Chocolate Rain - The Bruery

Wants: 2,515
The Bruery visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  18.50% ABV

Beer added by: mikedashg on 10-28-2009

Black Tuesday with Vanilla Bean & Cocoa Nibs.

2011: 18.5% ABV
2012: 19.5% ABV
2013: 18.0% ABV
2014: 18.5% ABV
Reviews: 303 | Hads: 2,344
3.72/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Had a 2015 poured into a snifter.

Very dark brown in color, not black as I would have expected. Head diminished quickly.

Overall flavor profile was nice, but I could not get beyond the cloying sweetness… I expected this beer to be sweet, but it was above and beyond what I had expected. Flavor notes of chocolate, raisin, vanilla, molasses.

The alcohol was hidden well. Although you knew it was a big beer, I didn’t think it drank like it was 18%+.

Overall, I was happy to try this one but I was not a huge fan of it. I would not seek it out.

4.68/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is hands down my favorite Breuery beer so far (have not had Tuesday yet). It is not nearly as hot as some of the other high abv offerings. In fact, I would say at 18.4 % it drinks more like 11-12.
Tons of sweet chocolate, vanilla, oak, and brown sugar. Nice, smooth bourbon compliment. It is sweet without being too rich or cloying. Like a bourbon infused chocolate mouse or cream pie. The body is outstanding. This is truly a world class beer and a must experience one.

4.97/5  rDev +12.4%

2015 bottle poured into a snifter and shared with friends. The look (upon pour) was extremely dark with a small amount of head and lacing. The smell is similar to Black Tuesday; I got heavy vanilla, cocoa and semi-sweet chocolate on the nose. The flavor of chocolate really takes over here! I also noticed caramel and molasses in addition to the smells aforementioned above. The mouthfeel is definitely full bodied with low carbonation. Overall this beer is surprisingly easy to drink given its super high ABV. This one definitely lived up to the hype in my opinion. Worth seeking out, cheers!

4.02/5  rDev -9%

Large shared 2013 bottle that went quickly!

Sweet aroma with some alcohol esters precedes an even boozier and markedly sweet flavor.
Near cloying sweet level.
Little chocolate before the aftertaste, and then it's more milk than dark chocolate.

O: didn't quite live up to its reputation.

4.41/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle poured into a oversized wine glass, 2015 edition

A- pours dark brown, almost black on color with a small foamy off-white head that eventually disappears completely

S- dark chocolate and cocoa nibs up front mix with marshmallow cream, vanilla, bourbon, melted toffee, fudge brownies & a hint of tobacco

T- big blast of sweetness hits the palate with tons of dark chocolate, cocoa, melted marshmallow, vanilla cream, bourbon barrel, toasted oak, caramel, melted toffee, chocolate cake. Boozy finish with notes of port wine on then linger

M- medium-heavy body with low carbonation leads to a slightly foamy mouthfeel and a warming boozy finish

O- definitely a simpler, loaded with chocolate and vanilla at drinks like a fine port wine or sherry

4.36/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2013 vintage

L - Pitch black. Slight dark brown on the edges. No head at all.

S - Massive sweet bourbon and chocolate with marshmallow and a touch of alcohol.

T - Very sweet with that bourbon barrel which is overpowering everything else. I've had Black Tuesday and I will say that this has some more candy-like, sugary flavors. There's definitely a chocolate presence. but I wouldn't say there is a vanilla bean flavor as I interpret it as more of a sugary vanilla extract which just adds to the overkill of sweetness from the bourbon.

F - I mean, it's an 18.00% BBA stout and it feels as such. The sweetness can get cloying, but I don't care that much. It's very sticky with some alcohol presence, but I expect that with such a gargantuan beer.

O - This is, as expected, a giant BA Bruery beer. It has the roasted notes and alcohol of Black Tuesday, but the chocolate and vanilla flavors are most definitely there to add complexity and even a dessert-like component to this. I think the alcohol taste can be a bit much, but it still is subdued for 18.00%. This is a sipper for sure with enough confectionery notes to add complexity to the base Black Tuesday and make Chocolate Rain its own being.

4.37/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2015 vintage poured into a Bruery Reserve tulip.

L - Dark brown with minimal tan head that dissipates quickly

S - Very heavy bourbon with a bit of chocolate/vanilla sweetness

T - Bourbon up front followed by delicious sweet chocolate, a bit of vanilla, and some faint coffee. Good amount of booze burn.

F - A little thinner than I would've liked. Med/high carbonation.

O - Another very good Bruery stout. Some booze burn here but still drinkable as well. Very decadent and sweet beer.

Bottle share at Courtyard & Cellar for Toppling Goliath Mornin' Delight release!

750ml Bottle.

Very smooth. Very complex. Very sweet. Lots of chocolate. Alcohol is completely hidden. Jet black in color. One of the best beers I have ever tasted! Highly recommended.

3.51/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Look is a deep black with a very minimal dark head. Though not as dark or as opaque as expected.
Smell is of chocolate and not much else
taste is overpowering chocolate. To much chocolate and to sweet for me. I didn't get any other flavors or alcohol burn over the chocolate
mouthfeel is fairly thick given the high abv
overall I would not seek this out again. Simply too much chocolate for me. Like an alcoholic chocolate milk or something

A total package stout.

Huge vanilla notes and chocolate whifs with dangerously smooth bourbon notes. This beer is complete, it needs nothing more, it was a little thin but it needed to be. Huge oak and vanilla, again and again. Good lacing from cold to warm. Pitch black monster from the chocolate depths!

I was so pleasantly surprised by this beer. Very thankful to finally conquer this brew! Fantastic.

A hot mess with no huge whifs of any fudge or chocolate or vanilla.

4.57/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

The mouthfeel and taste come together almost like alcoholic chocolate milk. For the abv, it's not as hot as I expected. I think Mocha Wednesday may have this beat, but that may be my preference for coffee. Great beer.

4.63/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

From notes on 6/27/15

Opened this bottle with 3 other people. Probably a good thing since it is so big. Pour a thick black body with pretty much no head. Huge sweet cocoa aroma. Almost overwhelming taste. Just a ton of cocoa and vanilla with lots of bourbon. It has a pretty strong bite on the tongue. You can tell there is a lot of alcohol. Still, I very much so enjoyed this beer.

4.2/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2015 bottle Poured from the bomber into a snifter.

No head on the pour but it pours viscous like a dessert liqueur. The color is dark brown with amber hues. Laciness over the body. 3.75

Barleywine meets imperial stout. Very thick with malt of the chocolate and caramel variety but also raisin-y. Oatmeal cookie and tobacco and barrel aromas. 4.25

Maple syrup like flavor with a bold oak taste and rich chocolate. Vanilla and cocoa join the mix. Lots of sweet flavors swirl into a syrupy flavor. 4.25

Yeah, it's syrupy and sweet, viscous and almost entirely lacking in carbonation. Approaches a digestif in feel. 4

Tasty but man, this is sweet and syrupy.

4.96/5  rDev +12.2%

Here it goes. Pours out a dark brown color. Not quite black. Smells absolutely divine. Like bourbon soaked brownie batter with some vanilla. Taste follows suit with dark fruits popping. I'm not sure where that 19.5 percent alcohol is, but it's dangerous. Medium full mouthfeel with a nice warming on the backend. Slightly better than black Tuesday. Amazing stuff if you have a sweet tooth

4.84/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 5

2015 vintage poured into a Teku glass.

L - Medium dark brown with minimal tan head that dissipates quickly.

S - Very heavy bourbon with a bit of chocolate/vanilla sweetness.

F - Thinner than I would have liked, but typical of a lot of barrel aged stouts, and light carbonation.

O - This was my first big Bruery stout and it did not disappoint. For such a high ABV, I was surprised at the minimal amount of alcohol "burn." Definitely a decadent, slow sipper and a must try.

4.24/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a dark brown with little lacing. Surprisingly htwo finger.head which disappeared quickly. I had this one night after drinking regular bourbon county and there are similarities here like the way the big bourbon flavor shines through. This one has more chocolate. Milk chocolate candy bar doesn't dominate the flavor but clings to my throat after each sip. There is a fair amount of fruit as well in the flavor an especially in the nose. You get bourbon soaked figs and raisins, but I'm also getting juicier fruits as well, possibly cherries and plums. Coconut is present, but you have to look for it. Sweet molasses too. The mouth feel is really good. It's thin but that's to be expected with this ABV. It still clings to palate which enhances each sip. The carbonation seems just right and the feel is smooth and silky. The vanilla is not prominent. Maybe it has faded since this is the 2013 vintage. The high ABV is a great feature and really sets this beer apart. You don't taste the alcohol burn, but the warming sensation is very nice. I would love to try this again but with so many barrel aged stouts out there, I don't think I'll be looking to trade for it in the near future.

4.52/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Look-color is a surprisingly clear, lightish brown, not unlike milk chocolate, no head at all save for a few stray bubbles.
Smell-TONS of sweet chocolate, booze, and vanilla.
Taste-Loads of milky chocolate upfront, faint notes of caramel, vanilla, some coconut in there as well, and a slight touch of alcohol but nowhere near the level you might except from a beer this big.
Feel-Very thick and creamy, very faint carbonation.
Overall-This beer is a wonderful treat, hopefully i'll be lucky enough to try it again sometime.

4.77/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer lives up to the hype. 2015 taster @ the tasting room on 6/13/15. Pours jet black with no head. Nose is big burbon, chocolate, black malt, sweet base malt. Taste is huge and complex, big burbon, alcohol warmth, dark chocolate, sweet grain. So deep and so complex it's amazing. Mouthfeel was considerably lighter than expected, sitting on a bottle for a year or 2 is recommended to thicken, sweeten, and blend the body and tastes.
Reservation society here I come.

4.71/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Enjoyed a 2013 at a share. Split between 4 peeps.

Obviously this is a very dark beer with very little head, low carb, and fairly thin. These characteristics are typical for the big Bruery stouts.

Unlike the other big Bruery stouts, this has an incredibly complex chocolaty nose and taste. The bourbon is there but takes a back stage. The chocolate comes through big time and the taste is like chocolate milk that is infused with majestic bourbon barrel. Kind of sweet but delicious, not syrupy and a little silky. The booze is non-existence but I only had a portion of the bottle. I would certainly drink more, but a 1/4 of the bottle is perfect, leaves you wanting more and totally content at the same time.

I was very impressed, I will obtain another and enjoy the hell out of it.

4.13/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2014 bottle so about 18 months old
Lighter hue than expected - dark tan more than black with a thin caramel head
Booze up front. some chocolate, but dominated by booze
Hot, more like a liqueur than a beer. overly sweet
thinner than expected, good carbonation

Overall, not what I expected. More like a dessert liqueur than a beer.

4.81/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

this is desert in a bottle. Huge amounts of chocolate, vanilla, and a bit of coffee. The booze is well hidden in this one. Truly a great stout. Bottled in 2013

4.82/5  rDev +9%

Many thanks to RipRap for this bottle; yet another beer I felt compelled to track down after mouthing it at a tasting. Big 750ML bottle, vintage 2014, with the trademark Bruery label & gold wax, split with my wife.

The pour is as expected: minimally carbed, and black as the soul of Adrian Peterson with a maple branch in his hand (or a Twitter account). Smells like chocolate milk that’s been doctored with 268 proof something or other: boozy. Not complex or great, but lovely.

Chocolate Rain is something I’d never carry an umbrella for. The first thing I notice is how toasty I am after taking my first sip, as the alcohol burns a warm track all the way down. I hope it doesn’t feel like that coming out. Massive chocolate notes & enough bourbon to sanitize a moderately dangerous wound leap out of the morass. Big-ass vanilla that would have dominated any other beer doesn’t show up until the mid-palate: damn, I’m drunk already. Fudge, oak, gold star maple syrup. The end is all booze & chocolate. Thicker than my…well, thick. Ridiculously drinkable. I’m not sure I would survive taking an entire bottle myself, but damn, I’d like to try. Then try again.

If ever a beer deserved to have the word ‘decadent’ tattooed into its foamy head, it would be C Rain. This is a boozy, chocolate, bourbony, TNT of a beer. It’s also fantastic & fully deserving of… what was I saying? My wife is now speaking tongues. That’s a good sign. Without question a top-shelf beer.

4.04/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

2014: this one wasn't nearly as chocolatey as others (so I've been told). Chocolate and a ton of booz in our bottle. The booziness was overwhelming and hid most of the chocolate and any other depth. The feel was fantastic and would love to try another vintage.

4.24/5  rDev -4.1%

An incredible confluence of flavors. Very smooth and drinkable for 18% abv. This was the highest ABV beer I've had to date. Huge props to my bud A. for sharing this apparent whale. That being said it was too much for me personally. Even beers at 12-13% knock me out, so it takes the enjoyability down a notch. Feeling it this morning.

4.42/5  rDev 0%

Love the Cacao nibs and vanilla presence! The one downfall for me was the body. Relatively light body vs what I was expecting for a 18%er. Great beer, big thanks to Dave Treat for sending this to me!

Chocolate Rain from The Bruery