla. The mouthfeel is excellent, big, sticky with low carbonation. One of the top few beers I have ever had. Wow. Liked this better than Chocolate Rain, though everyone else felt the opposite way. This is legit.

[edit: since had this a few times and am dinging it a bit because none of my other goes have been quite as good as the original review] (994 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Standard 750mL Bruery bottle, poured into a snifter glass. 2013 bottle.

A: Black. Very little head or apparent carbonation. Almost no lacing. Flows oily.

S: Some roasty-ness, bitter fruits and booze. Sweet too.

T: Similar to the smell. Big boozy beer with lots of biter fruits. Not as much coffee/caramel/bourbon as expecting, but its not lacking. Very excellent. Doesnt taste like 19% either, thats not to say you cant taste the alcohol but it works well, it tastes strong, it works well but doesnt taste like im drinking 19%.

M: Oily and coating. A great thick feel, it coats the mouth.

O: I have had this beer sitting in a beverage cooler for about 5 months, anticipating opening it. I finally opened it, it wasnt what I expected (I was expecting more bourbon), but it was amazing in what it was. (804 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +5.4%

Had this at the Black Tuesday event at the Bruery and split a bottle with my friends at a later date, this review is a combination of the two.

Enjoyed out of a Bruery tulip. (how appropriate)

Appearance - Well, there is no head whatsoever on this beer. At first I figured it was because of the small pour at the event but having it a second time, with a larger amount in the glass, yielded the same result. Otherwise its black in the core with hints of reddish brown on the edges.

Smell - A wonderful combination of vanilla, chocolate, malts, and bourbon. Very pleasant and balanced, a lot of people say they just smell booze, while that wouldn't be unthinkable given the ABV there are a lot more wonderful aromas going on in there. My one friend, literally, could not take his nose out of his snifter, he loved it.

Taste - It's amazing. Asides hitting your tongue with a balanced myriad of BB RIS flavors, it is frighteningly smooth. I've had beers that were 10% and had a mild alcohol burn to them. This, not in the slightest. Nothing but smooth sweet vanilla, bourbon, chocolate, and some really nice port wine flavors. Fantastic.

Mouthfeel - Well it is incredibly smooth as I said, however it's not as thick as some other RIS's out there, which is in no way a bad thing, as a matter of fact it completely works for this beer. If it was any thicker this beer would be a bit overwhelming.

Overall - It's great. Very happy to have enjoyed this beer. I am supremely excited to open up the rest of the bottles I have in the future, and am looking forward to going to the Black Tuesday event again this year. (1,613 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +5.4%

I drank this from a 22oz bottle into my Rochefort chalice for New Years Eve.

The beer is very black, only showing the tiniest bit of brown in the light. The head is dark tan, rises about one finger. It looks full and creamy but it is sadly gone in about a minute only leaving a ring of head around the glass. The lacing is poor as is the carbonation.

The aroma is very malty, sweet and enticing. It smells wonderful and begs you to come back again and again. Vanilla dominates the nose, with notes of candy, and raspberries. This sweetness is balanced out by a touch of oak, bourbon and alcohol at the end.

The tase is very matly as well, extremely sweet to start. There is a ton of vanilla and light chocolate on the front, in the middle you get oak and it finishes with a medium alcohol, specifically bourbon taste.

The feel is little lighter than I'd hope for, not watery but not great. The finish is nice as tickles your throat and warms it up on the way down, totally from alcohol.

The drinkablility is nice, you taste the tiniest bit of alcohol but that's to be expected with a 19.5% abv.

Overall, this beer is very good and definitely lives up to all the hype. The 2009 is drinking great right now, aging does wonders. (1,236 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +5.4%

A: This is a nice beautifull black beer with minimal head.

S: Beer with a wonderful smell but I can not name it.

T: Very very sweet.

M: Magnificent and glorious controlled carbonation.

O: Super beer with an extremely delicious very sweet aftertaste. (253 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to beerad and kenoftheyear for splitting a bottle last night. Served in a tulip.

Motor oil pour yielding some bubbles and a quickly fading head. There's a good film as well.

Huge bourbon presence in the sniffer. Chocolate syrup, dark fruit a hint of wood. Bourbon is the stand out so far though.

Tastes exactly like bourbony cake batter! Extremely sweet and velvety. Brownies covered in Hershey's syrup and sugar. Again, this is VERY sweet! I can feel cavities forming.

There's no chance this is 19%, but there's also no way I could polish off the whole bottle by myself either. It's a very unique, dessert-forward RIS that should do some interesting things the longer it sits in the bottle. Good stuff! (714 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +5.6%

Wow, what a beer! Celebrating Fat Tuesday with a Black Tuesday. This is from the first batch. For such a high alcohol beer there is an impressive head and while there is no lace the covering and ring on top is pretty. Smell leaves me impressed with the barrels used. Bourbony alcohol and light oak hit first but then there is a huge cherry and faint chocolate smoke. Vanilla and burnt caramel accentuates the overall sweetness. Taste is superb. It follows the nose but builds with a bigger oak component and a sublimated bourbon. Cherry sweetness has me seeing a box of Godiva as the chocolate is so milky. Vanilla flavored dark roasted malts, Bourbon is perfectly integrated and this reminds me of a bigger BB version of Kate. For the abv the alcohol is nigh on invisible. Don't get me wrong. You know it is there but nowhere near the actual level. Feel is amazingly carbonated for the amount of booze in the glass and it compliments the light syrupy feel perfectly. Sticky but easy to swallow and Pappy Van Winkle smooth. Drinkability is criminal. This goes down like Brooklyn Chocolate stout at almost twice the strength. So glad I've finally opened a bottle. (1,162 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2009 edition generously shared by Shane. Thanks! Enjoyed this one over the course of a couple hours with Shane and Dyan. This provided a nice contrast to all the bottles of lambic we opened that day.

The pour is black and opaque, impressively dark for the style. It's even black around the edges, and the head is nearly black itself. I'd describe this beer as black.

It smells strongly of bourbon and brownies. The bourbon imparts a strong aroma of caramel, which is supported by a huge chocolate malt foundation. Where's the alcohol? I have no idea. At 19.5% ABV, it's unbelievable how mellow this is. While it's not the most complex stout I've come across, it's certainly a feat of brewing.

The taste opens with bourbon, vanilla, toffee and bittersweet chocolate. Rich and full-bodied, but surprisingly it's neither syrupy nor cloying. Very little heat, and no harshness - I've tried -bal aged beers of half the ABV that tasted hotter. Amazing. Molasses-like sweetness along with a mild roastiness appear mid-palate. Carbonation is fairly ample, enough to give the beer a lively texture and ward off the taste of alcohol. The finish is sweet, a bit woody, with lingering flavors of coffee, caramel and slight alcohol. It's warming going down, the only indication that this is anywhere near 19.5%.

Drinkability isn't especially high, it did take me a couple hours to finish 1/3 of a bottle, but with that said it never became cloying or harsh - it's just such a filling and intense beer that I can't see myself wanting to drink it often or in large quantities. (1,565 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle, big thanks from my man in Cali, Hophead84, who went beyond the call of duty to help me out with some pre-sales of this stuff back when it came out - finally getting to crack a bottle with a few BAs. Cheers mate!

Pours a deep deep black, a thin ring or ruby molasses color around the edges when held to the light, a surprising mocha head builds on the pour but doesn't have much staying power.

My nose picks up toasted brown sugar with almost a hint of cinnamon crunch, rich chocolate, a touch of molasses. Quite sweet, so full.

This is pretty much the ultimate dessert beer and that was how I approached it, fantastic in small amounts but not something you'd drink a whole bottle of. Mega sweet but somehow never getting of hand. Fudgy chocolate, a hint of baker's chocolate, vanilla, something vinous in there, a touch of bourbon, a touch of roast but wouldn't have minded a bit more to counter the sweetness, light booze and warming in the swallow but imagined a whole lot more, somehow they hide it extremely well. Lots of complexity for such a big beer, each sip picking up a few new things - wasn't expecting that.

Thick, rich mouthfeel that coats your whole mouth, rich without being overly syrupy. Again, perhaps a little more dryness in the finish could have aided the balance but it's so luxurious and rich that this is only nitpicking.

A ton of effort and $ went into getting this beer and I thought it might be a touch of a letdown. It wasn't. It's a great beer, perhaps not my all time favorite but certainly in that top echelon. (1,560 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750 ml bottle, no bottled-on date, poured into a snifter.

A- Pours a deep brown color, nearly black, some mahogany hues at the edges, produces a thin brown head that recedes to a collar, leaves no lacing but has some nice legs.

S- Very big, rich aroma, lots of bourbon and dry wood. The aroma also has some sweet notes of chocolate, vanilla, and molasses. Some coffee and roasted grain as well. Surprisingly it isn't that boozy for 18%.

T- Lots of sweet sugar and vanilla up front, as the sweetness subsides flavors of chocolate, caramel, molasses and bourbon become more prominent, there's also some roast and coffee flavor towards the finish, which is fruity and has caramel flavors. Really delicious stuff, it's very sweet and very boozy but not in an overpowering way, very drinkable and balanced.

M- Full-bodied, thick and chewy feel, moderate to low carbonation, boozy warmth is noticeable but isn't hot.

O- A delicious beer, the richness and complexity of flavor is really incredible, it's a fantastic sipping beer but is also not as hot or sweet as you might expect for such a massive beer, this is my favorite beer from the Bruery, which is really saying something. (1,179 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours motor oil black with a thin mocha tan head that dissipates quickly leaving a flimsy thin layer head throughout. High alcohol heat and bourbon aroma are detected along with some burnt caramel and licorice, oak, vanilla, molasses which is exactly what the flavor suggests as well. As the session continues, the special-release brew offers a smooth and silky finish. Sticky medium-body with soft carbonation. A very nice and memorable high ABV Russian Imperial Stout. This was the first big beer of 2012 for me and glad I started the new year with a bang! (558 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +5.6%

Sweet chocolate cake with roasty malt in the aroma, along with bourbon-typical notes of vanilla and toffee. Taste is similar to nose, decadent and full bodied. Dark chocolate and roasted malt (probably from the charred oak barrel) dominate. Faint anise... actually more like molasses. The alcohol presence was surprisingly subdued for such a big brew.

- 2013 vintage
- 750mL bottle poured into wine glass on 22-Nov-14
Best tasting of BT so far.

- 2012 vintage
- 750mL bottle poured into stemless wine glass on 20-Oct-13

- 2012 vintage
- 750mL bottle poured into tasting snifter on 23-Nov-12
Only difference I noticed is that it's more balanced than the '11 bottle fresh.

- 2011 vintage
- Cellared on 26-Oct-11
- 750mL poured into tasting snifter on 31-Mar-12

- 2011 vintage
- Tapped @ Bruery Provisions (Orange, CA)
- Poured into tasting snifter on 26-Oct-11 (877 characters)

2010 Release

A: Dark, black syrup with thin skin of mocha on the surface. Great legs when swirled. Appears very thick.

A: Cocoa, bourbon, dark fruits, dark brown sugar, slight molasses. Very inviting.

T: Yep, as it smelled. Vanilla, chocolate, roasted malt, bourbon and dark fruits. Alcohol surprisingly not really noticeable. Damn... this is good.

M: One of the richest beers I've experienced. Heavy viscosity that coats the tongue. Light carbonation leads to smooth feel. Amazingly not boozy given high ABV.

D: Thick, delicious and smooth, however a couple of half pours is about all one needs to completely enjoy this amazing beverage. This is definitely one to be shared with friends. (694 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +5.6%

This was nothing short of intense. Intensity in a bottle, in fact.

Pours… what do you think with a name like Black Tuesday? Doesn’t disappoint, either.

The aroma is just as big, bold, and overpowering. Monster stout plus dark Belgian ale plus barrel aging means there’s a lot to unpack: dark chocolate, coffee, raisins, figs, floral esters, vanilla, leather, and some booze all come to mind. Each sip unravels another element of the same. Lots of heat. Too much, in fact, to bring it together as it warms. At least for this reviewer I found the heat distracting when it should be inviting. Another year or five, however… (631 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +5.6%

From 12/12/10 notes. Got to try this at a local tasting thanks to drabmuh. Big thanks Matt, this was my biggest want!

a - Pours a jet black color with two to three inches of fluffy tan head that stays throughout drinking and light carbonation evident. Leaves a tiny bit of lacing on the glass, looks perfect.

s - Smells of bourbon, oak, chocolate, roasted malts, dark fruit, and vanilla. Also a little sweet brown sugar or molasses. Very enjoyable; it's complex and balanced.

t - Tastes of bourbon, oak, chocolate, roasted malts, vanilla, and molasses. Also a little bit of raisin or dark fruit. Taste is a bit hot but still great to me, as I love bourbon.

m - Medium to full body and low carbonation. The body is really smooth and creamy and the ABV is very well hidden. It I didn't know this was 18-19% ABV, I would have guessed it was 9%. Love the mouthfeel.

d - Overall I thought this was an amazing beer; one of the best barrel aged stouts I've ever had. While this beer is super hyped and I have been disappointed with some of their hyped beers in the past, this one lived up to the hype. I think it looks and smells great, and has a wonderful mouthfeel, but is a tiny bit hot. I think in 6-12 months this could be even better, if the heat dies down a tiny bit. Either way, if you like bourbon barrel aged stouts you'll still love this one now. Would love to get another bottle of this. (1,397 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2014 version. Poured into a brandy style snifter.

Pours fairly black with brownish edges when held to the light, fat tan head that sticks around for a few sips with no lacing, but amazing legs like you would find with a fine wine. Aroma is vinous - cabernet, barrel, dark fruit, bakers chocolate, vanilla, coconut - almost like a German chocolate cake soaked in bourbon - phenomenal! Aroma carries over into flavor - very wine-like, a lot going on but all in perfect harmony.......tons of bourbon, but not over the top. This beer is hot, make no doubt about it, but at nearly 20% it's to be expected - the sweetness of the stout works so well with the booziness in this one - again, such a great balance, medium bodied with a dry finish. (739 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was my second time having this nectar and it is great.

Super dark black with a tiny whispy of espresso foam.

Aromas of bozze, chocolate, mollases, bourbon, roasted malts, and slightly green hops.

Taste is more of the same. Booozy roasty heaven.

Mouthfeel is thick and drinkability is great.

This reminds me of WWS that has been aged for 6 years.

Killer stuff. (370 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +5.6%

Have been lucky enough to have had this beer both on tap at The Bruery and from a fresh bottle the week it was released.

Pours pitch black with a thin layer of tan, almost brown head.

Great smells as soon as the glass gets within 3 feet of your nose, bourbon is very strong and mixes well with the chocolate, vanilla and molasses.

The thick nectar seems to want to grab hold of the side of the glass and not let go, when it does it almost appears to have stained the glass brown.

The taste is a full mix of bourbon, espresso coffee, molasses, dark fruit, vanilla, oak and roasted malts. While strong the bourbon does not overpower and works with the other flavors instead of competing or trying to cover them up. Alcohol, while evident, is not as strong as you would expect in a beer that is supposed to be 19.5%. A little on the sweet side and thus the reason for the lower taste and drinkability scores, more than 5 or 6 ounces of this would start to be too much for me.

Definitely will drink this beer again and look forward to taking one of my remaining bottles back to the East Coast to share with a couple of friends and family. (1,144 characters)

Black Tuesday from The Bruery