Chocolate Rain - The Bruery

Wants: 2,488
The Bruery visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  18.50% ABV

Beer added by: mikedashg on 10-28-2009

Black Tuesday with Vanilla Bean & Cocoa Nibs.

2011: 18.5% ABV
2012: 19.5% ABV
2013: 18.0% ABV
2014: 18.5% ABV
Reviews: 298 | Hads: 2,299
4.91/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance- much the same as lack Tuesday. Not as black as you might think, dark around the rim and doesn't appear super thick

Nose- straight vanilla, then some sweet milk chocolate then bourbon. Vanilla is really crazy strong, even for a 2012. Slight booze.

Taste: this is a dessert. Vanilla, chocolate and bourbon. Vanilla is still extremely prominent, then sweet chocolate whole bourbon and sweet oak is present throughout. Very rich and decadent, drink this by itself.

Overall: this is a liquid dessert, much like a port or brandy. Would be fantastic with a flour-less chocolate cake with rich vanilla icing. This is a fantastic beer, for sure, but it's so rich is a "this is my only beer tonight" kind of beer

4.91/5  rDev +11.1%

pouring it I was expecting it to have a thin mouthfeel, because that's the way it appeared as I poured. the smell was of vanilla and chocolate, and when tasted the mouthfeel was actually thicker than I had expected. right away tastes of chocolate and vanilla oak so good, and then a peculiar mapley finish as the liquid fades. This was truly a treat last night love this stuff would drink it all the time if I could.

4.91/5  rDev +11.1%

A: This is a really nice black beer with a minimal head.

S: Delicious taste of chocolate and also light caramel.

T: This beer has a great taste of delicious chocolate.

M: Magnificent, delicious syrupy. Top of the bill.

O: Really explodes in your mouth.

4.89/5  rDev +10.6%

I stumbled toward the entrance of The Bruery with bleary eyes and a grim countenance from the wanton ash billowing off the post apocalyptic 57 freeway. It had been a good hour since Overlord's pre preline Black Tuesday SUV tasting and the craft beer tremors were beginning to set in. "I'm thirsty, is all," I told myself, "I just need a few ounces of craft beer to tide me over. A few ounces will do the job." I knew that was only a half lie as I thought it. The only thing that could quench my perishing thirst was one specific beer, a pull from the cask of eternal life.

When I transcended the vestibule I walked briskly to the bar and forced a pained smile. I managed to choke out, "One refreshing glass of craft brew, please" before the woman noticed my involuntary convulsions. I knew what she'd say. She'd say exactly what they all say.

"Alcoholism is an inaccurate term," I responded preemptively. "It's just that I've got a tremendous thirst on all of a sudden, and I could use a draught of your delicious Chocolate Rain." At that moment I realized my face and freshly tailored shirt were covered in Barrel Aged Partridge in a Pear Tree from the tasting. I was just a bit too eager to drink that craft beer, it's not indicative of any sort of problem. She had noticed it too. "Look, I've had a bit of a rough journey here. As you can see, I slipped and fell in what is obviously mud just outside the façade and I could really use a glass of craft beer right now."
She hesitated briefly and then poured the elixir into a snifter and set it on the counter before me. I placed a solitary red ticket next to the glass to complete the exchange, and she picked it up with a look of indignation. I gave her another pained smile-half leer as I picked up my glass and said," Well, thank you for your hospitality, I'll be withdrawing to..." I was plagued by another involuntary convulsion and before I could finish my sentence, the glass had managed to find its way out of my hand and onto the floor. "You haven't properly dried your glassware," I cried, red-faced, "How is a craft beer connoisseur to enjoy a refreshing beverage if it slips out of his hand at the slightest turn?"

At that point a full on craft brew frenzy had taken hold of me. Nothing could stand between me and my craft brew as I grabbed one of the nearest champagne bottles that happened to be filled with Barrel Aged Autumn Maple and ripped the cap off with my teeth. I signaled, wild eyed, for a fresh glass, but was only met with a look of horror from the woman. "It doesn't matter," I cried "I've already reviewed this particular beer! I needn't adhere to my normal stringent reviewing standards in this instance!" I fell to my knees upon shards of broken glass and a pool of Chocolate Rain and proceeded to dump craft beer into my mouth faster than I could imbibe it. The mud (Barrel Aged Partridge) on my French cuffs was now joined by Barrel Aged Autumn Maple and my tears of joy. I greedily drained the entire bottle in a matter of minutes and the tremors finally subsided. "You see what I've been driven to? I only wanted a crisp glass of refreshing beer! What could possibly be the harm in that?!" At this point a small crowd had begun to gather around the ghastly scene. "Stop looking at me like I'm some sort of alcoholic! We're all of a like mind here. I'm just so terribly thirsty" I wailed, rising from my blood soaked knees. "Please, someone administer a dram of Chocolate Rain and hand me my notepad."

12 ounces consumed on 10/27/2009 in a snifter juxtaposed alongside Black Tuesday. The beer pours dead black and deader still, lost to some indifferent sun. A miniscule dark brown head pleads for clemency as it retreats into nothingness and night, into a blackness without depth or dimension. A swirl of the glass reveals the same legs I witness on Black Tuesday. It's a nice looking beer, grim and terrible in its ebony viscosity. Though, without carbonation it cannot fully reach the beauty of Black Tuesday.

The nose is brown sugar, dark cherries, grapes, plums, black licorice, anise, cocoa and bourbon. Strong vanilla notes radiate from the beer like light from a sun. The beer is sweet, with prominent dark chocolate and brown sugar.

The beer has lost balance and become more of a desert beer, but I can't argue with the final product. Alcohol is well hidden. I notice oak, barrel tannins, toffee, plums, dark cherries, and grapes. The sweetness reminds me of brown sugar. Blackstrap molasses is well integrated, and I again detect subtle black licorice notes. The finish is a satisfying recapitulation of all the aforementioned flavors with lingering notes of bourbon, vanilla, and dark chocolate. Full bodied with a silky, sticky, and viscous mouthfeel. The carbonation is low but fitting. This beer is decadent and delicious.

4.89/5  rDev +10.6%

Shared side by side with 2011 Black Tuesday with nhindian

A: Brown pour, amazing how less dark this is than fresh Black Tuesday. Extremely noticeable change in color. Neither have a very distinct head. What head there is is light brown and leaves no lacing or retention. BT gets the nod in terms of appearance.

S: The smell is very boozy and sweet, but also extremely complex. Booze and bourbon mix with chocolate, vanilla, and molasses to create one of the biggest smells I've ever encountered in beer. I must say I am worried about the booziness and sweetness here. Hoping the taste is balanced and not too over the top. Going to call this one a push between BT and CR.

T: All I can say is wow. I graded BT before taking a sip of CR and fully developed an opinion on it first. I must say, this is better. All around the taste simply blows me away. This has to be the best thought out beer I've ever had the privilege of tasting. The way the tastes develop on my palate simply cannot be put into words. The initial taste is boozy, offensively so, but once you become accustomed to it, the booze becomes an afterthought. As soon as the booze subsides, a TON of vanilla, bourbon, oak, chocolate, and dark fruits simply attack the palate. Roasted malts, warming alcohol, and dark fruits finish the beer off perfectly. The complexity and balance is unmatched in craft beer and honestly until you taste it, you could not possibly understand how a beer could encompass so much with each and every sip. A 5 if I've ever had one.

MF: Extremely similar to BT. Not quite as thick as I was expecting, but by no means is it light. It is not syrupy or creamy like other big stouts. The ABV will catch up with you before too long.

O: Overall this was the best beer I've ever had. I'm aware it might not be the highest rated beer on this site, but this was simply the cream of the crop. Blew me away. The drinkability is not terribly high, as the sweetness and extreme ABV are not easy to deal with, but this category is now considered 'Overall,' and overall it is a 5.

4.88/5  rDev +10.4%

man am i glad my brother is a reserve bruery member....shout out to him (rau71) for this one.
beer pours a heavy 30 weight consistancy, lacing decipates immediately, smells of straight bourbon with a hint of vanilla, taste like a dark expresso bean chocolate stout with hints of marshmellow and vanilla, the bourbon profile is extreme but pretty much what i expected from a 19.5% beverage. This beer is awesome, much better than black tuesday in my opinion and definately worth its hype. Might even be my new favorite, the only negative for me is that can be a little hot and its limited availability.

4.88/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

One of the best beers I have ever had. Thick , rich and insane in the complexity dept. Lots of ABV but really noticeable, the chocolate notes are abounding but melded with a lot of dark fruits and thick darkness. So good that it made me verbally say damn and stop to savour the finish. Lots of things are said about Bruery but this is a good indication of the level they are playing at.

4.88/5  rDev +10.4%

It looked marvelous sitting there in it's glass being all pitch black. I tried to look through it to the ceiling but failed. I was like, "Aw, hellz yeah." Some people trip on beers having a head, but I've never been caught up upon that.

It smelled alright I guess.... It smelled a lot like bourbon, which is something I do not like. HOWEVER, compared to normal Black Tuesday I was impressed, and could smell it without thinking, "Science damn this smells like bourbon." I could actually smell other delicious scents instead of being overwhelmed with bourbany odors. I imagine it was as delicious as other people thought Black Tuesday smelled - very.

Once it hit my tongue I nearly creamed myself. I was like, "Hey, I thought y'alls said this had 19.5 ABV?!?" I immediately thought my chain had been thoroughly jerked.... or had it?
So much flavor it's pretty hard to explain. It was a taste explosion of awesomeness. It was a very wee bit chocolatey, but enough to make me notice it. I'm pretty sure the oakey vanilla had some say in there as to why it was so good. I'm at a loss of words to accurately describe what I want to. That's how I feel about Choco-Rain - words cannot precisely explain the flavor so I will not even try very hard. Instead I suggest you try this on your own. I highly recommend it.

The mouthfeel was great. I now know what Zapp Brannigan of Futurama was talking about with his love of velour.

I was also quite impressed by the drinkablity. I sincerely expected it to be something I could only sip on every minute or two. I thought the overwhelming flavors would blow my mind so hard that I couldn't come back to reality for minutes at a time. Quite the contrary, as I wanted to gulp it down and claim the "chugability" of Bud Light.

All in all, this was grand. I would have given it all fives, but I just do not like bourbon. If you love bourbon I expect you'd rate this flawless. I would have given the taste portion six if I could have.

4.87/5  rDev +10.2%

Chocolate Rain... A beer whose unavailability will be the bane of my existence until they choose to bottle that lovely dark liquid.

It is sexy.

Dark and mysterious. It pours thick and almost syrupy looking. Imagine the way a Dark Lord or similar big stout looks, the way it coats the glass, except that it is flat (cask).

Cacao nibs, fudge, roast, oak, alcohol sharpness, bourbon, sweet brown sugar, chocolate, dark chocolate, chocolate... mmm this beer smells good.

Obviously, you can taste the base beer of black tuesday a bit. you get the roast, the bourbon, etc... but the chocolate is really special in this beer, and it takes the front seat.

Magical, amazing. Like the best 60-75% gourmet dark chocolate that you have ever had. the flavor evolves from roasty bitter chocolate to sweet fudgy chocolate and leaves a lingering ruby port type warming finish. It is amazing how many different types of chocolate flavors are going on here.

There is a bit of an alcoholic burn on the back end, but it is not unwelcome enough to hurt the score too terribly. The lingering finish is really quite spectacular. It actually feels like I just swallowed a teaspoon of fudge.

If 'Drinkability' refers to the way Anheuser Bush markets Bud Light, then this is not drinkable. But, by my definition, since I would gladly sip on this for hours, I consider it mighty drinkable (moreso in fact, than several beers that are half the ABV).

I have gone back for repeated tasters of this every time it has been available for me to taste. They shouldn't mess with this recipe (i.e. Cherry Chocolate Rain). Patrick, please just make more of this and sell me cases of it.

4.87/5  rDev +10.2%

Reviewing the Chocolate Rain from The Bruery.
Score: 98

2012 vintage bottle (batch 2) served in my brand new Kate The Great balloon glass and enjoyed on 05/12/12.

Appearance: Pours a jet black color. This looks like motor oil. Completely opaque. A thin layer of brown/milk chocolate head quickly and completely settles. Minimal, oily lacing and minimal retention. This nearly 20% ABV beer is intimidatingly heavy on appearance. 4.5/5

Smell: Rich milk chocolate, vanilla beans and lots of modestly sweet raisin/dark fruit. Smooth molasses. Sweet on the nose, but not Dark Lord sweet. There is a little alcohol heat, but not nearly as much as you'd expect from a 19.5% ABV beer. 5/5

Taste: Sweeter taste than the aroma, but this beer is still far from cloying, "diabetes-inducing" sweetness (or even Dark Lord-like sweetness). Sweet and creamy vanilla and milk chocolate throughout. Ample warming alcohol heat on the midpalate, but no "booziness" flavor in conjunction with this palate sensation. Plenty of bitter cocoa, bourbon and molasses flavors to boot. As the beer layers, I detect a little sweet dark cherry flavor akin to the Black Albert. Just a little bit of oaky/wood flavor.

Mouthfeel: A little short of full bodied. Minimal carbonation. Has a slick mouthfeel that falls between syrupy and oily. Sweet and warming finish. 4.25/5

Overall: Sweet, rich and decadent. This beer is incredibly/surprisingly smooth and drinkable for the ABV. In my opinion, Chocolate Rain absolutely lives up to its hype. I can see why some think it's too sweet of a stout, but I did not think it was. I personally prefer this brew to Bell's Black Note. I doubt I could drink a whole bottle of Chocolate Rain -- be it because of the ABV or the layering sweetness -- but I probably could and would regularly knock this one back during the winter months if it was readily available in 12 oz bottles.

Recommendation: Everyone should seek a bottle of this stuff out to share with a small group of friends.

Pairings: A cocoa-nib rubbed filet.

Cost: $40 for a 750 ml bottle.

4.87/5  rDev +10.2%

Apperearance: black w/ no head

Smell: bourbon, vanilla, chocolate, brown sugar, more vanilla and even more choclate.

Taste: chocolate, port, bourbon, vanilla, oakiness, brown sugar, caramel, and a malty finish. Complex, balanced, drinkable.

Mouth: Very thick and flavorful all the way down. Not much alcohol taste or burn at all amazingly. Can't believe that this beer is this strong and you can't tell. Would have like a little carbonation as it is almost like a port then a beer.

Overall: It's the 2nd best IS I've ever had, with Black Tuesday being the best. I'm shocked by the abv and it is way more drinkable than any other beer or wine of this strength I've had.

Serving type: on-tap at the Bruery release

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is one insane ba stout..easily of of the 5 best I've had..might be the best..the bourbon barrel and vanilla are mixed perfectly here..and the booze is fairly well hidden for such a high ABV beer.

4.87/5  rDev +10.2%

Enjoyed at the Black Tuesday release day. Glad I got there early, as the line looked ridiculous. Had 8 oz. of this.

Pours a black sludge. Looks like some form of motor oil. No head, insanely viscous. Sits there lurking with no motion, like a turbid bog.

Smells. In. sane. Huge bourbon-y vanilla (like, three different types of vanilla), sweet milk chocolate, and supple brown sugared malt assault your nose. Wow. Epic.

Taste is a liquid dessert. Blend this with ice cream, you'd make millions. Dappled vanilla, brown sugar, tons tons tons of sweet milk chocolate, a hint of roasted malt, and a layered bourbon overtone with a hint of roasted chocolate malt melts on your tongue. Amazing flavor.

Just like Black Tuesday, insanely drinkable for the ABV. Now, it's not getting as high of a score from me, as I like to be consistent in my preference for beers with some level of carbonation. While the thick mouthfeel is pleasant enough, I must admit that the pancake flat cask effect could have been enlivened by some bubbles.

4.87/5  rDev +10.2%

A: Black. No head or lacing to be seen. Pure Stout here!

S: Amazing! Wow! Lots of Vanilla, Bourbon, Chocolate, Alcohol. A Seriously intoxicating smell that you could enjoy for a long time.

T: Chocolatey, Vanilla, Bourbon Barrel then the heat. Simply Amazing, again WOW! Great tasting beer.

M: Thick and full bodied but still very smooth. No carbonation.

O: I loved this beer and would love to seek out some again. It's Amazingly smooth, Tastes incredible. Chocolate/Vanilla/Bourbon Barrel Perfection! For it's 19.5% it's even more amazing to be so well integrated. Sip and enjoy this one! Thanks to 4DaLoveOfSTOUT for sharing this with us.

4.86/5  rDev +10%

poured about 6oz from a bottle.

A - Deep space black with brown highlights and a thin brown head, no lacing.

S - Boozy with massive dark chocolate notes. Molasses, vanilla, and dark fruit also contribute to the aroma.

T - Rather copious amount of sweet milk chocolate and vanilla with toffee and dark fruit. The alcohol is there, but it doesn't seem like the 18.5% ABV. It is just so chocolatey, but not overly sweet.

M - Medium with lighter carbonation and an alcohol burn at the end.

O - This was excellent to try and I highly recommend it. I'm not sure I would buy it, but it was awesome!

4.85/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

750mL bottle acquired through the Reserve Society. The Bruery has apparently stopped bottle dating but this is the 2013 vintage just released in April. Served in a Red Brick snifter.

Pours jet black with about one finger of brown head. Head receds to a tiny halo which doesn't lace. Swirling my glass shows nice thick legs that fade slowly.

Smells incredible! Bourbon chocolate cake and vanilla dominate with oak, roast and booze thrown in.

The nose, while excellent, couldn't prepare me for how awesome this tastes. Rich chocolate cake, strong yet smooth bourbon, vanilla bean ice cream, sweet creamed coffee, booze soaked dark fruit, heavy roasted malts, that kind of funky sweet almost signature Bruery yeast character and a little alcohol burn. So freakin delicious with the rich flavors coating my tongue. The alcohol is present but this drinks so smooth like only half of it's 18% abv bill.

Thick, heavy, chewy, viscous feel with light carbonation. Coats the mouth for a long, sweet bourbon chocolate cake aftertaste.

Truly outstanding! This was one of the main reasons I joined the Reserve Society and I couldn't be happier. So rich and full. Even better than the already stellar Black Tuesday. Very highly recommended.

4.85/5  rDev +9.7%

This is martha stewarts double fudge brownies meets yoohoo spikes with pappys. unbeliveable when paired with some nice aged cheese and salami. had it right after a sour and it is one of those that your imediately mad you dont have another in the cooler or cellar. delivers a fudgy aftertaste that is not soon forgot. supreme stout

4.85/5  rDev +9.7%

Reviewed from notes as JLindros and I split the bottle as part of our RS membership. Review #1000!

A - Holy shit!!! Thin mocha head atop a blackish brown hued pour. Outstanding with so much lovely legs!

S - TONS of chocolate and bourbon! Big, big vanilla comes through as it warms with nice light malt too. So much chocolate and bourbon. Like a Kentucky candy bar.

T - ¡¡¡¡¡¡ZZZOOOMMMGGG!!!!111 Liquid chocolate bars tempered with vanilla and bourbon. Rich, quality ingredients as well. Sweet zombie Jesus! So, so phenomenal with outstanding barrel notes, absurd amounts of silky chocolate. I really don't know how to put this into words. Its a silken chocolate gusher candy filled with bourbon and vanilla explosions. Unreal.

M - Mouthfeel is silk in my mouth. 19.5%...go F yourself! This can't be higher than 9%! I simply dont believe it, shanangins! Its thick and silky and almost coats the mouth. Its like a Geology field trip to Berkshire county all over again testing particle (grain) size on my tongue. Is this silt? Clay? No...its a colloid!!

O - This is a velour fog in my mouth covered in a velour bedspread, all of which is tucked into a too small velour uniform. Kif, inform the men!

4.84/5  rDev +9.5%

On cask at The Bruery on Black Tuesday. Four ounces gravity poured into my tulip glass... multiple times.

Black beer with no head. Viscous in appearance, coating the sides of the glass as I swirl it. Not exactly Triple Bock or milkshake level thickness, but nice looking. Cannot fault the lack of head, as Chocolate Rain is pushing boundaries here--it is not intended nor expected to be carbonated.

The nose contains copious fumes of oaky bourbon, sherry, maraschino cherries, vanilla, and loads of sweet malts, chocolate included. Personally the chocolate was not something I could put my finger on, but I am sure it added to the overall sweet, decadently rich character of this creation. The vanilla addition was quite evident. The taste of Chocolate Rain echoes the bouquet, but the variety of sweet malts and vanilla overpower the bourbon and barrel qualities of the base beer. The end result is a syrupy dessert beer with a lot more vanilla and dark fruit.

The deliciousness of the beer is unquestionable to me, but the balance of the original BT gets lost a bit. A beer of this magnitude is usually either incredibly boozy or balanced with things such as malt sweetness, bourbon, or espresso. What Black Tuesday did so well was deliver the oak, bourbon, and malt qualities all at the same time to create a beer where everything is married together in near perfection. The addition of vanilla bean and cocoa nibs (not to mention the factor of lack of carbonation) amps up the sweetness to overpower the oak/bourbon. If you dig syrup, this might be your preferred brew. The feel is thick and despite being still was quite refreshing and very easy to drink. I finished my first pour of this before I even knew what had happened. The alcohol is just about nonexistent in this, which is absolutely preposterous. I had to go straight back for another pour. Then another... then... let's not get too much into details.

4.84/5  rDev +9.5%

Epic thanks to BackFat for letting me get a healthy pour of this beer on DLD 2012.

A: Like many of the release-day RIS beers of current day, it is a deep dark brown with a thin coffee head. It still manages to retain a small head, unlike Dark Lord.

S: Dark chocolate. A quick bit of sweetness at first, but its just like a raw chocolate candle in front of your face. I really go for sweet beers, like Curmudgeon's Better Half, so I immediately got excited.

T: You remember the first time you went and bought a young's double chocolate stout, rogue chocolate stout, or anything else that said "chocolate"? A little part of you was really hoping it would be like the real thing. All the beers until now fell short. It is literally like eating a vanilla dipped chocolate bar. Sweetness is just perfect. The vanilla was present but did not take away too much from the chocolate in my opinion. It's just amazing all around.

M: So creamy. The conditioning all around leaves a mouthfeel i'll never forget. The chocolate lingers, as it should - it's the star of this beer.

O: This is one of the beers that have made it into my personally acclaimed "best things i have ever put into my mouth" list. I took one sip of this beer, looked at BackFat and said, "I feel like I just cheated on my girlfriend" Others have reviewed this beer and said it has too much chocolate, but thats why this is a forum - lots of this goes on personal taste and preference. Chocolate Rain hits just about every thing I want in a beer. Cheers!

4.84/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 5

2015 vintage poured into a Teku glass.

L - Medium dark brown with minimal tan head that dissipates quickly.

S - Very heavy bourbon with a bit of chocolate/vanilla sweetness.

T - Bourbon up front followed by delicious sweet chocolate, a bit of vanilla, and some faint coffee.

F - Thinner than I would have liked, but typical of a lot of barrel aged stouts, and light carbonation.

O - This was my first big Bruery stout and it did not disappoint. For such a high ABV, I was surprised at the minimal amount of alcohol "burn." Definitely a decadent, slow sipper and a must try.

4.83/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is monster in all aspects burley is probably a better word. Review is on a 2012 bottle over a year old that was shared with friends.

A- Pours like a porter/stout with lots of alcohol/sugar legs. Small to almost no head retention.

S- WoW smell is of big chocolate, vanilla/bourbon, sugar, and oakiness.

T- Taste is of chocolate and vanilla with slight dark fruit smells. Leaves a fantastic after taste of bourbon/vanilla and chocolate. Alcohol shows up big so be ready to be warmed up.

M- Very viscous with good carbonation full bodied beer that is sweet yet balanced considering the abv. Liquid dessert if you ask me.

Overall, this beer is a masterpiece unto itself. The base beer BT I say is slightly better but I’ll never say no to CR. Always ready and willing to have. If you can find, and if you have collateral, make the trade. Beer lives up to the hype and more.

4.82/5  rDev +9%

In the Beer 2000 (the rest of this voice should sound like Conan O'brien)... Oh man, never thought I would reach 1000 let alone 2000, holy crap! To do it, one of my long (about 1 year) sought after beers, Chocolate Rain, "Some stay dry and others feel the pain" (Tay Zonday eat your heart out). Shared with rudzud as our shared RS membership dictates.

As it pours, it looks a bit lighter than I expected as it's flowing slowly out of the bottle. A light fizzy head forms, darker colored I think although hard to tell, fades almost instantly, although typical for ridiculous abv beer, over a very dark beer, not quite pitch black, with hints of light sneaking through the edges, and I mean HINTS. It also wants to have legs, but is more like a layered sleen of beer slowly sliding down the sides of the glass instead of legs.

Nose is just pure chocolate! Awesomeness! Tons of chocolate right out, oh and vanilla!. A big cocoa nib profile wafts out of the glass, not too aggressive at first, but then shows me up quickly, with some cocoa nibs, melted milk chocolate, a bit of baker's and some heavy dark chocolate. The fresh soaked vanilla beans, tons of caramel and molasses to add to the richness. A bit of booze, but doesn't seem like 19% yet. It brings that aroma of a brick of almost pure dark chocolate, there's so much chocolate! so many exclamation points!. A hint of cinnamon leads to some brandy and bourbon soaked raisin, vanilla, some oak and bourbon. The vanilla really builds as it warms.

Taste, ooohhh man, knee buckling, luckily I peed before I sipped this. it just erupts with pure chocolate! It reminds me a lot of the huge brick of the super dark chocolate I used to get at Trader Joe's which I would shave slices off, and let them just melt over my tongue, and the result is almost exactly like this experience. Various layers of chocolate melting all over my mouth, bakers', dark, milk, cocoa nibs, etc, etc, and also etc. Then comes vanilla, with all the descriptors I did for chocolate, vanilla is just behind it (well mostly after it warms). Some toasty oak barrel, vanilla, pure vanilla bean and richness. Some bourbon comes through as well, not strong, but enough to let you know, with a light bourbon soaked raisin like flavor. It drinks like 9% not 19%, smooth and rich, and just a light bitterness. A touch of biscuit adds some malted milk ball flavor. Finish is super long, mouth coating, tons of vanilla, chocolate, dark choc, light bourbon, oak, booze, and just a touch of bitterness, linger for what seems like forever, and even burps up flavor of awesomeness hours later.

Mouth... holy shit, this has to be the best mouth feel I've ever had in a beer!!! it doesn't even seem like a beer, more like velvet, velour, essence of pour silk, and everything in between, all having sex with the hottest chic in the world in heaven, wrapped in melted dark chocolate, and served on a naked hot Japanese woman, ala sushi, etc. There really isn't a word to describe the mouth feel. If I could vote for higher than 5, this mouth would go to 11. It even tickles my gums on each subsequent sip, literally tickles!

Overall... gggmmmsssshhhgggguguuuaaahhhgggrrrlllggguuh.

4.82/5  rDev +9%

A: Dark brown, like cola with no head. Appears very thick when swirled with nice legs.

A: Dark chocolate, marshmallow sweetness, slight vanilla. Smells like dessert deliciousness.

T: Dark roasty chocolate malty sweetness. Divinely amazing.

M: Thick but not uncomfortable. Light carbonation leads to smooth viscosity. Aftertaste is fantastic.

D: Heaviness and high ABV make this one to be shared. This would be an excellent nightcap. I enjoyed this more than Black Tuesday and wish it were bottled.

4.82/5  rDev +9%

After waiting in line for about 4 hours with my good buddy Kris...I was able to enjoy an 8 oz. pour of this much anticipated beer.

A: Black and thick...really couldn't get any bolder in both categories. The only disappointment was the lack of head and lacing, which was probably due to the cask serving, but I'll give this beer the benefit of the doubt.

S: Incredibly robust dark and milk chocolate upfront followed by assortment flavors including vanilla bean (similar to that you find in Dreyer's Vanilla Bean ice cream), some dark fruits, and tons of brown sugar. Extremely complex and robust...and would say improves the aroma of the original BT.

T: Immediate brown and white sugar sweetness upfront that I'm not sure is incredible or too much followed by hints of chocolate, molasses, wood, and dark fruit. I would put this in my top 5 in terms of flavor and a definite enhancement on the original BT. Would probably give this a 5.5 if I could! The only knock is the strong alcohol finish and aspartame (not sure if that is spelled right...Victor please correct me) flavor afterwards.

M: Full body with basically no carbonation. Again, I attribute this to the cask...and in my opinion, was served too cold for this style.

D: Overall, I like the aroma and flavor immensely...but I found myself having trouble finishing my glass. Mixed emotions about this brew, but still epic in my opinion.

Overall: I think I prefer regular BT over this, but this is a close second. A must try. Cheers!

Chocolate Rain from The Bruery