Chocolate Rain - The Bruery

Wants: 2,282
The Bruery visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  18.50% ABV

Beer added by: mikedashg on 10-28-2009

Black Tuesday with Vanilla Bean & Cocoa Nibs.

2011: 18.5% ABV
2012: 19.5% ABV
2013: 18.0% ABV
2014: 18.5% ABV
4.85/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

750mL bottle acquired through the Reserve Society. The Bruery has apparently stopped bottle dating but this is the 2013 vintage just released in April. Served in a Red Brick snifter.

Pours jet black with about one finger of brown head. Head receds to a tiny halo which doesn't lace. Swirling my glass shows nice thick legs that fade slowly.

Smells incredible! Bourbon chocolate cake and vanilla dominate with oak, roast and booze thrown in.

The nose, while excellent, couldn't prepare me for how awesome this tastes. Rich chocolate cake, strong yet smooth bourbon, vanilla bean ice cream, sweet creamed coffee, booze soaked dark fruit, heavy roasted malts, that kind of funky sweet almost signature Bruery yeast character and a little alcohol burn. So freakin delicious with the rich flavors coating my tongue. The alcohol is present but this drinks so smooth like only half of it's 18% abv bill.

Thick, heavy, chewy, viscous feel with light carbonation. Coats the mouth for a long, sweet bourbon chocolate cake aftertaste.

Truly outstanding! This was one of the main reasons I joined the Reserve Society and I couldn't be happier. So rich and full. Even better than the already stellar Black Tuesday. Very highly recommended.

4.85/5  rDev +6.8%

This is martha stewarts double fudge brownies meets yoohoo spikes with pappys. unbeliveable when paired with some nice aged cheese and salami. had it right after a sour and it is one of those that your imediately mad you dont have another in the cooler or cellar. delivers a fudgy aftertaste that is not soon forgot. supreme stout

4.85/5  rDev +6.8%

Reviewed from notes as JLindros and I split the bottle as part of our RS membership. Review #1000!

A - Holy shit!!! Thin mocha head atop a blackish brown hued pour. Outstanding with so much lovely legs!

S - TONS of chocolate and bourbon! Big, big vanilla comes through as it warms with nice light malt too. So much chocolate and bourbon. Like a Kentucky candy bar.

T - ¡¡¡¡¡¡ZZZOOOMMMGGG!!!!111 Liquid chocolate bars tempered with vanilla and bourbon. Rich, quality ingredients as well. Sweet zombie Jesus! So, so phenomenal with outstanding barrel notes, absurd amounts of silky chocolate. I really don't know how to put this into words. Its a silken chocolate gusher candy filled with bourbon and vanilla explosions. Unreal.

M - Mouthfeel is silk in my mouth. 19.5%...go F yourself! This can't be higher than 9%! I simply dont believe it, shanangins! Its thick and silky and almost coats the mouth. Its like a Geology field trip to Berkshire county all over again testing particle (grain) size on my tongue. Is this silt? Clay? No...its a colloid!!

O - This is a velour fog in my mouth covered in a velour bedspread, all of which is tucked into a too small velour uniform. Kif, inform the men!

4.84/5  rDev +6.6%

On cask at The Bruery on Black Tuesday. Four ounces gravity poured into my tulip glass... multiple times.

Black beer with no head. Viscous in appearance, coating the sides of the glass as I swirl it. Not exactly Triple Bock or milkshake level thickness, but nice looking. Cannot fault the lack of head, as Chocolate Rain is pushing boundaries here--it is not intended nor expected to be carbonated.

The nose contains copious fumes of oaky bourbon, sherry, maraschino cherries, vanilla, and loads of sweet malts, chocolate included. Personally the chocolate was not something I could put my finger on, but I am sure it added to the overall sweet, decadently rich character of this creation. The vanilla addition was quite evident. The taste of Chocolate Rain echoes the bouquet, but the variety of sweet malts and vanilla overpower the bourbon and barrel qualities of the base beer. The end result is a syrupy dessert beer with a lot more vanilla and dark fruit.

The deliciousness of the beer is unquestionable to me, but the balance of the original BT gets lost a bit. A beer of this magnitude is usually either incredibly boozy or balanced with things such as malt sweetness, bourbon, or espresso. What Black Tuesday did so well was deliver the oak, bourbon, and malt qualities all at the same time to create a beer where everything is married together in near perfection. The addition of vanilla bean and cocoa nibs (not to mention the factor of lack of carbonation) amps up the sweetness to overpower the oak/bourbon. If you dig syrup, this might be your preferred brew. The feel is thick and despite being still was quite refreshing and very easy to drink. I finished my first pour of this before I even knew what had happened. The alcohol is just about nonexistent in this, which is absolutely preposterous. I had to go straight back for another pour. Then another... then... let's not get too much into details.

4.84/5  rDev +6.6%

Epic thanks to BackFat for letting me get a healthy pour of this beer on DLD 2012.

A: Like many of the release-day RIS beers of current day, it is a deep dark brown with a thin coffee head. It still manages to retain a small head, unlike Dark Lord.

S: Dark chocolate. A quick bit of sweetness at first, but its just like a raw chocolate candle in front of your face. I really go for sweet beers, like Curmudgeon's Better Half, so I immediately got excited.

T: You remember the first time you went and bought a young's double chocolate stout, rogue chocolate stout, or anything else that said "chocolate"? A little part of you was really hoping it would be like the real thing. All the beers until now fell short. It is literally like eating a vanilla dipped chocolate bar. Sweetness is just perfect. The vanilla was present but did not take away too much from the chocolate in my opinion. It's just amazing all around.

M: So creamy. The conditioning all around leaves a mouthfeel i'll never forget. The chocolate lingers, as it should - it's the star of this beer.

O: This is one of the beers that have made it into my personally acclaimed "best things i have ever put into my mouth" list. I took one sip of this beer, looked at BackFat and said, "I feel like I just cheated on my girlfriend" Others have reviewed this beer and said it has too much chocolate, but thats why this is a forum - lots of this goes on personal taste and preference. Chocolate Rain hits just about every thing I want in a beer. Cheers!

4.83/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is monster in all aspects burley is probably a better word. Review is on a 2012 bottle over a year old that was shared with friends.

A- Pours like a porter/stout with lots of alcohol/sugar legs. Small to almost no head retention.

S- WoW smell is of big chocolate, vanilla/bourbon, sugar, and oakiness.

T- Taste is of chocolate and vanilla with slight dark fruit smells. Leaves a fantastic after taste of bourbon/vanilla and chocolate. Alcohol shows up big so be ready to be warmed up.

M- Very viscous with good carbonation full bodied beer that is sweet yet balanced considering the abv. Liquid dessert if you ask me.

Overall, this beer is a masterpiece unto itself. The base beer BT I say is slightly better but I’ll never say no to CR. Always ready and willing to have. If you can find, and if you have collateral, make the trade. Beer lives up to the hype and more.

4.82/5  rDev +6.2%

In the Beer 2000 (the rest of this voice should sound like Conan O'brien)... Oh man, never thought I would reach 1000 let alone 2000, holy crap! To do it, one of my long (about 1 year) sought after beers, Chocolate Rain, "Some stay dry and others feel the pain" (Tay Zonday eat your heart out). Shared with rudzud as our shared RS membership dictates.

As it pours, it looks a bit lighter than I expected as it's flowing slowly out of the bottle. A light fizzy head forms, darker colored I think although hard to tell, fades almost instantly, although typical for ridiculous abv beer, over a very dark beer, not quite pitch black, with hints of light sneaking through the edges, and I mean HINTS. It also wants to have legs, but is more like a layered sleen of beer slowly sliding down the sides of the glass instead of legs.

Nose is just pure chocolate! Awesomeness! Tons of chocolate right out, oh and vanilla!. A big cocoa nib profile wafts out of the glass, not too aggressive at first, but then shows me up quickly, with some cocoa nibs, melted milk chocolate, a bit of baker's and some heavy dark chocolate. The fresh soaked vanilla beans, tons of caramel and molasses to add to the richness. A bit of booze, but doesn't seem like 19% yet. It brings that aroma of a brick of almost pure dark chocolate, there's so much chocolate! so many exclamation points!. A hint of cinnamon leads to some brandy and bourbon soaked raisin, vanilla, some oak and bourbon. The vanilla really builds as it warms.

Taste, ooohhh man, knee buckling, luckily I peed before I sipped this. it just erupts with pure chocolate! It reminds me a lot of the huge brick of the super dark chocolate I used to get at Trader Joe's which I would shave slices off, and let them just melt over my tongue, and the result is almost exactly like this experience. Various layers of chocolate melting all over my mouth, bakers', dark, milk, cocoa nibs, etc, etc, and also etc. Then comes vanilla, with all the descriptors I did for chocolate, vanilla is just behind it (well mostly after it warms). Some toasty oak barrel, vanilla, pure vanilla bean and richness. Some bourbon comes through as well, not strong, but enough to let you know, with a light bourbon soaked raisin like flavor. It drinks like 9% not 19%, smooth and rich, and just a light bitterness. A touch of biscuit adds some malted milk ball flavor. Finish is super long, mouth coating, tons of vanilla, chocolate, dark choc, light bourbon, oak, booze, and just a touch of bitterness, linger for what seems like forever, and even burps up flavor of awesomeness hours later.

Mouth... holy shit, this has to be the best mouth feel I've ever had in a beer!!! it doesn't even seem like a beer, more like velvet, velour, essence of pour silk, and everything in between, all having sex with the hottest chic in the world in heaven, wrapped in melted dark chocolate, and served on a naked hot Japanese woman, ala sushi, etc. There really isn't a word to describe the mouth feel. If I could vote for higher than 5, this mouth would go to 11. It even tickles my gums on each subsequent sip, literally tickles!

Overall... gggmmmsssshhhgggguguuuaaahhhgggrrrlllggguuh.

4.82/5  rDev +6.2%

A: Dark brown, like cola with no head. Appears very thick when swirled with nice legs.

A: Dark chocolate, marshmallow sweetness, slight vanilla. Smells like dessert deliciousness.

T: Dark roasty chocolate malty sweetness. Divinely amazing.

M: Thick but not uncomfortable. Light carbonation leads to smooth viscosity. Aftertaste is fantastic.

D: Heaviness and high ABV make this one to be shared. This would be an excellent nightcap. I enjoyed this more than Black Tuesday and wish it were bottled.

4.82/5  rDev +6.2%

After waiting in line for about 4 hours with my good buddy Kris...I was able to enjoy an 8 oz. pour of this much anticipated beer.

A: Black and thick...really couldn't get any bolder in both categories. The only disappointment was the lack of head and lacing, which was probably due to the cask serving, but I'll give this beer the benefit of the doubt.

S: Incredibly robust dark and milk chocolate upfront followed by assortment flavors including vanilla bean (similar to that you find in Dreyer's Vanilla Bean ice cream), some dark fruits, and tons of brown sugar. Extremely complex and robust...and would say improves the aroma of the original BT.

T: Immediate brown and white sugar sweetness upfront that I'm not sure is incredible or too much followed by hints of chocolate, molasses, wood, and dark fruit. I would put this in my top 5 in terms of flavor and a definite enhancement on the original BT. Would probably give this a 5.5 if I could! The only knock is the strong alcohol finish and aspartame (not sure if that is spelled right...Victor please correct me) flavor afterwards.

M: Full body with basically no carbonation. Again, I attribute this to the cask...and in my opinion, was served too cold for this style.

D: Overall, I like the aroma and flavor immensely...but I found myself having trouble finishing my glass. Mixed emotions about this brew, but still epic in my opinion.

Overall: I think I prefer regular BT over this, but this is a close second. A must try. Cheers!

4.81/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2012 vintage bottled, served in fff teku at the abs ballers meeting.

Obsidian with ruby tint, no lasting head or lacing, strong alcohol legs.

Strongest vanilla I have gotten off a beer on the nose, boozy, chocolate. The vanilla hit quickly and bites hard but lets go long enough to enjoy the roasted coco, oak, sweet molasses notes. Very sweet, pretty boozy, but very pleasant bourbon heat.

Full body, low carbonation, chewy, warm etoh.

Amazing beer but still needs a year or two longer on that vintage for the vanilla to mellow, I was bummed the coco nibs didnt shine through as much, but still, this is liquid gold, eould love to try older years!

4.81/5  rDev +5.9%

Notes from a tasting on 8/15. not sure who brought this one, but i can tell you that it was far and away the highlight of the tasting. i had a batch 2 recently (review still needs to be added), and i can tell you it is a different beer entirely from batch 1. batch 2 is not bad by any stretch of the imagination, but batch 1 is simply magic in a bottle.

Batch #1!!!

a - poured a watery black with no head at all, looks kind of sludgy, but has that darkness of the devil's soul.

s - a hint of rubbing alcohol with a salm in the face of amazing gourmet chocolate and the perfect dosage of vanilla glazed on top. some toasted coconut in the background to round out the nose. really just marvellous, my mouth is watering.

t - HOLY MOLY!!! Huge vanilla with rich decadent chocolate. Still pretty hot, but beautiful. everything is in it's right place. the vanilla is divine. not a vanilla bomb, but a dessert.

m - a bit hot, but silky smooth. for a beer this huge, it blows you away how great it drinks.

o - FAR superior to batch 2. FAR FAR FAR superior. this beer is unreal. the entire group was floored by it and i don't think one of us didn't peg this as the top beer of the evening (and it was in good company with rare, black note, pappy eclipse, and other big guns). we even gave some sips to a table of ladies next to us and they too were blown away that "a dark beer" could taste so good. when we told them the ABV, they thought we were lying.

4.81/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2012 vintage. 750 ml bottle poured into 10 ounce Kentucky Bourbon Stout snifter.

A: Pours pitch black with a cream colored head that fights to just cover the top of the beer before quickly dissipating into a nearly non-existent ring around the edge of the glass. Minimal head is to be expected from a beer of this size. Obvious alcohol legs with each swirl and sip.

S: Booze soaked dark fruits. A definite port-like character. Dark chocolate and brown sugar. Some vanilla-bourbon presence, but well integrated with the other aromatic complexities.

T: First impression, "this is better than Black Tuesday." The cocoa nib additions cut some of the intense sweetness; not to say this isn't a sweet beer (obviously given the ABV), but less so than the base beer. Picking up more roast in the back end than with normal BT. The cocoa addition is apparent with a nice bittersweet baker's chocolate presence. Over the course of this tasting, I've picked up flavors of plums, chocolate, caramel, burnt chocolate, coffee, and vanilla throughout. Ends milk chocolate and espresso, followed by alcohol warmth.

M: This beer is about as thick as it gets; borderline syrupy. Minimal carbonation and slick on the tongue. An appropriate mouthfeel for supporting the massive flavors and complexity of this one.

O: Excellent beer, one I prefer over the 10 and 11 vintages of Black Tuesday (the only vintages I've had).

4.8/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Served out of a 750 ml bottle into a snifter. It was really an amazing beer. It poured extremely dark with very limited carbonation. The smell was full of chocolate. The taste was an abundance of chocolate with a big boozy alcohol taste.

4.79/5  rDev +5.5%

Bottle (2009)

The Bruery
Orange, CA

(Aged for 2+ years)

The body of the beer is near black throughout, with very dark brown edges, and a very thin dark brown head. The beer leaves thin, wispy, specks of stick to the glass.

The aroma of the rich, dark chocolates is simply divine. Roasted malt, bourbon, and a hint of coffee complement the chocolate as well, but this is a chocolate lover's dream in a glass. There's also perhaps a bit of earthy vanilla and sweet cream. The aroma is rich, decadent, and incredible. It doesn't get much better, if at all.

The flavor is rich and transformed--a much different beer than Black Tuesday. The rich, earthy, bittersweet flavors of chocolate come through first and foremost, alongside barrel/bourbon character, vanilla, and whipped cream. There's a presence of alcohol warmth but it's not at all distracting and small in accordance with the beer's ABV.

Full bodied with low to moderate carbonation. A wonderful dessert sipper. Decadent.

Incredible, though I prefer Black Tuesday.

4.79/5  rDev +5.5%