Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Black Tuesday - The Bruery

2014: 19.7% ABV
2015: 19.9% ABV
Reviews: 619 | Hads: 3,349
4.3/5  rDev -3.8%

Sampled at GABF on 9/18/2010. This Imperial Stout pours a deep black color from the tap. Medium sized tan foamy head. The aroma is chocolate, coffee, roasted malt, vanilla and woody with some alcohol. A full bodied Imperial Stout. A VERY BIG Imperial Stout. The malts are chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, some bourbon and some cherry. The hops are herbal. This beer has a big alcohol presence, I mean a whole lot of alcohol, the first sip and smell are dominated by the alcohol, after that the other flavors start coming through. There is a nice mix of malts, sweetness, vanilla and wood going on here, once you get past the big alcohol blast. This beer has an awesome potential for aging. It is very good now, but a couple or five years of bottle aging would make this beer even more amazing. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly sweet.

4.97/5  rDev +11.2%

Black Tuesday, I take back all the bad things I said about you. You pour the deepest black with a charcoal head that crowns you for ages, clinging to the sides of my tulip, coating my glass in alcohol as I tilt it. You smell of chocolate covered cherries, sherry, sizzling burnt brown sugar, the aroma touching my nostrils like a solid. You taste of Zeus's nectar, candied cherries, port wine filled Belgian chocolate, tingling umami and a finish of the finest sherry. Your alcohol touches me, causing exaltation, erotic in sensation yet questioning in just how smooth you are. You animal. You chewy, oily, full bodied beast. You coat my palate and touch my throat nearly erotically in your thickness. You satisfy me. You touch my lips, my tongue, my throat, and my soul; your drinkability is spiritual. Your flavor is robust and gorgeous, you defy expectations for the umpteenth time. I love you.

2.75/5  rDev -38.5%

[Bottle] shared by tytoanderso. Pours a not very viscous looking black with a quickly dissipating tan head. Aroma is very sweet, and I actually get some cabernet sauvignon, touch of smokiness, oddly a touch of tartness, strong alcohol, chocolate, light soy sauce, and, of course, alcohol. Ungodly sweet, but the alcohol manages to dilute it a little bit, kind of tastes like syrup without the thick gooey texture, amazing alcohol presence, roasted malt, not too much else. Really lacks the complexity that something like the Hunapu's has and the subtlety that the Narke has.

4.47/5  rDev 0%

Grotesque thanks to bankhead for trading me a bottle of the first batch of Black Tuesday when it first arrived, mewling & blind, into the world, commanding unworldly trade ransoms. 'head dealt this for a reasonable amount, for which I am greatly thankful. Popped open with the wife...was saving this for a Twins World Series win, but that'll have to wait now. And I'm thirsty.

Pours black as rain. Smell is intense. The beer is galoshing about in bourbon, with the thickness of molasses, chocolate, malts deeper than the Bridge of Khazad-dum. Impressive. One of the better smelling beers I can recall.

Black Tuesday came into the world with hype & I stand ready to fight back with the electronic word, but hey, it's not bad. There's a blender worth of identifying characteristics: bourbon, roasted bourbon, heaping spoonfuls of black sugar cane, weathered oak, lash of alcohol, with smatterings of applause, chocolate, real maple syrup, unidentified dark fruits, vanilla. Wow. I could sip & sip & keep finding more things but screw that, I'm done, just going to enjoy it from here on out.

Rolls out of the Cigar City snifter as thick as the high ABV promises. The low carbonation seems appropriate for this dark creature, & each sip feels like a velvet finger easing into my throat. Smoooth. Reminds me of sipping a high-end glass of alcohol without the accompanying burn. Although there's a little of that. The alcohol is present & shouting from the rooftops.

Well, damn. This is an excellent, excellent brew that I'm going to be sipping for a good hour or more. Memorable, & worth the effort of seeking out.

4.61/5  rDev +3.1%

I can still hear and feel the collective gasp in the room when my new friend Darrell popped the cap on this one - one of the most sought after brews in the world. Thanks dude for making everyone's year!

A: Blacker than the blackest color of black that you can imagine. Imagine that? However, this one retains a gentle tan head (with brown notes) throughout the session.

S: Hello bourbon bomb! This also has a generous layer of dark candy sweetness.

T: Very unique taste with a strong burnt, caramel-pecan brittle body, surrounded by high grade dark chocolate dipped in oak and molasses. This is honestly better than any dessert I have ever tasted.

M: The bourbon doesn't act as a booze agent to enhance people's happiness (although it does that too), but as an integral and necessary ingredient in the whole concoction. It plays roughly the same role that honey plays in a dessert like baklava. I can't believe how smooth this is for the a brew clocking in at almost 20% ABV!

D: I wonder if I will ever get to try this again? The only way I see how is if my work schedule would allow me to take time off to fly to Cali and get some on that day. Or....I could just wait for my friend to score another bottle. I'm still in awe of this amazing brew and of the fact that I got a very generous sample of it!

4.88/5  rDev +9.2%

A huge thank you to Darrell for sharing this rare delicacy last night.

A: Deep, opaque black. There is a moderately small beige that hangs out for a few minutes before sinking into the abyss and disappearing forever.

S: Bourbon! Whoa! There is nothing subtle about the aroma. It's enticing and alluring, but I must say that is predominantly bourbon.

T: Black Tuesday tastes fantastic. Plain and simple. It's incredibly rich and buttery smooth. It's like a heavy freight train loaded with rich, roasted malt loaded and bourbon barrels on a collision course with your palate. I didn't find it to be complex, per se, as the enormous bourbon flavors overtake some of the more subtle aspects.

M: Extremely viscous, rich and thick. Alcohol content disguised masterfully. This isn't to say alcohol is not detectable, but I would never have guessed that it's nearly 20% abv. Very impressive.

D: While it definitely seems like a strong beer, I am amazed that it weighs in at 19.5% abv. That's insane. I had 6-8 ounces and thoroughly enjoyed every sip. Highly recommended.

4.87/5  rDev +8.9%

Pours like glorious motor oil. Very dark, with a very thin head. Smells great, vanilla, coffee, roasted malts, chocolate, bourbon, oak, and alcohol. Starts with a very strong flavor including vanilla, coffee, and chocolate, followed up by a stronger bourbon, oak, and alcohol taste. Simply amazing. Very hard to drink fast though. It's pretty hot, but way to hard to put down.

4.57/5  rDev +2.2%

A: This poured an opaque black mahogany, with almost no head.
S: It smelled huge and complex like strong sweet chocolate and fig and super rich balsamic and brown sugar and alcohol, with oak and smoke and caramel.
T: It tasted incredibly bold and sickeningly sweet like caramel and rich chocolate with roasted coffee and vanilla and oak and fig/raisin, with some balsamic and brown sugar and flat Coca Cola. The aftertaste was cloyingly sweet with lots of alcohol.
M: It was syrupy thick with a bit of carbonation - almost like sludge.
D: This is one of the richest, boldest, and most complex beers I've had. On par with Utopias, but a stout instead of a barleywine. The scent and taste and body were all nearly overpowering. The alcohol was clearly present also, so it must be sipped, but it was so delicious. Just 3 ounces is more than enough for a serving, but that little bit can be savored for a long time. Fantastic brew that meets the hype.

4.23/5  rDev -5.4%

Several samples on tap at the GABF. Late in the night when they stopped serving this I spotted a wasted volunteer (in a sombrero) just pouring himself glass after glass of this and slamming it. I am 100% sure he had no idea what he was drinking. Priceless.

App- Black as night. Motor oil in a glass with a thick brown head. Beautiful.

SM- Bourbon, espresso, vanilla, chocolate. Very sweet.

Ta- Very similar to the smell, but with some heat. Have to say people overdo the heat aspect in their reviews. Had I not know the ABV, I would have guessed this was ~9%. The oakiness really plays nice with all the other flavors.

MF- The super subtle carbonation cuts the sweetness beautifully. You keep tasting this long after you are done.

DR- A beautiful sipper.

I don't know if any beer deserves the hype that this one has gotten, but it sure does it's best. Great beer.

4.45/5  rDev -0.4%

Got this beer at the Great Amercian Beer Fest multiple times.
Pours deep space dark black with a caramel head that disolves quickly.
Smells extremely intense and complex. Nots of caramel, dark fruits are very heavy and range from dates to bing cherrys and apricots. Chocolate and coffee round out the nose with a boozy undertone and essences of vanilla and charred wood and roasted marshmellow. Rich orange marmelade and maple even follow through.
Taste is more intense than the smell. Thick, fudge like mocha sweetness with a huge raisen and dark fruit character found more often in barleywines. Honey notes and slight vanilla hints turn up at the end with a good constantly growing alcohol warmth.
I love the complexity of this beer and it's very heavy indeed so go slow. The mouthfeel is moderately heavy but the complexity of flavors make it seem more thick. Love this beer

3.97/5  rDev -11.2%

A: Black as the name implies. Minor amount of medium brown head. No visible sediment.

S: Very complex. Cocoa powder, tar, molasses, hickory, graham crackers, chocolate candy corn, and caramel corn. Dark dried fruits, oak, and chocolate-covered dried tropical fruits (ie. chocolate covered mango or chocolate covered pineapple slices). Flat coca cola?

T: Cocoa, molasses, chocolate toffee, alcohol, and many of the scent elements.

M: Good mouthfeel. Above average density and viscosity.

D: Not particularly drinkable. Tasty in limited quantity, and at cellar temperature or refrigerated temperature. However, a full glass is a disaster in waiting, and room temperature is out of the question.

4.47/5  rDev 0%

-Cue up the music from Stanley Kubricks 2001: A Space Odyssey- Or at least that's what I imagine the EPICNESS surrounding this beer would be. So much hype, mystique, rarity, aggravation, and emmotional appeal surrounding this beer. Not to mention this years tickets for this beer sold out in 6 minutes (myself included did not get a ticket - yeah I was one of "those" unfortunate few). So thanks to the Ferm for breaking this one out for GABF war planning party.

A: Poured black w/ a ruby colored bubbly head w/ quick dissipation. Ruby color retains around the edges of the beer.

A: Boozy bourbon, toffee, and caramel. No hop aromatics. No diacetyl or esthers.

F: Sweet Maple syrup, caramel, toffee, and warming to light chocolate notes. Light bourbon flavor in the finish.

M: Heavy body and mouthfeel, low carbonation, w/ slight alcohol warmth. Not necessarily "burning" Drinks smooth and viscous - syrup like.

O: Really? That's It? You just reviewed one of the most EPIC beers ever in ~ 63 words? Yes I did and here is why. This beer tasted pretty straightforward to me: It's sweet and rightfully so for an 19% beer. Comparable to Dark Lord, if you removed the fruit and complex notes, I believe you would have black tuesday. Black Tuesday is boozy and sweet. Did the beer hype around this one blow my mind? Yes...The beer itself? Not so much. Tasty yes, drinkable yes, would I give my first born? No. I'm glad I can put to rest the aggravating ambitions of trying to secure one of these bottles for myself.

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%

Many many thanks to JohnC for hooking me up with this bottle. Poured into a snifter.

Pours pitch black, oily, with a big mocha head that shows excellent retention and leaves bits of lacing and lots of sticky legs along the sides.

Massively sweet aroma with tons of molasses, chocolate, sugar-coated raisins and plums. Espresso and plenty of bourbon burn in the nose with the accompanying vanilla and oak.

The taste is spectacular starting with the thick, sugary sweet malts, caramel, chocolate and vanilla. There is a lot of dark fruits lurking in the background and the finish burns with bourbon and slight spicy oak.

The mouthfeel is super, super smooth, and uber-sticky from the sweet malts. The bourbon burn is definitely hefty, but I never would have pegged it at this ABV.

This is a stunning beer in that it is overflowing with flavor, clocks in at over 19% ABV and still drinks way, way too easily. Compared to the few other beers I've had in this ABV range, this is the only one I would categorize as world class. Well done Patrick.

4.95/5  rDev +10.7%

We bought several bottles of this beer about a year ago. They've been sitting in our beer cellar, waiting for the perfect moment to crack one open. Since we live on the East coast, and it's not available here, I paid an obscene amount of money on Ebay. We opened one for my birthday.

We served this in bourbon stemware.

Appearance: very dark black color. Nice rich dark tan head.

Smell: smells rich and dark and strongly of bourbon. Very fruity.

Taste: exceptional. The bourbon taste is delicious, it's just the right amount of malt. The fruit is lush.

Mouthfeel: lush and thick. Coats your tongue.

Drinkability: Because of the ridiculous ABV, this is obviously a sipping beer. Because of the cost, I would call this a very special occasion beer. I thought this was everything it was cracked up to be.

4.87/5  rDev +8.9%

Finally getting around to rating this one; shared with a group at a recent tasting.

A--Very black; no reading the newspaper through this one! A little bit of a head with minimal lacing.

S--Chocolate and bourbon.

T--Bourbon, chocolate, and oak. WONDERFUL taste.

M--Thick with just the right amount of carbonation.

D--I say it's great, though most would disagree due to the high alcohol content. I counter that by saying just share it with someone or sip on this one for an hour or more while watching a good movie, game, etc. GREAT beer.

From tasting notes:

Appearance: Thick and black as motor oil. Small tan head.

Smell: Beautiful vanilla, cocoa, bourbon aroma and oak.

Taste: Sweet, very sweet. Bourbon is very aparent, but it's mouthfeel makes it very approachable, like a shake.

Mouthfeel: Viscous, thick, nicely carbonated. Just enough carbonation to make the flavors open up on the tongue.

Drinkability: Well, 19.5%. Do I need to say much more? It's a great brew to share for a very nice event, but I'd never have a large glass of this.

4.26/5  rDev -4.7%

Date: 07/31/2010
Vintage: 2009
Type: 750ml. Bottle
Glassware: Portsmouth Tulip

Sampled at The Epic Sweer & Sour Tasting I w/ wunderbeer(Ron), ShadesofGray(Ryan), and big Dan. Nice event!

Poured a midnight black in color w/ a thin tan that left no lacing. Looks the consistency of 10W-30 motor oil. The nose was of chocolate malt, oak, bourbon, and a unique fig aroma. The taste was of chocolate, bourbon, oak, and dark fruits. The mouthfeel is thick as hell, like a milkshake. Drinkability is about as good as it can possibly be for a 19.50% alcohol beer, but was still slumping me under the table.

Overall, tremendous brew that as much as it sadens me say, lives up to the hype and billing. Great Imperial Stout from Cali!

4.34/5  rDev -2.9%

750 ml bottle shared among theoretical friends, provided by the former king of Portsmouth, rpstevens the great.

Black as night with a kuh-hakie ring o' foam round the edges. Awesome giant legs and curtains of booze sliding down the glass like a downpour on a car windshield. I wish it would rain. It's so hot.

Smells like a bunch o' powdered cocoa in a bourbon frappe. Touch of coconut. Pretty standard fare for this kind of mega-stout. Quite nice. Smell really reminds me of Angel's Share.

Taste is sweet chocolate and raisins, and hot hot hot, but pleasant hot, not like this heatwave weather I'm moored in. So sweet. It almost isn't even a stout... It's like stout liqueur. Damn tasty, though.

Mouthfeel is awesome and fluffy. It's like a chocolate cloud. It possesses an interesting duality in that it is both thick and viscous, but light and fluffy at the same time.

Drinkability is amazing for an RIS, especially one at 19.5% abv. Normally I would penalize a beer so boozy as this one, but this is so quaffable and delicious, I could drink much more than I was allotted... Cheers.

4.3/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured from a bottle into a Portsmouth tulip. The pour is oil-thick, viscous and dark. There is a thin mocha head that quickly fades to nothing, leaving the most oily lacing behind I have ever seen.

The nose is an intense blast of bourbon, followed closely by undertones of caramel, vanilla and wood. There is a complimentary dark chocolate, that is rich and strong. The boozy sweetness is intense, almost burning the nostrils.

The taste follows the smell very closely, the bourbon is first and foremost, hitting the tongue and giving a strong introduction. The sweet vanilla, caramel and wood characteristics compliment the bourbon nicely. The finish is hot and boozy, with a nice strong brown sugar component. The rich dark chocolate takes on a powdery cocoa quality on the tongue. Beyond the bourbon, chocolate and vanilla notes there are hints of dark fruits, layers of figs and hints of cherries; this beer surprises at every sip. The flavor is much more approachable than I expected.

The beer is thick, viscous and "chewy" with adequate carbonation. The flavors compliment the high alcohol nicely, making this much more approachable than it should be. I couldn't enjoy an entire bottle, but for this high an abv, the beer is very drinkable. I wish there was another glass in my near future.

4.35/5  rDev -2.7%

750ml bottle shared at woodshop 5.1

Poured a dark as night black like motor oil with a very thin head and almost no lacing left on the glass. There was a lot going on in the aroma which consisted of chocolate malts, coco nibs, brown sugar, slight bourbon notes, vanilla and toffee. It had a sweet nose which probably included dark fruits as well. You can definitely smell the bourbon. The flavor was really complex with the chocolatey brownie striking first on the palate with bourbon, toffee, vanilla and caramelized sugar accents. After a couple sips I also got slight coco like the nose and booze for sure. Black Tuesday was full bodied with a low amount of carbonation that had a silky sweet and boozy finish. It was pretty drinkable considering the ABV on this beast. I actually enjoyed it more on tap before they released last year don't get me wrong it is still a great beer I just had to put in my two cents on it that's all. This is something everyone should try at least once.

4.52/5  rDev +1.1%

Black waxed 750 mL bottle courtesy of vurt in a very generous trade. Poured in to the Bruery-logoed tulip that was also given as an extra by the very same!

Appearance: Pours an ominous inky black, absolutely pitch, thick, viscous, and oily, like tar in to the tulip. A rather vigorous pour on this one didn't help increase its turbulence too much out of the neck of the bottle - this one was a slick, velvety monster, and it slid right out with no difficulty whatsoever. Whatever vigor it did have managed to elicit a good two fingers of deeply cocoa head that fizzed, surged and ... surprisingly, against all odds ... did manage to stick around for a good three minutes or so, before all hints of surface lace, side lace, and collar had vanished. After an initial surge of embedded carbonation calmed down, this was one still, silent beer.

Aroma: Absolutely decadent ... on first impression, it's a cherry/raspberry chocolate cake, awash in a bourbon fudge glaze. One of the most beautiful and surprising things is the absolute lack of bourbon heat. I'm just amazed at how they were able to bury so much alcohol. That's not to say there's no bourbon or barrel presence or character - there's plenty of vanilla, some coconut, and some toasted wood sugars, but still ... damn. The alcohol heat does begin to make itself known as this one hits room temperature, but it took long enough that I'm still colored impressed. Raspberry and cherry syrup coat the nostrils fully, that beautiful mistake of high-alcohol fermentation, melding wonderfully with the slightly toasty but mostly sweet, fudgy, bittersweet chocolate malts.

Taste: Ridiculously sweet and incredibly flavorful. The malts in this one are over the top intense and over the top sweet - I found myself wiping my mouth after almost every sip, like you would do with a milkshake. Huge fudgy chocolate dominates the flavor profile, slightly bittersweet, a little milky, or at least suggestive of mikyness. The cocoa comes across as powdery at points but mostly Hershey's-syrup esque, and you can find it in recognizable form in corners of your mouth that you haven't touched with your tongue in minutes a full half an hour after taking a sip. Various other sweet malts try and jump in - toffee, maybe, some caramel and lactic sweetness, maple syrup, a few hints of dryer malts, toast, faint espresso.

One of the wonderful things about high abv% beers is definitely showcased in this one, and that's the high, sharp, fruity esters that yeast produce under such conditions. This one takes on beautiful sherry-esque notes, with raspberry, cherry, and blueberry notes mingling with all the stray sugars to suggest pure extracts or fruit syrups.

The barrel aging here contributes a few coconut overtones, some slight wood sugars, and plenty of vanilla, but as far as bourbon goes, I think it gets lost at places. There's alcohol heat here - particularly compared to the nose, where alcohol heat was practically non-existent - but the spicy, slightly earthy, mildly roasted malt notes that are associated with bourbon are a little muddled.

Mouthfeel: Thick, syrupy, and absolutely over the top ... but with a surprising amount of carbonation. I also imagine it's been thinned out a little by the spirit infusion ... I tremble at the thought of this beer's original gravity. The thickness does keep this beer remarkably even, creamy ... no, it's too thick to be described as creamy. This one's sort of like melted ice cream (cheap ice cream, such that its 50% air to begin with), at that point when it's been sitting around just long enough that it's reached liquefaction, but not long enough that all of the infused air has yet escaped.

Drinkability: So much to say about this beer and so few characters in which to say it. First, there's no way in hell I'm going to give a beer: 1) this overwhelmingly sweet; and (more importantly) 2) this overwhelmingly high in alcohol anything above a 4.0, and as a self-respecting beeradvocate, I just can't do it. This is nonetheless a really enjoyable beer, and every sip I took made me wish more and more I had a piece of fudge or a slice of German chocolate cake to pair it with. This is the quintessential dessert beer, the sweetest beer I've ever had, and an absolutely over the top decadent treat that I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to have. Is it - to quote a memorable BA thread - only a matter of time before it becomes the #1 beer on BA? Clearly (as its fall from the top 5 indicates) not. It is, however, a great beer, one showing both a mastery of production as well as of craft, and one I was thrilled to have the opportunity to try. Worth seeking out ... though, honestly, not worth trading what a lot of people have probably traded it over.

4.6/5  rDev +2.9%

Had this during the NBA Final game. A full tulip for both me and my buddy cmorton. I also poured some samples for my non beer nerd friends, the bartender, and the owner of Blue Palm's (where we were watching the game). I brought the bottle from home, so don't go rushing over to Blue Palms expecting to find a bottle (they do however have Firestone X if you have $165 you wish to spend). Pardon the detailed introduction, but this was probably my biggest want ever.

A: Pours jet black. Like super duper black. A fat couple of finger reddish khaki/mocha head. Very surprised by the amount of head as many high abv/barrel aged beers usually do not have much. Oily, syrupy legs when swirled, and wisps of lacing left behind. Looks heavy.

S: An almost candy like aroma of brown sugar, caramel, english toffee, maple syrup, vanilla, and chocolate cake batter spiked with bourbon. Hints of raspberry and cherry are also there. Smells quite sweet and insanely decadent.

T: Very sweet. There is caramelized brown sugar, english toffee, black strap molasses, maple syrup, and sweet chocolate fudge. This is a very sweet beer, but somehow manages not to be cloying or soy sauce like. Then there is vanilla, some hint of oak and a solid bourbon kick. Not quite as heavy on the bourbon as I imagined but it is waiting at the end of each sip to let you know what's up. I was eating lobster mac and cheese while sipping on this, and the sweetness of BT with the creaminess of the lobster mac was epic. The sweetness is a little much on it's own otherwise this would have been a 5 as well.

M: Surprisingly not the thickest beer ever. Don't get me wrong, it is quite thick and syrupy, but there are others out there that can contend. Full bodied, incredibly rich, low carbonation, and an almost velvety texture. It's a little hot too, but that's mostly on the back end as it is going down (not as hot as I imagined though).

D: It's 19.5%, but manages to mask that in a complex shroud of sweet delicious desert flavors spiked with bourbon. I would have guessed it's abv to be much lower if I wasn't already aware. It is definitely something you will want to sip on and savor, but I could see myself drinking a whole bottle (which would be an epicly poor decision).

3.21/5  rDev -28.2%

Shared by capra12 (Jon). Opened at a tasting 5/29/10. 4oz. pour from a 750ml waxed wine bottle into a snifter. Reviewed from notes. You know your tasting is epic when BT becomes an afterthought.

A: Pours a 1/4 finger mocha head that quickly collapses in on itself. Beer is a black hole. Perhaps the blackest I've ever seen any RIS. No lacing.

S: Ridiculous booziness upfront drowns out all pretenses of complexity. My nostrils fight to try to get something more here. Some chocolate, prunes, raisins, other dried, dark fruit, brownie, and licquorice. Not the most appetizing aroma as I think I'm gonna get a facefull of alcohol...

T: Chocolate, dark fruit, brownies, and licquorice. Exceedingly sweet and a huge booze bomb. Make no mistake about it, I tasted all 19.5% of this one and every sip made me cringe. Aftertaste is... what else? Sweet is all heck and still incredibly hot and boozy. The complexity is definitely there... but its blanketed by alcohol.

M: Medium to full bodied with more carbonation than I'd expect. Oily in the mouth and silky going down. Very smooth for its ABV. Finish is messy with a big, lingering aftertaste.

D: All hype. How could I think anything else? Waaay to boozy and waaaay too sweet. Its sad since there's a lot going on here and the feel is near perfect but why does it have to be 19.5% and why does it have to flaunt every single % in the taste and nose?!?! I'll give it another try down the line but as it is now, definitely not my cup of tea and DEFINITELY not worth the buzz and trouble.

3.61/5  rDev -19.2%

Thanks Kevin for sharing this!

A- Body is a deep, dark, viscous black color. Fizzy head appears and fades quickly into a thin, light tan collar.

S- Nose is very boozy at first-which is to be expected for a 40 proof beer. Alcohol astringency all over the place, beneath this is a very sweet background of bourbon, peanut butter, milk chocolate, amaretto, vanilla, toffee, and caramel.

T- Flavor is very sweet at first. Milk chocolate, notes of sweet bourbon, caramel, and sugary sweetness. The finish is much like the initial flavor and is surprisingly smooth with minimal alcohol astringency- but it packs a lot of heat at the end with a big alcohol warmth.

M- Low carbonation. Thick, syrupy, and smooth and creamy. Minimal alcohol consistency.

D- I am very pleasantly surprised by this one because its a 19.5% beer that drinks like an 11%. This was split amongst 5 people so I had a good 5 oz-but not a whole serving. A good beer overall-but inconceivable for it not to be shared-so I am hesitant to give the drinkability a 4. Surprisingly not boozy with the exception of the nose and VERY sweet. This brew is quite complex-but not really balanced.

3.96/5  rDev -11.4%

Thanks to MrChopin for sharing this one.

A-pours a jet black liquid with a dark tan colored dense head.

S-the nose is not as boozy as I feared. lots of roasted malts up front, peanut butter, dark chocolate and vanilla. bourbon takes hold behind, hints of acetone.

T-again does pretty well on the flavor in compared to the alcohol content. tons of roasted malts up front, dark chocolate and lots of vanilla. notes of bourbon in the middle with some nice sweetness in the back. the acetone is quite light and it is hot but not much especially for the alcohol.

M-as expected, huge, thick, chewy. great carbonation level to hold body but still fall down the throat.

D-this is huge as expected but no where near the boozy mess I thought it was going to be. the alcohol is there, much more so in the nose. the balance of roasted malts and sweetness is done well and the bourbon notes are present; but a complete lack of any oak and a little hot in the back.

Black Tuesday from The Bruery