Mischief - The Bruery

Beer added by: Halcyondays on 10-05-2009

formerly known at Mischief #3
Reviews: 486 | Hads: 1,652
2.15/5  rDev -46.5%

Hazy gold with a four finger white head with decent retention and lacing. The aroma has citrus, melon, and pear. Has a very hoppy aroma.

The taste has citrus, melon, pear, and some pepper. This is a very hoppy tasting beer. Some sweetness, and quite a bit of bitterness. Not sure I care much for this.

Medium bodied, heavy carbonation, finishes dry. Overall pretty disappointing. Nothing about it stands out as extraordinary. I will pass on this in the future. (462 characters)

2.37/5  rDev -41%

750ml bottle. Pours clear yellow gold with a huge creamy white head that retains well and laces the glass. Becomes hazy as the end of the bottle approaches.

The aroma is funky yeast, rotten fruit and spicy hops. Weird.

The flavor is sweet malts with some melon and mint and soap that leads to a big spicy bitter finish. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, this just doesn't do it for me. I haven't liked any Belgian IPAs I've had. And this one adds some weird notes - rotten fruit, mint, soap and melon. (543 characters)

2.67/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

750ml bottle into a tulip. From notes.

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color with lots of carbonation. The head is three fingers high, and white in shade. I'm pretty impressed with both the retention and the lacing left on my glass. (3.75)

Smell: The first thing I notice is Belgian yeast - unfortunately, this yeast characteristic seems rudimentary yet overpowering. In particular, I pick up notes of phenols, bubblegum, and bread. Some of the advertised hoppiness appears pretty well - it's grassy, and even a bit citrusy. Having said that, the nose seems rather insipid despite everything else going on. (3)

Taste: This opens up with some generic Belgian yeast notes - it doesn't seem to integrate within the rest of the beer, either. Having said that, I do pick up notes of apple, pear, bubblegum, and candi sugar. The finish is gently grassy, displaying a hoppy touch (which happens to be my favorite feature). Hinting to what I said earlier, this beer seems really out of balance, which is sad considering how light (dinky?) the general flavor is. It's one of those beers I don't like, yet I can't truly explain why. Basically, it's sorely lacking in cohesion, refinement, and finesse. (2.5)

Mouthfeel: It wants to be crisp and dry, though it really isn't. The gentle hoppiness and strong carbonation creates that illusion, but at the end of the day, it's heavy and downright syrupy. A hoppy BSDA, syrupy and bulky? What the hell, guys! (2.25)

Overall: Well...the intentions are good. It wants to be a crisp, light, hoppy golden ale with a Belgian twist. And yet, it isn't such a thing. Not at all. It feels heavy, but tastes light - that's pretty much the worst of both worlds. Come to think of it, this isn't the first time I've been letdown by The Bruery... (2.5)

2.64/5: Go be mischievous somewhere else (1,820 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -33.3%

Served on-draught at the Bruery provisions store in Orange, California as part of a taster. Serving volume was 2 oz. At the time, I thought the serving temperature was entirely too warm, but they're The Bruery, so this can't be attributed to barstaff error. Reviewed from notes.

A: No head. Colour is a clear light gold. I'm unimpressed.

Sm: Pear, citrus ester hops, distinct ammonia (I shit you not), and maybe cream. The aroma is just downright repugnant, but fortunately is only moderate in strength.

T: Pear emerges dominant atop the weak barley foundation. Slight ammonia-evocative esters destroy the climax. Terribly executed for the style.

Mf: Smooth and wet, but not complementary of the flavour.

Dr: Decent drinkability, below average quality and above average ABV. (784 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

poured a cloudy orange yellow with two fingers of head into a snifter. has a somewhat sour pineapple bready nose with that belgian funk to it

It tastes like it smells with a strong alcohol presence and big carbonation. Not a big fan and would not seek out again. (263 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -30.1%

In a Bruery snifter at Brickstore Pub.

The bartender gave me a very nice pour. Massive white crown that took a while to settle, nice lacing, dull orange-yellow hue. It looked inviting.
Smelled of spicy/citrusy hops, grass, earth, rain, and rank Belgian esters...nothing wholly remarkable about it. Rank.
The first sip was pretty good. I thought I was really going to like it. It was very thirst quenching, spritzy. Downhill from there as it warmed up. There was a severe slightly spoiled grapefruit aspect. It actually started to irritate the roof of my mouth (and I like grapefruit, I've been loving me some Hopslam for the last couple weeks!). That and a dirty mustiness was all I could focus on. I like acidic, sour, and funk, but this was something else entirely. I chugged the last 1/3 to get the hell rid of it. Rank.

Oh, but the mouthfeel was brilliant. Go figure. (874 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -29.4%

750mL bottle to tulip.

A: An airy bright white head of 3 1/2 fingers is created on the pour and lasts for a very long time. The head pulls away from the glass becoming lumpy on the surface but begins to level out as it slowly deflates. Spotty clumps of lace adorn the glass. The body is amber in color, cloudy on the first pour and increases in cloudiness on each subsequent pour.

S: The aroma is very transformative with respect to its current temperature. Lots of grain with a caramel and toasted straw componenet. Heavily hopped. Grass forward with supporting notes of resiny pine woodiness and just the right amount of lemon and orange citrus to freshen up the aroma. The yeast contributes earth and must and brings in some unwanted rubbery phenol notes, which are initially low but become extremely abrasive the longer the bottle sits. By the last glass (now at room temperature), the plasticky phenols are intolerable. As high as a 4 then as low as a 1.

T: Again, constantly changing as the degrees rise. Starts out great, then turns for the worse. As high as a 4.5 then as low as a 2.5.

M: Medium-full body with a thick, creamy texture. Minerally with an average amount of carbonation. The flavor duration is long, lightly sweet throughout and is semi-dry on the finish.

D: The first time I had this beer, I thought it was fantastic. It was served cold, split among four friends and the beer never had a chance to warm. My next few experiences were on draft. Completely different beer and unimpressive. I thought the taplines may have been dirty so I found another bar serving it. Still...quite forgetable. This is a review from the bottle, consumed slowly throughout the night, by myself. I strongly recommend that anyone so inclined to drink Mischief finds themself a bottle and a few friends. Serve it cold and drink it quick. In my experience, this is the only way to enjoy this beer. (1,900 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

Lots of yeast in the aroma with a bit of funk. Okay body, but the beer is a little bland. Funk aroma does stand out in the flavour. Not a whole lot of fruit or flower in the taste. Maybe it is old, but I expected more lighter notes of citrus fruit than the heavy funk that i do get. (282 characters)

For the money I was expecting a bit more. Fairly hoppy for a Belgian style ale, but I just couldn't get into this one. For less money I'd rather have a Brooklyn Local 2 which I think is a far superior take on a Belgian style ale. Some of the other Bruery products I saw were ridiculously expensive, based on this one I will pass on the others. (343 characters)

From a bomber into a Sam Adams cup

A - A hazy, cloudy, bubbly, straw colored yellow, with a huge white head that wont go away

S - REEKS of Belgian yeast, sour, citrus, maybe some peach, pineapple? spice, bubblegum, phenol, slight alcohol, nothing mind blowing here, smells like any other belgian brew...

T - Tastes like it smells, only the flavors are all muddled together and I am unable to make a distinction between them. It's just so over powered by the yeast, I taste no malts, nor hops. Again, just tastes like any other belgian.

M - Overly carbonation, crisp, medium body, leaves a sour, numbing, coating on your tongue

O - I have been so tired of this style, that I have pretty much stayed clear of anything that says Belgian, on the label. I have tried SO many and still can't understand why ppl love it so much. The yeast is so overpowering, that you can't even make an assumptions of the type of malts/hops the brewer used. I've heard great things about The Bruery, and was hoping they would bring my love for belgian brews back to life. Sadly, Mischief did not do so... I also bought Saison Rue and Autumn Maple, I'm REALLY hoping they can make up for Mischiefs upset. (1,185 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -23.4%

Poured into a snifter.

4.0 A: Lightly hazed yellow orange color. Three fingers of foamy off-white head. Retention is good and a good portion sticks to the glass.

3.5 S: A dry-ish beer from the Bruery? Has the world gone mad? Dry with earthy and floral hops. Clove spiciness, hay, and light apple fruitiness.

3.0 T: Dry with a mild to moderate hop bitterness. Hay, earthy hops, clove spiciness. Really earthy overall with some slight apple orchard funk.

3.0 M: Lighter medium to medium body. A bit too much carbonation. Lacking any creaminess. This feels a lot like champagne.

2.5 D: Fairly mediocre overall. Too much bitterness and not enough maltiness. (658 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Not a bad beer. As I was drinking it I was wishing it was a Tripel. I like to try new beers so I can see all there is to offer but this was a little on the hoppy side to me. I know that's what it is supposed to be .Does had a nice crisp taste to it . (250 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -21.9%

Had this on tap at the Toronado. Super pale yellow hue. The pour yielded a thick white head that turned into some lacing. Strong, spiced, bubble come aroma. Man, you can smell that Belgian yeast good. Super smooth mouthfeel, kind of thick. Tastes of citrus and malt, almost a bit like lemon grass, which seems to dominate at times. This beer kind of confuses me. It's trying to achieve a few things all at once. It's got the Belgian aspect down, but then there's that citrus thing going on. Does this want the character of an American Pale Ale, too? Not even 1/4 of a way into it and I'm already wanting my next beer. It comes off a bit like a super thick saison. (663 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -21.4%

Pours golden with a beige head. Nose has herbal yeast, tropical fruits, peppery alcohol, grassy hops and caramel. Taste needs more hops. Lacks complexity. Light to medium body is way over carbonated. Not bad, but lacks any sort of depth. The Bruery can do much better. (268 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -21.1%

A: hazy apricot colored, one finger head with decent lacing

S: champagne, grapefruit, apples, cider

T: tartness, tropical fruit, tastes almost like a cider or a very mild sour. The finish is spicy and stays in the throat with the heat from the alcohol

M: frothy, sharp and crisp, a little too dry for my taste, like a sparkling wine or a champagne. Definitely feels like an 8.5% beer

D: Ok, an interesting (though perhaps in many ways failed) take on the Belgian. I liked the fruit. Not sure that I would get it again though (529 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Served from the 750ml bottle into a pint glass.

A - Light, hazy yellow/orange in color. Ample white head of 3-4 fingers tall and I was taking care to pour the beer in the glass without causing further head. Seemed heavily carbonated.

S - Smells of apple with a little black pepper and bread.

T - Taste is light and refreshing, but the heavy carbonation ruined it for me.

M - Light and crisp, but the heavy carbonation was a problem. I just couldn't get past this.

O - I appreciate the attempt. I think I would actually like this beer a lot more if it wasn't carbonated so heavily. (586 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -19.7%

A: Godlen pour, , medium head, looks fine for the style

S: Pepper, Lemonrind, Wet Dog, golden raisins, belgian yeast,.

T: Metallic hoppy Belgian style ale. Starts off a bit brittle and metallic, medium malty, then ends on a very dry bitter note. The hops don't linger, but neither does any malty sweetness.

M: Medium carbonation, a thick almost chalky mouthfeel. Rustic and bold Americanism.

O: Overall , I was a tad disappointed with this due to the bitterness at the close. To me it tasted like a Belgian style ale with the wrong style hops in it, a bit confused tasting stylistically. I wouldn't seek this out again. (624 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -18.9%

Got this as a Christmas present from Florida. From notes.

A - Poured a cloudy burnt orange colour with a really fluffy three finger white head. Good carbonation and beautiful thick lacing and a finger of retention.

S - Interesting aromas of noble hops, orange and candy.

T - Lot's of candied fruit, oranges. Very odd flavours of sweet fruits with very little hop character. Not an overly pleasant flavour with a harsh yeast note and lot's of candy sweetness.

M - Yeasty finish, good carbonation, medium body.

O/D - Didn't enjoy it thoroughly. Didn't hate it though. Not at all what I was expecting for something described as a 'hoppy Belgian golden ale. ' Not my favourite example of the style. Didn't finish the bottle and I probably won't revisit it. (757 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -17.7%

13oz weyerbacher tulip glass at Capone's with some very mild chicken wangs. Mischief pours the brightest straw yellow blond that I have seen in a long time, this is a bright looking beer. A frothy sticky head on top that sinks down but leaves a sheet of lace on the glass. Smells include alot of citrus with alot of lemon and some grapefruit. Come to think of it hops take up most of the smell including a floral scent. A small bready malt base and a Belgian yeast strain imparting some odd odors. Taste is a floral IPA with Belgian yeast. The hops take up room with grapefruit and floral notes. Im getting a huge amount of lemon. Some biscuit malt and a candi like vibe going. The feel is lighter than medium and the carb is quite pumped up. While the mouthfeel was great, the flavor just did not come together for me. Im all for this style but there are better ones out there, Belgian and American versions. (909 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -17.7%

750 mL bottle, pretty metallic blue label, etc. I don't think I've found a Bruery beer yet that I've enjoyed so I'm cautiously optimistic going into this.

Slow, careful pour produces a hazed golden orange with a small frothy white head that settles in a thick ring and sheets of sticky lacing. Musty, earthy aroma mild citrus hoppiness with underlying malty sweetness and light rubbing alcohol smell. Medium thick body, light carbonation, very soft smooth texture; not quite expected for this style. Body has strong malt and Belgian yeast background with a musty, citrus hop flavor that lingers throughout the finish. The flavor isn't very complex and the finish is a musty, earthy mess; not very pleasant. Not the worst Bruery beer I've had, but I'm having a hard time finishing this bottle and am not really enjoying this. Typical. (835 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -17.2%

Thanks to Mike for sending me out this one recently with my oude tart bottles.

Pours a cloudy golden-ish color with nice white foam. Attractive lacing and decent retention.

Smells of some bright hop aromatics initially, but these seem to fade as it warms. Semi-sweet apples and booze come out as it comes closer to room temp with some general belgian fruity esters and bread. Taste is similar, a little more yeasty (tons of sediment in this bottle towards the bottom). A little bready maltiness with some earth leads to a drying, biting, semi-medicinal spice note in the finish. Medium bodied, ample carbonation. I drank the whole 750mL myself but it got to be a bit of a chore towards the end. Interesting enough but not one of my favorites from the Bruery so far. Might be better on tap or with a fresher bottle after they continue to perfect the recipe. (860 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -16.2%

Strange fruit.

Fragrant with floral aromas and mango in the nose. Plenty of fruit and sourish flavors. Taste is both sweet and bitter. So many interesting flavors but a scratchy back of the throat aftertaste. Rather flat in the mouth. Acidic with crabapple and hint of citrus peel. Light mouth feel with not much malt apparent.

Interesting, but not very pleasant drinking. At the Wazee Supper Club in Denver. (410 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -15.9%

Pours a hazy yellow, a generous pour renders a lot of head that disipates to leave good cllogind mounds on the glass

Smelled a good hop presense when I opened the bottle, but in the glass it's far more estery/yeasty. Some light spices, biscuit malt and alittle hop

Taste is pretty non-descript. Mainly a slight acidic taste, biscuity malt, and that's about it

Nice and light on the mouthfeel

Drinks well

A decent offering, but better out there. Maybe I need a fresher one to get more hops? (494 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours a light layer of white head. Color is a hazed pale golden yellow.

Aroma: Spices and herbal hobs. Some yeast. Fairly hoppy for what I was expecting.

Taste: Herbal, floral hops. Spices, yeast, bready malts, and some coriander all show.

Mouthfeel: Dry and crisp. Light to medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends dry and spiced.

Overall, a pretty easy drinking golden ale. Straight forward. A bit above average. (433 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -14.7%

This beer pours a beautiful golden amber, with a pillowy white head that lasts and lasts and lasts. Hazy does not begin to describe the opacity. Pretty looking thing.

The nose is mild and slightly sweet. Theres an understated spiciness. The more i let it linger the more pleasant i find it.

The taste is somewhat muted. This is not meant to be a slight by any means, it works in this instance. Some musty yeastiness. It almost approaches As if its going to be sharp and spicy but never gets there. Its very accessible.

Very clean mouthfeel. A mellow crisp if you will. The more i dwell on it the more i like it (614 characters)

Mischief from The Bruery