Chocolate Rain - The Bruery

Wants: 2,451
The Bruery visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  18.50% ABV

Beer added by: mikedashg on 10-28-2009

Black Tuesday with Vanilla Bean & Cocoa Nibs.

2011: 18.5% ABV
2012: 19.5% ABV
2013: 18.0% ABV
2014: 18.5% ABV
Ratings: 2,224 | Reviews: 311
4.85/5  rDev +6.8%

Reviewed from notes as JLindros and I split the bottle as part of our RS membership. Review #1000!

A - Holy shit!!! Thin mocha head atop a blackish brown hued pour. Outstanding with so much lovely legs!

S - TONS of chocolate and bourbon! Big, big vanilla comes through as it warms with nice light malt too. So much chocolate and bourbon. Like a Kentucky candy bar.

T - ¡¡¡¡¡¡ZZZOOOMMMGGG!!!!111 Liquid chocolate bars tempered with vanilla and bourbon. Rich, quality ingredients as well. Sweet zombie Jesus! So, so phenomenal with outstanding barrel notes, absurd amounts of silky chocolate. I really don't know how to put this into words. Its a silken chocolate gusher candy filled with bourbon and vanilla explosions. Unreal.

M - Mouthfeel is silk in my mouth. 19.5%...go F yourself! This can't be higher than 9%! I simply dont believe it, shanangins! Its thick and silky and almost coats the mouth. Its like a Geology field trip to Berkshire county all over again testing particle (grain) size on my tongue. Is this silt? Clay? No...its a colloid!!

O - This is a velour fog in my mouth covered in a velour bedspread, all of which is tucked into a too small velour uniform. Kif, inform the men!

4.52/5  rDev -0.4%

I shared a bottle with the guys the other day, side by side with the 2010 Black Tuesday.

Like BT, this is dark brown with a dense, brown head that recedes to a ring leaving nothing but gorgeous legs. The nose has chocolate, chocolate, vanilla and more chocolate. Intensely decadent, this has brown sugar, vanilla and bourbon. Like BT, it displays an abject lack of roast or coffee aromas, this has plenty of caramel to go with the chocolate. The palate is what you'd expect - chocolate, vanilla, bourbon, brown sugar, no tannins and intensely dessert-like. It's good for what it is, sweet and boozy on the finish, a decadent treat. Full in body with medium-light carbonation, the mouthfeel is rather tremendous. Not as good as the cask version I had, but still, very, very good.

4.02/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

750 ml wax-dipped bottle poured into a Bruery tulip.
18.5% ABV, 2014, Best stored and cellared around 55°F

A - Pouring thick and rich, this (surprisingly) dark brown beer's high alcohol content drives the tan foam to a thin halo almost immediately but, give this boozy beer a swirl and legs will drip down the glass for what seems like forever.

S - Thick soy sauce cakes grain alcohol-soaked raisins while molasses seeps through faint charred oak barrels that once held bourbon. Until the beer sits and really warms up, chocolate isn't even part of the picture but, it's milky nose peeks through with whole vanilla beans for a more pleasant olfactory experience.

T - A trail mix of dark chocolate morsels, booze-soaked raisins, creamy vanilla yogurt bites, and caramel-draped charred oak cubes fill the mouth with potency, almost completely overlapping the bourbon barrel character, save for the whole booze-soaked raisin part. It's damn tasty - much tastier than the outrageous nose lets on, but it's comes across more like straight grain alcohol was added to the beer once inside a charred oak barrel.

M - If it weren't for the onslaught of alcohol, Chocolate Rain might otherwise come across as a thick, throat-coating imperial stout. The truth of the matter is, there's so much freakin' alcohol in this beer that it cuts the full-bodied feel with thinning solvent heat that carries from mid gulp down the throat where it perpetually warms the stomach. It's creamy smoothness makes for a nice sipping beer when the potent alcohol is cast aside, though!

O - Here I sit, reviewing The Bruery's Chocolate Rain in my Bruery hat, feeling kind of silly about that. ...And the fact that I just absently dropped a rhyme. Moving right along... Chocolate Rain shows some serious promise but like Bourbon County Stout, I couldn't possibly see myself truly enjoying this beer fresh ever again. If I crave hard alcohol (which I almost never do) I'll pour myself hard alcohol. Chocolate Rain's Tripel Bock-like soy sauce nose is immediately off-putting but slowly opens up to richer nuances, transitioning into a fuller, more rich flavor of chocolate, vanilla tannins, and some trace of actual beer instead of solvent alcohol. I never age a beer I haven't had fresh but I'll count this as a learning experience; The Bruery's Chocolate Rain will probably be exceptional with 2-3 years of sitting in a cool, dark room on it which is the only way I'll have a bottle of my own next time.

4.16/5  rDev -8.4%

Boom - Chocolate Rain. Huge shoutout to whomever decided to bring this to our tasting. I keep forgetting who brought what, dammit. Anyway, this was a big want of mine, and I'm grateful for not having to search the country for it. Pours a very deep brown color, not quite deep enough to be called black. Even an aggressive, straight down pour produced almost no head - a slight ring that fades to naught rather quickly. Possibly an effect of such a high alcohol content?

The aroma is one of the strongest and most poignant I've ever come across. It fills your nasal cavities long before you finish bringing the beer to your nose. Deep, deep vanilla aromas; dense and syrupy. A bourbon-like alcohol character is strong and robust up front, almost burning the insides of my nose. The bourbon is settled down a bit and held in check by a delicate chocolate that emerges; sweet, milky, and creamy through and through. All of these aromas only intensify as the beer warms up. The bourbon burns more, the malts get sweeter, the vanilla gets more dense. The harshness, the sweetness, the sheer dominance of the nose is quite intimidating - but hey, I would expect nothing less from a 19.5% ABV stout that was this highly acclaimed, right?

The first thing that my taste receptors send to my brain from the moment this beer touches my tongue is, "holy fucking sweet!" The sweetness is very high on this one, right out of the gate - honestly, just a tad overboard. The flavors, however, are very, very nice; baked brown sugar, bourbon soaked licorice and mild dark fruit, heavy vanilla beans, and lots of light, cocoa undertones. There is a solid oak and wood characteristic, front to back as well. As anyone would expect, this one gets much boozier as it warms up - starting off as a bourbon heat, it turns into a hotter bourbon heat accompanied by a slightly phenol or rubbing alcohol kind of heat.

The more and more I drink this, the more and more the vanilla-bourbon flavors stand out to me as the most dominant. The aftertaste is controlled by some light cocoa flavors that are sadly overshadowed by heavy booze. The sweetness also lasts long into the aftertaste, like a boulder rolling down a hill that is very hard to stop. Near the tail end of this beer, the alcohol is much more dominant and it actually helps keep the sweetness more in check. Slick, sticky, slightly thick mouth feel with super low carbonation.

Super glad I got to try this one - my 6 oz. pour was perfect - I would imagine that any more than this would be too much. The flavors were awesome, but there were two main things holding this one back from being a top 10 beer for me: it was a bit too sweet, and it was a touch too boozy and hot, especially as the beer warmed up. I guess that's to be expected from a 19.5% ABV beer, right? So maybe I'm being too harsh. But the beer was still damn good and the flavors were on point. Overall, if this were taken down on the ABV level and the sweetness was controlled a little better, it would easily be a top 10 contender.

4.1/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

A-EBF sample pour. Looks just like Black Tuesday. Dark brown, syrupy and oily. Leaves legs, even in the plastic sample cup.

S-Very fudgy. Like a chocolate liqueur. You can tell it's going to be very sweet. The smell of bourbon slowly rises out of the glass as well. Some dark fruits.

T-Chocolate liqueur. Bourbon infused fudge. Dark fruits. Brownie batter. Vanilla. Whiskey and wood. Very sweet but complex in its sweetness.

M-Oily with a unique feel. Slick. Hot. Sticky and boozy. Lower carbonation.

O/D-As I felt with Black Tuesday, I wasn't totally in love with it but I know it is well worth a try. Not many beers are quite like Chocolate Rain. Some stay dry while others feel the pain...

2.96/5  rDev -34.8%

A: Pours not completely opaque, but dark black with some ruby brown around the edges. A tiny bubbly head forms and recedes to nothing in a second. Looks really still.
S: Very boozy up front. Some bakers chocolate, vanilla and roast comes through. Huge barrel aromas that overpower everything.
T: Like the nose, all barrel and not much else comes through. Some bakers chocolate and vanilla. Light roast. Mostly boozy ethanol and barrel flavors.
M/D: Still carbonation with a thick, gloppy, resinous body. Oh, the alcohol here is rough. Crass and over barring in almost every way. Really hard for me to enjoy this.

Oh man, I just don't get this. Beers like Bourbon County are so much more well rounded and incorporated to me. This is the newest release, so hopefully this mellows with time. Though as is, just over barring and not something I really enjoyed.

4.62/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Review #500!!! Had at the Bruery Reserve Society Party. Served from tap into a Bruery sampler imperial pint. Poured pitch black with a slight brown hue with a half finger tan head that subside to a minimal amount quickly (I blame the ABV). Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass (which was surprising). The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, chocolate, and vanilla. The flavor was of sweet malt, dark chocolate, milk chocolate, vanilla, and alcohol. It had a heavy feel on the palate with mild carbonation. Overall impression: Good God this thing is good! It was truly excellent in all aspects. I can honestly see why so many people have been looking for the bottles that were released now. Glad I have one for myself. It hides the massive alcohol present in this one really really well. Kind of scary if I'm honest. This is an absolute must try, whether it be going to the RS Event or pulling out all of your trading ammo to land a bottle. It is TOTALLY worth it. But it is a sipper, so be warned.

pour is dark chestnut brown with very little thin light tan head. The nose is huge, faint notes of chocolate, cloying sweetness, light ash note, tons of booze and a complete mess. The taste is almost as bad. The booze is overpowering, the sweetness is insanely high, it is completely unintegrated, the faint notes of actual malt body are completely blanketed by the huge abv and under attenuation. The body is thick and heavy, high carbonation. The burn and finish are similar to straight liquor mixed with pure sugar.

4.81/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2012 vintage bottled, served in fff teku at the abs ballers meeting.

Obsidian with ruby tint, no lasting head or lacing, strong alcohol legs.

Strongest vanilla I have gotten off a beer on the nose, boozy, chocolate. The vanilla hit quickly and bites hard but lets go long enough to enjoy the roasted coco, oak, sweet molasses notes. Very sweet, pretty boozy, but very pleasant bourbon heat.

Full body, low carbonation, chewy, warm etoh.

Amazing beer but still needs a year or two longer on that vintage for the vanilla to mellow, I was bummed the coco nibs didnt shine through as much, but still, this is liquid gold, eould love to try older years!

4.32/5  rDev -4.8%

750mL bottle poured into a tulip. Huge thanks to Chris for sharing!

(A)- Pours pitch black with some surprising tan and brown bubbles/froth considering the massive ABV on this thing.

(S)- A very dense but rich burnt caramel and cocoa with vanilla oak. In the far background is a more pronounced rich dark chocolate component. Very nice.

(T)- Similar to the smell, only a far far greater rich and silky chocolate flavor amidst dense caramel and vanilla oakiness. Some heat as well at the end, but definitely not nearly as much as I was expecting on a near 20%ABV beer.

(M)- A mellow carbonation level, but it fits this well. Very strong and rich overall. I like the deep chocolate middle of this beer's flavor profile; that richness definitely helps mask the huge ABV.

(O)- Definitely a fun and successful spin on the regular Black Tuesday. To me it is a bit hotter, but still not as massively crazy going into it. Extremely rich though. I daresay I almost like the regular BT version over this actually.

4.82/5  rDev +6.2%

Many thanks to RipRap for this bottle; yet another beer I felt compelled to track down after mouthing it at a tasting. Big 750ML bottle, vintage 2014, with the trademark Bruery label & gold wax, split with my wife.

The pour is as expected: minimally carbed, and black as the soul of Adrian Peterson with a maple branch in his hand (or a Twitter account). Smells like chocolate milk that’s been doctored with 268 proof something or other: boozy. Not complex or great, but lovely.

Chocolate Rain is something I’d never carry an umbrella for. The first thing I notice is how toasty I am after taking my first sip, as the alcohol burns a warm track all the way down. I hope it doesn’t feel like that coming out. Massive chocolate notes & enough bourbon to sanitize a moderately dangerous wound leap out of the morass. Big-ass vanilla that would have dominated any other beer doesn’t show up until the mid-palate: damn, I’m drunk already. Fudge, oak, gold star maple syrup. The end is all booze & chocolate. Thicker than my…well, thick. Ridiculously drinkable. I’m not sure I would survive taking an entire bottle myself, but damn, I’d like to try. Then try again.

If ever a beer deserved to have the word ‘decadent’ tattooed into its foamy head, it would be C Rain. This is a boozy, chocolate, bourbony, TNT of a beer. It’s also fantastic & fully deserving of… what was I saying? My wife is now speaking tongues. That’s a good sign. Without question a top-shelf beer.

4.81/5  rDev +5.9%

Notes from a tasting on 8/15. not sure who brought this one, but i can tell you that it was far and away the highlight of the tasting. i had a batch 2 recently (review still needs to be added), and i can tell you it is a different beer entirely from batch 1. batch 2 is not bad by any stretch of the imagination, but batch 1 is simply magic in a bottle.

Batch #1!!!

a - poured a watery black with no head at all, looks kind of sludgy, but has that darkness of the devil's soul.

s - a hint of rubbing alcohol with a salm in the face of amazing gourmet chocolate and the perfect dosage of vanilla glazed on top. some toasted coconut in the background to round out the nose. really just marvellous, my mouth is watering.

t - HOLY MOLY!!! Huge vanilla with rich decadent chocolate. Still pretty hot, but beautiful. everything is in it's right place. the vanilla is divine. not a vanilla bomb, but a dessert.

m - a bit hot, but silky smooth. for a beer this huge, it blows you away how great it drinks.

o - FAR superior to batch 2. FAR FAR FAR superior. this beer is unreal. the entire group was floored by it and i don't think one of us didn't peg this as the top beer of the evening (and it was in good company with rare, black note, pappy eclipse, and other big guns). we even gave some sips to a table of ladies next to us and they too were blown away that "a dark beer" could taste so good. when we told them the ABV, they thought we were lying.

4.42/5  rDev -2.6%

Bottle shared at Woodshop 7 at Beachwood BBQ in Long Beach. Thanks to whoever busted this one out. Pours dark brown with a filmy tan head. Heavy sweet boozy and creamy throughout, chocolate liqueur and See’s caramels. Rich and luxurious, ultra-sweet but quite delicious.

4.32/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Bottles shared by two different people today at the Plan Bee Savage release.

Pours a dark amber-brown, a lot lighter than I'd expected. There's no head or lacing at all.

Smells like chocolate milk on steroids. Smells creamy, vanilla and chocolate all over the place, plus bracing alcohol.

And, unsurprisingly, this also tastes like chocolate milk on steroids. It tastes like chocolate liqueur more than beer. Amplified chocolate flavor all over. It tastes like chocolate milk, with about 50 additional Hershey's bars melted into it. There's some sweet marshmallow vanilla flavors. This is so sweet and cloying, the smaller pours definitely helped this stay relevant for me. Much more than 4 oz or so and this would be tiring. The alcohol burn is noticeable, but not quite as prominent as I would've expected.

This is surprisingly and weirdly thin bodied, I thought it would've been fudgy. The mouthfeel is incredibly syrupy and sweet, though, with basically no carbonation.

Quite an extreme beer. Tastes great, but not without its problems.

4.7/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

The beer is black as motor oil.

The aroma has sweet vanilla, some alcohol, bourbon, sweet toffee and molasses, a familiar Black Tuesday aroma, but with punches of dark chocolate come through.

The flavor follows upfront of sweet chocolate and vanilla. Onto hints of bourbon. Toffee sweetness, dark fruits, and then a hit of alcohol on the finish.

Having had multiple vintages, '10 dulls the alcohol very well. '11 is still a bit hot. '13 was obviously the most hot, but the chocolate and vanilla shined through so well. Drink this fresh.

Definitely better than Black Tuesday and its variants. Lovely beer.

4.42/5  rDev -2.6%

750ml bottle into a La Chouffe tulip. Huge thanks to the generous soul who deigned to give me a taste of this at the Batch 3 Rosso release - I never thought I'd get to try this beer.

A: Not as dark as I expected, but still nice: dark brown with reddish-brown highlights and a thin ring of tan bubbles. Almost still.

S: Rich, intense chocolate and alcohol. Sweet, simple, and amazing.

T: Chocolate, coffee, caramel, toffee, sugar, and general sweetness. Less booze than promised by the aroma, surprisingly.

M: Thick and sticky. Just what I expected.

O: This beer delivered precisely what I expected it too: a massive explosion of chocolate sweetness and warming alcohol. It wasn't anything life-changing, but I thought the purpose of the chocolate made its intense sweetness more enjoyable than that of the base Black Tuesday. I would never trade my cellar for a bottle, but I'd love to try another sample of this some day. Tasty beer.

Cheers!

4.49/5  rDev -1.1%

Huge thanks to ArchEnemyBrew for trading me this beer! Thanks Hollis!

Chocolate Rain Batch 2 in a waxed 750 format bottle split 3 ways. An 8-9oz pour served in a snifter at cellar temp.

reviewed from notes taken on 5/18/12.

Appearance: black bodied beer with a thin brown head that drops quickly to no head or ring.

Smell: Perhaps my favorite part of this beer is the nose. Massive gourmet dark chocolates, bitter cocoa, and vanilla notes. Smells like a rich dessert. Hints of oak and bourbon are a bit more subtle. When this beer is at cellar temperature is has no booze in the nose, but as it warms the begins to become noticable. It just smells amazing, I could smell this beer all night.

Taste: Its taste is a little contridictory, but not in a bad way...it both a massive beer yet its mellow too. It pretty sweet, but not quite cloying to my palate because I enjoy sweeter stout over a hoppy stout. The beer opens up with notes of dark bitter chocolates, bourbon, cocoa and they mix with big vanilla notes. You can get a hint of the booze when this beer hits room temperature, but you gotta expect that when a beer is 19.50%.

Mouthfeel: This aspect of the beer also impressed me. Its full bodied beer with low carbonation. Its big, its favorful, mellow, and smooth. The alcohol is warming and has a mild boozey burn to it when at room temp. I think it drinks at an ABV of 12-13% which is impressive when it 19.50%. A sipper for sure. It also surprised me that the beer was not as thick as i expected it to be, but it does have an oily and slick quality to it.

Overall: Really crazy what brewers can do these days to push the envolope of truly big beer while still making it pleasant and palatable. I was impressed by this offering by the Bruery! Honestly, I dont think I would age this beer, I would drink it fresh.

Had this side by side with 2011 Black Tuesday! Gotta say that Chocolate Rain is much smoother and more mellow than Black Tuesday.

4.7/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

167th review on BA
on tap at RS party

App- Its a very dark brown and very dense, it might have been a small pour was a thing of beauty.

Smell- A nice smell here. I haven't had the BT as it's in my cellar and at 18% its too much for me alone. This was perfect. Nice chocolate and other smells of vanilla, and a small bit of alcohol and some roated scents.

Taste- This was amazing. I can see what all the hype was about. I wanted to take all 10 tickets and drink this all day. Pass out wake up and do it all over again. It's a big beer even in a small glass but very glad I had the chance to try it. Had a multitude of flavors that played very well together.

Mouth- A very heavy pour even in a small glass. Very low carbed but very smooth. Its high ABV is present but doesnt overpower you like you think it would.

Drink- I wanted it all day long. It's potent, viscous and big. Very tasty and very pleasant. Patrick and the team knocked it out of the park with this one.

4.35/5  rDev -4.2%

Jeff, you’re the man. Bottle into snifter. Reviewed from notes.

A: A very slow pour yielded a very dark brown almost black color with no head to speak of.
S: Rich and sweet notes of bourbon, marshmallows, vanilla, chocolate and caramel. Bit of roast as well.
T: Big smooth bourbon flavors, sweet caramel, thick chocolate and a touch of vanilla. Flavors are very creamy, smooth and integrated. The finish is full of caramel, and the aftertaste is warm with spicy bourbon and a bit of dark fruit.
M: Super thick body, smooth mouthfeel, slight alcohol warmth but tame. Overall a smooth, rich, creamy, and mellow drinking beer.
O: This is crazy good for a beer so bold and with such a high ABV as this one. Very rich and flavorful, yet wonderfully smooth and integrated. Thanks for the ounces, Jeff.

4.88/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

One of the best beers I have ever had. Thick , rich and insane in the complexity dept. Lots of ABV but really noticeable, the chocolate notes are abounding but melded with a lot of dark fruits and thick darkness. So good that it made me verbally say damn and stop to savour the finish. Lots of things are said about Bruery but this is a good indication of the level they are playing at.

4.02/5  rDev -11.5%

Bottle from dak. Thanks! 2013 bottle (I think) shared with beastmaster. Pours dark brown (thin looking) with no head whatsoever. Big vanilla chocolate nose with huge sweet bourbon and a bit of licorice and woody oak. Big thick mouthfeel, velvety, with low carbonation but not flat. Big burnt sugar and molasses up front, with sweet chocolate syrup on the back end. Bourbon booze burns on the time. Packs quite a flavor punch. Serious sipper with a lingering sweetness that is rather pleasant. Starts great, harsh going down and waaaay sweet, then the linger is fantastic after dinner treat. Age might do this well for that middle portion which makes it tough to deal with more than a small pour (5 oz here). Only two of us, so recapping the rest for tomorrow.

2.94/5  rDev -35.2%

Poured into a snifter, about 6-7 oz. 2011 vintage (Batch 2).

3.0 A: Deep brown/black color. Head fell just about as soon as it was made.

4.0 S: Surprisingly, the booze is fairly well hidden, in the the nose at least. Big roastiness, lots of sweetness, but reasonable. Chocolate, vanilla, molasses, and leathery bourbon. Coffee underneath. It's intense, but it doesn't have much of the subtlety or complexity that I like to discover in the style.

2.5 T: Big roast, lots of chocolate, caramel, and molasses. Vanilla with oak underneath. Big leathery bourbon. Uncontrolled sweetness and booze, but not quite as bad as BT '11 was.

3.0 M: Heavy body. Good moderate carbonation. Too thick and chewy though otherwise okay.

2.5 D: This is undoubtably tough to drink and no one in my 'burgh tasting group cared for it.

4.53/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

75cl bottle, vintage 2012. Generously shared by lunarbrew at a crazy bottleshare last night, 10/5/2013. Poured into a Zwanze 2013 glass.

Review #225.

Looks like Black Tuesday. Pours motor oil and looks like liquid chocolate, like fondue. Opaque, black and chewy. Even came out with a 1cm mocha head that had fairly good retention. Not much lacing. Looks like freakin' dessert.

Heavenly is what I'd call the smell. We had just drank 2011 Black Tuesday before opening up this one, and it smells even better than BT. The massive sweetness of the base BT is tempered a bit by cocoa bitterness and raw vanilla, which is perfect. It's intense and over the top, which is the Bruery for you.

I love how this beer tastes. The sweetness is pretty much a straight up caramel-molasses-sugar bomb. So intensely sweet, but not overly so because of the bigness of the vanilla essence and the bitterness of the cocoa nibs. A good bit of barrel contribution, giving us some sweet bourbon and some oak.

Mouthfeel is BT plus. Medium bodied, basically liquid dessert, much like Bourbon County Stout. Carbonation is low which is expected here. Best thing about it is that there is no booziness whatsoever in this 19.5% beer. Dang! Finish is complex as hell with a nice resinous quality to it. Not too sticky, not too dry. Its great.

This is an awesome imperial stout. Much better than Black Tuesday for sure.. the adjuncts do a great job of taming down BT's ridiculous sugar bomb aspect, and there is no heat in this. None at all. This is a treat, but I would agree that you have to open this bottle with 4-5 other people to be able to fully enjoy this.

3.02/5  rDev -33.5%

2009 Vintage

A: Very dark brown, almost black, in color. Forms a thin dark tan head that quickly reduces to absolute nothingness. No lacing.

S: Loads of chocolate and cocoa with hints of vanilla and molasses.

T&M: The first thing you notice is how thin this beer feels in the mouth. Almost watery, but then the alcohol kicks it and it becomes thin, watery, and hot. The only flavor is chocolate. Cheap, shitty, chocolate mixed with alcohol. Lower carbonation.

O: This beer tastes as if someone took Nesquick, mixed it with water instead of milk, then dropped in a couple of shots of vodka. There is absolutely no depth or complexity to this beer and it is oddly thin for a Imp Stout as well. Drinkable, but certainly doesn't live up to hype.

4.47/5  rDev -1.5%

A-Black in the glass, one finger slightly off white head.

S-Chocolate, vanilla, roasted malt, nice bourbon, slight coffee.

T-Lots of chocolate and vanilla. Great balance, mild bourbon, roasted malt and coffee is there.

M-Heavy to medium in body, nice carbonation.

O-The addition of chocolate and vanilla take BT to another level.

Chocolate Rain from The Bruery