Chocolate Rain - The Bruery

Wants: 2,388
The Bruery visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  18.50% ABV

Beer added by: mikedashg on 10-28-2009

Black Tuesday with Vanilla Bean & Cocoa Nibs.

2011: 18.5% ABV
2012: 19.5% ABV
2013: 18.0% ABV
2014: 18.5% ABV
to view more.
Ratings: 2,115 | Reviews: 293
Reviews by apbaj:
4.99/5  rDev +9.9%

Chocolate Rain, 2013 vintage. Tasted July 5th, 2014.

APPEARANCE

Pours opaque black with tones of deep red. Initially there is almost no head, and the little there is disappears quickly. No lacing.

AROMA

It is baffling how complex the aroma is. At first I'm sucked into a whirlpool of dark chocolate, milk chocolate, and vanilla. Holy cow.

Once I recover, sweet ripe dates as well as red raisin greet my nose. I can also definitely smell the alcohol. There is a hint of wood somewhere in the back, and I perceive sweet bourbon somewhere in the distance. I'm overwhelmed with sweetness, sweetness, and more sweetness. Brown sugar, and sugar pie (a French Canadian specialty: brown sugar, cream, butter).

It doesn't take too long for fortified wine, port wine, madera and sherry to make their presence known, in no uncertain way. They are supported by a malty back bone.

As if it was not sweet enough, other desserts come to me after it warms up: chocolate cake, some sweet carrot cake, notes of cola, truffle, and caramel.

TASTE

It tastes almost as complex as the aroma. My first impression is all dark chocolate and vanilla, with a touch of espresso, truffle, and caramel. It is almost unbearable how good this is.

Sugar pie returns (caramelized cream and brown sugar) - you really have to try this one day to know what I'm talking about. I feel like I'm drinking fancy Swiss chocolate candies. A little note of cinnamon remains after the sip is gone.

I can actually taste the alcohol. However, it doesn't overpowers anything, it balances well with the other components. Eventually I spot a few extras that do their thing quietly in the background: amaretto, a touch of hazelnut, and almond.

Finally, I taste what's going on in the background: tobacco, leather, and a hint of fig.

I was a little surprised to find very little bourbon, wood, molasses and licorice, which are typically found abundantly in this type of beer. I suspect those qualities couldn't find a spotlight on this crowded stage. Btw this is not a flaw, just something unusual. The beer is already outstanding.

MOUTHFEEL

The carbonation is pretty low, and I stand in a world of warmth from the alcohol (not burning though). Curiously, it leaves in my mouth a prickly sensation, that faintly numbs my tongue and even the inside of my cheeks. I suspect the vanilla to be responsible.

I was expecting a very thick and oily beer, but no, surprisingly, its body leans on the light to medium side. Viscosity is average, and it is not very chewy. It is extremely pleasant, to be honest, it elevates the drinkability. Even more surprising, the finish is rather crisp for that style of beer. Perhaps aging it for a year and half has thinned it just right?

OVERALL

Lots of surprises with beer, especially with the mouth feel. The only flaw I found was the lack of head, which is a fairly minor one. For me this beer is nearly perfect, mature, and -excuse the language- fucking EPIC.

4.77/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

2014 batch

750 mL bottle to snifter

A: Cola-brown in color, not as oily-viscous as Black Tuesday - not sure if its the added ingredients or something with the process, but the viscosity is clearly reduced. A wispy, soda-like head dissipates and leaves almost no trace of lacing.

S: The added cocoa is prominent - smells like opening a box of chocolate truffles laced in booze. The molasses undertone that anchored Black Tuesday is replaced by sugary vanilla. Chocolate pie meets beer.

T: The flavors are less a confectionery treat and more beer-like, although it's a still a decadent sip. Easily parsed notes of vanilla and chocolate are balanced by oak, lots of booze and a touch of a leafy hops. Finishes long and sweet.

M: Rich and creamy, but not as oily and sticky as its Black Tuesday progenitor.

Just as decadent and delicious as Black Tuesday, but with the added ingredients slightly more drinkable.

4.92/5  rDev +8.4%

Wow. Wow wow wow.

All I can say after every sip was simply "wow."

This beer was incredible. Changed my whole perspective on what is possible with a beer. Overlord said it well when paired with ice cream, you'd make millions. Seriously, this is a beer of epic proportions, and one I'd trade two Black Tuesdays to have one bottle of this.

Appearance: Brown-black and flat as can be. I know it's cask and that's how it's supposed to be, but still thick and creamy as can be. No head whatsoever, but of little concern here.

Smell: Sweet Jesus. Bourbon, vanilla, milk chocolate, almost cookie-like sweetness on the back end, and just the slightest soy sauce, but not in a bad way. Probably from the bourbon. The senses have you brace for some huge bourbon notes, that's for sure.

Taste: Like a slap to the face and the only thing I can think of to compare it to is what it was like the first time I had a sour. My senses were so fooled. Bourbon is so, so mellow and accents the flavor perfectly, not too dominant in the least. Heavy vanilla and chocolate hit 1-2 punches like a dream. Finishes sweet and creamy, and all I can muster is a "wow."

Mouthfeel: The best beer I've ever had as far as creamy texture goes. Almost syrupy it's so silky. Oh my God I get shivers just thinking about how much I loved this beer. Carbonation might change this beer just a tad in both the good and bad direction, but it's of little matter here. Like drinking a liquid dream.

Drinkability: I have never had a beer like this. Never. A thing of beauty, a work of art, and a beast through and through. Would I want 22oz of it? Yes, yes I would. Just maybe not all at once. But at almost 20%, 22oz is like 11oz of Vodka.

Bravo. What a beer. My heart breaks a little every time I've thought of the fact that I may never have this beer again. Makes me want to buy cocoa nibs and vanilla beans and try and make my own out of my Black Tuesday. It's THAT good.

Absolutely amazing.

Got as part of a trade for a Sede Vacante from a local friend.

Very dark, almost no carbonation, super smooth. HUGE amounts of chocolate.

Not for everyone though, if you're not a fan of sweet heavy chocolates you won't like this one. Barely 'beer' at this point, but still amazing.

4.16/5  rDev -8.4%

Boom - Chocolate Rain. Huge shoutout to whomever decided to bring this to our tasting. I keep forgetting who brought what, dammit. Anyway, this was a big want of mine, and I'm grateful for not having to search the country for it. Pours a very deep brown color, not quite deep enough to be called black. Even an aggressive, straight down pour produced almost no head - a slight ring that fades to naught rather quickly. Possibly an effect of such a high alcohol content?

The aroma is one of the strongest and most poignant I've ever come across. It fills your nasal cavities long before you finish bringing the beer to your nose. Deep, deep vanilla aromas; dense and syrupy. A bourbon-like alcohol character is strong and robust up front, almost burning the insides of my nose. The bourbon is settled down a bit and held in check by a delicate chocolate that emerges; sweet, milky, and creamy through and through. All of these aromas only intensify as the beer warms up. The bourbon burns more, the malts get sweeter, the vanilla gets more dense. The harshness, the sweetness, the sheer dominance of the nose is quite intimidating - but hey, I would expect nothing less from a 19.5% ABV stout that was this highly acclaimed, right?

The first thing that my taste receptors send to my brain from the moment this beer touches my tongue is, "holy fucking sweet!" The sweetness is very high on this one, right out of the gate - honestly, just a tad overboard. The flavors, however, are very, very nice; baked brown sugar, bourbon soaked licorice and mild dark fruit, heavy vanilla beans, and lots of light, cocoa undertones. There is a solid oak and wood characteristic, front to back as well. As anyone would expect, this one gets much boozier as it warms up - starting off as a bourbon heat, it turns into a hotter bourbon heat accompanied by a slightly phenol or rubbing alcohol kind of heat.

The more and more I drink this, the more and more the vanilla-bourbon flavors stand out to me as the most dominant. The aftertaste is controlled by some light cocoa flavors that are sadly overshadowed by heavy booze. The sweetness also lasts long into the aftertaste, like a boulder rolling down a hill that is very hard to stop. Near the tail end of this beer, the alcohol is much more dominant and it actually helps keep the sweetness more in check. Slick, sticky, slightly thick mouth feel with super low carbonation.

Super glad I got to try this one - my 6 oz. pour was perfect - I would imagine that any more than this would be too much. The flavors were awesome, but there were two main things holding this one back from being a top 10 beer for me: it was a bit too sweet, and it was a touch too boozy and hot, especially as the beer warmed up. I guess that's to be expected from a 19.5% ABV beer, right? So maybe I'm being too harsh. But the beer was still damn good and the flavors were on point. Overall, if this were taken down on the ABV level and the sweetness was controlled a little better, it would easily be a top 10 contender.

4.79/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had 13 and 15 back to back. Both are awesome, but aging definitely added some flavor.

4.7/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to bman1113vr for sharing this bottle. Not sure I was going to get to try this beer.

The beer pours a dark brown to black color with no real head. There are a few dark brown bubbles. A very nice looking stout.

The aroma is awesome. I get a lot of chocolate, bourbon and oak notes, as well as vanilla and maple from the barrel aging. The mix of bourbon and chocolate in the aroma works perfectly. The beer smells about like I expected it to and it is very nice.

The flavor is more of the same and is also great. I get a lot of boozy chocolate as well as a lot of bourbon, oak, vanilla and maple. Even though the beer is pretty boozy, it is still very easy to drink. The barrel aging has done great things to the base stout, imparting several different flavors that all meld very well together.

Low carbonation and thick, creamy mouthfeel.

Very glad I got to try this one and hope I get to try it again.

4.09/5  rDev -9.9%

750mL bottle, courtesy of daryk77 - cheers man, as always. Shared as we watched the end of the presidential election festivities.

Poured into a goblet. Black as pitch, slightly chestnut when held to the light, with a thin off white head that recedes into a thick, but substantial ring.

Nose is very sweet: coffee, cream, booze, vanilla, bourbon, chocolate, light burnt sugar. You can smell the weight on this.

Very tasty indeed, "rich" is an understatement. Boozy? At a hair under 20% of course it will be. However, I did find the sweetness and the booze more pronounced than the Tuesday. Vanilla and sugar quite prominent, though the other flavors are certainly there. Don't get me wrong, this is a damned tasty beer, but I give the edge to the Tuesday. Syrupy, velvety feel, with enough carbonation to keep the sweetness at bay.

Very enjoyable beer, definitely worth a second look if I ever come across it again.

4.13/5  rDev -9%

Had 2 bottles. Finally just couldn't wait anymore and had to crack one open. Pours dark black, with zero head, zero bubbles at all. The smell is way too hot. Loads of alcohol, as well as chocolate, roasts, vanilla, and a bit of bourbon. Taste is sweet from the vanilla. Not as much chocolate flavor as Black Tuesday, and also extremely hot. Just too much booze. However, once you get pass the booziness, it is blended nicely. Mellow chocolate, sweet vanilla, and balanced bourbon make the flavor have a lot to look forward to. Mouthfeel, once again, just overrun with booziness. Full, and creamy, but the booze is just too much. Overall, I gave this a 4.5 based on how I think this will develop. I'm going to wait at least 2 years to open my 2nd bottle, and I think this will be amazing once the booziness fades. At the moment, I prefer Black Tuesday over Chocolate Rain, but that could change with some age.

4.79/5  rDev +5.5%

Bottle (2009)

The Bruery
Orange, CA

(Aged for 2+ years)

The body of the beer is near black throughout, with very dark brown edges, and a very thin dark brown head. The beer leaves thin, wispy, specks of stick to the glass.

The aroma of the rich, dark chocolates is simply divine. Roasted malt, bourbon, and a hint of coffee complement the chocolate as well, but this is a chocolate lover's dream in a glass. There's also perhaps a bit of earthy vanilla and sweet cream. The aroma is rich, decadent, and incredible. It doesn't get much better, if at all.

The flavor is rich and transformed--a much different beer than Black Tuesday. The rich, earthy, bittersweet flavors of chocolate come through first and foremost, alongside barrel/bourbon character, vanilla, and whipped cream. There's a presence of alcohol warmth but it's not at all distracting and small in accordance with the beer's ABV.

Full bodied with low to moderate carbonation. A wonderful dessert sipper. Decadent.

Incredible, though I prefer Black Tuesday.

Review #1000. Thought long and hard since October, the first time I had this, as to whether I could really give this kind of review after only having 4oz of it. So I drank it again at the RS party, bumping my total up to about a grand total of 10oz through roughly five different tastings.

Anyways, jeez, not pitch black, the brown chocolate current running through it, not a big head to it, its not supposed to. Why everyone thinks a beer can't have a perfect appearance unless it has massive carbonation leading to a 2" head and tons of lace clinging to the glass. . . (well actually this did cling decently). If it makes you feel better to get some visual stimulation, swirl it a little, it'll do what you want. Massive chocolate aroma, bourbon, vanilla.

Taste, I picture a crack fiend with a lighter and spoon, melting dark chocolate in the spoon and dropping it into the beer. Lots of vanilla come out with this one, everything is huge, except ironically, the alcohol. Bourbon, vanilla and chocolate pretty much bigger than an any other example I can think of. Wood tannin meld, very under the radar. Viscosity is not through the roof, just right. Such a warming feel to the alcohol, soaked up with the chocolate. Had many beers 1/3 the abv that come across with more heat and less enjoyable because of it.

I would guess there might be multiple sources of high end chocolate going into a high end beer here (cocoa, dark chocolate, white chocolate etc. . . ). Can't think of any beer that is bottled that rivals it. Really, I've come to the conclusion that the greatest beers in the world are just all the different varieties of Pliny and Black Tuesday.

4.81/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2012 vintage bottled, served in fff teku at the abs ballers meeting.

Obsidian with ruby tint, no lasting head or lacing, strong alcohol legs.

Strongest vanilla I have gotten off a beer on the nose, boozy, chocolate. The vanilla hit quickly and bites hard but lets go long enough to enjoy the roasted coco, oak, sweet molasses notes. Very sweet, pretty boozy, but very pleasant bourbon heat.

Full body, low carbonation, chewy, warm etoh.

Amazing beer but still needs a year or two longer on that vintage for the vanilla to mellow, I was bummed the coco nibs didnt shine through as much, but still, this is liquid gold, eould love to try older years!

4.65/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Bottle at NWI Tasting group Black Tuesday 09-12 and Variants tasting

A - Chocolate brown with a thin looking body. There was a very small chocolate head that faded quickly

S - Milk and dark chocolate, light vanilla, caramel and bourbon. Not as boozy in the nose as Grey Monday

T - This is a delicious beer. There is sweet vanilla, light oak, caramel, sweet bourbon. This sweetness is balanced perfectly with the bitterness of the dark chocolate cacao nibs. Finish has slight cinnamon spice, heat from the bourbon and light oak

MF - This is a super thick and velvety smooth beer. It is really thick and coats the tongue. The finish is slightly astringent

O - This is really a good beer that I liked more than BT and Grey Monday. It has such a great flavor profile that is balanced between the dark chocolate and the sweetness of BT. Plus, it was super creamy and smooth when drinking. This one was definitely worth the hype

4.76/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Re-review of fresh 2015 vintage.

Thought 2014 was fantastic, but this was on another level - one of the greatest stouts I've had.

Tons of fresh vanilla bean, marshmallow, and chocolate - but it is not too sweet, a lot of booze and whiskey. Has an old ale quality I think is in all the huge bruery stouts - toffee, caramel, oak barrel. Follows suit on the palate - explosive strong flavor, rich boozy sweetness, tons of vanilla bean, chocolate and whiskey.

Phenomenal beer, the adjuncts add flavor and some sweetness but do not cover up the base whiskey stout. The vanilla and marshmallow integrate naturally with the existing bourbon sweetness. Best BT variation.

4.55/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2014 vintage acquired from Pdmoore (thanks)!
A- pours a not quite, black with a mahogany shimmer in the light. Not much head and it fades off pretty quickly
S- booze, caramel, chocolate, toffee, some dark fruit. Really nice
T- Wow! Incredibly complex. You get some sweet acidity from fruits on the first part of the sip before the booze and toffee comes in followed by caramel and chocolate and more booze. Really sweet.
M- A bit pricklier than I would of thought. Rounds out into a medium, creamy feel. Not quite cloyingly sweet, but very close.
O- this beer was well worth the wait. Definite sipper and oh so tasty.

4.53/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Was a bit concerned given the chocolate content, but was pleasantly surprised. Noticeable chocolate on the nose, but on the palate it seemed to meld together almost perfectly. Rich and full-bodied, with a pleasant creaminess. Coffee, black fruit notes, chocolate (duh!). The alcohol is noticeable, but considering it is 18% it is surprisingly contained. Really good stuff!

4.35/5  rDev -4.2%

Thanks to Rtaps for sharing this 2012 bottle
Pitch black. Viscous and pretty oily looking. Short dark khaki head. Pretty low retention and spotty lacing.

Nose is nice but obviously young. A bit boozy but I like a bit of booziness. Rich chocolate and vanilla with a touch of bourbon.

Flavor IMO is fantastic. Huge and rich. Vanilla and chocolate are nice although it needs to age to perfection. Very deep dark sweet but not overly sweet.

Mouth is very full bodied. Low carbonation.

Overall this beer is fantastic and will be amazing with about two years age IMO. Can't wait to revisit.

4.27/5  rDev -5.9%

Shared at a tasting 2/19/11 by someone who doesn't wish to be acknowledged. 4oz. pour from a 750ml bottle into a brandy snifter. Reviewed from notes.

A: Standard pour yields a thin mocha colored ring that fades out quickly. Beer is a viscous, oily black. Great legs but little to no lacing and no cling. The lack of a head hurts this one a bit but considering the glassware, the score is adjusted a bit.

S: Nose is bold chocolate and vanilla with a slight hint of roasted malt in the background. Very aromatic and in-your-face booziness that covers the subtleties in this one. Still, molasses, honey, and sweet over-ripe plums are detectable. Much more enjoyable than its little brother Black Tuesday.

T: Chocolate, honey, molasses, vanilla, and everything else dark and sweet in the world. Sweet booze hides and plays around in the background. Fudge, chocolate, and vanilla in the end with some sprinkles of roasted malt bitterness thrown in for balance. Finish is prunes and plum with a dark fruit and chocolate aftertaste. I feel like I'm eating a piece of liquified chocolate and vanilla cake and washing it down with bourbon barrels. Over-the-top decadent and delicious.

M: Full bodied as you'll ever come across. Slick, oily, and filmy in the mouth. Heat comes forward a good amount in this one. Slight roughness going down. Sticky finish with a lingering aftertaste. Enjoyable overall but I could reall do without the big booziness if the Bruery would just turn this one down a notch or two.

D: For anyone asking if there's a big difference between Black Tuesday and this beer, the answer is a resounding YES. More complex and even more importantly, much less boozy so I can actually enjoy the subtlety that lies within this dark mystery of a beer. I wanted to hate this one, given my feeling on Black Tuesday but in the end, I just can't. Very well done.

4.51/5  rDev -0.7%

Do I even need to bother describing the appearance? Pitch black with a very minimal cream head.

This thing reeks of booze and vanilla bean, with chocolate back behind it -- I love it! Taste is the same. Actually reminds me a good bit of World Wide Stout. Big chocolate, licorice, vanilla, "bourbon" (and all that entails) and booze. I keep saying "booze" -- but don't let that fool you. Also, there's some roast on the palate, which I'm extremely sensitive too -- but it's minimal and quickly overwhelmed by the rest of the beer. This is imminently drinkable and smooth, with a nice warming burn as it goes down. Mouthfeel is syrupy, but not overly thick.

I love it, but I think I loved Black Tuesday even more. And quite frankly, I feel like World Wide Stout scratches the same itch pretty well...and WWS is way more readily available.

3.65/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.25

...as already mentioned, too sweet for its own good.

4.59/5  rDev +1.1%

Taster at The Bruery Annaversary party. Poured into a 5pz taster glass. Reviewed from notes.

Thin tan head dissipated fast. Left a ring of head. Super dark brown in color.

Aroma is amazing. Sweet malty caramel, dark fruits, figs, raisins, tons of chocolate and a bit of roastyness.

Tastes just as it smells. It's a little boost but expected at 18%. Bourbon, chocolate, dark fruits and caramel. Warming down the throat.

Mouthfeel is not as malty as the above taste discripters would suggest. Smooth but a little high on the carb.

Overall a fantastic beer glad I had it and with their up in production of these beers hopefully I can get some of this next year.

4.59/5  rDev +1.1%

Cask.

Pours...well...not totally black even. Dark brown and slightly translucent when it's in small amounts.

The aroma is really heavenly. There's a lot of Black Tuesday in there, which is my favorite smell. Bourbon is big, and chocolate rains down - or up - at your nose like Tay Zonday's legendary lyrics attacking your eardrums. A little anise and molasses rounds it out.

The flavor is excellent. A bit of a boozy, bourbony sledgehammer crammed up your cramhole, but there's a lot of awesomeness going on. First of all, delicious Black Tuesday is big. I feel like there's maybe even more bourbon here. Plus -bal and rich milk and dark chocolate, molasses, roast, and sweet caramel.

Thick and intense on the palate, with low carbonation and a fair amount of booziness.

Overall, this is awesome, and I'm not just saying that because I enjoy sucking down rare DONGs so much. Drinkable for the amount you should be drinking.

4.04/5  rDev -11%

750 mL bottle poured into a taster. Batch 2. Reviewed from notes.

Appearance - Dark brown, not quite black. Ruby flecks in the light. Mocha head that's gone pretty quickly.

Smell - Chocolate, bourbon, vanilla, and oak. Nice, until the booze. Wow is it boozy.

Taste - Sugar. Sugar again. Bourbon. Chocolate, then sugar and sugar again. Alcohol rounds it out, I guess. I get the chocolate, but there's no other evidence of a stout in there. Still, it tastes pretty damn good.

Mouthfeel - Sugary sweet. Diabetes in a bottle. 3 or 4 oz. is the most I could drink of this. Excruciatingly boozy.

Overall - It's so over the top. Better than BT, but only because of the chocolate flavor. There's barely a stout back there behind the barrel and chocolate.

Pure liquid gold

4.09/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Chocolate Rain mean 48 Jersey is dark brown with almost no head to speak.

this smell is so loaded with alcohol burns my nose hairsthere's a bit of saleI'm heading dark chocolate

its so rich its like drinking chocolate boobsvery sweet desert lifethe heavy bourbon vanilla flavormeeting with alcohol add more chocolate and then even more time chocolate a little more vanilla

mouthfeel is tremendously sickvery warm and very on Boise.

highly recommend this second Street.

to view more.