Chocolate Rain - The Bruery

Chocolate RainChocolate Rain

Wants: 2,006
The Bruery visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  18.50% ABV

Black Tuesday with Vanilla Bean & Cocoa Nibs.

2011: 18.5% ABV
2012: 19.5% ABV
2013: 18.0% ABV
2014: 18.5% ABV

(Beer added by: mikedashg on 10-28-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by russwbeck:
russwbeck

4.9/5  rDev +8.2%

Shared side by side with 2011 Black Tuesday with nhindian

A: Brown pour, amazing how less dark this is than fresh Black Tuesday. Extremely noticeable change in color. Neither have a very distinct head. What head there is is light brown and leaves no lacing or retention. BT gets the nod in terms of appearance.

S: The smell is very boozy and sweet, but also extremely complex. Booze and bourbon mix with chocolate, vanilla, and molasses to create one of the biggest smells I've ever encountered in beer. I must say I am worried about the booziness and sweetness here. Hoping the taste is balanced and not too over the top. Going to call this one a push between BT and CR.

T: All I can say is wow. I graded BT before taking a sip of CR and fully developed an opinion on it first. I must say, this is better. All around the taste simply blows me away. This has to be the best thought out beer I've ever had the privilege of tasting. The way the tastes develop on my palate simply cannot be put into words. The initial taste is boozy, offensively so, but once you become accustomed to it, the booze becomes an afterthought. As soon as the booze subsides, a TON of vanilla, bourbon, oak, chocolate, and dark fruits simply attack the palate. Roasted malts, warming alcohol, and dark fruits finish the beer off perfectly. The complexity and balance is unmatched in craft beer and honestly until you taste it, you could not possibly understand how a beer could encompass so much with each and every sip. A 5 if I've ever had one.

MF: Extremely similar to BT. Not quite as thick as I was expecting, but by no means is it light. It is not syrupy or creamy like other big stouts. The ABV will catch up with you before too long.

O: Overall this was the best beer I've ever had. I'm aware it might not be the highest rated beer on this site, but this was simply the cream of the crop. Blew me away. The drinkability is not terribly high, as the sweetness and extreme ABV are not easy to deal with, but this category is now considered 'Overall,' and overall it is a 5.

11-22-2011 05:24:14 | More by russwbeck

Lehighace06

07-06-2014 21:12:49 | More by Lehighace06
Brew_Bear

4.99/5  rDev +10.2%

Chocolate Rain, 2013 vintage. Tasted July 5th, 2014.

APPEARANCE

Pours opaque black with tones of deep red. Initially there is almost no head, and the little there is disappears quickly. No lacing.

AROMA

It is baffling how complex the aroma is. At first I'm sucked into a whirlpool of dark chocolate, milk chocolate, and vanilla. Holy cow.

Once I recover, sweet ripe dates as well as red raisin greet my nose. I can also definitely smell the alcohol. There is a hint of wood somewhere in the back, and I perceive sweet bourbon somewhere in the distance. I'm overwhelmed with sweetness, sweetness, and more sweetness. Brown sugar, and sugar pie (a French Canadian specialty: brown sugar, cream, butter).

It doesn't take too long for fortified wine, port wine, madera and sherry to make their presence known, in no uncertain way. They are supported by a malty back bone.

As if it was not sweet enough, other desserts come to me after it warms up: chocolate cake, some sweet carrot cake, notes of cola, truffle, and caramel.

TASTE

It tastes almost as complex as the aroma. My first impression is all dark chocolate and vanilla, with a touch of espresso, truffle, and caramel. It is almost unbearable how good this is.

Sugar pie returns (caramelized cream and brown sugar) - you really have to try this one day to know what I'm talking about. I feel like I'm drinking fancy Swiss chocolate candies. A little note of cinnamon remains after the sip is gone.

I can actually taste the alcohol. However, it doesn't overpowers anything, it balances well with the other components. Eventually I spot a few extras that do their thing quietly in the background: amaretto, a touch of hazelnut, and almond.

Finally, I taste what's going on in the background: tobacco, leather, and a hint of fig.

I was a little surprised to find very little bourbon, wood, molasses and licorice, which are typically found abundantly in this type of beer. I suspect those qualities couldn't find a spotlight on this crowded stage. Btw this is not a flaw, just something unusual. The beer is already outstanding.

MOUTHFEEL

The carbonation is pretty low, and I stand in a world of warmth from the alcohol (not burning though). Curiously, it leaves in my mouth a prickly sensation, that faintly numbs my tongue and even the inside of my cheeks. I suspect the vanilla to be responsible.

I was expecting a very thick and oily beer, but no, surprisingly, its body leans on the light to medium side. Viscosity is average, and it is not very chewy. It is extremely pleasant, to be honest, it elevates the drinkability. Even more surprising, the finish is rather crisp for that style of beer. Perhaps aging it for a year and half has thinned it just right?

OVERALL

Lots of surprises with beer, especially with the mouth feel. The only flaw I found was the lack of head, which is a fairly minor one. For me this beer is nearly perfect, mature, and -excuse the language- fucking EPIC.

07-06-2014 19:15:09 | More by Brew_Bear

Furlinator

4.18/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

2014 vintage.

Pours opaque black. The 1/4 inch khaki head quickly disappears completely and leaves no lace.

The smell is of bourbon, dark chocolate, vanilla, pipe tobacco and maple syrup.

The taste is of dark chocolate, milk chocolate, dark malt, vanilla, molasses and bourbon.

The texture is heavy bodied, thick and slightly oily with low carbonation.

An 18.5% ABV sweet bourbon bomb. The chocolate, vanilla and molasses accents are pushing this one toward the 'too sweet' realm.

07-06-2014 04:27:44 | More by Furlinator