2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Chocolate Rain - The Bruery

Chocolate RainChocolate Rain

The Bruery visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  19.50% ABV

Black Tuesday with Vanilla Bean & Cocoa Nibs.

2011: 18.5% ABV
2012: 19.5% ABV
2013: 18.0% ABV

(Beer added by: mikedashg on 10-28-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,306 | Reviews: 235 | Show All Ratings:
ucis

1.1/5  rDev -75.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Cocoa sweet boozy drain pour. I want with all my heart to praise this beer and to say that what I gave for it was remotely worth it. I wouldn't trade a six pack of your favorite AB-INBEV product for another bottle. Overly sweet, overly misplaced boozy in a very non clever way. This smelled like something my brother would have cooked up in his "cooking class" when he was postulating drug addled kittens. The mouth feel was nice and thick, like poisonous pancake syrup.

I'm sorry.
adieu

(2013 bottle...maybe this is ten years too fresh)

09-09-2013 14:32:34 | More by ucis
paper_tiger

1.36/5  rDev -69.9%

I was very excited to try this beer last summer at a tasting event, and there was a ton of buzz among the patrons about it. I unfortunately bought into the hype.

The flavors were poorly blended, with the general consensus among my group that the flavors were akin to cheap malt liquor with chocolate syrup added in. This also describes the mouthfeel, which was quite thick, almost silty, like chocolate milk made with Hershey's syrup.

I normally love a stout with deep chocolate flavors, but this just did not do it for me, and seemed more like a gimmick than a true attempt at crafting a quality product.

If nothing else, the name is cute.

03-06-2014 03:40:21 | More by paper_tiger
cpetrone84

pour is dark chestnut brown with very little thin light tan head. The nose is huge, faint notes of chocolate, cloying sweetness, light ash note, tons of booze and a complete mess. The taste is almost as bad. The booze is overpowering, the sweetness is insanely high, it is completely unintegrated, the faint notes of actual malt body are completely blanketed by the huge abv and under attenuation. The body is thick and heavy, high carbonation. The burn and finish are similar to straight liquor mixed with pure sugar.

05-03-2012 15:54:20 | More by cpetrone84
CLevar

2.05/5  rDev -54.6%

I feel compelled to share this rating, if only to warn people away from trading away their first born for this beer.

Bomber shared with the MN crew! Thanks! Cloudy pitch black pour into a small snifter, no head, only a spare light brown ring. Smells like a bottle of vanilla extract, slight bit of chocolate coco powder coming through after the taste is in the mouth. Huge, messy and sweet smelling, cut by a nose burning alcohol. Wow, huge boozy flavor. Almost thin tasting. Flavor is booze, vanilla, and slight chocolate, messy ash. Odd carbonation level, feels like almost harsh bubbles and thin. I really like BT, but this beer does not live up to the hype at all. Just a thin, boozy mess, that burns the throat and nose. Don't buy into the hype.

04-23-2011 03:00:41 | More by CLevar
arminjewell

Colorado

2.05/5  rDev -54.6%

Pours deep oily black with white head. Aroma is like vanilla extract, with slight notes of chocolate, alcohol, and slight wood. Taste is boozy vanilla, some chocolate, lots of alcoholic boozy sweet, not a good finish with harsh booze. Wow, did not expect this,but really not well done, boozy mess.

04-23-2011 03:01:02 | More by arminjewell
Mebuzzard

Colorado

2.3/5  rDev -49.1%

At 18.5% abv this beast can sneak up on you. A nice looking beer, pouring dark with ruby highlights. Goes downhill from there.

For a beer called 'Chocolate Rain' there's a crap-ton of vanilla in it. The nose is sweet and vanilla. Other things exist, but they are pounded mercilessly by Mr. V.

And the taste is vanilla. Sweet and dull. That flavor just pops out and kills enjoyment of other flavors, like cocoa (little) and caramel (very little). Drain pour here.

Could pair well with ice cream, or something else too sweet...like cotton candy.

05-05-2012 16:35:13 | More by Mebuzzard
MatSciGuy

2.35/5  rDev -48%

[Bottle] shared by Armin, Caleb and Greg. Thanks guys! Pours cloudy black with almost no head. Aroma is sickening vanilla extract, massively sweet, quite boozy, some chocolate. Holy shit this is hot. Lots of booze - man, this has got some massive burn, vanilla, can’t really drink much of this. Not awfully sweet on the flavor - the vanilla really thins out the mouthfeel. Retronasal is straight burn. WTF, this isn’t even enjoyable. Anyone who claims to perceive any complexity in this beer is either drinking hard alcohol daily or kidding themselves.

04-23-2011 02:58:17 | More by MatSciGuy
spdyfire83

Ireland

2.35/5  rDev -48%

39th Review
Bottle to snifter.
2009 Vintage

A huge thanks to Mike (mtep13) for sharing this at our DL Variant & Other Ticks Tasting in Chicago. Stoked to finally try this whale.

L: Deep mahogany – almost burnt brown, but not quite black. Thin auburn head that disappears quickly. Does not look as thick as I expected.

S: This smells like a fresh plate of dark chocolate/fudge brownies with a touch of vanilla. Very, very sweet smell with a hint of alcohol coming off the nose.

This is where the beer falls apart. Sad, but true (at least in this review).

T: Hot and un-balanced. From the first sip, this beer was not enjoyable. Hints of chocolate, vanilla, and a little molasses, but all of these flavors are over-powered by the booze. Totally unenjoyable.

M: Thin mouth-feel; not what I was expecting. I had hoped and thought it would be more sludgy and thick, but it’s not. More disappointment.

O: Just awful. I hate to say this, but I was really excited for this beer and it is simply overrated. Too boozy, not thick enough for the style, and a complete disaster start-to-finish. I can’t help but think this beer is overhyped after trying it. I would never trade for it going forward, but it is possible this bottle could have been off. I’m thinking not, but maybe so. I will not go out of my way to try this again in the future, but if it happens to land in front of me, I’d be willing to give it another shot.

10-11-2011 06:13:51 | More by spdyfire83
MaartenvanDoorn

Netherlands

2.49/5  rDev -44.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

The beer was poured from a bottle into the glass. It looks really dark and nice. It also smells good: very complex. However, I did not like the taste. Not balanced, too sweet and it also did not taste like 'beer' at all. The beer is also very heavy, a very dominant alcohol and sweet chocolate taste. Overall, the first impression of the beer was good but the taste is disappointing.

09-27-2013 07:16:38 | More by MaartenvanDoorn

2.5/5  rDev -44.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass. Shared with my brewing friends. Served at 50*. 2013 vintage. I am reviewing this as a representation of a barrel aged stout and nothing more.

A- Pours a deep brown/black. Minimal head that disappears quickly. No light is passing through. Viscous liquid, and due to the high alcohol, it leaves legs on the glass. Not what I usually look for in a barrel aged stout.

S- BOOZE and CHOCOLATE. This thing is a mess. Upfront, I get a lot of sweet sweet sweet bourbon, vanilla, and chocolate. Aromas of toasted coconut and burnt sugar follow right behind. The aroma gave me diabeetus. So far, I don't understand why people are crazy about this. It smells like a Hershey's chocolate bar (cheap chocolate) mixed with Wild Turkey 101 bourbon.

T- Guh.... Cloyingly sweet. More of a mess than I was even expecting. It was boozy, hot, chocolaty, and very sweet. I may have grabbed a bottle of Hershey's syrup instead of chocolate rain. The alcohol is not masked at all. It seemed quite amateur. It doesn't taste like it was expertly crafted.

M- The lack of any real carbonation just made this sit in my mouth. It coated me teeth and gave me cavities.

O- Ok, The Bruery. I understand you guys like your big bottles and fancy wax, but please make the beer taste better. This whole badass, high alcohol, wax dipping thing appeals to high school lacrosse players, but the beer inside doesn't deliver a level of sophistication that I expect from a $40 bottle of beer. This was a total mess and a huge disappointment. I really don't understand the hype.

08-04-2013 20:36:55 | More by Michigan
mtep13

2.63/5  rDev -41.8%

Cracked this at a recent Chicago tasting. http://beeradvocate.com/forum/read/4132653

Thanks again Matt (exitmusic00) for hosting.

This beer was poured into a taster glass.

A: Deep dark brown/black. The beer had minimal light transmission, lacing, and head. The pour and swirl demonstrated a thin, low viscosity beer.

S: Chocolate brownie/hot cocoa on the nose. Subtle hints of vanilla

T: Lots of booze up front which quickly fades. Vanilla and brownie batter flavors linger after the booze is gone.

M: Mouth feel is thin with little carbonation.

O: I was excited by the hype of this beer. Unfortunately, the hype left me disappointed. The beer lacked the complexity that I would expect from this particular style. With a name like “Chocolate Rain”, I expected rich complex chocolate flavors that were simply not present in this beer. I am thankful for the opportunity to sample this beer. I would give this beer another try, but would not participate in a trade for this beer again.

10-15-2011 18:13:06 | More by mtep13
kojevergas

2.81/5  rDev -37.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Served on-draught at Beer Belly in Koreatown last night. 19.5% confirmed. Cost was $7.00 USD for an 8 oz pour. Served into a tulip. Expectations were extremely high; I love Black Tuesday. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a half finger head of milky light khaki colour. Retains for 1.5 minutes, reducing to a floater ring which itself remains for about 3-4 more minutes. Body colour is an opaque solid black; not quite a jet black but dark. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. I remember Black Tuesday looking far better and richer. Given the gargantuan ABV, I think the head retention is pretty impressive. Pretty good for the style overall.

Sm: The first thing I noticed about the beer when the bartender handed it to me was the aromatic pungent vanilla bean notes. Chocolate, cacao nibs. Dark malts. Molasses. Raisin. Boozy, but nowhere near as much as you'd expect for 19.50%. Caramel. No yeast character is detectable. Syrup. Light vinous notes. Powerful and strong, but not as rich or evocative as I recall Black Tuesday being. A bit disappointin,g but inviting overall. Certainly not alive.

T: Molasses, chocolate malt, dark malts, caramel, raisin. Light vinous character. No roast, to my chagrin. Sweet vanilla bean on the climax; a bit overbearing and creme-brulee esque - definitely too sweet, but not quite cloying. Hot and boozy; it's unpleasant but tolerable. I expected far more from the chocolate/cacao based on the aroma, but it's not rich or high quality at all. Surprisingly shallow depth of flavour. Syrupy and imbalanced. Aside from the alcohol, flavour intensity is actually fairly restrained for the style. No subtlety here at all. Not getting any barrel or wood notes. Average flavour duration.

Mf: Syrupy and thick. Undercarbonated. Smooth and wet. Not at all ideal for the style or flavour profile. Really underwhelming. Average presence on the palate.

Dr: THIS is based on Black Tuesday? THIS is highly sought after and heavily traded? Boy am I disappointed. A boozy mess with lackluster balance and few remarkable characteristics. Honestly, I wouldn't order this again. I'm shocked at its high ratings. Is Grey Monday as mediocre as this? I expected way better having loved Black Tuesday. This emperor has no clothes; I'm sorry for those of you who pay The Bruery exorbitant membership costs just to have the purported privilege of buying bottles of stuff like this. I pray the bottled version is better. I'm almost tempted to figure that the bar didn't serve or store this right, but Beer Belly has quite a good reputation. Wow, I did not see this mediocrity coming. What a waste. Very mundane.

Low C

06-20-2013 21:02:27 | More by kojevergas
DavoleBomb

2.88/5  rDev -36.3%

Poured into a snifter, about 6-7 oz. 2011 vintage (Batch 2).

3.0 A: Deep brown/black color. Head fell just about as soon as it was made.

4.0 S: Surprisingly, the booze is fairly well hidden, in the the nose at least. Big roastiness, lots of sweetness, but reasonable. Chocolate, vanilla, molasses, and leathery bourbon. Coffee underneath. It's intense, but it doesn't have much of the subtlety or complexity that I like to discover in the style.

2.5 T: Big roast, lots of chocolate, caramel, and molasses. Vanilla with oak underneath. Big leathery bourbon. Uncontrolled sweetness and booze, but not quite as bad as BT '11 was.

3.0 M: Heavy body. Good moderate carbonation. Too thick and chewy though otherwise okay.

2.5 D: This is undoubtably tough to drink and no one in my 'burgh tasting group cared for it.

07-18-2012 00:04:47 | More by DavoleBomb
Florida9

2.95/5  rDev -34.7%

2009 Vintage

A: Very dark brown, almost black, in color. Forms a thin dark tan head that quickly reduces to absolute nothingness. No lacing.

S: Loads of chocolate and cocoa with hints of vanilla and molasses.

T&M: The first thing you notice is how thin this beer feels in the mouth. Almost watery, but then the alcohol kicks it and it becomes thin, watery, and hot. The only flavor is chocolate. Cheap, shitty, chocolate mixed with alcohol. Lower carbonation.

O: This beer tastes as if someone took Nesquick, mixed it with water instead of milk, then dropped in a couple of shots of vodka. There is absolutely no depth or complexity to this beer and it is oddly thin for a Imp Stout as well. Drinkable, but certainly doesn't live up to hype.

10-11-2011 01:55:39 | More by Florida9
dmsohyea

2.98/5  rDev -34.1%

Poured at the Bruery 3rd Anny fest. Taster glass.

A: Dark brown to black with almost no light penetration. Very small brown head and no lacing or retention. Very viscus.

S: Smell is exceptional. Tons of chocolate and brown sugar. A strong vanilla extract scent as well. Booze is very detectable.

T: Tastes like chocolate liquor. So much alcohol taste it ruined the rest of the flavors for me. I was able to gather some brown sugar, lots of bitter chocolate, and a hint of vanilla. But it mostly tastes like a vodka soaked chocolate bar.

M: Mouth feel is mostly burning and harsh. Oily consistency with almost zero carbonation.

O: A great smelling beer that just has too much alcohol taste for my palate. I prefer smooth beers, and this is far from smooth.

05-30-2011 18:13:55 | More by dmsohyea
iadler

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Another bottle at the recent tasting. One beer I never thought I would try. Thanks Mike for bringing this! Poured into a snifter. '09 bottle.

A- Pours a dark brown with some red highlights near the thin mocha head. No lacing is left behind.

S- Uncooked dark chocolate fudge brownie batter, roasted malt, hint of dark fruits, vanilla wafers, and some sweet booze. Very nice.

T- Holy hell, this is hot. The ABV was fairly hidden in the aroma, but it attacks the taste buds with relentless force. The brownie batter is there with some black cherry roasted malt, and a bit of vanilla.

M- Medium carbonation and body. Thinner for what I was expecting from such a big beer. Finishes very boozy.

O- This was a pretty disappointing beer. Really boozy and not too complex. The aroma was the best attribute. Am I glad I got to try it? Absolutely. Would I trade my cellar for it? No.

10-11-2011 00:41:40 | More by iadler
TMoney2591

2.98/5  rDev -34.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

Served in a wedding snifter.

For whatever reason, I still feel a decent amount of pride in the fact that I still have not seen the "Chocolate Rain" video in its entirety. Regardless, this stuff pours a very dark black-brown topped by a half-finger of wan sandstone foam. The nose comprises cheap boozy whiskey, wood, and a twinge of chocolate syrup. The taste holds notes of overly-sweet chocolate syrup, vanilla bean, toasted caramel, and bourbon. I don't ever say this, considering my sweet tooth is as long as an average femur, but this stuff was just way the hell too sweet for its own good. It's cloying, o'erwhelming, and wrong. The body is a hefty medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a semi-chewy feel. Overall, I don't get the praise this beer receives. I like incredibly sweet things, and it was too sweet for me. The bourbon is only there to color things in a drunken manner and provide an extra jolt of booziness, which itself is completely unnecessary, given the general booziness already pervading the proceedings. It was hard to finish my glass of this, and that worries me a bit. Not a fan.

09-02-2013 18:10:35 | More by TMoney2591
Torgo

Bottle from our RS membership. Dark black pour, almost no carbonation and an aroma of vanilla and ethanol. Flavor is a combination of vodka, vanilla beans(picture a vanilla vodka black russian) a little bit of chocolate and finishes thin and very hot. I loved Black Tuesday(and really expected to love this one even more), but this was a bit of a let down. Out of all the beers we’ve received from our membership so far, this was the worst.

05-07-2011 01:40:36 | More by Torgo
coreyfmcdonald

Georgia

3.33/5  rDev -26.3%

750ml bottle split a few ways

A: Very light for an imperial stout with minimal head. Not very good, but I guess it could be worse.

S: Tons of milk chocolate and vanilla sweetness with caramel and bourbon and tons of booze.

T: Very strong milk chocolate and vanilla again. Booze is a bit overpowering, but doesn't make the beer undrinkable. Bourbon is again strong, but a bit in the background. Very sweet and not very refined or complex.

M: Fairly thick mouthfeel with low carbonation. A bit too low on the carb.

O: This is a sweet boozy unrefined milk chocolate bomb. It's certainly not bad, but it's certainly not world class.

07-08-2012 23:11:39 | More by coreyfmcdonald
Jeffo

Netherlands

3.43/5  rDev -24.1%

Lucky to get some of this stuff from a couple regular trading buddies of mine. Cheers to jbeatty and hotpipes for the bottles.

From a 750ml bottle into a snifter
Second bottling

Note: We drank this right after the 2011 batch of Black Tuesday, so much of this review applies there as well.

APPEARANCE: Luckily this one didn't gush like BT'11 did. Both beers pour very similar though. A very transparent, thin, and relatively light brown pour yields a thin, loose, bubbly, off-white head with lousy retention. Head quickly fades to a thin ring, which eventually vanishes as well. Looks flat by the end and absolutely no lacing at all. Much too thin and transparent for the style as well. Very disappointing; clearly worse than older vintages of the Black Tuesday.

SMELL: Quite a bold nose on this one. Chocolate notes for sure with a good dose of bourbon barrel. Oak and a touch of vanilla in there as well. Still boozy with lots of bourbon barrel, though the cocoa mellows it out a bit and it's not as harsh as Black Tuesday. Lots of chocolate and barrel, though not much stout per se.

TASTE: Lots of cocoa up front, accompanied by plenty of bourbon, oak and vanilla from the barrel. Booze and a touch of roasted malt through the middle, then a big, boozy burst at the swallow with some vanilla and chocolate following through. Big, bold and boozy aftertaste of bourbon, oak, vanilla and enough cocoa linger and linger on the palate. This is very much Black Tuesday plus cocoa and vanilla. A boozy, flavorful desert beer. Boozier than the '10 and '09 vintages of Black Tuesday for sure.

PALATE: Medium-light body with medium levels of carbonation. A little lighter than the base beer, and definitely lighter than older vintages of Black Tuesday. Goes down with a decent burn after the swallow and finishes rather sticky on the palate. Lots of heat lingers. Too light and harsh really. A little challenging here.

OVERALL: This is a huge beer for sure. The nose and flavor are quite decadent, thought it suffers from being wholly too hot right now. This and the '11 Black Tuesday were way hotter than I remember the 2010 and 2009 vintages of the base beer. Moreover, the look was sad and the feel simply too light and harsh to really be an enjoyable drink. While the appearance is a lost cause I'm afraid, some time will hopefully let the booze mellow and the feel smoothen out a bit, which will move this in the right direction. There is a lot of potential here, but there's too much "big" in the way. Thanks again for the bottles boys. I look forward to seeing how this one develops with a couple years on it.

06-23-2012 12:24:04 | More by Jeffo
tarheels86

3.43/5  rDev -24.1%

750mL gold wax shared at Woodshop 7. Pours a full haze mahogany, muddy. Tepid to zero carbonation. Nose is sweet tomato paste, big milk chocolate, sweet bourbon, dark cherry juice. Taste is very sweet, bourbon heavy, loads of brown sugar. Very sticky and cloying. More like an American Strong Ale, no imperial stout character (bitter, roast, hops). More akin to the Firestone Walker anniversary series. Somehow a lighter SRM than Black Tuesday. 7/3/7/3/13=3.3

07-18-2013 22:38:32 | More by tarheels86
beagle75

Iowa

3.59/5  rDev -20.6%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a snifter.
2011 vintage

A: Opaque, dark brown color showing some light transmission at the edges. No foam head develops and no lacing remains on the glass. Fine brown sediment settles out.

S: Concentrated chocolate syrup that gives an impression of overt sweetness to come. Boozy vapors are profuse, heady, not leaving much room for some of the finer details of oak and spirit-aging.

T: Begins sweet, with a medley of overpowering dark flavors that begin predictably chocolatey before revealing considerable plum fruit. Cloying alcohol reigns throughout the profile. The finish is nutty, tasting distinctly of walnuts. Wood influence is not well-represented, athough vanilla extract seems to go hand-in-hand with the booziness.

M: Thick viscosity, very hot and syrupy on the palate, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: Impossibly extreme, though focused, stout that effortlessly overwhelms the palate with booze. While remarkable in some respects, it proves extremely fatiguing upon the palate. To paraphrase another drinker present at this tasting, it is easier to drink straight bourbon than this beer. Let's not be hasty--although the sentiment is not completely unfounded. This legendary project beer is best taken in small doses, or with a decadent dessert to help cut the alcohol.

05-27-2013 18:54:53 | More by beagle75
Rifugium

3.6/5  rDev -20.4%

First had: bottle as a "gift"
2012 bottle labeled as 19.5%ABV

Refrigerated for about a half hour, and allowed to slowly warm while drinking. Decanted into a Bruery snifter, dark cola brown color, translucent around the edges, with a thin, wispy tan head. No real lacing, but a streaky, oily film is left on the glass. Nose is pretty much straight up bourbon and dark chocolate. Taste is pretty hot with booze (my throat is burning as we speak), bourbon is the first thing to hit the palate, followed by dark chocolate, sweet vanilla extract, with notes of oak and cocoa powder. Chocolate definitely comes out more as the beer warms. It's sweet and boozy, basically, with some chocolate in it. A bit chalky in the finish. Body is on the heavier side of medium, but not at all full. The booze cuts back on the drinkability a bit, and I'd like to taste it after a year or two of aging, but that probably won't happen. Pretty good overall, but there are plenty of other chocolate beers out there that are better, made better, and of course much easier to obtain.

Tasty enough. Worth a try? Sure. Worth the hype? No. And I'm not going to give a super-high rating just because it's rarity. Easily the best Bruery beer I've had so far, but just further convinced me that all Bruery beers are overrated. I have other Bruery beers in the cellar, but I'm pretty much done going out of my way for them.

05-15-2012 23:13:04 | More by Rifugium
Brew33

3.6/5  rDev -20.4%

Chocolate Rain Batch 2

Pours a jet black beer with a few bubbles breaking the surface. Syrupy and heavy in the glass, looks like I expected. Menacing....

The aroma is downright bad. Booze. The strongest alcohol aroma I've ever encountered in a beer. I thought I may just have the beer too cold (around 42 degrees) so I let it sit for 15 minutes and revisted, re-sniffing throughout the 90 minute session. Harsh alcohol, solvents, chemical aromas. As it warms, more of the beer and bourbon show up but it's REALLY boozy. Nothing like any of the BT vintages I've had.

The flavor is rich, sweet, and hot. Bourbon is light but there. Vanilla and Chocolate are more forward. The alcohol is very present but works into the whole package. Sweet, decadent, boozy, syrupy, bourbon, vanilla, char, roast, sweet dark fruits. Tasty but way over the top.

The mouthfeel is perfect for the style, perfect. Heavy, thick, syrupy. No way to complain about it!

Overall, meh? Good. I'd happily drink it but I prefer regular Black Tuesday. And while it's a cool beer and it has a ton going on it's just not worth the price and effort for a non RS member to obtain. Glad I got to try it and it was a perfect beer for Christmas.

12-26-2012 14:13:43 | More by Brew33
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

3.65/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I decided to review the bottled version because I thought it tasted significantly different than the tap version which I really enjoyed.

Pours no head. Same color as regular CR. Dark caramel brown, nearing black.

Aroma: Similar to the tap version. Very nice and warming. Tons of vanilla, oak, and bourbon. A lot of sweetness.

Taste: Way too hot and boozey. This takes a lot away from the beer. Too compared to the tap version. Not nearly as enjoyable. The other flavors are still there, but they are masked by the alcohol.

Mouthfeel: hot and then some. Light to medium bodied for the style and the abv. Lower amount of carbonation. Ends kind of clean.

Overall, not nearly the same as the tap version. I didn't like it as much. Too hot for me. Not overly complex for what it is.

11-16-2011 01:18:22 | More by mothman