Chocolate Rain - The Bruery

Chocolate RainChocolate Rain

Wants: 2,048
The Bruery visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  18.50% ABV

Black Tuesday with Vanilla Bean & Cocoa Nibs.

2011: 18.5% ABV
2012: 19.5% ABV
2013: 18.0% ABV
2014: 18.5% ABV

(Beer added by: mikedashg on 10-28-2009)
mgp2675

4.1/5  rDev -9.7%

Decided to open this one with a few friends during our annual trip to Maine. Batch #2.

A- No carbonation at all really. Pour was slightly thin, similar to BT. Dark brown in color, not as dark as most stouts.

S- Right up front the chocolate hit me, followed by oak, bourbon, vanilla, dark fruit, toffee, and some burnt notes as well. There is a lot of alcohol on the nose as well. The aroma is extremely sweet, but I expected this.

T- A lot of the same notes in the aroma come through in the taste as well. Dark chocolate, bourbon, and vanilla are the main flavors that come out. The aftertaste is all dark chocolate. Chocolate Rain is definitely not as smooth as BT. There is a huge alcohol presence and although it doesn't taste like it's 19.5%, it's still very obvious that it's high. The taste is extremely sweet, maybe even more than BT.

M- Thinner, definitely not creamy at all. No carbonation.

O- This is good, but not great. It's on par with Black Tuesday if you enjoyed that, but it's different. I feel like both of them are constantly rated high because they're great for having such a high ABV, but that doesn't impress me. I'd rather drink a stout that's 12% and tastes better, but that's just me. There are some exceptionally complex flavors in this that made me happy that I tried it, but I wouldn't seek it out again. It's not very smooth at all and just too sweet for my taste.

08-19-2012 16:51:57 | More by mgp2675

pperez38

08-17-2012 14:37:16 | More by pperez38
illidurit

4.43/5  rDev -2.4%

Bottle shared at Woodshop 7 at Beachwood BBQ in Long Beach. Thanks to whoever busted this one out. Pours dark brown with a filmy tan head. Heavy sweet boozy and creamy throughout, chocolate liqueur and See’s caramels. Rich and luxurious, ultra-sweet but quite delicious.

08-16-2012 05:35:12 | More by illidurit
jlindros

4.85/5  rDev +6.8%

In the Beer 2000 (the rest of this voice should sound like Conan O'brien)... Oh man, never thought I would reach 1000 let alone 2000, holy crap! To do it, one of my long (about 1 year) sought after beers, Chocolate Rain, "Some stay dry and others feel the pain" (Tay Zonday eat your heart out). Shared with rudzud as our shared RS membership dictates.

As it pours, it looks a bit lighter than I expected as it's flowing slowly out of the bottle. A light fizzy head forms, darker colored I think although hard to tell, fades almost instantly, although typical for ridiculous abv beer, over a very dark beer, not quite pitch black, with hints of light sneaking through the edges, and I mean HINTS. It also wants to have legs, but is more like a layered sleen of beer slowly sliding down the sides of the glass instead of legs.

Nose is just pure chocolate! Awesomeness! Tons of chocolate right out, oh and vanilla!. A big cocoa nib profile wafts out of the glass, not too aggressive at first, but then shows me up quickly, with some cocoa nibs, melted milk chocolate, a bit of baker's and some heavy dark chocolate. The fresh soaked vanilla beans, tons of caramel and molasses to add to the richness. A bit of booze, but doesn't seem like 19% yet. It brings that aroma of a brick of almost pure dark chocolate, there's so much chocolate! so many exclamation points!. A hint of cinnamon leads to some brandy and bourbon soaked raisin, vanilla, some oak and bourbon. The vanilla really builds as it warms.

Taste, ooohhh man, knee buckling, luckily I peed before I sipped this. it just erupts with pure chocolate! It reminds me a lot of the huge brick of the super dark chocolate I used to get at Trader Joe's which I would shave slices off, and let them just melt over my tongue, and the result is almost exactly like this experience. Various layers of chocolate melting all over my mouth, bakers', dark, milk, cocoa nibs, etc, etc, and also etc. Then comes vanilla, with all the descriptors I did for chocolate, vanilla is just behind it (well mostly after it warms). Some toasty oak barrel, vanilla, pure vanilla bean and richness. Some bourbon comes through as well, not strong, but enough to let you know, with a light bourbon soaked raisin like flavor. It drinks like 9% not 19%, smooth and rich, and just a light bitterness. A touch of biscuit adds some malted milk ball flavor. Finish is super long, mouth coating, tons of vanilla, chocolate, dark choc, light bourbon, oak, booze, and just a touch of bitterness, linger for what seems like forever, and even burps up flavor of awesomeness hours later.

Mouth... holy shit, this has to be the best mouth feel I've ever had in a beer!!! it doesn't even seem like a beer, more like velvet, velour, essence of pour silk, and everything in between, all having sex with the hottest chic in the world in heaven, wrapped in melted dark chocolate, and served on a naked hot Japanese woman, ala sushi, etc. There really isn't a word to describe the mouth feel. If I could vote for higher than 5, this mouth would go to 11. It even tickles my gums on each subsequent sip, literally tickles!

Overall... gggmmmsssshhhgggguguuuaaahhhgggrrrlllggguuh.

08-15-2012 02:05:15 | More by jlindros
UNCCTDawg

4.13/5  rDev -9%

Batch 2 poured into a Cigar City snifter

Appearance ~ Deep Black/Brown with a small amount of Tan head.

Smell ~ BOURBON, Chocolate, BOURBON, vanilla, BOURBON and some nice almond notes. In case you didn't catch the bourbon, I thought my nose was going to catch on fire it smelled so strong.

Taste ~ This baby is hot, really hot. Chocolate and sugar are really nice, its a good sweet, and not too sweet. Only problem I have with the taste is the overwhelming booze. Great taste after you get past the alcohol.

Mouthfeel ~ Nice, still a little hot, but the aroma hangs around nicely.

Overall ~ This is a quality brew. I think if I have another, i'll hang on to it for a minimum of 3 years before I drink the next one so the hardcore booze calms down. CR is Black Tuesday with cocoa nibs. It's good, but I would have just saved the cocoa and put out more Black Tuesday, BT is much better at hiding the heat. BT is just much better period.

08-10-2012 00:38:47 | More by UNCCTDawg
sliverX

S. Georgia & S. Sandwich Isls.

3.5/5  rDev -22.9%

08-08-2012 16:10:26 | More by sliverX
ThePorterSorter

Missouri

Thanks Tom for sharing Batch#2 and Merc for sharing Batch#1

The beer pours a deep black with no visible head. The nose is cloyingly sweet with a touch of chocolate and way too much booziness. The taste is just as sweet and the immensely overpowering alcohol makes this beer less than enjoyable. I literally feel my palate burning with each sip...and none of the beers rich, chocolaty body comes to my rescue. I assumed the beer would have a velvety smoothness that masked the alcohol, but this is not the case. (Batch #1 is significantly better with far less high octane ethanol and much more chocolaty smoothness). I just don't understand the hype...but I'd recommend getting a Batch#1 over a #2 in any case.

2013 batch shared side-by-side with mocha wednesday and BT
Pours a bit darker than Black Tuesday, very dark brown, some sediment, razor thin head around the perimeter. The nose had a potently aromatic vanilla, some deeper chocolate notes, prune as it warms, caramel sweetness, hints of alcohol. The taste has a big chocolatey sweetness and burning ethanol in the finish. The mouthfeel is sweet, but has a vanilla and chocolate presence that cuts through the ethanol (especially compared to Black Tuesday). It's not as thick and full bodied as expected, but the alcohol is well masked, even when it warms. This beer is noticeably better than the base, really drinkable considering the abv and heavy flavors

08-04-2012 03:00:24 | More by ThePorterSorter
lalaloveyou

3.75/5  rDev -17.4%

08-01-2012 17:18:37 | More by lalaloveyou
enelson

07-30-2012 05:15:25 | More by enelson
Bierguy5

4.65/5  rDev +2.4%

750 ml bottle, 19.5% abv. Very dark brown, approaching black. No head to really speak of, but a very faint tan ring around the edge.

Big whiff of alcohol, even from across the room. Dark chocolate, bourbon and wood.

A bit of sweeter chocolate up front. Heavy notes of bourbon and wood. Perhaps a bit of vanilla comes through to round things out. Chocolate and booze linger on the palate for quite a long time.

A bit light in the body, with an almost oily feel. Alcohol is quite warming, but not overwhelming. Quite the experience.

07-29-2012 19:47:28 | More by Bierguy5
mcallister

4.65/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours brownish red. Thin looking and unimpressive for a stout of this stature.

Big fusle alcohol aromas almost burns my nose hairs. Thick chocolate, vanilla and toasty oak with a nice layer of bourbon. Some dark fruit lies underneath.

Just a killer tasting beer. Layers of sweet melted chocolate, fudge, vanilla bean, bourbon, dried fruits, burnt caramel, toasted oak, very light coffee. Date, black fig, quince and black licorice. Some cherry and currant as well.

Mouth isn't big and thick but oily and slick with alcohol. But fits the beer well and doesn't interfere.

Mmmmm!

07-24-2012 22:58:32 | More by nightwing002
1Adam12

Indiana

4.13/5  rDev -9%

Had 2 bottles. Finally just couldn't wait anymore and had to crack one open. Pours dark black, with zero head, zero bubbles at all. The smell is way too hot. Loads of alcohol, as well as chocolate, roasts, vanilla, and a bit of bourbon. Taste is sweet from the vanilla. Not as much chocolate flavor as Black Tuesday, and also extremely hot. Just too much booze. However, once you get pass the booziness, it is blended nicely. Mellow chocolate, sweet vanilla, and balanced bourbon make the flavor have a lot to look forward to. Mouthfeel, once again, just overrun with booziness. Full, and creamy, but the booze is just too much. Overall, I gave this a 4.5 based on how I think this will develop. I'm going to wait at least 2 years to open my 2nd bottle, and I think this will be amazing once the booziness fades. At the moment, I prefer Black Tuesday over Chocolate Rain, but that could change with some age.

07-20-2012 01:21:13 | More by 1Adam12
DovaliHops

Shared this bottle with the girlfriend and some friends at Eureka! Burger last night. Pours a thick black color with little to no head. Some tiny brown bubbles. Scent is very sweet and boozy. The booze is very up front in the nose, which quickly switches to sweet chocolate and vanilla. Subtle sweet bourbon aroma with more intensified vanilla. Taste is not nearly as boozy as the nose made it seem. Very sweet though. Intense sweet chocolate and vanilla flavors...like literally eating some rich chocolate cake. I feel like there could have been more barrel flavor to this beer...and possibly a little overly sweet. Mouthfeel is full bodied and syrupy. Drinkability is fair, as long as you are sharing it with a good amount of people. Overall, I enjoyed Black Tuesday a bit more. This is a well-crafted beer that most breweries could not pull off (a 19.5 ABV stout that is drinkable!)...just good in small doses. Glad I tried it. I have one more bottle and need to decide whether to age it longer or trade it.

07-19-2012 05:45:35 | More by DovaliHops
DavoleBomb

2.88/5  rDev -36.6%

Poured into a snifter, about 6-7 oz. 2011 vintage (Batch 2).

3.0 A: Deep brown/black color. Head fell just about as soon as it was made.

4.0 S: Surprisingly, the booze is fairly well hidden, in the the nose at least. Big roastiness, lots of sweetness, but reasonable. Chocolate, vanilla, molasses, and leathery bourbon. Coffee underneath. It's intense, but it doesn't have much of the subtlety or complexity that I like to discover in the style.

2.5 T: Big roast, lots of chocolate, caramel, and molasses. Vanilla with oak underneath. Big leathery bourbon. Uncontrolled sweetness and booze, but not quite as bad as BT '11 was.

3.0 M: Heavy body. Good moderate carbonation. Too thick and chewy though otherwise okay.

2.5 D: This is undoubtably tough to drink and no one in my 'burgh tasting group cared for it.

07-18-2012 00:04:47 | More by DavoleBomb
Alieniloquium

4.08/5  rDev -10.1%

750 mL bottle poured into a taster. Batch 2. Reviewed from notes.

Appearance - Dark brown, not quite black. Ruby flecks in the light. Mocha head that's gone pretty quickly.

Smell - Chocolate, bourbon, vanilla, and oak. Nice, until the booze. Wow is it boozy.

Taste - Sugar. Sugar again. Bourbon. Chocolate, then sugar and sugar again. Alcohol rounds it out, I guess. I get the chocolate, but there's no other evidence of a stout in there. Still, it tastes pretty damn good.

Mouthfeel - Sugary sweet. Diabetes in a bottle. 3 or 4 oz. is the most I could drink of this. Excruciatingly boozy.

Overall - It's so over the top. Better than BT, but only because of the chocolate flavor. There's barely a stout back there behind the barrel and chocolate.

07-17-2012 22:50:56 | More by Alieniloquium

07-16-2012 22:17:49 | More by jsilva
Mavajo

Georgia

4.53/5  rDev -0.2%

Do I even need to bother describing the appearance? Pitch black with a very minimal cream head.

This thing reeks of booze and vanilla bean, with chocolate back behind it -- I love it! Taste is the same. Actually reminds me a good bit of World Wide Stout. Big chocolate, licorice, vanilla, "bourbon" (and all that entails) and booze. I keep saying "booze" -- but don't let that fool you. Also, there's some roast on the palate, which I'm extremely sensitive too -- but it's minimal and quickly overwhelmed by the rest of the beer. This is imminently drinkable and smooth, with a nice warming burn as it goes down. Mouthfeel is syrupy, but not overly thick.

I love it, but I think I loved Black Tuesday even more. And quite frankly, I feel like World Wide Stout scratches the same itch pretty well...and WWS is way more readily available.

07-10-2012 22:12:59 | More by Mavajo