Autumn Maple Barrel Aged - The Bruery

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  13.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 09-05-2009

Made with Yams.
2013 release is infected.
Ratings: 291 | Reviews: 89
Reviews by flannelman808:
4.05/5  rDev +1%

A: Medium brown and quite murky. Topped with a light tan head with decent retention.

S: Bourbon with a good amount of rye. Dates and rich dark fruit suggest themselves and as well as brulee apricot.

T: Rye raisin bread with a honey date jam just about sums this up. I would add that there is a bit of a woody note as well as some booze, but not in a bourbon sort of a way. Autumn spices and yams finish it up.

M: Rich but nicely prickly.

O: Good stuff, and better than the original. However all and all this does not deserve it's hype. It's very rich and in the end underwhelming.

2.24/5  rDev -44.1%

750mL bottle acquired through the Reserve Society. Bottled 9/20/13. Served in my shiny new Phish snifter (my wife the the absolute best!).

Pours opaque chestnut muddy brown with a full frothy finger of cream colored head.

Smells straight up sour. Barrel funk, lime and vinegar.

At least some of the base beer comes through in the taste but this is infected. Overbearingly sour lemon and vinegar. Way back behind a curtain of sour I get a little spice, bourbon and sweet potato- so there's at least trace evidence that this was supposed to be sometimg other than a soured mess. Bad.

Medium light body with decent carbonation. Lemon and a tiny hint of sweet potato soufflé in the finish.

Perhaps I shouldn't review a beer that I'm pretty sure is infected but I have no moral qualms over this negatively affecting the score. I pay way too much on the bottles, let alone shipping them accross the country to put up with this. So avoid this, at least the 2013 batch. Not worth buying, trading or shipping even if you think you're curious.

4.22/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

had this one for a while...thanks to CAbeerCAbeerCA for the hookup. enjoyed from a bruery snifter.

a - brew poured a fairly muddy looking brown that settled into the glass a maroon purple with a finger of foamy fizzy head that was gone quick leaving some spotty head islands on the surface and a ring around the glass.

s - really nice yam, sweet potato autumn spicing with a huge glazing of caramel toffee over the top. nice bourbon vanilla-y vibe.

t - booze soaked yam. caramel, vanilla. grape in the background.

m - the abv is really well masked on this. doesn't feel big at all.

o - overall, better than i had expected. the barrel really adds a nice element to this beer. i don't want to say rumpkin since rumpkin is in a league of its own, but that beer is reminiscent of how wonderful the barrel helps for a vegetable beer like this. really tasty.

4.53/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2011 vintage, aged in my cellar.

After an aggressive pour into a Bruery tulip glass, the opaque walnut brown body is topped by a half inch tan head that stays a bit, then dissipates to a ring with some lacing. Looks good to drink.

Nose is yams and sweet maple syrup, vanilla, and autumnal spices including cinnamon and clove. The barrel aging improves the smell, muting the yams and bringing the spice to a reasonable level over the base beer.

Tastes great, the bourbon and wood aging really smooths the base beer out as well as the extra time in the bottle. Lots of bourbon flavor and maple syrup up front, then the yam flavor comes through and just enough vanilla and spice. Finish is spicy, more like a nice spice cake. The flavors are diverse, but very well integrated. The maple syrup sweetness does build up, but it is never cloying. This tastes so much better than the base Autumn Maple. The couple years in the bottle have smoothed this beer out, and there is not all that much oxidation present. Could go years longer.

For all the flavor and sweetness, the medium body is lighter than anticipated. There is enough carbonation that this is just over the line from being flat.

This is a beer that really lives up to its name. The yam flavor complements the maple and spice, and the Bourbon barrel aging elevates this to a completely higher level over the base beer. This is a fine beer, drinkable (in small quantities with the 13%) on its own, but better with friends and food.

4.42/5  rDev +10.2%

2011 version bottle poured into a sniffer.

A: pours a dark muddy brown, with a khaki finger and a half of head that fades slowly leaving a nice film on the top and some head around the edge of the glass.

S: Big nose of the usual Autumn Maple smells, but with a very sweet bourbon accomplice. Smells almost like if you crossed the aroma of sweet potatoes and a pecan pie, and a glass a bourbon were all on the table near each other.

T: Initially there is a nice burst of bourbon, then it fades into autumn maple. if you havent had autumn maple read those reviews to understand what I am trying to say.

M: Mellow carbonation, very smooth, but it is hot at the end.

O: Very impressed with this one, wonder how a little age can help this out. Hard to think it could get better, unless they let it sit in bourbon longer.

4.11/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Bourbon barrels to Autumn Maple. The regular version is awesome on its own, so what could adding liquor to the mix do to the beer? On-tap at the source itself, on to the beer:

Colored almost like autumn itself. Brown with orange hues and an accent of red. A short lived head on top, which drops to a lace around the glass. The aroma brings some aspects of Autumn Maple, yams and spices being prevalent, and the added characteristics of the bourbon barrel, booze and syrup. I could probably add this to my waffles for a change.

With so much of the barrel aged character in play of the beer's taste, it tastes like I have a small glass of yam liquor in front of me. There are traces of cinnamon and allspice to lift the experience. We have a big portion of sherry, as well of alcohol which acts as a two way street; it dampens some of the sweetness, but also perhaps being spoiled by The Bruery's ability to mask high alcohol beers, I get a good dose of strong alcohol. Still, it remains a very good beer. It's a full bodied beer with a smooth texture, but with a boozy character.

Autumn Maple with a twist. Sometimes you need a twist from ordinary, and the barrel aged version accomplishes that while maintaining greatness.

4.18/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From 11/26/13 notes. Bought 1 of these in the RS this year. Bottled 09/20/13, poured from a 750ml bottle into my Bruery tulip.

a - Pours a murky, reddish brown color with two inches of light tan head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of cinnamon, nutmeg, dark fruits, bourbon, pumpkin, oak, alcohol, toasted malts, and light caramel. As it warms more sweet bourbon comes out and it gets better. Pretty nice.

t - Tastes of bourbon, pumpkin, sweet dark fruits, cinnamon, cloves , vanilla, oak, toasted malts, and toffee and caramel malts. Very nice taste; more bourbon and pumpkin (I know it's yams but tastes like pumpkin to me), and nice vanilla and caramel too. Step up from the nose for me.

m - Medium body and low to moderate carbonation. Pretty smooth and almost no alcohol heat which is awesome.

o - Overall a pretty good "pumpkin" style beer, and miles ahead of the normal Autumn Maple base beer, which I'm not the biggest fan of. A beer that gets much better as it warms up, with some nice sweet bourbon and very easy to drink for 13% ABV. I only grabbed one this year in case I didn't like it and wished I had grabbed 2; next year I'd buy 2 of them.

4.68/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Pours amurky brown with fall colored highlights and hues, with a frothy tan head that fades slowly, great retention, providing great lacing

S: Yammy, warm, bourbon, spicey and hella good. Very inviting nose..

T: A healthy dose of bourbon initially then the base beer flavors just rush in. Loads of yams, spices, sweet potatoes, light pumpkin and some maple. Like Fall in a glass.A nice sweetness, bourbon and hint of vanilla midtaste which sordove transitions to a carbonated, somewhat dry, yet warm and sticky sweet finish

M: Medium-full body, well carbonated, evidence by feel, weight and appearance. A nice, warming and flavorful beer coats the palate

O: Hot damn. I enjoyed the shit out of this beer!

4.45/5  rDev +11%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

So glad I waited until thanksgiving for this beer. Tough to know style based on other reviews. I see it as almost a BA wee heavy. Pours a deep red with a thin layer of brown head. Smells of bourbon barrels, sweet candy, slight earthiness. A boozy version of our family sweet potato with sugar and pecan on top. Taste is a nice bourbon booziness upfront with candied sweet potato and cinnammon.. Sticky as it warms to room temp

4.32/5  rDev +7.7%

Consumed with Thanksgiving dinner, served in a chalice.

Pours a dark brown with a small tan head. Looks like an autumn afternoon. The head is whispy but has decent retention.

Lots of yams, wood, caramel, very sweet in the nose, and naturally, taste is similar. It's got spices as you would assume, but it's not as overbearing as I thought it may be. Brown sugar, maple with a smidge of grit. As with most Bruery offerings I've had, the barrel has been quite kind to this.

I polished about 500ml of this 750ml by myself and I was left drooping. That minor quibble aside, this is a great beer and will be in my Thanksgiving rotation going forward.

4.01/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a snifter. Served in a dark bar.

Rosewood body with a light wheat collar. Viscous legs, weak amoebic lacing, poor retention.

Maple sgar, toffee, tobacco, vanilla, and rum in the nose. The bourbon contributes quite a lot without overwhelming the base. Plenty of clove and cinnamon emerge as the beer warms.

Baked yams, brown sugar, caramel, leather and a whisper of cocoa on the palate. Complex and festive. Finishes a little sweet, spicy, and just a touch hot.

Creamy, medium-bodied, with low but sufficient carbonation.

A modest improvement on the non-barrel-aged version, itself a unique twist on the average pumpkin beer.

4.27/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A: A murky brown with one thin ring of foam sitting on the edges.

S: burnt caramel and vanilla, followed by sweet autumn spices(all spice, cloves...). There is some dry figs and raisins

T: Much like the regular autumn maple, it is heavily spiced with pumpkin/autumn spices, but it is rounded out by the maple and then the vanilla and caramel from the barrel. A slight bit of woodiness is present as well.

M: There is lots of flavor and it is a bit syrupy. Slight booziness. I would have liked a bit more carbonation.

D: It's easy to drink, but with all of the spices it can get a bit overwhelming.

4.32/5  rDev +7.7%

Bottle from the Bruery, shared at a tasting. I shelled out $18 for this sucker whilst standing among the very fermenters and -bals that produced this beer, and I drank it out of a Bruery tulip glass.

A - Pours a dark mahogany brown with a small tan head.

S - Aroma is bourbon, yam, spice, wood, and caramel, a little sweet. Definitely more well-rounded and plain better than the standard Autumn Maple.

T - Wow, what great things -bal aging can do. This is much better than the standard yam juice-like Autumn Maple. Flavor is fairly sweet but not overwhelmingly so, with yams, brown sugar, maple syrup, oak, bourbon, vanilla, and spices. Really tasty.

Side note here: I was told while drinking this that what I always thought were yams are not actually yams, and that yams are actually ginormous African roots that are about the size of...well...I can't actually think of anything as big as an actual yam. They're like 2 or 3 feet long and heavy as all hell supposedly. Sorry, but the last time I checked, this is America, and if you don't like it, feel free to haul your ass out of here and go somewhere miserable like Canada. My mom always made a mashed yam dish every Thanksgiving since I was a little kid, and it was delicious. Furthermore, Patrick Rue says there are yams in this beer, and I guarantee you he didn't get huge-ass 500 pound tubers shipped in from Africa. If you deny that those orange-fleshed potato-like things are yams, you are basically slapping my mother and Patrick Rue in the face. I do not take kindly to that.

M - Palate is smooth and creamy with some spice and medium-full body. Not boozy at all.

D - Good. This does not get cloying like regular Autumn Maple, nor is it Lost Abbey flat like 2008 Autumn Maple. Great beer overall, definitely benefited from hanging out in those -bals.

4.42/5  rDev +10.2%

Happy turkey day to me! Poured from the 750ml bottle into my Bruery tulip.

Pour is brown, brown, brown. Red highlights. It appears to be medium-bodied. A one-finger off-white head forms immediately, but quickly fizzles away to nothing but a thin collar. It's not the most impressive looking brew, but I figured things would get better...

...and they did. This smells delightful. Like Thanksgiving in a glass. Good thing, too, because all I had to eat was turkey and mashed potatoes. This beer took care of the yams for me. Smell is of sweet potatoes and molasses up front. As the beer warms, I get a bit more of the spice and maple aromas. Very nice.

Taste follows the nose almost precisely. Yams, brown sugar, spice, maple, and molasses combine with the bourbon barrel component to produce a delicious beer. The regular Autumn Maple is a good, but not spectacular beer - this beer demonstrates the possibilities that barrel aging can provide. The barrel-aged Autumn Maple is head and shoulders above it's non-barrel-aged cousin.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, with faint carbonation. I feel like this could use a BIT more carbonation, but it's still quite good. No huge complaints.

Drinkability... hmm... well, I drank a whole 750ml bottle of this myself with no problems. It's pretty damn drinkable. Unlike many spiced beers, I don't get overwhelmed with the spiciness.

Solid, solid effort from the Bruery. They are quickly becoming one of my favorite breweries, along with Russian River, Three Floyds, and Cantillon. Highly recommended.

4.12/5  rDev +2.7%

Appearance: Slightly cloudy medium dark-brown color orange overtones. Has a moderate light beige head that faded fairly quickly.

Smell: Vanilla, baked yams, brown sugar, some bourbon and slight cinnamon/allspice notes. Also has some very faint yeasty notes

Taste: The vanilla, baked yams, brown sugar, Bourbon, and faint cinnamon/allspice notes in the nose come through in the taste.

Mouth-feel: The light side of Medium-bodied with a fairly low-level of carbonation.

Overall: An interesting take on Autumn Maple. While the barrel adds some interesting elements, some of the sweet potato pie elements of the base beer are somewhat lost in the background.

4.97/5  rDev +23.9%

A: chocolate-brown, thin sudsy head, healthy lace.

S: spiced and roasted nuts, it smells exactly like fruitcake, raisins molasses, allspice.

T: all the flavors from the nose, walnuts and raisins are really pronounced, also figs, dates, plums. Finish is boozy, lots of bourbon and oak.

M: light- to medium-bodied, burning alcohol finish, virtually interchangeable with a sip of whisky.

O: tastes more like Christmas pudding than Christmas pudding does, pudding coated in brandy/bourbon. Really delicious, I'd just as soon eat it.

4.27/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Served from bottle into a Bruery tulip. Poured brown with a half finger off-white head. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, yams, brown sugar, maple syrup, vanilla, wood, and subtle sweet alcohol. The flavor was of sweet malt, yams, sweet alcohol, vanilla, maple syrup, oak, and subtle spices. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. After seeing some reviews on this one, I had a pretty good idea on what I was getting into. However, what I found was quite a bit more than I would have anticipated. The aroma was extremely nice on this one. Almost too awesome as it took me quite awhile to get to the first sip. On the first sip I am slammed in the face with yams. On the followthrough I have the nice lingering vanilla that refreshes the palate and invites you back for a night cap. A really well done brew that I'm definitely glad I had a full 750 mL for myself to enjoy, even though the volume along with ABV might make me regret that decision.

4.09/5  rDev +2%

I'm one of the few in my circles who really enjoy the regular Autumn Maple, so getting my hands on one of this BA versions has always been a wish but never a huge effort. Then Bobby (t0rin0) drops one of these on my porch in a box of ridiculous goodies from CA. I always owe you, ****er.

I purposely started off pouring this into two tulips a bit heavy, word on the street is The Bruery may have a reputation for flat ba beers. Well the head I was able to create was weak at best, a little swirling will produce a little activity but that's it. The color is a murky burnt red/brown hue, pretty opaque but not 100%.

Mmmm this actually smells really nice, so nice I'm letting the carbonation slide a bit. Caramelized sweet potato pie best sums it up, with a sweet bourbon sauce. Actually, the bourbon is pretty subdued; present but not the focus. I can tell from the first sip what the base beer was, and that is a plus to me.

The low carbonation fits better within a few sips...or the 10% makes me not want to feel feelings anymore. There isn't much boozy about this, and the lingering flavors of the beer are pleasant and welcoming. Either way while I feel a slight increase in the carbonation would garner higher marks for overall impression, it would boost the body a little. Thanks Bobby!!

4.26/5  rDev +6.2%

Trying a 2011 and 2009 vintage side-by-side.

A:
2011--pours a surprisingly dark brown with two fingers khaki head that fades into a thin ring with no lacing.
2009--pours a dark mahogany with less than a finger of beige head that recedes into a thin ring with no lacing.

S:
2011--lots of sweet potatoes, maple, and vanilla on the nose at first with notes of caramel and pumpkin spice. Oak and bourbon bring up the finish.
2009--loads of yams, vanilla, and caramel with pumpkin spices playing a minor role. There are some faint oak and bourbon notes.

T:
2011--lots of sweet yam, vanilla, and pumpkin spice notes at first with caramel and toffee also there. Oak flavors and bourbon bring up the finish with a light alcohol burn.
2009--vanilla, caramel, and yams dominate with light spice notes. Bourbon and toffee with some oak notes bring up the finish with a slight alcohol presence.

M:
2011--medium body with lowish carbonation, this beer is surprisingly light for such a high abv beer. It's almost watery.
2009--medium body with low carbonation, this beer is sticky thick, though is also slightly watery.

O:
2011-- a very good beer overall. Very complex and tasty without being overly sweet and boozy.
2009--this one is also good, though the bourbon presence is subdued and it's slightly sweeter. It's still tasty, though.

Ultimately, I think the 2011 is a bit better. They're both good, but the fresher bottle is a bit more complex. I think one year might be the sweet spot for this beer.

4.39/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a muddy, dark mahogany-brown with a dense ring of ivory and a steady stream of bubbles rising along the edges. Amazing nose of sweet caramel, maple-glazed sweet potatoes, pumpkin pie, pecan, and intense Bourbon. So nice, I wish Yankee Candle made aromas like this. Taste is more roasted sweet potato, dark maple syrup, cinnamon, and delicious, delicious Bourbon. Sweet, decadent, and amazingly drinkable despite the 13% ABV. Mouthfeel is smooth and a bit syrupy, with a medium-full body and good carbonation. Overall a wonderful treat, hopefully I can get more in the future.

Pours out a nice murky brown color with a decent head of lacing that sits on top for what looks to be a few minutes before settling down and coating the sides of the glass.

first smells of oak and light vanilla come through the air. Spiced notes, cinnamon, pumkin, I am guessing almost like Yams or something. As it warms it comes through with more barrel with vanilla and caramel notes dominating. Smooth and subtle carbonation leads to a semi dry and sweet finish!

Overall a great beer that I am sure will imoprove with age

3.83/5  rDev -4.5%

A- deep brown murky with a small light tan head. Lot darker then the regular version

s- lots of burboun. And barrel smell

T- similar to nose on the burboun and barrel, sweet maple yams vanilla spices nutmeg

m- creamy and smooth low carb

d- easy drinker, but a lot of the flavor from the regular version seam to have been lost. Wish it had more of the flavors of regular. Definetly needs to warm up.

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

Bottle from HopHead84. Thanks, Shane. You're like some kind of alcoholic Santa Claus, randomly delivering delicious new beers to the drunken masses.

Pours a clear but dark amber, appropriately autumnal, with a small white head that settles to a disc around the glass.

The nose has a massive yam presence, sweet and caramelized, baked with brown sugar and drizzled with maple syrup. Whiskey barrel notes of vanilla, spicy oak, and warming alcohol enhance the already rich base beer. There's a spicy component as well, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. This smells decadent.

The taste lives up to the nose, sweet yams marrying maple syrup and brown sugar, and backed by a huge boozy barrel presence. Spiciness comes through mid-palate, cinnamon and nutmeg most prominently. While this is fairly hot, the solventy element works beautifully thanks to the sheer richness of the base beer. Full bodied with moderate carbonation, a touch syrupy but surprisingly drinkable. While this is sweet from start to end, the finish reveals some mild woody tannins that add a balancing element.

4.08/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a deep russet brown with minimal head and light, slightly prickly carbonation. Lots of sweetness up front from the maple and the yams. Good bit of spice and some mild astringent bitterness. Maple and yam are distinguishable. One of a few spiced beers that I have liked a whole lot. Would like more with a fuller mouth feel, but overall a solid beer.

4.67/5  rDev +16.5%

On cask at The Bruery. Served still, barrel sample style.

Pours a complicated dark brown... amber towards the rim of the glass, but a deep maroon color in the bottom. Despite being served still, a long lasting tan head crowns it beautifully. The nose is ripe with yams and rich spices like nutmeg and cinnamon, all topped off with toasted marshmallows. No booziness despite sitting in barrels eleven months.

Tasting the 100% Barrel Aged Autumn Maple was an experience I savored for an extended period of time. The best way I can explain this beer is that it takes everything good and desirable in the Autumn Maple and amplifies it to the next level, meanwhile any of the harsh elements all got smoothed out inside those barrels. While barrels often transform a beer, in this instance it tasted like a natural evolution. Instead of tasting bourbon, whiskey, or oak I tasted the original elements of the beer, just simply made better. The roasted yam flavor became more genuine and rich. The flavor of nutmeg reminded me of roasted nuts. Toasted marshmallow sweetness and spicy cinnamon all smoothed out the experience, undoubtedly aided by the additions of bourbon and rye whiskey barrels.

The mouthfeel is somewhat dense and creamy, but not slippery. This was described as still, though there may have been the sightest hint of carbonation, or that may have just been the bitterness giving me a tingle. Some have complained about this, and I admit I had to sip this one very slowly to appreciate it, but appreciate it I did. For the record, the bottled version is fully carbonated, I tasted it, but I actually think I preferred this one still. A delicious beer that I thoroughly enjoyed.

There is not a better pumpkin (or yam, or spiced) beer out there, and so obviously my scoring reflects this.

Autumn Maple Barrel Aged from The Bruery