Black Tuesday - The Bruery

2013: 18.9% ABV
2014: 19.7% ABV
Reviews: 610 | Hads: 3,286
3.72/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2013 bottle shared by some great people after Hunahpu's Day 2014. Great deep black with some tan head, decent legs, not much for lacing. Hot hot hot. Even with a year on this, the bourbon heat is alive and well. Aroma is boozey up front, vanilla, toffee, and molasses behind that bourbon heat. Taste is also very boozey. I get the vanilla, some faint dark fruit (raisin or something of the like), some good oakiness. Slightly thin in the mouthfeel, but I enjoy the low carbonation and fairly thick body. (503 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +11%

This is an outstanding BB beer that lived up to the hype. Black as motor oil this monster comes in at 19.2%. The well hidden ABV sneaks up on you and before you realize it the bottle you shared with a few friends is empty and your stumbling about. I cant say enough about this beer as it is one of the best beers in the style I have ever had. If you like BB stouts this is a no brainer with a fantastic stout backbone coupled with the barrel aging makes this treat Legendary.

Bottom Line: Legendary brew! (505 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Shared this on Christmas Eve and it was fitting… it fell on a Tuesday night
Definitely excited for this one and has been on my bucket list

A - Dark as night with a tan finger head

S - Smell comes through as roast, vanilla, oak, chocolate, and bourbon as this barrel really comes through. You would expect this out of the high ABV

T - Definitely the best part of this beer as the bourbon really was not too powerful. The character of the barrels balanced extremely well with the vanilla, chocolate and roast flavors. This is the best 18+% beer I have had

M - Medium bodied for sure with low to minimal carbonation which resounds perfectly with this beer

O - Definitely one of my favorite stouts. I would not put this at the top, but it is hard to improve on this beer. Would love to try the variants some day (814 characters)

4.44/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I'm not a huge Stout fan and really not a bourbon barrel fan but I try to be fair to the tastes and beers I try, like this one.

Smells big and intense yet tasty even to me. Rather intense/big taste but still felt smooth to me over all. The taste, to me, didn't seem to linger on the tongue so long that I couldn't taste anything else, which was a nice difference to me at least. This baby is big and can slap you in the face at 18-19% but if you're a fan of stouts and bourbon barrel aging, definately get this. (512 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +0.4%

A-dark brown black color with a minimal tan head and no lacing

S-dark chocolate, coffee, bourbon, molasses, oak, little vanilla

T-dark roasted malt, coffee, dark chocolate, little dark fruit, oak, little vanilla, bourbon

F-medium body with little carbonation, smooth and a little boozy, but less than one would expect with the ABV

O-enjoyable stout meant for sharing with friends, would drink again (402 characters)

4.44/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

2011 Black Tuesday poured into an Orval glass

A: Black, can't see through it when I hold it up to a light. Two random litte patches of light tan bubbles linger on the surface, other than that there are little signs of carbonation.

S: Booze and chocolate mostly with bourbon and oak being second. I could smell this one the second the seal from the cap broke.

T: Lots of boozey flavor but no burn! Its intense but well balanced out by the chocolate, more of a milky sweeter chocolate, and bourbon. Hints of vanilla and maybe a bit of caramel in the background.

M: Very very thick, maybe the thickest beer I've had up to this point. Its pretty amazing!

O: Seems like this beer is a huge hit or huge miss for a lot of people and I have to say it was a huge hit for me. Its not as sweet as I expected and the alcohol is actually far less detectable than I had anticipated even though it plays a pretty big role in both aroma and flavor. Really nice beer. (955 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

General: So I got this at a white elephant gift exchange with our company. Everyone passed it up because they are all liquor drinkers so I was thrilled to pick it up! Poured this into a small tulip for tasting purposes. I live near The Bruery, about 15 minutes away or so and I have a big problem with their beers. They are going bigger and stronger only. There is no intricate 5% ABV beer in the tasting room, only beers above 10% ABV. That's not my style but I'm going review this fairly and not allow my prejudice to get into it.

Appearance: Black as it gets, this is really dark and has a slightly tan head that diminishes quickly.

Aroma: A slight chocolate hint with a bourbon aroma. there is also a big alcoholic aroma to this. It's intricate though at least, there are undertones of caramel and maybe some sort of rock fruit like a prune or something.

Mouthfeel: This is thick, it is almost like it's got cream in it. It's kind of crazy how much booze in this, I can feel a burn the entire way down to the stomach.

Taste: Booze booze booze. What little flavor of bourbon and chocolate is there is really overpowered by booze but that's what this was intended to be so OK. I'm not a big fan of this beer but for someone who wants a big strong beer, this is it.

Overall: Again it's a Bruery beer. I'm not impressed with the flavors that they developed, I'm more impressed that they created a beer that was 18.9% ABV. This isn't my style but I'm not going to give it poor marks because of that. It is what it is, it's a super strong beer that has a slight chocolate flavor with a hint of bourbon. (1,607 characters)

4.34/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 25 oz bottle into a Bruery snifter glass. Acquired in a trade from vitese, thanks buddy! One of my biggest ISOs.

A- Upon the pour a chocolate brown, translucent stream enters the glass, exhibiting a deep brown body with a 1 finger light mocha colored head that reduces slowly to leave a brown ring of foam. Little lacing.

S- Upfront come big aromas of bourbon, vanilla, maple, and molasses. Upon further evaluation, he background reveals aromas of caramel, toffee, and coffee. I get some boozy aromas every so often, but any 19% beer that doesn't smell like booze is not 19% alcohol.

T- Sweet milk chocolate and caramel upfront, next up next is coffee and a roastyness. Super sweet.. a syrupy fudgyness that coats the tongue. The finish is somewhat roasty, charred. Boozy but not too boozy.

M- Rich, thick, low carbonation. The definition of a sipper.

I was really looking forward to Black Tuesday, and it did deliver. It is on the sweet side, so if you don't prefer sweet stouts this probably isn't for you. I was expecting something more dry like BCBS, but nonetheless the flavor profile worked for what it is. Share this one or split it over a few nights, it's a meal! (1,193 characters)

4.23/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

9/18/13 bottling date. into a tulip

pours a pitch black with a mild beige head. smell is big on ABV and malts..slight dark chocolate. the taste is very big on ABV and malty....big on the bourbon....huge body...sipper...mild carbonation.

overall very good..lovely (264 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I'm pretty sure this was a 2012 bottle, consumed Jan. '14. Dark brown-black pour, no surprise there, topped with a thin brown head that receded to a ringlet; minimal lacing. Aroma was fairly sweet, notes of dark chocolate and vanilla, pretty hot with bourbony booze, licorice, brown sugar, some dark fruits. But the booze was the dominant factor. Fairly sweet up front in the taste (not quite Dark Lord sweet, perhaps), lots of booze, bourbon-soaked oak, bitter dark chocolate, licorice, tobacco, dark fruits, more subtle vanilla, the oak and herbal hops came out a bit more in the finish, and even more so as it warmed. While this was definitely pretty hot and boozy, it still drank fairly well, considering the extremely high ABV. Body was on the fuller side of medium--might as well just call it full--with a slick and somewhat unctuous mouthfeel. A decent brew overall, but doesn't really live up to the hype (welcome to the Bruery). I can get a World Wide Stout at my local shop and experience pretty much the same thing this beer offers (or better), in a better package (aka smaller bottle) and for a better price. (1,120 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to Moyman for this beer.

750mL bottle. Pours a pitch black viscous color with a 1/2 inch of brown head. Minimal lacing. The aroma is a whole lot of booze with some nice vanilla, oak, raisins, dark chocolate, black coffee and earth. The taste is boozey with a great chocolate presence that somehow isn't overpowered by the bourbon. Vanilla hints with some caramel as well. Chocolate and alcohol burn towards the end. More warming alcohol at the finish with dark chocolate. Almost tastes like boozey Hershey's Syrup. Heavy, chewy mouthfeel. I'm surprised that the taste is so complex given the very high Abv. Its not just a boozey mess. Probably one of, if not the best, Barrel Aged Imperial Stouts I have had. Amazing beer. (734 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Black Tuesday has to be one of my favorite beers. This is the beer I use to judge other bourbon aged stouts against, and I haven't found many that stack up to this one. If you're a fan of strong, bourbon aged stouts, then Black Tuesday has to be on your bucket list. (266 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

The Bruery - Black Tuesday, poured into a Lawson's tulip.

Look - Pours a thin viscosity brown and settles black with minimal head. Not much lacing.

Smell - Chocolate malts and bourbon. Smells delish.

Taste - Rich chocolate followed by a nice bourbon warmth. Sweet oak vanilla finish.

Mouthfeel - Full bodied with medium carbonation. Boozy and warm but yummy. Definitely a sipper.

Overall - Great brew, pretty much the epitome of the style. (444 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Opened a 2012 - 19.2% Black Tuesday on 1/4/2014 shared among 3 people.

Aroma: Amazingly complex aroma. Initially it smells a bit boozy but also has a good amount of chocolate and oak with a bit of vanilla at the end.

Appearance: Motor-oil black, pours thick with just a touch of head if you pour correctly. If you pour carefully anticipating head, you won't get any. Alcohol legs on the glass.

Flavor: A bit of alcohol heat, but that is to be expected. Oaky, chocolatey, coffee, vanilla, molasses, a confusingly slight hint of something almost fruity that I couldn't quite pinpoint. If I tried it again, i'm sure I would pick up on something new that I overlooked, there's so many different things going on in this beer.

Mouthfeel: Light-Moderate carbonation with a full body. Sweet, warm, and slick.

Overall: I enjoyed this beer tremendously, the variety of complex flavors make this a unique and delicious beer. It's got about as much flavor as I would think you could possibly get from a beer with an ABV this high. I've drank 10% stouts (almost half as strong) that have tasted boozier than this beer, and that to me is an amazingly well done job. (1,157 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +5.6%

This was nothing short of intense. Intensity in a bottle, in fact.

Pours… what do you think with a name like Black Tuesday? Doesn’t disappoint, either.

The aroma is just as big, bold, and overpowering. Monster stout plus dark Belgian ale plus barrel aging means there’s a lot to unpack: dark chocolate, coffee, raisins, figs, floral esters, vanilla, leather, and some booze all come to mind. Each sip unravels another element of the same. Lots of heat. Too much, in fact, to bring it together as it warms. At least for this reviewer I found the heat distracting when it should be inviting. Another year or five, however… (631 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

A-Pours far from what I was expecting. Instead of a pitch black, viscous beer, it pours lighter than I expected. The body looks almost oily. Dark brown and somewhat thin looking but somehow very oily looking as well. Didn't get much head.

S-A giant whiff of boozy bourbon and all sorts of dark, concentrated maltiness. Loads of fudge and brownie. Some dark fruit and more spicy bourbon and even some vanilla.

T-I really have to applaud this beer for its exceptional integration of alcohol. I was expecting a tongue-sizzling wave of booze but it's surprisingly not nearly as aggressive. The bourbon notes are as powerful as in the nose. The fudge and brownie and other chocolate descriptors all flow across the tongue. Light soy sauce. Vanilla attributed to the bourbon. A big dose of dark fruit as well.

M-Oily, like it looks. Obviously hot. Should be far less drinkable. It's intoxicating in more ways than one. It really wraps you in and begs for more sipping. Super sweet and sticky.

O/D-Lucky to try this one. I enjoyed it but was far less enamored than most. I appreciate Black Tuesday's epic delivery but would not consider it to be anyway near one of the best beers I have had. (1,188 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

One of my all-time wants, at last. I'm glad this year's batch wasn't difficult to get as I thought it would be. 2013 vintage. Poured into a snifter from a 750ml bottle on NYE, and for obvious f***ing reasons, split with as many people as possible. Then again, I might have had 6oz of this, when all was said and done.

Pours a viciously opaque beer, with no light going through this thing at all. No much carbonation or head retention, it seems - about a half film of a fizzy tanned head coated the top of the glass. I believe this is bottle conditioned, but it seems to have made little difference in the carbonation (although I have heard of these gushing before), and overall, well, it's extremely syrup like (think more fortified wines and low ABV chocolate liqueurs) and it's definitely quite intense overall. Not pretty, but not the point here.

Quite a monstrous aroma, too - once you get past the slightly stinging boozy sensation from the beer at hand, lots of flavors reveal themselves in a firm, stoic manner. Dark chocolate, roasted, charred wood and grains. Raisins, prunes, and dates. White pepper and lavender, alongside a cornucopia of barrel spices - vanilla, burnt toffee, caramel, cinnamon, cloves, tobacco, and leather. The bourbon these guys are using is of extremely good quality, and it softens up a lot of of what would make this too harsh to drink. At the same time, a lot of the notes from the bourbon - which would normally be overly sweet - add an elegant vibe to the madness by feeling rich and bright, and not over the top or unbalanced. Really good - could strive for more balance, but I suppose that's not the point here.

Holy hell! The flavor and finish kicks most barrel aged stouts out of the park, however. I was simply stunned on how flavorful and complex this is. At first, you are immediately battered with all kinds of sweet and rich notes from the base beer, consisting of roasted chocolate, fudge, and molasses, as well as some rich dried dark fruit notes, ranging from raisins to cherries. Then, when all is said and done, the bourbon starts to work its magic - tons of vanilla, burnt toffee, caramel, cinnamon, and maple syrup, as well as an aftertaste where all of these flavors are fully enhanced and continue to rise in part of the excellent, creamy oaky notes. More nuances make themselves noticeable as this warms - licorice, tobacco, leather, baking soda.

Unbelievably complex, and a scarily easy beer to drink. While the alcohol was present in the aroma, it's barely noticeable here. You barely feel it, to be honest, and I regretfully drank this much faster than I should have. A little too syrupy overall, and some extra carbonation would really help this thing. Regardless, this is certainly my favorite flavored bourbon stout to date!

Imagine crossing a highly quality RIS, Tawny port, and Kentucky bourbon, and you have Black Tuesday. So many flavors and profiles to pick from, and I'm happy I have two more bottles that I plan on cellaring for a good long while. I'd imagine this would soften up further, and cut the sweetness down in a more elegant manner. Definitely not one that I'd want to have too much at a time, unless it's all I'm drinking that night. While it's not perfect, it tastes pretty amazing. Cheers to the Bruery for this successful experiment! (3,323 characters)

4.91/5  rDev +10.3%

750ml bottle.

color: black, light brown head which quickly diminishes.

nose: caramel, wood, bourbon

taste: sweet caramel, brown sugar, wood (with some charring), vanilla, light dark fruit (prune), very complex

finish: starts sweet, turns acidic ( diminishes with oxidation ), ends with a mild bitterness and some remaining caramel.

overall: I poured this at 50F degrees which was clearly to cold. 55F or 60F is a better starting point. This beer also benefits from oxidation (about 15-30 minutes). Once at the right temperature and oxidized the flavors fully come through.

My impression: This is a "best in class" imperial stout.

Disclaimer: 5 ratings from me do not mean "no room for improvement". I simply do not believe in the concept. 5 rating from me means "best in class" at the time of the tasting.

updated: 12/31/14 (838 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance- not as black as I would have expected. Dark brown/ almost red around the edges but not quite motor oil black. Thin slightly off white collar of a head.

Nose- absurdly good. Big bourbon, milk chocolate, sugary sweet molasses, slight oak, slight booze. I could smell this all day long, I wish they made candles with this smell. Really, it's that good.

Taste- holy shit. Absolutely lives up to the hype. That bruery barrel aged flavor you find in brews like melange 3 and bois is here, big time. Huge bourbon and sweet molasses, slight milky chocolate, a little boozy. Really follows suit with the nose. Perfect mouthfeel. Tastes like 10 or 11%, nowhere near 18.9. Booze is well hidden

Overall- I'm glad this lived up to the hype for me. Really a great balanced beer, glad I have more (800 characters)

4.43/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Black as fuck!!

Bourbon, coffee, dark chocolate, beautiful!!

Smooth as can be! I can't comprehend this is 18%. The finish is so perfectly balanced. It's unreal!

Velvety smooth and chewy.

One outstandingly crafted brew. Hats off to The Bruery. Salud! (253 characters)

4.42/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2013 vintage poured into snifters at a cold temp and allowed to warm. Very good, bit of burn and side by side with Chocolate Rain left us wanting more of both but Rain especially
A: not quite jet black, slight tinge of ruby
S: big bourbon hit, little roasted cocoa,
T: slight bourbon burn, chocolate upfront
M: not too thick but decent consistency and a nice lingering bourbon aftertaste (390 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Popped open this '13 vintage at a share, about an 8 oz pour around cellar temp.

Pours a near-black body with a thin mocha head, minimal lacing and retention, unsurprising given the abv.

Smell is of a sweet and roasty malt base with bourbon present and not overpowering. Nice notes of chocolate, vanilla, toffee, caramel, and figs.

Taste is akin to the nose, with a roasty sweet base, medium bitterness, good bourbon flavor, and barrel characters shining through. Alcohol is noticeable but incredibly palatable given the insane abv.

Mouthfeel is thick, smooth, syrupy, sticky, low carbonation, very nice.

Overall, a phenomenal BBA stout worthy of the accolades it receives. (677 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

2013 vintage

Appearance: Pours dark and thick, as an Imperial Stout should, with a small khaki head that collars quickly. Lots of alcohol legs, as expected.

Smell: Vanilla, Caramel, Coconut, maple syrup, Bourbon, tannins from the barrel, dark fruit, fairly strong scent of alcohol(shocker).

Taste: Amazing blend of caramel, vanilla and dark fruit up front with a bit of a Bourbon bite in the middle. The end is sweet malt with some roasty character. Though there is a bit of heat at the end as expected, I wouldn't have guessed the high abv; this definitely drinks smoother than how much booze it contains. It sure does warm you up going down, however, which is where you can tell how strong it is.

Mouthfeel: Viscous, silky and smooth. Can't see how this could improve.

Overall: Drinks very smooth for the abv and has an amazing combo of flavors, blended extremely well. I'd love to try some older vintages, but I don't see anything wrong with drinking this right now. Not a let down at all, must age amazingly. (1,017 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours quit thin for the style. Black, but still translucent. No head. No lacing. A few bubbles. Aroma is sweet and alcoholic. Chocolate. Malty. Chocolate frosting. Taste is similar. Damn sweet. Chocolaty. Malty. saccharin. Sweetness. And some alcoholic heat. Thinner mouthfeel. Mild to moderate bitterness.
Wow, this beer is not what I expected. Too thin, too sweet, not a whole lot of flavor. Not offensive, just not so great either. At least it was better than chocolate rain. (479 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance is cola brown, quite a bit lighter than I expected. Thin head, no lacing, some clarity. Nose is bourbon, fudge, char, and oak. Tons of sugar on the nose. Taste is super sweet with chocolate and vanilla, bourbon. Very hot towards the end, cloyingly sweet. Mouthfeel is hot with mellow carbonation. Overall, this is a very sweet beer but the astronomical abv is well hidden. (383 characters)

Black Tuesday from The Bruery