Black Tuesday - The Bruery

2010: 18.2% ABV
2011: 18.3% ABV
2012: 19.2% ABV
2013: 18.9% ABV

(Beer added by: OlieIPA on 07-18-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Black Tuesday Alström Bros

doucmehu, Mar 01, 2013

jkball01, Aug 30, 2013
4.85/5  rDev +6.8%

Bottle shared at a bottle share. Poured into 5 oz glasses, let warm over time. Thanks tbadiuk (Bruery Reserve member) for sharing this gem!

Pours a thick dark oil like body with light tan head that rings but doesn't lace. Liquid chocolate. Hints of liquorice & bourbon. So easy to drink. No heat at all for the high ABV. Sweet, but with a thinner finish. This is dessert in a glass. I could drink a whole bottle of this to myself, and then find myself under the table...

kjyost, Jun 20, 2012
4.78/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours black with a small dark tan head with good retention, and it is ridiculously cloying.

Scent of sweet dark fruit, maple syrup, chocolate, a hint of oak, some alcohol, and bourbon. Very sweet, and though the alcohol is noticeable, it is hardly overpowering.

Taste of strong chocolate, sweet maple syrup, bourbon, molasses, candi sugar, oak, and a hint of alcohol. Finishes with dry oak, vanilla and some alcohol. Incredible stuff, not at all suggestive of it's 19.5% ABV.

Mouthfeel is heavy bodied and oily with a small bite of carbonation. As expected, the mouthfeel is perfectly smooth and heavy, but not quite flat.

paco1029384756, Nov 22, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

What a monster. Black tar stout. Big booze on this. But it really blends nicely with everything else going on. Great mouth feel to it. Really one of the better stouts out there. It's kind of on its own as far as uniqueness. This is a big intense beer. Don't recommend opening it by yourself. The Bruery just kills it time and time again.

vinny21bal, Nov 19, 2013

ldhughes3, Nov 09, 2013

FrankHammer, Oct 22, 2013
4.83/5  rDev +6.4%

I was extremely fortunate to have been given this bottle as a gift from Thor, the beer manager at Brasserie Beck at dinner last night. A really nice review will be coming after this Black Tuesday review for Brasserie Beck as I've had many good experiences there and is worth a try if in DC.

This beer is my 100th review, as I tried to plan it out that way since this is a beer that I've really really wanted to try since I got a taste (well maybe 4-5 tastes) of it at GABF 2010. It's really a great beer, though age will help the heat on this one.

A: Pours like motor oil super dark brown to black with a khaki head and some lacing. Was expecting complete darkness but it still looks great.

S: Awesomely complex, wow! Bourbon, definite sweet/heat of alcohol, lots of chocolate, vanilla, oak, sugary malt, leather, and more. AWESOME! I could not get my nose out of the glass. Such a present and huge aroma.

T: Taste does not disappoint. The smell and more! The other flavors I got besides the vanilla, bourbon, oak, malt etc. from the smell is an added salty teriyaki (that I get in Dark Lord as well) with other additions of candied dark fruits, chocolate milk, hot chocolate cake, a healthy does of molasses, coffee and some kinds of spicy hot sauce-ish notes (I like that a lot!). I love how ever next sip you get something different, almost like if you think of a different flavor to concentrate on you'll get that next time you sip. What an awesome flavor. Lives up to the hype for me.

M: Really viscous and coating, just what you'd want, although the alcohol heat prevents me from giving this a five. It needs some time to cool down and this will be perfect because I just love the carbonation level and the thickness of it now!

D: What a tasty brew. With time this will probably be a five for me also, if only I can get someone to trade me one of these! I've tried trading lots of stuff for this on here already and honestly I'm glad I never went all out to get one, as it is great great beer but not one to give all you have for. I'm so fortunate that I could get hooked up with this last night, it's a great brew! I may be planning to go to the release next year if I can!

Dreadnaught33, Dec 17, 2010

Shared side by side with Chocolate Rain with nhindian

A: Thick black pour with a small light brown head. Hardly any retention and spotty lacing, but a nice amount of bubbles rise from the bottom of the glass. Significantly darker in color than Chocolate Rain, and a better head. BT gets the nod in terms of appearance.

S: The smell is a bit more subdued, but seemingly more balanced than Chocolate Rain. Bourbon, vanilla, chocolate, and booze much like CR are the focus of the beer, but when comparing the smell of this is much smaller.The booze isn't as offensive, and it is not quite as sweet, but the other smells are also not as big. I can't quite tell which I prefer. Going to call this one a push.

T: The first taste certainly merits the WOW factor. A ton of booze, molasses, licorice, bourbon, vanilla, chocolate, smokey charred malts, and other flavors I'm not quite sure my palate was ready for. As the booze fades on the backend, I'm getting some very dark fruits developing as well. I completely understand why this beer is so highly regarded, but I must say I was expecting a bit more balance and less booze and licorice. Not nearly as much bourbon as I was expecting, but the other flavors certainly make up for it. However, I cannot honestly say this is the best stout I've ever had. The flavors do develop very well on the palate. Chocolate, molasses, and licorice up front. Bourbon, vanilla, and booze in the middle. Booze, roasted malts, and a dry finish combine with that typical warming alcohol feeling.

MF: Not quite as thick as I was expecting. I mean don't get me wrong, this beer has a heavy body and is carbonated well. However, it is not syrupy or creamy like other big stouts. A pretty good body considering the size of the beer.

O: The drinkability is a bit tough on this one. In the end, it is very sweet and very boozy. Half a bottle was honestly a bit much to put down. With that said, it was phenomenally tasty and I was very happy to have tried it. I just was expecting a bit higher drinkability. Very good overall.

russwbeck, Nov 22, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -10.8%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a tulip. 2010 bottle, from notes.

Appearance: In my tulip, Black Tuesday lives up to its name, being black all the way through with just a slightly lighter edge if I tilt the glass to make it thin enough.

Smell: Lots of gooey dark chocolate and fusel alcohol, with a little coffee and a fair amount of dark roasted malt to back it up.

Taste: Each sip starts out very sweet and feels boozy going down. Molasses, dark chocolate, some vanilla, and brown sugar add further sweetness to caramel and roasted malt flavors.

Mouthfeel: This has a very full body with medium carbonation. Although, I wonder if it would be possible for a beer with this thick of a body to have any more carbonation or whether the body would simply crush it. There is definitely a full burn going down, which is slightly unpleasant because it feels unnatural. There is no bourbon or other flavor that accompanies it, it is just there for its own sake.

Overall: This was a good beer and I think the Bruery executed what they wanted out of this beer, but I think it is just too over the top for me.

KickInTheChalice, Aug 09, 2011

AdamP, Jan 05, 2014

tfsimpkins, May 26, 2013
4.43/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

750ml of the 2012 bottling, poured at a tasting (shared by sstork; thanks man!) with my portion into a Stone chalice.

A: Dark brown edges with a black body; no head.

S: Oaky vanilla, bourbon, brown sugar and toasted caramel dominate, as expected; everyone who has had this beer and its variants must know what I'm talking about. Huge sugary-sweet stout with overwhelming caramel, vanilla and brown sugar notes, and just enough roast and dark chocolate to keep it interesting. Lots of hot, boozy bourbon here as well, though for near 20% this is a pretty manageable nose.

T: Bourbon and brown sugar, plenty of caramel as well as vanilla & bourbon...milk chocolate, burnt sugar, boozy & oaky vanilla.

MF: Fuller bodied & hot, low carbonation; very oily and mouth-coating.

O: Awesome beer, very extreme but well-executed. A sipper for sure.

Scotchboy, Jul 22, 2013

plumcrazyfx, May 24, 2013
4.45/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750mL bottle, shared at a recent beer tasting to cap off the evening. Cheers to Jeff for sharing this one with us!

Poured into a snifter glass. Deepest darkest black, with a thin light brown head that dissolves quite quickly under its own weight. A think little smattering of foam is all that survives. You can see the weight on this as it pours.

Nose is sweet and sugary, with notes of roasted malt, molasses, bourbon, vanilla, dark chocolate, caramel and a slight peat or leather quality. Rich and inviting.

Well this is all kinds of wonderful. Definitely a sharing bottle, even if the ABV wasn't as high as it is. Rich stout flavours, very sweet, with assertive notes of bourbon, chocolate, sugar and vanilla. The booze is certainly there, but despite being 18%, it tastes more like around a 10%er, which makes for some dangerous drinking indeed. A headache-inducing brew, but oh-so-worth it.

Medium-high thickness, mild carbonation, creamy on the palate. Drinks like a liqueur.

Terrific double stout, very sweet, full of flavour. When drinking this brew I had that calm euphoria folks must have felt in the late 1920s with stocks at what Irving Fisher described as a "permanently high plateau". The high ABV hit me a short while later, with the high sugar content causing an irreversible crash. With a brew this good, however, it won't take a war to get me on my feet again. Terrific stuff, well worth a pickup. Share this brew, or don't come crying to me later.

JohnnyBarman, Aug 20, 2012

LakerLeith, Jun 17, 2014
4.55/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Drank with my beer buddies Anthony, Andrew and Joel

2010 Vintage poured into mini Chimay chalices.

A - Thick oily black colour with no head.

S - Verty sweet soft aroma with hints of milk chocolate, very pronounced.

T - Red wine flavours up front followed by some hot sweetness. The bourbon flavours are soft but present, the finish is boozy and sweet.

M - Thick full body. with minimal carbonation.

O - A massive Imperial Stout. everything about this says overload. Not balanced at all, but rather a bomb of a stout. Won't forget this in a hurry.

eric5bellies, Sep 12, 2013

Lucnifter, Jun 28, 2013

antoines15, Apr 25, 2014
2.38/5  rDev -47.6%

Had this at a tasting on friday night, a huge thanks to John for bring this beer

The beer pours like motor oil with a thin barely there dark head. the smell is sweet boozy with a noticeable bourbon smell. the taste is hot boozy and cloyingly sweet. this beer reminds me of dark lord, ( which i thought was highly overrated). the mouthfeel is thick and its hard to get the coating feel out of your mouth. between everyone at the tasting it was probably a 50/50 split of love hate. i gave the rest of my pour to my brother who enjoyed it. in my opinion this beer is one to avoid

rowingbrewer, Jun 05, 2011

ObeMaltKinobee, Dec 20, 2011
3.45/5  rDev -24%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Appearance: Rich, dark, pour, incredibly thick. Completely coats the glass, and nice head as well.

Smell: Boozy notes of prunes, plums, brown sugar, vanilla, molasses, and chocolate. Not as much bourbon as I had hoped for although the alcohol is very hot. Definitely thick, but not particularly appitizing. Too sweet.

Taste: The 09 did a good job of hiding the alcohol but in the 2010 the booze smacks you in the face like a freight train. Big booze, plums, prunes, brown sugar, vanilla, tobacco, oak, coffee, chocolate, lots and lots of malt. Biggest negative is that it is way too sweet, which, combined with the over-present vanilla, booze heat, and alcohol thinness, detracts greatly.

Mouthfeel: Thick, but not silk/satin smooth. The 09 was decent but the alcohol in the 10 made it feel too hot and runny.

Drinkability: Hard call here, not drinkable in the sense that you normally think, as in it goes down easy, but it is "drinkable" for a 19.5% beer. However, I am going to go with general drinkability, as "highly drinkable for a 19.5%" beer sounds similar to "particularly tasty meal as far as rusty nails go."

Overall a good brew, but not a stand-out for the style. Certainly the "biggest" but that does not mean "best" as well, at least in my book. A good exercise in over-loading each part of the brewing process with malt and then tossing it in a barrel, but nothing I would need to try again - similar to seeing the bearded lady, etc. I've had the 09 and 2010, the 10 was much hotter and the alcohol made it feel thin.

craytonic, Jan 02, 2010

IndyDad, Mar 16, 2014
4.85/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours opaque, dark with a full finger loose foamy tan head that fades fairly quickly with little lacing. The smell is aggressive, intense and complex. It starts off with a full on cherry vanilla assault over caramel and chocolate character. As it warms up the bourbon aroma becomes more intense, eventually maturing into an intense black licorice. Full flavored, the taste matches up to the nose really well, step for step. Lightly carbonated, the mouth feel is full bodied and creamy; a small sip coats the entire mouth thoroughly. The after taste lingers on and on with and the bourbon licorice and dark fruit notes. The 19.5% ABV is ever present but not distracting. Shared this one with my sons the day of the last snow, after-Easter christening the beginning of the 2010 BBQ season. This one is phenomenally complex. Very similar to my favorite Double Stouts but with a tad extra edge.

jjayjaye, Apr 11, 2010
4.95/5  rDev +9%

Huge thanks to Roymunson for sharing this during Munsonfest.

A: Pitch black, very thick but not quite motor oil or Dark Lord. Moderate head on the pour with just a bit of retention. Some wispy lacing.

S: Deep, rich fucking malts. Not burnt but very roasty with loads of deep sugary molasses. You can definitely tell that it's a huge beer bu the alcohol only comes out a bit and is already melding well.

T/M: I want to hate this beer but I can't. This is very good. Deep, rich malts, but again, not burnt. Deeply sweet molasses and caramel. Some muted hops but not huge like Expo. Damn fine alcohol line, not much heat but plenty of flavor that melds nicely. Light, flavorful wood with some vanilla but not tons of bourbon. Body is full but not heavy and very very creamy.

D: 19.5? I would never guess this past 12 or so but still incredibly drinkable. Like I said.... I want to hate this beer because of the hype but damn.... This is an incredible beer.

EDIT: Just split a bottle with my Kels and the bourbon is much more pronounced in this bottle. Still not massive on the bourbon but definitely a step up and a nice improvement. Gonna bump the aroma up to a 5. Fantastic.

pwoods, Nov 15, 2009