2 Turtle Doves - The Bruery

2 Turtle Doves2 Turtle Doves

The Bruery visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  12.00% ABV

2 Turtle Doves is the second in the 12 Days/Years of Christmas Series. We decided to take our inspiration from the name and base the beer on the "turtle" candy, brewing it with cocoa nibs, toasted pecans, caramelized sugar and a lot of caramel malts. Somewhere between a Belgian-style Dark Strong Ale and an Imperial Porter, this beer is designed to take the journey through time until 12 Drummers Drumming.

(Beer added by: Overlord on 10-12-2009)
2.88/5  rDev -29.2%

Appearance: Pour looks like the muddy mississippi. Mocha with some dark veins; no real lace, but the head was huge. Looks a bit over-carbonated, this brewer seems to struggle with carbonation a bit.

Smell: Burnt, acidic malt and bread, alcohol, pecans, cocoa nibbs. Perhaps some fruit that is over-carimalized to the point it is just on the left side of burnt. Not really tempting, smells more like a random assortment of over-cooked flavors.

Taste: Sharp, acidic, burnt coffee edge with pecans, cocoa nibs, brown sugar, and alcohol. All stick out separately, none work together

Mouthfeel: Perhaps a bit over-carbonated for the style, not smooth, alcohol not hidden.

Drinkability: Low, the high ABV is not concealed, very aggressive flavors that do not compliment each other.

Not a big fan, but I did not like partridge in a pear tree either. Could have bought a few but at $20 a bottle I am glad I did not. I rate like it says, with 3.0 being average, and I found this to be below average.

craytonic, Dec 26, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -10.8%

Xmas beer. Merry xmas. Dark brown with tawny highlingts. A decent head, but not as long lasting as I am used to from this brewer. Smell is sweet and bready, but not the spice overdose I was anticipating. Fairly subdued actually. Taste is a smack of figgy, raisony sweetness. A bit of a char/ roasted taste comes through too. No bitterness, no cocoa, no espresso, no nuttiness. Again, a bit subdued for the xmas beer I was anticipating. Mouthfeel was great, but that was to be expected - that is the Bruey's strongest character. The drinkability is OK, but that sweetness limits it. It does mask the alcohol nicely. Well done, but I'd have prefered more spice and odd characteristics over a sweet high alcoholic beer. This was a bit much for one person to kick back.

Onibubba, Dec 26, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

750 poured into tulip glass.

A - Dark mahogany with a ridiculously think mocha head that eventually settles to a think tan head.

S - Chocolate, somewhat nutty, not picking up a lot of malt. Doesn't smell like a typical Belgian

T - A very good tasting beer, though again I'm getting hung up on the Belgian designation here. A nice chocolate flavor, some roast, this actually tastes like a tame Imperial Stout to me. Alcohol is well masked, slight sweetness in the finish. I'm not picking up any hops.

M - Thick mouthfee with a solid carbonation. Bit of a dichotomy but it works very well.

D - Very well balanced, since this does pack a punch in the ABV, 750 ml is more than enough in a sitting and is a beer I defiantly will o back to. Great tasting beer, not sure if I'm buying the Belgian Dark tag. The score is high on this beer because it looks and taste great, but if I were rating to style, I may be at a bit of loss,

BetterDarker, Dec 26, 2009

750 ml bottle. Served in a snifter, the beer pours dark brown with about an inch tan head. Head retention and lacing are both good. Aroma is dark fruit, toasted pecans, bittersweet chocolate and some burnt/charred malt. Taste is the same as the aroma, with the chocolate and burnt/charred malt flavors being the strongest. Mouthfeel/body is medium/full, it's a bit slick and creamy and is well carbonated. Drinkability is good, although I think this is definitely a sipping beer. I think this is a good overall brew, I'd like to see what a year or 2 of aging this beer would do to it.

bluejacket74, Dec 25, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -9.6%

Bottle poured into a wine glass. Deep and very dark brown, impossible to get any light through it. Nice fluffy tan head looks to be composed of fine carbonation. Aroma is cocoa and dark fruit esters with a milk chocolatey richness. Flavor starts out tasting like a reasonably good facsimile of a Belgian strong dark ale, with caramel sweetness, light roast, dark bread, and dark fruits. Then some of the complexities (and deficiencies) emerge with warmth. There's a nice nutty note and some molasses in there, but the finish is a bit acidic, which gets distracting. Nice smooth mouthfeel and a rich body.

illidurit, Dec 25, 2009

Christmas Eve 2009...

A - Mammoth dense rich medium tan color head with a batter-like top... The head is comprised of varying sized bubbles and seems to take on a life of its own... Stellar retention... A deep dark warm brown color... Carbonation can be stirred at the top of the glass as you tilt it back and forth... I'm unable to take my eyes off the head as it settles in a slightly hypnotic but beautiful manner...

S - Very strong on the Belgian yeast... Bready malts... Toasted sugared pecans... Raisins and assorted other dark fruits... There is a lot of potent scents at work here, but they don't seem to work together and end up being a slightly muttled mess...

T - Loads of complexity... The chocolaty cocoa comes through in spades on the palette... Roasted nuts... Hints of licorice and vanilla...

M - Medium to full bodied... Exceedingly smooth... Quite sophisticated... A tad creamy... A slight alcoholic heat lingers and morphs into a slightly chalky finish...

D - An impressive offering and wonderful introduction to the Bruery... Unfortunately the aroma keeps this from being a truly word class offering, but that's just nit picking on my part... The is a truly terrific beer that all BAs should seek out and enjoy...

philbe311, Dec 25, 2009

Thanks to Wisconsin for importing the Bruery for whatever weird reason, their bottles suddenly showed up a couple of weeks ago, so I grabbed a few I hadn't had before, including this good-sounding character.

Bomber split with the wife. Foamy, light tan head that necessitates a very gentle, slow pour. Black as any stout, no light leaking through even around the periphery. Smell is odd & interesting; the advertised chocolate, candied sugar, & a whiff of alcohol.

Two Turtle Doves has an odd (can I say that again?) combination of tastes. Chocolate is arching over the dome, being the first & most prevalent taste in the house. Underneath are all sorts of madness. The roast might be the second fiddle, with several others underneath. A hint, only a hint, of the nuttiness, thimbleful of vanilla, with a base of sweetness that holds the entire house of cards together, presumably the Belgian sugar.

I'm not sure this quite works. There are levels that have sublevels & trapdoors running through this beasty, & the alcohol is masterfully masked, but it doesn't quite come together as a coherent whole. The mouth is good, but a tiny bit overzealous on the carbonation.

Very, very good beer. I'd say this is an excellent candidate for the cellar, I suspect that these flavors would meld & smooth out with some time. Good thing I bought too. The other won't see the light of day until 2011.

maximum12, Dec 25, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -13.3%

Dark brown but not quite black with a cocoa colored head. it smells roasty and like cocoa but not really "belgian-style", a little sweet. The taste is odd, vinous, almost like Stone Russian stout but not quite, very strange. I did not taste the pecans at all, too bad. This is not a bad beer at all and the alcohol is well hidden until it warms up. Overall, this is not a good value at $12 per 750ml..but I'll still check for bruery beers once in awhile.

ArrogantB, Dec 25, 2009
3.65/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured from a bottle into a goblet. Beer is dark brown / black and cloudy. There is almost no head (even after kind of a rough pour). What little head is there is brown and tiny bubbles. Carbonation is low as is lacing. Looks OK.

Aroma is alcohol first, a woodsey and slight roast second.

The flavor is about what the aroma set me up to expect. Can definitely taste the alcohol, some spices, coffee in the back of the mouth and the aftertaste, overall the beer is pretty dry, wasn't expecting that. Roast is in the back there are no hops or real bitterness in this one.

This beer was OK. Drinkability moderate and mouthfeel was fine, medium body, plenty of flavors to keep me entertained.

drabmuh, Dec 24, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -1%

Received as part of a trade with SpdKilz, big thanks to Carleton. Cheers my friend!

Poured into a tulip as suggested on the back label. A deep mahogany body with reddish hues noted only when held directly in front of a bright lamp. Head measured just shy of two fingers at its peak and recedes slowly leaving a nice cap through out. The color of the head may best be compared to creamy chai tea. Thin but clingy lacing is noticed.

The aroma is much of what would be expected from the label. Syrupy sweetness and dark cherry smells are countered by a roasted slightly charred malt presence. The nuttiness provided by the toasted pecans meshes very well. Dark chocolate and whiffs of vanilla are more subtle though still easily appreciated.

Flavor is layered and moves very fast on the tongue almost as if it intends to confuse the taste buds. The initial sweetness and cherry characteristic noted in the smell carry over and hit the palate first. Almost immediately the flavor profile shifts as the richer, darker qualities appear. Dark roasted malt, coccoa nibs and hints of coffee smooth out the potentially overwhelming sweetness which leads off. Slight tart aftertaste is detected on the back of the tongue as the previous flavors linger long after the swallow. I am not certain whether the pecan flavor is mean to be very subtle or is simply overwhelmed as I am struggling to pick up a strong presence at all. I am more apt to say the nuttiness is partially masked by the more upfront roasted flavors ans serves merely as a compliment. As the final sips of the bottle remain in my glass a combination of the sweetness and tartness come more into play.

The body is lighter than expected and sits close to what I may describe as medium. Carbonation is adequate leaving a creamy texture. Oily feel is left on the tongue as the flavors seem to have embedded themselves bide their time.

Overall I am rather impressed with this offering. Flavors are layered masterfully, the alcohol is some what masked even in its young state. I imagine this will only smooth out and become all the more delightful in time. With out doubt this is a sipper, perfect to savor on a cool winter night. Enjoyable beverage and would not pass this one up given another opportunity. The Bruery has made quite the first impression, lets hope they keep it up.

Pairing note: while working on the third pour I picked up a Starbucks Espresso Truffle. The combination seems to compliment each other well.

kzoobrew, Dec 24, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -12%

Poured from 750mL bottle into a New Belgium globe glass. Beer was a dark brown, almost black color, with a one-finger head. Light carbonation and little lacing.

Aroma was chocolate, rum, cherries and other dark fruit.

Taste was chocolate, nuts, caramel, cherries and other dark fruits.

Definitely a good beer, but it seems a little young to me. Flavors didn't blend well together, which caused me to give a low drinkability score. I'd like to see how it changes and try again after a year or so.

drumrboy22, Dec 23, 2009

On-tap at The Bruery and elsewhere through the Christmas season,

A: Pours brown with a nice off-white head, good retention and lace, all around solid look.

S: Striking brown malt and dark nut smells.

T: Notes of brown sugar and some roasted malt. Pecans add a unique flavour, with some dark chocolate.

M: Smooth, full-bodied, creamy.

D: A nice beer, still a little young for me. The nuts tend to go a little astringent at times, but a minor quibble. I can't wait to see what this does in a year or 2.

Halcyondays, Dec 22, 2009

I had this brew last night after a day of Christmas shopping. I laughed at the word Belgian just now as I opened the brewer's page, because there was no hint of Belgian character at all in this one. I think they missed the mark if they were going for a Belgian-style ale.
I poured it into a tulip glass and it produced a finger worth of tan head that dissipated quickly but could easily be brought back to life with a swirl. The brew has a deep brown to black color.

The coco nibs' aroma was great and the toasted pecans made a slight showing. The aromas really did make this brew. Flavor wise it did remind me of eating a good piece of fudge. It wasn't overly sweet but not to bitter in the chocolate department. It had a medium feel in my mouth with ok carbonation.

I will say this is the best beer I have tried from them so far and I enjoy the bottle with my friend. One glass at a sitting would be enough for anyone I think

joepais, Dec 20, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured from a 750 into a chalice style glass.

Pours practically black with a little hint of translucence when held to the light. Very active thick foamy light brown head that stuck around for quite a while. Very good lacing.

Complex and dense aromas of dark chocolate, something nutty, and something else that I can't quite describe. Taken in at once it sort of reminds me of a fruitcake. I know, weird, but in a pleasant way.

This brew hits your mouth with a very heavy dark roasted flavor that wrestles with a some big chocolate tastes. There are so many other flavors going on too in lesser degrees, but they come together in a way that works. Other flavors are dark fruits, caramel, some toasted nut, and perhaps a little bit of raisin. It all finishes nicely leaving a bit of that cocoa in the throat with a little bit of warming. Nice.

The mouthfeel is a bit heavy and a little slick. The carbonation gives nice contrast to that slickness and they work together well.

I found this to be very enjoyable and loved the complexity. In the beginning it seemed like my glass could never be big enough to hold such a fine brew, but by the end of the glass, I was weighed down so much I thought that perhaps a glass or two at a time is enough. I've never had a beer that tasted like this and I very much enjoyed it. If you are a fan of the dark Belgian's or even a heavy stout, give this one a go. Very good!!

SIRIUS2, Dec 20, 2009
3.3/5  rDev -18.9%

A: Black yet opaque. 1-finger head with ok head retention.
S: Cider and cocoa. There is a fruity smell here that is pretty strange.
T: More cider. A bit of chocolate. I am not sure if I taste the pecans, but there is a Belgian like yeast flavor.
M: A bit hot and could really benefit from some age. Carbonation is decent, but the booze is not well hidden. A bit too sweet.
D: Not so good. This beer should have been aged before release. The flavors are good, but mostly hidden by the cider flavor (bi-product of high abv beers).
I did not find this beer as enjoyable as all the other Bruery beers I have tried. It is good, but not on the same level as their other brews. There are too many off flavors that I did not expect. I will revisit in about a year to see how things have turned out.

raverjames, Dec 20, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +2.7%

The names alone of beer from The Bruery sometimes intrigue me enough to try it. Strange but true.

A: Pleasant deep brown, with a honey brown head topping it. An assertive pour only offered a modest head, and I don't get a lot of stick, but fine otherwise.

S: Sweet malts, chocolate and I notice a little bit of breadiness. There are some rather tart fruit hints in there - like a very modest sour cherry or dark berry.

T + M + D: It has a very pleasant, rich chocolate flavour... it's got a sweetness to it, though, that almost pushes it into the realm of being 'fudgy' in some ways. A nice roasted malt character rolls in behind and continues through the finish. Nutty, but strangely, I wouldn't come forth with pecan right away... it's not a confusion with another sweet nut like cashew. Alcohol on the way down, going beyond warming to being slightly numbing. Body is rather full, with a little bit of a stickiness to it... not too incredibly thick, but holding it's own. This is something of a feel good beer, and certainly one to be sipped in moderation. The flavour can get a little intense with time, though that almost acts as a cue to keep from drinking it too quickly.

Proteus93, Dec 19, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

Reviewed on 11/1/2009. Bottle. Pours black with a thick, creamy tan head. Aroma of roasted nuts, roasted malt, and milk chocolate. Flavor is more chocolatey with a rich, roasted nutty malt finish. Robust palate with lots of complexity. Delicious and roasty! Yum!

LilBeerDoctor, Dec 19, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

A - Dark chestnut with a few fingers mocha head that settles to an oil slick looking patch and ring around the glass of foam.

S - Cacao nibs, rich milk chocolate, dark fruits and nuts.

T - Bitter chocolate, cacao nibs, rum soaked dark fruits, burnt caramel and toasted nuts.

M - Thick mouthfeel and slightly slick. Sweet yet dry from the bitter chocolate at the same time.

D - This one is misleading. It seems complex but basic at the same time. The 12%abv is noticeable but doesn't take away from any of the flavors. Very well balanced. Nice.

brewcrew76, Dec 19, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -1%

Pours black. Like, a really evil dude's soul. Small head.

Smells like some straight java and fruit and wine. Like, if you were ever at the coffee shop and the lady said that it tasted like Jamaican Mango Root and seven types of beans and you were like "yeah, sure, nothing tastes like that if don't get you drunk." Well this is if that actually got you drunk.

Tastes just as complicated, only maybe a little too complicated. Big coffee and juicy fruit on the front end that gives up to some high viscosity deep dark maple syrup. Neither end of this mad spectrum is bad in and of itself, but when juxtaposed the effect is a tiny bit offputting.

mynie, Dec 17, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a surprisingly dark brown; nearly black. Fluffy tan/brown head that retains briefly before settling into a thin film, and eventually into a tiny crown.

Nose stings the nostrils a bit - notes of chocolate and pecans. Taste brings the same notes, with some added complexity - dark caramel and roasted malts. Leave a significant bitter cocoa aftertaste that lingers. I would give this a 5, but I'm not really fond of dominatnt aftertastes. Mouthfeel is fairly medium bodied and noticeable moderate carbonation, but the general feeling is smooth. The alcohol is very well hidden - I can't say I ever really noticed it. Extremely impressive for a 12% brew.

This is an intense brew, which limits the drinkability - but if you're determined, you can down this fairly quickly. It took me about two and a half hours to down the whole bottle at a fairly leisurely pace.

Very interesting brew. My only detraction might be the significant aftertaste. Other than that, this is an excellent, challenging beer. Very reminiscient of a stout.

Mavajo, Dec 17, 2009
4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

The Bruery has been my fetish brewery for a while, and I must say they haven't produced anything that's even come close to disappointing me. They bring the funk and complexity every time, and I'm sure this will be no exception. I've had it in the fridge for a couple of weeks and dammit, I can no longer resist.

Appearance: Frothy, root beer-esque foam billows up out of the glass, then quickly and actively pops away, reducing to the thinnest layer of bubbles atop a deep, dark chocolate brown--almost black--brew. Before long, there is nothing at all left but the black liquid--no foam, and lacing is minimal, I'm guessing burned away by its rather hefty, but otherwise undetectable, 12% abv.

Smell:
Sour yeast hits the nose up front, I'm thinking Brettanomyces. A juicy, sour candy scent is quickly met by dark roasty and chocolaty notes. On the slightly funky smell of the yeast alone, I sense I'm going to like this beer; very inviting. As it warms, some burnt sugar and maple notes creep in as well, adding nuance and enticement. Still, the Brett sourness stays on top, adding a welcome balance to the more powerful roasty flavors that lie beneath each sip.

Taste:
Deep, dark chocolate maltiness hits the tongue first, leaving it feeling like it's been coated in that deep, dark Hershey's syrup from a can. As it rolls over the tongue, the sourness of the yeast awakens the taste buds, but it then lets the darker, more robust flavors do the talking. A roasted smokiness lingers behind the sweetness of the chocolate, and leaves behind a deep, dark, tarry (but good) taste of burnt molasses. A bit of grassy, piney hops can be detected, but is also far overshadowed by the chocolate and burnt-toast notes of the malt...again, in a good way. But there's no doubt this is a delicate sipper and nothing to be gulped. The complexity and nuance of its grain profile is definitely the strength of this beer.

Mouthfeel:
Light, understated carbonation quickly gives way to a syrupy, thick, chewy mouthfeel as it rolls over the tongue. Leaves you with a ponderous glaze of chocolate and char with deep levels of nuance.

Drinkability:
A wonderful dessert beer for the holidays, and surely one that would wow any crowd. The smell of the yeast really does great things for this beer, keeping it from being just a dark chocolate treat and making it into something more complex. That said, its complexity really doesn't need any help, and this is one that you could ponder long into the evening. It would be interesting to see where this goes over time, and to try the inevitable vertical tasting that this holiday-season series is setting up.

TaddyPorter, Dec 15, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured into 16oz wine glass
A - Pours very dark with thick head. Dissipates quickly leaving thin light brown head with strong lacing. No light shines through.

S - Roasted malt and strong alcohol. Hint of vanilla

T - Some coffee and heavy malts. Chocolate and caramel flavors dominate. Very sweet with the pecans quite evident.

M - Heavy, thick. Sticks with you.

D - Surprisingly drinkable considering the alcohol and thick coffee flavors

A great effort. I've got another bottle - have a feeling it won't make it to a vertical tasting in 10 years :)

Pfeifer, Dec 13, 2009
3.8/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into my Chimay goblet.

Appearance: Pours a dark, dark brown, with two fingers of slowly subsiding tan head. Decent lacing.

Smell: A mild, smooth nutty-roasted aroma dominates. Some chocolate. A tart/sweet aroma in the background - some kind of fruit?

Taste: There's a sharp astringency/tart flavor that comes forth right away, but seems to dissipate a bit as the beer warms. Some burnt malts as well, but that as well fades with time. The dominate flavors are smooth, nutty, and roasted malts. The alcohol isn't really that noticeable, although the beer warms a little bit as it goes down. Though this is classified as a 'Belgian Strong Dark Ale', there's not much of the typical 'begian' flavor here. Overall the flavor is smooth, but not particularly bold. Everything seems a little bit subdued.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and creamy, and not overcarbonated like a lot of Belgians seem to be. Nice.

Drinkability: An enjoyable beer for sure, but I can't say it's one I would go out of my way for. I had no problem finishing the bottle, however. I'm looking forward to aging one for awhile, and seeing how it holds up. Good beer.

StarlightSeraph, Dec 13, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -9.6%

Decided to try this one on a whim...

A: Looks exceptional! Pitch black with a nice thick mocha colored head. The look gets me very excited to try it.

S: Can't get any strong scents no matter how hard I sniff. Very disappointing.

T: Kind of mediocre. Not bad, but no interesting flavors going around. Almost taste like a flavored water or something. Too much water in the brew.

M: Too much carbonation for my taste

D: This one goes down very easy. Mainly because it tastes like it contains a lot of water.

All in all, this is a kind of middle of the road brew. Nothing special about it. Maybe a good brew for someone trying to slowly convert over to craft brews from mainstreams.

steve8robin, Dec 13, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured into a chalice glass, it is very black with a modest tan head that does not last long, leaving a thin trace of lacing around the beer's perimeter. Actually, goes pretty flat after 15 minutes.

An intense sweet complex aroma with raisins, brown sugar, mollasses, coffee, dark chocolate, trace of horseblanket.

Well balanced, with elements of espresso, chocolate, nuts (almonds), citrus, sour cherries. It tastes like liquid fruit cake, which is appropriate for an Xmas beer. The alcohol is very present.

This is a winter sipper that will definitely give you a warming sensation. Due to the 12 percent alcohol, either sharing a bottle or ample spacing between glasses is highly recommended.

Beerenauslese, Dec 12, 2009