Rugbrød - The Bruery

Rye Beer |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Halcyondays on 10-05-2009

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

3.67/5  rDev -4.7%

A- Dark brown with a huge bubbly head. This beer was a gusher when poured but not infected. A frothy 1/2 finger head constant at the top of the glass.

S- Rye spice and bready malts. Smells like rye bread. Raisins and plum also on the nose. Hints of alcohol as well

T- Dry spicy rye flavor up front, with raisin, toffee, and a pronounced bready flavor following (for some reason I think of cake batter as well). Alcohol and phenols as it warms, and gets better.

M- Very bubbly and distracting as far as carbonation is concerned. The beer is very dry all the way through.

D- At 8% the alcohol is well hidden. It's drinkable but not as enjoyable as I had hoped due to the carbonation. I hope to have better luck with more Bruery beers.

4.36/5  rDev +13.2%

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a Duvel tulip
Drank: 6/18/12

A - Dark amber, light tan 4 finger head. Lots of retention.
S - Fruity, sweet, sour yeast
T - Dark fruits, sour rye, bitter hops
M - A bit light in body, medium at best. Goes down fast!
O - One of my favorite Bruery releases and rye beers. Very well-balanced.

3.91/5  rDev +1.6%

A- Some dark sugar, raisin like notes along with some light spicy notes as well.

A- Dark brown, almost black with a creamy chocolate head that persist with mild lacing.

F- A rich sweet beer with malty notes along with some molasses and slightly burnt sugar. The belgian yeast is present with some light fruity flavors, but in the background. No perceptible bitterness.

M- High average carbonation helps to lift this off the tongue. There is lots of body here to fill out the mouthfeel.

O- A pleasant and interesting beer. Makes me think about brewing a clone attempt. I like the rich sugar flavors and lack of hot alcohol flavors. I don't really get much, if any, of the frequently described spice notes people usually attribute to rye.

4.42/5  rDev +14.8%

I really like this beer. It lives up to its name like very few beers.

RYE. BREAD.

It has the spiciness promised by a rye-based brew and the malt and yeasts and general 'breadiness' is, if you like malt, yeast and breadiness, wonderful. The beer is not perfect. Mine was a bit too hot. Nothing a little tempering wouldn't hurt.

I've put my (3) to sleep for a few months.

4.13/5  rDev +7.3%

I've had this on tap a few times at the Bruery. I picked up a bottle yesterday to drink with a hearty dinner.

Appearance: Ruddy brown with a huge foamy head. The head lingers a leaves behind great lacing.

Smell: Cinnamon and other spices, dried apple, prunes and raisins, caramel and bready yeast. A little bit of booziness behind it all.

Taste: Taste follows the smell. This is a robust beer and compliments a cold weather robust meal. As stated before, I've had the beer on tap at the Bruery a number of times but the beer really comes alive with the right food. We followed dinner up with a Chimay Grand Reserve and my wife and I both agreed that the Rugbrod was infinitely more enjoyable - and we are Chimay fans.

Mouthfeel: Assertive carbonation, dry yet sweet.

Drinkability: Very drinkable... maybe even gulpable.

Again, I think the key to this beer is to drink this beer with a hearty meal. It's wonderful.

4.18/5  rDev +8.6%

Bottled, poured into a large snifter. The pour was dark brown, with a massive, densely foamy tan head. Lots of lace in this one and the head was really persistent and active. The nose was spicy rye bread and yeast. Flavor was spicy rye, bitter, yeasty, with some caramel notes. A really interesting beer that i will certainly try again.

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

Bottle purchased from Bruery on Black Tuesday.

I poured into a wide glass...

A- Poured a DEEP chocolate/amber. Nice tan head with great retention.

S- Very complex. Has a bitter smell, but I really cannot tell if it purely comes from the yeast. Lots of bready aromas.

T- Tart. Bready. Banana. Spices. Just so much comes from this. Tastes much deeper cold. As it warms it looses its character.

M/D- This, to me, drinks heavy. Really dominates all other flavors. Good..but is something that I cannot see drinking regularly. I have a couple of other bottles that I cannot wait to try at different times. This really seems like something that needs to be drunk at the right time/setting. Don't drink with a fish sandwich.

3.7/5  rDev -3.9%

Bottle allowed to warm a bit to bring out flavors.

A - Pours a dark caramel liquid with 1.5 cm brownish head.

S- mild caramel / burnt sugar smell. no real noticeable hop aroma.

T - Lots of caramel / burnt sugar flavors. Also can taste some roasted malts in the finish. Hops are mostly bittering, fairly mild.
A tad sweet, finishes sweet. Seems like it could use a bit more hops to balance. Not as much "rye" flavor as was expected.

M- nice mouth feel. Full bodied.

D - hmm, well, a bit to thick and unbalanced to be a quaffer. But that is not the point. But still as bit to sweet for my tastes to drink to much at any one time.

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

3.92/5  rDev +1.8%

I can't claim to be very well read in the beer world, but it seems The Bruery has been getting a LOT of attention lately. Needless to say, I was excited to try this bottle, my first Bruery offering.

With the Yankees game on, I filled a standard pint glass from the 750ml champagne-style bottle. The pour was loaded with foam; I had to knock some off the glass 2-3 times before getting a nearly full pint (and my pour technique is pretty smooth, I think). Dark amber in color, with hues of red and orange. A massive rocky head of foam remained, left over from that eventful pour, and hardly dissipated as I sipped through the pint. If the high carbonation wasn't indicator enough of bottle conditioning (you know, aside from the fact "bottle-conditioned" is written right on the label), yeasty particulate matter is already beginning to settle at the bottom of the glass. The sediment and excessive carbonation are really putting a damper on my habit of swirling that glass in between sips; not only am I kicking up those remnant chunks, but also causing secondary foam eruptions, inflating the head. Oh well. Anyways, not much lacing as I drain the pint, but decent legs streak down the glass.

Big spicy nose on this one. The rye and other spice scents are upfront, and after four or five whiffs a roasted malty scent had also made itself apparent. I think the nose is doing most of the flavor work in this brew.

Like the scent, the taste is spice forward and upfront, almost peppery at times. Scratch that. Yes, definitely peppery at times. I still have some problems differentiating grain characteristics in beer, but the rye seems to work really well here, complimenting the other components of the brew. Less apparent but still present are some very soft malt notes. Hop flavors occasionally pop up at the back of the mouth, but they don't have much character.

The out-of-control carbonation really dominates the mouthfeel, almost stinging my tongue and cheeks. ASIDE: One day, a guy at the always excellent Brouwerij Lane in Greenpoint, Brooklyn was telling me how he preferred Bear Republic's Hop Rod Rye off the tap opposed to from a bottle, because the carbonation of the bottle really heightened the rye to a stingy, spicy, almost unpleasureable degree. That sort of heightening action seems to be happening here too. However, once I was at the bottom of the bottle and some of the carbonation had dissipated, a softer rye came out, working in better synergy with those softer malt flavors.

I couldn't say this was the most drinkable beer. After some of the carbonation wore off, it began to open up and enter the territory of awesomeness, but that first glass was like a machine gun spewing bubbles and spices, pricking every corner of my mouth. If you have rye-aficionado friends, or pals hooked on bottle-conditioned beers, most definitely recommend this. I am excited to give this one another try down the road, when I might suffer a little less of the sometimes overwhelming effects of bottle-conditioning.

Rugbrød from The Bruery