Black Tuesday - The Bruery

2010: 18.2% ABV
2011: 18.3% ABV
2012: 19.2% ABV
2013: 18.9% ABV

(Beer added by: OlieIPA on 07-18-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Black Tuesday Alström Bros
wrightst

Maryland

06-20-2014 02:34:37 | More by wrightst
JohnGalt1

Idaho

4.03/5  rDev -11%

Footbalm brought this along with a plethora of rare beers to the weekend RIS tasting... Thanks Eric.. Classy.

No real head as expected.. but it pours like motor oil.. coats the glass with every swirl.

Nose is thick with every element pronounced yet not very melded... dark chocolate syrup.. quite alot of bourbon.. raisins and dark cherries.... oaky in later pours.

Flavor is immediately reminiscent of Bourbon County but with alot more sweetness... boozy brownie batter .. vanilla sugar.. bits of coffee are drowned out by dark sweet fruits drenched in chocolate sauce.. Full bodied with a nice carbonation, but each sip makes me wanna go brush my teeth.. too cloying for my tastes.

Eric.. I appreciate the opportunity ... We had plenty of BT in Denver this year, and while I think it is very interesting, I still view it as more of a novelty.. That said, I REALLY want a bottle or two to hang on to for a few years and see how it melds... it seems like a bit of a mess right now.

3.5/4.5/4/4.5/3.5

01-22-2010 08:01:41 | More by JohnGalt1
Zaphog

01-03-2013 21:33:22 | More by Zaphog
glid02

Georgia

4.83/5  rDev +6.6%

Shared by gford217 - much obliged!

Pours black with dark brown highlights as the beer clings to the side of the glass and a thin brown head that quickly recedes into a smooth and oily top. A nice swirl leaves brown legs on the sides of the glass.

Smells of roasted malts with hints of tobacco, vanilla, bourbon, and dark chocolate, more or less in that order.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Mild roasted malt flavors up front are overtaken quickly by vanilla, bourbon, and dark chocolate. Midway through the sip hints of tobacco enter into things but stay in the backseat. The ending is mildly boozy and bitter. The alcohol is absurdly well hidden.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's got a very smooth thickness with soft and grainy carbonation.

Drinkability is great. I finished my glass with absolutely no problem and could have entirely too much more.

Overall I have to say that it lived up to the hype. I think the best thing about this beer is how well integrated all of the flavors are while managing to not taste overly hot. Not the best beer I've ever had but it certainly has to be part of the conversation.

12-07-2009 03:31:03 | More by glid02
HopHead84

4.98/5  rDev +9.9%

20 malt batch consumed on 08/01/2009 on tap at The Bruery. I toyed with the idea of driving up here to try this on draft, and the only thing that was stopping me was the fact that I already had a couple bottles reserved. With each new review of the beer that I read, the urge to head north grew stronger, and finally I found myself on the 5 North last Saturday riding for victory (more bottles and a draft sample).

The liquid is black in my snifter, as any good Imperial Stout should be. The toffee head is mountainous, and it leaves behind thick legs on the sides which are quickly reanimated by a swirl of the glass. The retention is excellent, finally choosing to settle into a lingering froth of various shades of brown. Great looking beer.

The aroma is magnificent. The dark fruit component is made up of grapes, dark cherries, and plums. Blackstrap molasses is present. The 19% is not at all represented in the nose. You could tell me the ABV of this beer is 7% and I'd believe you (If I hadn't already seen the legs). Notes of brown sugar accompany vanilla, oak, and rich toffee sweetness. Dark chocolate is noticeable, and the bourbon is very well integrated into the aroma. It doesn't overpower and it doesn't take center stage. The candied sugar is excellent, but it's the maple that really stands out for me.

The flavor is rich chocolate and toffee with bourbon and oak. The sweetness is sugary but nowhere near cloying. It's made up of maple, which tastes wonderful, and candied, which is also fantastic. I commented on the well integrated bourbon in the aroma, and that trend continues in the flavor. I really love bourbon dominated beers, but there's so much going in Black Tuesday that balance is key, and any overshadowing flavor would be to its detriment. The dark fruit complexity is made up of plums, dark cherries, and grapes. Blackstrap molasses is present, and once again the alcohol hints at an ABV much lower than 19.5%. I honestly can't believe it. The only evidence of such an ABV is in the warming finish and the body that is evident in the legs in the appearance. The alcohol is masterfully hidden. The finish exhibits alcohol warming, with lingering toffee, bourbon, and maple sugar.

The beer is full bodied with a nice medium level of draft carbonation. I really hope this carbonation level carries through to the bottles. The mouthfeel is creamy, silky, chewy, and at times it is sticky.

All aboard. This is one of the best Imperial Stouts around and you'll just have to deal with it. Black Tuesday is a paragon.

11-19-2009 07:25:28 | More by HopHead84
liamt07

Ontario (Canada)

07-29-2013 03:01:08 | More by liamt07
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

4.1/5  rDev -9.5%

I've tasted this several times, many different batches, but this review is from notes at EBF.
A thick black viscous liquid coats the inside of my glass with great legs. Aromas of chocolate, brown sugar, caramel, molasses, raisins and other dark dried fruits, along with a fair amount of ethanol. The flavor is sweet with dark and burnt sugars but that is countered nicely with a present but not overpowering alcohol heat. Roast and chocolate molasses round out the flavor nicely. Thick body with a light level of carbonation and a sweet syrupy mouthfeel. This is a monster of a beer, but its frikin tasty and devilishly deceptive.

03-24-2013 00:24:13 | More by johnnnniee
HuskyinPDX

Washington

Bottle opened and split on 6.29.13

2012 Vintage

A - Pours a deep brown/black with a few dark tan bubbles that form, move to the edges and then fade away quickly.

S - Bourbon, alcohol heat, chocolate, vanilla, roasted malts.

T - Bourbon and lots of heat, chocolate, vanilla, roasted malts. Very good.

D - Heavy body with lower carbonation.

O - This is a great beer that I have just never gotten around to opening. It was a nice bbq with friends over, so we opened some good beers. This was one of the hilights for me. Lots of boozy bourbon, heat, and layers of chocolate and vanilla. Wonderful beer.

06-30-2013 22:56:10 | More by HuskyinPDX
THECPJ

Delaware

01-05-2012 19:04:43 | More by THECPJ
TurdFurgison

4.38/5  rDev -3.3%

I first tried this beer at DLD 2010, but was in no condition to remember enough for a review. I do remember it being very strong at the time... This week, I was lucky to try a pour of 2009 BT with a fresh palate, courtesy of Spycow (thanks Chris!). It was the first drink before a fairly large tasting, possibly not the best first choice what with the ABV, but one I pounced on.

This bottle was actually opened the previous night but was recorked in such a way that there was very good carbonation remaining. A nice audible when we pulled the wine stopper out. It poured dark black with a thin tan head (almost certainly diminished head versus drinking it the night before).

The aroma was much much better than my DLD recollection. Big bourbon notes and all sorts of delicious scents, vanilla and chocolate, rich roasted malts, some dark fruits, and very little alcohol (for a beer with >18% ABV).

Everything comes through in the flavor, this beer is definitely as good as people say. It comes across as sweet but not cloying, and the bourbon is tasteful without being overbearing. You can tell it's got a decent kick if only from the slight burn, but really you don't taste the alcohol. All of the other flavors mask it very well.

Low carbonation, probably due to the way I had it, but it worked well and I thought it was a nice creamy match for the flavors. The only real negative is the packaging, this type of beer should be sold in smaller bottles. I would never want to open it without a small crowd. Excellent.

12-30-2010 13:50:37 | More by TurdFurgison

drummermattie02

12-07-2011 23:14:24 | More by drummermattie02
ShanePB

4.47/5  rDev -1.3%

2010 vintage courtesy of hopderek at Imminent Liquidation - thanks!!

A: Pitch black, almost no head but it was there for a few seconds, oily looking body.

S: Bourbon....barrels...yup. Loads of seeping bourbon and wood notes from the barrel aging here. Some darker fruits (raisins, plums) and balanced caramel malt presence is here but definitely overshadowed by the bourbon.

T: A sweeter stout than I was expecting. Vanilla, bourbon, chocolate syrup, oak notes and sweet roasted malt again come into play. Very nicely balanced as these flavors seem to play off one another quite well. Nothing is dominating to the point that it doesn't allow the other flavors to shine. Damn straight!

M: Thick and oily, while retaining a certain creaminess about it that is what I always look for in an Imperial Stout. Slight carbonation bubbles that definitely doesn't detract from the body. Well done.

D: I mean, honestly, it's delicious but I couldn't drink much of this. I'd split the bottle and savor every sip. The alcohol is ridiculously high, so I can't score this really high.

Black Tuesday is absolutely worth it's hype. It's a beer every craft beer lover needs to get their hands on an sample at some point in time. Nicely done, boys.

03-07-2011 16:19:32 | More by ShanePB
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

4.38/5  rDev -3.3%

750ml bottle poured into tulip 12/10/12 generously opened by alpinclimber with Mattsander and myself

A not black but dark brown with deep cola edges, no head or lace as expected but some sexy thin legs, looks good but far from as dark as I was expecting

S almost smells more like bourbon then a beer, booze is strong with some molasses, soy faint teriyaki and even some smoky bacon, I get some woody earthy notes and chocolate, smells pretty good

T the booze is strong but if it wasn’t I’d be concerned, not as much soy but the vanilla and chocolate liqueur that replaces it works better for me, most of what I smells still there in one form or another but improved upon

M flat but syrupy and thick, much thicker then I’d guess from the color, its hot but manageable, silky boozy and a lovely bourbon aftertaste, well done for such a massive beer

O this is amazing now and I can only imagine what this would be like in a decade or two, pretty intense brew, I need to use some strength getting my lips apart, seriously though diabetes in a glass

I’m pretty stoked I got to try this one and now I feel the need to own one so I can lay it down for ages. This will end up as a truly amazing beer in 10 or 20 years. Thanks for the crack at this one Adam

10-17-2012 01:08:38 | More by wordemupg
xnicknj

4.83/5  rDev +6.6%

bottle poured into tasting glass. 2010 vintage.

Pours a completely inky, opaque blackness with a decent layer of toffee brown head resting on top. The retention slowly sifts away leaving a collar of tanned lacing and head on the glass.

Strong scents of smooth oaky bourbon with vanilla bean edges. Cocoa, brownies and chocolate syrup erupt from the nose, drenched in absolutely wonderful boozy warmth.

Heavily roasted malts with caramel and chocolately notes. The bal aging kicks in nearly immediately, with strong yet pleasant touches of bourbon and vanilla tannins. Chocolate cake, brownies, and cocoa all combine into the richness, which nearly overwhelms the palate. More boozy warmth and syrupy sweetness towards the finish.

The fullest of full bodies, lower carbonation, syrupy and sticky from top to bottom. This beer is ridiculously drinkable for the ABV, and the flavors are as absolutely mindblowing as the internet hype makes them seem to be. Don't be fooled, this is a one-of-a-kind beer.

03-24-2011 05:59:21 | More by xnicknj
Alieniloquium

3.88/5  rDev -14.3%

2011 750 mL bottle poured into my new CBS snifter. Split with baconbourbon.

Appearance - Doesn't really pour as black as I thought it would be, considering it's called Black Tuesday. It's a little translucent at the edges. Temporarily has a head, but it doesn't last. How could it, really? It incredibly sticky. If left for a while, I would expect this to reduce to a molasses-like sludge.

Smell - Bourbon, sugar, and alcohol. Whoah. I kinda get some of the stout behind it, but really it's overpowered by the bourbon, sugar, and alcohol. When I first smelled it, I got a lot of the barrel. As I drink it, I get less barrel and more alcohol.

Taste - Bourbon at first. Vanilla and caramel. No oak, but the barrel seems evident just from the bourbon and vanilla. Lighter malts shine through much more than any roasted malts. Immensely sweet. In the back I finally get some flavors from the stout itself. Chocolate and some coffee, but it's an afterthought to the sugar and alcohol. The finish isn't as boozy as I expected.

Mouthfeel - Thick and syrupy. Boozy, but not in the taste. It's warming to the point of a slight burn. Split two ways, this is a big ask. I want to go to sleep, but I still have half a glass left and I know I won't feel so hot in the morning.

Overall - Disappointing, I suppose. I don't know what I expected out of such a gigantic stout. It's like the scene at the beginning of Super Troopers where they chug the maple syrup, except there's lethal levels of alcohol in this. Good night.

12-25-2011 04:38:27 | More by Alieniloquium
Rhettroactive

District of Columbia

From 750mL wax-topped bottle to tasting glass
at my 30th Beerthday Bash on 9/23/11
*From notes

Vintage 2010

-- A BIG thanks to baycat for hookin' me up with this one. Cheers, Ryan! --

A: It's not called "Black Tuesday" for nothing. This monster is as dark as the pits of hell. A good, generous pour yields a 1.25 finger head with minimal lacing.

S: Just fantastic. It's boozy, yet there's a focused concentration of dark chocolate malt and toasted tannin. One of the better bouquets I've had the pleasure of encountering.

T: Now I get it. The density of flavor here is unmatched. It packs such an immense amount of wow per ounce - I'm astounded. I found it to be like liquid brownie batter, which is a really, really good thing. Is the 18% ABV detectable? Absolutely, yet it's so well integrated that I have a hard time complaining about it. This is a delicious beer.

M: Not as viscous as I'd expected, yet it doesn't hold the brew back in any way. It's soft and silky, yet the carbonation adds a wonderful layer of texture that enhances the flavor profile of the beer.

O: I didn't want to like The Bruery's Black Tuesday. Really, I went into this assuming I'd be drinking the most overrated ADIS on the planet. Yet from the moment the bouquet hit my nose and the heavenly liquid entered my mouth, it was over. I must concede that yes, this is a top notch Imperial Stout, and worthy of it's many accolades. There isn't a single facet of the beer that I can harshly critique. It's God damn delicious.

To put it simply: this is a masterpiece.

10-13-2011 21:20:39 | More by Rhettroactive
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

4.13/5  rDev -8.8%

750 ml bottle split and poured into a Bruery tulip. 18.2% ABV, no date (2010 edition).

He'll never see this, but I must send a big thanks to my fiancée's uncle for picking up a few bottles for myself and friends and sending them back this way!

A - Pitch black in appearance but clear on the pour, this one comes out like motor oil. It produces a short-lived tan head with almost no lace. Sticky legs cling to the glass.

S - Strong alcohol aroma followed by wood and heavily roasted chocolate malts. Notes of coffee with fig, raisins, and slight pine hops on the swirl. Then again that could just be the pine-sol cleaning agent coming from the hot booze. It doesn't smell as thick and sweet as I remember it.

T - Sweet molasses and rich bittersweet chocolate with subtle coffee notes and barrel aroma. The bourbon doesn't come through as much as straight solvent alcohol like in the aroma.

M - Thick and syrupy-rich with a full body, this is the thickest beer I've ever had for sure. Hot alcohol is surprisingly mellow in it's perceived feel. Not too overbearing.

D - Definitely boozy overall and unbalanced toward sweetness but very good and different regardless. This begs to a) be sipped and b) be shared. I wouldn't open a bottle of this without at LEAST two other guys to share it with.

01-25-2011 13:22:04 | More by BeerFMAndy
iL0VEbeer

11-27-2012 02:54:24 | More by iL0VEbeer
jrallen34

4.68/5  rDev +3.3%

I drank this from a 22oz bottle into my Rochefort chalice for New Years Eve.

The beer is very black, only showing the tiniest bit of brown in the light. The head is dark tan, rises about one finger. It looks full and creamy but it is sadly gone in about a minute only leaving a ring of head around the glass. The lacing is poor as is the carbonation.

The aroma is very malty, sweet and enticing. It smells wonderful and begs you to come back again and again. Vanilla dominates the nose, with notes of candy, and raspberries. This sweetness is balanced out by a touch of oak, bourbon and alcohol at the end.

The tase is very matly as well, extremely sweet to start. There is a ton of vanilla and light chocolate on the front, in the middle you get oak and it finishes with a medium alcohol, specifically bourbon taste.

The feel is little lighter than I'd hope for, not watery but not great. The finish is nice as tickles your throat and warms it up on the way down, totally from alcohol.

The drinkablility is nice, you taste the tiniest bit of alcohol but that's to be expected with a 19.5% abv.

Overall, this beer is very good and definitely lives up to all the hype. The 2009 is drinking great right now, aging does wonders.

01-01-2010 01:33:30 | More by jrallen34

05-31-2014 11:03:23 | More by KAF
thagr81us

South Carolina

4.75/5  rDev +4.9%

2009 Vintage! Served from bottle into a snifter while at Beechwood BBQ with a lot of Cali BAs after the Bruery Party. Poured pitch black with a minimal tan head. There was no lacing evident throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, caramel, dark chocolate, and slight alcohol. The flavor was of sweet malt, roasted malt, dark chocolate, alcohol, and maple syrup. It had a heavy feel on the palate with low carbonation. Overall this brew was nothing short of excellent. Had a great flavor and aroma going on here that invited you to come back for more. This vintage was still a little hot, but still great. Massive thanks to the BA who shared this one (can't remember who it was but BM me if it was you and I will give you appropriate credit). Definitely glad I got to try this one!

01-10-2011 14:38:49 | More by thagr81us