Rugbrød - The Bruery

RugbrødRugbrød

The Bruery visit their website

Rye Beer |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Halcyondays on 10-05-2009)
4.43/5  rDev +15.1%

I really like this beer. It lives up to its name like very few beers.

RYE. BREAD.

It has the spiciness promised by a rye-based brew and the malt and yeasts and general 'breadiness' is, if you like malt, yeast and breadiness, wonderful. The beer is not perfect. Mine was a bit too hot. Nothing a little tempering wouldn't hurt.

I've put my (3) to sleep for a few months.

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

4.13/5  rDev +7.3%

I've had this on tap a few times at the Bruery. I picked up a bottle yesterday to drink with a hearty dinner.

Appearance: Ruddy brown with a huge foamy head. The head lingers a leaves behind great lacing.

Smell: Cinnamon and other spices, dried apple, prunes and raisins, caramel and bready yeast. A little bit of booziness behind it all.

Taste: Taste follows the smell. This is a robust beer and compliments a cold weather robust meal. As stated before, I've had the beer on tap at the Bruery a number of times but the beer really comes alive with the right food. We followed dinner up with a Chimay Grand Reserve and my wife and I both agreed that the Rugbrod was infinitely more enjoyable - and we are Chimay fans.

Mouthfeel: Assertive carbonation, dry yet sweet.

Drinkability: Very drinkable... maybe even gulpable.

Again, I think the key to this beer is to drink this beer with a hearty meal. It's wonderful.

4.18/5  rDev +8.6%

Bottled, poured into a large snifter. The pour was dark brown, with a massive, densely foamy tan head. Lots of lace in this one and the head was really persistent and active. The nose was spicy rye bread and yeast. Flavor was spicy rye, bitter, yeasty, with some caramel notes. A really interesting beer that i will certainly try again.

3.73/5  rDev -3.1%

Bottle purchased from Bruery on Black Tuesday.

I poured into a wide glass...

A- Poured a DEEP chocolate/amber. Nice tan head with great retention.

S- Very complex. Has a bitter smell, but I really cannot tell if it purely comes from the yeast. Lots of bready aromas.

T- Tart. Bready. Banana. Spices. Just so much comes from this. Tastes much deeper cold. As it warms it looses its character.

M/D- This, to me, drinks heavy. Really dominates all other flavors. Good..but is something that I cannot see drinking regularly. I have a couple of other bottles that I cannot wait to try at different times. This really seems like something that needs to be drunk at the right time/setting. Don't drink with a fish sandwich.

3.68/5  rDev -4.4%

Bottle allowed to warm a bit to bring out flavors.

A - Pours a dark caramel liquid with 1.5 cm brownish head.

S- mild caramel / burnt sugar smell. no real noticeable hop aroma.

T - Lots of caramel / burnt sugar flavors. Also can taste some roasted malts in the finish. Hops are mostly bittering, fairly mild.
A tad sweet, finishes sweet. Seems like it could use a bit more hops to balance. Not as much "rye" flavor as was expected.

M- nice mouth feel. Full bodied.

D - hmm, well, a bit to thick and unbalanced to be a quaffer. But that is not the point. But still as bit to sweet for my tastes to drink to much at any one time.

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

I can't claim to be very well read in the beer world, but it seems The Bruery has been getting a LOT of attention lately. Needless to say, I was excited to try this bottle, my first Bruery offering.

With the Yankees game on, I filled a standard pint glass from the 750ml champagne-style bottle. The pour was loaded with foam; I had to knock some off the glass 2-3 times before getting a nearly full pint (and my pour technique is pretty smooth, I think). Dark amber in color, with hues of red and orange. A massive rocky head of foam remained, left over from that eventful pour, and hardly dissipated as I sipped through the pint. If the high carbonation wasn't indicator enough of bottle conditioning (you know, aside from the fact "bottle-conditioned" is written right on the label), yeasty particulate matter is already beginning to settle at the bottom of the glass. The sediment and excessive carbonation are really putting a damper on my habit of swirling that glass in between sips; not only am I kicking up those remnant chunks, but also causing secondary foam eruptions, inflating the head. Oh well. Anyways, not much lacing as I drain the pint, but decent legs streak down the glass.

Big spicy nose on this one. The rye and other spice scents are upfront, and after four or five whiffs a roasted malty scent had also made itself apparent. I think the nose is doing most of the flavor work in this brew.

Like the scent, the taste is spice forward and upfront, almost peppery at times. Scratch that. Yes, definitely peppery at times. I still have some problems differentiating grain characteristics in beer, but the rye seems to work really well here, complimenting the other components of the brew. Less apparent but still present are some very soft malt notes. Hop flavors occasionally pop up at the back of the mouth, but they don't have much character.

The out-of-control carbonation really dominates the mouthfeel, almost stinging my tongue and cheeks. ASIDE: One day, a guy at the always excellent Brouwerij Lane in Greenpoint, Brooklyn was telling me how he preferred Bear Republic's Hop Rod Rye off the tap opposed to from a bottle, because the carbonation of the bottle really heightened the rye to a stingy, spicy, almost unpleasureable degree. That sort of heightening action seems to be happening here too. However, once I was at the bottom of the bottle and some of the carbonation had dissipated, a softer rye came out, working in better synergy with those softer malt flavors.

I couldn't say this was the most drinkable beer. After some of the carbonation wore off, it began to open up and enter the territory of awesomeness, but that first glass was like a machine gun spewing bubbles and spices, pricking every corner of my mouth. If you have rye-aficionado friends, or pals hooked on bottle-conditioned beers, most definitely recommend this. I am excited to give this one another try down the road, when I might suffer a little less of the sometimes overwhelming effects of bottle-conditioning.

3.95/5  rDev +2.6%

This beer pours a really nice reddish brown with a nice two finger head. Poured into a Unibroue Tulip glass after about an hour in the fridge to take it down to 50 or so degrees.

The nose is subtle, but nice hints of pumpernickle bread and sour cherry.

On the palate there is the same bready pumpernickle, sour berry (almost like currant), a little brown sugar and cocoa powder.

Finish is faint, but pleasent. All of the flavors hang around except perhaps the tart berry.

Overall a really nice beer, well balanced and enjoyable.

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

The murky medium-dark brown amber leaves a light brown creamy lackluster head with minimal lacing. The nose is a roasted caramel malt mixed with dark coffee-like malts.

My first taste impressions reminds me of a beefed up black orchard with slightly more dominant coffee malts. The Rye goes undetected to me. As it warms up, however, the alcohol becomes a little more prominent and a little bit of yeasty clove spice.

Mouthfeel is a bit sharp but medium bodied. (if that makes sense). This is a very enjoyable beer. I must admit that I did taint my palate with one or two chocolate covered almonds. I'll add that it actually blended well together. haha.

Rugbrød from The Bruery