2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Partridge In A Pear Tree Barrel Aged - The Bruery

Partridge In A Pear Tree Barrel AgedPartridge In A Pear Tree Barrel Aged

The Bruery visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Halcyondays on 10-26-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 36 | Reviews: 22 | Show All Ratings:
Reviews by mothman:
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

4.7/5  rDev +11.6%

Shared this with some friends at the bottle share after the reserve society initiation.

Poured into my LA tulip. I have no idea why I didn't use my bruery snifter (I think that was filled with FW 13).

Pours 1/2 finger of off tan head. Fades to a ring and leaves some splattered lace. Color is a deep caramel brown.

Aroma: A lot like regular partridge, but the -bal aging is amazing. I like the oak and vanilla with the bourbon on top of all the other flavors that this beer already brings. It is sweet and malty with some nice dark fruits to it.

Taste: I seem to really enjoy this beer. The oak, bourbon, and vanilla really add a level of complexity to this beer and it is good with out the barrels. Cherries, plums, raisins, lots of malts, but balanced. One of the best quads I have had.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, rich, creamy, with a touch of heat. Medium to full bodied with a nice amount of carbonation. Very fine drinkablitly. Ends malty but pretty clean.

Overall, I want more of this beer. One of the best quads I have had. I seem to be in the minority on my score, but this beer is great. I can't wait for the vertical of the -bal aged series.

01-31-2010 00:17:20 | More by mothman

11-15-2011 02:30:37 | More by imperialking
Doodler

Colorado

2.45/5  rDev -41.8%

Bomber cracked open at Sir Chris' house. Wanted to post as I have seen lots of trade forums on this beer and while PIAPT is known to be below average as a beer, the barrel treatment made this version underwhelming X 2....

All the hype ended quickly on first taste. As mentioned, I have and have had the regular Partridge a few times, so I kind of knew what to expect. Didn't think it could get worse...

Sorry....but bleh...

Murky brown pour with little head. Raisiny aroma, with some apple notes. Strange fruits and caramel flavor. Weirdly off somewhere. Not tart or sour, but has some bite. Woody finish with some heat. Glad I didn't purchase or trade for this one...

01-22-2011 22:50:58 | More by Doodler
Thorpe429

4.25/5  rDev +1%

Thanks to nerd for sharing this at the post-Christmas tasting in Chicago. Served in my Cantillon tulip.

Pours brings a pretty dark brown beer with a thin layer of a tan head that settles into a pretty decent cap. The nose is really nice with quite a bit of smooth bourbon with a good amount of oak. Dark fruits abound and there is a slight touch of roast there as well. The taste isn't quite as good or complex, but it's nice with a bit of sweetness and boozy bourbon. Also some mild oak presence in the background. The feel is really nice and the barrel character has really integrated well. Really tasty and drinkable. I really hope regular Partridge is near to this. Thanks again, Mike.

01-05-2011 02:07:38 | More by Thorpe429
TurdFurgison

4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

I had this at a post-Christmas tasting in Chicago, courtesy of nerd (thanks Mike!). I've not yet had the original Partridge, having traded my bottle away when the offers became too good to ignore, but this BA version was nice.

It poured a dark murky brown with barely any foam. The bubbles were tan colored. Lots of bourbon in the aroma, sort of fruit caky in a way. Dark fruits like plums and figs, swimming in bourbon, also some vanilla notes, maybe from the barrel.

The bourbon is the strongest component of the taste, not seeming overbearing but definitely leading the charge. Molasses and caramel, bourbon and dark fruits. Very nice.

Full bodied with the carbonation on the light side. I could have returned to this happily if there weren't so many other high ABV things to try on this one night. If you like bourbon I recommend it.

01-01-2011 18:11:19 | More by TurdFurgison
BearsOnAcid

3.93/5  rDev -6.7%

Turbid brown/mahogany body with a khaki head that forms a collar around the beer. Huge nose of dates, glazed raisins and some bourbon. Stong dark fruits and apple juice/cider aroma is the most noticeable. Smooth vanilla, rich dark fruits, intense dark caramel, and chocolate up front on the taste. Not much bourbon but I pick up a little oak. Chocolate, spiced plums and raisins on the finish. Not too sweet for me but this is like a dessert beer. I definitely prefer this to the regular Partridge.

12-16-2010 04:08:15 | More by BearsOnAcid
waltonc

Colorado

3.23/5  rDev -23.3%

Pours a hazy apple cider brown with tan head. Lacing is retained several minutes after pouring. I noticed some rust around the mouth of the bottle. Not an inviting way to start the drink.

S: Sweet, boozy candied fruit and bourbon.

T: Very sweet dark fruit, raisins, apple pie, brown sugar, caramel, and bourbon.

M: Fairly thick, sticky, and medium carbonation.

D: Not the most drinkable of beers, but enjoyable to have one 8 ounce glass. An appropriate beer for the Christmas season. I realize it is heresy, but I enjoyed the non-barrel-aged version more than this one. This is just a bit over the top sweet for my taste. So cloying and sweet that this shouldn't be sold in 750 format. Just 12 ounces or less.

12-12-2010 00:40:22 | More by waltonc
mikeyv35

4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

Date: 09/22/2010
Glassware: Lucifer Snifter
Type: 750ml. Bottle

Thanks to goryshkewych for the opportunity to taste this gem. Unfortunately, we had a mishap w/ Fedex in transit, they must have tossed and kicked this box quite a bit! A great bit of carbonation was lost as a result, so I am going to be generous w/ my scores, as this beer was pretty good even for the lack of carbonation.

This beer poured a red mahoghany in color w/ only a skim off-white head that left little to no lacing on the glass. The nose was of deep dark fruits, tobacco, and a slight booziness. The taste replicated the nose, but w/ a finish of booze, tobacco, and a touch of charred malts. The mouthfeel was thin, a bit too thin for a quad, but the lack of carbonation from bad handling affected this. The drinkability was dangerous as the 11% ABV was about as well hidden as possible. I drank what was left of the bottle by Fedex w/ ease, but I was also feeling no pain at that point.

Overall, this brew was a disappointment due to Fedex's handling, but still a pretty good brew. Will seek this out again, as a bottle w/ proper carbonation should be tremendous! If stored properly this brew will last until the end of the 12 year vertical.

09-23-2010 04:43:06 | More by mikeyv35
illidurit

3.63/5  rDev -13.8%

750 mL bottle courtesy of Sam. Pours a rusty brown color with a tan head. Aroma of raisins and apple juice with a pruney note. Some crazy dark fruit stuff emanating here. Prune juice, caramel, chocolate, basically lots of complex residuals and esters in the flavor. There's a sort of odd tartness to it as well. Barrel isn't overt but you know it's there. Pretty cool beer, though it doesn't all mesh quite right.

09-19-2010 09:09:05 | More by illidurit
MasterSki

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

Thanks to pantanap for sharing this rarity. Served in a snifter glass.

A - Pours with a finger of tan foam that settles to some haze, a thick ring, and a few splotches of lace. Murky dark brown body. Much better looking than Barrel-Aged Autumn Maple.

S - Huge smell of bourbon barrels imparts tons of vanilla, coconut, and wood. There's a dark fruit and cherry malt backbone as well. It's pretty sweet, which I'm guessing is largely from the base quad, but that's about all I can get from the base beer. In any case, it's quite delicious.

T - The taste is more barrel-aged barleywine than quadrupel to me. Tons of burnt sugars, dark fruits, and sweet barrel influence. There's a bit of maple as well. This reminds me of 3 Floyds barrel-aged selections where you have no idea what the base beer was. Probably a 4.25, but I'll be generous.

M - Slight spritz but otherwise lower carbonation. Medium-heavy body that is very smooth. A touch of heat at the back end, which is unsurprising.

D - This was quite delicious. It's a shame so little of this beer was made, as it's quite successful. I had low expectations but this was a winner. Not quite as good as Rurik, but pretty close.

07-12-2010 21:31:40 | More by MasterSki
Sean9689

4.4/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

750mL bottle shared by my homie, Kan, into a CCB snifter. States "100% Barrel Aged" on the back, so I guess that confirms it. Yeah.

A - Dark browish/black, off-white/tan head, a fingers-worth of head which vanishes quickly. There's a thin cap that remains on top, some lacing.

S - Coconuts, burnt sugars, caramel, bourbon, oak.

T - Pretty much the same as the nose. I get the barrel-aged notes, but it works wonderfully with the base beer. Coconut, Quad, dark fruits. All meld together wonderful, this beer is wonderful.

M - Medium to full bodied, creamy, rich, smooth.

D - Better then I expected, excellent. Hopefully, I can find someone who has another bottle to try this one again in a year or so. I know it's super limited, but hey, I guess I can hope for the best? Damn good, a must-try.

07-11-2010 04:04:05 | More by Sean9689
jrallen34

4.3/5  rDev +2.1%

I drank this from a 22oz bottle into a Rochefort chalice.

The beer pours a medium brown with a hint of red to it. The head is a very light tan, only rises about half a finger and is gone right away. It leaves a light ring around the glass and light lacing.

The aroma is strong, complex, and awesome. It starts off very sweet with tons of vanilla and cherries.

The taste starts off really sweet with tons of vanilla and wood. It tastes good, but this is not a quad. Its more of an old ale to me.

The feel is good and easy to drink.

Overall, I enjoyed this, its sweet and balanced. Not a quad, nice to drink.

04-04-2010 01:55:40 | More by jrallen34