2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Humulus Lager - The Bruery

Humulus Lager
No picture uploaded.

The Bruery visit their website

American Double / Imperial Pilsner |  7.20% ABV

India Pale Lager, but closer to Imperial Pilsner than IPA, according to the brewery.

(Beer added by: vacax on 08-02-2009)
Ratings: 684 | Reviews: 130 | Show All Ratings:
jeffthecheff

Connecticut

4.22/5  rDev -2.5%

Pours a pale gold color with a high level of haziness. The head is fantastic...it's white and fluffy with very thick lacing.

The aroma is like a highly hopped IPA. That's pretty much what it is, as I didn't find very much lager character in this beer. The grass and citrus notes are very nice and very strong.

The flavor has a standard malt character that allows the citrusy and grassy hops to dominate. The bitterness is high, but not very harsh. The mouthfeel is crisp with a good level of carbonation. If this were a little lower ABV it would be crisper and drier, but for what they were going for, it came out good.

This was a nice, big beer that didn't show it's strength. I was shocked when I looked up the ABV, but by then...it was too late. Like I mentioned, I didn't get as much lager characteristics as other reviewers, but that doesn't take anything away from how good this is.

08-29-2010 23:22:22 | More by jeffthecheff
jpro

South Carolina

4.28/5  rDev -1.2%

Picked this one up in growler/bomber form via Charleston Beer Exhange's "Rare Bomber Thursday"... Pours a bright, hazy gold / orange with a white head that leaves sheets of lace on the glass. Smell is of tropical fruit hoppiness: pineapple, mango, peach - and some grassiness. Taste is more of the same - tropical / citrus hops with a touch of light grains - so delicious. Mouthfeel is light and crisp... cue the lager! Highly drinkable and awesome... wish I had more!

08-13-2010 23:57:53 | More by jpro
GbVDave

4.93/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured from a 64oz Bruery growler into a 20oz imperial pint. Extra special thanks to errantnight for the extremely generous hook-up!

A: Pours a rich, perfectly hazed, gold bar color with four fingers of the thickest and creamiest head I've ever seen on a lager. It seemed like it was planning on retaining forever, but it very suddenly receded down to a bubbly ring and thin skim. Sheets of puffy lace were left coating the glass. Carbonation was lazy.

S: I couldn't believe how fresh the hops smelled as soon as I cracked open the growler. Huge and resinous. Loads of pine and tropical fruit. Apricot, mango, pineapple, clementine, orange zest, with a dallop of pine tar. I couldn't keep my nose out of the glass!

T: Damn! My first few sips of this were so loaded with hops, it felt like my tongue blacked out for a second. When it "revived", I was met with a wall of hoppiness so perfect and well thought out, I could scarcely go more than 20 seconds between sips. All of the aforementioned tropical, citrus, and pine flavors, plus some peach, and the addition of a bit of crackery malt that does its' thing during the finish.

M: This beer is so packed full of resinous hop oils, the whole inside of my mouth seemed like it was buzzing. Astringent hoppiness actually made my teeth feel "squeaky", if you know what I mean. Wonderful.

D: Well, this beer humbled me. Seriously. So absolutely delicious. I got the email from the Bruery last week saying that they were growlering Humulus Lager and I thought to myself, "Oh well, another Bruery beer I won't get to try." The very next day I got a bm from Derek saying there's a package on its' way to me that's meant to be consumed "soon". Imagine my surprise when I opened the box and saw a Bruery growler inside with a sticker on the top that said "HL". Thank you very much for your generosity Derek!

04-18-2010 12:39:14 | More by GbVDave
rhinos00

Colorado

4.7/5  rDev +8.5%

Very happy I got to try this one. Thanks again Mark for this opportunity. Going into this beer I have really high expectations. I have had a few of the distributed beers from the Bruery and have not really been impressed. That being said, I was told their on-tap brews are amazing...so here we go. Poured from a growler into a snifter.

A- Pours a dark golden, maize color. Produced two fingers width of white pillowy head. Some lacing left along the sides of the glass. Clarity was at 100%.

S- Absolutely ridiculous. The aroma just from pouring the beer out of the growler was so noticeable. I found the aroma in this beer to be quite interesting. On one hand there is a cornucopia of rich, citrus hops, revealing notes of oranges, lemons, and pineapples. On the other there is a clear, piney aroma with a bit of malt that attempts to balance it out. The result is an aroma of citrus candy with an after scent of pine and malt.

T- Much like the aroma...plenty of citrus hops countered by a piney attribute and slight bit of cracker/biscuit type malts. What I really liked about this beer was that the bitter piney hops, along with the malts, left a clean, crisp, bitter taste on the palate. Very refreshing and an interesting twist when you are expecting a straight forward citrus hop bomb.

M- Light bodied, with a decent amount of carbonation. Loved the slightly sticky residue this beer left on the palate.

D- Probably the most drinkable beer I have ever had, especially with a beer at this high of an abv. I can't believe how fast this one went down.

Overall, well...I stand corrected. The Bruery has produced something that has blown my mind. After this experience I will most definitely be seeking out some of their more limited offerings.

09-15-2009 01:12:31 | More by rhinos00
HopHead84

4.6/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Growler consumed on 9/5/2009 and poured into a snifter. I've had this on tap a few times but I've never had the chance to take proper notes while I drink it. The beer is translucent and vibrant golden. It's crowned with a gigantic frothy white head, exhibiting excellent retention and leaving lots of lacing as it recedes.

The nose is remarkable out of the snifter and warmed to room temperature. Glass after glass, the aroma was the highlight of this beer. The nose is reminiscent of Sculpin, with notes of peach, orange, pineapple, grapefruit, and other tropical fruits. Resiny pine is present, and the malt is light and crackery, without a hint of sweetness.

There's a high level of clean bitterness in the taste. The succulent hops resound with pine resin and citrus. Pineapple, grapefruit, orange pith, lemon, and peach are all present. The cracker malt is faint and serves as a vehicle for the marvelous hops. The finish is dry, crisp, and bitter. The beer is light bodied with a nice upper medium level of carbonation and a crisp yet somewhat sticky mouthfeel. The hops are ripping the enamel off my tooth (I only have one).

Each time I try this beer (and this style, in general) I appreciate it more than the last. I really hope this is brewed again. Highly recommended.

09-09-2009 01:22:26 | More by HopHead84
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.85/5  rDev +12%

Holy hell I scored a growler of this! I am just tickled to be able to type this review. There are some beers out there that just seem to allude, big thanks to my man for not letting this one become part of that lot. Served gold and shared amongst friends and family on 09/04/2009.

The pour was nice, I was looking for a bit more, but that would come later. Bright golden amber in color with a good bit of haze and cloudiness to it. Small head of white on top that needed to hang out a bit longer but faded back with only a touch of side glass lacing.

Holy hops batman. I did not think it would be so strong. Rich pine hops cut with tons of citrus, Huge notes of medicinal malts cutting it as well. Really big aroma here. Then I took a sip and melted, literally melted. This was what I have always wanted in this style. I have had soo many bad imperial pilseners, this was the shit to be blunt. Crisp, clean, rich hoppy goodness cut with huge bready malts and a light touch of grain. Simply amazing. Each sip better then the one before it. I was just beside myself with joy. Medium and well carbonation body let the silky smooth taste just absorb all the moisture of my mouth and leave a long dry finish akin to apricots and grapefruit. Holy hell this is good. Abv is well placed, letting me get a taste without being overbearing.

Overall everything I thought it would be and a bag of chips. This was sublime. One of the best beers I have had in the last year hands down and worth every effort to try and obtain. Wow..

09-05-2009 20:14:45 | More by mikesgroove
johnmichaelsen

4.6/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Many thanks to Dyan for saving some of this from the growler he got the other day. Considering how absolutely delicious this beer is, I'm not sure I would have been nearly so gracious if I'd been in his shoes. :-)

The beer pours just a lovely hazy golden peach color with excellent head retention and lacing. The nose on this bad boy is incredible, giving off the sort of hoppy perfume I've only encountered previously in Pliny. I get a huge aroma of spicy citrus, coupled with wet tobacco, wet earth and sweet peach. Mama mia, this is one fine smelling beer. On the palate this is an exceptionally delicious and easy to drink beer. It has the mouthfeel of a spicey, but still very smooth and soft lager, but with the hoppy bitter punch of a West Coast IPA (think Sculpin). The beer actually starts off on the palate with some fruity sweetness, but then slowly, like a rising tidal wave, the hoppy bitterness comes on strong. The finish on this beer is nearly endless, with the alcohol very well integrated into the flavor profile.

Damn, but I wish this beer wasn't so rare. I could drink a lot of this beauty and can only wish that I someday get the chance.

08-29-2009 14:57:13 | More by johnmichaelsen
DefenCorps

4.95/5  rDev +14.3%

Immense thanks to womencantsail for trading this to me. Andrew was kind enough to ship it Express without my even asking for it, just so I'd get to drink this sooner.

A: In my Duvel tulip, this is a very hazy orange with a large, frothy off-white head that seems to stick around a while, leaving a little lace in its wake. For a beer this hoppy, the lace is a little less than I'd expect

S: Holy hops on the nose, batman! This is a true explosion of hops bright, citrus with orange, tangerine and a little bit of pine bitterness in the back. I'm not going to review this as an Imperial Pils, because it isn't one. It's a hoppy lager. Mild sweetness reminiscent of candied grapefruit. Pretty much a flawless expression of what hops are about. As it warms up, the pine character grows and is just immense

T: Holy fuck, this beer makes me laugh. Opening up with a firm bitterness with grapefruit and orange peel before being overwhelmed (in a good way) by a ton of hop flavor just beautifully express with a lot of pine needles and citrus - orange, sweet tangerines, a little grapefruit. There's just a little bit of malt character, and this just makes the citrus character taste candied. The finish is incredible as well, long lasting, with a smooth bitterness.

M: The resiny hop character makes this beer feel heavier than it is, and the soft carbonation just enhances it. Nothing is missed, though, as this beer showcases everything hops need to be - bitter, resiny, and flavorful. The finish is excellent, long lasting with a very smooth bitterness (I guess that'd be reserved bitterness). Just incredible.

D: Off the charts. I am looking forward to polishing off this growler tonight, and have a rollicking good time doing so. It is only into my 3rd pint that I feel like slowing down, and a little devil on my shoulder is telling me to save some for a friend tomorrow.

Notes: This is easily the best hoppy beer I've had since Younger. While Younger deserved a 6 for the way it felt on my palate, this beer earns it's 5, but otherwise, I can't think of a beer that better showcases what hops are about.
This beer also exemplifies the difference between East Coast and West Coast hoppy beers. The hop character of this beer is just epic, without whelming my palate, making this an absolute pleasure to drink.

08-28-2009 01:40:29 | More by DefenCorps
DougE

4.43/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured great, tons of head and nice cloudy golden coloring and nice sediment.
Smelled extremely hoppy but must have been lots of finishing hops in the kettle because the bitterness was not as strong as I expected.
Mouthfeel was good but, a tAD hot with alcohol. I could feel it in my throat quite a bit.
The burp was amazingly floral!
I would drink this one again.

08-16-2009 06:10:07 | More by DougE
EliottJW

4.4/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This was a really great looking beer right from the pour. My pour was a touch vigorous as it was the first poured from the growler, but it looked awesome. pale yellow with some fine sediment swirling around. it also had a nice, thick and tight head that stuck around forever. the lacing was nice and thick and stayed put with every sip I took.

the nose in this beer is pretty ridiculous. TONS of crisp hops... really, really floral. reminds me of dupont foret minus the belgian yeast. I'm really expecting an extremely bitter beer from the smell of it.

ended up being not nearly as hoppy as I expected in that it's extremely well balanced. some of this beer's bready sweetness really helps to balance out the HUGE hops I was expecting.

This beer is perfectly carbonated, and while it's a bit heavier than I would have expected, it still drinks extremely smooth.

I would have scored it higher on drinkability, but I have to admit that my mouth is a bit confused. flavor and mouthfeel would have you believe that this beer is much higher in alcohol content than it actually is. I think even if it's at a sessionable abv, my mouth would call for a halt after 1 or 2.

really though, this is a great beer. I'd absolutely recommend it if you want something new.

08-11-2009 19:38:03 | More by EliottJW
juhl31

4.03/5  rDev -6.9%

-not quite a golden yellow with some cloudiness. really scattered lacing

-smell is nice. smells like a DIPA. solid hops, some foot. crazy for a pils though

-not as much hops in the mouth which is good based on the style. a little soapy to me. good taste though

-little oily

-solid. if i had to make a list of pilsners to keep around, this would be one

08-04-2009 03:24:44 | More by juhl31
vacax

4.38/5  rDev +1.2%

An India Pale Lager (IPL) brewed with four pounds of hops per barrel. The closest recognized style in my opinion seems to be that of the American Double/Imperial Pilsner, though the hop/grain bill here is not necessarily similar to a pils. Hybrid style, what can you do?

Humulus Lager is a lustrous cloudy golden lager with a white two-finger head. Retention is high and lacing is graceful and abundant. It must be the abundance of hop oils in this that results in probably the thickest most unbelievable carpet of lace I have ever encountered. Best looking lager I have ever seen, bar none.

The aromatics at play in this India Pale Lager reminds me of a traditional west coast hop bomb. Loads of pine and abundant tropical and citrus fruits. An assault of grapefruit and tangerine then some persimmons and pineapples backing them up.

My taste buds are immediately thrashed with an onslaught of white grapefruits and pine needles. The lager aspect retains a crispness that reminds me of a Belgian IPA, but is much milder and does not detract from the hops. It is hop focused and relatively dry, no syrupy malt character here. Some earthiness, tangerine, spruce, and geranium floral elements on the finish. A true West Coast IPL.

Medium body is surprisingly light for a 7.2 beer, retaining the drinkability of a lighter beer. Prickly full carbonation feels right for such a hopsplosion. The extreme hopping may put off some toward the level of drinkability, but the light crisp flavor and abundant carbonation make drinking easier than it should be!

Calling Humulus Lager an "India Pale Lager" is an accurate descriptor. Perhaps more accurate would to call this a hop focused, unbalanced, in your face hop bomb, but it's a lager! If this were "just" an IPA, a Belgian IPA, or an Imperial Pils I would probably be more critical, but the idea that this is a unique creation gives them the full benefit of the doubt when scoring this one. Another +1 for creativity at The Bruery.

08-02-2009 01:16:23 | More by vacax
reebtaerG

Maryland

4.39/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

6oz pour into wide mouth short glass at Fireworks Pizza

A-Pours clear golden with a large creamy beige head that dissipates slowly with nice lacing.

S-Aroma is light pine, citrus, Passionfruit, guava, musk melon.

T-Flavor follows, light sweet and medium bitter, fruity, tropical, a bit dank. Pretty nice finish with lingering tropical bitterness.

M-Medium body, oily mouthfeel. Nice carbonation. Very clean

O-Impressive imperial India pale lager. Would really enjoy in the summer!

04-02-2014 01:48:10 | More by reebtaerG
Gatch

4.2/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On-tap at Hostel Tevere in Warren, VT!

A: Clear, golden-orange in color with a fluffy, bright white head. Not much lace and retention.

S: Dank, floral, sticky aromas.

T: Real dry and fruity. Super hoppy and slightly bitter with a seriously dank finish.

M: Sweet but smooth. Hops dominate every aspect of this beer. An easy drinker.

O: Quite a twist on the traditional massively hopped double IPA and the lager qualities stand out. Hard not to compare this to Jack's Abby offerings and it just doesn't match up. While very delicious, it lacks consistency and has some rough edges.

03-16-2014 03:26:54 | More by Gatch
Bung

3.65/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Draft at Duckworths Ballantyne. Pretty clear gold pour, thin white layer. Sticks to the glass a bit.

Aroma, some pine and citrus zest. A little bready pilsener like malt.

Taste, light biscuit, heavier pine and citrus zest again. Bitters linger quite a while. A little more caramel and grain comes though as it warms, but very little.

On the light side body wise, nice smooth carbonation. Drinks very easily.

More of an ipa than a pilsener, probably why it is rated so high. Needs more malt and grain balance. Very straight forward.

"Come on ride that train, and ride it...it's a choo choo train.."

02-18-2014 01:40:17 | More by Bung
gatornation

4.23/5  rDev -2.3%

on Tap @Matchbox
A-pours a slightly hazed golden color with a small white head but nice thin clingy lacing thru-out very fresh
S-citrus ,cracker lemongrass a sweet floral smell
T-delicious with clean crisp notes of citrus and floral hops that are mixed with spices and caramel malts
M-crisp with with medium carbonation sweet floral hops a touch of dryness
O- great brew refreshing easy to drink

02-16-2014 22:10:52 | More by gatornation
Alieniloquium

3.4/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

On tap at the Reservoir. Served in a snifter.

Appearance - Clear golden amber. Small white head. Wispy surface with nice lacing.

Smell - Herbal and grassy. Some grapefruit. Pungent and sweet. A little grainy. Smells like wheat.

Taste - Grapefruit hops. Sweet. Some caramel. Grainy wheat. Sweetness builds along with bitterness. Grassy in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium body. Medium carbonation. A little sweet for me.

Overall - The more I drink it, the less I like it. I guess it's good for a Pilsner, but that doesn't say a whole lot.

12-27-2013 02:57:18 | More by Alieniloquium
wedge

4.15/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

@ Ridgewood

Clean gold covered with a sticky pure-white head. Stinky, leafy citrus and fresh hop pellets in the nose. Grass and pineapple becoming more pungent and spicy towards the bottom of the glass. Fresh peppery citrus, spicy bitter pine, peach, and grapefruit hop flavors. A bit of trailing cracker-like malts, but the focus is squarely on the hop resins. Drying, fairly crisp, and extremely drinkable for a style that can sometimes be a little tedious.

12-24-2013 16:33:43 | More by wedge
cbutova

4.15/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Finally got a chance to drink a glass of this at the Bruery Tasting Room. Notes taken last week.

A- Poured from the taps into a chalice with a golden-orange body. Puffy, creamy white head builds to a few fingers. Cap retention is decent and a bubbly ring leaves spotty lace patches.

S- Fresh, bright hops with nice tropical fruit, dank and citrus feel overall. Slight sweet cracked malts and yeast bread in the backdrop.

T- Hoppy forward but not a huge bitterness like the IPAs of today. Smooth and drinkable hop profile of mango, orange citrus, flowers, tropical fruit and some dankness. Mostly hops but some cracker malts and yeast character comes through once in a while.

MF- Creamy light end body foams up nicely on the palate. Slightly bitter finish and smooth overall moderately high carbonation.

Hoponius of the West I suppose. Glad to be able to finally try this one. A brew I would gladly drink again.

11-11-2013 01:47:47 | More by cbutova
mactrail

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

On tap at Local Habit. Handsome golden amber with a long-lasting head in the tulip. Plenty of carbonation and a tangy mouthfeel. The great thing about this beer is the fulsome aromatic hoppiness. Bitterness is restrained, but adds a nice note to the malty base.

Rather sharp after some sipping. Really spicy hop flavors linger invitingly, wafted up by the hottish alcohol. Some deep fruity flavors that remind me of mango and apricots. A tasty brew that seems stronger than it really is. And a good example of another homegrown style that seems to have a reason to exist. My favorite Bruery product so far.

10-28-2013 05:08:37 | More by mactrail
barleywinefiend

Washington

4.14/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured a clear golden yellow in color with a small fluffy head that left some spotty lacing on the glass

S: Not what I was expecting...big citrus nose, a light pine and loads of fruit

T: Is this a lager? I would say an amped up IPL perhaps but not a Pils. Loads of fresh fruits(citrus), light pine, subtle bitterness. Clean, hop forward finish

M: Light-medium body with a good amount of carbonation and a lightly bittered yet pseudo dry feel

O: Great tasting beer but not sure I would rate this as a PIls by any sordove BJCP standard.

10-12-2013 02:03:24 | More by barleywinefiend
dar482

4.8/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

The beer comes in a golden orange color with a white head.

The aroma is a bit muted with some lemon and citrus fruitness. Its really hoppy however with some light pale malt.

The flavor is just perfect though. A good amount of zesty citrus in the front and then it hits you with grapefruit with pine on the finish. There's a cracker sweet bready malt in there, but it still stays away from being sweet and has that clean lager feel, although it tastes more like a really well made ale. A really clean clean beer.

The beer has a medium mouthfeel with tons of drinkability.

The highlights of this beer are its huge drinkability, but rarely do you get a beer that really is so much "hop juice." Your tongue just constantly keeps licking your teeth because of how hoppy this is. For 30 minutes after this beer, I didn't stop with noticing how hoppy it was on my teeth.

This beer is so darn crisp, clean, and hoppy. I would argue it stands up there with some of the best hoppy beers like Zombie Dust and Pliny.

09-14-2013 06:50:27 | More by dar482
Nugganooch

On tap at Pizza Port - Bressi Ranch
Aug. 5th, 2013 – standard pint glass

A: Golden light-straw colored body with some minimal haze. Very thin brim of pure white foam bubbly remains for a few moments before subsiding to a crown and marking the glass with lace upon each swig.

S: Smells of grapefruit, orange, and some light evergreens with a mild tropical twist. The aromas take on a very floral nature. Real botanical. Malt is rather subdued and a nonfactor in the nose. Very pure, clean Lager yeast profile. A lovely fresh hop medley. Somewhat tame by IPA standards although forward by Lager comparisons

T: Flavors are grapefruit, citrus, peach, and tropical mango-like hops. I get a very distinct floral quality that is almost perfume like as well. It really seems to dominate. Haven’t quite experienced that with this brew before. Hoppy with no abrasive qualities. Rather a very smooth, well-rounded overall hop bitterness to the beer and the alcohol is incredible well masked. Malt is secondary. Very light dry cracker base and a super clean Lager yeast as well. Tasty and refreshingly hoppy. As to be expected.

M: Very light body with a nice spritzy carbonation and killer drying crisp lager finish. Very clean and slightly resinous with sticky hoppy oils.

D: Light, dry, crisp, and refreshingly hoppy this is a very drinkable lager and one I order whenever available. I will say this has been more on par with Sculpin or Pliny in my previous experiences. Found it to be a little less vibrant and a lot more floral here. I really want to score this higher. Perhaps next time will convince me.

08-27-2013 21:57:53 | More by Nugganooch
mdaschaf

Washington

4.45/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on tap at The Sixgill

A: Pours a slightly hazy orange color with a 1/2 finger white head on top. While small, the foamy head had great retention and left nice rings of lace.

S: Not has hop forward as I expected, but very nice. Some light citrus with a bit of graham cracker malt underneath.

T: Nice and hoppy, with more citrus fruit, a bit of orange and grapefruit with faint bitterness. Some light sweet graham cracker malt with a bit of the lager yeast coming through as well.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

O: Finally! Been wanting to try this beer for a long time and it was great.

08-15-2013 02:15:12 | More by mdaschaf
artoolemomo

4.2/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance- Pours up a good amount of head that has really good retention. The head is a pure cotton white while the body is a hazy yellowish orange (grapefruit) that looks a lighter orange (weak orange juice) when held up to the light. Substantial lacing which is basically sheeting.

Nose- Mostly citrus notes at first- orange and lemon. Not very strong but still quite nice. Some grapefruit and a slight mustiness/armpit. Very nice but subdued. Warm and inviting.

Taste- Very strong (initial) mix of grapefruit, orange, and matchstick. Some hints of tropical fruits. Very hop forward. At this moment, I would regard this as a DIPA if I didn't know otherwise. Pine and woody resin. No real malt bill except the spicy, slight grain of a pilsner malt. Properties which distinguish this from a DIPA: not as hoppy, slight spice that does not seem to come from the hop profile, and a nice dry finish. The finish tends to clean up the hops on the finish even despite the fact there is still some wood and resin on the finish. No indication of heat. Now that I read that the Bruery describes this as an IPL, I understand. Definitely a solid beer.

Mouthfeel- Light bodied with a lot of zip. Usually, I would consider the amount of carbonation to be a negative but it really works with this beer.

Drinkability- Delightful. Very easygoing. No heat. Six buck for a 12 oz. pour of the Bruery is pretty good. Crisp, refreshing with a nice dry finish.

Overall- Very solid beer. It's a very good representation of the style the brewery is trying to make but not the one BA classifies it as. Even though I went to Beermongers with the intention of having this one beer (and only one), I almost had another.

07-18-2013 02:48:53 | More by artoolemomo