1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Autumn Maple Barrel Aged - The Bruery

Autumn Maple Barrel AgedAutumn Maple Barrel Aged

The Bruery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  13.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Made with Yams.
2013 release is infected.

(Beer added by: HopHead84 on 09-05-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 246 | Reviews: 87 | Show All Ratings:
BearsOnAcid

3.13/5  rDev -22.5%

Dark maroon body with a small off white head.

Nose hits with bourbon first and then a good amount of sweetness. Sweet potato, brown sugar, cranberry and seasonal spices.

Even more sweetness than I expected in the flavor. Lots of brown sugar mixed with a sweet potato flavor. Sweet bourbon. Sweet everywhere, in fact cloying. Vanilla, caramel and light cinnamon on the finish with a lingering essence of toasted oak.

10-13-2011 14:38:39 | More by BearsOnAcid
Thorpe429

3.2/5  rDev -20.8%

Bottle opened last night with Amyliz4. 2011 vintage. Served in a Bruery tulip.

Pours a very dark brown with a thin off-white head. Decent retention and a bit of spotty lacing as it goes down. The nose is really bourbon heavy, especially before it starts to warm up. At that point, the bourbon is still 85+% of the aroma, though there's a bit of the Autumn Maple spice in there as well. The flavor, on the other hand, is almost entirely bourbon along with some alcohol heat. Feel is better with some of the spices making an appearance again, plus the bourbon adds a nice -- but not overpowering -- boozy kick. Decent, but way too barrel heavy.

10-01-2011 22:22:00 | More by Thorpe429
Cavery

4.43/5  rDev +9.7%

Shared bottle at the Bruery last Saturday. Cheers to the Coachella Valley Homebrew club for pitching in on this one.

Bruery tulip/snifter glass.

A: Slightly murky brown iced tea with a blend of muddy pondwater. Creamy coffee cake frosting head. nice legs and a reasonable dark dessert bubble formation on this one. If this thing was a cupcake, I'd eat that damn cupcake.

S: Big sweet rum character in the nose. Bananas Foster really comes off strong here for me. There's also quite a bit of warming alcohol, but I wouldn't quite call it hot. Creme Brulee burnt sugars, sweet potato casseroles, and bourbon caramels.

T: Savory sweet potato marshmellow casserole with a big wet bourbon kiss in the middle-end. The way the scorched sugars plays off the already sweet yams really brings forth that rum character that I attribute so strongly to a taste of bananas foster. This beer tastes submerged in melted hot fudge sundae caramels.

M: Low medium carbonation with a medium-full body. This holds up the sweet potato casserole flavors in a big way. I'd say this mouth is about perfect for complimenting that Thanksgiving feast so many of us will be having.

O: This is my front-runner for a big Thanksgiving dinner night cap. It might be a tad on the sweet end right now, but I think this beer is poised for greatness. This is most certainly a bottle worth popping fresh, and perhaps an even greater candidate to lay down for next years winter holidays. Don't fail to try this one fresh though, I think you'd be surprised.

09-27-2011 23:58:41 | More by Cavery
FosterJM

4.45/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

830th Review on BA
Bottle to Bruery Tulip
750 ML
2011 Bottling

Served at recommended cellar temp

App- Deep dense brown with crimson/amber edges. A two finger, crème colored head with a medium receding rate showed and fizzled away with loud production. Falls to a healthy pond layer of bubbles with a very good amount of lace/cling

Smell- Very good aromatics on this beer. Large amounts of bourbon sting with a softer vanilla. The spices of nutmeg and cinnamon come in next. Round out with a whispy booze and some candied brown sugar.

Taste- This is much more inline with the taste of the base beer just kicked up a notch. More smooth from the barrel and a layer of added richness and fullness. The bourbon of course comes first with vanilla layering underneath to cut the sting. The spices are a bit more prevalent in this version and the 13% is there and you know it but not too too overpowering.

Mouth- Medium to full bodied with a medium to low carbonation level. Residual vanilla bourbon notes.

Drink- I wasn't surprised I like this one the best. Barrel treatments bring out vanilla and I love me some vanilla. This was really a great beer. Balanced, layered, flavorful but not overpowering. I would love another bottle or on cask.

09-26-2011 19:14:35 | More by FosterJM
phichifiji00

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured into tulip glass.

Appearance: cloudy brown, minimal head, no lacing.

Smell: bourbon, maple, yams, brown sugar.

Taste: just as it smells, lots of bourbon, brown sugar and maple syrup.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, bubbly, crisp, boozy.

Overall: The bourbon taste overpowered the other typical autumn maple flavors. I'm hoping that as my other bottle ages, the bourbon will mellow a bit and allow the other flavors/aromas to come forward and balance this beer out. Still a very delightful beer.

09-25-2011 19:12:03 | More by phichifiji00
DovaliHops

4.38/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks again Chad! 2011 Vintage weighing in at 13%ABV. Pours like murky brown swamp water with a small head. Scent is very strong with bourbon, maple, and yams. Taste is just as it smells. A ton of maple syrup blended nicely with delicious yams and sweet bourbon. Bourbon is not overwhelming, which is good considering this is fresh. I would imagine aging this one much longer. Mouthfeel is full bodied and a bit on the syrupy side, but what would you expect from this kind of beer. Drinkability is high. Overall, this was a truly delightful beer that I wish I had bottles of for myself.

09-25-2011 07:33:22 | More by DovaliHops
seeswo

3.78/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours a hazy, slightly translucent brown with a big tannish head. Smells a touch boozy, a touch sour, combined with spiced, slightly candied sweet potato. The taste has a somewhat harsh boozy, bourbon finish. Tannic oak, bourbon, spiced, dry maple and sweet potato. Slick, medium heavy mouthfeel with lowish carbonation. Overall, this is a really interesting experiment that I certainly enjoy more than the regular autumn maple. There is quite a bit going on, but it is all a bit harsh. I think this might need some time. Fun spin on a fall seasonal without fake pumpkin juice in it.

09-24-2011 01:10:56 | More by seeswo
HuskyinPDX

Washington

3.88/5  rDev -4%

Thanks to t0rin0 for this bottle.
25.4oz bottle poured into my Bruery Snifter.

A - Pours a dark cola brown with a light tan head consisting of big bubbles.

S - Sweet fruit, cinnamin, maple.

T - Brown sugar and maple syrup.

D - Lower carbonation and sweet on the tongue.

O - Mmm... Is it Thanksgiving yet?

09-19-2011 22:20:06 | More by HuskyinPDX
Gfunk720

Connecticut

4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

A- A rich deep brownish color. A pleasant whitish tan head forms at first, and dissipates to a light ring around the top of the glass.

S- It actually has some soury notes to it at first. I smell the sweet yams and some maple, as well as hints of vanilla and bourbon. I gave my roomate a glass, and the first thing he said was "This smells sour"

T- Quite the opposite of the sour smell, very smooth and sweet. I don't get a ton of bourbon, but can taste the maple syrup and notes of brown sugar. The bourbon is mainly notice in some vanilla and booziness in the aftertaste.

M- Not a whole lot of carbonation, but the body is perfect. The taste is very complex, but the aftertaste dies out pretty quickly.

O- This was pretty darn good. I could use a touch more in the bourbon department, but very tasty none the less. Would have again.

-GFunk

07-09-2011 00:26:19 | More by Gfunk720
mikesgroove

South Carolina

Pours out a nice murky brown color with a decent head of lacing that sits on top for what looks to be a few minutes before settling down and coating the sides of the glass.

first smells of oak and light vanilla come through the air. Spiced notes, cinnamon, pumkin, I am guessing almost like Yams or something. As it warms it comes through with more barrel with vanilla and caramel notes dominating. Smooth and subtle carbonation leads to a semi dry and sweet finish!

Overall a great beer that I am sure will imoprove with age

07-01-2011 16:33:40 | More by mikesgroove
kbutler1

3.63/5  rDev -10.1%

Bottle. Thanks to mothman for opening this one. Poured into a DFH tulip glass an opaque murky copper orange colour with a slight tan whispy head. The aroma is sour funky with notes of lemon, caramel, and spice. Medium mouthfeel. This is an odd beer. It reminds me somewhat of Alpine Ichabod, the sour pumpkin beer. Starts sweet with caramel, spice, and the spice, very much like the nose. Ends with lingering sourness and vanilla/caramel notes. As this warms, I actually don’t mind this beer. It's different but drinkable and to be honest I think I probably like it more than my ratings would suggest.

05-12-2011 12:28:55 | More by kbutler1
psiweaver

Washington

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

Had this at Beechwood BBQ poured into a similar snifter to the Bruery's own.

A pours a light brown almost the color of brown sugar or maple syrup. Very little soft head with a light brown color to it as well.

S lots of maple syrup, some ginger and other almost pumpkin pie smells with a nice bourbon vanilla overtone to all of it. Smells very rich and complex.

T great taste lots of vanilla bourbon flavors start the taste in your mouth with some of the yam's squash pumpkin type flavors in the middle, this is where the spices come in with notes of all spice ginger and nutmeg, finishes back with the bourbony richness and a smooth round flavor that lingers on your palate.

M very smooth and easy to drink. The alcohol is incredibly well integrated for a 10% beer. I didn't even notice it was 10% until hopping on BA to write my review.

I would definitely seek this one out again as it was absolutely delicious. I would love to try it paired with an actual pumpkin pie or some amazing ice cream. a great slow slipper.

04-03-2011 16:31:27 | More by psiweaver
billyshears

Maryland

From notes.
poured into Duvel glass.
a: Dark ruby color; quite opaque; light head with nice lacing
S: bourbon oak, vanilla, sweet tones of maple + molasses, interesting spice smell that reminds me of autumn and fallen leaves; gf says pancakes and can't really disagree.
T: Distinct taste of yams; very different and unique; bourbon and alcohol backed with cinnamon and spices.
M: medium with more carbonation than expected.
A sipper. At first a bit taken aback by the yam taste, but it grew on me as it warmed. A decent beer, but I wouldn't say I was blown away

02-23-2011 03:55:41 | More by billyshears
NittanyBeerFan

4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

This review is brought to you by my up-until-recently misplaced beer journal. Luckily, I was very detailed in my written descriptions, so I am reviewing this verbatim...this was shared by treyrab on 10/3/10, so the review has been a long time coming. Poured into a tulip glass...

The body is deep brown in color. Some sediment floats just above a thin layer of yeast that has settled on the bottom of my glass. There is neither head that lasts any appreciable amount of time nor lacing.

The aroma is full of brown sugar and sweet potato casserole. There are also raisins, dates, oaky tannins, and vanilla from the barrel aging process. This really reminds me of the casserole that we have at Thanksgiving every year. The flavor builds more upon the already compelling aroma. Cinnamon joins the brown sugar and sweet potatoes as bourbon accents the taste of the base fall beer. The bourbon also amplifies the oak and vanilla, providing more balance. Dark fruits round out the flavor as the raisins and dates come full circle. The exhale brings warm ethanol that complements the rest of the flavors.

The beer is a medium consistency with low to medium carbonation. It feels syrupy on the palate in the finish. The yam and bourbon bring this Belgian beer into a completely unique category all its own. The spices are warming, but not overpowering, making this a perfect beer for a cool or chilly fall day.

02-20-2011 22:00:11 | More by NittanyBeerFan
sisuspeed

New Hampshire

4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

Thanks to Rachel for the hookup!

Poured into a Cigar City snifter. A maroon-brown body with an orange tint shines through the glass. A thin, off-white, head fades to a thin collar of bubbles. Beautiful color for a fall beer. Especially when some light passes through.

Sweet molasses and brown sugar covered yams rises up from the glass. Sweet bourbon and malts with a bit of chocolate. A touch of vegetable earthiness, mostly yam. Slightly medicinal. As a fall beer, I like this aroma.

The taste is filled with sweet, oaky, bourbon-soaked yam. Dark fruits with a touch of tannic sourness. Light, warming alcohol lingers beneath. Red grapes and a touch of brown sugar. Vanilla and grape skin. Light cinnamon and nutmeg. Well integrated.

Mouthfeel is smooth with light carbonation and warming alcohol. A little thinner than the regular Autumn Maple, but still pretty good.

This is quite drinkable for a barrel-aged, 10% ABV, yam beer. Probably one of my new favorite fall beers. Much better than most pumpkin beers I've had. The barrels seem to thin things out a bit, but the complexity they add is worth it. A little medicinal at times, which is why I didn't give this a solid A, but still quite good. Definitely seek this out if you're looking for a complex fall beer that will warm you on a cool night.

01-25-2011 03:51:57 | More by sisuspeed
naproxen

Connecticut

4.08/5  rDev +1%

I'm one of the few in my circles who really enjoy the regular Autumn Maple, so getting my hands on one of this BA versions has always been a wish but never a huge effort. Then Bobby (t0rin0) drops one of these on my porch in a box of ridiculous goodies from CA. I always owe you, ****er.

I purposely started off pouring this into two tulips a bit heavy, word on the street is The Bruery may have a reputation for flat ba beers. Well the head I was able to create was weak at best, a little swirling will produce a little activity but that's it. The color is a murky burnt red/brown hue, pretty opaque but not 100%.

Mmmm this actually smells really nice, so nice I'm letting the carbonation slide a bit. Caramelized sweet potato pie best sums it up, with a sweet bourbon sauce. Actually, the bourbon is pretty subdued; present but not the focus. I can tell from the first sip what the base beer was, and that is a plus to me.

The low carbonation fits better within a few sips...or the 10% makes me not want to feel feelings anymore. There isn't much boozy about this, and the lingering flavors of the beer are pleasant and welcoming. Either way while I feel a slight increase in the carbonation would garner higher marks for overall impression, it would boost the body a little. Thanks Bobby!!

11-29-2010 23:13:53 | More by naproxen
ktrillionaire

4.65/5  rDev +15.1%

I have never had the base beer, nor have I had a yam or sweet potato beer before.

A - It pours a translucent mahogany, like sweet-tea with a little off-white soapy froth.

S - Somewhat surprisingly, this is right up my alley, this brew is in my wheel-house, etc. Being quite the fan of pumpkin brew, the similarities here are uncanny; it seems that yam is an exceptionally similar addition. But in this case, it smells like a barrel-aged pumpkin beer. Big gourd notes are saturated with spicy-boozy and earthy barrel aromas. The nose is one of the sweetest I've ever enjoyed, largely due to the richness and complexity of the spicing. It is all interrelated; woody notes impart vanilla, which couples perfectly with the sweetness, which then tempers the booze, which in turn enhances the spice, which meld with the notes of maple, suggesting woodiness, and it all comes full-circle.

T - The taste is just exactly like the aroma transposed, however, what is tantalizing in the nose is in fact overwhelming in flavor. It has a very big maltiness that is richly sweet like EBW, casting impressions of date paste, palm sugar and the caramel that binds pecan pie. The pumpkin flavor is big, the barrel flavor almost as big, and lots of maple, pecan, vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon, cardamom and general mulled spice round it out. I like the whole thing with a regard neighboring the utmost, but the fact is plain that the brew is an outrageously sweet confection. I am reminded of Southern Comfort, Mountain Dew, Petits Fours; not because it tastes like any of the aforementioned, but because: 1) they are all things that I love the taste of. 2.) they can also cause instant diabetes.

M - It is pleasantly thinner than I might've expected. I say that because this brew would likely suffer from a heavy-bodied, syrupy feel. There is a low carbonated velvety slickness, and it works very well to enhance the brew.

D - Despite the huge sweetness and intensely desert-like flavor, the brew is so good that I could probably crush a bottle to myself (were it actually available to do so...)

Note: I eat various yams and sweet potato (there is a difference between the two) and so I am quite familiar with those flavors. This beer tastes distinctly like pumpkin, and not like yam or sweet potato.

11-06-2010 18:59:34 | More by ktrillionaire
Damian

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Drank from a 1 pint 9.4 fl. oz/750 ml bottle
Served in a tulip
A big thanks to fumner for including this as an extra in our trade.

The liquid poured a murky, burnt umber color with a thin cap of bubbly tan froth. Within seconds, the head faded to a lasting ring.

Dark fruits and vanilla notes dominated the nose. Deep, rich and sweet. Noticeably oaky. Brown sugar and spices also came through strong. Slightly yeasty. A bit phenolic.

The flavor profile was similar to the aroma but more intense. Dark and malty up front. Raisins and prunes were apparent. Super spicy with indications of cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice. Strong vanilla and oak notes appeared in the center. Some maple flavor too. A bit toasty. The finish was quite boozy (bourbon-y) yet not overwhelmingly so.

Other reviewers have noted that their bottles of Autumn Maple Barrel Aged lacked carbonation. Luckily, mine had a distinct, fine and mild effervescence (just enough to help the beer move along my palate and prevent it from becoming cloying). The body was a bit thin for the ABV however.

Although I have yet to try the original Autumn Maple, the barrel aging seems to bring a lot of complexity to this seemingly impressive base. Definitely seek this out before the remaining bottles disappear.

10-27-2010 01:42:02 | More by Damian
rootbeerman

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

Arrived in a belgian glass. With about a finger of light brown head. The body is dark brown. On smelling it has yeast, a bit of maple, sweet malt along with a spicy candied yam. Taste follows with the smell with the malt and maple. There is also the yam which makes the over all flavors long lasting. It is not o srly thick on the palate. This as with others from the bruery are sippers.

10-23-2010 03:24:39 | More by rootbeerman
treyrab

4.15/5  rDev +2.7%

A thanks goes out to my pal Hophead22 for sending me this brew about a year ago. Thought it would be the perfect beer to cap off the Pittsburgh Tasting of the Ages.

A: Pours a dark brown with nice tan head. The head doesn't last too long before going to a thin ring. Nice and dark with some mahogany hues.

S: Smells like a nice Belgian Quad with dates, yams, brown sugar, cherries, rum-soaked raisins, and Belgian funk spices. A lot going on in the smell and bourbon rounds it out.

T: Very nice and warming. The perfect fall warmer. Nice bourbon soaked dark fruits (raisins, figs, dates) blended with some vanilla, brown sugar, yams, and pepper. Perhaps hints of cherry as well.

M/D: Very nice and creamy. A nice warmer that I could sip on all night on a cold fall/winter night.

10-03-2010 17:37:58 | More by treyrab
grub

4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

sampled april 10/2010 as part of our giant bruery tasting. Viggo and ritzkiss provided the brews, so thanks to eric and eric!

750ml bottle.

pours medium to dark brown and a bit haze, though a little less hazy than the non-barrel-aged version and darker too. the small dense off-white head drops fairly fast and leaves spotty lace.

aroma is good. bourbon and oak. the spice and yam from the regular version have mellowed out and are pretty subdued here. light alcohol. bit of orange and spice. rye bread. bit of caraway.

taste is nice. bourbon and vanilla. dark chocolate. bit of anise. whole wheat bread. the spice and such has really mellowed out. orange. bit of coffee. warming alcohol. a bit more of the spice comes out as it warms, but still manages to stay more mellow than in the original version.

mouthfeel is good. medium body. medium carbonation level.

drinkability is great. excellent balance. i liked it more than the original version, but some of that is my personal preference against spiced beers. the addition of the barrel is complimentary and works well.

04-22-2010 21:32:50 | More by grub
johnmichaelsen

Oregon

4.72/5  rDev +16.8%

Graciously shared by and with Dyan last night. Was expecting this beer to be pretty good, but was in fact amazed by the quality and innovation this beer showed.

AM pours a fairly dark brown color with OK head retention and light, sticky lacing. The beer doesn't look all that impressive, but then I stuck my nose in the glass. Good lord! Houston, I believe we have achieved lift off. The nose in this beer is incredible, and included an aroma profile of vanilla, sweet potato/yams, pumpkin pie, cinnamon and nutmeg. The sweet, spice laden aroma profile is just stunning in this beer. On the palate, this beer is every bit as impressive, as I now got chocolate, brandy, more pumpkin pie, cinnamon and vanilla.... all on a fairly sweet frame. Mouthfeel is medium bodied to full, with a long, rich, sweet finish. Drinkability is terrific in this beer, especially considering the sweetness, abv. and boatload of spice. While you wouldn't go gulping it down, it was no trouble at all drinking down my 10 ounce glass.

This beer pushes the boundaries and is an absolute tour de force by Bruery. As Dyan noted in his review, this beer blows the regular AM completely out of the water. Very, very impressive.

04-14-2010 15:15:08 | More by johnmichaelsen
DefenCorps

Oregon

4.55/5  rDev +12.6%

At the outset, this beer beats the living crap out of the regular Autumn Maple with a pneumatic nail gun on turbo. Many thanks to waltonc to sending me this beauty, and to John for facilitating it.

Clear deep mahogany red with a thin beige head that hangs around for a big before receding to a wispy ring leaving a beautiful amount of lace, this is a gorgeous beer.
The nose opens spicy with cinnamon, nutmeg and some mace to go with a HUGE vanilla character, this is rather eggnog like. The sweet potato (in this case, yam) character is noticeable, as is some booze. Really, this is like cinnamon vanilla sugar withe a moderate bourbon character. This beer has really spent its time in the barrel very well. With some milk chocolate, this beer is just off the wall. With some mellow caramel, this is something I look forward to revisiting. Brown sugar and maple syrup are noticeable as well.

The palate is beautifully integrated with vanilla, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, mace and a moderate yam character. This is darned rich and complex. While the sweetness i present, it is moderate with the brown ale base coming through, with flavors of brown sugar and maple syrup . The time in the barrel has allowed the spices to mellow out and the Belgian yeast character to come through, making this beer truly unique. Drying on the finish with a mild spiciness and moderate vanilla, this is pretty excellent. Alcohol is noticeable on the finish, as it is on the nose. Medium in body and low in carbonation, this beer is pretty special. My only criticism would be the mild astringency on the finish.

**Edit 16 Jan 2012**
I got a couple of bottle of the 2011 release. The nose isn't as vanilla-like as the first batch, and not as explosive and off the wall. Spicy up front, with moderate bourbon, some vanilla, and moderate oak. The palate is spicier, with more oak, brown sugar, yam, and booze. Fairly light, with ample carbonation and moderate tannin on the finish. Pretty solid, I'm enjoying this and wouldn't turn this down. 4/4.5//4/3.5/4

04-14-2010 02:22:39 | More by DefenCorps
Viggo

4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

750 ml bottle, big thanks to ritzkiss for sharing this rarity.

Pours a pretty clear reddish brown, some orange highlights, thin off white head forms and settles to a thin ring, a couple lace spots stick.

Smell is nice, better than the original, yams and caramel, woody, big vanilla, bourbon, some alcohol, a bit sweeter with some sherry notes, spices are better integrated, real light cinnamon and nutmeg, yam character is better.

Taste is similar, just a smoothed out version without the high carbonation, caramel, yams, vanilla, coconut, big barrel character, boozy middle, light spice and bit of sourness in the finish.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied wtih low carbonation, pretty good. I dug this one better than non BA Autumn Maple. Thanks Eric!

04-12-2010 17:32:27 | More by Viggo
bartle

Thanks Eric.

Side by side with the regular Autumn Maple.

This poured a little richer copper than it's counter part. Better head retention.

It has a great nose. I really dug this. It was bourbon soaked sweet potato pie with some raisins and a nice belgian yeast character present.

The taste was just amplified again. Some great earthy bitterness, with sweetness, caramel, honey, bourbon, raisins and figs, a little gritty as well. Some great candied sugars and spice, a little boozy, but not hot. Just nice to give it some kick.

Full mouthfeel. Medium to high carbonation. Pretty dry for the sweetness.

I dig.